IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Islamic values and Western 'culture'  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Islamic values and Western 'culture'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2009 at 8:53pm
Burj Al Arab
The%20Burj%20Al%20Arab%20is%20the%20worlds%20second%20tallest%20hotel.
The Burj Al Arab is the world's second tallest hotel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burj_Al_Arab

abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2009 at 9:00pm

Lamborghini flown from Qatar to London and back... for an oil change

by Jeremy Korzeniewski on Jul 31st 2008 at 7:04PM

In a virtual slap to the face of eco-friendly drivers worldwide, a wealthy Sheikh went to the trouble of shipping his oddly-hued Lamborghini from Qatar to London and back... for an oil change. That is 3,250 miles each way, or about the total distance likely traveled between oil changes in the first place. It's bad enough that the Lambo LP640 is a high carbon-emitter in the first place, but this act truly shows utter disregard for the environment. The shipping companies seemed to agree, with an airport worker saying, "This car doesn't have a carbon footprint � more of a crater." A London-Heathrow cargo handler added, "It would have been far more efficient to fly mechanics out there."
Duende View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 5:06am
So has anybody figured out yet what this so-called Western 'culture' is?

Seems we're all falling, nay, gleefully jumping HEADLONG into the imperialist creation/concept of the Clash of Civilisations, or the non-argument of West Versus East.

The happy slapping on of labels ensures we continue blindly on, tripping over our morals and sweeping aside the universal values of humanity in a race to discredit and unfavourably compare the 'other'.

The very premise of the thread is flawed. You can not juxtapose Islamic values with Western 'culture'. It's like comparing a bicycle to a plane. Try again, only this time, try discussing the differences between Islamic values, and those upheld by the likes of Bush/Blair etc., who believe 'they hate our values'.

Please define the values cherished by (for the sake of argument) the American general public, and compare them with the values cherished by the general populace of Morrocco, or Pakistan, as examples of Islamic states. It will quickly become obvious that no matter what your religious beliefs, you cherish the ability to provide safety and shelter to your family, the ability to provide them with nourishment and comfort, and a few enhancements, such as the freedom to enjoy a walk in the park or to listen to music.

The Western decadence, the sinking into the Dantesque level of hell so much of this post-modern existence displays, has nothing whatsoever to do with religion, values or culture, and is far from limited to non-Muslim societies (witness the photos above), it has everything to do with the collective selling of our souls which has been encouraged and promoted, if not in writing, then more powerfully by example.

Still, looks like we'll be forced to take a long hard look in the mirror right about now.
Akhe Abdullah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akhe Abdullah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 6:25am
As Salamu Alaikum Brothers and Sisters,I can only comment on American Culture I have never stayed in any another country.I can say that when I was growing up they maid us pledge an aligence to the flag of the United States of America.An in this pledge is a verse "one nation under God indivisible with liberty a justices for all".They say this but, wont allow you to pray in public schools because there is a speration between Church/Religion and State.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 9:29am
oh you could pray in school just not out loud.. lol
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by candid_new candid_new wrote:

Originally posted by Shasta'sAunt Shasta'sAunt wrote:

Higher education is important but it should not be at the cost of primary education of the masses. Primary education is important for reforming the society. Technological advancement is ineffective without social progress.

So when everyone is a high school graduate but there are no doctors or scientists society will progress?

You have comprehension problem, it seems. I suggest you re read what I posted. I said higher education is important, but primary education is more important than higher education. I meant if nearly all the educated people of the country are doctors and engineers, but the literacy rate is low and the masses are ignorant and poor, the country still can't make significant progress.

The illiterate masses will be healthy and have a good infrastracture, something which the countries, especially the U.S., which seem to focus on primary education lack.
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2009 at 12:47am
People living in a Muslim culture are in a comfort zone - thinking they are better of ...

In reality challenges in muslim as well as non-muslim societies are different, though it is hard to argue weather they are fewer within muslim dominated societies.

To name a few -
Media and entertainment is so common in muslim societies as well - at least in India the television and cinema are both awful - which hardly anyone is avoiding ...
Music is not allowed in Islam, but it can is common in many-many muslim homes.
Gossip and talebearing is a grave sin, but its common - very common - so much that its a big challenge for someone who wants to keep out of it.
Gluttony - Don't tell me those who have plenty don't overfeed themselves or don't waste.

If they are not showing their flesh does not mean they are not looking ... and why are not all muslim women covered - willingly, when they are living within their own culture - one can find women arguing endlessly how unnecessary or cultural, but not islamically obligatory is the hijab.

Not all muslims are praying five times a day - and this is extremely sad about muslims dominated societies.

Muslims are not doing business with honesty.

Thsese are just a few that come to my mind, but there are many more I beleive, .... all these drawbacks are not seen on individual levels but on a social level.

Being westernised is a problem, but its not the only problem that challenges a muslim - neither do I see it as a lot bigger than other challenges.
To think one's faith is safe if they are not westernised, is just and image of safety - that is all.

On the otherhand if one wants to practice islam, there is no place where one cannot. It all depends on ones conviction and faith.  I think one can become a better muslim when there are challenges because they have to take an active stand in maintaining their faith.
When one is in a company of five muslim friends who don't observe prayers on time, its harder to get up and pray rather than when one is with five non-muslim friends - I think.

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
candid_new View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candid_new Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2009 at 9:58am

Higher education is important but it should not be at the cost of primary education of the masses. Primary education is important for reforming the society. Technological advancement is ineffective without social progress.

So when everyone is a high school graduate but there are no doctors or scientists society will progress?

You have comprehension problem, it seems. I suggest you re read what I posted. I said higher education is important, but primary education is more important than higher education. I meant if nearly all the educated people of the country are doctors and engineers, but the literacy rate is low and the masses are ignorant and poor, the country still can't make significant progress.

The illiterate�masses will be healthy and have a good infrastracture, something which the countries, especially the U.S., which seem to focus on primary education lack.

Don't be silly. If the people are illiterate they won't know how to maintain hygiene, therefore they will have greater health problems. What's the point in having good infrastructure if there are not enough skilled workers that can be employed in the factories.

Edited by candid_new - 17 March 2009 at 9:59am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
  Share Topic