IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > Current Events
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why is this offensive?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy is this offensive?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2007 at 11:39pm

While i agree that you should learn about a country & people that you're going to.......

The teddy bear was named after a student not the prophet. As i said earlier many people have the name Muhammed, spelt in varies ways.

Student defends teacher jailed in Sudan

November 28, 2007 - 2:33PM

A 7-year-old Sudanese student today defended his British teacher accused of insulting Islam saying he had chosen to call a teddy bear Mohammad after his own name.

Gillian Gibbons, a 54-year-old teacher at the Unity High School in Khartoum, was arrested on Sunday after complaints from parents that she had insulted the Prophet Mohammad and is facing a third night in jail without being charged.

"The teacher asked me what I wanted to call the teddy," the boy said shyly, his voice barely rising above a whisper. "I said Mohammad. I named it after my name," he added.

Sitting in his garden wearing shorts, his family, who did not want their full names used, urged him to describe what had happened.

He said he was not thinking of Islam's Prophet when asked to suggest a name, adding most of the class agreed with his choice.

In a writing exercise students were asked to keep a diary of what they did with the teddy bear. "Some people took the teddy home and took it places with them ... like the swimming pool," the child said.

Mohammad said Gibbons was "very nice" and he would be upset if she never came back to teach. He added Gibbons had not discussed religion nor did she mention the Prophet.

"We studied maths and English and spelling," he said, rubbing his mop of short, curly hair.

Abdel Rahim Ahmed Abdel Rahim from the Sudan police force's Criminal Investigation Directorate said today a decision whether to charge Gibbons with insulting Islam would be made once investigations were completed.

"She is being questioned. Then the whole matter is going to be evaluated to see whether she is going to be charged or not," he said.

If convicted of insulting Islam, Gibbons could be sentenced to 40 lashes, six months in prison or a fine, lawyers said.

Teaching colleagues and officials from the British embassy brought food for Gibbons but were not allowed to visit her.

Mohammad's family said they got most of their information from the papers after the school was closed early yesterday.

"I'm annoyed ... that this has escalated in this way," his mother said. "If it happened as Mohammad said there is no problem here - it was not intended."

His uncle said little Mohammad was a good Muslim and was already praying five times a day. "We want to also hear her side of the story," he added. Both declined to reveal their full names.

Unity director Robert Boulos had said the school would be closed until January because he was afraid of reprisals in mainly Muslim Khartoum.

In 2005 a Sudanese paper was closed for three months and its editor arrested for reprinting articles questioning the roots of the Prophet Mohammad, a move which prompted angry protests.

Al-Wifaq editor Mohamed Taha was later abducted from his home by armed men and beheaded.

Sudan's justice minister declined to immediately comment.

A spokesman from the Sudanese embassy in London later said Gibbons would probably be cleared and released soon.

"The police is (sic) bound to investigate," embassy spokesman Khalid al-Mubarak told BBC radio.

"I am pretty certain that this minute incident will be clarified very quickly and this teacher who has been helping us with the teaching of children will be safe and will be cleared."

Asked about the potential punishments he said: "My impression is that the whole thing could probably be settled amicably long before we reach stages like these ... Our relationship with Britain is so good that we wouldn't like such a minute event to be overblown."

Reuters

This story was found at: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2007/11/28/1196036959913.h tml

Edited by Angel
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
OSCAR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2007 at 1:48am

in the west nothing apart from money is sacred and important enough to be defended.

in other countries religion and ideology is sacred and very important and is defended.

which is best 

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2007 at 2:03am
Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

While i agree that you should learn about a country & people that you're going to.......

The teddy bear was named after a student not the prophet. As i said earlier many people have the name Muhammed, spelt in varies ways.

Student defends teacher jailed in Sudan

November 28, 2007 - 2:33PM

A 7-year-old Sudanese student today defended his British teacher accused of insulting Islam saying he had chosen to call a teddy bear Mohammad after his own name.

Gillian Gibbons, a 54-year-old teacher at the Unity High School in Khartoum, was arrested on Sunday after complaints from parents that she had insulted the Prophet Mohammad and is facing a third night in jail without being charged.

"The teacher asked me what I wanted to call the teddy," the boy said shyly, his voice barely rising above a whisper. "I said Mohammad. I named it after my name," he added.

Sitting in his garden wearing shorts, his family, who did not want their full names used, urged him to describe what had happened.

He said he was not thinking of Islam's Prophet when asked to suggest a name, adding most of the class agreed with his choice.

In a writing exercise students were asked to keep a diary of what they did with the teddy bear. "Some people took the teddy home and took it places with them ... like the swimming pool," the child said.

Mohammad said Gibbons was "very nice" and he would be upset if she never came back to teach. He added Gibbons had not discussed religion nor did she mention the Prophet.

"We studied maths and English and spelling," he said, rubbing his mop of short, curly hair.

Abdel Rahim Ahmed Abdel Rahim from the Sudan police force's Criminal Investigation Directorate said today a decision whether to charge Gibbons with insulting Islam would be made once investigations were completed.

"She is being questioned. Then the whole matter is going to be evaluated to see whether she is going to be charged or not," he said.

If convicted of insulting Islam, Gibbons could be sentenced to 40 lashes, six months in prison or a fine, lawyers said.

Teaching colleagues and officials from the British embassy brought food for Gibbons but were not allowed to visit her.

Mohammad's family said they got most of their information from the papers after the school was closed early yesterday.

"I'm annoyed ... that this has escalated in this way," his mother said. "If it happened as Mohammad said there is no problem here - it was not intended."

His uncle said little Mohammad was a good Muslim and was already praying five times a day. "We want to also hear her side of the story," he added. Both declined to reveal their full names.

Unity director Robert Boulos had said the school would be closed until January because he was afraid of reprisals in mainly Muslim Khartoum.

In 2005 a Sudanese paper was closed for three months and its editor arrested for reprinting articles questioning the roots of the Prophet Mohammad, a move which prompted angry protests.

Al-Wifaq editor Mohamed Taha was later abducted from his home by armed men and beheaded.

Sudan's justice minister declined to immediately comment.

A spokesman from the Sudanese embassy in London later said Gibbons would probably be cleared and released soon.

"The police is (sic) bound to investigate," embassy spokesman Khalid al-Mubarak told BBC radio.

"I am pretty certain that this minute incident will be clarified very quickly and this teacher who has been helping us with the teaching of children will be safe and will be cleared."

Asked about the potential punishments he said: "My impression is that the whole thing could probably be settled amicably long before we reach stages like these ... Our relationship with Britain is so good that we wouldn't like such a minute event to be overblown."

Reuters

This story was found at: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2007/11/28/1196036959913.h tml

Salaams,

Even the possibility of 40 lashes is wildly unreasonable.  She should never have been jailed, but possibly suspended until this could be investigated.  Why so harsh?  And since she is in jail, she definitely should be allowed visitors.  If it were reasonably proven by the preponderance of the evidence that she intended insult, which at this moment nothing points to, then she should just be fired and possibly fined and sent home.

As a new Muslim years ago, I could have made a similar mistake, most of us could have.  Come on!  We need to be realistic.  I probably wouldn't have because of the idea that I grew up somehow knowing that we wouldn't name a toy "Jesus".  Native English American speakers don't often name their children "Jesus" unless they are Muslims.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
OSCAR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2007 at 2:10pm
Sudan has no priorities they should stop civil war in there own country before they make a big deal over something petty and unintentional, they are thick
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2007 at 6:33pm

The teacher is being charged with insulting islam and spreading hatred.

Teddy-bear teacher charged with insulting religion

Thursday Nov 29 05:59 AEDT

Britain is to summon Sudan's ambassador for urgent talks after a British teacher was charged with insulting religion in Khartoum, a spokesman said, voicing disappointment at the move.

As the case escalated into a full-blown diplomatic incident, a spokesman said Foreign Secretary David Miliband wants an explanation for the decision to charge Gillian Gibbons over letting pupils name a teddy bear "Mohammed".

"We are surprised and disappointed by this development and the Foreign Secretary will summon as a matter of urgency the Sudanese ambassador to discuss the matter further," said a spokesman for Prime Minister Gordon Brown.

The purpose of the meeting was "so we can get a clear explanation for the rationale behind the charges and a sense of what the next steps might be," he said. "We will consider our response in the light of that," he added.

A Foreign Office spokesman said the ambassador is likely to be called in by the minister on Thursday.

Gibbons, 54, has been in custody for three days after being arrested in Khartoum because parents complained that in allowing pupils at an expensive English school to name the bear Mohammed she was insulting the Muslim Prophet.

The Foreign Office confirmed that she had been charged with "insulting religion and inciting hatred."

If found guilty under the article � publicly insulting or degrading any religion, its rites, beliefs and sacred items or humiliating its believers � she would face up to six months in jail, 40 lashes and a fine.

Prime Minister Brown said on Tuesday that British authorities were in touch with Sudanese police to "ascertain that (Gibbons) is safe and well and to clarify the position so that she can be released soon".

For devout Muslims, any physical depiction of Mohammed is blasphemous and strictly forbidden.

There has been some speculation that the mother-of-two, who had only been in Sudan since leaving England in July, could also be charged with sedition, a far more serious charge than insulting Muslims.

Meanwhile Sudan's embassy in London said the affair could still be resolved amicably � but underlined the cultural differences behind the decision to charge Gibbons.

"We still say that it can be resolved in an amicable way through a fair hearing and fear investigation and fair legal system," embassy spokesman Khalid al Mubarak told the BBC.

The head of the Muslim Council of Britain said he was "appalled" at the decision to charge Gibbons.

"This is a disgraceful decision and defies common sense," said Muhammad Abdul Bari. "There was clearly no intention on the part of the teacher to deliberately insult the Islamic faith.

"We call upon the Sudanese President Umar al-Bashir to intervene in this case without delay to ensure that Ms Gibbons is freed from this quite shameful ordeal," he added.

The Sudanese embassy spokesman declined to comment on the indictment. "It's not for me to say if it's sensible or not. This is now in front of the law and I should not interfere in the case or try to influence it in any way," he said.

"But a teddy bear in your culture is different from a teddy bear in our culture," he said.

"In our culture a teddy bear is a wild and dangerous animal. It's not something to be cuddled by children before they sleep. This is important to remember," he said.

As much as I feel for the teacher, i feel sorry for the kids to who are also pretty much at the centre of this. This is not just about the adults its the kids too. What does this teach them?!

Edited by Angel
Chelle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2007 at 7:55pm

"But a teddy bear in your culture is different from a teddy bear in our culture," he said.

"In our culture a teddy bear is a wild and dangerous animal. It's not something to be cuddled by children before they sleep. This is important to remember," he said.

THis is a really good point.  It's not like the children were giving the name of Muhammad to a wild, vicious killer bear.  They were giving the name of Muhammad to a creature which comforts them and makes them feel safe.  How is that bad or disrespectful?

Daniel Dworsky View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2007 at 8:51pm
This woman acted thoughtlessly and the Sudanese answered her ignorance
with out wisdom or discretion. I should think thier first concern would be
for the seven year old Muhamad
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2007 at 8:46pm

'Teddy' teacher jailed for 15 days in Sudan

Friday Nov 30 05:34 AEDT

A British teacher accused of insulting Muslims after her class called a teddy bear Mohammad was found guilty and jailed for 15 days, a defence lawyer said.

Gillian Gibbons, 54, was ordered to be deported after she had completed her sentence.

"She was found guilty of insulting religion and the sentence is 15 days (in jail) and deportation," defence lawyer Ali Ajib said after the trial in a Khartoum courtroom, which lasted less than a day.

Robert Boulos, head of Unity high school where Gibbons worked, said: "We are happy with the verdict. It is fair. There were a lot of political pressures and attention."

He added: "We will be very sad to lose her."

When asked what he thought of the verdict, the head of Gibbons's defence teams, Kamal al-Jazouli, said: "It was not bad."

Gibbons was on Wednesday charged with insulting Islam, inciting hatred and showing contempt for religious beliefs because of the toy's name. Under Sudan's penal code, she could have faced 40 lashes, a fine, or up to one year in jail.

In court, judge Mohammed Youssef listened to two accounts � one from school secretary Sarah Khawad, who filed the first complaint about the teddy bear's name, and one from the official who has been investigating the case, court sources said.

Teachers at the school say that calling the teddy bear Mohammad, the name of the prophet of Islam, was not her idea in the first place and that no parents objected when Unity High School sent parents circulars about a reading project which included the teddy bear as a fictional participant.

In London, British Foreign Secretary David Miliband had earlier told the Sudanese ambassador he was concerned about Gibbons.

"We believe that this was an innocent misunderstanding," Miliband said in a statement.

Sudan has had poor relations with Britain, the United States and most European countries for several years, mainly because of their disagreements over how to handle the conflict in the Darfur region in western Sudan.

The U.N. Security Council, of which Britain is a permanent member, wants to deploy a joint U.N.-African force to Darfur to restore order and help displaced people return home. Khartoum reluctantly agreed but is disputing many details.

Several British Muslim groups said they supported Gibbons.

"This (charging Gibbons) is a disgraceful decision and defies common sense. There was clearly no intention on the part of the teacher to deliberately insult the Islamic faith," said Muhammad Abdul Bari, Secretary-General of the MCB, Britain's largest Muslim organisation.

------------------------------------------------------------ --

"I'm utterly disappointed with this decision. We have been calling on the Sudanese authorities to show leniency, that this was a case of an innocent oversight, a misunderstanding, and there was no need for this to ... be escalated," said Ibrahim Mogra of the Muslim Council of Britain, the country's largest Muslim organisation.

"We are very hopeful that perhaps the appeals process will be more successful."

"The question that I would want the judiciary there and the authorities to ponder over is: How does this help the cause of Islam? What kind of message and image are we portraying about our religion and our culture?"

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/sudanese-court-jails-ted dy-teacher/2007/11/30/1196037107078.html

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic