IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Response to Apollos  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Response to Apollos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2009 at 12:52pm
"I do not believe the Hosea passage � or some other passages alluded to in a similar way � can be justified by a simple literal reading of the original passage. I thought that by giving you examples of other dual meaning passages that explain themselves might help you see how there can be different meanings to TANACH passages. Apparently you only want me to �prove� this specific statement in Hosea is prophetic without any appeal to Jesus or Matthew. I will try to do this at the end of this post but I will need to appeal to Targums and multiple meanings so let me explain the basis for these first."

Well, don't you think that it would be appropriate to prove that the verse in Hosea 11 has some sort hidden meaning behind it, since that is the topic of this thread?  My initial question to the Christians on this forum was precisely why Hosea 11 was regarded as a prophecy about the Messiah, when it clearly referred only to Israel.  And let me repeat for the 3rd time now: even if there was a dual meaning in Hosea 11, and the chapter is talking about both Israel and the Messiah, then in the context of the entire chapter, the Messiah, like Israel, is criticized by God for sinning, for worshiping idols, etc.  How then can Christians insist that the chapter is also referring to the Messiah, who was supposedly sinless?  I don't know why you keep ignoring this important point.

"
I would also like to clarify that you have misunderstood or miss-stated my comments about pre-Jesus Jewish thought. There was not complete consensus among Jews concerning TANACH during Jesus� day."

I agree.  I don't think there was consensus even before Jesus' time.  However, you would have to prove that one of the interpretations that did exist in those times revolves around the kind espoused by "Matthew"To do that, you would have to show primary sources from that time, Jewish ones, which support that claim.  In addition to that, you would have to prove somehow that that interpretation was the correct one.  Honestly, I don't know how you, a non-Jew, could do that.  Thus far, all you have done is interpret the text according to your own understanding, the Christian one.  And when you did cite sources (which you only did in your last post), they were always Christian sources.  That is disappointing, considering that you have been telling me to look at the text from the Jewish perspective, which I believe I have done.

"Consider the Sadducees for example who did not believe in an after-life yet they claimed they believed in what TANACH said. So if we find a quote from a Sadducee on a passage in Hosea, should we treat that view as �the Jewish view�?"

So, do me and yourself a favor and show us the "true Jewish view".    

"I think not. But even that type of Jew is a better example of the Jew Matthew was writing to in his account � than the modern day Jew that you want to quote. If you want to second-guess Matthew�s statements from a Jewish perspective, you should do so based on the Jews of his time not ours."

With all due respect, I think even a modern Jewish interpretation is better than a non-Jewish understanding, which is the only you have brought thus far.

"And when you decide that the Jews of that day who rejected Jesus were automatically the true Jews, on what basis do you do this? Should we automatically consider those who rejected Mohammed�s message as the true believers?"

I never said that.  I merely said that the Christian appeal to Hosea 11 to justify the their beliefs was incorrect.  Can you show me any Jewish texts that time which explicitly state that Hosea 11 could be interpreted as referring to both Israel and the Messiah?  The Gospel of Matthew, a Christian text, seems to be the only text we know of that makes that claim. 

"
One of the sources we have for early and pre-Jesus Jewish thought are Targums - ancient Aramaic translations, plus comments, of the Old Testament. The older the better but even those completed after the time of Jesus generally reflect pre-Jesus Jewish beliefs. (Some think Targum Jonathan on the Prophets is pre-Christian already). In using these sources, one can make the case that the Hosea passage and others were understood by Jewish sages the same as Matthew does."

Sounds great.  Now all you have to do is back your claim up with sources.  Which Jewish sages believed Hosea could have been a prophecy of the Messiah?  Josephus?  Philo? 

"
Even without including Jewish Kabbalah � which many Jews hold to, it is clear that an orthodox Jewish reading of Torah includes more than simply Peshat. Do an internet search for the above words and you will confirm these things as well known Jewish interpretations of Torah."

This is all well and good. I am not contending any of this. I still fail to see how "Matthew" was right to use Hosea 11 as a reference to the Messiah. 

"
For a lengthy list of passages and historical documentations for Typology, I refer you to this link: http://www.christian-thinktank.com/typol.html . It is from a Christian but I doubt a Jew would disagree with the examples from the TANACH that he lists."

I completely disagree.  The article begins with a reference to the very topic of this thread, the Hosea-Matthew conundrum.  I think every Jew would disagree with the claim made by the author.  You are resorting to circular reasoning, and not bringing anything concrete.  Let me once again point out that you are not practicing what you have been preaching.  Your entire premise is based on non-Jewish claims, not Jewish ones.  Yet you criticize me for not looking at the correct "Jewish view".  At least I am quoting Jewish sources, even if in your view, they are not correct ones.

"
In the Targum on Isaiah 9:5-6, the child is seen as the Messiah. It is generally agreed that the child of Isaiah 7:14 is the same child as Isaiah 9:5 and therefore not Hezekiah - or Hezekiah and the Messiah with dual meanings involved. The point is � when a prophet speaks of God saying �my son�, the ancient Jews immediately suspected a reference to the Messiah or a dual meaning including the Messiah. (There are many other examples but I am trying to be concise.)"

Where are your sources?  By whom is it "...
agreed that the child of Isaiah 7:14 is the same child as Isaiah 9:5 and therefore not Hezekiah..."?  Where is it stated that when God said "my son", the ancient Jews knew he was referring to the Messiah?

"
It is also likely that Matthew was quoting from a Targum in his statement because the specific wording is slightly different in the Greek than the Septuagint. I offer some references on this if you want to study the details. http://www.bsw.org/project/filologia/filo12/Art05n.html

http://www.bsw.org/project/filologia/filo12/Art05.html

http://www.xenos.org/ministries/crossroads/OnlineJournal/issue3/mtappa.htm"

Once again, a Christian source...Why is it so difficult to bring a Jewish source?  Every source you have referenced has echoed the same non-Jewish interpretation, and yet not once has a Jewish interpretation been offered.  I appreciate your efforts but you have failed to prove your point. 

"
The Targum on Hosea does not elaborate on the meaning of the �son� in verse 11:1 but it does differ from the Septuagint translation which renders this �his children�. Matthew, the Masoretic Text and and the Targum on Hosea are all in agreement on the wording."

And this proves what?  Even if the son is both Israel and the Messiah, is it correct to come to the conclusion that like Israel, the Messiah would also sin against God?

"
When one considers that it is completely proper for a Jew to read a passage with different meanings in mind (see Wikipedia and other sources above), and that a reference to �God�s son� was typically viewed as Messianic (see references to Targum on Isaiah above), it is completely reasonable for Matthew to refer to Hosea 11:1 as he does. At a minimum, there is no contrary view on this passage in the Targums. The burden of proof is therefore on the one claiming Matthew is wrong."

No, the burden of proof would be on the person who initially made the claim that Hosea 11 was a prophecy about the Messiah (i.e. "Matthew")"Matthew" does not expound on how he came to that conclusion.  He did not say anything about a dual meaning.  The burden of proof is also on you to prove that Matthew's perspective was 1) the correct view and 2) a view shared by Jews of the time.  Thus far, you have failed, in my opinion, to prove your position. 
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Apollos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apollos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2009 at 10:59pm

"I do not believe the Hosea passage � or some other passages alluded to in a similar way � can be justified by a simple literal reading of the original passage. I thought that by giving you examples of other dual meaning passages that explain themselves might help you see how there can be different meanings to TANACH passages. Apparently you only want me to �prove� this specific statement in Hosea is prophetic without any appeal to Jesus or Matthew. I will try to do this at the end of this post but I will need to appeal to Targums and multiple meanings so let me explain the basis for these first."

Well, don't you think that it would be appropriate to prove that the verse in Hosea 11 has some sort hidden meaning behind it, since that is the topic of this thread?  My initial question to the Christians on this forum was precisely why Hosea 11 was regarded as a prophecy about the Messiah, when it clearly referred only to Israel

Reply by Apollos:

The question at hand is does the Hosea 11 statement have more than just a literal reading meaning. I have shown where is could and you simply said it doesn�t. If you ask a Jew of today what it means, they will undoubtedly say it refers only to Israel but they will also reject many of the conclusions of ancient Jews regarding passages that the Apostles of Jesus cited. Since the Apostles wrote to those ancient Jews, they are the ones you must cite to draw a conclusion about whether the Apostles interpreted TANACH passages correctly.

And let me repeat for the 3rd time now: even if there was a dual meaning in Hosea 11, and the chapter is talking about both Israel and the Messiah, then in the context of the entire chapter, the Messiah, like Israel, is criticized by God for sinning, for worshiping idols, etc.  How then can Christians insist that the chapter is also referring to the Messiah, who was supposedly sinless?  I don't know why you keep ignoring this important point.

Reply by Apollos:

I answered this before so please don�t say I keep ignoring this. I have plainly said that patterns and types are like analogies � they are not to be �fulfilled� in the same way that a predictive prophecy is. Matthew knew that the Jews had been taken out of Egypt so he would have to be an idiot to refer to the Peshat aspect of this verse. Clearly he was not an idiot for his writing reflects more than an idiot could accomplish. It therefore follows that Matthew was referring to the Remez and/or Derash aspect of Hosea 11 and one should not expect these to be fulfilled in the literal ways you claim.

"I would also like to clarify that you have misunderstood or miss-stated my comments about pre-Jesus Jewish thought. There was not complete consensus among Jews concerning TANACH during Jesus� day."

I agree.  I don't think there was consensus even before Jesus' time.  However, you would have to prove that one of the interpretations that did exist in those times revolves around the kind espoused by "Matthew"To do that, you would have to show primary sources from that time, Jewish ones, which support that claim.  In addition to that, you would have to prove somehow that that interpretation was the correct one.  Honestly, I don't know how you, a non-Jew, could do that. 

Reply by Apollos:

So why is it that I must prove Matthew�s interpretation is the correct one when you refuse to prove a contrary view based on the same type of sources?

Thus far, all you have done is interpret the text according to your own understanding, the Christian one.  And when you did cite sources (which you only did in your last post), they were always Christian sources.  That is disappointing, considering that you have been telling me to look at the text from the Jewish perspective, which I believe I have done.

Reply by Apollos:

It is true that I can prove Matthew�s interpretation correct by referring to the writings of other Jewish Christians and I have a disadvantage if you won�t accept anyone who claimed to be a Christian. But your criteria is subjective and illogical. If someone believed Matthew was accurate � here and elsewhere � they probably became Christians and you want to dismiss them. That�s handy. If they didn�t accept his general message about Jesus, they would have a vested interest in rejecting his interpretations even if previous Jews agreed with Matthew�s interpretations but you think these are the ones we should look to for the correct view.

As I mentioned previously, if the Jews of Matthew�s day believed as you think they did, his message would have been dismissed and rejected by every Jew that read or heard his account. In the Toledoth-Jesu and other anti-Jesus documents we would expect to find arguments against such references but we don�t. Instead, we know that many Jews accepted what he said and the idea that Matthew miss-quoted or miss-applied passages from the TANACH did not arise for many many years later. This means Matthew�s comments were in keeping with Jewish beliefs of his day or at least not contrary to Jewish beliefs of his day.

"Consider the Sadducees for example who did not believe in an after-life yet they claimed they believed in what TANACH said. So if we find a quote from a Sadducee on a passage in Hosea, should we treat that view as �the Jewish view�?"

So, do me and yourself a favor and show us the "true Jewish view".    

Reply by Apollos:

The true Jewish view is the one Jesus espoused. He corrected the Sadducees for example on the issue of the after-life and in this way endorsed what the Pharisees believed about this. He confounded them on the question of how the Messiah could be David�s son and David�s Lord at the same time. Jesus is the one who determines what the Jew should believe and all indications are that He instructed Matthew to write what he did about His early days.

"I think not. But even that type of Jew is a better example of the Jew Matthew was writing to in his account � than the modern day Jew that you want to quote. If you want to second-guess Matthew�s statements from a Jewish perspective, you should do so based on the Jews of his time not ours."

With all due respect, I think even a modern Jewish interpretation is better than a non-Jewish understanding, which is the only you have brought thus far.

Reply by Apollos:

Again you want to dismiss Jews who became Christians from the sources we have. To say Matthew, Paul, John and others were non-Jews is clearly wrong.

"And when you decide that the Jews of that day who rejected Jesus were automatically the true Jews, on what basis do you do this? Should we automatically consider those who rejected Mohammed�s message as the true believers?"

I never said that.  I merely said that the Christian appeal to Hosea 11 to justify the their beliefs was incorrect.  Can you show me any Jewish texts that time which explicitly state that Hosea 11 could be interpreted as referring to both Israel and the Messiah?  The Gospel of Matthew, a Christian text, seems to be the only text we know of that makes that claim. 

Reply by Apollos:

To my knowledge you may be correct. But that does not mean it is incorrect. As I have shown, I have not seen a contrary interpretation on this passage � from ancient Jews.

"One of the sources we have for early and pre-Jesus Jewish thought are Targums - ancient Aramaic translations, plus comments, of the Old Testament. The older the better but even those completed after the time of Jesus generally reflect pre-Jesus Jewish beliefs. (Some think Targum Jonathan on the Prophets is pre-Christian already). In using these sources, one can make the case that the Hosea passage and others were understood by Jewish sages the same as Matthew does."

Sounds great.  Now all you have to do is back your claim up with sources.  Which Jewish sages believed Hosea could have been a prophecy of the Messiah?  Josephus?  Philo? 

Reply by Apollos:

You apparently don�t know about the Targums. As I have said, the Targums are silent on this verse � to my knowledge. Josephus and Philo have nothing to do with them.

"Even without including Jewish Kabbalah � which many Jews hold to, it is clear that an orthodox Jewish reading of Torah includes more than simply Peshat. Do an internet search for the above words and you will confirm these things as well known Jewish interpretations of Torah."

This is all well and good. I am not contending any of this. I still fail to see how "Matthew" was right to use Hosea 11 as a reference to the Messiah. 

Reply by Apollos:

If you aren�t contending that there are 4 orthodox ways of interpreting the Torah including allegory, metaphor and mystery, why do you then say Matthew was not correct in using one of these approaches?

"In the Targum on Isaiah 9:5-6, the child is seen as the Messiah. It is generally agreed that the child of Isaiah 7:14 is the same child as Isaiah 9:5 and therefore not Hezekiah - or Hezekiah and the Messiah with dual meanings involved. The point is � when a prophet speaks of God saying �my son�, the ancient Jews immediately suspected a reference to the Messiah or a dual meaning including the Messiah. (There are many other examples but I am trying to be concise.)"

Where are your sources?  By whom is it "...agreed that the child of Isaiah 7:14 is the same child as Isaiah 9:5 and therefore not Hezekiah..."?  Where is it stated that when God said "my son", the ancient Jews knew he was referring to the Messiah?

Reply by Apollos:

In the Targums. There are numerous examples but I am not about to spend the time showing you something that you will simply dismiss.

"It is also likely that Matthew was quoting from a Targum in his statement because the specific wording is slightly different in the Greek than the Septuagint. I offer some references on this if you want to study the details. http://www.bsw.org/project/filologia/filo12/Art05n.html

http://www.bsw.org/project/filologia/filo12/Art05.html

http://www.xenos.org/ministries/crossroads/OnlineJournal/issue3/mtappa.htm"

Once again, a Christian source...Why is it so difficult to bring a Jewish source?  Every source you have referenced has echoed the same non-Jewish interpretation, and yet not once has a Jewish interpretation been offered.  I appreciate your efforts but you have failed to prove your point. 

Reply by Apollos:

I don�t believe some of the people who wrote the articles I referenced are Christians at all but what does it matter if they are? You seem to be saying that if a Christian quotes an ancient manuscript or passage, he has somehow made that reference invalid. The links I sent you to show facts and passages that anyone can confirm. That is why I provided them to you. If you think any of the facts they assert are not correct, please show this. Otherwise go ask a Jew to read the passages and statements on the section I referred to and see if they disagree.

"The Targum on Hosea does not elaborate on the meaning of the �son� in verse 11:1 but it does differ from the Septuagint translation which renders this �his children�. Matthew, the Masoretic Text and and the Targum on Hosea are all in agreement on the wording."

And this proves what?  Even if the son is both Israel and the Messiah, is it correct to come to the conclusion that like Israel, the Messiah would also sin against God?

Reply by Apollos:

It simply shows how Matthew was probably quoting from a Targum and not the Septuagint.

"When one considers that it is completely proper for a Jew to read a passage with different meanings in mind (see Wikipedia and other sources above), and that a reference to �God�s son� was typically viewed as Messianic (see references to Targum on Isaiah above), it is completely reasonable for Matthew to refer to Hosea 11:1 as he does. At a minimum, there is no contrary view on this passage in the Targums. The burden of proof is therefore on the one claiming Matthew is wrong."

No, the burden of proof would be on the person who initially made the claim that Hosea 11 was a prophecy about the Messiah (i.e. "Matthew")"Matthew" does not expound on how he came to that conclusion.  He did not say anything about a dual meaning.  The burden of proof is also on you to prove that Matthew's perspective was 1) the correct view and 2) a view shared by Jews of the time.  Thus far, you have failed, in my opinion, to prove your position. 

Reply by Apollos:

I have shown that Matthew may have been saying the same thing as some Jews of his day believed and since there is no contrary view on this verse, there is nothing to prove. It could have been a new interpretation as well but still in keeping with the 4 meanings of Torah study. The crux of the matter is whether Jesus was who Matthew said he was. If he wasn�t, who cares what Matthew says about Hosea 11? If Jesus was who Matthew said he was, Jesus undoubtedly told Matthew that this was a proper comment on Hosea. Since I believe Jesus is the supreme authority on what the correct interpretation of the TANACH is, I go with Matthew.

If you think this sounds circular in that we have to believe Matthew was being accurate about Jesus who in turn authorized Matthew to write about Him, you are forgetting that we have 3 or 4 other writers who say the same thing about Jesus giving Matthew this authority, so it is not circular. If one believes Jesus was who the NT writers say He was, or even that He might be who they said He was, it is easy to see how the correct understanding of Hosea can include analogy and pattern prophecy. If you want to presume that Jesus did not do and say the things the NT writers say of Him, then you will undoubtedly find what you already presumed � that Matthew wasn�t accurate in his writing about Jesus.

Apollos

islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 5:04pm

�Reply by Apollos:

The question at hand is does the Hosea 11 statement have more than just a literal reading meaning. I have shown where is could and you simply said it doesn�t. If you ask a Jew of today what it means, they will undoubtedly say it refers only to <st1:country-region w:st="on">Israel</st1:country-region> but they will also reject many of the conclusions of ancient Jews regarding passages that the Apostles of Jesus cited. Since the Apostles wrote to those ancient Jews, they are the ones you must cite to draw a conclusion about whether the Apostles interpreted TANACH passages correctly.�

As I said before, there is not one source from that time, apart from the Gospel of Matthew, which makes the claim that Hosea 11 was a prophecy about the Messiah.  That is ample evidence, I think, to refute your claim.  The burden of proof would be on you to prove that Hosea 11 was interpreted as a chapter with dual meanings.  Interestingly, I checked Justin Martyr�s �Dialog with Trypho� to check if he made a similar claim about Hosea 11.  Trypho, you may know, was a Jewish scholar and had taken part in a debate with Justin Martyr, which the latter wrote down.  It doesn�t appear that Trypho made any similar attempts to catalogue the debate, so we only have Justin Martyr�s point-of-view.  In Chapter 78, Justin Martyr mentions the story of Christ�s journey to Egypt and subsequent return.  He mentions the Magi, the plot by Herod (which ironically is not mentioned by other historians of the time) and the warning to Joseph and Mary to flee to Egypt.  The interesting part to note is that Justin Martyr makes no mention of a prophecy in Hosea concerning the exodus to Egypt.  He mentions the story as part of his efforts to prove to Trypho that Isaiah was prophesying about Christ (the very verses in Isaiah which you mentioned).  In addition, Justin Martyr paraphrases Trypho�s arguments regarding the prophecies in Isaiah.  I think Trypho�s argument refutes your claim and also shows exactly what you have been asking for as evidence for my claims, namely that the ancient Jews did not  believe there was anything allegorical with any of the prophecies in Isaiah, let alone Hosea.  Here is what Justin Martyr catalogues as Trypho�s main argument:

�Then Trypho said, �I admit that such and so great arguments are sufficient to persuade one; but I wish[you] to know that I ask you for the proof which you have frequently proposed to give me. Proceed then to make this plain to us, that we may see how you prove that that[passage] refers to this Christ of yours. For we assert that the prophecy relates to Hezekiah.��1

Here is the evidence you have been asking for.  I have shown you through the observations of a Christian no less what the Jews of the time believed about the prophecies in the Bible.  There is no mention of any dual meanings in Isaiah, let alone Hosea.  This is, interestingly enough, the same view espoused by modern Jews.

�Reply by Apollos:

I answered this before so please don�t say I keep ignoring this. I have plainly said that patterns and types are like analogies � they are not to be �fulfilled� in the same way that a predictive prophecy is. Matthew knew that the Jews had been taken out of <st1:country-region w:st="on">Egypt</st1:country-region> so he would have to be an idiot to refer to the Peshat aspect of this verse. Clearly he was not an idiot for his writing reflects more than an idiot could accomplish. It therefore follows that Matthew was referring to the Remez and/or Derash aspect of Hosea 11 and one should not expect these to be fulfilled in the literal ways you claim.�

So, what was the way in which the prophecy was supposed to be fulfilled?  I am having a hard time comprehending your premise.  If the �son� in Hosea 11:1 is both Israel and the Messiah, and if Israel is criticized for sinning against God, why then would the same interpretation not apply to the Messiah?  What is the interpretation, in your view, of the rest of the chapter?

�Reply by Apollos:

So why is it that I must prove Matthew�s interpretation is the correct one when you refuse to prove a contrary view based on the same type of sources?�

Because you maintain that Matthew�s interpretation is the correct one.  It is simple.  You made the claim, so now you must prove it. 

�Reply by Apollos:

It is true that I can prove Matthew�s interpretation correct by referring to the writings of other Jewish Christians and I have a disadvantage if you won�t accept anyone who claimed to be a Christian. But your criteria is subjective and illogical. If someone believed Matthew was accurate � here and elsewhere � they probably became Christians and you want to dismiss them. That�s handy. If they didn�t accept his general message about Jesus, they would have a vested interest in rejecting his interpretations even if previous Jews agreed with Matthew�s interpretations but you think these are the ones we should look to for the correct view.�

Trypho is an example which refutes your claim.  Your argument is itself illogical.  Just because some Jews did convert to Christianity, this somehow proves that Matthew�s interpretation was correct?  What about all those Jews who did not convert? 

�As I mentioned previously, if the Jews of Matthew�s day believed as you think they did, his message would have been dismissed and rejected by every Jew that read or heard his account. In the Toledoth-Jesu and other anti-Jesus documents we would expect to find arguments against such references but we don�t. Instead, we know that many Jews accepted what he said and the idea that Matthew miss-quoted or miss-applied passages from the TANACH did not arise for many many years later. This means Matthew�s comments were in keeping with Jewish beliefs of his day or at least not contrary to Jewish beliefs of his day.�

The Toledoth Yeshu was not composed until around the 6th century, at the earliest.2  So, it would not be a good example of what Jews believed in the 1st century.  Moreover, the Toledoth Yeshu was merely a satirical, albeit blasphemous, portrayal of Jesus, and was not concerned with proving that Jesus was a false Messiah.  It was merely concerned with reducing his character to a mere liar and false prophet. 

Trypho�s comments regarding the prophecies of Isaiah (and Justin Martyr�s silence on Hosea 11) do a better job at showing the Jewish attitude in the 1st century.

�Reply by Apollos:

The true Jewish view is the one Jesus espoused. He corrected the Sadducees for example on the issue of the after-life and in this way endorsed what the Pharisees believed about this. He confounded them on the question of how the Messiah could be David�s son and David�s Lord at the same time. Jesus is the one who determines what the Jew should believe and all indications are that He instructed Matthew to write what he did about His early days.�

Saul was also David�s �Lord� as stated in 1 Samuel 24:8.3  David even prostrated to Saul in a show of humility. 

Regarding what Jesus taught, this is yet again a circular argument.  When asked to prove what Matthew said regarding Jesus, you say that Jesus told him to say that.  Is this not circular reasoning?

�Reply by Apollos:

Again you want to dismiss Jews who became Christians from the sources we have. To say Matthew, Paul, John and others were non-Jews is clearly wrong.�

They clearly did not interpret the text in the traditional way, as I have shown. 

�Reply by Apollos:

To my knowledge you may be correct. But that does not mean it is incorrect. As I have shown, I have not seen a contrary interpretation on this passage � from ancient Jews.�

Even though I don�t think I had to show you that the ancient Jews did interpret the text in contradiction to Christians, I believe I have done that with the example of Trypho above.

Now, you would have to show examples from outside the New Testament which agree with Matthew�s interpretation of the Jewish texts.  That�s fair, right?

�Reply by Apollos:

You apparently don�t know about the Targums. As I have said, the Targums are silent on this verse � to my knowledge. Josephus and Philo have nothing to do with them.�

I have done brief research on the Targums.  Unfortunately, it seems that the majority of the material on the Web is from Christians.  That is pretty telling, I think. 

Since even the Targums are silent on the subject, is it not logical to conclude that there is no dual meaning in Hosea 11?

�Reply by Apollos:

If you aren�t contending that there are 4 orthodox ways of interpreting the Torah including allegory, metaphor and mystery, why do you then say Matthew was not correct in using one of these approaches?�

Because Matthew�s interpretation is the only one of its kind.  Never had the text been interpreted that way.  I demonstrated above that there is nothing in Hosea 11 which even closely resembles what Matthew was claiming.  Therefore, my conclusion is that he was wrong.  And if he was wrong, how could he have been a disciple of Jesus or under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit?

�Reply by Apollos:

In the Targums. There are numerous examples but I am not about to spend the time showing you something that you will simply dismiss.�

With all due respect once again, I have spent the time to list my sources, even though I know from the beginning that you will probably reject them.  I think you can give me the same treatment. 

�Reply by Apollos:

I don�t believe some of the people who wrote the articles I referenced are Christians at all but what does it matter if they are? You seem to be saying that if a Christian quotes an ancient manuscript or passage, he has somehow made that reference invalid. The links I sent you to show facts and passages that anyone can confirm. That is why I provided them to you. If you think any of the facts they assert are not correct, please show this. Otherwise go ask a Jew to read the passages and statements on the section I referred to and see if they disagree.�

Once again, you have been from the very start of this debate pushing me to give you the Jewish perspective.  Do you not think that you also need to follow the same guidelines?  It seems to me that you are now doing a complete 180 and changing your approach.  Before, the Jewish perspective was all-important.  Now, it seems, the Christian ones can suffice as well.  I don�t need to go ask a Jew if the information presented in those articles are legit, since I already showed that the Jews do not share the Christian interpretation of the Bible.  First, I gave you a modern Jewish perspective and now I have also given you the ancient Jewish perspective.  Both support my position.

�Reply by Apollos:

It simply shows how Matthew was probably quoting from a Targum and not the Septuagint.�

Probably?  Even if he was, you already said that the Targum are silent on the subject.  So, how could Matthew have taken the alleged dual meaning of Hosea 11 from the Targum? 

�Reply by Apollos:

I have shown that Matthew may have been saying the same thing as some Jews of his day believed and since there is no contrary view on this verse, there is nothing to prove. It could have been a new interpretation as well but still in keeping with the 4 meanings of Torah study. The crux of the matter is whether Jesus was who Matthew said he was. If he wasn�t, who cares what Matthew says about Hosea 11? If Jesus was who Matthew said he was, Jesus undoubtedly told Matthew that this was a proper comment on Hosea. Since I believe Jesus is the supreme authority on what the correct interpretation of the TANACH is, I go with Matthew.�

I am sorry to say that you have not proven anything.  I appreciate your effort, I really do, but nothing you have said or shown has supported Matthew�s claim that the Messiah�s alleged exodus to Egypt and subsequent return was prophesied in Hosea 11.  What you have just said, especially the last part, is nothing but circular reasoning. 

�If you think this sounds circular in that we have to believe Matthew was being accurate about Jesus who in turn authorized Matthew to write about Him, you are forgetting that we have 3 or 4 other writers who say the same thing about Jesus giving Matthew this authority, so it is not circular. If one believes Jesus was who the NT writers say He was, or even that He might be who they said He was, it is easy to see how the correct understanding of Hosea can include analogy and pattern prophecy. If you want to presume that Jesus did not do and say the things the NT writers say of Him, then you will undoubtedly find what you already presumed � that Matthew wasn�t accurate in his writing about Jesus.�

You are wrong.  None of the other Gospel writers mention anything about a trip to Egypt.  Nor do they mention the drama of the Magi or Herod�s plot against the Messiah as well as his decree to murder all children 2 and younger.  And they certainly did not mention anything about a prophecy in Hosea 11.  Matthew is the only one, even in the Christian Bible, to make those claims.

Edited by islamispeace - 25 May 2009 at 5:08pm
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2009 at 6:16am
This is simply mentoning GOD's leading Israel and then Jesus out of Eygpt, harm's way.  No more of Hosea 11, it ends with verse 1.

Matthew 2
15And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son.

Hosea 11
1 "When Israel was a child, I loved him,
       and out of Egypt I called my son.
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2009 at 6:32am

Paul -

Colossians 2

16Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

17Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Jesus speaking-

Matthew 15

10And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand:

11Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

The Paul and Jesus are saying very much the same thing.  It is what is in your heart that matters the most.

And why not, Jesus came to Paul and revealed to Him the truth on the road to Damascus.
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Apollos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apollos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2009 at 9:42am

Islamispeace -

Your citing of Trypho only proves that the Hosea 11 passage was not addressed. It leaves you therefore with an argument from silence not a refutation of my argument.

You are also arguing that if Matthew was unique in his interpretation, that automatically makes him wrong. As I have pointed out, there are various areas of TANACH that the Jews were incorrect on as far as Jesus was concerned. Divorce for example is one where everyone � including the disciples � needed to be corrected by Jesus on. So even if Matthew was unique in his interpretation of Hosea 11, it does not equate to him being wrong.

I think you are missing my initial challenge to your comments on Matthew and Hosea. I said and continue to say that the different views Jews took when studying Torah includes patterns, allegories, analogies, etc. Therefore when you presume that Matthew intended �fulfillment� to be the literal prediction-fulfillment of Hosea 11, you are missing the Jewish context. Even if Matthew was wrong in appealing to Hosea 11 as he did, he would have to be wrong on the dual or pattern aspect he intended. For the reader to do as you initially did � thinking he was appealing to the literal (Peshat) meaning of the passage � that is wrong.

You claim that I am changing my argument but it is you who have changed yours. You initially claimed Matthew was referring to a literal prediction-fulfillment of Hosea 11. I gave you reasons why this is a na�ve and incorrect reading of Matthew based on Jewish perspectives. You then admit that analogies, metaphors, types, etc. are valid ways Jews have and continue to interpret Torah but you argue that Matthew was not justified in interpreting Hosea 11 this way. Your argument has changed so my response has changed.

I did not say � as you assert � that other writer�s confirm Matthew�s interpretation of Hosea 11. I said clearly: �that we have 3 or 4 other writers who say the same thing about Jesus giving Matthew this authority�. That is an important factor if Matthew is presenting something unique.

I admit that without appealing to Matthew�s authority or information from Jesus, it is not likely that one can confirm that his interpretation of Hosea 11 is correct. But neither can one refute his claim. To do that we would have to have contrary Jewish views from his time and we would have to know that those contrary views were the correct ones. You haven�t provided any evidence of this and I don�t see how anyone could.

You apparently think this is an important issue but I do not. The reason is � I view Matthew�s writing as a solid historical account about Jesus. It could have errors in it like the one you claim and it would still be a good historical account of Jesus. In fact, whatever Matthew intended by appealing to Hosea 11, we can conclude that Jesus must have been in Egypt as a young child. If Matthew was concocting �prophecies� it wouldn�t be about fictitious events in Jesus life, would it? It would be about well known events that he was trying to legitimize. So every odd or questionable reference Matthew makes to TANACH is a strong indication that the corresponding event in Jesus� life was an actual historical one. Even if Jesus did not fulfill any of the prophecies Matthew attributes to Him, we can have confidence that Matthew is telling us what Jesus really did and said. And the things Jesus said and did are very important.

Apollos

Edited by Apollos - 27 May 2009 at 10:23am
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 3:04pm
Believer,

The verse makes no mention of the Messiah.  This is simply your own interpolation.  And, no, Hosea 11 does not end with verse 1.  In fact, it goes on for another 11 verses!  This is typical Christian picking and choosing of verses. 

Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 3:47pm
Response to Apollos:

"Islamispeace -
Your citing of Trypho only proves that the Hosea 11 passage was not addressed. It leaves you therefore with an argument from silence not a refutation of my argument."

No, it shows that the reason it was not addressed was because there was nothing to address.  It shows that the Gospel of Matthew is alone, even in early Christian theology, in trying to establish a link between Hosea 11 and the Messiah's alleged return from Egypt.

Justin Martyr specifically mentions the exodus to Egypt and Herod's plot.  But, he clearly did not see that as having any link, whether literal or allegorical, with Hosea 11.

Furthermore, you completely ignored the point I made about how Trypho, a Jew, makes no mention of any allegorical meanings in Isaiah!  According to his religious opinion, which I think has more weight than Christian opinions regarding the Old Testament, the verses in Isaiah were always interpreted as applying to Hezekiah.  Therefore, the argument that there was some allegorical meaning is mute. 

"
I think you are missing my initial challenge to your comments on Matthew and Hosea. I said and continue to say that the different views Jews took when studying Torah includes patterns, allegories, analogies, etc. Therefore when you presume that Matthew intended �fulfillment� to be the literal prediction-fulfillment of Hosea 11, you are missing the Jewish context. Even if Matthew was wrong in appealing to Hosea 11 as he did, he would have to be wrong on the dual or pattern aspect he intended. For the reader to do as you initially did � thinking he was appealing to the literal (Peshat) meaning of the passage � that is wrong."

You have failed to prove that he was doing anything else!  He certainly doesn't say how he established a link between the two stories.  All you have been saying that is he "could" have been doing that!  Your entire position is based on conjecture.  Matthew "could have..." or "probably was..." are not good arguments.  On the other hand, I have shown you why I think my premise is right and that Matthew was wrong in his interpretation.  Your response to my points has been to ignore the information presented.

"
You claim that I am changing my argument but it is you who have changed yours. You initially claimed Matthew was referring to a literal prediction-fulfillment of Hosea 11. I gave you reasons why this is a na�ve and incorrect reading of Matthew based on Jewish perspectives. You then admit that analogies, metaphors, types, etc. are valid ways Jews have and continue to interpret Torah but you argue that Matthew was not justified in interpreting Hosea 11 this way. Your argument has changed so my response has changed."

I don't think my argument has changed.  My initial argument was that from the Jewish perspective, Matthew's appeal to Hosea was wrong.  I showed you the Jewish perspective to prove that I was right.  I did not contend your claim that Jews can and do interpret the text in allegorical ways, because that is irrelevant.  I have no reason to contend that.  What I posited was that Jews do not interpret Hosea 11 in an allegorical way.  To support that position, I showed you a modern Jewish perspective, and when you asked for it, the ancient Jewish perspective as well.  Yet you, although not surprisingly, rejected the evidence presented and claimed that the Christian interpretation is just as good, hence your presentation of 100% Christian material.  Not once have you presented Jewish literature to support your position, even though ironically you have been going on and on about the importance of looking at the Jewish perspective!  If you want to contend that there was more than one way that Jews interpreted the text of Hosea 11, then you must prove that.  Just saying "well, I have shown that Jews read the text in other ways other than Peshat" is not a valid argument.

"
I did not say � as you assert � that other writer�s confirm Matthew�s interpretation of Hosea 11. I said clearly: �that we have 3 or 4 other writers who say the same thing about Jesus giving Matthew this authority�. That is an important factor if Matthew is presenting something unique."

Well, that is the problem isn't it?  I am merely concerned with why Matthew claimed that Hosea 11 prophesied about the Messiah.  When you brought up the other Gospel writers, I responded appropriately that none of them mentions anything similar.  No Magi, no plot from Herod, no warning to Joseph and Mary, no exodus to Egypt and hence no return from Egypt.  Put that all together, and there is no appeal to Hosea 11.  That was my point.  I am not concerned with their other claims regarding Jesus, because that is not the topic of this thread.  If you want to discuss that, please open another thread.  Otherwise, your appeal to the other Gospel writers is nothing more than a red herring.

"
I admit that without appealing to Matthew�s authority or information from Jesus, it is not likely that one can confirm that his interpretation of Hosea 11 is correct. But neither can one refute his claim."

I just did refute his claim!  I have done it several times!  I showed that his interpretation was in complete contradiction to the traditional Jewish interpretation!  If that is not evidence, then I don't know what is!  If you want to contend that there was more than one way that Jews interpreted the text in Hosea 11, present the historical evidence.  Show me where and when a group of Jews saw in Hosea 11 an allegorical reference to the Messiah.  If you can't prove that, which thus far you have not, then your position is without evidence, and hence questionable.

"
To do that we would have to have contrary Jewish views from his time and we would have to know that those contrary views were the correct ones. You haven�t provided any evidence of this and I don�t see how anyone could."

If you ignore the evidence, then of course I haven't provided any evidence.  I showed you a 2nd century Jewish opinion and a modern one as well.  Both, ironically, agree with each other.  What more do you want?  All you have been doing to support your claims is playing the "probably" game.

"
You apparently think this is an important issue but I do not."

Well, of course I do.  If we are supposed to base our salvation on this person's claims, and we are shown that this person has made a completely contradictory claim to history, then would it make sense to follow this person?  Of course not. 

"The reason is � I view Matthew�s writing as a solid historical account about Jesus. It could have errors in it like the one you claim and it would still be a good historical account of Jesus."

If it did have errors in it, and it certainly does, than it is not worth following.  Moreover, if it does have errors, then out the window goes the claim that the writer was "inspired" by the Holy Spirit, because why woudl the Holy Spirit give the writer false information?

"In fact, whatever Matthew intended by appealing to Hosea 11, we can conclude that Jesus must have been in Egypt as a young child."

You can conclude that, but I and many others don't.  I think the story was concocted to give credence to the claim that Jesus was God's son.  There is no historical evidence that anything of the sort claimed by Matthew ever happened; no evidence of a massacre of children 2 and younger and no evidence of wise men from the East meeting with Herod to find and worship the Messiah.

"If Matthew was concocting �prophecies� it wouldn�t be about fictitious events in Jesus life, would it? It would be about well known events that he was trying to legitimize."

Why not?  Stories have a tendency to get around quickly and become legends in a short amount of time.  How do you think the pagan myths took hold?  They were fictitious events right?  Or did Zeus actually impregnate Semele, as claimed by Greek mythology?  Or did Vespasian actually heal two Romans with the power of Serapis, as claimed by Tacitus? 

"So every odd or questionable reference Matthew makes to TANACH is a strong indication that the corresponding event in Jesus� life was an actual historical one. Even if Jesus did not fulfill any of the prophecies Matthew attributes to Him, we can have confidence that Matthew is telling us what Jesus really did and said. And the things Jesus said and did are very important."

If "Matthew" makes false claims, then his claims are not worth followingBasing your salvation on such a source is dangerous, in my opinion.  But, you are entitled to yours. 

Edited by islamispeace - 27 May 2009 at 3:53pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
  Share Topic