IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - God and Allah  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

God and Allah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 28>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2008 at 9:42am
Bi ismilahi rahmani raheem

Scientifically speaking all it would mean is that your cell regeneration stays at the same rate and does not decay, nothing Godly about that just something God decided to do for someone.

you assuming they are god becouse of it is your leap in logic not mine...i.e i don't need to believe that a person who does not die is a god also.

i should rather state its not Godly to be immortal as every one of us will be given this gift in the next life, will we be gods at that point in time?

Edited by rami
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2008 at 10:56am

Originally posted by poga poga wrote:

tell me ron who was the god who wrestle with job

I think you mean Jacob, and Genesis says that he was a man, not a god.

Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2008 at 11:11am

Originally posted by myahya myahya wrote:

Ron, A monotheist never believes that a mortal is another God and can be another God. Otherwise, I would not call him or her a monotheist. But, do you really believe if a mortal lives for more than what you think is ordinary, then that mortal would be another God? Then I would say how small your God is ... !

Well, it's a matter of semantics, isn't it?  Polytheistic religions usually ascribe different powers to their various gods, the Greeks had their demigods and their heroes and so on.  Where you draw the line between gods and humans is a matter of definition.  It just seems to me that immortality (or virtual immortality) is a pretty big one in the list of defining characteristics of a god.  That's why we contrast gods with "mortals".

Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2008 at 11:18am

Originally posted by rami rami wrote:

Scientifically speaking all it would mean is that your cell regeneration stays at the same rate and does not decay, nothing Godly about that just something God decided to do for someone.

It seems to me that we're talking about a full-blown miracle, not just something that "God decided to do for someone".  As I said, surely it would be a noteworthy event, not something left to be deduced from ambiguous and conflicting information.  I would rather believe, as Saint John said, that reports of his immortality were just rumours, not factual.

Quote i should rather state its not Godly to be immortal as every one of us will be given this gift in the next life, will we be gods at that point in time?

Well, we won't be "mortals" anymore.

myahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2008 at 1:29pm

It just seems to me that immortality (or virtual immortality) is a pretty big one in the list of defining characteristics of a god. 

Immortality is intrinsically one of the characteristics of Allah.

It seems to me that we're talking about a full-blown miracle, not just something that "God decided to do for someone". 

Prophets have shown full-blown miracles. Allah decided to do for them. None of them performed those miracles inherently.

rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2008 at 6:23pm
Bi ismillahi rahmani raheem

I would rather believe, as Saint John said, that reports of his immortality were just rumours, not factual.

I am not arguing for or against this particular case but rather if God has the ability to do it without us considering them a God.

Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2008 at 6:47pm

Originally posted by myahya myahya wrote:

Prophets have shown full-blown miracles. Allah decided to do for them. None of them performed those miracles inherently.

Yes of course, but my point is that miracles are extremely unusual events which would not go unnoticed or unreported.

Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2008 at 6:58pm

Originally posted by rami rami wrote:

I am not arguing for or against this particular case but rather if God has the ability to do it without us considering them a God.

Yes, God has the ability to do it.  Whether that makes them "gods" depends on your definition, of course.  I would say no, immortality by itself is insufficient; but I wouldn't call them "mortals" either.  They are somewhere in between.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 28>
  Share Topic