IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islamic INTRAfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sunni Shiite Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sunni Shiite Islam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unity1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2005 at 9:28am

Asalam Aalaikum

Dear Brothers

It is difficult to trace the exact date when Shias and Sunnis seperated from each other but it is an established fact that the history of Shias and Sunnis is full of civil conflicts.

Their are several differences between Shias and Sunnis ,some of those differences are as follows:

1) Shias unlike Sunnis donot accept the Caliphate of the 1st three rightly guided Caliphes (Leaders or Successors),those rightly guided Caliphes are :

a)Abu Bakr(Ra) who became the 1st Caliph of Islam after the demise of Prophet Muhammad(pbuh).

b)Umar(Ra) who became the next Caliph of Islam after the death of Abu Bakr(Ra).

c)Usman(Ra) who became the next Caliph of Islam after the death of Umar(Ra).

The 4th Caliph of Islam was Ali(Ra) on whose Caliphate both Shias and Sunnis agreed.

Shias claim that after the demise of Prophet Muhammad(pbuh), Ali(Ra) should have become the 1st Caliph of Islam not Abu Bakr(Ra) since according to their concept, Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) before his demise appointed Ali(Ra) as his successor and they support their claim from Sunni Sources of Traditions when required. But Sunnis unlike Shias donot believe in such concepts, they believe that Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) before his demise didnot declare and appoint any one as his successor and the matter of successorship(Leadership) should be settled by mutual consultation(Shurah).

Shias believe that Ali(Ra) was appointed as a spiritual Imam(Leader) of the Muslims by Prophet(pbuh) on the wish of Allah(swt) and donot believe in the Concept of mutual consultation (Shura) only on this matter.
According to their understanding and viewpoint a chain of Imamate started right after the demise of Prophet(pbuh) which will continue till the day of judgment.

Their Imams are 12 in number ,starting from Imam Ali(Ra) and continuing till Imam Mehdi who is the last (12th)Imam of Shias and all these 12 Imams came from the family of Prophet Muhammad(pbuh).Please note that not all Shias believe in these 12 Imams, only Imami(Jaffri)Shias believe in these 12 Imams, other Shias have differences of opinion on the number of Imams.

According to their doctrine Imam Mehdi went into occultation(Ghayba) 1000s of years ago and will return before the day of judgment to wipe out evil and injustice from this world.

Sunnis on contrary donot believe in this doctrine ,they believe that after the death of Prophet Muhammad(pbuh),the matter of leadership went into the hands of the Muslim Ummah which should be decided by the Muslims through mutual consultation(Shura), in other words we can say that this matter of leadership is political one for Sunnis.

Shias practice Matam(Self beating and mourning). Shias have been practicing Matam for Centuries on the death of Imam Hussain(Ra) the 3rd Imam of Shias and the members of his family.
They perform Matam to show their love for Imam Hussain(Ra) and his family.

Sunnis on contrary donot practice Matam and hold it haram because such acts of self beating and mourning are not supported by any authentic sources of Islam and these acts were performed during the days of ignorance.

Shias practice Mutah(Temperory Marriage Contract). This kind of contract marriage is only practiced in Shia sect, no other sect in Islam allows such practice.

Mutah(Temperory Marriage Contract) means that a man marries a women for a specific period ,eg for 2 ,3 or 4 years upon which both partners agree.

Sunnis donot practice Mutah (Temperory Marriage Contract) and consider it against Shariah, they only believe in Permanent Marriage Contract that takes place between man and women which is generally practiced everywhere.

I hope some of these points that I have mentioned clearly show the picture of the difference between Shias and Sunnis.

If you are interested about the details of this history.

then study the link :

www.fordham.edu

Regards,

who call themselves superior are actually inferior in the eyes of Allah.Those who call themselves slaves of Allah are superior not only in the eyes of Allah but also superior in the eyes of man.
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2005 at 6:27am

Bismillah,

JazakAllahkhayr!

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Aliya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aliya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2005 at 7:36am

Bismillah

Salaamun alaykum

One of the best sites to learn about shia beliefs is www.al-islam.org you can find pretty much anything you want to know about shias on that site. http://www.dartabligh.org/ has a lot of books available online too.  I know some sunnis who really like www.yanabi.com but I don't know much about it so if others here do, please comment.

Wa Salaam

rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2005 at 2:41am
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

assalamau alaikum

I thought www.yanabi.com was a shia site but could not confirm it since the discussion board seems to be sunni at least in a lot of the sections, the board has so many different topics i get a head ache just looking at the list. Generaly though i like the site, the mutlimedia section is one of the best i have seen has manye xcelent lectures by people like Shakh Hamzah Yusuf.
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
Aliya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aliya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2005 at 11:23am

Bismillah

Salaamun alaykum. No yanabi is a sunni site.

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2005 at 4:47pm
Bismillah ir-Rahmaan ir-Raheem

Praise be to Allah Lord of all the Worlds!

I am neither Sunni nor Shiite nor subscribe to any tenants that
are categorized as a "sect" in Islam. allah says to not divide
ourselves which also includes having names additonal to
being
Muslim i.e Sunni, Shiite Sufi e.t.c. Though many of you my
noble brethren may subscribe to such thoughts just a friendly
reminder that we must stand before Allah on the Last Day an
explain why we are who we are and why we blong to a sect for
Muhamad (Sallah wa Alayhi Wa Salaam) was neither Sunni,
nor Shiite nor Sufi. If so what part of this Islam did I miss?
So stress the utter importance for reform.
jalillah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jalillah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2005 at 10:15am
[QUOTE=Shamiala]

Salam brothers and sisters.

i have recently been doing some research regaarding sects in Islam in particular the Sunni and the Shiite. when doing my research i have managed to gather alot of literature with regard to Shiite beliefs. i have not fully identified what the Sunni's believe in yet. if anybody could guide me as to any books or internet websites that may be of use please let me know.

Thank you

Any help will be much appreciated

Allah Hafiz

[jalillah/QUOTE's] I have no books for shiite or sunni's but one thing I could say is this its mention in one of the sura's let me first start by saying... bissmillah-hirrahman-nirrahim..allah for give me if I make mistake or error in memorising this verse I'm about to say...as follow that their will be one of the same faith of which they will wage war with one another,shed blood against each other...something along these sentence.. but my understanding of allah words  is what allah prevails in his  marvelous Quran..is the sunna and his surrah's nothing more or nothing less.. the  extra's is optional... sorry I know is in english...inshaallah I hope I'll be able to say it in arabic and memorize by verse.. by the way I thouht to just mention one more thing also allah said that there is 70 thousand pios muslim only one will enter jannah...

Edited by jalillah
May Allah Bless those who seek the truth......Allah Stands Alone in truth..
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2005 at 11:28pm
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

assalamu alaikum Jalillah

visit http://www.almadinamasjid.org/ there you will find

bullet

Aqeedah of Ahlus-Sunnah wal Jama'a (Al-Aqeedah At-Tahawiyyah)

bullet

Saheefa (Obligatory portion of the Fiqh of Imam Al-Azam Abu Hanifah - RA)

bullet

Book of Imam Nawawi

bullet

Al-Fiqh Al-Akbar by Imam Al-Azam Abu Hanifa (RA)

These are clasical Islamic manuals written by traditional muslim scholars who's rank is agreed upon by the scholars of this ummah. Fiqh Al Akbar  and the Saheefa is probably a good place to start.

(Al-Aqeedah At-Tahawiyyah) is one of the traditional Sunni aqeedah but this work is long if you would like a sumarised version visit http://alghazzali.org/display/faith, they also have Ashari Aqeedah another traditional sunni aqeedah, you will notice the differences are very little.

If this is not what you are looking for let me know and insha allah i can help.
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic