IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Islamic values and Western 'culture'  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Islamic values and Western 'culture'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2009 at 5:07am
Oh, thanks a lot for choosing to say nothing because you have nothing sensible to say.

Hmm that is your opinion... she has lots to say that is sensible... now you on the other hand... well... considering you've never been here.. its like I keep my mouth shut when discussing India much, never been there, can go on what I read, but how accurate is  anything anymore.. you of course, know about everyone.. all over the world..  like discussing African - Americans... how many do you know?? Now many African- Amricans are 'illiterate' and would be the first to tell you how AIDS is transmitted.. they are not dumb people.  UGGH  You are operating in stereotpes abound...
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
candid_new View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candid_new Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2009 at 8:00am
So, you won't believe the Pyramids exist unless you personally visit them?

Edited by candid_new - 21 March 2009 at 8:01am
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2009 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

Oh, thanks a lot for choosing to say nothing because you have nothing sensible to say.

Hmm that is your opinion... she has lots to say that is sensible... now you on the other hand... well... considering you've never been here.. its like I keep my mouth shut when discussing India much, never been there, can go on what I read, but how accurate is  anything anymore.. you of course, know about everyone.. all over the world..  like discussing African - Americans... how many do you know?? Now many African- Amricans are 'illiterate' and would be the first to tell you how AIDS is transmitted.. they are not dumb people.  UGGH  You are operating in stereotpes abound...

Hug
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2009 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by candid_new candid_new wrote:

So, you won't believe the Pyramids exist unless you personally visit them?

I can say that I know the pyramids exist, but I can't say that I know each and every tunnel, brick, or artifact unless I have personally visited them and spent many hours exploring.  

I know rich Muslims exist but I can't say they are decadent and immoral because I don't know each and every rich Muslim.

I know that African-Americans exist but I can't say that they are illiterate because I personally do not know each and every one of them.

I know that illiterate people exist but I cannot say that they are all filthy and dirty because I don't know each and every one of them.

And those that I do know from each of these groups, and others you mentioned, are not the stereotypes you labeled/libeled them to be.
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2009 at 5:43pm
I can believe things exist, but i cannot comment on them in the same way. For instance, I talk more about my experiences from Pakistan as I have been there 3 times. I speak little of African Muslims and their culture. I can read about it, but it is nowhere the same.
I was just as the masjid in DC this afternoon and the people there were 95% African American. And I don't assume that they are less educated than I. That is living by stereotypes THAT ARE NOT ALWAYS ACCURATE.  We as Muslims need and should work to eliminate these ideas from our minds.  We cannot improve the Ummah if we only see people in false categorized groups and not just Muslims.
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2009 at 6:15am
Candid_New . . . . If I may be candid:

I have been reading this thread from an objective point of view - and sorry, you sound really ignorant and foolish . . . not to mention close-sighted and . . . . fish-in-a-pondish.

Seriously!!! Illetracy does not equate with bad hygiene! You DO realise that good muslims can be perfectly illetrate - yet  perfectly hygenic!!??!! So can nonmuslims!!!

Also, education or the ability to read and write - does NOT make you hygenic! Its a matter of upbringing and personal taste. Well educated ppl can have bad hygiene too.

Perhaps you are confusing hygiene with poverty? (lack of proper toilets, drainage, toothpaste affordability?)

And perhaps you should be careful with stereotyping, it simply CONFIRMS the stereotype that nonmuslims have of us muslims i.e. close-minded ppl. As a muslim, it is your moral obligation to behave in a nice manner that befits/represents Islam.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Akhe Abdullah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akhe Abdullah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2009 at 10:07am
As Salamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatu.Islamic Values and Western 'culture'.I personally never experienced any other cultures first hand as far as traveling to another country.Living in America I always try (Inshallah)to incorperate Islamic Values into my everyday life.The only way I realy know what Islamic values are is by following the examples of the life of Prophet Muhammed(Saw).
candid_new View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candid_new Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

Candid_New . . . . If I may be candid:

I have been reading this thread from an objective point of view - and sorry, you sound really ignorant and foolish . . . not to mention close-sighted and . . . . fish-in-a-pondish.

I am willing to be instructed. I can't be wrong just because people don't agree with me.
Seriously!!! Illetracy does not equate with bad hygiene! You DO realise that good muslims can be perfectly illetrate - yet� perfectly hygenic!!??!! So can nonmuslims!!!

Also, education or the ability to read and write - does NOT make you hygenic! Its a matter of upbringing and personal taste. Well educated ppl can have bad hygiene too.

Perhaps you are confusing hygiene with poverty? (lack of proper toilets, drainage, toothpaste affordability?)

Illiteracy and poverty are closely interrelated. However, we should not confuse between the two. A poor educated person usually maintains a better hygiene than a well-off
illiterate person. And not everyone is a Prophet, by the way.
Fyi...
http://www.unilever.com/Images/es_Lifebuoy_promotes_handwashing_tcm181-13301.pdf

And perhaps you should be careful with stereotyping, it simply CONFIRMS the stereotype that nonmuslims have of us muslims i.e. close-minded ppl. As a muslim, it is your moral obligation to behave in a nice manner that befits/represents Islam.

That sounds silly. If you say it confirms the stereotype, it also implies that you claim it is true. You are stereotyping, too. You are responsible for same flaw you you are accusing me of.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic