IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - March May 1st For Immigrant Rights  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

March May 1st For Immigrant Rights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 2:25pm

I just think you're comparing apples and oranges.

So you said....

Originally posted by Mishmish Mishmish wrote:

I live on a plot of land in the middle of Texas, but I am only borrowing it for a while. Who am I to say who can or cannot live here next?

This is what bothers me.  I'm not saying they cannot come here, just they have to OBEY THE LAW! 

Instead of rewarding the ones who disrespect the laws of the country, you need to be focusing on getting the actual immigration laws changed.  Giving them amnesty is a bandaid on the problem.  It won't solve anything because it will just encourage more of them to come here, hide for a few years till it gets to be such a problem that the government has to chose between deportation and amnesty again.  Its a vicious cycle and its never going to stop unless we A.) Make it easier to come here legally or B.) Get stricter and send every illegal home so they are scared to come here.

I personally want A. for myself and my country.  But a clear message needs sent that coming here illegally is not desireable and they want to go through the proper channels.

You seem to think its all or nothing.  Its not.  There IS a middle ground.  Increased legal immigration with decreased illegal immigration.  It can happen.  Otherwise, it will be anarchy.

Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 2:47pm

But according to the law makers it is all or nothing.  And most of them are leaning towards the nothing....  Yes, easier immigration laws would be great, but that isn't going to happen in today's world.

Not once in all of the recent talk has it even been suggested that the immigration laws become easier. The only compromise discussed was the "guest worker" program, which has failed miserably everywhere it has been implemented as it creates a state of apartheid.

It doesn't really matter anyway. The marches were for naught. Nothing will change and the legislation will go through. Illegals will start to be rounded up and deported and more jobs will be outsourced because the cheap labor will no longer be available so the economy will decline even further because there will not be the revenues generated from the businesses that have outsourced and two years from now we'll all be paying $5.00 for a pound of tomatoes.

Doom and gloom, doom and gloom......

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
USA1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 7:40pm

I think we can agree to disagree. There are definitely two sides to this and notmuch middle ground.

To me, in the middle of Texas where there are many Hispanics, I see people who are just struggling to survive. Their biggest crime is that they want something better. I guess I feel that we all come from the earth and shall return to the the earth, but we never really own the earth. It will be here long after we are gone, until the Day of Judgement. I live on a plot of land in the middle of Texas, but I am only borrowing it for a while. Who am I to say who can or cannot live here next?

As a Muslim we should want for others what we want for ourselves. As a human being, I see the rich and powerful getting more so, and the poor getting the shaft, and I feel compassion. Better to spend billions building people up than to spend them in destruction. Just my opinion...

People come to the US to find a "better way of life". Why would they NOT get their green card or apply for citizenship in the first place? Why would anyone risk everything, knowing they ARE breaking the law? Because we don't enforce our boarder and are FOR immigration but, Legal immigration. legal immigration protects those who are here. The benefit outways the illegality. Unless of coarse you are a criminal in the first place.

The biggest crime is that the countries the immigrants leave are countries which may lack in human rights or are ruled by greedy idiots. Mexico is the problem. To think that within our continent, there are still people living in a third world country. Mexico need to find away to keep it's people home. Make jobs in Mexico, make life better. Vicente Fox is taking the easy whay out of this delema. The immigrant put $80 million a year back into the Mexican economy and they didn't have to lift a finger. Just print maps on how to cross the boarder safely.

Vincente Fox needs to go.

They just don't get it!
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 8:16pm
You can't make jobs where none exist. Even when jobs are outsourced to Mexico, the workers are paid  $1-2.00 an hour. The only ones making any money are the companies and the government officials brokering the outsourcing.
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
USA1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2006 at 10:23am

You can't make jobs where none exist. Even when jobs are outsourced to Mexico, the workers are paid  $1-2.00 an hour. The only ones making any money are the companies and the government officials brokering the outsourcing.

Gee, I wonder how other countries manage? What makes Mexico so different is that they have a nieghbor who is willing to support illegal income crossing the boarder to the tune of about $80 billion a year. Why would they want to even try to make their own market?

The US needs to work with Mexico to promote jobs that stay in Mexico. You can see the pride the Mexicans have in their country by watching the rallies and all the Mexican flags flying. I would have to think they would be happier if Mexico actually did something to support their own people. If that happened you would have people going back to Mexcio.They come here because Mexico's ecconomy sucks.

They just don't get it!
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2006 at 10:55am

Vincente Fox needs to go

Him and a few others... lol

Getting to the US from Mexico is NOT easy. People risk their lives to come here. They die in the deserts of California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas.

It seems that there are a couple of issues here: the greedy world of the haves and have nots.. Why are people coming here? Because of lack of opportunity in Mexico as well as social and cultural factors.

People come here from Mexico because they often have limited means to pay for their survival. Having met and know people who may or may not have come here legally I cannot blame them.

I still believe that some of this has to do with how these people look. If they were from France or Great Britain most would not say a peep, after all they are like 'us'.

If you drive in the middle of US you'll see signs like "American owned." This refers to the people not like us who have come here, whether from Mexico, Pakistan, Angola. The 'other' does not look like us. 

Mishmish: the thing is you are speaking from compassion and care. Laws do not speak that way. Laws account for no variability. Just like the "No Child Left Behind Law". It attempts to put everyone into the same boat. Just an observation.  As you mentioned about where the money goes, well it will not spend itself on futile actions trying to enforce these laws. Short of building a wall like Israel is doing,between the US and Mexico nothing will keep people from coming. Then they will use other methods.

I agree there should be fairness in immigration.  But the government limits people from �undesirable� areas such as any Cuban can get into the US, but not a Jamaican or Haitian fleeing trouble / poverty etc.. Who is considered �acceptable� is the question.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2006 at 11:03am

Bono of U2 started a clothing line and opened a factory in a 3rd world country where is paying good wages to the people that work there versus the exploitation that others are suffering.  I feel there should be tax and tariff incentives for companies who pay their employees more.  Make it unlawful for companies incorporated in the United States to pay their employees abroad less than the equivalent of minimum wage here.  So if 1 USD = 44.79 INR, then they should not be able to pay less than 235.15 INR per hour to their employees in India....or 57.57 MXN (mexican pesos).    In many of these countries this would be alot of money even if it isn't in the United States.  But, it would cause the cost of living to rise here.  So, if Mishmish, myself and the others living in American can afford huge increases in our cost of living, then so be it. 

Saying that other countries have to improve their way of living is an idealist's model of a solution.  That will hurt the world economy just as much as current illegal immigration is hurting the US economy.  And its nearly impossible to convince other governments to protect their workers like we do ours.  You would have to end incompetence and greed to do that. 

However, it would be worth us, dropping the war in Iraq and instead offering to build up Mexico's infrastructure.  If we do that, they will grow on their own.  But, I personally would put the condition of them cracking down on the Drug Cartels like no other.  Wipe them out, all of them.  You get rid of the drugs.  We'll give you modern highways, airports and ports.  Industry will flock to Mexico then.  Much better money spent than whooping on some sad, sad insurgents in Iraq. 

Edited by Angela
USA1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2006 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

Vincente Fox needs to go

Him and a few others... lol

Getting to the US from Mexico is NOT easy. People risk their lives to come here. They die in the deserts of California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas.

It seems that there are a couple of issues here: the greedy world of the haves and have nots.. Why are people coming here? Because of lack of opportunity in Mexico as well as social and cultural factors.

People come here from Mexico because they often have limited means to pay for their survival. Having met and know people who may or may not have come here legally I cannot blame them.

I still believe that some of this has to do with how these people look. If they were from France or Great Britain most would not say a peep, after all they are like 'us'.

If you drive in the middle of US you'll see signs like "American owned." This refers to the people not like us who have come here, whether from Mexico, Pakistan, Angola. The 'other' does not look like us. 

Mishmish: the thing is you are speaking from compassion and care. Laws do not speak that way. Laws account for no variability. Just like the "No Child Left Behind Law". It attempts to put everyone into the same boat. Just an observation.  As you mentioned about where the money goes, well it will not spend itself on futile actions trying to enforce these laws. Short of building a wall like Israel is doing,between the US and Mexico nothing will keep people from coming. Then they will use other methods.

I agree there should be fairness in immigration.  But the government limits people from �undesirable� areas such as any Cuban can get into the US, but not a Jamaican or Haitian fleeing trouble / poverty etc.. Who is considered �acceptable� is the question.

I disagree with the "look like us" comment. I could care less what they look like or where they come from. Just do it legally and I (most) have no issues with it.  This is what this country is.

BTW- I love the Mexcian people and their culture.

I welcome anyone who wants to come here legally with good intensions and enjoy our culture but, without trying to change it to the one you left behind.

They just don't get it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic