IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What is Ihsan? Let's discuss....  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is Ihsan? Let's discuss....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2009 at 6:55am
Originally posted by abosait abosait wrote:

Really strange. Allah has given us brains to use and understand things.

Let me explain in your language.
  • Who owned the CPU?
  • Sister Nur of course.
  • And Sister Nur is outside and not inside the CPU.

If Sister Nur is outside it, what is the Electricity doing inside the CPU?

[QUOTE=Nur_Ilahi]
  • What is a CPU without electricity?
  • What is our physical body without our Ruh?

Abosait,

When Allah said 'KUN' - 'FAYAKUN! - In other words everything were created with His Command Kun! Every single atom was created by Him. Everything belongs to Him. Every corner, every part of space is filled with His presence. Whether it is inside, or outside, we are swimming in His Essence. Like the fish swimming in the water, it is covered by God's Rahmah/Mercy without the fish knowing it. Can the fish escape from the water without dying? Can it?

This is why we need to increase our ability to 'see' things not only with our physical eyes but also with our 'spiritual eye'.

If you cannot understand from where your Ruh comes from, to whom it belongs to, and what is its function in your body, it is such a sad thing. It is as if you are living like a zombie.

I know that there are some so-called Sufi Master who were errant and bring bad names to Sufism  but of course there are True Ones, Dedicated Servants of Allah whose niyah or intention is - ILAHI ANTA MAKSUDI WAREDHAKA MATLUBI, A'THINI MAHABBATAK WAMA'RIFATAKA.

Imam Ghazali, Ibn Khaldun, Ibn Sinna, Abdul Qadir Jailani to name a few were great sufis. Either you deny this fact or you do not know that they were.

Edited by Nur_Ilahi - 20 April 2009 at 7:03am
Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2009 at 7:06am
The Human Soul
Adapted from Rawdzatu at Talibin Imam Ghaz�l� 
Shaykh Tosun Bayrak

Allah Most High says in the Holy Qur�an (15:26-29) that when He created man from black mud and fashioned him into the beautiful shape of a human being, and made him complete, HE BREATHED INTO MAN HIS SOUL FROM HIS OWN SOUL.

That is what makes us His best creation, a whole universe, a microcosm containing all of creation, almost a divinity, BUT MORTAL, although we are blessed with something within us which is immortal, eternal. But can we identify the "soul"? Can we touch it, see it, feel it? Where is it within us? What does it do to us?

We find an excuse for claiming not to understand the soul. We are told by Allah Most High Himself, addressing His most loved creation, our Master, (saws), that if they (we) ask him about the soul to tell us that "the soul is under the command of our Lord and of its knowledge we are given but little�" (17:85)

But our soul is our only connection with our Lord, which came from Him and which will return to Him. And we are told, "He who knows himself (his soul) knows his Lord." So we must seek. We must understand even if "we are given of this knowledge but little."

Did our Creator make our father Adam (a.s.) out of a "sounding clay of black mud" like a jug, and then pour his soul into that clay? Was Adam (a.s.) a container and the soul what he contained? That analogy does not work, because the flesh is created and the divine soul is not. Besides, the sons and the daughters of Adam (a.s.) are made from nutfa, the human embryonic cell in our mothers� belly which grows, changes shape, ages, shrivels and disintegrates! Also, we are told that the Divine Spirit in each of us is a "Whole" indivisible. How can it be chopped into pieces, with a small portion placed into each human being?

The ones who know say that the existence of the soul in a created being necessitates the existence of a capacity, a receptivity in that being. Without this "receptivity" to accept the soul, we could not have it. The soul is a light. And the receptivity, the ability to be lighted, enlightened with the human soul, is likened to a wick in an oil lamp. The oil lamp is the body, a manifestation of the Divine Attributes ya Khaliq, ya Bari, ya Musawwir: the Creator, the Maker, the Shaper. The oil is life, a gift and manifestation of the Divine Attribute ya Hayy, the Ever-living. In the whole of creation,the wick is a unique gift, given only to the human being: Aql, intelligence, a manifestation of the Divine Attributes of ya Nur, the Light, and ya Alim, the Knower.

To light this lamp of the human being, the wick must have the capacity to absorb the oil of the experiences and the mysteries of life. Human intelligence must absorb knowledge. Otherwise, it ca not catch fire.

When Allah Most High says Nafahtu, "I blow into him", it is as if His ever-existing Nur, the Divine Light, touches the receptive human intelligence, and lights the light of the human soul. Intelligence which does not understand, which does not know, does not have the capacity to receive the eternal soul. That is why our master, the Beloved of Allah (saws) says, "He who does not have intelligence does not have faith or religion."

The soul is not contained within us like water in a cup, or like knowledge which enters our memory or mind. It is more like sunlight reflected on a window at sunset, or an image reflected in a mirror. But if the mirror is dirty, nothing will show in it.

How does the soul�s light manifest itself in us? It is that which makes us see, hear, and smell, but not the usual way we sense things. The enlightenment of the soul should make us see true reality, even make us see our Lord, in the way of Hd. Ali (r.a.) who said, "I do not worship a God whom I do not see." And indeed he worshiped him intensely. Or like Hd. Omar (r.a.) who saw, from Medina, the Muslim armies in danger of being surrounded all the way in Persia and shouted "Pull back to the mountain!" and was heard. Or like the blessed companions of the Prophet (saws) who used to hear rocks and plants saluting the Beloved of Allah (saws). And like the Messenger of Allah himself (saws), who smelled the perfume of Hd. Uways al Karani (r.a.) long after he had returned home and said, "I smell the presence of a friend." And who furthermore looked into the eyes of Hd. Aisha (r.a.), who had seen Uways, and saw him in her eyes.

If we have a soul, we should be able to know ourselves, and in this knowledge know our Lord.

As in the analogy of the oil lamp, when the oil of life is used up, the light of the soul goes out. When the soul leaves the body, where does it go? It returns to where it always was.

Heraclitus, an ambassador from Byzantium, asked the Messenger of Allah (saws), "Where is your paradise, your hell, if not in the world or in the skies?" The Beloved of Allah (saws) responded, "Fe Subhan Allah! Mercy! Where is the day when the night comes?"

Allah knows best.

http://www.crescentlife.com/spirituality/human_soul.htm

Edited by Nur_Ilahi - 20 April 2009 at 7:13am
Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
abosait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abosait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2009 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Nur_Ilahi Nur_Ilahi wrote:

Allah Most High says in the Holy Qur�an (15:26-29) .........

Noor, plese read for yourelf two of the Verses under reference and the translation of their meanings as understood by the Sahaba and passed on to us through scholars.

وَإِذْ قَالَ رَبُّكَ لِلْمَلاَئِكَةِ إِنِّي خَالِقٌ بَشَرًا مِّن صَلْصَالٍ مِّنْ حَمَإٍ مَّسْنُونٍ (15:28)

فَإِذَا سَوَّيْتُهُ وَنَفَخْتُ فِيهِ مِن رُّوحِي فَقَعُواْ لَهُ سَاجِدِينَ (15:29)

(28. And (remember) when your Lord said to the angels: "I am going to create a man (Adam) from dried (sounding) clay of altered mud. '')

(29. "So, when I have fashioned him completely and breathed into him (Adam) of My spirit (the soul which I created for him,) then fall down, prostrating yourselves before him.'')

God's "breathing of His spirit" into man is obviously a metaphor for His endowing him with life and consciousness: that is, with a soul..

• But can we identify the "soul"?
  • Can we touch it, see it, feel it?
  • Where is it within us?
  • What does it do to us?

• The Qur'aan and Sunnah give us only a limited knowledge concerning the soul. From it we can say that the Arabic words 'Ruh' and 'Nafs' are both used, sometimes interchangeably, for the soul. Imam Ibn Al-Qayyim wrote in his scholarly work ?Kitab al Ruh?,

Ruh is an entity which differs totally from the physical body.
  • It is a subtle, ecclesiastical, enlightened living and moving body which penetrates into the depths of the organs and flows into them like the water in the rose or the oil in the olive or the fire in the coal.
  • As long as these organs remain able to accept the impressions of this subtle body, the 'Ruh' remains attached to these organs and provides them with feeling and movement.
  • But when these organs are spoiled because of the dominance of diseased elements upon it, and they are no longer able to accept the impressions of the soul, it leaves the body and heads towards the world of the souls.

There is some difference in the way the words 'Ruh' and 'Nafs' are used. The 'Ruh' is the subtle spirit which resides in the heavens and needs a physical body to carry it on the earth. When this spirit is given a body, life begins and it is described as 'Nafs'. The word 'Nafs' is used in a number of ways by the Qur'aan, all of which imply the meaning of a soul with a body.

The soul ................ It is more like sunlight reflected on a window at sunset, or an image reflected in a mirror. But if the mirror is dirty, nothing will show in it.

That is another Sufi fabrication.

As I told you earlier
Sufism (tasawwuf) is a blend of various thoughts and philosophies. By intermingling a few traces of Islamic teachings with it, the Sufi thinkers attempted to sanctify their doctrines and demonstrate its conformity to Islam

Greek philosophy, and in particular the teachings of Neo-Platonists, have left an indelible mark on many aspects of Sufism. This came about as a result of the translation of Greek philosophical works into Arabic during the third Islamic century. Greek pantheism became an integral part of Sufi doctrine.

Manicheanism is also one of the mainstreams of Sufism. N. Fatemi observed: "It is interesting how near to Manichean ideas the Sufis are, remembering that both Manicheanism and Sufism were nurtured in Persia.

Vedanta, the chief Hindu philosophy, which is an example of pantheism in its metaphysical strictness, also had a great impact on Sufism following the conquest of Sindh by Muhammad b. Qasim in the second century A.H.
The Jews asked Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihe wa-sallam) about the soul and in reply the Qur'aan said: "They ask you concerning the soul. Say that the soul is from Allah and you have not been given knowledge of it except a little." [Soorah al-Isra (17): 85]

The Soul is a creation of Allah, whose function is to bring life to the human body. It remains with the human body throughout the life and departs at death. After which the souls are either held in Paradise or punishment.

Islam teaches that Allah is responsible to see that every being gets its due right and injustice does not go unpunished

When the soul leaves the body, where does it go? It returns to where it always was.

Again that was a Sufi thought.

See what we learn from the Qur'an and Sunnah.

1. To sum up the evidence, it is clear that the souls of all people, believers and unbelievers, are taken up to the heavens at the time of death by angels and presented to Allah Almighty.

2. The record of the believer?s deeds is placed in a high place in heaven called Illiyyin and the sinner?s record is thrown into the lowest earth known as Sijjin.
  • "Nay! Truly the record of the evil-doers is preserved in Sijjin.
  • And what will explain to you what Sijjin is?
  • A register inscribed.
  • Nay! Truly the record of the pious is preserved in Illiyyin.
  • And what will make you know what Illiyyin is?
  • A Register inscribed.
  • To which bear witness those nearest to Allah (i.e. the angels).? (Soorah Al-Mutaffifin v 7-9, 18-21)
3. The souls are returned to their bodies temporarily for questioning by the angels.

4. When the soul returns, the dead person is able to hear the retreating footsteps of the men who came to bury him. This is an exception to the general rule in the Qur'aan that the dead cannot hear the living.

Verily, you cannot make the dead to hear, nor can you make the deaf hear the call when they flee, turning their backs.(Surah An Naml v 80)

Nor are alike the living and the dead. Verily, Allah makes whom He will hear, but you cannot make those in the graves hear. (Surah Fatir v. 22)
5. The blessed soul is taken to the heavens where it is changed into a bird and eats freely from the fruits in paradise. It rests in a state of peaceful sleep while the cool breezes of paradise flow gently over it. In contrast is the sinner's soul, which is thrown with contempt into the lowest earth to feel the savage heat and stench of hell. Both kinds of soul reside in the same places as their Records of deeds.

6. The torture of the grave is for the soul, but if Allah Wills, it can also be felt by the body. The human body has to decay and decompose into the ground, but as the punishment of the grave is for the soul, it can continue until the Last Day.

Edited by abosait - 20 April 2009 at 10:52am
abosait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abosait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2009 at 11:12am

.........If you cannot understand from where your Ruh comes from, to whom it belongs to, and what is its function in your body, it is such a sad thing. It is as if you are living like a zombie. ...............

Allah made the Souls of the people and has preserved them to be introduced into the fetuses at the appropriate time.

After the fetus has completed 120 days in the mother's womb, the angels introduce its soul  into the foetus and it is then not permissible to abort it, no matter what the deformity, unless continuation of the pregnancy would put the mother�s life in danger.

We have already discussed about the deviant belief of the Sufis and I have explained to you what the Qur'an and Sunnah teach us about Soul. Please visit pages #1 to #11 of the following link:

http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13571&PN=1

http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13571&PN=11

Edited by abosait - 20 April 2009 at 6:07pm
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2009 at 6:26am
Originally posted by abosait abosait wrote:

The Qur'aan and Sunnah give us only a limited knowledge concerning the soul.

Yes, and who has this limited knowledge? It is the special people who had won the jihadatunnafs. The jihad of the Nafs. It is not us nor any layman who had litle knowledge of Allah. People like the Nabiyullah and waliyullah. My teacher had said, the position of a True Murshid (Shaikh) and The Prophets is like the middle and the forefinger. So Very close.

The description of Ruh/Nafs that you stated is true and correct. However what is the real function of this Naf/Ruh that Allah had lent to us?
Originally posted by wrote:

The soul ................ It is more like sunlight reflected on a window at sunset, or an image reflected in a mirror. But if the mirror is dirty, nothing will show in it.

That is another Sufi fabrication.

Be careful Abosait. The article that I posted is not a fabrication of the writer's mind. But written by none other than one of our beloved scholars of Islam Imam-alGhazali. I even highligted it in blue bold.

In your desperation to win this debate, you would resort to anything to prove you are right. Even to the extent of belittling our Islamic scholars? We are not here to win or lose a debate Abosait  but to exchange or explore the ilm of Allah. Remember Allah says in the Quran - 18 - 109. Say (O Muhammad to mankind). "If the sea were ink for (writing) the Words of my Lord, surely, the sea would be exhausted before the Words of my Lord would be finished, even if we brought (another sea) like it for its aid."

Possibly you need to clean the 'dirty mirror' that is in you so that you heart will be softened and cleaned. My previous ustadz said - The zikr to soften the heart is reciting - Ya Latheef many times.

Originally posted by wrote:

As I told you earlier Sufism (tasawwuf) is a blend of various thoughts and philosophies. By intermingling a few traces of Islamic teachings with it, the Sufi thinkers attempted to sanctify their doctrines and demonstrate its conformity to Islam

If you are honest Abosait, why not you link the website so that we could verify the authenticity of the writer. You seems to prefer to believe an anti-Sufi websites than our own Great Islamic Scholar like Imam Ghazali or Abdul Qadir Jailani?

Edited by Nur_Ilahi - 21 April 2009 at 6:28am
abosait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abosait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2009 at 9:08am

........My teacher had said, the position of a True Murshid (Shaikh) and The Prophets is like the middle and the forefinger. So Very close....

The Shaikh is given a high rank in Sufism, perhaps higher than that of the pope in Catholicism.

why not you link the website so that we could verify the authenticity of the writer.

Stop worrying about the author.

You are not answerable for other's deeds.

So worry about your own Aakhirah.

I agree that no human is infallible except Rasoolullah Sallallahu Alahi wasallam, but Other great personalities will have so much of good deeds to their account that a few slips here and there will not add much loss to the weight of their a'amaal.

Stop slandering/weighing the A'amaal of the elders and worry about your own aakhirah because none will bear the burden of another.

Al-Bukhari recorded that `Abdullah bin Mas`ud said: The Prophet entered Makkah (at the Con- quest), and around the House (the Ka`bah) were three hundred and sixty idols. He started to strike them with a stick in his hand, saying,

[جَآءَ الْحَقُّ وَزَهَقَ الْبَـطِلُ إِنَّ الْبَـطِلَ كَانَ زَهُوقًا]

(Truth has come and falsehood has vanished. Surely falsehood is ever bound to vanish.) [17:81]

[جَآءَ الْحَقُّ وَمَا يُبْدِىءُ الْبَـطِلُ وَمَا يُعِيدُ]

(Truth has come, and falsehood can neither create anything nor resurrect (anything).) [34:49]

Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2009 at 10:24pm

The Shaikh is given a high rank in Sufism, perhaps higher than that of the pope in Catholicism.

Of course!  Definitely! Even you and I have a better position than the Pope because you know why? Because we believe in Allah Subhanahuwataala and we believe that Muhammad is the last Messenger.

By the way, what makes you think that the Pope has got a higher position than us Abosait?

Stop worrying about the author. - At least I am not afraid to quote my sources. Why do you? Unless you have something to hide?

You are not answerable for other's deeds. So worry about your own Aakhirah.  -

Tasawwuf teaches us a high level of Love towards The Creator and all of Creation. The dua' from our True Murshid will have an effect on us in the hereafter. So are our dua' if it is Ikhlas.

I agree that no human is infallible except Rasoolullah Sallallahu Alahi wasallam, but Other great personalities will have so much of good deeds to their account that a few slips here and there will not add much loss to the weight of their a'amaal.

You are saying that our great Scholars like Imam Ghazali who wrote the Great Ihya Ulumuddin, Sheikh Abdul Qadir Jailani - the leader of all Sufis made a slip by following Sufism?

Stop slandering/weighing the A'amaal of the elders and worry about your own aakhirah because none will bear the burden of another.

I am not worrying about the 'amal of the elders, I am following the 'amal of the Learned Elders in this case the Great Sufis for the benefit of my own akhirah. Because if you know yourself you know Allah.

There is an analogy of the Sufis - If a King wants to give anything that he owns to you, what will you choose? Some people would want the palace, some would want the money, some would want the land, but a smart person would choose The King.

That is what Tasawwuf is all about. Desiring/yearning for none other than Allah Subhanahuwataala.

Salam

abosait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abosait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2009 at 5:41am

That is what Tasawwuf is all about. Desiring/yearning for none other than Allah Subhanahuwataala.

But Islam teaches us to seek the countenance of Allah.

Al-Baqara [2:272]          
لَّيْسَ عَلَيْكَ هُدَاهُمْ وَلَـكِنَّ اللّهَ يَهْدِي مَن يَشَاء وَمَا تُنفِقُواْ مِنْ خَيْرٍ فَلأنفُسِكُمْ وَمَا تُنفِقُونَ إِلاَّ ابْتِغَاء وَجْهِ اللّهِ وَمَا تُنفِقُواْ مِنْ خَيْرٍ يُوَفَّ إِلَيْكُمْ وَأَنتُمْ لاَ تُظْلَمُونَ

Laysa AAalayka hudahum walakinna Allaha yahdee man yashao wama tunfiqoo min khayrin falianfusikum wama tunfiqoona illa ibtighaa wajhi Allahi wama tunfiqoo min khayrin yuwaffa ilaykum waantum la tuthlamoona

2:272 It is not required of thee (O Messenger., to set them on the right path, but Allah sets on the right path whom He pleaseth. Whatever of good ye give benefits your own souls, and ye shall only do so seeking the "Face" of Allah. Whatever good ye give, shall be rendered back to you, and ye shall not Be dealt with unjustly.

Ar-Rum [30:38]          
فَآتِ ذَا الْقُرْبَى حَقَّهُ وَالْمِسْكِينَ وَابْنَ السَّبِيلِ ذَلِكَ خَيْرٌ لِّلَّذِينَ يُرِيدُونَ وَجْهَ اللَّهِ وَأُوْلَئِكَ هُمُ الْمُفْلِحُونَ

Faati tha alqurba haqqahu waalmiskeena waibna alssabeeli thalika khayrun lillatheena yureedoona wajha Allahi waolaika humu almuflihoona

30:38 So give what is due to kindred, the needy, and the wayfarer. That is best for those who seek the Countenance, of Allah, and it is they who will prosper.

Ar-Rum [30:39]          
وَمَا آتَيْتُم مِّن رِّبًا لِّيَرْبُوَ فِي أَمْوَالِ النَّاسِ فَلَا يَرْبُو عِندَ اللَّهِ وَمَا آتَيْتُم مِّن زَكَاةٍ تُرِيدُونَ وَجْهَ اللَّهِ فَأُوْلَئِكَ هُمُ الْمُضْعِفُونَ

Wama ataytum min riban liyarbuwa fee amwali alnnasi fala yarboo AAinda Allahi wama ataytum min zakatin tureedoona wajha Allahi faolaika humu almudAAifoona

30:39 That which ye lay out for increase through the property of (other) people, will have no increase with Allah. but that which ye lay out for charity, seeking the Countenance of Allah, (will increase): it is these who will get a recompense multiplied.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic