IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My Spiritual Crisis  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Spiritual Crisis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schwester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2006 at 4:35pm
i guess the language of Qur'an and arabic one are different. like osmanic language and the present turkish. like latin language and present english. and the translations aren't always enough to understand. origin is an origin.
Aquinian View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2006 at 4:43pm

God does not speak arabic and he doesn't prefer any language over another.  It's all about the message, not the language.  Muhammad happened to speak arabic; therefore, the Koran comes in arabic.

Worrying about learning arabic is a distraction that, it seems to me, Muslims could afford to lose.

amlhabibi2000 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlhabibi2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2006 at 6:21pm

Salam Alaikoam

I have been through a Spiritual Crisis at one time too, now I realize that my Faith is bettween me and Allah, God, The Creator and no one else.

It is up to us how we will express our Islam and no one else can tell us how to do that.  We have to decide for ourselves how many times we will pray in a day and maybe the best prayer is a living prayer, ie being the best most wonderful person we can be.

Submission to Allah may mean getting Education and Training in some profession so we can provide for ourselves and our families with grace and dignity for all.

Maybe our submission to Allah means we accept we have problems or challenges we are having a difficult time dealing with and go to trained, educated counselors or Doctors for solutions and counseling that helps us be dignified and give dignity to others.

Maybe our submission is consulting community about needed infra structure and encouraging them to set it in place like affordable and accessible day care.  It could also be asking community to set in place affordable counseling or self help groups so we can be sorted into groups to see what we have done wrong and what we have done right and be taught better skills like communication skills, relationship skills, parenting skills, coping with frustration skills, effect conflict resolution skills and other issues like addiction services.

So you see Islam is not in a box like some people think, it is an open book with room to evolve and room to explore what Islam means to us.

Even myself at first I thought Islam was wrapped up in 5 daily prayers, Hajj, giving Alms but it really is not.

What I discovered is that Islam transcends all living experiences by all of humanity even though most would not accept this.

So in my view there are not 4 million Muslems there are ten Billion of them all expressing their Islam the way they see fit.

We can try to model everyone into the same box but it would soon be full of holes because everyone is different and we all have our own ideas and opinions.

However I do believe that Humanity can be Called to an Inter Faith Education, Counseling and Consultation Jihad (The word Jihad means struggle and the most important level is the struggle we have we being/becoming the best person we can be)

So I would not worry if you express your Islam a little differently than others because there are many ways to express our submission to Allah, God, The Creator.

Salam

Anne Marie Elderkin Habibi

Edited by amlhabibi2000
Judgement day passes in the moment we decide something needs attention & we take positive action. Then there will be a great sorting out of people into groups, Inspired by Surah 99 Ayat 1-8
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2006 at 7:09pm

The previous posts are agreeable I was just noting a couple of things which bothered me. I agree that God has given humans the ability to speak in their languages accordinly however I feel that Arabic is not some spiritual language, I find it like any other. As one here said language is created by human beings. However I get tormented when I here others say that the written words in doctrine are not spiritually "on par" as the language as it was originally written." I too have found that there are some cultural emphasis in Islam. What I struggle in religion is that it is made around the culture of that specific people. What I have tried to reconcile before is how can a "Religion of God" be culturally specific?

For instance when I say "As'Salaamu Alaikum" to other who are Arabic speaking, most get surprised because they see me, an African-American speaking briefly in their language. I get the occasional "What country are you from?" obviously not too observant seeing how I have tattoos and clearly sounding American, I respond respectually saying "I'm American." Since being Muslim I feel that I have sense reach the pennicle of my faith not in the sense of knowledge but in the sense that I am restricted intellectually within the limits of religion. Most religious faiths do not allow theoretical thinking as, not surprisingly is said to lead people astray.

But what I'm really surprised at is the reaction I get from people when I use the ancient greeting. I understand most of you all here some Muslims and non-muslims understand my point of view and yes we all have our momentary spiritual crisis. But how can I truly combat it? I have prayed. I have asked God to forgive me. Nothing. I'm not saying anything irrational like "God abadoned me" or something totally outrageous but I do not feel that sense of belonging. I felt more of a sense of belonging as a non-Muslim as I do a Muslim. Kind of like a club really.

When I conversed with Muslims before my conversion there was some sincere hospitality. Some would tell me "I have a brillant mind why not convert to Islam and share it." Some others would tell me that even as a non-muslim my heart is like a Muslim. Then when I convert those individuals seem to disappear. One guy I remember when I converted, told me "Now that you are Muslim you must also adopt a fiqh." On top of that follow a particular following, or sect. I found these too complicated because it all eventually goes to someone elses interpretation on following Islam correctly. Thus my belief that Scholars are in reality not different than a history teacher who interprets history.

Truly a struggle for the Ages!

Meedo View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2006 at 7:53pm

salam aleikum brother israfil,

I am a muslim from Egypt. I have been on this forum for some time although i barely posted anything. I would check it once every month , and i would like what you write in yr posts generally speaking.

Any way, Israfeel, what you are going through is normal . We are humans and are pressurable. Muslims arent in their best shape these days and as you noticed there are many faults that we need to work on .

If you go back to your Journey to God out of Islam you will again come back to Islam for one simple reason .

Islam is the closest thing to what God really wants from us.

Its important to differentiate between if you are looking for spirituality or looking for God. Your path of God can get you some spirituality but not necessarily the opposite.

There are things that you have posted that are not ubnormal for a revert to feel , the sense of lonliness , the difficulties between reconciling your cultural references with Demanding faith. The hindrances that are put in your face when people from the faith mix their culture with religion ... etc...

in Brief... you are a perfectionist and you are feeling pressured and eventually fatigue.. deep spiritual fatigue.

Take it easy . Do search for the truth . However i am sorry to say that the truth isnt easy and doesnt have the road leading to it full with roses.

People from all faiths who have strived for God have been where you are and more. I am not belitteleing what you are going through, i am just trying to tell you that this is the symptoms for an honest God searching person.

If you dont like what your brothers in Islam are doing then do better. Islam doesnt controll you . There is no pope. Be better muslim than them .

God will reward you for your intentions.

Sleep well and no matter if you are muslim or not . If you search for God ''sincerely'' then he will guide you back to his Islam . His pure Islam .

May you have peace in your heart and comfort and guidance.

and all of us

Ameen

Meedo

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2006 at 2:43am
Originally posted by Muslima Muslima wrote:

Brother Israfil, Arabic is the heart of Islam.

Arabic is the language of the arabs not islam.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2006 at 4:39pm
Meedo,

Wa Alaikum Salaam,

Thank you for your heart felt post. i appreciate the sincerity in your
words as rare jewels, I appreciate the value of your words. I have been
in much contemplation and although my time is very consumed between
Police Academy and other duties I try to make time to converse with the
Creator. I can tell you that my struggles are very difficult. What I
experience is not something that is limited to a "Western Muslim
convert" when actually its common to any human being who is
struggling with some sort of religigious crisis.

What I was saying before was that what I have experienced as a
Journeyman prior to my conversion in Islam was that I did feel a
spiritual connection with God. I was less restricted because I studied
various religious practices. I was in the midst of Buddhist praying in
their temple. I was able to sit in a jewish lecture. I ws able to perform
Salaat in a mosque. These things were very much important to me
because I was able to feel the presence of God in all people.

I'm more so upset here because I was being judged by a particular
individual and this individual I have to say is very much hypocritical just
like most of the people I've came into contact with. I feel that regardless
of what we believe we shouldn't judge neither Muslim, nor non-Muslim
because in my life time thus far I have seen more courage from non-
muslims than from muslims themselves. What I wanted to get across
here is that people do have an effect on others when they are conversing
with them, and, especially when we are discussing sensitive topics its
important not to impose judgement on others.

I don't care if we disagree I would say never impose judgement on
another person. My other thing is I very much dislike the exclusive and
conditional love I have here in the Islamic community. I am only
someones brother so long as I am of their religious faith. I highly dislike
that feeling. We humans are a total family regardless of religion. For
instance if a Jew and a Christian were stuck on an island and in order to
survive they would have to help each other do you think they would not
help each other because of religious difference?

The same here....I feel that I should be anyone's brother regardless of
religious faith because I feel that ultimately the universality of the Islamic
message must not appease just one class of people but all people. We are
all brothers and sisters in humanity. Perhaps this is venting of frustration
o call it what you will, I'm just sick of people PMimg me saying "I'm
telling you this because I love you for the ske of God." First off a true
Godly person does not love me for the sake of God but love me for the
sake of caring for me. Loving someone just to please God is selfish in
the individualistic sense, love people because you care about their well
being....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic