IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Female Circumcision  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Female Circumcision

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2008 at 11:23am

I had posted that the circumcision was for the male children only. Allah knew very well and ordered something. Men cannot be wiser than Him. I had given good reasons to forget the practice of female circumcision. But I see the matter is being pursued somehow.

Even the prophet s.a.w.s. is involved into supporting it. That is not possible. As a lost resort, I would ask the friends here how many of the ladies of the Ummah were circumcised?? Were any of the wives of the prophet s.a.w.s. circumcised?? Was his daughter Fatima circumcised?? I am sure the answer is NO.

Angela has given good reasons to prove that it is not an Islamic act and not necessary. There is no need to look for any medical benefits in female circumcision. Now I will take up the hadith which is being presented, shown below:

The first reason is the statement of Muhammad: "Circumcision is a law for men and a preservation of honour for women."

This Hadith does not refer to any circumcision of the female. It simply states that circumcision is a must for the male and that is an honor for the female. That means the circumcision of the males is an honor and good for the female from the point of cleanliness and comfort. It says nothing about the circumcision of the female. Please some one should try to give their comments about this hadith. It appears that it is being misunderstood. A circumsized man is an honor for the lady compared to an uncircumsized man.  But only ladies can tell this thing.

mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2008 at 11:18pm
this is posted for information purposes only
found at http://www.minaret.org/fgm.htm

[For a more detailed discussion see our pamphlet: Female Genital Mutilation: An Islamic Perspective]

RELIGION AND FEMALE GENITAL MUTILATION

A Summary of Remarks

to the Ethiopian Community Development Commission

by Imad-ad-Dean Ahmad, Ph.D.

Minaret of Freedom Institute

Islamic law is well-defined through a tradition of jurisprudence. The sources of that law are, in order of importance: the Qur'an which is the Muslim scripture, the practice of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) and his community (passed on through traditions called had�th, consensus (which may be census of the scholars or of the entire community--a point of controversy) and ijtih�d or the individual efforts of scholars to attain understanding of the shar�`ah (i.e., the Divine Law) through various tools which I shall not go into here.

Although there is no reference to circumcision at all in the Qur'an, there is a well-established tradition of male circumcision in Islam as a "sunnah" act (i.e., one following the practice of the Prophet and his companions). There is no mandate at all for female circumcision, however. Although female circumcision is not mandated, one tradition of disputed authenticity permits (but does not encourage) the removal of a minuscule segment of skin from the female prepuce, provided no harm is done. Permitting such a ritual constitutes an act of tolerance by Islamic law for pre-Islamic practices, and may be overruled by the Islamic prohibition against harmful acts. Consider, for example, that Islamic law protects a woman's right to sexual enjoyment, as demonstrated by the fact that a woman has the right to divorce on the grounds that her husband does not provide sexual satisfaction. It follows that Islamic law prohibits clitorodectomy (partial or complete) or infibulation, or any genital mutilation which impairs the woman's ability to enjoy sexual relations.

People often confuse traditions rooted in local culture with religious requirements. Ethiopians in the United States stand between the Ethiopian culture of their heritage and the American culture of their environment. They cannot and should not be expected to abandon their religion. I do think, however, that the young amongst them, at least, will be willing to abandon old-world cultural practices at odds with their adopted culture when such practices are unsupported by religion.

"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2008 at 6:24am

Types of circumcision:

a) Removal of the hood (or prepuce) of the clitoris. This procedure is, to some degree, analgous to male circumcision since in both cases, no part of the sexual organ is cut off. In both cases also, it is only the foreskin, or outer fold of the skin, which is cut off. Properly done, it is not likely to cause any "matrimonial" problem. This is the type the scholars mentioned is permitted according to the Islamic evidences.

b) Removal of the entire clitoris (clitorectomy) along with part of the labia minora, which is satured together leaving an opening. This is a form of mutilation and is haram (forbidden).

c) Removal of the entire clitoris, labia minora and medial part of the labia majora, with both sides of the female organ stitched together leaving a small opening. This procedure requires tying together the child's legs of nearly three weeks. It is called the Pharaonic procedure and also haram.

2. �For most of the Shafi'i school, circumcision is obligatory upon the women. While the Hanbali school and few scholars of the Shafi'i school hold that circumcision of women is not obligatory but Sunnah, while the Hanafi and the Maliki consider it a mere courtesy to the husband. And according to some scholars, female circumcision is customarily done in a hot climate.� [Fiqh al-Islam wa Adillatihi 3/741]

3. Some people quote the following hadith to argue that it is recommended: "Circumcision is a commedable act for men (Sunnah) and is an honorable thing for women (Makromah)." However this hadith is considered da�if (weak) according to the hadith scholars. [Al-Shawkani, Nayl Al-awtar, Dar Al-Jeel, Beirut, 1973, vol. 1, p. 139]

Da�if (weak) hadith cannot be used as evidence in ahkam shariah.

4. There is the following hadith on the subject:

"Cut off only the foreskin (outer fold of skin over the clitoris; the prepuce) but do not cut off deeply (i.e. the clitoris itself), for this is brighter for the face (of the girl) and more favourable with the husband." [Al-Tabarani, quoted in Al-albani, Muhammad N., Silsilat al-Ahadeeth Al-Sahihah, Al Maktab Al-Islami, Beirut, Lebanon, 1983, vol. 2, Hadeeth no. 722, pp. 353-358 espeically pp. 356-257. See also N. keller (translator/editor), The Reliance of the Traveller by Ahmad al-Masri, Modern Printing Press, Dubai, 1991, e 4.3, p. 59.]

5. There is also a Hadith narrated in Ahmad, also in Malik with similar wordings to the effect that if the two areas of circumcision (for a male and female) touch one another, than Ghusl (bathing) is required. This expression simply signified that after the intimate matrimonial relationship, both husband and wife must take a complete bath before they perform their daily prayers. The relevant part of this Hadeeth, however, is its reference to the two circumcised parts. Imam Ahmad uses this Hadeeth as an evidence that women (in Madinah) used to be circumcised. However this does not indicate that it is recommended, simply that it is permitted.

6. It is true that in some Muslim countries some of the people in Egypt and Somalia undertake the form of circumcision that Islam forbids i.e. the cutting off of the entire clitoris (clitorectomy) � however this is due to following traditions rather than Islam.

While the exact origin of female circumcision is not known, "it preceded Christianity and Islam." [Stewart, Rosemary, "Female Circumcision: Implicaitons for North American Nurses, " in Journal of Psychosocial Nursing, vol. 35, no.4, 1997, p. 35] The most radical form of female circumcision (infibulation) is known as the Pharaonic Procedure. This may signify that it may have been practiced long before the rise of Islam, Christianity and possibly Judaism. It is not clear, however, whether this practice originated in Egypt or in some other African countries then spread to Egypt. [Haqa'iq Ilmiyya Hawla Khitan Al-Inaath (in Arabic), Jam'iyyat Tanzeem Al-Usrah, Cairo, 1983, p.7.]

http://tsaqafahislam.com/risala/index.php?option=com_content &task=view&id=24&Itemid=34

I believe that Islam is a religion that stress very much on hygiene. Therefore this practise, even though is not sunnah mu'akaddah but mubah, it should be looked into further. In communities where this is widely practised like mine for example, I have never heard of anything negative about it.

Especially in the context of this age where little girls had shown such a high degree of sexual desire, truly I find it very scary.

Salam.

Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2008 at 8:30am

Salaams Nur,

You have referred twice about the "high degree" of sexual desire of girls.. and this has little to do with "biology" -their clitoris etc. In some cultures people have sex outside of marriage or main partners. That is due to "culture." Getting the hood of the clitoris cut off actually may stimulate the clirotis even more..so...

In fact women actually "peak" in terms of desire in their 30s.  

Having your daughter circumcised will not stop her from having sex with anyone but her husband. What will determine that is her individual circumstance and morals. I am sure there are women in your community who have had this surgery who have not been truly monogamous. Its like saying that circumcised men are more monogomous then noncircumcised men. There is no proven correlation. 

I don't agree that this is the way to "control" women.

And what is wrong with a high degree of sexual desire??

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2008 at 8:54am

This is the key phrase from her response:

"In communities where this is widely practised like mine"

I don't think all the supported scientific and medical evidence would deter Nur from calling this practice "acceptable." I believe he/she has accepted this practice and will not be convinced. But in commenting on the negativity of high "sexual desire" I've come under the impression that some cultures: Arabs, Pakistanis, Afghans, Malays etc who live in Muslim dominated countries are greatly influenced by the cultural belief that sex especially in open discussion is taboo or those who are perceived to be "oversexual." Like Maryah has said theree is nothing wrong with having a high sexual drive as long as you can maintain your behavior and respect your partner's decision if he/she does not have the same sexual energy as you do.

I find it a continuous contradiction in the Muslim community when I hear Muslims talk big about everything being a gift from God yet we treat sex as a disgusting thing or something that is so nasty to talk about. Me frankly (slightly getting off topic) sex is a beautiful thing and I appreciate the artwork many Hindus draw in many of their literature and scripts regarding sex. Sexual intercourse is the closes thing a man and a woman can get so its important that we appreciate that. But to deter a woman from sexual stimulation by either piercing the flesh or slightly clipping it for the sole reason of deterring sexual desire is an ignorant way of practicing medicine. Men on the other hand are different.

Here is a little scientific fact:

Although keeping the foreskin is not a big problem, if men remained uncircumcised and do not bathe themselves bacteria can become trapped under the foreskin layer and can cause a possible infection and leaves a nasty odor. Simply put the only reason why circumcision is important in the Muslim community is because of religious practice to mimick the prophet Abraham and his covenant with God (just saying in case many do not know). Women on the other hand I am not so sure. I perceive cutting the prepuce even in proper way (if there is one) still does not deter sexual desire nor can make a woman more hygenic. Remember women have hair in the groin area which, if left unkept can also trap bacteria which can cause a nasty odor just like uncircumcised men.

Simply put, if you do not clean yourself properly even if such practices are done you can still have very bad hygeine which may not make you sexually desirable anyway. Oh by the way ladies don't get ashamed as some of you may say when I talk about this because I do work in the medical field and I've seen it all this is kinda the cut and dry response like Maryah's and Angela.

Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 5:30am

As we know, Islam very much encourage moderation. Anything we do, we are always to practise moderation. I am sure there are some hikmah or wisdom behind this sunnah practice.

As the article that I linked earlier said, it is to cut excessive libido in a woman. Perhaps with that tiny extra length of the clitoris, women may tend to want sex more often. It is good if she has it with her husband, but what if she is not married, a young growing girl for example. Fornication is haram in Islam, how and where is she going to channel all that desires? Women live longer than men, if a widowed woman suddenly finds no husband, how is she going to find the sexual satisfaction?

Fasting and lots of ibadah (acts of worship) can suppress these desires if one is without husbands/wives. The nafs or lust/deisres will become weaker if the soul/heart is channelled towards God.

As to the subject of high sexual desires, it is not taboo nowadays. With the TV and mass media showing all kinds of sexual acts discreetly or blatantly, we have no choice but to advise our children as to the negative effect of these actions.

Indeed Islam encourage very much hygiene in our everyday life. It is sunnah to shave off our pubic hair, the underarms, wash ourselves each time we move our bowels or pass urine. To take a bath each time we had sex with our husbands. Taking wudu' before our prayers - shows that Islam put a high importance towards hygiene.

In fact hygiene is part of iman (belief).

Salam.

Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 7:35am

Nur_Ilahi:

As we know, Islam very much encourage moderation. Anything we do, we are always to practise moderation. I am sure there are some hikmah or wisdom behind this sunnah practice.

I am unable to understand whose Sunnah is that. who of the prophets family practiced it? I have no news and no idea. Could we say " I am sure there are some hikmah or wisdom behind this practice."

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 8:00am

Nur_Ilahi,

As a male I have to disagree with your presentation of your argument on the basis of claiming hat cutting a minor part of the clitoris to curb sexual drive as sexual drive in itself is not the result of either an elongated penis nor an abnormally large clitoris. I believe Angela explained this perfectly:

Reducing the clitoris does not decrease a woman's sex drive.  The clitoris is a collection of nerve endings that provide stimulation.  However, the actual desire to have sex is triggered by hormones produced in the head and in the ovaries.  Progesterone, Estrogene and others combine to arouse. 

Remember that your  body produces hormones which interact with the brain, primarily the hypothalamus. The hypothalamus is the center to many of the bodily drives but more importantly Nur_Ilahi you should know that our sexual drives are greatly increased at puberty. The increase in the production of testoterone (males) and estrogen (females) are not only responsible for the physical differentiation but also the increse productivity of the enzyme DHEA (primary adrenal sex hormone) are responsible for sexual feelings. As it wa sexplained to you earlier Nur_Ilahi, the clitoris is made up of nerve endings that provide stimulation. Even ovaries have a small part in sexual drive so the clitoris would have even a smaller effect on the sexual drive of the woman.

Perhaps with that tiny extra length of the clitoris, women may tend to want sex more often

My previous explanations showed how this is false.

Fornication is haram in Islam, how and where is she going to channel all that desires? Women live longer than men, if a widowed woman suddenly finds no husband, how is she going to find the sexual satisfaction?

I was under the impression masturbation was haraam however most clinicians would suggest masturbation. It is safe, and most pleasurables ince you know what does and does not please you but of course this is no substitute to having a life partner.

As to the subject of high sexual desires, it is not taboo nowadays. With the TV and mass media showing all kinds of sexual acts discreetly or blatantly, we have no choice but to advise our children as to the negative effect of these actions.

You may have misunderstood my intention on explaining sexual desire. What I meant was to show you is that sexual desire is not the result of the clitoris nor is the clitoris the center for sexual desire I believe this was already explained to you. But to address what you implied, sexual desires may become conditioned by mass media through subliminal messages and other forms of advertisement but even if such is the case cutting the clitoris still will not curb those desires. In fact quite oddly some women do lance themselves (in the form of genital piercing) and claim to have even greater stimulation however these cases are far and rare.

More importanly cutting or modififying the clitoral area reduces stimulation in that area or risk getting infected if done improperly but it is of my opinion that such practices should not be done. The website link you provided showed very weak arguments, even on a religious level supporting clitoridectomy.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic