IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Islamic values and Western 'culture'  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Islamic values and Western 'culture'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2009 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by candid_new candid_new wrote:

Higher education is important but it should not be at the cost of primary education of the masses. Primary education is important for reforming the society. Technological advancement is ineffective without social progress.

So when everyone is a high school graduate but there are no doctors or scientists society will progress?

�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
candid_new View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candid_new Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2009 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Shasta'sAunt Shasta'sAunt wrote:

Higher education is important but it should not be at the cost of primary education of the masses. Primary education is important for reforming the society. Technological advancement is ineffective without social progress.

So when everyone is a high school graduate but there are no doctors or scientists society will progress?

You have comprehension problem, it seems. I suggest you re read what I posted. I said higher education is important, but primary education is more important than higher education. I meant if nearly all the educated people of the country are doctors and engineers, but the literacy rate is low and the masses are ignorant and poor, the country still can't make significant progress.

Edited by candid_new - 14 March 2009 at 8:27pm
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2009 at 3:43am

Originally posted by Shasta'sAunt Shasta'sAunt wrote:

You have comprehension problem, it seems. I suggest you re read what I posted. I said higher education is important, but primary education is more important than higher education. I meant if nearly all the educated people of the country are doctors and engineers, but the literacy rate is low and the masses are ignorant and poor, the country still can't make significant progress.

Thats not neccassarily true. There is no such primary vs higher education formula. You cannot put one up against the other.

India - does not have literacy of the masses - yet has a significant higher educated class, and despite its many faults, seems to be developing.

Phillipines - where the majority are literate, does not seem to be developing/improving like it should.

It also cannot be guaranteed that education will neccassarily eradicate poverty and ignorance.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2009 at 1:12pm

I would recommend Muslims who live in West not to adopt Western culture also because it is overly materialistic.

True, but then Muslim culture is underly materialistic (which is probably why Muslim countries do not have strong economies).  I would recommend that each culture try to learn from the others.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2009 at 1:50pm

And take the good from every culture and leave out the bad.

'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2009 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

[QUOTE=candid_new] 
True, but then Muslim culture is underly materialistic (which is probably why Muslim countries do not have strong economies).  I would recommend that each culture try to learn from the others.

Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2009 at 3:44pm
WOW!!! What a beauty! .....got to lower my gaze....she's way off my league :-(

'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2009 at 7:41pm
LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic