IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > Current Events
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - S. Korean hostages beaten for Christ  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

S. Korean hostages beaten for Christ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2007 at 6:28am
Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

Tom,

The South Koreans went to Afghanistan as aid workers, not even as missionaries. So while they were going there as Christians, they were not verbally prosyletizing.

A question? How do you know? Do you know these people? I am sure you know some people go under the cover of "aid" workers to go and "spread the word." How are you so sure that they did none of this?

There is an article about that which I posted earlier in the thread but I will bring it up again: http://www.opinionjournal.com/taste/?id=110010420

The excerpt about what they were doing can be found here:

The people taken hostage in Afghanistan were on a popular kind of tour in which church groups go on short, nonevangelical aid trips. (emphasis added be me)

As to the specific type of work they were doing, they were working with children and supplying medicine to people. They went to organize "medical activities and activities for children," according to Kim Hyung-suk, president of the Korean Foundation for World Aid, which organized the trip.

Of course I don't know these people personally, neither do you. I am assuming the same can be said of Margaret Hassan. Since neither you or I knew her should we be making claims that she went to Iraq to convert non-Muslim Iraqis to Islam, or that she was only providing help to Muslims or people interested in becoming Muslims while using CARE as a cover? Of course not! It would be an outrageous statement to make! There is no proof that such a thing ever happened. If  anyone were to make such statements they'd better be damn sure to bring some evidence saying that she was guilty of such things.

If there is any evidence that the South Korean aid workers were indeed prosyletizing (which Muslims do too) while claiming to be aid workers or as some other posters have said trying to bribe people or working for the occupation forces, I look forward to seeing it.

So far all sources seem to indicate that they went to Afghanistan on a purely humanitarian trip with a Christian group to help Afghan people, and that during their journey they were kidnapped and physically abused before their Taleban kidnappers released them (after having killed two). They showed great witness to the Gospel by going in there to help people they did not even personally know in spite of the risks, and remarkable courage in not allowing their captors to terrorize them into renouncing their faith in Jesus.

Cristo Vive!
        - Tomasz

Edited by Tom123
palistine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palistine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2007 at 11:17am

Hello Tom, sorry for the late reply, I have been busy.

Glad to hear back from you.

i have to admit you are one of the first few Christians I would say, is Jesus like. Apparently, you guys have got plenty of work at hand to bring back the already strayed masses of Christendom, who have gone ferociously insane over the course of the last few centuries or more!  It seems to be that Jesus is superficial but the prevailing doctrine has been the conquest and domination of Rome Empire.

I agree with you among Christians claiming to be serving Jesus and sharing the Gospel with others and serving the poor there are those who actually do that�. And ere are also those who do not and are hypocrites.

Oh- this is why history has been so unfavorable in the eye of Christendom because ever since the inception of this faith who has been adapted after its messenger, it has been turned twisted and used to annihilate the indigenous inhibitors of various lands/ counties of many seemingly more loving people than the exporters of peace and  love that Jesus thought us.    

Among people who serve as missionaries there are those who do the above mentioned things��

these people have had too much of their days. It�s about time that decent and righteous Christians like your self take the podium and triumph the loving message of Jesus. Enough is enough.  

and do a lot of good, and there are those who are cynically going to defend imperialism and Western politics while falsely claiming they are doing it to serve Jesus. Among Muslims who claim to be spreading Islam there are those who do so by telling people about their faith and expressing their beliefs in good works, and there are those who bomb, behead, murder and invade others.

Sure Tome, there is good and bad in every comp, but this camp has had too much of the nasty guys who evoke the message of love but at day and turn serpents at night. Ex. Pat Roberson, who surely prays in front of his audiences but do you know that he has been secretly investing in Liberia/seara leon (sp?) which not only fueled the bloody civil war, but have contributed the lose of human life for the sake of diamond.

The South Koreans went to Afghanistan as aid workers, not even as missionaries. So while they were going there as Christians, they were not verbally prosyletizing.

Once again what evidence is there to punish anyone ,especially if that being is reluctant to speak to his/her persecutors. Let me just say that, I have been acquainted with one evangelist and they would tell me in my face that they would hide behind the cover of �humanitarian� to lure poor and suffering masses while turning a blind eye to the cause of their suffering,  Which is not only hypocritical but criminal in every sense who should be sent Hagues as the murderers who kill because they been ordered by their superiors. it is also fair to acknowledge that there are decent and  sincere Christians who fight for justice, thought I would say that they are minority and often lack influence in their own church let a lone their denomination.    

The video you showed me was about US 'missionaries' sent by the Southern Baptist Convention. Most of them are rabidly pro-war and support George Bush. They put patriotism ahead of the Gospel, which calls for love of enemies and serving the poor.

The people taken hostage in Afghanistan had nothing to do with them. It would be like comparing Muslims who preach Islam on this forum with Al Qaeda in Iraq- since both you and them claim to be wanting to spread Islam. If you can provide me with any proof that the South Koreans were working with the occupation forces or abusing Afghan people in any way, please show it to me. Otherwise, I stand by what I said previously- they were true servants of Christ and have only brought good to the people of Afghanistan whom they were serving in His name.

About my synopsis being a 'lure to the faith' let me elaborate I have been invited to this forum by a Muslim poster for interfaith discussion and while I am here I also engage in other forms of discussion with people here. I am a Christian and am here to share my faith with Muslims on this forum and to listen to what you have to tell me about what you believe. My faith is everything in my life and extends into social justice issues. My involvement in social justice work and antiwar activism and human rights campaigning (on and off internet forums  ) is because Jesus clearly says in Scripture He expects this of His followers. I do not separate my faith from my activism or anything else in my life.  

The term 'lure' was not being referred to you, but iam addressing the issue with in the context of the missionaries who are out as humanitarians but are really there to convert people. Furthermore, It does not concern me the color of your skin/ creed/ gender as long us we are all for justice. You have every right to practice and preach your faith as long as iam not forced upon it.    

Nice exchanging views with you. Take care and all the best. Assalamu Alaikum.

Its been nice to exchange views with you as well. God bless and take care.

Palestine

Edited by palistine
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
  Share Topic