IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - March May 1st For Immigrant Rights  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

March May 1st For Immigrant Rights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: March May 1st For Immigrant Rights
    Posted: 28 April 2006 at 5:19pm
Assalamu alaikum:

Are you planning to march on May 1, 2006?
Millions of Americans will be doing that for the rights
of immigrants in America, for respect and for
civil rights.

The plight of undocumented workers in America has
become a hot issue across the country. It has
fired up the 40 million-strong Latino-American
community, which is now the country's largest
minority, although at least one in four Latinos are
without legal papers. Millions of Latinos have marched
in the last two months.

This is a cause of justice. These people must not
be excluded from the American Dream. Many faith
leaders are also supporting this and marching
along with Latinos. I have personally spent a good
part of last two months in backing this movement.

Yet, we find that most mosques, Islamic centers
and Muslim organizations are not participating in
the fight against Senate Bill HR4437 that, if
passed, will criminalize not only the undocumented,
but anyone who feeds or helps a needy person who
is undocumented, including families, imams,
mosques, churches, temples, employers and others.

If you've ever known anyone who is undocumented,
you have some understanding of how utterly
precarious, painful and difficult their situation is.
This issue cannot be simplified by arguing that
they need to be booted out of the country. That is
a naïve, unrealistic and impossible solution to
the problem.

Muslims in America, over half a million of whom
became government targets after 9/11, failed to
successfully launch a movement for their rights.
However, by standing up for the rights of others
now, we may be able to support this movement, which
is being described as a potential second civil
rights movement. We must become part of this cause
today, before we watch our rights, the rights of
our children and the rights of all suffer.

I would like to thank the Asian-American
Institute, which gave me an award for community service
last night. The Domestic Violence Social Service
Agency Apna Ghar and reporter Linda Yu of ABC 7
News were also awarded as this year's Milestone
Makers. And thank you Linda Yu for your on-air
comments about my community services.

Peace,

Abdul Malik Mujahid

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2006 at 5:45pm

I know I'm going to be very unpopular for saying this, but I will not be marching for the undocumented immigrants.

I welcome ALL LEGAL immigrants to the United States, for those law abiding citizens-to-be, I feel they enrich this country.

However, I do not believe in rewarding 12 million lawbreakers.  I don't care if they wanted a better life, if they wanted to be here, they could have gone through the same channels my family took to get here.  They could go through the same painstaking process that many immigrants from all over the world went through to get here. 

The Law is the Law. 

I was going to sponsor a friends fiancee to come here from Morocco.  I'm not anti immigration.  I am opposed to people coming here without following proper channels, breaking laws and flaunting the fact.  And I'm very upset that the Latino community things they have special rights when there are thousands of Asians, Europeans, Middle Easterners and such waiting in line to get permission to come.  They don't have the luxury of walking across the desert to get their citizenship in some amnesty deal.

I'm sorry if this offends.  But, when your factory starts paying $3 dollars less an hour because they can higher an illegal cheaper than the hardworking citizen.  You lose most of your sympathy.

Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2006 at 12:56am

Angela, I can totally understand where you're coming from.  BUT, it's hypocritical for the US government to call anyone illegal in the United States of America.   Only the aboriginal Americans should have this right.  This is a clasic case of the pot calling the kettle black!

Salam

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2006 at 6:18am

Bismillah,

ISA the march helps the effort to give immunity to immigrants living in America.  As a voting American citizen with the attitude of the earthling that I am, I would vote for decriminalizing immigration by increasing the numbers expansively for the people who seek to come here.  I also believe in health care scaled to the income of people and would apply it to these people as well.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2006 at 3:55pm

Assalamu alaikum,

I support the boycot. But it doesn't mean I want to heart the american economy  but just to show we are exist, we are not only a burden, but big or little we do have contribution to the american economy. I'll stay home, work remotely, at least I don't spend a few gallon on gasoline.

Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
ops154 View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ops154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2006 at 8:48pm

I'm sorry but the day I see hundreds of thousands of illegal mexicans protesting in thier own country about the conditions thier government won't do anything about is the day I care what ILLEGAL immagrants have to say. The way I see is it is if you want to come here then fine, follow the law and wait your turn and I wouldn't have any problems with you. But if you jump a fence to get here and then demand equal rights then you are just wasting your breath.

Sorry but I don't believe any foreigner should think they have the right to tell us what our immigration policy should be. And as for the Indians, they lost the war so get over it.

Get it through your heads that I don't support Bush or the Israeli's! Thank your lucky stars for America is here to stay!!!
Apex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2006 at 9:21pm

Hello all,

if I may give another opinion......

I echo the same sentiment that Angela had said which is the understanding of the plight of immigrants who migrate to this country for a better life yet do so in a legal way. I believe that it's understandbale that any human being under the conditions of survival would commit such actions however I do not believe that such actions are justifiable.

The reason being is that it is proven that illegal immigrants economically diminish the American economical syustem. It is true that there are SOMe that contribute to American society, but illegal immigrants generally do not do the following:

1) Pay into Social Security

2) Have health insurance

3) Have car insurance

4) Any education beyond grade school

I used to in the Emergency Room and I cannot tell you how many countless individuals whom we have treated and release who do not have insurance who are also illegal immigrants. By the way who fits the bill if an illegal immigrant is treated? We do. That is why because of uninsured individuals such as these we have had several units at my hospital closed because per month these clinics were losing over $235,000 per month.

Did you guys kjnow that in Mexico it is more difficult than the U.S to become a citizen? did you also know that any foreigner of Mexico cannot legally own property unless he is a citizen and that the government would seize any property built in the country of Mexico if he/she is not a citizen?

Now in comparison to the laws of Mexico America is pretty easy when it comes to the discussion of illegal immigration. In response to Abeer in the arguement that Americans (I assume the Anglo Americans) were illegal immigrants in actuality since before the settlements there were no laws which would constitue any individual that is of non-indegenous personnel an illegal immigrant you cannot say that the early settlers were "illegal" in the sense of the word, although I would agree that they were immigrant.

I also agree that early settlers were theives because they did steal this land from the Native Americans. However using these historical truths does not justify the legalization of 25 million or so immigrants. Ibelieve people who migrate should have a chance at a better life here, however they must do so the right way.

I also believe that an immigrant coming to America  must be an American. They should acclimate to American society. They must learn American history at least some general concepts. They must learn English and do not expect americans to learn their language. To me the latter is my biggest problem but all in all these people can march all they want but it doesn't justifying the criminal act of coming to this country illegally and to ops I totally disagree with your lasting remark of the Native americans because that is definitely insensitive.

ops154 View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ops154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2006 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Apex Apex wrote:

Hello all,

if I may give another opinion......

I echo the same sentiment that Angela had said which is the understanding of the plight of immigrants who migrate to this country for a better life yet do so in a legal way. I believe that it's understandbale that any human being under the conditions of survival would commit such actions however I do not believe that such actions are justifiable.

The reason being is that it is proven that illegal immigrants economically diminish the American economical syustem. It is true that there are SOMe that contribute to American society, but illegal immigrants generally do not do the following:

1) Pay into Social Security

2) Have health insurance

3) Have car insurance

4) Any education beyond grade school

I used to in the Emergency Room and I cannot tell you how many countless individuals whom we have treated and release who do not have insurance who are also illegal immigrants. By the way who fits the bill if an illegal immigrant is treated? We do. That is why because of uninsured individuals such as these we have had several units at my hospital closed because per month these clinics were losing over $235,000 per month.

Did you guys kjnow that in Mexico it is more difficult than the U.S to become a citizen? did you also know that any foreigner of Mexico cannot legally own property unless he is a citizen and that the government would seize any property built in the country of Mexico if he/she is not a citizen?

Now in comparison to the laws of Mexico America is pretty easy when it comes to the discussion of illegal immigration. In response to Abeer in the arguement that Americans (I assume the Anglo Americans) were illegal immigrants in actuality since before the settlements there were no laws which would constitue any individual that is of non-indegenous personnel an illegal immigrant you cannot say that the early settlers were "illegal" in the sense of the word, although I would agree that they were immigrant.

I also agree that early settlers were theives because they did steal this land from the Native Americans. However using these historical truths does not justify the legalization of 25 million or so immigrants. Ibelieve people who migrate should have a chance at a better life here, however they must do so the right way.

I also believe that an immigrant coming to America  must be an American. They should acclimate to American society. They must learn American history at least some general concepts. They must learn English and do not expect americans to learn their language. To me the latter is my biggest problem but all in all these people can march all they want but it doesn't justifying the criminal act of coming to this country illegally and to ops I totally disagree with your lasting remark of the Native americans because that is definitely insensitive.

Sorry but facts are sometimes insensitive. Did they not lose the war?

Get it through your heads that I don't support Bush or the Israeli's! Thank your lucky stars for America is here to stay!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic