Modern war is essentially immoral. The lethality of modern weapons of mass destruction creates a situation in which war will inevitably kill innocent civilians, old and young. Modern war destroys ecology and hurts generations that are yet to be born.
Modern warfare is fought at too high a price, creating unavoidable collateral damage, including so-called "friendly fire".
In addition to these general repercussions, the proposal to wage war on Iraq suffers from several other problems:
1. The justifications offered to wage this war contain lapses in reason and are both internally inconsistent and present a double standard relative to other regimes in the world. The announced justification for this war, repeated ad infinitum, is to rid Saddam Hussein of weapons of mass destruction. All Americans agree that ridding anyone of these terrible weapons, especially reckless dictators, is highly desirable. However, no convincing evidence has been offered that indicates with any certainty that such weapons exist in Iraq. Everyone from media personnel to former weapons inspectors to several elected officials have visited these sites and testified that claims that Iraq has weapons of mass destruction are unsubstantiated. We believe that an extensive inspection program, one that aims genuinely to discover weapons and disarm Hussein and not to conduct covert operations, will abrogate the need for military invasion. Such an invasion would in fact encourage Saddam to use any stored weapons that may have been in a preparatory stage.
2. Ridding Iraq of its dictator, Saddam Hussein, is offered as a second justification for war. MPAC would like to stress that such an undertaking is noble, and we stand today as we have always stood unequivocally against dictatorship and oppression. However, this responsibility remains that of the Iraqi people and any international non-violent intervention. The United States has dealt with past dictatorships in Romania, Czechoslovakia, Poland and even the Soviet Empire without the need for military invasion.
3. The third stated reason is that Iraq must be forced to comply with United Nations resolutions. This reason has been criticized for its obvious hypocrisy the world over, and can not be taken seriously while our administration continues to reduce the stature of the United Nations by declaring openly that the United States will act unilaterally with or without United Nations approval. Furthermore, the sheer number of UN resolutions Israel has simply ignored with impunity with the express help of the United States adds to the hypocrisy of this claim.
4. The fourth reason offered is that Iraq represents a threat to its neighbors. However, these very same neighbors have registered their strong opposition to war against Iraq, in total contrast to the circumstances surrounding the first Gulf war.
Given the paucity of evidence that war in Iraq is morally justifiable or necessary for the security of the American people (in fact, much evidence points to the fact that the opposite might be true), we offer the following reasons to oppose war in Iraq.
1. This war will increase the already unbearable suffering of the people of Iraq. The same people who suffer at the hands of their dictator have had their misery compounded by the senseless, unproductive sanctions programs enforced by the United States and the Untied Kingdom. These same innocents will be turned to "collateral damage" as a result of this war.
2. War will put American soldiers in harms way for unjustified reasons.
3. War will increase the already dangerous levels of anti-American sentiment in not only the Middle East, but in Asia, Europe, and elsewhere. This anti-Americanism will sew yet more seeds of extremism and terrorism against our people.
4. War will further tax our ailing economy at a time when our country must address issues of homelessness, health care, poverty, substandard inner city schools, social security, election reform, and other very important domestic issues.
5. We have learned from history that when we unleash violence abroad, an upsurge of domestic violence results. The tragic story of husbands murdering their wives upon returning from Afghanistan offers one such example. Gang violence, murders and rapes as well as drug related crimes and domestic violence consistently increases after times of war.
Dr. Maher Hathout is the Senior Advisor of the Muslim Public Affairs Council and the spokesperson of the Islamic Center of Southern California
MPAC calls on peace-loving citizens to join hands, hearts and minds to reverse this rush towards war. MPAC believes that empowering the Iraqi people by lifting sanctions, offering nutritional and medical aid and increasing access to accurate information in that country is the best way to encourage the overthrow of Saddam Hussein.
SO what if Saudi Arabia doesn't let jews or hindus enter? Saudi Arabia is one big religious sanctity. What business do jews and hindus have there? there are no tourist attractions .. it is religious ground. don't u dare cite it as a fallacy on the part of Islam.
Similarly, Muslims would not be allowed to enter the hindus most sacred place ... not that we'd want to of course.
To Islamicity : please do not censor this message.
Kumar's tactic is deliberetly ignoring the real issues and hiding behind myths and exagerations. I guess what happened in Gujrat and what goes on daily in Kashmir by Hindu terrorists is A-OK in his mind. Bottom line Kumar is an RSS fanatic.
And "Yaz" are you for real ?
Interesting article. Now let's address the same issues when it comes to "Muslims" attacking other people.
For some reason the Ummah has turned a blind eye to the things people are doing in the name of Islam. Is it because Muslims are at such a disadvantage that we must engage in immoral behavior as "they" do when they attack us??
I beg to differ. I've surfed the internet ever since 9/11 and I HAVE YET TO FIND ANY LITERATURE FROM THESE "SCHOLARS" WHO SAY WHAT THE TALEBAN AND BIN LADEN DID was no and will never be Islamic!!
But sadly, all the learned souls that prech the word of Qur'an remain silent...
I'm interesting what the latest propoganda ... ahem.. I mean ruling by some holy guy is on KILLING CIVILIANS!
I believe that if Qur'an makes it HARAM...then NO SCHOLAR can make it HALAL... or are we doing what we accused the christians and jews of doing....CHANGING OUR BOOK?
I would like Iviews.com to address this issue and quit posting all these feel good articles and get to the meat and potatoes....
I bet that would NEVER happen!
Muslims by other Muslims. Look at what Iran did to Iraq
(thousands times worse than what the US will do).
Look at what Jordan and Syria did to the Palestinians
(no wonder the Palestinians would rather live in Israel!)
Why do we not speak of these problems first?
Saudi Arabia does not allow Hindus or Jews to enter
Saudi. It is interesting that I can not enter Saudi
(because I am an Infidel) but Saudi Muslims can enter
Please understand what your religion is doing to the
world, and then maybe you'll understand why most of
the world looks at Islam as being violent religion.
Bin Laden started by attacking soldiers trying to help food aid workers distribute food to starving people. Was that a moral or a responsible thing for him to do?
Why do Islamic people reward him for doing this? Did the starving people deserve to die? Were the winning warlords moral and the starving immoral? Isn't this modern war? Confusion!
His post had nothing to do with the subject at hand, so he made a few childish remarks and off he goes like a spineless warmonger. Dime a dozen
However, the commentor saying that Saudia Arabia does not allow non-Muslims in is mistaken.
Saudia Arabia does not give citizenship to anyone, probably because there are a grea number of Muslims who would like to become citizens.
However, there is a large number of non-Muslim and Muslims who live there to work as traders, business people, teachers, doctors, etc.
A prominent number of nonMuslims there are the American soldiers, as Saudia Arabia currently has the largest American bases in the Middle East.
The US government has killed more civilians than any terrorists of any origin.
They intentionally bombed water and electricity infrastrucutures and used ammunition made with uranium during the Gulf war and in the 1993 and 1998 bombings.
The no fly zones over Iraq are imposed by the US and Britain, not the UN, and are illegal.
The same number of children in Iraq die due to US imposed sanctions EVERY 2 WEEKS FOR THE LAST 10 YEARS AS HAVE DIED IN THE WORLD TRADE CENTERS. (See Hidden Wars of Desert Storm, by Free-Will Productions, by Brohy and Ungerman, narrated by John Hurt).
Some wars may be deemed necessary by some, by they are not fair when an army that is supplied with $55 million per day attacks refugees with stones and a few guns. Or when the world superpower attacks a country that has been under the most extreme sanctions the world has ever seen for 10 years and has already been bombed 3 times in that time.
seems to me that any body, who does anyting, to any
Muslim, is wrong. Let's face it folks - TERRORISM IS
NOT JUSTIFIED! Kafirs are people too! Take a look at
what pathetic countris all Muslim countries are - Saudi
Arabia will not allow Kaffirs to enter the country. If the
USA would not allow Muslims to enter America, this
webiste would have a field day! Talk about the pot
calling the kettle black!
WE HAVE A RIGHT TO LIVE IN A PEACE WORLD WITH OUR OWN BELIEFS.
WAR ARE TOO MUCH FOR IRAQ & THE EXISTING CONDITION.
IF AMERICAN INVADE IRAQ NOW, THERE WILL BE MORE WAR & DAMAGE TO UNINNOCENT PEOPLE.
MY PERSONNAL OPINION ARE THAT ,WAR ARE NOT RIGHT FOR IRAQ, THERE ARE MORE REASONABLE METHOD TO STOP WHAT AMERICAN THINK IS NOT RIGHT FOR IRAQ.
I DONT BELIEVE WAR WILL CREATE PEACE TO THE REST OF THE WORLD.
WAR ARE LIKE BUSH FIRE, YOU START HERE BUT YOU CAN'T STOP AT THE OTHER SIDE.
WISDOM WILL PREVENT THE WHOLE WORLD FROM THIS DAMAGING WAR IDEA.
MAY ALLAH PREVENT THIS WAR FROM HAPPENING, WHAT HAVE DONE ARE HISTORY, FUTURE ARE OUR OBLIGATION.
Normans tin pot zionist views only reflect the neurosis of jewish supremasicsts towards the goyim. Run along John, Dr. Phil should be on soon.
To defend oneself is allowed in Islam. What the Bush administration is doing is ramrodding its politicial agenda upon the nation, and upon the world. That is wrong, plain and simple.
It is sad that "modern warfare" has devolved to where we are now. Imagine future "modern warfare"?? I don't think its going to get any more civilized. How very sad for future humanity.
It is also the cause of "Gulf War Syndrome" (originally blamed on Saddam) in thousands of American soldiers who have gone without compensation, as any compensation would mean the US government has admitted liability.
The use of Uranium which can penetrate anything and has a half-life of over 45 billion years, is illegal.
The US government also blew up water, sewage and electricity infrastructures in Iraq (even though "Our quarrel is not with the Iraqi people" said by Bush the oil dimwit).
In fact AS MANY CHILDREN DIE IN IRAQ EVERY 2 WEEKS FOR THE LAST !) YEARS AS THE NUMBER THAT DIED IN THE WORLD TRADE CENTERS, due to American imposed sanctions and continued bombings.
The no fly zones over Iraq imposed by the US and Britain are not UN imposed and ILLEGAL.
The US and Britain want to attack Iraq and get rid of Saddam the dictator, because they know if sanctions are lifted, his government will favour French and Russian oil buyers.
Israel has killed over 3 times as many Palestinans and oppressed them for 35 YEARS, suicide bombings are a futile act of revenge that is a relatively new occurence. Israel has also imprisoned thousands of people without charge, gased people (see the film After Jenin, shown in the Canadian film festival) and shot foreign journalists and photographers.
One side calling the other "evil" or "terrorists" does not erase the number of dead and maimed caused by these "democratic freedom seeking" governments.
Israel is currently in violation of many UN Sanctions. It is the most condemned country per UN resolution logs. The most significant violation it has committed however, has been a violation against humanity. Any regime that deprives a population of its humanity is wrong - be it Saddam Husseins or Ariel Sharon's.
secondly, some of those UN Resolutions are also addressed to both the Arabs and the Palestinians. By the same tiken, then, they are also in breach of UN Resolutions.
Maybe if you had an appreciation for justice and humanity you'd understand, ...
bombing of innocent people. No matter how "evil" you
think the Kaffirs are, NOTHING justifies killing innocent
women and children.