48 Hour Ultimatum
It is not war - It is a slaughter! A mammoth war machine, that has not been seen in the history of humankind is about to crush an ant. Even before the so called weapons of mass destruction are touched by a single Iraqi soldier, the destruction of Baghdad will be complete. The ultimatum issued by President Bush is to create panic in Iraqi ranks. Seeing its end so close, Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein may be tempted to initiate attacks either on US soldiers, or on Kuwait or Israel creating conditions for the obliteration of his rule.
At this moment it is futile to preach about the immorality of war or the ethics of peace. President Bush is determined to remove Saddam and he will take his determination to the battlefield. During the crushing of this ant, when our patriotism will be tested every second, many of us will adopt the Bush doctrine and many will retire into silence. But certain brave Americans will definitely stand up for justice. They might be forced to pay a price for their outspokenness in this land of the free and the brave. They might be classified as enemies or anti-Americans but when the dust will be settled, perhaps their questions will become relevant and those who are raising the banners of war today might begin to say, Alas we could have listened to others.
1. The first question that we must ask: Is this war necessary? Why does Mr. Bush insist that this is the time to go to war? The United Nation's inspectors have been reporting progress and the dictator has been destroying certain missiles. There is no hard evidence to suggest that he is manufacturing weapons of mass destruction. If he is, then there must be some evidence for that. If he is hiding some weapons, then someone must at least account for the existence of those weapons. Assumptions are not the foundation for any attacks. So far hard facts have not been presented to convince at least half of the country that this war is necessary.
2. So far, the cost of war has not been projected by the Administration. But some are suggesting that the US will spend between $400 to $900 billion. This is a huge cost that someone will pay. This amount is sufficient to give every American health insurance. This amount could wipe out poverty from the face of earth and this amount could take our education to the highest level. But this amount will now be used to kill people and destroy nature. Perhaps the cost will be borne by the Iraqis. If the future leadership of Iraq refuses to comply without dictates, we may find ourselves again in a situation of war.
3. So far the real goals of war have not been stated clearly. At times, Mr. Bush wants us to believe that it is a war against weapons of mass destruction. Sometimes he wants to believe that the real purpose is to establish democracy in Iraq. Still at other times he wants us to believe that the exit of Saddam Hussein is the prime goal.
The real purpose of war is still unknown. Many experts have argued that the real purpose of this war is to protect our oil interests in the Middle East and the security for the state of Israel.
The state of Israel is itself in possession of nuclear weapons and other weapons of mass destruction. It does not need any protection from Palestinians, Egyptians or Jordanians. One cannot imagine Saudi Arabia or Kuwait and Qatar using their US arms supply to attack Israel. Realistically, no one can challenge the might of Israel in the region. It is, therefore, futile to conduct a proxy war for an ally who will not benefit from this war in any way.
4. President Bush talked about UN resolutions and their non-compliance by Saddam Hussein. But Hussein is not the only ruler who has violated the UN resolutions. Israel and India are in flagrant violations of the UN resolutions. Why is it that India and Israel are not considered dangerous to their regions? After all, Israel is the only country that has used weapons of mass destruction to kill people and destroy their homes and India is the major violator of human rights abuses.
5. Mr. Bush has ignored the opinion of millions of Americans who are opposed to this warmongering. His policy clearly indicates that he is motivated by factors other than democratic. Is he acting on behalf of the powerful lobbies and special interest groups? American lives cannot be put at the altar of a few special interest groups. Perhaps those millions of people will speak in the next election loudly and clearly.
6. The economic recession is destroying the fabric of our country. The war will further recede our economy as being projected by many economists. Mr. Bush, however, believes that the war might boost our economy and create more jobs. This means that if our economy is dependent on wars, then we will need war on a perpetual basis to keep our economy going. This is a dangerous paradigm that will ultimately ruin the social foundations of our country.
7. Mr. Bush's ultimatum is being lauded by many special interest groups including many Christian evangelicals who believe that the showdown with Iraq is a prelude to the second coming of Jesus. They see the Bush doctrine in line with their Biblical interpretation of current events. This is a dangerous trend, as it will make many in the Bush administration feel as representatives of Jesus carrying out his mission and will. This might lead to a conflict on ground with Muslims in general creating hostile conditions for Muslim Americans.
The showdown with Iraq has created a challenging situation for Muslim Americans. They are already a target of attacks and hatred. The coming days are likely to see an increase in anti-Muslim acts as suggested by the FBI. At a time, when the country needs its full resources to combat terrorism, the division within the country will not help the administration win this war.
With the ultimatum, the judgment has now been pronounced. The life of innocent people is at stake. The uncontrollable egos of two leaders and their hawkish advisors have created dangerous conditions for the world. A victory in Iraq will not subside these dangers. Rather, it will increase the destability in the region leading to political conditions that will hurt all of us.
Dr. Aslam Abdullah, Editor in chief, the Minaret and the Muslim Observer
Topics: Conflicts And War, George W. Bush, Iraq, Occupation, Saddam Hussein, Terrorism, War, Weapon Of Mass Destruction
Mr. Bush does not govern by the will of the people but by the grace of five judges on the US Supreme Court. I believe this reason and this reason alone is why he does not listen to the voices of Americans and other nation's people begging for peace and restraint.
How can God bless any nation or person who carries hatred in their heart? Mr. Bush may feel he is the harbinger for the coming of Christ but he may only be the harbinger for the end of mankind. I wonder what the insects will think of the world we will leave to them and their progeny? Will their pray be "God Bless the Humans for destroying themselves"?
"Be ye not afraid of them, but fear Me, if ye have faith." [3:175]
ASALAM ALAYKUM BROTHERS AND SISTERS ALLAH SUBHANA WATALLA SAID DO NOT TAKE ANY KUFFAR LIKE FRIEND THE KUFFAR ARE ALLAH AND MESSENGER ENEMY WE GET WHAT WE HAVE SET UP THIS SLAUGHTER FOR OURS BROTHERS KING FAHAD MUBARAK JORDANIA KOWEIT TURKY
ARE GUILTY MUSLIM TODAY WE HELP KUFFAR TO KILLED OURS BROTHERS AND SISTERS WE MUST TAKE ACTION AGAINST AMERICA AND BRITISH
O YOU WHO BELIEVE OBEY ALLAH AND OBEY THE MESSENGER AND THOSE OF YOU[MUSLIM] WHO ARE IN AUTHORITY.SURAT 4:59 WE HAVE NOT TO ACCEPT THE RULE OF KUFFAR IN MUSLIM LANDS
Maybe we muslims will also be as loud and take a stand against the oppresion of our Muslim brothers and sisters by the racist leaders of Saudi Arabia, Eqypt, Syria, etc.
Maybe we should have taken a stand against Saddam when he killed thousands of Iranian Muslims?
Maybe the hatred of Muslims for America is blinding us from the truth?
That we no longer follow what Allah has commanded us to in the Quran.
We may not reject Islam by our tongue, but our actions and behavior clearly show what is in our heart.
Dear brothers and sister, I think it is not wise to judge people the way we think, let Allah judge their deeds.
Maybe it is too late ......too late for the world including America and Britian, too late for the UN......but above all too late for the world peace.......With least than 48 hours to go for the missiles to be unleash on the Iraq .....
Surely if Iraq was such a huge threat to the worldpeace, the whole world particularly the America would not let 12 good years to pass by - then suddenly waking up from this deep slumber -just to realise that.WHAT A PARADOX
They plan to destroy you, but Allaah Tabaraka Ta`Ala is the Greatest of All planers
Dr. Abdullah should do some research on the criminals that are running, have been running and will continue to run MUSLIM countries on planet earth.
THEY are the criminals!
The US Admin. is doing what any country with the power would do...secure it's interest.
The QUESTION we should ask as Muslims....WHY are MUSLIM countries helping in the attack of another MUSLIM country?
Why are'nt these people who are so "enlightened" asking that question?????
Secondly, as a muslim living in the US I can honestly say...I enjoy more freedom to practice, speak, write and gather than ANY OTHER MUSLIM in a "MUSLIM COUNTRY"
The war will come, muslims will die, it will pass and another cruel thief will be incharge of another Muslim country.
The pundits will continue to BASH the west but overlook the stinch and trash in their own back yards.
The answer to Muslim problems....are in Muslim hands!
Initiating a war for the purpose of liberation might not be supported by Christian doctrine. Might it, however, be supported by Islamic doctrine (regardless of who God's message is intended for)?
If Americans accepted that much from the Quran, might there be even more in the Quran (and Ahadith), pertaining to war, that confirmed want they already felt in their hearts was correct? Might there also be something to remind them of what they were forgetting to do (but actually knew to be their duty)?
It's interesting to note how many Muslims are apparently choosing to deny non-Muslims the message of the Quran - seemingly in support of Islamic ideals. What makes our religion the right path, if we ourselves feel the need to reveal some teachings (while concealing others) in response to a political crisis? Who is it then, exactly, that we believe knows best?
As Salaamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullah.
How can anyone believe so!!!? This has nothing to do with Saddam Hussein being an "evil tyrrant". It has everything to do with the "Thief in Chief's" desire to get his greedy hands on Iraq's oil. I listened to Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney say over the weekend that they wanted to put the revenue generated from Iraq's oil wells back into the hands of the Iraqi people. They already have it you idiot!!!
I am trying to maintain my composure as I write this message, but I am really hurting. Thousands, of American troops will be sent back to this country in body bags...and urns if chemical weapons are used, and for what? For some greedy Anglo-Saxons to get richer!!
I wish the troops peace as they embark on this causeless mission, and I pray wisdom on the minds of the "men" who are running this country..."for they know not what they do."
I think that the war who US is interested to do it in Iraq is not a war for destroying nuclear weapons,but just for controlling OIL,because as we now Iraq is the second richest country with oil in the world.
Israel lobby in US is controlling the US administration and they ofcourse are interested to destroy and to make muslim people as much as weaker as possible.
In another point is to say that US is going against article of Security Council who is written in the constitution of UN,that they FIVE permanent members can start the war,and there is no any right just one of the members to start the war alone.
I hope that the war it wont start and that it wont be the solution.
I pray to Allah the war not to start.
George Bush(es) is risking the whole world with a few BILLION of its inhabitants for the safety of a few MILLION jews in Israel!
It does not click George! Even a small kid knows this war you're waging is the STUPIDEST thing any thinking (err.. do you use your brain to think anyway?) man can do.
Your war mongering attitudes send the world economy to tailspins! Even your own economy! That's for the sake of a few MILLION jews! Really I can't understand!
Come on George! Even a pre-school kids knows your trick already! You want to attack Iraq to remove weapons of mass destruction! Oh really George? The world are for it too. AFter that, tell me George when are you going to remove weapons of mass destruction from a Israel? Tell me! And tell me now George! Tell me now when you;re going to give altimatum to Sharon the butcher of Tel-Aviv!
Or you can live with it? How could you George? Don't your secret agents tell you Israel has already gotten nuclear weapons? And they have aim a few to your home?
Come on George! Your lies are too obvious to even pass an argument with pre-schoolers!
Why risk your own economy for the sake of a few million Jews? And their religion even says your Lord is a bastard! (God forbid!)
not trying to harm therm they havent did ant thing to us why take it out on everybody bin laden or whoever we looking for shouldnt have did what he did true enough but do you honestly think he just waiting around for us to get him no he has a plan and i think we are going to lose we should really think about this
But I was frightened to read, that
>many Christian evangelicals who believe that
>the showdown with Iraq is a prelude to the
>second coming of Jesus.
>in the Bush administration feel as
>representatives of Jesus carrying out his
>mission and will. This might lead to a conflict
>on ground with Muslims in general creating
>hostile conditions for Muslim Americans.
Yes i am a christ. But I can not accept any of
these thoughts !!!!
If Mr. Bush is a christ (an he thinks so) he
NEVER should do anything like the things he does.
Christian religion is a religion of peace (like
the islam religion). And christs and islam have
many common roots.
We should work togother. Agains terrorism,
no mater to which religions the terrorists