IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Family Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - hate living in Saudi Arabia; husband won't move  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hate living in Saudi Arabia; husband won't move

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Full of Hopes View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full of Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hate living in Saudi Arabia; husband won't move
    Posted: 14 September 2009 at 2:55am

Edited by Full of Hopes - 14 September 2009 at 3:34am
And whoever seeks a religion other than Isl�m, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers(3:85)
fais View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2009 at 11:54pm

slamoalaikum sister,

i can understand your situtation as i am married to my cousin who is of saudi culture and when i go to her house i feel so lonly.anyways first thing my advise is take islam seriously dont just follow it because its your husbands deen,belive me u will get peace if learn islam.

u know americans and brits love to work in saudi as they get tax free income,i have my british manager who worked in saudi for 20yrs.

your problem is your financial status beacuse which u cant enjoy things in saudi,there are many things to do in saudi if u r rich,u can have compound accomodation where u can move freely and so,plus what u can do is open a daycare centre belive me u will mint money if do this as u r american and saudis have craze for american teachers.its not easy but very profitable.my true advice to you dont leave ur girl child alone she will be spoiled and be involved in realtions and then she will have no value for islam,god forbid.

i dont understand one thing,all your childrens are having american nationality so they should get social security expenses which is arround 500 usd each child if i am not wrong,so 2000usd is a good ammount

momoffour View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momoffour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 2:33pm
Lulu,

Asalam Alaikum, welcome to Saudi Arabia.......Confused

I can't seem to send you a private message and I can't find your email address.  I do not want to give out my email address through this venue either.  Not sure how to get in touch with each other.  Keep in touch and we'll figure it out!

Salams
Lulu View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2009 at 7:35am
Salam. I am new here in KSA. I wouls love to be friends with you as I am getting some 'West withdrawal' symptoms ... please sent me your contact to my email. I am in Rehab Jeddah right now and moved here 1 month ago.

masalam. Lulu
momoffour View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momoffour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2009 at 11:05am
Asalam Alaikum.....

Sr. Asma, wow I like what you had to say.  Not all of it applies to me or my particular situation, but I really appreciate you taking the time writing and acknowledging me and this problem which certainly I'm not the only one who suffers from.

I wish life were as easy as you made it sound.  And we all have our problems and issues.  Humdullilah for all that I have and all that Allah is keeping from me, this is his plan.  Insh'allah I will grow from this experience and my family and I will be better for it. 

Thanks again.....
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2009 at 9:39am
Salaams SrAsma,

welcome to the forum... you had alot of great insights. We are our own group you are right..

i am in karachi now.. and it feels the same what you wrote.. i can live in US and have the comfort, but Islam is not there. I come here and there is Islam but lack of social network..

you put it aptly and timely for me!

Hayfa
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Sr. Asma View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sr. Asma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 9:08am

Salam to all.  I think a lot of us reverts or converts to Islam have the same problems...no one can relate to us.  Although I have lived in Saudi for 13yrs, I am still basically alone...  Being from Illinois it seems I "gave up" being an American once I took Islam...but I am some what "forgiven" for this once the person knows I spent time in the active Army as an MP in Desert Storm.

Americans who are not Muslims have trouble relating to my Islam...we are from the same background, but Islam is a big part of a Muslim's life and the relating stops.  Saudi or other Arabs have an equally hard time relating to us...we have Islam in common, but not the rest...

As an American Muslim I have found myself "on the outside looking in" here in Saudi and in the US (lived there for 14mos with my 15 and 13yr old girls).  When I was in the US I could have taken off my hijab and looked like any other Swedish/German woman...but with hijab I am Muslim...another nationality.  I kept my hijab and learned a lot about myself.

As new Muslims it took a lot of backbone to change our religion and for many of us to go against not only our culture, but our families as well.  When we are trying to fit in with either the Americans or the Arabic cultures we are not standing on our own and staying strong like we were when we took shahadda.

I have talked with many Arabs and their comments are always how "good" new Muslims are and how much they respect us for changing our religion... I would almost say this (more than the different backgrounds) is what blocks the Arabs from making friendships with us...they admire us and set us above them in the Islamic area...wouldn't want us to see them as not such perfect Muslims.  Think of the German who knows English, but refuses to speak it until the American attempts speaking German first...the German doesn't want to be the first to look bad (lived in Bavaria for 3yrs). 

I know Saudis judge non-Saudis...there are many ways to deal with this but the one I found works best is to do what my cat did to my Saudi husband...kept going to my husband, lay down next to him and wait for a pat and one day it came.  Be nice to the ones that seem the most judgmental...it drives them crazy and all people are nosey about others, they will eventually either leave you alone, or talk with you and not bother you again. 

Not speaking Arabic is a problem. Arabs view a person who doesn't try learning Arabic as stuck-up and putting themselves above the Arab. You don't want to learn, that�s fine, but try meeting in the middle... When the Arab talks to you in Arabic say (just learn one phrase in Arabic to help yourself) your "Sorry, Arabic is very difficult for me.  Do you speak English?" This will go a long way in helping you feel less judged by them.

Entertainment...ah, this is a problem.  You can fight against the culture of staying up late/wake up late (can't change it) or just accept that's the way it is. There were things I didn't like about Germany...but once I accepted it I enjoyed the culture there (was the first American beerfrau in the area I lived in). I didn't see where your husband works...if he doesn't work for Aramco or one of the companies that has compounds then life is more difficult, but not insurmountable.  Contact the embassy - see if there are American groups in the area and what is available to you. Now is when you have to think of the pioneers on the prairie...you have to be strong for your kids and find things to keep them busy in the home.  Help them learn a musical instrument if you learned one when you were young (it comes back trust me!), the three of you learn another language [Spanish etc] together, or go for walks on the beach.  Khobar has a nice Science museum...do you have one in your area? 

Friends...have you tried contacting Discover Islam in your area?  This group will have other Americans who have become Muslims...ah, finally the common group you were looking forSmile

Take it one day at a time and accept you are unique as a new Muslim...we are a separate group and you have to find your friends with usTongue   

Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2008 at 8:40pm

Salaams OmAbdullah,

How inspiring! I pray to live in a Muslim country someday. And you are right it is your intentions.. ultimately to try and please Allah.

Hayfa
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic