IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Prophets - Jesus
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Was Jesus married?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Was Jesus married?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2007 at 6:38am

martha,

As you probably can guess I believe that Jesus/Isa was married.  Many of the Prophets wives in the Old Testament and Quran are not mentioned specifically, does that mean that they were not married.  No, of course not.  I think the silliness of Jesus having to be celibate and unmarried comes from the false concept that he was God incarnate.  I heard somewhere for him to reach the age of 33 and be called Rabbi in that time period of Judaism he would have had to have married. 

There was also a push in the early Church to strip away healthy sexual ideals and the rights of women.  Sex of any kind was considered bad, even between man and wife.  The early church was messed up in its concepts of sin and the fall of man.  Women were blamed, Eve marked with the first sin, and to have Jesus had to be above the carnal sexual desires of the sinful mortal man. 

Messed up isn't it.  Its impossible for the guilt triping "Traditional" Christians to picture Jesus as a loving husband to a chaste wife with the honor and love that comes from being a good husband.

The Prophets teach through example.  Though I don't believe Jesus to be "just" a Prophet, I believe that his teachings were also by example.  How can you teach the world about righteousness if you cannot show him how men and women are supposed to live in God's Plan.  Man and woman, Husband and Wife...as God ordained it should be.

martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 10:52am

(Wasnt sure where to put this new topic. Apologies if it is in the wrong section. )

When I was a Christian I came to understand that Jesus came to show people the way and to bring to pass the immortality of man. Jesus himself was baptised by John the Baptist in the river Jordan, to show the people that baptism was a necessary step to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. As marriage is also ordained by God, would it also have been necessary for Him to marry whilst on this earth, to show by example?

There are no such entries in the Bible of this event, not that I know of anyway. Many Christians would say that he lived a celibate life. But as a man who felt every kind of emotion, would it make sense that he would have had a wife? Some would say that Mary Magdelene was his wife. After he forgave her past history, she was constantly by His side, washed his feet, prepared meals. He first appeared to her, as the Bible says, after his death, before ascending into Heaven. 

Also, what is the muslim view on Jesus being married, if any. Is there any mention anywhere?

I  was just wondering. It isnt a big deal as such, just wondered if anyone else had thought the same. As for myself, I am happy to think he was married.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic