IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - March May 1st For Immigrant Rights  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

March May 1st For Immigrant Rights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2006 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Angela Angela wrote:

Bono of U2 started a clothing line and opened a factory in a 3rd world country where is paying good wages to the people that work there versus the exploitation that others are suffering.  I feel there should be tax and tariff incentives for companies who pay their employees more.  Make it unlawful for companies incorporated in the United States to pay their employees abroad less than the equivalent of minimum wage here.  So if 1 USD = 44.79 INR, then they should not be able to pay less than 235.15 INR per hour to their employees in India....or 57.57 MXN (mexican pesos).    In many of these countries this would be alot of money even if it isn't in the United States.  But, it would cause the cost of living to rise here.  So, if Mishmish, myself and the others living in American can afford huge increases in our cost of living, then so be it. 

Saying that other countries have to improve their way of living is an idealist's model of a solution.  That will hurt the world economy just as much as current illegal immigration is hurting the US economy.  And its nearly impossible to convince other governments to protect their workers like we do ours.  You would have to end incompetence and greed to do that. 

However, it would be worth us, dropping the war in Iraq and instead offering to build up Mexico's infrastructure.  If we do that, they will grow on their own.  But, I personally would put the condition of them cracking down on the Drug Cartels like no other.  Wipe them out, all of them.  You get rid of the drugs.  We'll give you modern highways, airports and ports.  Industry will flock to Mexico then.  Much better money spent than whooping on some sad, sad insurgents in Iraq. 

Iraq or Iran have absolutly nothing to do with the illegal immigration issue. Why would you even insert that into this conversation?

You must be careful, some of us are patriots.

They just don't get it!
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2006 at 12:36pm

USA1,

I have an uncle who is going to slowly die from the injuries he suffered in Afganistan.  He has damage to his nervous system and its slowly deteriorating him.  DO NOT TALK TO ME ABOUT PATRIOTISM! 

My brother was in Airbourne attached to a Blackhawk before an accident lead to his being given an HONORABLE discharge. 

I have over 3 dozen relatives who have served in ever war in the past century and I qualify for DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) and guess what.  I don't believe Iraq and Iran have anything to do with our security....just Cowboy Bush getting us into a war before election time so he would be able to stay in office.  People don't like to change generals in the middle of a war.  edit - ever seen the movie Wag The Dog????

Now, lemme tell you how its relevant.  We are spending Billions on a country we invaded.  We are wasting money left and right on shadows and boogey men when our own borders are not secure.  With reformed immigration laws we could prevent the next Muhammed Atta from entering the US, while encouraging more hardworking immigrants like the 3 dozen that work for me to come to this country.

You said we need to improve the economies of other nations (like Mexico) to help prevent illegal immigration.  However, that is an expensive proposition when we are destabilizing entire regions of the world with our politics.

Edited by Angela
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2006 at 2:43pm

I disagree with the "look like us" comment. I could care less what they look like or where they come from. Just do it legally and I (most) have no issues with it.  This is what this country is.

Yes in the 'ideal' world, yet you are right. But there are bigots all over the place. People from other countries come here legally and people don't want them, 'not in my town'.  I grew up in small town USA and let me tell you people do have these attitudes. They view and judge people from what they see on TV.

What Angela was pointing out is the inter-connectedness of everything. It is about truly how we spend our money.

A great book to read is called Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson. He is a mountain climber who almost died in remote Pakistan. And now helps people locally in the region. The book is about his journey.

The website of Central Asia Institute is: http://www.ikat.org/about.html

An article about him is:

CHRISTIAN SCIENCE MONITOR

January 21, 2003

To fight terror, Montanan builds schools in Asia

By Todd Wilkinson  |  Feature Special to The Christian Science Monitor

BOZEMAN, MONT.  Greg Mortenson is waging a personal war against terrorism halfway around the world from a basement in Montana.

But he doesn't use guns or bombs; his tools are pencils.

It's 4 a.m. and Mr. Mortenson is sitting in his dimly lit office, surrounded by books on Asian history, the Taliban, and Al Qaeda. Soon a fax arrives in Urdu. Later, Mortenson, a stout, soft-spoken mountaineer, is speaking on a staticky line with a Shiite cleric in northern Pakistan.

His mission: To help set up schools for young Muslims - mainly girls - in a remote part of the world where the United States is often despised.

Mortenson admits that rural Montana is an odd place for a humanitarian base camp. But, as he arranges his next flight to Islamabad, geographical distance is the least of his obstacles. Given a potential US invasion of Iraq and resistance at home from critics who condemn his enigmatic crusade, he is concerned about bridging the growing gulf between America and the Muslim world.

"We've reached a pivotal moment in world history, and it's the choices we make now that will define us," says Mortenson, founder of the Central Asia Institute here. "Mahatma Gandhi said you can not shake hands with a closed fist. To fight terrorism with only war and not compassion is futile."

Since 1993, he has helped build dozens of schools for Muslim girls in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Working with Islamic mullahs and village chieftains, he plans to put up many more in the months ahead.

Though not wealthy himself, Mortenson raises money tirelessly to support his cause. In the process, he has earned the respect of many politicians and business leaders alike. Rep. Mary Bono (R) of California, calls herself a "cheerleader" for Mortenson's methods. She says the Central Asia Institute shows how fresh alternatives to US foreign aid can reach the ground faster and achieve results at a fraction of the cost of traditional programs.

Rep. Earl Pomeroy (D) of North Dakota, who visited Afghanistan a year ago, is another admirer. "Educating girls is one of the most effective means of promoting economic growth," he says.

The genesis of Mortenson's crusade was improbable in itself. It stems from a failed attempt to scale the summit of Pakistan's famed K2 in the Karakorum range a decade ago. Forced to abandon the punishing ascent by physical exhaustion, Mortenson was nursed back to health by Islamic mountain dwellers in Korphe, a remote outpost in the unforgiving terrain.

For decades, Western climbers have visited the region on expensive outdoor adventures - often tapping local people as cheap labor to haul their gear - but few gave anything back.

To repay the villagers' kindness, Mortenson asked the local mullah what he could do, and discovered that one of every three infants in the region dies before reaching its first birthday. Furthermore, the literacy rate is less than three percent; among women it is one-tenth of one percent.

Mortenson returned to the US, sold all of his worldly possessions to underwrite projects in Korphe, and has been on a fundraising quest ever since. Every year, the son of former Lutheran missionaries spends at least five months in the Karakorum, compiling a list of requests for more than 60 schools.

On this early morning, though, Mortenson is torn by the thought of leaving his two young children and his wife, Tara Bishop (who grew up in a family of famed Himalayan mountaineers), for another extended trip to the region.

"The long absences from my family are painful," he says, "but when I look into the eyes of children in Afghanistan and Pakistan, I see my own children. I want my own kids and their counterparts to live in peace, but that will not happen unless we teach them alternatives to the cycle of terrorism and war."

Initially, Mortenson's benevolence in Pakistan was met with distrust from Islamic clerics who suspected Mortenson might be a spy. But Saeed Abbas Risvi, the senior Islamic Shiite spiritual leader in northern Pakistan, rose to his defense after the outsider delivered on his schoolbuilding promises. Knowing that Mortenson could encounter danger in rural villages, Risvi, now a close friend of Mortenson, contacted the Supreme Council of Ayatollahs in Iran to obtain a rare letter of recommendation for the American.

"In Pakistan and Afghanistan, people don't believe in 30-minute power lunches to do business. Rather, it takes three cups of tea over many months to cultivate a lasting relationship," Mortenson says. "When you have your first cup, you are strangers. After the second cup, you become friends, and after the third, you're regarded as family."

Over a crackling telephone line to Mortenson's office, cleric Risvi says the "American gentle giant" has earned respect because he listens to the desires of local people. Risvi says that despite the violent interpretations of the Taliban, who repressed women, Islam teaches equality among all. "Girls have been the most deprived of basic education in our society. Education is light, and light provides beauty and strength to the people."

Compared to traditional relief organizations that often have a religious bent and a large support staff, Central Asia Institute consists only of Mortenson - who pays himself a modest salary of $39,000 - and one office assistant.

"Putting between $5,000 and $15,000 in [Mortenson's] hands buys you a lot," says Silicon Valley venture capitalist George McCown, who has seen several of Mortenson's 150 community projects. To Mr. McCown, Mortenson's approach of improving young people's lives is the most sensible way to leaven the region. "He's one of the few who has figured out how to promote community development very efficiently ... and ... he's changing negative perceptions of Americans," McCown says.

Even so, Mortenson's philanthropic work has attracted a few critics in this country. After the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, he received several angry letters. "You will pay dearly for being a traitor," wrote one woman in a letter postmarked in Minneapolis. Stated another letter from Denver: "I wish some of our bombs had hit you because you're counter productive to our military efforts in Afghanistan."

Mortenson, however, remains undeterred, though he hopes that a military invasion of Iraq will not fan more antiAmerican sentiment in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

"Ignorance breeds hatred," he says before sunrise, trying to phone Afghanistan. "We can spend billions [of dollars] amassing a wall around America, but unless we invest even a small fraction of that amount building bridges of peace and understanding, all our efforts will be in vain."

Copyright � 2003 The Christian Science Monitor

http://www.csmonitor.com/search_content/0121/p01s04-wosc.htm l 

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2006 at 3:07pm

Mexico Works to Bar Non-Natives From Jobs

If Arnold Schwarzenegger had migrated to Mexico instead of the United States, he couldn't be a governor. If Argentina native Sergio Villanueva, firefighter hero of the Sept. 11 attacks, had moved to Tecate instead of New York, he wouldn't have been allowed on the force.

Even as Mexico presses the United States to grant unrestricted citizenship to millions of undocumented Mexican migrants, its officials at times calling U.S. policies "xenophobic," Mexico places daunting limitations on anyone born outside its territory.

In the United States, only two posts _ the presidency and vice presidency _ are reserved for the native born.

In Mexico, non-natives are banned from those and thousands of other jobs, even if they are legal, naturalized citizens.

Foreign-born Mexicans can't hold seats in either house of the congress. They're also banned from state legislatures, the Supreme Court and all governorships. Many states ban foreign-born Mexicans from spots on town councils. And Mexico's Constitution reserves almost all federal posts, and any position in the military and merchant marine, for "native-born Mexicans."

Recently the Mexican government has gone even further. Since at least 2003, it has encouraged cities to ban non-natives from such local jobs as firefighters, police and judges.

Mexico's Interior Department which recommended the bans as part of "model" city statutes it distributed to local officials could cite no basis for extending the bans to local posts.

After being contacted by The Associated Press about the issue, officials changed the wording in two statutes to delete the "native-born" requirements, although they said the modifications had nothing to do with AP's inquiries.

"These statutes have been under review for some time, and they have, or are about to be, changed," said an Interior Department official, who was not authorized to be quoted by name.

But because the "model" statues are fill-in-the-blanks guides for framing local legislation, many cities across Mexico have already enacted such bans. They have done so even though foreigners constitute a tiny percentage of the population and pose little threat to Mexico's job market.

The foreign-born make up just 0.5 percent of Mexico's 105 million people, compared with about 13 percent in the United States, which has a total population of 299 million. Mexico grants citizenship to about 3,000 people a year, compared to the U.S. average of almost a half million.

"There is a need for a little more openness, both at the policy level and in business affairs," said David Kim, president of the Mexico-Korea Association, which represents the estimated 20,000 South Koreans in Mexico, many of them naturalized citizens.

"The immigration laws are very difficult ... and they put obstacles in the way that make it more difficult to compete," Kim said, although most foreigners don't come to Mexico seeking government posts.

J. Michael Waller, of the Center for Security Policy in Washington, was more blunt. "If American policy-makers are looking for legal models on which to base new laws restricting immigration and expelling foreign lawbreakers, they have a handy guide: the Mexican constitution," he said in a recent article on immigration.

Some Mexicans agree their country needs to change.

"This country needs to be more open," said Francisco Hidalgo, a 50-year-old video producer. "In part to modernize itself, and in part because of the contribution these (foreign-born) people could make."

Others express a more common view, a distrust of foreigners that academics say is rooted in Mexico's history of foreign invasions and the loss of territory in the 1847-48 Mexican-American War.

Speaking of the hundreds of thousands of Central Americans who enter Mexico each year, chauffeur Arnulfo Hernandez, 57, said: "The ones who want to reach the United States, we should send them up there. But the ones who want to stay here, it's usually for bad reasons, because they want to steal or do drugs."

Some say progress is being made. Mexico's president no longer is required to be at least a second-generation native-born. That law was changed in 1999 to clear the way for candidates who have one foreign-born parent, like President Vicente Fox, whose mother is from Spain.

But the pace of change is slow. The state of Baja California still requires candidates for the state legislature to prove both their parents were native born.

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060521/ap/d8ho93700.html

(Sorry but this one got me all fired up.....)

Edited by Angela
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic