IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - March May 1st For Immigrant Rights  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

March May 1st For Immigrant Rights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Mishmish Mishmish wrote:

Interesting point, but since we have an administration in power that does nothing but break the law with absolutely no repercussions, why pick on these people?

I know, two wrongs don't make a right. But it is the height of hypocrisy to say that illegal immigrants are felons for getting paid $3.00 an hour, then turn around and accept bribes from lobbyist or rent out rooms in the White House for overnight stays to constituents who pay you $100,000 under the table. Everytime we pay taxes we are rewarding law breakers because we are paying the salaries of our government.

If these new laws are passed, then if I feed a homeless person who happens to be an illegal, even if I don't know that, I can be charged with a felony. If I see someone having a heart attack in the street and offer them aid, if they are an illegal I can be charged with a felony.

So, whatever you do, check for papers before helping anyone from now on....

In other words, you feel we should open our country to everyone, regardless? No immigration at all? Let everyone come in. Right? make them all citizens with equal rights?

I am also an American Indian decendant, and I disagree with you.

They just don't get it!
amanzar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amanzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 9:19am

Wow, Angela.  VERY well said.  You just convinced me 100%.  Mishmish started giving me some doubts. 

None of that crossed my mind.  I'm very economically and politically illiterate, unfortunately.  One of the side effects of being a science nerd. 

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 9:48am

Amanzar,

I think America is better with immigration.  I'm not anti immigration.  But there must be rules and limits in everything.  Any Muslim should understand this.  This is not a perfect world.  Everyone wishes it was more perfect.  In a perfect world, the American Indians would have welcomed the persecuted Pilgrims and they would have lived in peace.  But the Pilgrims took advantage of their generosity in their arrogance.  In a perfect world, there would be no slavery, poverty or economic divide.  Millions would not be starving in Africa and thousands would not be dying in wars all over the globe. 

We are a nation founded on immigration.  However, the laws of economics and governmental programs require a citizenship and a limitation on immigration.  I think the current laws are too restrictive, but I will not agree that it should be completely open.  Here in Utah, we have a major problem with crime related to drugs, illegal immigration and fraud.  I had an employee I had to fire, he was an illegal using another woman's social security number to work.  I'm one of the few Human Resources people who does what they are supposed to and runs every number.  His number did not match name, sex or age.  Who was the victim?  Him for being fired from his job?  Perhaps, but what about the woman who's credit might be being hurt because he bought a Social Security Number from a forged documents dealer?  He was a hard working fellow, we told him if he became legal to call us back, we'd rehire him.  But, I wonder what's going to happen to the woman who's SSN he has next time she applies for a car loan or a home loan?

amanzar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amanzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 9:56am

Angela,

Yeah.  I definitely agree with you.  Easier laws, but not no laws. 

USA1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Angela Angela wrote:

Why have citizenship at all then Herjihad and Mishmish?  Why have Social Security Numbers, Taxes (Income Tax was supposed to be repealed after the first world war...hmmm), why have birth certificates and passports? 

Why have citizenship????  I'd rather live in a world I could just freely move to someplace like New Delhi, Kyoto or Amman and live anytime I wanted?  Or get a job in Moscow without filling out all the visa forms?  You know the Slavs pushed out native peoples as they populated Russia?  So they too should have open immigration. 

So, if we just let anyone come in how are we going to tell who's staying and who's visiting?  How do we know who to hire and who to require a worker's priviledge card or worker's visa?  How do we know who's coming and who's going in the realm of criminals and terrorists (note I did not specify what kind of terrorist....for past, present and future situations).

Increase legal immigration, make it easier to become a citizen, provide incentives to those willing to go the legal route.  DO NOT ALLOW PEOPLE TO BREAK THE LAW!  I agree with you Iraq is a bad, bad War.  I agree with you that Bush is draining this country dry.  Two wrongs never made a right, only three lefts.

But, to make you feel better Mishmish, I found you this political cartoon by Keefe of the Denver Post.

http://intoon.com/cartoons.cfm?action=browse&startdate=0 4/01/2006&id=16149

Just letting anyone in is not going to work....if you suddenly opened this country up.....you'd have MILLIONS just pouring into this country within weeks.  Anyone who had the money for a plane, train or boat would be here as fast as they could....in places like Flint Michigan, the unemployment rate is already 50%.  Here in Utah, its better, we have more jobs than people.  But, we're a bit rare in the scale of the rest of the country.  Could the US handle another 12 Million after the current 12 are given amnesty?  Could we handle 50 million more within years?  Where is your line?

I'm going to ask you both (Herjihad and Mishmish), you want to give the current twelve amnesty and then what?  What is your solution to the LONG TERM problem?  Housing, education, employment, healthcare.  (Did you know I have to wait 3 months to get into my OB/GYN because there are not enough doctors to patients in some specialities?  What if this becomes regular doctors?) 

Without Social Security numbers, there is no credit reporting and no way to track things like home loans, student loans and car loans.  I know Islam is against Riba, but reality is, the US economy runs on these things.  Without a way to track a persons identity, you can't even have a bank account in this country.  So, you want Amnesty, what's your solution?

Oh, and if they are given Amnesty, I think they should all be paid more than 5.25 an hour.  I want Minumum wage at like $7, so their cheap labor will be non existent because as citizens they'll be able to demand minimum wage or better and turn violators into the Labor Department.  So they will no longer benefit the US as cheap labor (since that's been one of your arguments), and since you can't raise a family on $5.25/hr, I'm assuming they'll need help.

I hear you jumping up and down about fairness, well, be fair to everyone.  You tell me how you want our country to open its borders up to anyone and everyone and still function as a sovereign nation.

Angela,

I agree totally with your opinions on this. This is not an immigration issue. Most Americans appreciate and welcome new immigrants into this society. It is the ILLEGAL part of immigration that 82% of Americans want fixed. 80% want illegals out of the country. They can come back but, LEGALLY.

They just don't get it!
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 12:38pm

There are illegal immigrants living in theis country who have been here for many years. They have children that were born here who are citizens. The new laws would force these children to choose between staying here, perhaps in the Foster care system, or being deported with their parents. Or worse, helping their parents and becoming criminals because of this.

I am not saying just let anyone and everyone into the country, but if they are already living here with families, and have no criminal records, other than being an illegal immigrant, then why not allow them citizenship, or at the least Green Card status? If they have been here long enough, they have already done the time.

I paid Social Security my whole working career. I will probably not be able to collect. This isn't because of illegal immigrants, this is because the system was not well thought out and mismanaged by the government. Populations increase and age. Right now we are experiencing the aging of America, where more people are getting older than working to pay in. In 20 years there will be even more people eligible for the benefits, but less people paying in. That's what is causing the collapse of Social Security.

Most of the illegals already here already have housing. Their children are already in schools. There is only a very small percentage who use any type of fraud to gain access to the system. Most of them are afraid to bring attention to themselves.

This is my solution, take away Pork-Barrel spending of my tax dollars:

Last year alone, Congress added an all-time high of 7,803 pork-barrel earmarks worth about $15 billion to this year's 13 appropriations bills.3 Included among these nearly 8,000 earmarks were novel proposals to extend federal responsibility to such projects as:

• A tattoo removal program in San Luis Obispo County, California ($50,000);
  • The Fort Union Trading Post Bike Trail in North Dakota ($500,000);
  • The Center on Obesity at West Virginia University ($2 million); and
  • An effort to combat "goth culture" in Blue Springs, Missouri ($270,000).4

Therapeutic Horseback Riding in Apple Valley, California ($150,000);

• The recovery of Preble's Meadow Jumping Mouse ($500,000); and
  • Washington State's dolphin replacement (replace them with what?) project ($4 million).

There was a huge ground swell of public sentiment from the people of Missouri for a million-dollar program to see whether public transit buses and trains could run on soybeans;

• Texans really did want $300,000 to pull the weeds out of the Navidad and Lavaca Rivers; and
  • Hawaiians, native Alaskans, and the Bay Staters of Massachusetts wanted $5 million to facilitate cultural exchanges that would allow them to reflect among themselves on the common roots of their 19th century whaling heritage.6   (The Heritage Foundation)

Take away the $15 billion in tax breaks from the oil companies. That's $30 billion right there. Use this money to help the illegal immigrants already living here fill out their paperwork for legal status and permission to work: Green Card.

That is not giving them their citizenship, just allowing them to come and go legally and pay the taxes that everyone seems to be so worried about.

This country gives away 50,000 Green Cards every year in the Green Card lottery. In 2004 there were 840,000 Worker Visas issued. What's the difference between these programs and granting Green Cards to illegal immigrants already living and working here?

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 1:01pm

There are illegal immigrants living in theis country who have been here for many years. They have children that were born here who are citizens. The new laws would force these children to choose between staying here, perhaps in the Foster care system, or being deported with their parents. Or worse, helping their parents and becoming criminals because of this.

I am not saying just let anyone and everyone into the country, but if they are already living here with families, and have no criminal records, other than being an illegal immigrant, then why not allow them citizenship, or at the least Green Card status? If they have been here long enough, they have already done the time.

So, where is the cutoff 1 year, 2, 5, 10?  And are we to reward the ones who were smart enough to get and infant involved?  Their crime is twice as shameful because they got their children caught in the middle of their crime.  We don't take children into account when prosecuting assault or drug possession.  The kids are put in foster care and the parents are prosecuted.  Why to these lawbreakers get a free pass?

Therapeutic Horseback Riding in Apple Valley, California ($150,000);

Therapeutic Horseback Riding is done for mentally handicapped children and children of trauma.  We had this program at the facility where I worked.  This is a HUGE deal for the children it  helps.  I won't consider this one pork.

That is not giving them their citizenship, just allowing them to come and go legally and pay the taxes that everyone seems to be so worried about.

This country gives away 50,000 Green Cards every year in the Green Card lottery. In 2004 there were 840,000 Worker Visas issued. What's the difference between these programs and granting Green Cards to illegal immigrants already living and working here?

So, 890,000 had to wait to do it legally, but you're going to punish them for their waiting by giving it to 12 million who didn't?  I'll let Jeanine know that her years of waiting and complying with the law are totally not worth you considering.  I'd rather have 2 million legal immigrants a year than 500,000 illegals. 

But, do not reward people who broke the law!  That is the very mentality of disrespect of the law that gave Bush the bright idea to do illegal easedropping. 

I'm not blaming Social Securities failure on the immigrants, but FICA and Medicaid are different than Social Security NUMBERS in relation to benefits, credit and identity.  How many facets of your life require that one number?????  If there is no immigration restriction, then there is no way to control the number of people who are entering the country. 

Another factoid for you.....in the late 1980s we gave amnesty to ever immigrant who could prove they had been here before a certain year.  The following year, illegal immigration skyrocketed and has been going full force ever since.  This is what they were counting on.

Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 2:07pm

I think we can agree to disagree. There are definitely two sides to this and notmuch middle ground.

To me, in the middle of Texas where there are many Hispanics, I see people who are just struggling to survive. Their biggest crime is that they want something better. I guess I feel that we all come from the earth and shall return to the the earth, but we never really own the earth. It will be here long after we are gone, until the Day of Judgement. I live on a plot of land in the middle of Texas, but I am only borrowing it for a while. Who am I to say who can or cannot live here next?

As a Muslim we should want for others what we want for ourselves. As a human being, I see the rich and powerful getting more so, and the poor getting the shaft, and I feel compassion. Better to spend billions building people up than to spend them in destruction. Just my opinion...

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic