IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Female Circumcision  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Female Circumcision

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2008 at 12:04am
A woman with a large clitoris would not want sex more than a woman with a small clitoris.  And since you clearly stated that removal of the clitoris is haraam you cannot cut even part of it off.

This is a collection of nerve endings.  It has nothing to do with sexual desire.

Nur,  I see the biggest problem in cultures like yours is that you are uneducated about sex.  You do not have the faintest clue about the biology that runs your own body.  A woman is most sexually aroused at the time of ovulation, this is because of the hormones in her body and has nothing to do with her clitoris.  When women peak hormonally around 30, its that last drive to have children and then they enter menopause and loose most of their sexual drive.

Young girls today have issues because we marry older and have less stress on chastity and marriage.  Not because they aren't being circumcised.  Women sexually mature around 12-14.  (Some earlier, some later).  Women in ancient times married around this time. 

Its more important to focus on education with young girls to prevent premarital sex.  Wanting sex is not bad.  Especially for your husband.  Not wanting sex is very bad.  Having the faith and respect to not have sex with anyone but your husband is a matter of upbringing and not biology.

Let us understand what the purpose of the clitoral hood is...protection for a highly sensitive area.  So, if you remove the clitoral hood, then you are removing the protective skin that keeps this little bundle of nerves from being hurt or over stimulated.  If a woman is having problem with infections, perhaps it might be reduced, but that is a medical thing, not a religious thing and has nothing to do with sex.

The practice is nothing short of butchery of a woman's body for unfounded beliefs of uneducated peoples.  If you want to affect a woman's sexual desire you have to affect her fertility, not her clitoris.

Most women in the US and I assume other western countries have had some form of education on the matter.  My class was in 6th grade and all the girls were taken into a class and then taught about their periods and what it meant.  Later, when I was about 14, a letter was sent to my parents for permission for the Sex-Ed Course at my high school.  This was the main biology class to learn about babies, how your body changes and included the "parenting" class that is to show kids how much work babies really are and scare them into chastity.  Some of my classmates were not allowed to take this class because of religious reasons.  To this fact, some of those ended up pregnant and in trouble.  The more education a woman has the better she is at making choices.

If women know the risks and have been built up with respect then they will make the right choices.  Instead of butchering the baby girl, teach her as she grows.  IF she has problems later and needs to have the clitoral hood removed, then SHE should make that choice.
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2008 at 7:22am

Hi Again,

I am quite disappointed that some of you here think that I came from an uneducated background without any education whatsoever.  Perhaps where lengthy scientific knowledge regarding the clitoris, I may not have, but generally I do have some basics.

And Angela, when I was 12, , that was more than 30 years ago, education in my country already included the topics that you mentioned. In fact what my children was taught in regards to sexual education was much more advanced than what we had in our school days.  

I introduced this topic about female circumcision is for us to see and to understand as to why this practice may be beneficial for women. This practice had been present way before Muhammad�s time and still practiced by many Muslims as I believe there is some hikmah or wisdom.

Minuteman mentioned that it was not recorded that the women of our Prophet had this circumcision, but it was also not recorded that they did not had it done. Why did Our dear Prophet s.a.w said - The first reason is the statement of Muhammad: "Circumcision is a law for men and a preservation of honour for women."  Perhaps honour in this context is honourable not to seek for more. Possibility that by having a longer clitoris, the sexual desire maybe more and lusting for more sex is very dishonourable.

When I  compare generally the practising Muslim girls and the non-Muslims or even non practising Muslims, wherever they are now, Alhamdulillah, where morality is concerned, our practising Muslim girls, have an upper hand. Perhaps the reason is because of this practice, and another is because of hijab and the other reasons is because of the strong faith in Allah. (avoid which is haram and encourage which is halal).

God loves us human so much. One of the reasons He created sex is for procreation, If there is no beauty in sex, what will happen to this world? - barren with no children.  

However free sex or fornication is totally wrong or haram as it is one of the source of many matrimonial problems.

Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2008 at 7:54am
Nur_Ilahi first off, nobody said that you had no educational background and nobody challenged your personal knowledge so I'm not sure where you perceived that. What we can say is that wee disagree with your defense of FGM (Female Genital Mutilation). But allow me to say if you had such a prior formal education concerning this issue then perhaps you would've refrained from saying the clitoris was the center for sexual desire (when in fact it's not).
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2008 at 6:16pm

Originally posted by Nur_Ilahi Nur_Ilahi wrote:

I introduced this topic about female circumcision is for us to see and to understand as to why this practice may be beneficial for women.

There is no benefit!

Quote This practice had been present way before Muhammad�s time and still practiced by many Muslims as I believe there is some hikmah or wisdom.

There is no wisdom behind.

It's got nothing to do with religion, yes some muslims may do it but its more culture and tribal than religious. Honour killings were done before muhammed to but there is no religious wisdom behind it.

Quote Minuteman mentioned that it was not recorded that the women of our Prophet had this circumcision, but it was also not recorded that they did not had it done.

true but don't you think if it was of importance either religious or benefit of the women before and during Muhammed's time that it would be recorded, just like the hijab and to cover for modesty? Don't you think some thing like this should have been recorded?? but its not don't you think you should be asking yourself these questions instead.

No one knows why it began but its probably comes from those who felt ashamed and guilty of feeling pleasure and feeling good about themselves and so they passed it on. Those who embrace sex and the goodness that comes with and not ashamed, will not do such a thing.  

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2008 at 9:26pm

The general morality is a system of rights and wrongs that are taught by the family and the society in general. And in a sense you are comparing very different morals of a society as a whole. For instance that dating etc is accepted in western cultural values. In Islam it is not. There are so many factors and so many differing views on the world that it is not "one" action such as hijab that determines the moral fabric of a woman or of men. 

I do not think that you are uneducated or any such thing.  But I do disagree with the premise that wanting sex alot for a woman is a bad thing. And thus the also associats the  premise that a woman who does will be more likely to fornicate outside the marriage. This is where the morals that we are taught comes into play.

It is like anyting else, having lustful thoughts is not bad. They are part of life, it is what you do with these thoughts. If you tend to have many, do you rise up to the challenge and not dwell on them in an unacceptable manner (like for another man other than your husband or wife)?

More marriages have problems due to the lack of interest of one partner-wife or husband. 

Also, in the west, in a Christian tradition, women were taught they where "whores" if they enjoyed and wanted sex. Women were to be passive and just accept this role. That lust and desire were not good in a woman. It needed to be controlled. Women were very much treated poorly.

And I would never have become a Muslim if there was anything in the Quran that would agree with this. It is human nature. It just has its time and place. Desire between husband and wife is a good thing. Nothing wrong with it.

Again as Angel said, the clitoris is not what stimulates desire. And where does it say that desire is not good for women?  So many women become Muslims because of Islam's healthy outlook on sex. It is not just for procreation. We are full sexual beings. And what man does not want a woman who enjoys that side of life? It is one of the pleasures we can have, in a proper place and situation--married.

In fact in Islam, if I am correct, not having a fulfilling "private" life is grounds for a divorce for men and women. We have a right to fulfillment. If a husband and wife are not compatable that is okay. It happens.

I think most people have an issue with removal of the foreskin over the clitoris. You even posted the note by the World Health Organization that that is not the issue that people have an issue with.  And I think on another thread others posted that this is what is referred to. NOT any other version.

Take care

Hayfa

Edited by Hayfa
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2008 at 10:41pm

Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

Nur_Ilahi first off, nobody said that you had no educational background and nobody challenged your personal knowledge so I'm not sure where you perceived that. What we can say is that wee disagree with your defense of FGM (Female Genital Mutilation). But allow me to say if you had such a prior formal education concerning this issue then perhaps you would've refrained from saying the clitoris was the center for sexual desire (when in fact it's not).

Many people think that Muslim way of Female Circumcision is the same as FGM (female Genital Mutilation). It is definitely not.

Here is the three types of circumcision in a female. -

a) Removal of the hood (or prepuce) of the clitoris. This procedure is, to some degree, analgous to male circumcision since in both cases, no part of the sexual organ is cut off. In both cases also, it is only the foreskin, or outer fold of the skin, which is cut off. Properly done, it is not likely to cause any "matrimonial" problem. While some may call it "sunnah circumcision," this is their own appellation and not that of the Prophet (P) who used the term Sunnah only in the context of male circumcision.

b) Removal of the entire clitoris (clitorectomy) along with part of the labia minora, which is satured together leaving an opening. This is a form of mutilation.

c) Removal of the entire clitoris, labia minora and medial part of the labia majora, whith both sides of the female organ stitched together leaving a small opeing. This procedure requires tying together the child's legs of nearly three weeks. [9] It is called the Pharaonic procedure but may as well be called "mutilation".

The one that I meant in this topic is the one that is highlighted in red bold.

Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2008 at 10:50pm

Hi Angela,

Please do not think that this female circumcision is the same as FGM. It is totally not.

These are non-obligatory acts that should be looked into further and in the context of these days, perhaps it can be beneficial.

Anyway, I introduced this subject not to ask women to start cutting off their clitoris, but to think deeply as to why fornication is so blatant nowadays and how this can be overcome.

Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2008 at 10:58pm

Hi Hayfa,

Please do not think that I consider women uncircumcised very 'whory'. Not at all.

I was just thinking women who had a longer clitoris perhaps had an excess libido and had no way of letting go their yearnings or lusts as in unmarried women or widows. And how to avoid fornication if these excesses are not met?

As to married women, there is no harm in having and enjoying sex with their husbands. In fact, Allah blesses women who are Redha (pleasing) to their husbands. As pleasing a husband is also pleasing God. (meaning obeying).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic