IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - face covers  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

face covers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2006 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by ummsaleh ummsaleh wrote:

Salam Sisters,

It's been a long time ( almost a year) since I posted. Someone donated face covers to me to send to the States for muslim sisters. I would like to send them to a muslim center. Can anyone help?

Ma sha allah sister.  I'll ask my mom for you.  Once I get the adress of the Islamic ceter or mosque, I'll pm it to you in sha allah.  May Allah bless you for your efforts in this life and the hereafter. 

salaam

Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2006 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by fatima fatima wrote:

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Assalamu alaikum

just a little story from the life of Sayyidina Muhammad (saw).

Once Ali (ra) was with some other companions (ra) and they were discussing qualities of women, after a long discussion they still could not come up with what they thought was best quality and they all departed, when ali (ra) got home, he asked of fatima (ra) what she thought was best quality in a woman and she said that she does not see a na-mehram and is not seen by one. The next day ali went to Sayyidina Muhammad (saw) and told him the whole story and he (saw) said 'and fatima is of me'

sisters if you don't agree with something thats fine but it don't mean that its extreme or belittles some1, this was the sunnah of best of best, no one is saying its a must do, people only say it like you say Allah swt really loves those who wake up in the last third part of night and pray tahajjud, i have seen sisters wearing niqaab and working in really high positions at uni and hospitals, its fear within ourselves which makes us think people are laughing at us, iv seen people giving those sister respect for their professional qualities and thinking really high of them to have deen and dunya at the same time,  it is most beautifull feeling that even in this day n age people find courage to practise the sunnah, I want to leave you with a beautifull hadith in which Sayyidina Muhammad (saw) said that this religion started with strangers and at the end of times it will be again for strangers.

wassalam

Jazakillahu khairan Fatimah.  Well said.

Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2006 at 9:21pm

Originally posted by Jenni Jenni wrote:

Mishmish, I truely feel that women wearing Niqab in the U.s.a are facing tough times. There are women at the Masjid who don't feel safe going anywhere alone for fear of being followed and harrased. What kind of life is this? Why do we as Muslims allways want to make life easier for men and harder for women? Why must women be forced to be locked up at home for fear of being harassed if they go outside? I see many some women in Pakistan wearing Niqab, and that if fine for them. They are living in a mostly Muslim country and no one bothers them. I also see some women in jeans with no hijab and I feel that is thier choice as well, if they get teased and harassed it is thier own problem. But here, Niqab DOES NOT proctect you from being teased or stared at, and the sight of a woman in Niqab is actually frightening to some children and people. Every woman has to make her own choice, however it angers me when people try to encourage women to wear Niqab, no matter what we women do IT IS NEVER ENOUGH!!!

Jenni women in America are victimized regardless of what they wear or what religion they follow.  You know that.   I've worn both regular hijab and  niqab in the States.  I've never been victimized.  I've always been respected in school, the work place, etc.  I have non-muslim friends that have men yelling "baby got back!" at them in the streets.  I have non-muslim friends that have been sexually harrased at work.  I have non-muslim friends that have been raped.  The list goes on.  Alahamdulila, my muslim girl friends were protected from these things.

For any sisters that are wearing hijab and get teased don't despair.  Allah ta'la says in sura 83 ayaat 29-36:

"Those in sin used to laugh at those who believed,

And whenever they passed by them, used to wink at each other (in mockery);

And when they returned to their own people, they would return jesting;

And whenever they saw them, they would say, "Behold! These are the people truly astray!"

But they had not been sent as keepers over them!

But on this Day the Believers will laugh at the Unbelievers:

On Thrones (of Dignity) they will command (a sight) (of all things).

Will not the Unbelievers have been paid back for what they did?

Children are generally afraid of things they're not used to.  I know children that are afraid of handicapped, old, ugly people, etc.   They grow up eventually.  When I wore veil kids loved me.  For some reason little girls would always yell "MOMMY IT'S PRINCESS JASMINE" and the boys would yell "A NINJA!!"  Their mother's would be so embarrassed.   The little girls were usually disappointed when I'd tell them I wasn't a princess just a muslima and that's why dressed the way I did.

Salaam

Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2006 at 10:29pm

Assalamu Alaikum:

This reminds me of a story. When I was in college, long, long ago, there were a lot of students there from Saudia and Kuwait. I wasn't a Muslim, but I became friendly with some of them. One of the brothers brought his mother to visit and she wore the black Saudi abayas that cover you completely and have the two slits for your eyes.

Anyway, it was Halloween and they were going somewhere, so they stopped to get gas. Back then they used to do full service. So the gas attendent came out to fill the car and he saw the woman in her abaya and told her really freindly and loud "Happy Halloween!". Her son just laughed and they left. But she thought it was a friendly American greeting, so for weeks after that she was going around yelling "Happy Halloween!" at everyone from under her abaya.

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
fatima View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2006 at 4:09am

Assalamu alaikum

good story sis mishmish, sister jenni i'l tell you about an incident that happened to my uncle, he is mashaAllah a very well known surgeon in our area, alhamdulillah one of the best in his field in UK, about couple of years back he was invited to one of the hospitals in newyork to share his experience and when he got there, he spent good five six hours on the airport being searched and asked and then searched again, only because he is a muslim, his fellow surgeon was enjoying his five star accomodation and my uncle was being humiliated only because he has a muslim name on his passport, i should not forget mentioning that he does not have a beard, dresses in designers but that don't help you only need to be a muslim to be stripped searched or to be shot apparently.  sister our dear Prophet (saw) told us not to care about blames of the blamers, if we start caring bout what people think and how they going to react to us where is it going to take us, to hids our muslim identity?

wassalam

Edited by fatima
Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL
Rose View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2006 at 7:16am
Originally posted by fatima fatima wrote:

Assalamu alaikum

good story sis mishmish, sister jenni i'l tell you about an incident that happened to my uncle, he is mashaAllah a very well known surgeon in our area, alhamdulillah one of the best in his field in UK, about couple of years back he was invited to one of the hospitals in newyork to share his experience and when he got there, he spent good five six hours on the airport being searched and asked and then searched again, only because he is a muslim, his fellow surgeon was enjoying his five star accomodation and my uncle was being humiliated only because he has a muslim name on his passport, i should not forget mentioning that he does not have a beard, dresses in designers but that don't help you only need to be a muslim to be stripped searched or to be shot apparently.  sister our dear Prophet (saw) told us not to care about blames of the blamers, if we start caring bout what people think and how they going to react to us where is it going to take us, to hids our muslim identity?

wassalam

Yes I care what people think, I am happy when people look at me and think maybe in their minds "oh, she is muslim and wears the scarf (hijab)"

I like it because I feel like it is a mystery for others to look into and search for answers, I might be an initiator for someone that will soon be in hidaya and find the truth...
I walk with my head up and I and proud (not takabbor alhamdallah) to be Muslim, I ask Allah for his nour (light) to all Muslims and (inshallah to be Muslims) the non-Muslims.

I try to be a good representative for my religion, in looks, morals, belief,....and live my life in a peaceful way like any other person on this Earth which Allah(swt) has made for us to live our lives.

Peace

A thorn defends the rose,harming only those who would steal the blossom
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2006 at 11:13am
Assalaamualaikum

The Prophet(saw)'s wives used to cover their faces and so did many of the female companions. So were they extremists?

Those who cover their faces and those who don't, both should respect each other.

Allah knows best.

Wassalaam.
Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2006 at 11:35am

You should all get a kick out of this one. 

I am of Eastern European descent and was raised in the Russian Orthodox Church.  Many OLDER Russian women wear a Babushka, or headscarf, and you're supposed to wear it in Church.  However, I have always found them handy when working or just when I don't feel like doing my hair. 

Fairly recently I went to Sam's Club to do my monthly shopping....I was not in the mood after several hours of housekeeping to do my hair, so I just left, headscarf and all.  People kept looking at me, some with a sympathetic look, others were downright rude.  I looked at my husband confused and he motioned to my scarf.  Then I just started laughing.  I was in a t-shirt and capri pants and they all thought I was Muslim or a cancer patient I'm thinking were the sympathetic looks. 

I really felt very sympathetic to you ladies after that day. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic