Forum Description: Prophets - Jesus
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10847
Printed Date: 19 April 2024 at 10:12am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Was Jesus married?
Posted By: martha
Subject: Was Jesus married?
Date Posted: 13 December 2007 at 10:52am

(Wasnt sure where to put this new topic. Apologies if it is in the wrong section. )

When I was a Christian I came to understand that Jesus came to show people the way and to bring to pass the immortality of man. Jesus himself was baptised by John the Baptist in the river Jordan, to show the people that baptism was a necessary step to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. As marriage is also ordained by God, would it also have been necessary for Him to marry whilst on this earth, to show by example?

There are no such entries in the Bible of this event, not that I know of anyway. Many Christians would say that he lived a celibate life. But as a man who felt every kind of emotion, would it make sense that he would have had a wife? Some would say that Mary Magdelene was his wife. After he forgave her past history, she was constantly by His side, washed his feet, prepared meals. He first appeared to her, as the Bible says, after his death, before ascending into Heaven. 

Also, what is the muslim view on Jesus being married, if any. Is there any mention anywhere?

I  was just wondering. It isnt a big deal as such, just wondered if anyone else had thought the same. As for myself, I am happy to think he was married.

Replies:
Posted By: Angela
Date Posted: 15 December 2007 at 6:38am

martha,

As you probably can guess I believe that Jesus/Isa was married.  Many of the Prophets wives in the Old Testament and Quran are not mentioned specifically, does that mean that they were not married.  No, of course not.  I think the silliness of Jesus having to be celibate and unmarried comes from the false concept that he was God incarnate.  I heard somewhere for him to reach the age of 33 and be called Rabbi in that time period of Judaism he would have had to have married. 

There was also a push in the early Church to strip away healthy sexual ideals and the rights of women.  Sex of any kind was considered bad, even between man and wife.  The early church was messed up in its concepts of sin and the fall of man.  Women were blamed, Eve marked with the first sin, and to have Jesus had to be above the carnal sexual desires of the sinful mortal man. 

Messed up isn't it.  Its impossible for the guilt triping "Traditional" Christians to picture Jesus as a loving husband to a chaste wife with the honor and love that comes from being a good husband.

The Prophets teach through example.  Though I don't believe Jesus to be "just" a Prophet, I believe that his teachings were also by example.  How can you teach the world about righteousness if you cannot show him how men and women are supposed to live in God's Plan.  Man and woman, Husband and Wife...as God ordained it should be.

Date Posted: 15 December 2007 at 6:47am

Hi Angela,

Thanks for that. I know it's a subject that many dont like to discuss. But it would be logical to think Jesus was married.  Thanks for replying.

Posted By: peacemaker
Date Posted: 15 December 2007 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by martha martha wrote:

(Wasnt sure where to put this new topic. Apologies if it is in the wrong section. )

When I was a Christian I came to understand that Jesus came to show people the way and to bring to pass the immortality of man. Jesus himself was baptised by John the Baptist in the river Jordan, to show the people that baptism was a necessary step to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. As marriage is also ordained by God, would it also have been necessary for Him to marry whilst on this earth, to show by example?

There are no such entries in the Bible of this event, not that I know of anyway. Many Christians would say that he lived a celibate life. But as a man who felt every kind of emotion, would it make sense that he would have had a wife? Some would say that Mary Magdelene was his wife. After he forgave her past history, she was constantly by His side, washed his feet, prepared meals. He first appeared to her, as the Bible says, after his death, before ascending into Heaven. 

Also, what is the muslim view on Jesus being married, if any. Is there any mention anywhere?

I  was just wondering. It isnt a big deal as such, just wondered if anyone else had thought the same. As for myself, I am happy to think he was married.

Assalamu Alaikum,

Following link may be helpful in this respect.

Some excerpts:

Although the Qur��n does not say anything about Jesus� marriage, his wife or children (nor does the New Testament); there is nothing wrong from the Islamic point of view if he was married and produced children. Allah says in the Qur��n:

We did send Messengers before thee, and appointed for them wives and children: and it was never the part of a Messenger to bring a Sign except as Allah permitted (or commanded). For each period is a Book (revealed). (Hud 13:38)

http://www.thetruecall.com/home/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=275 - http://www.thetruecall.com/home/modules.php?name=News&fi le=article&sid=275

-------------
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13

Posted By: robin
Date Posted: 28 May 2008 at 9:36am

The spirit-begotten, anointed brothers of Christ become underpriests of the High Priest, �a royal priesthood.� (1Pet 2:9; Rev 5:9, 10; 20:6) These do a priestly work, a �public service� (Php 2:17), and are called �ministers of a new covenant.� (2Cor 3:6) These called ones must follow Christ�s steps closely, faithfully, until laying down their lives in death; Jehovah will then make them a kingdom of priests, making them sharers in divine nature, and will reward them with immortality and incorruption as joint heirs in the heavens with Christ. (1 Pet 2:21; Rom 6:3, 4; 1Cor 15:53; 1 Pet 1:4; 2 Pet 1:4) The purpose of the covenant is to take out a people for Jehovah�s name as a part of Abraham�s �seed.� (Acts 15:14) They become the �bride� of Christ, and are the body of persons whom Christ takes into a covenant for the Kingdom, to rule with Him. (John 3:29; 2Cor 11:2; Rev 21:9; Luke 22:29; Rev 1:4-6; 5:9, 10; 20:6) The purpose of the new covenant requires that it continue in operation until all of the �Israel of God� are resurrected to immortality in the heavens.

Date Posted: 29 May 2008 at 2:28am
Could you explain in easier terms please. Do you consider that Jesus could have been married?

-------------
some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set

Date Posted: 29 May 2008 at 9:59am

Could you explain in easier terms please. Do you consider that Jesus could have been married?

Only a 144,000 of his follower will make up his symbolic wife and become kings with him in heaven to form the kingdom of God!

Date Posted: 30 May 2008 at 3:13am
You still havent answered my question. Did Jesus have a wife here on earth?

-------------

Posted By: Mystical
Date Posted: 02 June 2008 at 3:15pm
Martha: Believing it "logical" that Jesus had a wife does not make it a fact. robin above is a Jehovahs Witness and not a Christian in the true sense of the word. JW's DO NOT believe in the divinity of Jesus which is the foundation of Christianity. As logical as it is for you to ASSUME Jesus was married it is more illogical for me, as a Chrisitian, to assume He was when the gospels and other Scriptures in the NT are quiet on this topic.

For a Christian, Jesus is the Word Incarnate, God made flesh. To put it simply Jesus is God. He came (sent by the Father) to shed His Precious Blood in atonement for the sins of humanity. Jesus did not come to enjoy an earthly life and beget a family. He came that we may have life.

I do however understand that as a Muslim you do not believe Jesus as the Son of God, you view Him as a mere prophet so it's fair to question whether He was married or not. But there is NO EVIDENCE that points to Him being married. I seen it elsewhere on this forum that marriage is an act of worship Wacko how so? and worship of whom? Worship is reserved for God alone. 

As His purpose in coming as a human being was to fulfil the scriptures He inspired earlier (amongst which "like a lamb He was led to slaughter") marriage was not in the equation. He came not to fall in love with one of His creation but to prove His love for the whole of humanity by taking on a physical body and all the limitations that come with being human and willingly sacrificing His life that we may believe that death has no power over Him and we can trust Him what He said and says completely.  

Cheers

robin: no offence but the 144 000 his symbolic wife? It is the Church that is the Bride of Christ. And the Church is many millions of individuals both in this life and in the afterlife.

Peace

Posted By: Shasta'sAunt
Date Posted: 03 June 2008 at 1:33am
"As His purpose in coming as a human being was to fulfil the scriptures He inspired earlier (amongst which "like a lamb He was led to slaughter") marriage was not in the equation."

Could you please post the scriptures of which you speak?

-------------
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 03 June 2008 at 2:21am
Mystical said :- But there is NO EVIDENCE that points to Him being married.

And this is why I asked. A question 'off the cuff' so to speak. But just because there is no bible reference, doesnt mean he wasn't married either.
I fully understand Jesus' purpose on earth. And really, I shan't lose sleep over posing the question. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 04 June 2008 at 11:44pm

You still havent answered my question. Did Jesus have a wife here on earth?

Did Jesus have a wife here on earth?  NO.

Posted By: minuteman
Date Posted: 21 June 2008 at 8:24pm
 The real life of Isa a.s. is surrounded in mystery. I have just read the first two posts of this topis by martha and angela and enjoyed them very much. They are true to the point and they give much information.

The mystery is there all the time. Marraige is no sin. But I know that the early christians (an even now) consider the sacred husband/wife reunion as a sin. How come?

Also, the marriage of the mother of Isa a.s. is a mystery according to the bible. What she was doing and how she was living with her husband (Jospeh the Carpentar), nobody knows. Did she have other children beside the first born Jesus?

Quran does not discuss these things so we need not explore them. But we have to look into the bible NT for all these things. There must be information there. But NOthing. There is only sentiments.

-------------
If any one is bad some one must suffer

Date Posted: 04 July 2008 at 1:08am

Jesus Christ compared himself with a bridegroom in a parable that he spoke. This was the parable of the "marriage feast" that a king prepared for his son, and this son stood for the Son of the great King of Eternity, Jehovah God. (Matthew 22:1-14)

In the Revelation, which Jesus Christ received from God and transmitted to the apostle John, Jesus as the Lamb of God is likened to a bridegroom who gets married to the congregation of his disciples, in these words: "Let us rejoice and be overjoyed, and let us give him the glory, because the marriage of the Lamb has arrived and his wife has prepared herself. Yes, it has been granted to her to be arrayed in bright, clean, fine linen, for the fine linen stands for the righteous acts of the holy ones. . . . Write: Happy are those invited to the evening meal of the Lamb�s marriage." Furthermore, the apostle John tells of an angel who came to him and says:

20 "He spoke with me and said: �Come here, I will show you the bride, the Lamb�s wife.� So he carried me away in the power of the spirit to a great and lofty mountain, and he showed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God and having the glory of God." �Revelation 19:7-9; 21:9-11.

Posted By: seekn
Date Posted: 05 July 2008 at 6:24pm
Assalamu Alikum,

"Many Ahadith specify that after his descension he will get married and have children and remain on the earth for a period of 19 years after his marriage." - According to Shaykh Ahmad Ali Al Ma'hadul Islami - Islamic Academy
http://www.inter-islam.org/faith/Majorsigns.html#marriage

"After his descension on earth, Hadhrat Isa (A.S.) will marry. He will have children, and he will remain on earth 19 years after marriage. He will pass away and Muslims will perform his Janaza Salaat and bury him net to Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam). (Tirmidhi)
http://www.central-mosque.com/signs/TheComingOfIsa.htm - under Topic; "
His Marriage, Death and Deputies"

-------------
"He will not be asked about what He does, but they will be asked." (al-Anbiya' 21: 23)

Posted By: Nazarene
Date Posted: 22 September 2008 at 7:55pm
yes
 the following is from "the gospel of phillip" take it as you wish.

There were three who always walked with the Lord: Mary, his mother, and her sister, and Magdalene, the one who was called his companion. His sister and his mother and his companion were each a Mary

As for the Wisdom who is called "the barren," she is the mother of the angels. And the companion of the savior is Mary Magdalene. The Lord loved her more than all the disciples, and used to kiss her often on her lips. The rest of the disciples saw him lovivg Mary they said to him "Why do you love her more than all of us?" The Savior answered and said to them,"Why do I not love you like her? When a blind man and one who sees are both together in darkness, they are no different from one another. When the light comes, then he who sees will see the light, and he who is blind will remain in darkness."

For it is by a kiss that the perfect conceive and give birth. For this reason we also kiss one another. We receive conception from the grace which is in one another

No one can know when the husband and the wife have intercourse with one another, except the two of them. Indeed, marriage in the world is a mystery for those who have taken a wife. If there is a hidden quality to the marriage of defilement, how much more is the undefiled marriage a true mystery! It is not fleshly, but pure. It belongs not to desire, but to the will. It belongs not to the darkness or the night, but to the day and the light. If a marriage is open to the public, it has become prostitution, and the bride plays the harlot not only when she is impregnated by another man, but even if she slips out of her bedroom and is seen. Let her show herself only to her father and her mother, and to the friend of the bridegroom and the sons of the bridegroom. These are permitted to enter every day into the bridal chamber. But let the others yearn just to listen to her voice and to enjoy her ointment, and let them feed from the crumbs that fall from the table, like the dogs. Bridegrooms and brides belong to the bridal chamber. No one shall be able to see the bridegroom with the bride unless he become such a one

There is the Son of Man and there is the son of the Son of Man. The Lord is the Son of Man, and the son of the Son of Man is he who creates through the Son of Man. The Son of Man received from God the capacity to create. He also has the ability to beget. He who has received the ability to create is a creature. He who has received the ability to beget is an offspring. He who creates cannot beget. He who begets also has power to create. Now they say, "He who creates begets". But his so-called "offspring" is merely a creature. Because of [...] of birth, they are not his offspring but [...]. He who creates works openly, and he himself is visible. He who begets, begets in private, and he himself is hidden, since [...] image. Also, he who creates, creates openly. But one who begets, begets children in private

Mary is the virgin whom no power defiled. She is a great anathema to the Hebrews, who are the apostles and the apostolic men. This virgin whom no power defiled rests in silence while the powers defile themselves.

the HOLY TWELVE (LECTION VI- 6 )

. And they marvelled, and one passing by heard it, and he said, Yea, truly, ye have chosen well, for he is a comely child and of great nobility.
13. AND in the eighteenth year of his age, Yeshua was espoused unto Miriam, a virgin of the tribe of Judah with whom he lived seven years, and she died, for God took her, that he might go on to the higher things which he had to do, and to suffer for the sons and daughters of men.

(LECTION LXVI ie- 66)
 9. Again I say unto you, I and My Bride are one, even as Maria Magdalena, whom I have chosen and sanctified unto Myself as a type, is one with Me; I and My Church are One. And the Church is the elect of humanity for the salvation of all

peace to all
leland

-------------
love for all conquers all

Posted By: honeto
Date Posted: 13 November 2008 at 1:03pm
Interesting topic,
as a matter of fact we do not have any reliable source to confirm or deny that Jesus was married.
However, as someone holding prophetic office and as a teacher, like all of God's prophets who lived an example for others to follow, it will seem nieve to think that he would stay single. That to me seem unnatural of a charachteristic for a prophet of God.
Only God knows the truth, and we will have to wait until He reveals that to us.
Hasan

-------------
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Date Posted: 14 July 2009 at 7:53pm
salaam

this struck me as i was reading for another topic.

in jewish tradition or even jewish law i once was told that it was the women in the dead persons immediate family responsibility to annoint and prepare the body after death.
so if this is true..... WHAT IS MARY MAGDALENE DOING THERE?WHO WAS SHE TO BE ABLE TO BE A PART IN THIS " FAMILY ONLY RITE?? the other women here are his mother mary{"mother of james" his brother} and SALOME his sister. so who is MARY MAGDALENE to be in such company??

is this biblical proof of his marrage?

MARK 16
1When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices so that they might go to anoint Jesus' body. 2Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to the tomb 3and they asked each other, "Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?"
love
leland

-------------

Posted By: Angel
Date Posted: 16 July 2009 at 7:52pm
interesting point

-------------
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~

Posted By: Akhe Abdullah
Date Posted: 16 July 2009 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by robin robin wrote:

Only a 144,000 of his follower will make up his symbolic wife and become kings with him in heaven to form the kingdom of God!
WHAT?

Posted By: Akhe Abdullah
Date Posted: 16 July 2009 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by seekn seekn wrote:

Assalamu Alikum,

"Many Ahadith specify that after his
descension he will get married and have children and remain on the earth for a
period of 19 years after his marriage." - According to Shaykh Ahmad Ali Al Ma'hadul Islami - Islamic
Academyhttp://www.inter-islam.org/faith/Majorsigns.html#marriage
"After his descension on earth, Hadhrat
Isa (A.S.) will marry. He will have children, and he will remain on earth 19
years after marriage. He will pass away and Muslims will perform his Janaza
Salaat and bury him net to Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam). (Tirmidhi)http://www.central-mosque.com/signs/TheComingOfIsa.htm - under Topic; "
His Marriage, Death
and Deputies"

Wa Alaikum As Salam wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatu.Welcome to Icf!JazakAllah Kheiran for your rely.Will Isa(AS)marry the nuns?

Date Posted: 16 July 2009 at 10:27pm
Interesting this topic has re-surfaced after so longSmile

I think we all accept that the Bible has parts missing and could explain why the marriage of Jesus (if there was one) is not mentioned.

To me it would make sense if he had a wife. All other prophets had so why not him. Despite being a previous Christian I never believed that Jesus was God. Some Christian religions do, but the one I followed did not.

Jesus certainly had other half siblings..real  children from the marriage of Mary and Joseph.

-------------

Posted By: Sign*Reader
Date Posted: 17 July 2009 at 2:55pm

I think we all accept that the Bible has parts missing and could explain why the marriage of Jesus (if there was one) is not mentioned.

To me it would make sense if he had a wife. All other prophets had so why not him. Despite being a previous Christian I never believed that Jesus was God. Some Christian religions do, but the one I followed did not.

Jesus certainly had other half siblings..real  children from the marriage of Mary and Joseph.

Any proof that Jesus had half siblings or it is based on" 'These are my mother and my brothers. Whoever does the will of God is my brother, and sister, and mother.'" This is a generalized situation about any group of believers!

If Mary had more chidren than the whole Virgin Mary cult would be moot!

IMHO Jesus's birth without sperm was a clear sign to the Israelite that it was an of the road of prophet hood in their
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_%28mother_of_Jesus%29#cite_note-16 - line and the next one would be in Ishmaelites!
If you notice the Israelites had been getting the prophets in father/son or brother/ brother combos...

-------------
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.

Date Posted: 17 July 2009 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Sign*Reader Sign*Reader wrote:

Any proof that Jesus had half siblings or it is based on" 'These are my mother and my brothers. Whoever does the will of God is my brother, and sister, and mother.'" This is a generalized situation about any group of believers!

If Mary had more chidren than the whole Virgin Mary cult would be moot!

IMHO Jesus's birth without sperm was a clear sign to the Israelite that it was an of the road of prophet hood in their
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_%28mother_of_Jesus%29#cite_note-16 - line and the next one would be in Ishmaelites!
If you notice the Israelites had been getting the prophets in father/son or brother/ brother combos...
peace
here some quotes to help clear things up on this.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=48&chapter=6&verse=3&version=50&context=verse - Mark 6:3
Is this not the carpenter, the Son of Mary, and brother of James, Joses, Judas, and Simon? And are not His sisters here with us?� So they were offended at Him.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=48&chapter=6&verse=2&end_verse=4&version=50&context=context - Mark 6:2-4 (in Context) http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=48&chapter=6&version=50&context=chapter - Mark 6 (Whole Chapter)

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=48&chapter=15&verse=40&version=50&context=verse - Mark 15:40
There were also women looking on from afar, among whom were Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James the Less and of Joses, and Salome,

-------------

Date Posted: 17 July 2009 at 9:50pm
Some more bible references for you

1. http://scriptures.lds.org/en/tg/j/matt/12/46#46 - Matt. 12: 46
  2. http://scriptures.lds.org/en/tg/j/matt/13/55#55 - Matt. 13: 55
  3. http://scriptures.lds.org/en/tg/j/mark/3/31#31 - Mark 3: 31
  4. http://scriptures.lds.org/en/tg/j/mark/6/3#3 - Mark 6: 3
  5. http://scriptures.lds.org/en/tg/j/luke/8/19#19 - Luke 8: 19
  6. http://scriptures.lds.org/en/tg/j/john/2/12#12 - John 2: 12
  7. http://scriptures.lds.org/en/tg/j/john/19/27#27 - John 19: 27
  8. http://scriptures.lds.org/en/tg/j/acts/1/14#14 - Acts 1: 14
  9. http://scriptures.lds.org/en/tg/j/gal/1/19#19 - Gal. 1: 19
If Mary had more chidren than the whole Virgin Mary cult would be moot! (sign*reader)

As far as the Catholics are concerned 'yes' would be my answer. However it is not mine. Mary was a Virgin when she was pregnant with Jesus. She married Joseph whilst pregnant and he did not have a sexual relationship with her until after the birth of Jesus. After that time Mary and Joseph led a typical married life just like any other married couple

-------------

Posted By: shalek
Date Posted: 28 November 2012 at 3:57am

-----------------

MATT 13:53-58

-----------------

53 Now it came to pass, when Jesus had finished these parables, that He departed from there. 54 When He had come to His own country, He taught them in their synagogue, so that they were astonished and said, �Where did this Man get this wisdom and these mighty works? 55 Is this not the carpenter�s son? Is not His mother called Mary? And His brothers James, Joses, "#fen-NKJV-23595h" - h ]">[ http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+13&version=NKJV#fen-NKJV-23595h - h ] Simon, and Judas? 56 And His sisters, are they not all with us? Where then did this Man get all these things?� 57 So they were offended at Him.

But Jesus said to them, �A prophet is not without honor except in his own country and in his own house.� 58 Now He did not do many mighty works there because of their unbelief
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JESUS IS A PROPHET AND NOT GOD

And if you still dont believe, he said it all in verse 15

�Hearing you will hear and shall not understand,
And seeing you will see and not perceive;
15 For the hearts of this people have grown dull.
Their ears are hard of hearing,
And their eyes they have closed,
Lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears,
Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn,
So that I should "#fen-NKJV-23555a" - a ]">[ http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+13&version=NKJV#fen-NKJV-23555a - a ] heal them`

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net