IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - i believe Quran and Bible  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

i believe Quran and Bible

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 19>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syed_z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2016 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by DavidC DavidC wrote:

Thank you, Syed. The resource I found most valuable as a Christian in understanding violence in Islam was Martin Ling's biography of Muhammad. Ling used hadith exclusively as his source, so one can read direct accounts of Muhammad acting as a general through a well documented, traditional muslim perspective.

Muhammad's sense of chivalry, fair play and mercy are shown to be a definitive part of his ethos. The Qu'ran is limited in discussing violence, and reading hadith is exhausting. I think Ling did a good job of presenting an orthodox Muslim perspective and anyone interested in understanding violence within Islam as Muslims understand it would do well to start with Ling.

It is also simply a fascinating read, and biography of one of histories most important personalities.

Greetings David,

Thank you for your comments. I haven't personally read Martin Ling's work on Prophet Muhammad's biography but I have read many Muslim and Non-Muslims who have referred to his work in their writings. So I think he is one of the influential Non-Muslim writers on Prophet Muhammad's life.

I do agree that Prophet Muhammad is one of most important personalities in history. In addition to Martin there are other Non-Muslim writers who have given an honest account of his life and how Quran was his guide in achieving the mission he was sent with. 

In fact one of the very recent Christian writers named Michael Hart in his work called '100 Most Influential People in history' ranked Prophet Muhammad (SallAllahu alaihi Wassallam) as # 1. He explains his choice in the following words:

"My choice of Muhammad to lead the list of the world's most influential persons may surprise some readers and may be questioned by others, but he was the only man in history who was supremely successful on both the religious and secular levels...

Muhammad founded and promulgated one of the world's great religions, and became an immensely effective political leader. Today, thirteen centuries after his death, his influence is still powerful and pervasive... Like all religions, Islam exerts an enormous influence upon the lives of its followers. It is for this reason that the founders of the world's great religions all figure prominently in this book. Since there are roughly twice as many Christians as Moslems in the world, it may initially seem strange that Muhammad has been ranked higher than Jesus. There are two principal reasons for that decision. First, Muhammad played a far more important role in the development of Islam than Jesus did in the development of Christianity. Although Jesus was responsible for the main ethical and moral precepts of Christianity (insofar as these differed from Judaism), St. Paul was the main developer of Christian theology, its principal proselytizer, and the author of a large portion of the New Testament.

Muhammad, however, was responsible for both the theology of Islam and its main ethical and moral principles. In addition, he played the key role in proselytizing the new faith, and in establishing the religious practices of Islam. Moreover, he is the author of the Moslem holy scriptures, the Koran, a collection of certain of Muhammad's insights that he believed had been directly revealed to him by Allah. Most of these utterances were copied more or less faithfully during Muhammad's lifetime and were collected together in authoritative form not long after his death. The Koran therefore, closely represents Muhammad's ideas and teachings and to a considerable extent his exact words. No such detailed compilation of the teachings of Christ has survived. Since the Koran is at least as important to Moslems as the Bible is to Christians, the influence of Muhammed through the medium of the Koran has been enormous It is probable that the relative influence of Muhammad on Islam has been larger than the combined influence of Jesus Christ and St. Paul on Christianity. On the purely religious level, then, it seems likely that Muhammad has been as influential in human history as Jesus.

Furthermore, Muhammad (unlike Jesus) was a secular as well as a religious leader. In fact, as the driving force behind the Arab conquests, he may well rank as the most influential political leader of all time... the Arab conquests of the seventh century have continued to play an important role in human history, down to the present day. It is this unparalleled combination of secular and religious influence which I feel entitles Muhammad to be considered the most influential single figure in human history."

http://www.adherents.com/adh_influ.html#Muhammad

Keeping Hart's explanation in mind is why we Muslims believe that Allah (swt) refers to the life of Prophet Muhammad (sallAllahu alaihi Wassallam) as the best example for entire mankind till the day of judgment:

Al Quran 33:21

The Messenger of God is an excellent model for those of you who put your hope in God and the Last Day and remember Him often.

Whether you are father, husband, suffering from poverty, political leader, military commander, Employer (referred to as Master in the past), A judge , a spiritual leader etc, whatever you are, there is a best model available for you in the life of the Final Messenger of God.

As for your words of 'Violence within Islam' I would humbly disagree because to me violence is a form of lunacy. In the teachings of Islam Muslims are not allowed to resort to violence at any circumstances. They can only resort to fighting in self defense. Allah (swt), did not only gave permission to the Muslims to fight when faced with aggression but also people of other religions to defend themselves if they are attacked by similar force:

Al Quran 22:38-40

Those who have been attacked are permitted to take up arms because they have been wronged��God has the power to help them�� those who have been driven unjustly from their homes only for saying, �Our Lord is God.� If God did not repel some people by means of others, many monasteries, churches, synagogues, and mosques, where God�s name is much invoked, would have been destroyed.

The above Verse was the first commandment allowing Muslims to fight in self defense only after they had been patient against severe persecution done to them for more than 10 years.

Just FYI, Muslims don't own monasteries, churches and synagogues. The message of the Quran is a Universal one.

Thank you.
DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2016 at 6:10am
Martin Lings (not Ling, my bad) was Muslim. A thorough scholar, he cited many hadith from the more obscure collections.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Lings
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
syed_z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syed_z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2016 at 7:05pm
Oh I see, interesting. Thanks for correcting me.

Like I said I never read his work but saw it referenced by other writers.

Thank you for sharing the link.

DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2016 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by syed_z syed_z wrote:

Oh I see, interesting. Thanks for correcting me. Like I said I never read his work but saw it referenced by other writers. Thank you for sharing the link.

Maybe Santa Claus will bring you a copy for Christmas!
syed_z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syed_z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2016 at 5:43am

Oh I see, interesting. Thanks for correcting me. Like I said I never read his work but saw it referenced by other writers. Thank you for sharing the link.

Maybe Santa Claus will bring you a copy for Christmas! [IMG]smileys/smiley36.gif" align="middle" />

I don't believe in fairy tales like Santa clause. You're most welcome to send me one.
DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2016 at 7:54am

Maybe Santa Claus will bring you a copy for Christmas! [IMG]smileys/smiley36.gif" align="middle" />

I don't believe in fairy tales like Santa clause. You're most welcome to send me one.

With pleasure my friend. It's on sale this weekend for under $11. PM me an address. If you are not in the US send a bitcoin address.

https://www.amazon.com/Muhammad-Life-Based-Earliest-Sources/dp/1594771537/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480175183&sr=8-1&keywords=martin+lings+muhammad+his+life+based+on+the+earliest+sources
Saved View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saved Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2016 at 12:47pm

Muhammad (unlike Jesus) was a secular as well as a religious leader. In fact, as the driving force behind the Arab conquests, he may well rank as the most influential political leader of all time... the Arab conquests of the seventh century have continued to play an important role in human history, down to the present day. It is this unparalleled combination of secular and religious influence which I feel entitles Muhammad to be considered the most influential single figure in human history."
Since Jesus influenced Muhammad, I would have to say he would be considered the most influential single figure in human history. Even the Quran speaks more about Jesus than it does of Muhammad.
But I agree; Muhammad is unlike Jesus!

Edited by Saved - 26 November 2016 at 12:48pm
2Acts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Acts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2016 at 2:24pm

Originally posted by 2Acts 2Acts wrote:

Originally posted by Saved Saved wrote:

Jesus tells us in so many ways doing to people the evil they do to you will only make the world blind and lame. We are to love our enemies and pray for those that use and abuse us. There is no other better way; that is the truth that trumps falsehood.

Regards,
Saved
Saved,Please learn your own scriptures before you come here to preach us.The thirty-fourth verse of the tenth chapter of Matthew quotes Isa (alaihi Salaam) as having said, �Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.� (Matt: 1034) It is written in the fifty-first verse of the twelfth chapter of Luke that Isa (alaihi Salaam) said, �Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:� (Luke: 12-51) All the best.

It is obvious Jesus was talking figuratively. He was simply saying his message would bring division. He was not and never did advocate violence. Unlike Mohamad. There are dozens of verses in the Quran that advocate violence.

The sword is a common Biblical image. The Roman short sword was an axe, a knife, even a shovel. Searching through the Bible the imagery is usually of dividing and cleaning. Separating good from bad, meat from bone, removing excess fat and sinew. We even have God's tongue appearing as a sword in Revelation, sorting out the final judgment

Sometimes the sword is a tool of violence, but not often. Most Biblical violence is in the OT histories. The ability to forge iron was a closely guarded Phoenician technology the Israelites did not have. In the story of the defeat of Sisera in Judges, Deborah's entire army only had one brass sword.

By Mohammed's time weaponry and metallurgy had become much more advanced.
Greetings David, I appreciate your explanation.The fact that people like Saved misinterpret words of Quran and claim that its a religion of violence and there is no love, so my point to show him that such words also exist in the Gospel and can be misinterpreted. .�

There is no misrepresentation of the Quaran when it comes to violence. It is very clear. It promotes violence. In terms of violence the Quran and New Testament are poles apart. People try to find Jesus advocating violence with a couple of verses that are obviously only figurative. Violence in the Quran is very easy to find. The Quaran is full of verses advocating violence. Compare Jesus to Mohamad. Jesus never advocated violence. Mohamad however was a violent man.

Edited by 2Acts - 26 November 2016 at 2:26pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 19>
  Share Topic