IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Apostacy and few other issues  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Apostacy and few other issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2012 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

As I'm sure you know, the Quran says in many places that it is complete, perfect and fully detailed.� If it doesn't mention precisely how to drink water or how to pray, then according to Allah it doesn't matter exactly how you drink water or how you pray.� If Muhammad said otherwise, then Muhammad was giving instruction to his companions and followers in his own time and place.� Those instructions were never intended to be preserved for all time, i.e. never intended as a permanent part of Islam.
�

Honestly, Nausheen, do you think Allah ran out of words, or forgot to include things in the Quran?� Or was He lying when He said the Quran was complete?

Ron,
the Quran and the Prophet has separate roles in my understanding. The Quran is complete and the role of the Prophet is to explain, live, and to put the words of the Quran in practice. It is often said that the Prophet (pbuh) was a living Quran.
Ron, if you have been to school, you must remember that it was your teacher who opened up those lessons or maths equations that did not make any sense to you at first. Once the teacher explained to you the formula or gave you that added information it all made sense and became easy to follow through.
The prophet was not just the messenger but also a teacher. When it is said to offer your Salat five times of day, Quran is not incomplete to not draw the specifics rather that was the job of the teacher, the prophet who was instructed to how to do it and then teach how it is done properly. Thus the prophet lived and explained each aspect of life that was important.
You never questioned, why do you need or have to listen to the Chemistry teacher or Maths teacher to explain to you those text books?
Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) came as the last prophet to mankind and through him came the Quran as the last message for mankind that means that the Quran and his example is valid until the world ends.

Hasan

Edited by honeto - 17 September 2012 at 12:55pm
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2012 at 11:48am
Originally posted by bunter bunter wrote:

Originally posted by honeto honeto wrote:

And for the issue of Jesus' divinity, your quote you are assuming meant that he was claiming to be God, for that they wanted to kill him for blasphemy? Suppose we assume you to be right, even though we know that you are not based on evidence. There are other problems in the Bible that will contradict that, for example there are at least two other accounts of the same event that give a complete different reason for the Jews to kill him for: "Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?" John 10:36

The third reason given in the Bible for which the Jews wanted to kill him is also part of the same story in the same Bible: "And set up over his head his accusation written, THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS." Matthew 27:37

So take your best guess!

Also remember there is ample evidence we have seen in the Bible that suggests Jesus to be a servant of God and a prophet of God, I guess all that is meaningless when you want to see him as God. My favorite quote (to show to Christians) is:"but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God." John 20:17

I hope you don't ignore facts and truth that will save you one day.
Hasan

Some points, you do not seem to make any distinction between what Jesus said about himself and what others said. For example, you take as evidence the fact that Pilate, the Roman governor, placed a sign on the cross about Jesus being King of the Jews - does that really amount to evidence of substance as to whether Jesus is God or not?

So I wonder are you simply bringing you personal bias to the Gospel accounts and imposing them on the text, any text so long as it backs up you predisposed position?[/QUOTE]

Bunter,
you missed the point. For putting that quote up it was meant to show those of you who take another such quotes to assume that he was God. The quote where he was being killed because the charge was that he blasphemed against God by claiming to be God.
Hasan

Edited by honeto - 17 September 2012 at 12:58pm
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2012 at 8:46am
As I'm sure you know, the Quran says in many places that it is complete, perfect and fully detailed.  If it doesn't mention precisely how to drink water or how to pray, then according to Allah it doesn't matter exactly how you drink water or how you pray.  If Muhammad said otherwise, then Muhammad was giving instruction to his companions and followers in his own time and place.  Those instructions were never intended to be preserved for all time, i.e. never intended as a permanent part of Islam.

Honestly, Nausheen, do you think Allah ran out of words, or forgot to include things in the Quran?  Or was He lying when He said the Quran was complete?
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2012 at 12:30am

Or it could mean that most Muslims are committing blasphemy. Wink 

There are two things being mixed by you and others -
1. Muhammad (sallallahu alaihe wassalam) and
2. The message which he conveyed.

If muslims believe in the message he brought and treat ts as the word of God this does not mean Muhammad (saw) = God.
This only means the message he conveyed is from God, not from himself.

The message here means the Quran, down to every letter.

Now the question arises (which I regard as a genuine one from the non-muslims) why the hadith are treated with so much regard.

The sunnah are held in extreme high regard, but the hadith (documentation of the sunnah) are not equal to the Quran, ie they are not the exact words of God all the time.

The reason for following the hadith are many. The nature of every hadith is different, thus the reason for it being followed is different.
eg. there is a sunnah way of drinking water. Now, if we do not drink water in the sunnah way all the time, does not mean we have gone astray from religion. This only means one who drinks water the sunnah way, gets the reward of drinking water at the same time he is quenching his thirst.
Following the  sunnah is a means of earning the God pleasure of the creator, and a means of growing near to Him, because the sunnah ways the the ways of the one who is most beloved to Him.

There are other hadith which explain the verses of the quran - the companions used to ask Muhammad (saw) about the verses, and his explanations are not believed to be from himself alone, ie he did not explain without true knowledge of God's intent in the verses - thus whatever expositions he has given, we treat them as coming from the knowledge of God to Muhammad (saw) to mankind.

Other hadith detail the proper protocol for obligatory worship (the exact protocol for 5 obligatory prayers is not detailed in the Quran) - again this is not from Muhammad (saw) in the sense of him being just a teacher, rather it is from Muhammad (Saw) conveying the intention of God.

And like this there are several hadith of varied nature, all of which are not the scope of this post.

What he brought from God is treated as comming from God , via him, and not as something originating from him, in the same way as laws and instructions originate from God.

Muhammad's (saw) message is not like that of a press reporter who conveys to us the incident 'in his own way' His message is like that of a God appointed messenger, which had he not conveyed exactly the way it was supposed to be, he would have been corrected and reprimanded by the Authority who appointed him for this job.

So, when muslim treat the message he conveyed, as that from God they are NOT calling him  God.

[Since Islam was completed in stages in a span of 23 years, there have been changes in laws during these years. There are abrogations and corrections (if you may), all brought to the final shape within the lifetime of the messenger.
We choose to ignore the laws which have been abrogated during those 23 years.

I presume you are referring to the hadiths, not the Quran (else how could Allah's words ever be changed or abrogated?).  Then how many more changes might be expected over 1400 years?  Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that most of the hadith ought to have been abrogated by now?

I was very much referring to the Quran. Quran has abrogations - which means God did change His word.
When God can change Divine laws from Moses to Muhammad (saw), they why can he not change them within the 23 years of making those laws for the people of Muhammad (saw).

Edited by Nausheen - 14 September 2012 at 12:40am
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2012 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Nausheen Nausheen wrote:

To Bunter:

Equating God with any man is blasphemy in Islam. - This means we DO NOT equate the prophet with God. 

Or it could mean that most Muslims are committing blasphemy. Wink

Quote Since Islam was completed in stages in a span of 23 years, there have been changes in laws during these years. There are abrogations and corrections (if you may), all brought to the final shape within the lifetime of the messenger.
We choose to ignore the laws which have been abrogated during those 23 years.

I presume you are referring to the hadiths, not the Quran (else how could Allah's words ever be changed or abrogated?).  Then how many more changes might be expected over 1400 years?  Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that most of the hadith ought to have been abrogated by now?

Edited by Ron Webb - 13 September 2012 at 5:46pm
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2012 at 5:37pm

Bunter,
I am not sure if you understand, what it means to obey the prophet and obey God. Prophets and apostles brought word of God that had to be obeyed. Prophets never claimed to be God, nor to be worshiped like God. So I am puzzled at your lack of differentiation of the two.

Just as we are puzzled by your lack of differentiation.  You obey Muhammad, just as you would obey Allah.  You treat every authentic word and action of Muhammad as permanent doctrine, just as you do with Allah.  You consider it sacrilege to insult Muhammad, just as you would Allah.  You attribute to Muhammad qualities of wisdom, virtue, stamina, etc., which if not equal to Allah are certainly beyond those of mortals. So aside from simply declaring that Muhammad is not a partner of Allah, in what practical sense do you believe or behave any differently than if he were?

Quote Muslims, through their prophet are told to not worship anything or anyone other than God. Prophet Mohammed(pbuh) was a living example of that command as all prophets were to live an example of what was preached through them, and thus not worshiping anything or anyone other than God by Muslims is following the example of their prophet. Where is blasphemy there, can you point out?

The blasphemy is in writing down the Hadith of the prophet, despite having been specifically told not to do so, and in treating those sayings as if they had the same authority as Allah's words in the Quran.  The Hadith were specific guidance for a specific people and a specific time.  They were never meant to be preserved forever.

bunter View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2012 at 4:50am

And for the issue of Jesus' divinity, your quote you are assuming meant that he was claiming to be God, for that they wanted to kill him for blasphemy? Suppose we assume you to be right, even though we know that you are not based on evidence. There are other problems in the Bible that will contradict that, for example there are at least two other accounts of the same event that give a complete different reason for the Jews to kill him for: "Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?" John 10:36

The third reason given in the Bible for which the Jews wanted to kill him is also part of the same story in the same Bible: "And set up over his head his accusation written, THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS." Matthew 27:37

So take your best guess!

Also remember there is ample evidence we have seen in the Bible that suggests Jesus to be a servant of God and a prophet of God, I guess all that is meaningless when you want to see him as God. My favorite quote (to show to Christians) is:"but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God." John 20:17

I hope you don't ignore facts and truth that will save you one day.
Hasan[/QUOTE]

Some points, you do not seem to make any distinction between what Jesus said about himself and what others said. For example, you take as evidence the fact that Pilate, the Roman governor, placed a sign on the cross about Jesus being King of the Jews - does that really amount to evidence of substance as to whether Jesus is God or not?

So I wonder are you simply bringing you personal bias to the Gospel accounts and imposing them on the text, any text so long as it backs up you predisposed position?
bunter View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2012 at 4:41am

Also you say their is nothing in Bible that say to obey apostles. Even though I understood what it is saying (following verse) but care to shed light on its message which basically goes against your argument that Christians are told not to obey their apostles (how silly):
John 15:20 Remember what I told you: �A servant is not greater than his master.� If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. Hasan

Christians are enjoined to listen to and hand over their lives to God. When we stand before God he is not going to say why are you not like Moses, or Jeremiah or whoever, he is going to say why are you not like Bunter or Hasan - we are everyone of us different and for each of us God has a plan and that is what we must seek and follow.

Now the verse is interesting because it is part of the last few teachings imparted before the Jesus died and if we look at the context its about loving one another and persecution. It follows I think that we cannot interpret this verse as meaning we can invent our own teachings which must be obeyed. Rather, as V21 implies, the persecution will come because the disciples would pass on the teachings of Jesus.

Edited by bunter - 13 September 2012 at 4:43am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic