Forum Description: Current Events
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10178
Printed Date: 20 April 2024 at 3:19am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: S. Korean hostages beaten for Christ
Posted By: Tom123
Subject: S. Korean hostages beaten for Christ
Date Posted: 03 September 2007 at 8:17am
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070903/wl_sthasia_afp/afghanis tanunrestskoreakidnap_070903115043;_ylt=AtT1ughjgkQjbif2qcc8 APfOVooA

May their courageous Christian witness be an example to us all. They followed Jesus by going into a warzone and extending a helping hand to people tyrannized by poverty and war.

Upon capture, some of the men were ordered to renounce their faith in Christ and convert to Islam. They refused and were severely beaten. They also stood by their sisters in Christ and refused to abandon them, even though this earned them more beatings.

I find it shocking how after all they have gone through their courageous witness is subject to so much condemnation by their government and society. Instead of support they are being criticized and lambasted for going into this impoverished country to help its people. I can only imagine how painful this must be for them, perhaps even more that the blind and idiotic hatred of the Taleban from whom perhaps little else could be expected. I would have thought though that a country that prides itself in being working for 'democracy' in the world would not be condemning its citizens who went in courageusly and without regard for their own safety to help people who the 'war on terror' is supposedly 'liberating'.  

I think we need to keep them in our prayers. May their strong faith that carried them through their captivity in Afghanistan continue to allow them overcome these obstacles they are now facing. Pray that God will provide brothers and sisters in their home country who will realize the sacrifices they have made and appreciate their witness to the Gospel. May the love of their brothers and sisters drown out the hateful blather spewing from the lips from the hypocrites who spend millions to support the war on terror' but throw a fit when they need to spend a fraction of that to help their citizens who actually went to help the people of Afghanistan and carried medicine instead of automatic rifles.

May all Christians take example from them. Praise Jesus.

Cristo Vive!
         - Tomasz

Replies:
Posted By: Sawtul Khilafah
Date Posted: 03 September 2007 at 1:14pm

Originally posted by Tom123 Tom123 wrote:

May their courageous Christian witness be an example to us all. They followed Jesus by going into a warzone and extending a helping hand to people tyrannized by poverty and war. 

Hahahaha, Classic!

I hope you're joking cause if you're not you probably dont have the slightest clue about what actually happened.

Upon capture, some of the men were ordered to renounce their faith in Christ and convert to Islam. They refused and were severely beaten. They also stood by their sisters in Christ and refused to abandon them, even though this earned them more beatings.

How do you "know" all this???

Posted By: Israfil
Date Posted: 03 September 2007 at 7:33pm

Tom123 I think your naive thinking has taken over your rational judgement.

These so-called christian missionaries endangered themselves by trying to preach the "word" and although in the eyes of Christendom, it is a noble act such acts alone are ignorant. God has given us intelligible faculties and the ability to utilize these faculties. I don't see why one would praise Jesus after a group just endangered themselves. So you think they should get a medal for not practicing common sense?

Posted By: Hayfa
Date Posted: 04 September 2007 at 6:10am
Tom are you really serious?

-------------
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi

Date Posted: 04 September 2007 at 6:15am
Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

These so-called christian missionaries endangered themselves by trying to preach the "word" and although in the eyes of Christendom, it is a noble act such acts alone are ignorant. God has given us intelligible faculties and the ability to utilize these faculties. I don't see why one would praise Jesus after a group just endangered themselves. So you think they should get a medal for not practicing common sense?

Israfil,

I don't know how my stance has affected my rational judgement, but I think maybe your hatred and contempt for these people may have taken over yours.

The aid workers actually went on a strictly humanitarian mission, Had they been preaching the Gospel verbally as well as helping the people materially that would have been awesome too, but they didn't.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6915268.stm
   So they were not 'preaching the word'- at least not in the way you meant it. However they were certainly preaching in a different way. By going into a warzone and providing aid to people they didn't know and whose religion they didn't even share, they were preaching Gods' love through their actions. Jesus tells Christians to reach out to people who are impoverished and oppressed- and they did exactly that.

True, they took a great risk. But then again, following Jesus was never supposed to be comfortable or safe. He said to His followers that others will hate them and persecute them for following Him.

Maybe in your eyes the hostages did not have 'common sense'. Instead of going into Afghanistan unarmed they could have joined am armed group like NATO or the Taleban and have been bombing the countryside and killing thousands of civilians as 'collateral damage' while fighting to 'liberate them'. Or they could have been doing what so many are doing- sitting on their butts from a safe and comfortable location and doing absolutely nothing.

They did neither of these. They entered Afghanistan and actually reached out to the victims of this horrific and unjust war by providing them with aid. And yes, they were kidnapped. And beaten. And two were killed.

But Jesus said that those who lose their lives for Him will gain them, and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bae_Hyeong-gyu" title="Bae Hyeong-gyu - Bae Hyeong-gyu  and Shim Seong-min http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bae_Hyeong-gyu" title="Bae Hyeong-gyu -
   have gained an eternal reward for their martyrdom. They have laid down their lives for the Gospel and have gained everything in return.

So praise Jesus!

Cristo Vive!
        - Tomasz

Date Posted: 04 September 2007 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

Tom are you really serious?

Yes.

Date Posted: 04 September 2007 at 1:28pm

Originally posted by Sawtul Khilafah Sawtul Khilafah wrote:

Hahahaha, Classic!

I hope you're joking cause if you're not you probably dont have the slightest clue about what actually happened.

So what 'actually happened', Sawtul Khilafah? What evidence can you provide me that these people were not helping the people of Afghanistan?

Even Al Jazeera says they were doing aid work.
The South Koreans, a group of church volunteers who were undertaking aid work in Afghanistan, were snatched from a bus in Ghazni province on July 20.
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/37DE2ECE-2DD1-474F-B8 E6-37D8785ACF3A.htm

I guess you find it funny when people cross borders to help victims of poverty and war and get killed, huh? Were you also laughing when Margaret Hassan was murdered in Iraq? Did that tickle you, too?

How do you "know" all this???

I provided you with sources. What sources can you provide me that say otherwise?

Cristo Vive!
         - Tomasz

Posted By: islamispeace
Date Posted: 04 September 2007 at 7:52pm
I feel that the treatment meted out to the South Koreans was wrong.  They should not have been taken hostage, and they should not have been beaten for refusing to convert to Islam.  I have to respectfully disagree with the brothers and sisters who have responded to this thread.

If those young South Koreans wanted to endanger their lives, that is their choice.  If they simply wanted to help the people of Afghanistan, and not to proselytize, then they should have been welcomed, not kidnapped.  

-------------
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 1:18am

Tom123 funny how in response to me you use the word hatred and armed as if those are things that are common to me (or common in true Islamic practice). First off I do not hate them nor do I think what they did is wrong in the sense that their intention was purely humanitarian. HOWEVER, seeing how those areas are known to be run by the Taliban and seeing how the Taliban is hostile towards non-muslims I think common sense would take over here. If they cared about doing humanitarian work and making changes why not do humanitarian work through Muslim elements why put yourself in harm's way?

Islamispeace autonomy is not synonymous with right action. Just because "it is their choice" doesn't mean it was the right choice. Judging from your poor response would you say a suicidal person has the right to kill themselves and that, it is ok because they are an autonomous human being? I would suspect not. I think these missionaries were doing so-called humanitarian work but with intention of conversion. I have friends over seas serving and basically Christian missionaries basically set up bath houses but these places are only avaliable to people who are "saved" yes real godly people eh?

Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 3:57pm

Tom123 funny how in response to me you use the word hatred and armed as if those are things that are common to me (or common in true Islamic practice). First off I do not hate them nor do I think what they did is wrong in the sense that their intention was purely humanitarian. HOWEVER, seeing how those areas are known to be run by the Taliban and seeing how the Taliban is hostile towards non-muslims I think common sense would take over here. If they cared about doing humanitarian work and making changes why not do humanitarian work through Muslim elements why put yourself in harm's way?

Islamispeace autonomy is not synonymous with right action. Just because "it is their choice" doesn't mean it was the right choice. Judging from your poor response would you say a suicidal person has the right to kill themselves and that, it is ok because they are an autonomous human being? I would suspect not. I think these missionaries were doing so-called humanitarian work but with intention of conversion. I have friends over seas serving and basically Christian missionaries basically set up bath houses but these places are only avaliable to people who are "saved" yes real godly people eh?

Hi Israfil,

I did not say that Islam is hateful, I said your words are hateful and contemptful towards these people. I am glad to hear that you do not hate them.

The South Koreans went with a Christian group because they wanted to serve the poor of Afghanistan and they wanted to bring glory to Christ. No, not by prosyletizing but when we Christians help others we believe that by our actions we are bringing glory to God.

I apologize for butting in your conversation with islamispeace, but can you provide me any proof whatsoever that the South Koreans were only helping Afghans who converted to Christianity?

A question for you though, Israfil. Say a group of Muslims working for the charity Islamic Relief entered a non-Muslim area to help non-Muslims, and were targeted by an armed group who was opposed to Islam. Say they were also kidnapped, tortured, and let's say some of these people were killed. Would you be so critical of them as well? Personally I would think they would be heroes. It takes a lot of courage to risk your life to help people you don't know.

Cristo Vive!
        - Tomasz

Date Posted: 05 September 2007 at 9:38pm

Tom123

Soldiers are heroes.

Police Officers are heroes.

Firefighters are heroes.

Religious figures are heroes.

Misguided religious idealist do not count as heroes in my book. Any group who is conscious of a dangerous warzone and knows the possibility that they may be either be permanantly incapacitated or seriously harmed but still proceeds to do the work anyway is not heroism its called st**idity. I would be equallys (and even more critical) of Muslims who proceeded to go to a non-muslim area especially if they were conscious of the consequences. Saving lives is one thing because its a moral necessity but humanitarian work can always be done without putting yourself in harm's way.

This is a similar point I was getting to with Islamispeace when he said that these korean missionaries have a choice. What I was explaining to him was that autonomy, that is, us sovereign beings, have the ability to make "free" choices but not every free choice is logical.

Tom123 even reading my criticism of those former hostages I didn't see any "hateful" words. I think your subjectively is misattributed because nothing that I've said outside my normal behavior was hateful. Hateful or hate is a strong word therefore I ask you for strong evidence showing what I said in my words that were hateful. Just because I called their actions st**id doesn't mean the word st**id is hateful. It an be an insult but its not hateful.

BTW most missionary work today is covert Christian conversion we can start with the bible belt for instance by reading this old article:

Bible Belt missionaries set out on a 'war for souls' in Iraq

Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 27/12/2003

American Christian missionaries have declared a "war for souls" in Iraq, telling supporters that the formal end of the US-led occupation next June will close an historic "window of opportunity".

Organising in secrecy, and emphasising their humanitarian aid work, Christian groups are pouring into the country, which is 97 per cent Muslim, bearing Arabic Bibles, videos and religious tracts designed to "save" Muslims from their "false" religion.

Mission from god: Jon Hanna and Jackie Cone after they visited Iraq

The International Mission Board, the missionary arm of the Southern Baptists, is one of those leading the charge.

John Brady, the IMB's head for the Middle East and North Africa, this month appealed to the 16 million members of his church, the largest Protestant denomination in America.

"Southern Baptists have prayed for years that Iraq would somehow be opened to the gospel," his appeal began. That "open door" for Christians may soon close.

"Southern Baptists must understand that there is a war for souls under way in Iraq," his bulletin added, listing Islamic leaders and "pseudo-Christian" groups also flooding Iraq as his chief rivals. talk of Muslims and Christians worshipping the same God.

Jerry Vines, former head of the Southern Baptist Convention, has described the Prophet Mohammed as a "demon-obsessed paedophile". Franklin Graham, son of Billy Graham and the head of Samaritan's Purse, a big donor to Iraq, has described Islam as a "very evil and wicked religion".

The missionaries pose a dilemma for President George W Bush. He has reached out to Muslims since September 11, shrugging off criticism from evangelicals to describe Islam as "peaceful". But Christian conservatives are also a key Bush constituency: Franklin Graham delivered the invocation prayer at his presidential inauguration.

The US Agency for International Development has said that the government cannot rein in private charities. "Imagine what the US Congress would say to us," said a spokesman in April.

Jon Hanna, an evangelical from Ohio who has recently returned from Iraq, applied for a new passport to travel there, describing himself as a humanitarian worker. "I was worried the US authorities might try to stop us, might be worried we were going to start a riot with our Bibles."

In Baghdad last month Mr Hanna met two other American missionary teams. One, from Indiana, had shipped in 1.3 million Christian tracts. "A US passport is all you need to get in, until the new Iraqi government takes over. What we thought was a two-year window, originally, has narrowed down to a six month window," said Mr Hanna, an evangelical minister and editor of Connection Magazine, a Christian newspaper in Ohio.

He describes Islam as "false". He cited St John's Gospel, saying: "Who is the liar? It is the man who denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a man is the antichrist."

Mr Hanna concluded: "The Muslim religion is an antichrist religion." Later Mr Hanna asked to retract that choice of words. "Without the reader hearing my voice and looking into my eyes as I made that statement, it would be easy for certain readers to feel personally attacked and be offended," Mr Hanna wrote by email. "That would be unfruitful."

He rejected the suggestion that aid work was a "cover" for missionary work, preferring to call it a "conduit for sharing the gospel of Jesus. Christians are commanded to minister to the hungry, but also to the hunger of the spirit. It can't be separated," he said.

In public, the largest groups put the emphasis on their delivery of food parcels and their medical work. However, their internal fund-raising materials emphasise mission work. One IMB bulletin reported aid workers handing out copies of the New Testament and praying with Muslim recipients. Another bulletin said Iraqis understood "who was bringing the food . . . it was the Christians from America."

Southern Baptists from North Carolina visited Iraq in October to help hand out 45,000 boxes of donated food. One of the team, Jim Walker, told IMB's Urgent News bulletin that he met village children "starved of attention and I could tell some of them have not eaten well. But their biggest need is to know the love of Christ."

Mr Hanna said he encountered friendly curiosity, with noisy crowds gathering to take his group's tracts. "Maybe 10 per cent were hostile." He was one of 21 on his mission including Jackie Cone, 72, a Pentecostalist grandmother from Ohio who said God had told her to join a second mission planned for next year. "I sensed Him telling me to come back in January," she said.

Mrs Cone is confident she made converts in Baghdad. In her hotel she met a Muslim woman on crutches with a leg operation due that day. Mrs Cone knelt on the lobby floor and prayed that surgery would not be required.

"I saw her that evening and she said God had healed her, and she hadn't needed the surgery. She didn't say Allah, she pointed to Heaven and gave God the glory," she said.

Mrs Cone led the Kurdish woman and her brother in prayer, asking Jesus into their hearts. "I'd given them a Bible and a Jesus video in Arabic. I think they think of themselves as Christians now," she said. "They have the Bible and I hope they will grow in grace."

Muslims are hard converts, American missionaries admit. The large organisations have experts trained in refuting Muslim teachings that Jesus is just another prophet.

Before going to Iraq, Mr Hanna studied Christian training manuals and attended a seminar for missionaries to the Arab world.

Mr Hanna concedes his new Iraqi friends were possibly drawn by the novelty of meeting Americans. "But you don't discount that, you use it as an opportunity to tell them about Jesus. Last time we only took 8,000 Arabic Bibles to Iraq. In future missions the goal is one million."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;$sessionid$XG3OFBSVSMSZ5QFIQMFSFFWAVCBQ0IV0?xml=/news/2003/12/27/wirq27.xml - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;$sessionid$XG3OFB SVSMSZ5QFIQMFSFFWAVCBQ0IV0?xml=/news/2003/12/27/wirq27.xml

Date Posted: 06 September 2007 at 11:23am

Also,

Whose arrogance is that I think I "know" how to help these people? Do the folks speak Dar, Farsi etc? What do they have to offer? Why not donate to the Red Crescent?

The Afghani people have had their world destroyed. By outsiders coming in.. and you know, I spoek once a long time ago to a woman talking at my school about the women in India, oppression etc. I asked her what we could do, she said fix your government.

Considering outsiders are in the land, and call people there the "enemy" (meaning Afghanis) cause they aren't doing what we want them to do, why and how can people tell the difference? What they should have done is work for peace by changing their government's policy, not supporting US.

See I don't feel much Tom, cause you know what, hundreds of thousands of people havedied over there. Why oh why are they any different then the other people? The people there just would like us all to leave.. They would like to leave.

And on top of it, sorry but the South Koreans are HUGE evangelicals. Huge. If you wanto help, gather the food and give it to CARE or another international aid group.  And really, why aren't they going to the Christian African nations? why not? There is tons and tons of poverty there.. but no one to convert.. hmmm

I appreciate anyone who aims to do good. But this is all fishy. And i grew up in the Liberation Theology tradition of Catholicism and have great respect for many of them. But you don't head into a war with no credentials or knowledge. Really they not only endanger themselves, they are endangering others.  

-------------

Date Posted: 06 September 2007 at 3:45pm

Tom123

Soldiers are heroes.

Police Officers are heroes.

Israfil, I strongly disagree, particularly with the soldiers. I believe that the heroes in our world are people who do their best to help others and take risks for doing so, but that they do not carry guns. Then again, bear in mind I am writing from a Christian viewpoint, and so I believe that the use of violence is never justified since Jesus said we are to love our enemies. I recognize there are some Christians who will disagree with me on this, but I challenge anyone to try justify war or violence of any kind in light of what Jesus taught.

But I may be digressing a bit here. Although I believe that there are many soldiers who are brave and I have nothing against them, I do not believe they are heroes.

Firefighters are heroes.

Yes.

Religious figures are heroes.

Depends which ones.  I think we agree that the 'hero' title would not apply to Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson

Misguided religious idealist do not count as heroes in my book. Any group who is conscious of a dangerous warzone and knows the possibility that they may be either be permanantly incapacitated or seriously harmed but still proceeds to do the work anyway is not heroism its called st**idity. I would be equallys (and even more critical) of Muslims who proceeded to go to a non-muslim area especially if they were conscious of the consequences. Saving lives is one thing because its a moral necessity but humanitarian work can always be done without putting yourself in harm's way.

OK, thank you for being so frank with me. I appreciate hearing your view, but strongly disagree. I believe that when we see people suffering we have an obligation to do what we can to help them, and if that means placing our lives in danger or even losing them, so be it. Giving money to charities for example may be a 'safer' way, but often there is a lot of controversy about how much of that cash gets there.

BTW someone had to deliver these medicines, is that not correct? So if these South Koreans did not go, someone else would have in their place. They were doing a very dangerous job and if it wasn't them it could have been someone else.   

This is a similar point I was getting to with Islamispeace when he said that these korean missionaries have a choice. What I was explaining to him was that autonomy, that is, us sovereign beings, have the ability to make "free" choices but not every free choice is logical.

How do you define 'logical'? Are you saying that because these people took a risk that their actions were illogical? Perhaps if the person deciding what is or is not logical (I'm not saying that person would be you) defines 'logical' as doing something that is safe. I believe that serving God is not always safe.

Tom123 even reading my criticism of those former hostages I didn't see any "hateful" words. I think your subjectively is misattributed because nothing that I've said outside my normal behavior was hateful. Hateful or hate is a strong word therefore I ask you for strong evidence showing what I said in my words that were hateful. Just because I called their actions st**id doesn't mean the word st**id is hateful. It an be an insult but its not hateful.

Alright, you do have a point here, Israfil. Hate was a strong and now that I look back on this discussion an inappropriate word to describe your response. Insulting would be a better word. I still strongly disagree with you on this issue but I take back calling your words 'hateful' and I apologize.

BTW most missionary work today is covert Christian conversion we can start with the bible belt for instance by reading this old article:

Bible Belt missionaries set out on a 'war for souls' in Iraq

Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 27/12/2003

American Christian missionaries have declared a "war for souls" in Iraq, telling supporters that the formal end of the US-led occupation next June will close an historic "window of opportunity".

Organising in secrecy, and emphasising their humanitarian aid work, Christian groups are pouring into the country, which is 97 per cent Muslim, bearing Arabic Bibles, videos and religious tracts designed to "save" Muslims from their "false" religion.

Mission from god: Jon Hanna and Jackie Cone after they visited Iraq

The International Mission Board, the missionary arm of the Southern Baptists, is one of those leading the charge.

John Brady, the IMB's head for the Middle East and North Africa, this month appealed to the 16 million members of his church, the largest Protestant denomination in America.

"Southern Baptists have prayed for years that Iraq would somehow be opened to the gospel," his appeal began. That "open door" for Christians may soon close.

"Southern Baptists must understand that there is a war for souls under way in Iraq," his bulletin added, listing Islamic leaders and "pseudo-Christian" groups also flooding Iraq as his chief rivals. talk of Muslims and Christians worshipping the same God.

Jerry Vines, former head of the Southern Baptist Convention, has described the Prophet Mohammed as a "demon-obsessed paedophile". Franklin Graham, son of Billy Graham and the head of Samaritan's Purse, a big donor to Iraq, has described Islam as a "very evil and wicked religion".

The missionaries pose a dilemma for President George W Bush. He has reached out to Muslims since September 11, shrugging off criticism from evangelicals to describe Islam as "peaceful". But Christian conservatives are also a key Bush constituency: Franklin Graham delivered the invocation prayer at his presidential inauguration.

The US Agency for International Development has said that the government cannot rein in private charities. "Imagine what the US Congress would say to us," said a spokesman in April.

Jon Hanna, an evangelical from Ohio who has recently returned from Iraq, applied for a new passport to travel there, describing himself as a humanitarian worker. "I was worried the US authorities might try to stop us, might be worried we were going to start a riot with our Bibles."

In Baghdad last month Mr Hanna met two other American missionary teams. One, from Indiana, had shipped in 1.3 million Christian tracts. "A US passport is all you need to get in, until the new Iraqi government takes over. What we thought was a two-year window, originally, has narrowed down to a six month window," said Mr Hanna, an evangelical minister and editor of Connection Magazine, a Christian newspaper in Ohio.

He describes Islam as "false". He cited St John's Gospel, saying: "Who is the liar? It is the man who denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a man is the antichrist."

Mr Hanna concluded: "The Muslim religion is an antichrist religion." Later Mr Hanna asked to retract that choice of words. "Without the reader hearing my voice and looking into my eyes as I made that statement, it would be easy for certain readers to feel personally attacked and be offended," Mr Hanna wrote by email. "That would be unfruitful."

He rejected the suggestion that aid work was a "cover" for missionary work, preferring to call it a "conduit for sharing the gospel of Jesus. Christians are commanded to minister to the hungry, but also to the hunger of the spirit. It can't be separated," he said.

In public, the largest groups put the emphasis on their delivery of food parcels and their medical work. However, their internal fund-raising materials emphasise mission work. One IMB bulletin reported aid workers handing out copies of the New Testament and praying with Muslim recipients. Another bulletin said Iraqis understood "who was bringing the food . . . it was the Christians from America."

Southern Baptists from North Carolina visited Iraq in October to help hand out 45,000 boxes of donated food. One of the team, Jim Walker, told IMB's Urgent News bulletin that he met village children "starved of attention and I could tell some of them have not eaten well. But their biggest need is to know the love of Christ."

Mr Hanna said he encountered friendly curiosity, with noisy crowds gathering to take his group's tracts. "Maybe 10 per cent were hostile." He was one of 21 on his mission including Jackie Cone, 72, a Pentecostalist grandmother from Ohio who said God had told her to join a second mission planned for next year. "I sensed Him telling me to come back in January," she said.

Mrs Cone is confident she made converts in Baghdad. In her hotel she met a Muslim woman on crutches with a leg operation due that day. Mrs Cone knelt on the lobby floor and prayed that surgery would not be required.

"I saw her that evening and she said God had healed her, and she hadn't needed the surgery. She didn't say Allah, she pointed to Heaven and gave God the glory," she said.

Mrs Cone led the Kurdish woman and her brother in prayer, asking Jesus into their hearts. "I'd given them a Bible and a Jesus video in Arabic. I think they think of themselves as Christians now," she said. "They have the Bible and I hope they will grow in grace."

Muslims are hard converts, American missionaries admit. The large organisations have experts trained in refuting Muslim teachings that Jesus is just another prophet.

Before going to Iraq, Mr Hanna studied Christian training manuals and attended a seminar for missionaries to the Arab world.

Mr Hanna concedes his new Iraqi friends were possibly drawn by the novelty of meeting Americans. "But you don't discount that, you use it as an opportunity to tell them about Jesus. Last time we only took 8,000 Arabic Bibles to Iraq. In future missions the goal is one million."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;$sessionid$XG3OFBSVSMSZ5QFIQMFSFFWAVCBQ0IV0?xml=/news/2003/12/27/wirq27.xml - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;$sessionid$XG3OFB SVSMSZ5QFIQMFSFFWAVCBQ0IV0?xml=/news/2003/12/27/wirq27.xml

Thank you for this article, I have read it in 2003 actually and have a copy of it. I'll share some of my thoughts on it.

I personally think that the attitude of these missionaries is quite arrogant, and that they are wrong to be insulting the beliefs of Muslims. Calling Muhammad a 'demon obsessed paedophile' is false, hateful, idiotic and counterproductive to any dialogue. As you probably know, I am not a Muslim and I do not believe that all of Islam's teachings are true, but I think that this sort of language is not right.

The article seems to speak of members of Pentecostal and Baptist churches, almost all of whom unfortunately supported and continue to support the invasion of Iraq. These 'missions' are being organized by Southern Baptists- who I am assuming are linked to the Southern Baptist Convention, which supported the war. As Christians, they should have been calling out against it and denouncing it and protesting against it. I believe that their main 'rivals' should not be Muslim leaders or other Christians, but their government who launched this brutal invasion.

I do believe that as Christians we have a responsibility to live out the Gospel and share our faith with others. Sorry.

I think that if Christians go on missions trips, we should live with the people we are working with and take the time to listen to them and learn from them. I believe when we give material help it should not be with an air of superiority or arrogance, like the whole 'look at us we are such nice people' giving gifts to these 'poor souls'. We need to remember (especially Westerners) that often the people we are serving are suffering because of the policies of our country's leaderships. We need to realize that like us they are created in Gods' likeness and His image, and that like us Jesus died for them on the cross. I believe we should share our faith with them, but the help that we provide needs to be unconditional. We can't refuse to help people if they don't want to become Christians, that would be a travesty of everything that Jesus taught.

For an example of what I think true Christian missions are like, check out the MCCs website, www.mcc.org .

The South Koreans who went to Afghanistan btw of course were not with the Southern Baptist Convention, and I have not read anything to suggest that they were demonizing Muhammad or only providing help to Christians or people who said they were going to become Christians.
   So I don't see how the above mentioned article would apply to them.

Cristo Vive!
         - Tomasz

Date Posted: 06 September 2007 at 4:57pm

Also,

Whose arrogance is that I think I "know" how to help these people? Do the folks speak Dar, Farsi etc? What do they have to offer? Why not donate to the Red Crescent?

Giving donations is certainly one way to help. Going there personally is another, and I see nothing wrong with it. Do you think that the Taleban would not have kidnapped and murdered Red Crescent workers? Had these people not went, someone else who would have could have also been kidnapped and murdered.

The Afghani people have had their world destroyed. By outsiders coming in.. and you know, I spoek once a long time ago to a woman talking at my school about the women in India, oppression etc. I asked her what we could do, she said fix your government.

I fully agree that we need to be challenging the policies of our governments when they lead to imperialism and injustice. But there are many possible ways to help, and aid work is certainly one of them. You certainly support at least one aid group, the Red Crescent (as do I).

So just as there is a need for protest, there is also a need for aid work. If all the Red Crescent members decided to disband their charity and stop their work and devote their energies to government changing only, imagine how many would die. The actions of the South Koreans were no less important.

Considering outsiders are in the land, and call people there the "enemy" (meaning Afghanis) cause they aren't doing what we want them to do, why and how can people tell the difference?

I may have overlooked something, but where did the missionaries call the people of Afghanistan 'the enemy'? Where does it say that the South Koreans ordered the Afghans around or told them what to believe? In fact, they did not even talk about their faith openly (except possibly when refusing to accept Islam under the pain of being beaten).

What they should have done is work for peace by changing their government's policy, not supporting US.

I agree that they should have voiced their opposition to the war, I do not know if they did. I certainly oppose it. But that does not mean that activism is the only possible action to take. Aid work is important too.

See I don't feel much Tom, cause you know what, hundreds of thousands of people havedied over there. Why oh why are they any different then the other people? The people there just would like us all to leave.. They would like to leave.

I believe they would like the US soldiers, NATO occupying troops and foreign militants fighting for the Taleban and/or Al Qaeda to leave. I believe most would like to see the Taleban and Northern Alliance leave them alone, too.

I don't know if they would want aid workers who are providing them with food and medicine to leave.

You are right that hundreds of thousands of people died in Afghanistan. In fact, tens of thousands die around the world of hunger each day. Millions have died in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, more than all the victims in Palestine and Chechnya combined. So should we forget about Palestinians and Chechens and focus only on the Congolese?

Every human life is precious, and you are right, the deaths of the aid workers are not sad or tragic than the deaths of Afghanis whose deaths are not more sad or tragic than the deaths of Congolese people.

I believe that the courage of the South Korean aid workers was admirable, as was their commitment to following Jesus so I wrote this post.

And on top of it, sorry but the South Koreans are HUGE  evangelicals. Huge.

So? How does that make their work any less important or less worthy of support?

If you wanto help, gather the food and give it to CARE or another international aid group.

Why not to them? Because they are Christians?

And really, why aren't they going to the Christian African nations? why not? There is tons and tons of poverty there.. but no one to convert.. hmmm

How do you know they do not go to Christian African nations?

This may or may not be on topic, but I have a bit of missions experience myself. I went on a missions trip to El Salvador last summer, I spent 2 weeks with a group of El Salvadoran social workers working for the Evangelical Lutheran Church in El Salvador who are involved in working among prisoners to teach them about peaceful alternatives to violence and with street youth to organize activities and keep them out of gangs. The program was founded and is led by a Canadian missionary. Both the ELCIES and a Catholic aid group in El Salvador, CRIDPES, are also otspoken in their opposition to abuses committed by foreign mining companies and during the war have opposed the US backed military regimes. One of my friends' friend in CRIDPES has been arrested recently for helping organize a rally against water privatization. She is being charged with 'terrorism'.

The people in ELCIES who I have worked with did awesome social justice work and they do it in the name of Jesus and yes, they do talk about Him to others when oppurtunities arise, which is pretty often.

My role? I went there, observed what they had done, prayed with them, learned from them. In Canada, I have spoken and written about my time there to raise awareness among Canadians and particularly Canadian Christians about the injustices that my El Salvadoran brothers and sisters are facing each day. I also send money to them when I can and keep in touch with them and pray for them and do my best to encourage them in their work.

I appreciate anyone who aims to do good. But this is all fishy.

I don't see how this is 'fishy'.

And i grew up in the Liberation Theology tradition of Catholicism and have great respect for many of them. But you don't head into a war with no credentials or knowledge. Really they not only endanger themselves, they are endangering others.

What kind of 'credentials' would you say are necessary? I believe that if we see people suffering, we should do everything we can to help them. Help can come in different ways, and what these people did in my opinion certainly was good and appropriate.

Cristo Vive!

- Tomasz 

Posted By: mariyah
Date Posted: 06 September 2007 at 6:43pm

Tom 123, I agree with Isafril;

Didnt Jesus state that we should not harm the children?

So is it nice to taunt children by stating if they want food for their families they need to sing a Jesus song? Is that how your propagate the faith?

You should watch the clip on Utube showing what they were really doing. And judge not yet ye not be judged.

And see the documentary of the Crusades, the Crescent and the Cross, done by the history channel.

You might then understand why Crusaders are not welcome in some parts of the world.

Open your  mind and expand.

-------------
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.

Date Posted: 06 September 2007 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Maryah Maryah wrote:

Tom 123, I agree with Isafril;

Didnt Jesus state that we should not harm the children?

So is it nice to taunt children by stating if they want food for their families they need to sing a Jesus song? Is that how your propagate the faith?

You should watch the clip on Utube showing what they were really doing. And judge not yet ye not be judged.

And see the documentary of the Crusades, the Crescent and the Cross, done by the history channel.

You might then understand why Crusaders are not welcome in some parts of the world.

Open your  mind and expand.

What clip are you talking about, could you send me the link please?

This is the first time I heard accusations that these people were forcing children to sing Christian songs in order to get food. Are you saying that these people told the kids that if they want to get food they need to sing songs about Jesus?

If that is true, then their actions were despicable and indeed worthy of condemnation. I personally find this a bit hard to believe, not least because I think the secular media would have immediately exposed something like this.

I haven't seen this documentary, but I think it is unfair to refer to these people as 'crusaders'. The crusaders were a brutal, murderous invading army who looted, raped and slaughtered their way across every part of Eastern Europe and the Middle East they went to. These people did not kill anyone.

Lastly, I'm not judging or condemning the Taleban, US Army, NATO or anyone else. I am condemning their sick acts of violence, but not them as people. I believe they can be saved if they repent and put their faith in Jesus Christ.

Cristo Vive!
        - Tomasz

Date Posted: 06 September 2007 at 11:23pm

I believe that the use of violence is never justified

So if a robber breaks into your house with the intent to harm you you simply lay down your life?

How do you define 'logical'?

logical is anything that encompasses common sense and/or rational decisions that involve critical thinking.

Giving money to charities for example may be a 'safer' way, but often there is a lot of controversy about how much of that cash gets there.

This is why you investigate humanitarian groups and track your money and make sure that, that money reaches your goal.

To me Tom123 it sounds like christian missionaries thrive off the possibility of death because they know that because they are doing "God's work" they would be rewarded with paradise. To me that is innately a selfish motive to begin with. For one, if you go into a situation knowing the possibility that death may be eminent what is the most common sense thing to do? Anyway I think if christians wish to do missionary work they can do it safely.

Date Posted: 07 September 2007 at 9:55am

Simple question Tom:

If they were just "spreading the message of Christ" why didnt they do so in their own country where over 70% are not christians!!???

If they just wanted to help people as you claim, why didnt they go to one of many countries in Africa where children are starving to death in their thousands, more so than in Afghanistan??

The answer to both questions is that they were part of America's Crusade. Appart from the secret activities which they may well have been involved in, they were trying to convert poor Afghans to Christianity by offering them food and material things in order to make America's occupation of Afghanistan easier by increasing support for Crusader style "Christianity".

I also advise you to go to this thread: http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9806&PN=2 - http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9806& ;PN=2  watch the video that was posted and also watch the video that I posted on that very same thread to see the true face of these "Christian" missionaries.

Date Posted: 07 September 2007 at 3:07pm

Simple question Tom:

If they were just "spreading the message of Christ" why didnt they do so in their own country where over 70% are not christians!!???

If they just wanted to help people as you claim, why didnt they go to one of many countries in Africa where children are starving to death in their thousands, more so than in Afghanistan??

The answer to both questions is that they were part of America's Crusade. Appart from the secret activities which they may well have been involved in, they were trying to convert poor Afghans to Christianity by offering them food and material things in order to make America's occupation of Afghanistan easier by increasing support for Crusader style "Christianity".

I also advise you to go to this thread: http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9806&PN=2 - http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9806& ; ;PN=2  watch the video that was posted and also watch the video that I posted on that very same thread to see the true face of these "Christian" missionaries.

Sawtul Khilafah,

I read your post and viewed both videos on the link. Neither of them had ANYTHING to do with the South Koreans, the 1st showed a controversial kids camp (more on that below) in USA, the second a short interview with a pastor of a church in USA who used drugs and cheated on his wife.

Neither of these videos had absolutely anything in common with the South Korean aid workers so why you posted them in reply to my thread I don't know.

If you bothered to even read the BBC article I posted, in it you have hopefully found that South Korean missionaries and aid workers operate in both South Korea and parts of Africa, as well as North America, Asia, the Middle East.

I have not found anything in the article or other sources saying that these aid workers were supportive of the US war in Afghanistan.

I do oppose the so-called 'Christian Coalition' and the 'religious right' and agree with you that what they are preaching is 'Crusader Christianity'- a twisted, perverted, imperialist misinterpretation of the Gospel.

About the camp, I haven't seen the whole movie so I don't know. If these kids are being taught to place Christ above everything else and to reject secularism and materialism, then I support the camp. If they are mixing Christianity with the agenda of the 'right-wing', then it is sickening and wrong. I haven't seen the whole movie so I can't comment. It was a bit disturbing to see these kids dressed up in military uniforms, if they are taught violence that is wrong. If they are being taught to be soldiers in the way that the Bible calls on Christians to be soldiers, then it is different. I haven't seen the whole documentary so I'm not going to comment. I have seen very similar images of Palestinian kids being brainwashed to hate Jews, and unlike with the kids camp it is known that they are trained to glorify violence.

Either way, the link and attached videos had absolutely nothing to do with the South Korean hostages. You have not proved that they were doing any of the evil things you accuse them of.

Cristo Vive!
       - Tomasz

Date Posted: 07 September 2007 at 3:19pm

So if a robber breaks into your house with the intent to harm you you simply lay down your life?

Personally I pray that if I was in a situation like that, God would give me the courage not to hate him or try to hurt him or fight him and do exactly what you just said, adding I would hope to be telling him about Jesus and His love and grace as I was being bludgeoned to death or dismemembered.

If he was going to attack my wife or kids (I'm single so this is a hypothetical scenario) I would try to get between them and him and would gladly take his blows in order that they might escape.

logical is anything that encompasses common sense and/or rational decisions that involve critical thinking.

OK, but common sense to you may be something different than it is to someone else.

This is why you investigate humanitarian groups and track your money and make sure that, that money reaches your goal.

Fair enough, that is a good course of action. Or... you can also go yourself. Because someone in the end has to deliver the supplies.

To me Tom123 it sounds like christian missionaries thrive off the possibility of death because they know that because they are doing "God's work" they would be rewarded with paradise. To me that is innately a selfish motive to begin with. For one, if you go into a situation knowing the possibility that death may be eminent what is the most common sense thing to do? Anyway I think if christians wish to do missionary work they can do it safely.

I don't think any missionary goes abroad for the sole purpose of getting himself/herself killed. I know I didn't. We want to serve Jesus, and He says that we do so by helping the poor and by preaching the Gospel. If we get killed doing this, praise God. If we don't get killed, praise God.
   You say that missionary work should be done safely, yet don't soldiers, police officers and firefighters take risks? So are they wrong to do so?
   The difference is that when we take risks for Christ, we do it to serve Him instead of doing it to get a paycheck. As a Christian, I have no reason to fear dying.

Cristo Vive!
        - Tomasz 

Date Posted: 08 September 2007 at 12:29am

Personally I pray that if I was in a situation like that, God would give me the courage not to hate him or try to hurt him or fight him and do exactly what you just said, adding I would hope to be telling him about Jesus and His love and grace as I was being bludgeoned to death or dismemembered.

I don't know whether to laugh or take this seriously. I guess cause I'm from Los Angeles we have a different frame of mind here when it comes to defending your household. I know if it was me the intruder would not be in this world anymore. I don't think someone with the intent to harm you would want to hear about Jesus. In my city there have been people who have begged for their life and still was murdered. Jesus was no wimp and neither should you be one IMHO.

If he was going to attack my wife or kids (I'm single so this is a hypothetical scenario) I would try to get between them and him and would gladly take his blows in order that they might escape.

How heroic, but you're no good to your family if you're dead. Normally in these times most intruders don't give out "blows" but one shot from a hand gun so how good are you if an intruder pulls out a gun and kills you on the first hit? I'm sure in this scenario your family wouldn't have time to make it out the door.

OK, but common sense to you may be something different than it is to someone else.

Tell me from what I stated about logical thinkin do you disagree with?

I don't think any missionary goes abroad for the sole purpose of getting himself/herself killed. I know I didn't. We want to serve Jesus, and He says that we do so by helping the poor and by preaching the Gospel. If we get killed doing this, praise God. If we don't get killed, praise God.
   You say that missionary work should be done safely, yet don't soldiers, police officers and firefighters take risks? So are they wrong to do so?
   The difference is that when we take risks for Christ, we do it to serve Him instead of doing it to get a paycheck. As a Christian, I have no reason to fear dying.

Most Jews, Muslims, and Christians are inherently selfish (not to say its ultimately bad) because we do things for God to get a reward. The idea of matyrdom and obtaining paradise is attractive and especially when scholars indicate to their followers that God will forgive you for your sin if you do this or that. Or, God will reward you because of doing this or that. Religious acts which have no intrinsic value, are done solely for the purpose of self fulfilment.

Date Posted: 08 September 2007 at 4:54am

I don't think any missionary goes abroad for the sole purpose of getting himself/herself killed. I know I didn't. We want to serve Jesus, and He says that we do so by helping the poor and by preaching the Gospel.

Tom, you just said it preach the gospel. There are two motives here.. and well you know, peaching your gospel in this time of crisis YOU believe is right. most Afghanis, i think already beleive in God. So what are they doing??? Really Tom... Are they then not taking advantage of peoples' situation. Those South Koreans ought to find the athiests and help them. Would you not think?  

-------------

Date Posted: 08 September 2007 at 2:36pm

If you bothered to even read the BBC article I posted, in it you have hopefully found that South Korean missionaries and aid workers operate in both South Korea and parts of Africa, as well as North America, Asia, the Middle East.

I did read it. It QUOTED the Saemmul Church as saying that they were there to help people, and of course THEY would say that.

It also said that there were missionaries in Africa and Middle-east, but didnt say they were "helping people" there, but trying to convert.

Now allow me to ask the question again. Why did these missionaries go to Afghanistan to "help people" when they could have gone to many other countries where people are suffering?

Well because they were trying to convert people, and of course they would "help" poor people in order to win them over and convert them. (didnt Satan try to trick Jesus in that way according to the Bible?) So they were there just to convert and of course you cant convert many people to "christianity" without offering them worldly materials (that's Satan's old trick).

If they were sincere they would have tried to convert their own people first, the great marority of whom are NOT christians. Why travel all the way to a country in the middle of a war and preach "christianity"?

And why was the Korean Government so worried about them and was willing to actually negotiate with the Taliban for them?

Because S.Korea has joined America's Crusade and sent troops to Afghanistan (which proves they are part of a Crusade, why else would they send troops to fight the Taliban when the Taliban had never done anything to them and did not even "threaten their interests") and so these hostages were obviously part of the Crusade (actually a very important part of it).

Date Posted: 08 September 2007 at 4:58pm

I don't think any missionary goes abroad for the sole purpose of getting himself/herself killed. I know I didn't. We want to serve Jesus, and He says that we do so by helping the poor and by preaching the Gospel.

Tom, you just said it preach the gospel. There are two motives here.. and well you know, peaching your gospel in this time of crisis YOU believe is right. most Afghanis, i think already beleive in God. So what are they doing??? Really Tom... Are they then not taking advantage of peoples' situation. Those South Koreans ought to find the athiests and help them. Would you not think?  

Yes, I did say preaching the Gospel. It means showing Christ's love to others. It can mean helping people materially and telling them about Jesus. It can also mean helping them as Christians and giving witness by our actions, as these South Koreans were doing. Preaching does not have to be done with words.

Of course as Christians we want to bring glory to God. Of course we want others to get to know Jesus. As a Muslim, do you not do the same? When Islamic Relief helps people they may not verbally preach Islam but by coming as Muslims to their aid they are representing Islam. The same goes for Christians. When we help others in Christ's name we are representing our faith. That was what I meant by preaching in that case.

Don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to verbally preaching the Gospel either. But there are many ways to share the Gospel with people, and just helping them and being there for them as Christians can already provide a powerful witness.

I believe that had these missionaries been trying to bribe or force Afghans into converting in exchange for help, that would have been wrong and immoral and unChristian. If that were true then yes you would be correct in saying they were taking advantage of these people. I see no evidence to suggest that was the case. If you can produce such evidence, please show it to me.

Cristo Vive!
       - Tomasz

Date Posted: 08 September 2007 at 6:08pm

I did read it. It QUOTED the Saemmul Church as saying that they were there to help people, and of course THEY would say that.

So show me evidence that they were doing otherwise. Until you do, I see no reason not to take their word. Had these people been evangelizing, the church would have probably come out and said it. I see no reason why they would want to hide that or be ashamed of it.

It also said that there were missionaries in Africa and Middle-east, but didnt say they were "helping people" there, but trying to convert.

Actually, this is what was written:

There is no evidence that the Saemmul Church was guilty of such behaviour, but South Korea is certainly known for the zeal of its missionaries, as well as the number of people it sends overseas on mission trips.

Korean evangelical groups have dispatched about 17,000 people to 173 countries, from the Middle East and Africa through to Central and East Asia, and South Korea is the second largest source of Christian missionaries after the US.

It does not say here that they were only trying to help people, but neither does it say that they were trying to convert. Missionary work can sometimes only involve aid when prosyletizing is not allowed, more often it involves both.

You will probably point to a segment below which says that the Afghan government in August deported hundreds of South Koreans who were planning to stage a parade in Kabul. There is no evidence that the people who were taken hostage were involved in that, though.

Now allow me to ask the question again. Why did these missionaries go to Afghanistan to "help people" when they could have gone to many other countries where people are suffering?

Why should they have not gone to Afghanistan? Are Afghans less worthy of help than other people?

Well because they were trying to convert people, and of course they would "help" poor people in order to win them over and convert them. (didnt Satan try to trick Jesus in that way according to the Bible?) So they were there just to convert and of course you cant convert many people to "christianity" without offering them worldly materials (that's Satan's old trick).

That is pretty offensive. You are making unproven accusations that these people were somehow trying to 'bribe' Afghans into becoming Christians. You haven't proven anything to back up these claims instead of posting some videos which were about problems in AMERICAN churches. No offense, but this is so absurd that I'm doing my best not to laugh as I'm reading some of the stuff you've written.

You are claiming that you cant convert many people to "christianity" without offering them worldly materials,  it only shows your ignorance on this matter. The early church spread like a wildfire throughout Ancient Rome and Judea in spite of the fact that the Christian faith was hated by both Roman and Jewish authorities. Becoming a Christian meant losing respect from society, being cast out by your community, and in many cases it meant martyrdom.

Granted, there are some jerks who preach a 'prosperity gospel' and dangle money in front of poor people and promise to help them only if they convert, there isn't any evidence to indicate that these people were doing that.

If they were sincere they would have tried to convert their own people first, the great marority of whom are NOT christians. Why travel all the way to a country in the middle of a war and preach "christianity"?

Jesus calls on Christians to preach the Gospel to everyone, and to help everyone who is suffering. That includes Afghan Muslims.

And why was the Korean Government so worried about them and was willing to actually negotiate with the Taliban for them?

Because they were afraid of getting bad publicity if they didn't do anything.

Because S.Korea has joined America's Crusade and sent troops to Afghanistan (which proves they are part of a Crusade, why else would they send troops to fight the Taliban when the Taliban had never done anything to them and did not even "threaten their interests") and so these hostages were obviously part of the Crusade (actually a very important part of it).

You are making up a false and unproven allegation. You haven't shown any evidence that these hostages were in support of the 'war on terror'. You are demonizing and slandering people who haven't cheated anyone, lied to anyone or hurt anyone. They went to Afghanistan to help people in need. And they were Christians. And they refused to renounce their faith, even under threats and beatings.

So you are so angry them and will look for any oppurtunity to slander them and downplay their courage.

Cristo Vive!
        - Tomasz

Posted By: Sign*Reader
Date Posted: 08 September 2007 at 6:13pm
Tom123:

These South Koreans were  NGOs!
And according to the following statement they were part of the invading force!

Colin Powell's famous dictum about NGOs as US "force multipliers" avant la lettre: human rights and medical services for US friends and clients, none for the opposition.

So they were a fair game!
Doesn't matter what they were doing!
They need to prove their credibility by traveling north of the 38th parallel first instead of being the lackeys in the Afghan lands
I bet they must be looking for some good opium or hasheesh drags!

-------------
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.

Date Posted: 08 September 2007 at 6:24pm

I don't know whether to laugh or take this seriously. I guess cause I'm from Los Angeles we have a different frame of mind here when it comes to defending your household. I know if it was me the intruder would not be in this world anymore. I don't think someone with the intent to harm you would want to hear about Jesus. In my city there have been people who have begged for their life and still was murdered. Jesus was no wimp and neither should you be one IMHO.

So you think that non-violence is 'wimpy'? Then Martin Luther King and Gandhi must have been wimps. They didn't beg for their lives. They didn't turn to violence either.

Jesus prayed for the people who were crucifying Him. So did His followers, like Stephen. Have you heard of Archbishop Romero? Or Dirk Willems?

http://salt.claretianpubs.org/romero/romero.html

http://chi.gospelcom.net/DAILYF/2003/05/daily-05-16-2003.sht ml

These people combatted evil with love and the Truth of the Gospel. They did not beg for their lives. Neither did they turn to violence. They followed Jesus and were witnesses to Him to the end.

Read their stories. Were they cowards?

How heroic, but you're no good to your family if you're dead. Normally in these times most intruders don't give out "blows" but one shot from a hand gun so how good are you if an intruder pulls out a gun and kills you on the first hit? I'm sure in this scenario your family wouldn't have time to make it out the door.[/QUOTE

I don't know how to shoot a gun and couldn't use one even if I wanted to, so looks like we'd be dead anyways. But even if I died, I know I would go to Heaven. And so would my Christian wife and kids whom I would nurture in the faith.

Tell me from what I stated about logical thinkin do you disagree with?

'Common sense' to some may mean preserving their lives on earth no matter what the cost. If you are desperate to keep your life, perhaps violence would make sense. For me I know that I have nothing to fear when I die and I will be with God. So why should I disobey Him and turn to violence to save my life?

[QUOTE=Israfil]Most Jews, Muslims, and Christians are inherently selfish (not to say its ultimately bad) because we do things for God to get a reward.[/QUOTE[

Speak for yourself. I do not do good to get a reward from God. Jesus already gave me more than I could ever ask for or deserve when He died on the cross for me. I have put my faith in Him, and I know that when I die I will be with Him in Heaven.

I want to serve Him because I am so grateful for what He has done for me, and the Holy Spirit moves me to take action against injustice and to want to serve God. Service is a part of my faith, I serve and am glad to do so because I love God. I do not expect any rewards from Him. He has already given me more than I ever deserve.

[QUOTE=Israfil]The idea of matyrdom and obtaining paradise is attractive and especially when scholars indicate to their followers that God will forgive you for your sin if you do this or that. Or, God will reward you because of doing this or that. Religious acts which have no intrinsic value, are done solely for the purpose of self fulfilment.

Probably to some (among Christians, Muslims and Jews) such an idea may be attractive and some may buy into it.

Nice exchanging views with you.

Cristo Vive!

- Tomasz

Date Posted: 08 September 2007 at 6:26pm
Hayfa please read this post instead of the one I last wrote to you.

Yes, I did say preaching the Gospel. It means showing Christ's love to others. It can mean helping people materially and telling them about Jesus. It can also mean helping them as Christians and giving witness by our actions, as these South Koreans were doing. Preaching does not have to be done with words.

Of course as Christians we want to bring glory to God. Of course we want others to get to know Jesus. As a Muslim, do you not do the same (bring peopl to Islam)? When Islamic Relief helps people they may not verbally preach Islam but by coming as Muslims to their aid they are representing Islam. The same goes for Christians. When we help others in Christ's name we are representing our faith. That was what I meant by preaching in that case.

Don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to verbally preaching the Gospel either. But there are many ways to share the Gospel with people, and just helping them and being there for them as Christians can already provide a powerful witness.

I believe that had these missionaries been trying to bribe or force Afghans into converting in exchange for help, that would have been wrong and immoral and unChristian. If that were true then yes you would be correct in saying they were taking advantage of these people. I see no evidence to suggest that was the case. If you can produce such evidence, please show it to me.

Cristo Vive!
       - Tomasz

Date Posted: 09 September 2007 at 7:28am

Had these people been evangelizing, the church would have probably come out and said it.

Yeah right!

You just keep saying "there is no evidence", well the truth is we cant prove what they were or werent doing because we werent there (neither me nor you) but the fact that they went all the way to Afghanistan when 70% of their own people are not Christians and dont even believe in Jesus (not even as a Prophet as we Muslims do) is evidence that they did not have the best of intentions and were part of America's Crusade as their Government has proven to be.

Why should they have not gone to Afghanistan? Are Afghans less worthy of help than other people? 

Because there are many countries that suffer from poverty and desease more than Afghanistan, and Afghanistan is in the middle of a war between Crusader Christian Zionists and Muslims. It's obvious that they went there to serve the Crusade.

You are claiming that you cant convert many people to "christianity" without offering them worldly materials,  it only shows your ignorance on this matter. The early church spread like a wildfire throughout Ancient Rome and Judea in spite of the fact that the Christian faith was hated by both Roman and Jewish authorities. Becoming a Christian meant losing respect from society, being cast out by your community, and in many cases it meant martyrdom.

I was talking about converting MUSLIMS to Christianity, not pagans and atheists.

Date Posted: 09 September 2007 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Sign*Reader Sign*Reader wrote:

Tom123:

These South Koreans were  NGOs!
And according to the following statement they were part of the invading force!

Colin Powell's famous dictum about NGOs as US "force multipliers" avant la lettre: human rights and medical services for US friends and clients, none for the opposition.

So they were a fair game!
Doesn't matter what they were doing!
They need to prove their credibility by traveling north of the 38th parallel first instead of being the lackeys in the Afghan lands
I bet they must be looking for some good opium or hasheesh drags!

Was that supposed to be funny?

These South Koreans were serving Afghan people, not US soldiers. There is no proof they were aiding the occupiers or even the Afghan government.

Just because Colin Powell said something, it must be true? Then I'm assuming you also believe there were WMDs in Iraq, eh?

Do you believe that aid workers in Iraq and Afghanistan from Islamic Relief and Red Crescent are 'US lackeys' too? What about Margaret Hassan (from CARE)? She was 'fair game' you say? Did she deserve the buller that her kidnappers shot into her head?

Your comment about these people coming to Afghanistan for hasheesh or opium is quite frankly, sickening and disgusting. You are demonizing people who went and gave their lives to serve and try to help these suffering people. Shame on you.

I will pray that God opens your eyes.

Cristo Vive!
        - Tomasz

Date Posted: 09 September 2007 at 12:08pm

Had these people been evangelizing, the church would have probably come out and said it.

Yeah right!

You just keep saying "there is no evidence", well the truth is we cant prove what they were or werent doing because we werent there (neither me nor you) but the fact that they went all the way to Afghanistan when 70% of their own people are not Christians and dont even believe in Jesus (not even as a Prophet as we Muslims do) is evidence that they did not have the best of intentions and were part of America's Crusade as their Government has proven to be.

So they went to a country where there were suffering people who are not Christians when they could have gone to another that is similar... so then they must have been  coming to abuse them and not help them...OK...
    That is a pretty weak argument, based only on speculation.

I can provide sources that these people were there in Afghanistan to bring aid to its victims of war. You cannot provide me any sources to prove me otherwise or to back up your accusations.

Because there are many countries that suffer from poverty and desease more than Afghanistan, and Afghanistan is in the middle of a war between Crusader Christian Zionists and Muslims. It's obvious that they went there to serve the Crusade.

LOL. That's pretty cute.

If you can provide me any evidence whatsoever that these people were there bribing anyone or serving US forces or defending or supporting the 'war on terror' please show it to me. Until then, I have no reason to believe any of your accusations.

I was talking about converting MUSLIMS to Christianity, not pagans and atheists.

So are you saying that Muslims can be bought?...

I actually know a person who was raised in a Muslim family but became a Christian. She was cast out by her own mother, and many people in her family and community. She lost a lot because of her choice to follow Jesus. She didn't get any money from anyone for her decision; had she wanted to have a life with less financial and family stress, she could have remained a Muslim.

Cristo Vive!

- Tomasz

Date Posted: 09 September 2007 at 12:20pm

Yes there is nothing wrong with peaceful protest. But you know these people may do more good if the peacefull, with civil disobedience protest their government's policies. Really the harm these foreign nations are donig in Afghanistand and Iraq is immense. AS they say, fix your government. Tell them to get out. They should protest arms sales.

And exactly what "huamitarian" aid were they doing? Anything can be claimed under such a title. Dod you know the US government has been known to send CIA people through the Peace Corps.  

-------------

Posted By: Sign*Reader
Date Posted: 09 September 2007 at 2:18pm

These South Koreans were serving Afghan people, not US soldiers. There is no proof they were aiding the occupiers or even the Afghan government.

Yes it is funny that a bible thumper like you and your ilk who have  caused so much misery in that part of the world and still continue to believe that they are serving people acting as morons.

What a concept to carpet bomb a country from 50000 feet and then send some naive Koreans NGOs as aid workers missionaries in disguise?

Just because Colin Powell said something, it must be true?

You have no authority to challenge his justification and definition of the NGO concept cuz you are a nobody in this cyberspace as compared to him so far the subject is concerned.
His former employer has continued to use NGOs as surrogates in their  worldwide operations not that this has alleviated the rampant misery they continue to cause.

Then I'm assuming you also believe there were WMDs in Iraq, eh?

This is like comparing apples with oranges, you don't need to make an ass of yourself unless you would like!
He lied to the world on behalf of his boss and for the money he was making and that he was some Christian
You need to pray for him and see he doesn't land in your hell!

Do you believe that aid workers in Iraq and Afghanistan from Islamic Relief and Red Crescent are 'US lackeys' too?

They are not NGOs system funded by the Uncle Sam or it's lackeys!

What about Margaret Hassan (from CARE)? She was 'fair game' you say? Did she deserve the buller that her kidnappers shot into her head?

You are showing your pathetic side by bringing in Mrs Hassan in this.
How can you compare her who was an Iraqi citizen with those Korean missionaries?
You country was partner in crime to convert Iraq into a slaughter house where the invaders are living in so called green zone so they can get their hands on what is under the slaughter house. What do you know about shame after this?
No body has found out why anybody would kill Marg-- where even Zarqavi asked for her release!
As a  rule of thumb all the heaths and misery is on the invaders tab and you are a prty to it so far I am concerned. You cause the crash you pay for all !

Your comment about these people coming to Afghanistan for hasheesh or opium is quite frankly, sickening and disgusting. You are demonizing people who went and gave their lives to serve and try to help these suffering people. Shame on you.

Cristo Vive!
        - Tomasz

When you learn the true meaning of  SHAME & PRAYER
Do it for Ted Haggards and Larry Craigs and all the chld molesting priests and rather tell them Christ lives; don't need your belly aching over here you knucklehead!

-------------
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.

Date Posted: 09 September 2007 at 2:49pm

If you can provide me any evidence whatsoever that these people were there bribing anyone or serving US forces or defending or supporting the 'war on terror' please show it to me. 

Im saying  EVEN IF they were not doing anything bad except trying to convert people, even then that would be a great help to the occupation forces because the occupation forces are "Christian". So the fact is they were helping the occupation one way or another.

So... if their goal was just to spread Christianity, they could have done so in their own country where 70% are none-Christians. Why fly all the way to Afghanistan in the middle of a war? Just to convert people? I dont think so, since they still had a lot of converting to do in their own country and then their neighbouring countries and also many other countries that are not in the middle of a war between Muslims and Christians, and many countries where people are suffering from poverty more so than in Afghanistan.

Hence, even if we assume that they were just trying to convert people, they were still helping the occupation, and it seems that was their goal or else they would have tried to convert the remaining 70% of their own people instead.

Posted By: islamispeace
Date Posted: 09 September 2007 at 2:57pm
Sign_reader,

Please calm down.  There is no need to fly off the handle.  Tom is a good friend of mine, and while we don't always agree with each other, I know that he is a good person and has always spoken out against the injustice caused by the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq and has always condemned the Christian extremists for their support of those wars.  The South Koreans claim that they went to Afghanistan to help the people of Afghanistan, not to convert them.  If they are lying, then shame on them, but there is no reason for us to doubt them.  We can't prove that they had some sinister motive, because we cannot read their minds.  What is the sense, then, in making claims about some covert evangelizing mission?  Regardless of their motives, was it right to kidnap them and beat them for refusing to convert to Islam?  The Taliban have not denied any of the accusations made against them, to my knowledge.  Beating people into accepting Islam is not how the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) went about it.  The Taliban were wrong.  They were also wrong in murdering two of those people.  Regardless of what those people were doing there, there was no excuse for murdering them.

-------------
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Date Posted: 09 September 2007 at 2:59pm

Yes it is funny that a bible thumper like you and your ilk who have  caused so much misery in that part of the world and still continue to believe that they are serving people acting as morons.

What harm have I caused in Afghanistan? You don't know anything about me.
   I was against the war in Afghanistan and Iraq, I have spoken out against them, I have helped organize people to attend peace rallies and information sessions about the war crimes carried out by the Americans and their allies (including Canada). I have had my phones tapped for helping organize a letter writing campaign against the deportation of a man from our city to Syria where he would have been tortured. I've set up petitions to bring attention to the massacre of Muslims at Andijan, Uzbekistan and had people sign and write to Ottawa asking that our government stop supporting Karimov.

So go ahead, throw your accusations and mockeries, they reflect nothing but your ignorance. You know absolutely nothing about me.

What a concept to carpet bomb a country from 50000 feet and then send some naive Koreans NGOs as aid workers missionaries in disguise?

So you think they were sent by the US Military? Are you out of your mind??? Do you think they would have been so easily captured then???
   If you have any evidence that these people were working for the occupation, prove it. Otherwise stop flinging mud.

Just because Colin Powell said something, it must be true?

You have no authority to challenge his justification and definition of the NGO concept cuz you are a nobody in this cyberspace as compared to him so far the subject is concerned.
His former employer has continued to use NGOs as surrogates in their  worldwide operations not that this has alleviated the rampant misery they continue to cause.

Which NGOs? Do you have any proof that these people were working for the Americans? You don't.

Then I'm assuming you also believe there were WMDs in Iraq, eh?

This is like comparing apples with oranges, you don't need to make an ass of yourself unless you would like!

You say that I dare not challenge Powell's statements about NGOs because I'm a 'nobody' in cyberspace. Then who are you to challenge him? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

He lied to the world on behalf of his boss and for the money he was making and that he was some Christian

First of all, Bush is as much a 'Christian' as the janjaweed death squads in Sudan are 'Muslim'. They aren't. Second of all, I don't dispute that Colin Powell is a liar.

You need to pray for him and see he doesn't land in your hell!-

He can only be saved from Hell if he repents for all the suffering and misery he caused through the wars he helped start and turns to  Jesus. Sure, I can pray that happens. But it's up to him to repent for his inhuman cruelties and turn to God.

Do you believe that aid workers in Iraq and Afghanistan from Islamic Relief and Red Crescent are 'US lackeys' too?

They are not NGOs system funded by the Uncle Sam or it's lackeys!

Neither were the South Koreans. And remember, you said that according to Colin Powell's words, NGOs are fair game. So that means that Islamic Relief and Red Crescent are 'fair game'.

What about Margaret Hassan (from CARE)? She was 'fair game' you say? Did she deserve the buller that her kidnappers shot into her head?

You are showing your pathetic side by bringing in Mrs Hassan in this.
How can you compare her who was an Iraqi citizen with those Korean missionaries?

Because like them she dedicated and gave her life by serving people made victims of war.

You country was partner in crime to convert Iraq into a slaughter house where the invaders are living in so called green zone so they can get their hands on what is under the slaughter house. What do you know about shame after this?

That's why I was, am and will continue to oppose its complicity and support of US imperialism. What country do you live in, btw?

No body has found out why anybody would kill Marg-- where even Zarqavi asked for her release!

Her murder was an act of horrific savagery. No less than the murder of the South Korean aid workers. No less than the crimes of the invading occupying forces.

As a  rule of thumb all the heaths and misery is on the invaders tab and you are a prty to it so far I am concerned. You cause the crash you pay for all !

How am I a party to it? Because I live in Canada? Where do you live? What are you doing to oppose the injustice?

Cristo Vive!
        - Tomasz

When you learn the true meaning of  SHAME & PRAYER Do it for Ted Haggards and Larry Craigs and all the chld molesting priests and rather tell them Christ lives; don't need your belly aching over here you knucklehead!

Not worth responding to.

Cristo Vive!
       - Tomasz

Date Posted: 09 September 2007 at 3:54pm

Yes there is nothing wrong with peaceful protest. But you know these people may do more good if the peacefull, with civil disobedience protest their government's policies. Really the harm these foreign nations are donig in Afghanistand and Iraq is immense. AS they say, fix your government. Tell them to get out. They should protest arms sales.

And exactly what "huamitarian" aid were they doing? Anything can be claimed under such a title. Dod you know the US government has been known to send CIA people through the Peace Corps.  

Hi Hayfa,

We agree that protesting against our country's policies when they cause injustice and suffering (an example the 'war on terror') is a necessary form of action we need to take. I have opposed my country's role in the bloodshed in Afghanistan, and am vocal against the wars in both Afghanistan and Iraq. USA and its allies (along with the Taleban, Saddam, and Iraqi 'insurgents') will stand before God and be punished for the Satanic cruelties they have inflicted on the people of Afghanistan and Iraq.

I believe that aid work too is necessary. Both our actions on the streets of our capitals and their actions in these wartorn countries are meant to save lives. I have nothing but respect and admiration for them. God bless them for the work they do

More on the aid workers.

As to the nature of the trip,

The people taken hostage in Afghanistan were on a popular kind of tour in which church groups go on short, nonevangelical aid trips. (emphasis added be me)

As to the specific type of work they were doing, they were working with children and supplying medicine to people. They went to organize "medical activities and activities for children," according to Kim Hyung-suk, president of the Korean Foundation for World Aid, which organized the trip.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/taste/?id=110010420

I have heard of the use of the Peace Corps by the US government, but it is important to keep in mind that most of these volunteers were not spies, it was a few 'plants' and you can't blame all or most of their volunteers for the actions of a few. I read in an article in The Independent that some Iraqi doctors would co-operate with Shia death squads and provide them with lists of Sunnis to kill. So are all Iraqi doctors bad or not to be trusted? Of course not!

Lastly, there is no evidence or anything to suggest that this group of people were allied with or working for the occupation forces, if you can find such evidence please present it.

Cristo Vive!
     - Tomasz

Date Posted: 10 September 2007 at 6:24am

If you can provide me any evidence whatsoever that these people were there bribing anyone or serving US forces or defending or supporting the 'war on terror' please show it to me. 

Im saying  EVEN IF they were not doing anything bad except trying to convert people, even then that would be a great help to the occupation forces because the occupation forces are "Christian". So the fact is they were helping the occupation one way or another.

The occupation forces are not Christian, neither in name or in nature. America is going in as a secular Western 'democracy', not a 'Christian nation'. Yes, George Bush may claim he is a Christian. But he doesn't even claim to be there to spread Christianity, but according to him, democracy.

True Christians are not allies of the occupation of Afghanistan. Jesus orders Christians to love our enemies, bless those who hate us, do good to those who hate us, and pray for those who mistreat us. Even if the people of Afghanistan who our countries are murdering were guilty of oppressing us (they aren't, it's the other way around) we wouldn't be able to wage war against them.

Jesus calls on us to be peacemakers, and to go out of our way to help people who are hungry, naked, imprisoned (oppressed), homeless. The war in Afghanistan (as every other war) does the complete opposite. War turns the Kingdom of God upside down. Instead of loving their enemies, people kill them. Instead of being peacemakers, they howl for more killing. Instead of aiding the poor, they make their lives worse- because it is always the poor who suffer most because of war.

The 'war on terror' is not supported by most Christians, but by a small and vocal minority in the States who is financially powerful and whose voices most often get heard on the airwaves. The Southern Baptist Convention and some evangelical and pentecostal churches supported the invasion of Iraq, for example, as did Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, and Anne Coulter. They got a lot of airtime, definitely.

At the same time, the World Council of Churches, a coalition of churches with a combined membership of b/w 350 to 450 million Christians from over 100 countries condemned the war. Both the Anglican and Catholic church leaders also condemned the invasion of Iraq. Somehow their voices were barely heard, at least in the United States media... I wonder why. Maybe because they were the Christian ones.

... if their goal was just to spread Christianity, they could have done so in their own country where 70% are none-Christians. Why fly all the way to Afghanistan in the middle of a war? Just to convert people? I dont think so, since they still had a lot of converting to do in their own country and then their neighbouring countries and also many other countries that are not in the middle of a war between Muslims and Christians, and many countries where people are suffering from poverty more so than in Afghanistan.

First of all, they were not going to Afghanistan to convert people. And Christ did not say that Christians should focus more on some people and less on others in need. Jesus in fact said that He is present in the hungry, the imprisoned, the homeless, the poor (Matt 25:31-49). What we do to them we do to Him.

Did you know that Islamic mission groups operate in North America and South Korea? According to your logic, should they not be in Muslim countries helping their own poor people and fighting against their unjust and corrupt rulers? Should we tell them to leave all of the non-Muslim countries and go back home and convert everyone there to Islam and solve all of their problems back home before they show their faces in non-Muslim lands? And then let's say why not kidnap a group and shoot one or two to make an example of them? And when the rest are released, how about if we mock them for not staying in their Muslim countries and demonize them for coming here and claim they're supporting Osama bin Laden- like you are claiming these South Koreans were supporting the Americans.

How well do you think that would go over on this thread? How would you respond?

Well, this is the same kind of attitude you are showing towards the South Koreans. They went to Afghanistan to help people, and they were punished for doing so, by both the Taleban and now their own society.

Hence, even if we assume that they were just trying to convert people,

Not even that is true, unless you understand doing aid work as a Christian to be 'converting people'. If that is the case, then Red Crescent and Islamic Relief are 'converting' people too.

You could say they were being witnesses to Christianity and by their actions representing the faith, but I wouldn't use the word converting.

they were still helping the occupation, and it seems that was their goal

They were not doing anything to help the occupation. Even if they were converting people, that wouldn't be of much help to the occupation since Christianity opposes war and injustice.

You have yet to prove how helping the occupation forces was 'the goal' of the Koreans. So far I've seen a lot of speculation and not one bit of any evidence either backing up your earlier claims they were bribing people or that they went to support the American or Coalition forces.

or else they would have tried to convert the remaining 70% of their own people instead.

We are called to be witnesses to Christ wherever we go. There are South Korean missionaries and Christian aid workers who are at work in South Korea as well, don't worry about that.

Cristo Vive!

- Tomasz

Date Posted: 10 September 2007 at 6:30am
Originally posted by islamispeace islamispeace wrote:

Sign_reader,

Please calm down.  There is no need to fly off the handle.  Tom is a good friend of mine, and while we don't always agree with each other, I know that he is a good person and has always spoken out against the injustice caused by the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq and has always condemned the Christian extremists for their support of those wars.  The South Koreans claim that they went to Afghanistan to help the people of Afghanistan, not to convert them.  If they are lying, then shame on them, but there is no reason for us to doubt them.  We can't prove that they had some sinister motive, because we cannot read their minds.  What is the sense, then, in making claims about some covert evangelizing mission?  Regardless of their motives, was it right to kidnap them and beat them for refusing to convert to Islam?  The Taliban have not denied any of the accusations made against them, to my knowledge.  Beating people into accepting Islam is not how the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) went about it.  The Taliban were wrong.  They were also wrong in murdering two of those people.  Regardless of what those people were doing there, there was no excuse for murdering them.

Hi islamispeace,

It's great to hear a Muslim voice on this thread speaking out against injustice and the demonization of innocent people who risked and gave their lives to serve those to whose plight so many in the world have closed their eyes to. Even though I am not a Muslim I know that your faith does not advocate injustice. Thank you.

Cristo Vive!
     - Tomasz

Date Posted: 10 September 2007 at 8:34am

Tom123 the thing you must realize is regardless how you feel, majority of muslims are skeptical of missionaries regardless whether their intentions are good or otherwise. There have been "good christian folk" who has called muslims "devils and needed to be saved" kind of similar to that of the African slaves in the 1600 when they arrived on the shores of West Virginia of course not making this a race issue but to show you that good peacekeeping missionaries have been acting for God since the 1600's.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that let's say these individual acted out of pure good intention without the intent to convert my question is who knew they were Christian? Couldn't they keep their belief private knowing the cultural sensitivities there? Unless their beliefs were forced out by the Taliban captors, I don't see it necessary for them to reveal their beliefs.

Contrary to what you think Tom123 (although you make it sound like Islamispeace is the only muslim who speaks out against injustice) I think its wrong to kidnapp anyone unless during a time of war and the captors are part of an established army. The Taliban, in my opinion are outlaws, savages, and cowards. I however don't support them but at the same time the Korean missionaries or any missionary need to have some type of rational judgement when it comes to helping others (but the subtle message is to convert the muslim heathens).

Tom123 you must als understand that we (at least I myself) am skeptical on why you are here. I have been here as you may know, since '03 and have seen people come and go and have seen missionaries of all kinds come here and preach the "word" without even trying to get to know Islam. It is obvious that you have no intent to at least know Islam. It is obvious as it is indicated in your writings that you don't even hold Islam as an Abrahamic faith nor do you agree with its tenents because, they don't reflect yours of course the same can be said about Judaism but that is pointless now.

My main concern in this situation are the people in those regions who need adequate attention. Frankly they don't need to hear about Jesus they need to hear about whether their lights are going to come on and the other biological necessities humans need. If missionaries want to impress me have the bog wig Christians donate the millions of money they steal...err...I mean get from their churches and donate it to the U.S. military so they can speed up the process of building facilities that serve the people.

Tom123 you have indicated that your intent is indeed selfish not purely altruistic especially when you talk about where you're going after you die. I mean, how confident can you be? So you can imagine that same cockiness you have the missionaries that go to these 3rd world countries and preach to the poor. I wish I can be that confident in my destination.

Date Posted: 10 September 2007 at 9:30am

Tom, do you actually deny that these people were missionaries??? Or that the goal of missionaries is to convert?? Next you'll be denying their very existence!

The occupation forces are not Christian, neither in name or in nature.

First of all, they are Christian by name. Why do you keep denying the obvious?

As for them not being "TRUE" Christians, well how do you know those Koreans were "True" Christians???

And of course every Christian defines "true Christianity" in their own way (Catholic, Orthodox, Jehovah's witnesses, Mormons, Protestants, Evangelicals.......etc. Who are the "TRUE" Christians???)

The 'war on terror' is not supported by most Christians

Is that why Bush was re-elected after making war on both Afghanistan and Iraq??

Did you know that Islamic mission groups operate in North America and South Korea? According to your logic, should they not be in Muslim countries helping their own poor people and fighting against their unjust and corrupt rulers? Should we tell them to leave all of the non-Muslim countries and go back home and convert everyone there to Islam and solve all of their problems back home before they show their faces in non-Muslim lands? And then let's say why not kidnap a group and shoot one or two to make an example of them?

First of all, a lot of religious Muslims were arrested by the United States and their allies right after 9/11 and kept in prison without trial and most of them are still being tortured in prison after 6 years without any evidence that they had anything to do with 9/11 (the US Government has not even proven bin Laden to have had anything to do with 9/11, let alone the Guantanamo prisoners)

Secondly the United States has NOT been invaded by Muslims the way Afghanistan and Iraq have been invaded by people who (at least in name) are Christians. I assure you that if the US was invaded by Muslims, not only missionaries but most other Muslims would have been mercilessly murdered as we see the US and their allies doing right now in Iraq and Afghanistan where they do not even spare small children.

And lastly, you gave a very poor example since Muslim missionaries coming from countries where 90-99% are Muslims, where finding non-Muslims is quite rare.

They were not doing anything to help the occupation. Even if they were converting people, that wouldn't be of much help to the occupation since Christianity opposes war and injustice.

There are millions of christians who would disagree with you, including the very people who originally compiled your Bible.

Date Posted: 10 September 2007 at 10:14am

As to the specific type of work they were doing, they were working with children and supplying medicine to people. They went to organize "medical activities and activities for children," according to Kim Hyung-suk, president of the Korean Foundation for World Aid, which organized the trip.

1. Well why could they not donate their materials to Red Crescent?

The issue I have Tom, is that you make this big post about these few people who are donig things "in Christ" and went to a war-tornm country, with complete lack of ignorance and treid to help these poor non Christian people. A group of people quite well known to be strong evangelicals. You are right, none of us were there to know their true motivations. My parents did international aid / missionary work for many years. Of course they felt their motivations were "true," just and honest. But that does not mean they are right Tom.

But you know what, people have gone into these places with terrible, terrible motivations. Of course we want to believe in the "goodness" of people. But you know what, trust is to be earned.

Have you ever heard of a group called Central Asia Institute? http://www.ikat.org/ - http://www.ikat.org/   It is one of the few nonMoslem groups I support in that region. Why? Cause it has the respect of the local people there. The man who runs it is phenomenal. It is about respect. Too many people go over there in that region who do not respect the people, their views, etc.

Are people her skeptical. I think so. And if you look at the history and experiences of people from around the world they have every right to be.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 September 2007 at 11:09am

Tom123 the thing you must realize is regardless how you feel, majority of muslims are skeptical of missionaries regardless whether their intentions are good or otherwise. There have been "good christian folk" who has called muslims "devils and needed to be saved" kind of similar to that of the African slaves in the 1600 when they arrived on the shores of West Virginia of course not making this a race issue but to show you that good peacekeeping missionaries have been acting for God since the 1600's.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that let's say these individual acted out of pure good intention without the intent to convert my question is who knew they were Christian? Couldn't they keep their belief private knowing the cultural sensitivities there? Unless their beliefs were forced out by the Taliban captors, I don't see it necessary for them to reveal their beliefs.

Contrary to what you think Tom123 (although you make it sound like Islamispeace is the only muslim who speaks out against injustice) I think its wrong to kidnapp anyone unless during a time of war and the captors are part of an established army. The Taliban, in my opinion are outlaws, savages, and cowards. I however don't support them but at the same time the Korean missionaries or any missionary need to have some type of rational judgement when it comes to helping others (but the subtle message is to convert the muslim heathens).

Tom123 you must als understand that we (at least I myself) am skeptical on why you are here. I have been here as you may know, since '03 and have seen people come and go and have seen missionaries of all kinds come here and preach the "word" without even trying to get to know Islam. It is obvious that you have no intent to at least know Islam. It is obvious as it is indicated in your writings that you don't even hold Islam as an Abrahamic faith nor do you agree with its tenents because, they don't reflect yours of course the same can be said about Judaism but that is pointless now.

My main concern in this situation are the people in those regions who need adequate attention. Frankly they don't need to hear about Jesus they need to hear about whether their lights are going to come on and the other biological necessities humans need. If missionaries want to impress me have the bog wig Christians donate the millions of money they steal...err...I mean get from their churches and donate it to the U.S. military so they can speed up the process of building facilities that serve the people.

Tom123 you have indicated that your intent is indeed selfish not purely altruistic especially when you talk about where you're going after you die. I mean, how confident can you be? So you can imagine that same cockiness you have the missionaries that go to these 3rd world countries and preach to the poor. I wish I can be that confident in my destination.

Israfil,
   Point out where these Koreans called muslims 'devils' and then we can talk. I haven't seen any evidence of them personally expressing arrogance towards Muslims.

Why I am here? Actually islamispeace invited me on this forum because we are having a long-running discussion that we have decided to continue in the 'Interfaith' section. Yes, I am here as a Christian. I don't deny that. I'm looking forward to interfaith discussion/dialogue/debates with Muslims. I am here to exchange opinions and listen to your beliefs and share mine with you. That is my purpose for being on this forum.

There are a lot of beliefs in Islam that I do believe in (ie existence of God, prophets, helping the poor, opposing injustice), I am not thinking of converting and that wasn't my goal in coming here.

Lastly, you make it sound like all missionaries and/or Christian aid workers are supportive of the US policies. Have you heard of Mennonite Central Committee? ChristianAid? Development&PEace? Lutheran World Relief? Christian Peacemaker Teams?

I don't understand how my intent is selfish. I am not expecting rewards from God for doing good, He has already rewarded me by promising me eternal life. I do what I do to serve God, and I do that out of gratitude for what He has done for me, not because I expect any reward from Him.

Cristo Vive!
       - Tomasz

Date Posted: 10 September 2007 at 4:12pm

Tom, do you actually deny that these people were missionaries??? Or that the goal of missionaries is to convert?? Next you'll be denying their very existence!

Prove to me that they were out there converting people. They were aid workers.

The occupation forces are not Christian, neither in name or in nature.

First of all, they are Christian by name. Why do you keep denying the obvious?

They go by the name 'Coalition forces', not 'Christian soldiers'. Their purpose is to defend Western interests not spread Christianity.

As for them not being "TRUE" Christians, well how do you know those Koreans were "True" Christians???

They went to a warzone to help people. They did not renounce their faith even when they were being beaten. They were living out their faith in Christ.

And of course every Christian defines "true Christianity" in their own way (Catholic, Orthodox, Jehovah's witnesses, Mormons, Protestants, Evangelicals.......etc. Who are the "TRUE" Christians???)

People who have decided to believe in and follow Jesus Christ. His commands and instructions for how Christians are to live can be found in the Gospels.

The 'war on terror' is not supported by most Christians

Is that why Bush was re-elected after making war on both Afghanistan and Iraq??

Do you actually believe that America is the Christian world or that most Christians are Americans?

Did you know that Islamic mission groups operate in North America and South Korea? According to your logic, should they not be in Muslim countries helping their own poor people and fighting against their unjust and corrupt rulers? Should we tell them to leave all of the non-Muslim countries and go back home and convert everyone there to Islam and solve all of their problems back home before they show their faces in non-Muslim lands? And then let's say why not kidnap a group and shoot one or two to make an example of them?

First of all, a lot of religious Muslims were arrested by the United States and their allies right after 9/11 and kept in prison without trial and most of them are still being tortured in prison after 6 years without any evidence that they had anything to do with 9/11 (the US Government has not even proven bin Laden to have had anything to do with 9/11, let alone the Guantanamo prisoners)

Many Christians (local Christians) are being persecuted in Muslim majority countries for their faith as well. I strongly oppose the imprisonment of Muslims in the US and Canada under the so-called 'anti-terror laws' and have fought to stop a man's deportation.

I don't see what this has to do with missionaries though.

Secondly the United States has NOT been invaded by Muslims the way Afghanistan and Iraq have been invaded by people who (at least in name) are Christians.

I never said it was.

I assure you that if the US was invaded by Muslims, not only missionaries but most other Muslims would have been mercilessly murdered as we see the US and their allies doing right now in Iraq and Afghanistan where they do not even spare small children.

Would this then be just? To kill all Muslims because of the actions of a few?

And lastly, you gave a very poor example since Muslim missionaries coming from countries where 90-99% are Muslims, where finding non-Muslims is quite rare.

One could make the argument they should try to ensure that their country is 100% Muslim before they go out converting other people.

There are millions of christians who would disagree with you, including the very people who originally compiled your Bible.

And millions who would agree. Like the 45 million or so represented by the World Council of Churches- who opposed the war in Iraq. The Gospel writers clearly record Jesus as saying that we are to love our enemies, turn the other cheek, and not hate. And for Christians our authoritative source of faith is the Bible. In which Jesus - our Lord and Saviour- clearly states that injustice and violence are wrong.

Christians in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th centuries (before Constantine reared his head) lived out these teachings which are found in the New Testament.

Cristo Vive!

- Tomasz

Date Posted: 10 September 2007 at 4:24pm

1. Well why could they not donate their materials to Red Crescent?

The issue I have Tom, is that you make this big post about these few people who are donig things "in Christ" and went to a war-tornm country, with complete lack of ignorance and treid to help these poor non Christian people. A group of people quite well known to be strong evangelicals. You are right, none of us were there to know their true motivations. My parents did international aid / missionary work for many years. Of course they felt their motivations were "true," just and honest. But that does not mean they are right Tom.

But you know what, people have gone into these places with terrible, terrible motivations. Of course we want to believe in the "goodness" of people. But you know what, trust is to be earned.

Have you ever heard of a group called Central Asia Institute? http://www.ikat.org/ - http://www.ikat.org/   It is one of the few nonMoslem groups I support in that region. Why? Cause it has the respect of the local people there. The man who runs it is phenomenal. It is about respect. Too many people go over there in that region who do not respect the people, their views, etc.

Are people her skeptical. I think so. And if you look at the history and experiences of people from around the world they have every right to be.

Hi Hayfa,

I certainly realize there are people who go on 'missions' and lie and cheat people or try to force their beliefs on them. Skepticism is certainly OK. What is not OK is throwing around condemnations and attacking people without any evidence, as I have seen happen. If you have any concrete evidence of them doing wrong, show it.

These people came to bring medical aid to Afghans, they were kidnapped and beaten, some were killed. I feel their treatment was wrong and I am full of admiration for them for going to help and living out their faith in Christ, Who calls on Christians to help others.

If you or anyone can prove that these people did bad or terrible things or had 'sinister motives', please show me your evidence.

BTW you say that the above mentioned group is 'one of the few non-Muslim groups' you support in the region. Why are you supporting Muslim groups? How can you be sure that they aren't trying to spread Islam with their humanitarian work?

BTW not all Afghans are Muslim, even if the majority of them are. Do the Muslim NGOs try to help the non-Muslims as well? And if they do, what if they are spreading Islam? How do you know they aren't?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status_of_religious_freedom_in_ Afghanistan

Cristo Vive!
        - Tomasz

Date Posted: 10 September 2007 at 5:22pm

Im even more sure than before that these hostages were doing something sinister in Afghanistan (besides trying to convert illiterate poor Afghan children which you can see in this video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6790348944738125597&q=korean+afghanistan&total=430&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1 - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6790348944738125597 &q=korean+afghanistan&total=430&start=0&num= 10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1 )

Why? Because their family obviously lied about them:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrz_gV34fsE - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrz_gV34fsE

One says her daughter was there to teach Afghan children how to paint!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (missionary goes all the way to Afghanistan to teach a child whose dying out of hunger how to paint??????)

Another one was supposedly there to teach Afghan children how to use Computers!!!!!!!

Wow! Were they in Afghanistan or Disneyland??

So they were clearly lying, which suggests they had something to hide regarding their mission.

Date Posted: 10 September 2007 at 6:16pm

Tom123 then allow me to officially change my opinion and give you the benefit of the doubt. Although this interfaith dialogue doesn't accomplish anything at least you have thus far acknolwegded your intentions.

Regarding the Christian Missionaries

I didn't say specifically that the Korean missionaries called the muslims "devils" rather, I'm merely indicating the running opinion of mainstream evangelical christianity. Time and time again I have heard that missionaries are out to do the work of "Jesus" by preaching the word of God to the godless (that being muslims).

Regarding altruism

Tom123 in my opinion when people do charity especially when such charities are associated with religion it usually generates this feeling that one is doing good for the deity they worship, but, in essence, such charitble acts as I have experienced personally are done because there is usually a blessing or reward. Obviously religionist like yourself will not admit to the fact that what they do are inherently selfish of course not and I wouldn't expect you or others to admit that. But haven't you ever done something that makes you feel good and you find yourself doing that again because it makes you feel good (as well as the person whom you're helping)?

Scientifically speaking we are attracted to the things that makes us feel good whether its sex or charity we do certain things based on our biological chemistry. Seeing the smile from a child after give him/her a toy makes us feel good inside because we are seeing the fruits or labor so to speak. When it comes to religion this generates the same results. People do things for God because obviously they link moral action with religious teachings but an incentive to doing moral good is the future paradise that we end up in once we die. You mentioned this briefly by saying if you were to die you know you'd go to heaven. Not just because you were baptized but because you feel in heart that what you do as a Christian you would be rewarded for. Christians may operate on similar though processes by doing missionary work. Although they may not admit to acting for self-interest their actions whether good intention or not is not pure altruistic.

Tom123 think about it in your chair for a second that, there is no such thing as pure altruism in this word. Humans are selfish creatures and its not necessarily a bad thing but merely a biological process in our brains that trigger a "reward mechanism" when certain beneficial actions take place. with that being said I'm continuously skeptical of mssionaries who say they are doing the work of Christ because their reasons are religiously motivated not necessarily humanitarian. Of course the humanitarian part is second but take into account the prioritization.

Date Posted: 10 September 2007 at 7:34pm

Im even more sure than before that these hostages were doing something sinister in Afghanistan (besides trying to convert illiterate poor Afghan children which you can see in this video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6790348944738125597&q=korean+afghanistan&total=430&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1 - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6790348944738125597 &q=korean+afghanistan&total=430&start=0&num= 10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1 )

Why? Because their family obviously lied about them:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrz_gV34fsE - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrz_gV34fsE

One says her daughter was there to teach Afghan children how to paint!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (missionary goes all the way to Afghanistan to teach a child whose dying out of hunger how to paint??????)

Another one was supposedly there to teach Afghan children how to use Computers!!!!!!!

Wow! Were they in Afghanistan or Disneyland??

So they were clearly lying, which suggests they had something to hide regarding their mission.

The 1st video wasn't opening on my computer, I did see the second one.

What is so wrong or unrealistic about teaching kids how to paint and use computers? Even in refugee camps there are programs for kids that teach drama and give other activities for kids to do. If there is technology available, why not show it to the kids? What's wrong with organizing activities for them, even if they are poor?

What they were doing makes a lot of sense- delivering medicine to a community and once there organizing some activities for the kids to take part in. There is nothing abnormal or immoral about that, I don't see how you view that as 'sinister'.

Cristo Vive!
        - Tpmasz

Date Posted: 11 September 2007 at 5:49am

Tom123 then allow me to officially change my opinion and give you the benefit of the doubt. Although this interfaith dialogue doesn't accomplish anything at least you have thus far acknolwegded your intentions.

Glad you know where I stand. I acted quite boorish, I should have introduced myself and stated why I'm here in the Introduction Section.

Regarding the Christian Missionaries

I didn't say specifically that the Korean missionaries called the muslims "devils" rather, I'm merely indicating the running opinion of mainstream evangelical christianity. Time and time again I have heard that missionaries are out to do the work of "Jesus" by preaching the word of God to the godless (that being muslims).

OK, glad you clarified that. There are Christians who call Muslims 'devils', although this is not as mainstream as you may believe. Although that kind of offensive language is used by some high profile religious leaders in the USA, they do not represent most Christians around the world. They do not represent even all Christians in the US, and even in their denominations (evangelical, pentecostal and baptist for the most part) there are many who are beginning to question and challenge their misinterpretation and political abuse of the Christian faith. The Pope also quoted an offensive statement about Muslims, I know, but he later stated he did not believe what the quote said. It was dumb of him to said what he said but he I don't believe he hates Muslims. The Islam-bashers are for the most part found in the American South (not S. America ), they do not represent most of the Christian world although with the media attention they get one could be justified for believing that.

Now as Christians, we do believe that our faith has the whole truth about God, as you as a Muslim believe that you have the whole truth about God. So we both want to share what we believe is the truth with others.

I have also heard Muslims speak of the Christian faith in very arrogant terms, even if they do not mean to. I read a 'testimony' by a person who converted to Christianity from Islam ending by saying that he or she (I read this a while ago, will try to find it) hopes that one day churches will lead people to heaven instead of hell like they are now.

Regarding altruism

Tom123 in my opinion when people do charity especially when such charities are associated with religion it usually generates this feeling that one is doing good for the deity they worship, but, in essence, such charitble acts as I have experienced personally are done because there is usually a blessing or reward. Obviously religionist like yourself will not admit to the fact that what they do are inherently selfish of course not and I wouldn't expect you or others to admit that. But haven't you ever done something that makes you feel good and you find yourself doing that again because it makes you feel good (as well as the person whom you're helping)?

Scientifically speaking we are attracted to the things that makes us feel good whether its sex or charity we do certain things based on our biological chemistry. Seeing the smile from a child after give him/her a toy makes us feel good inside because we are seeing the fruits or labor so to speak. When it comes to religion this generates the same results. People do things for God because obviously they link moral action with religious teachings but an incentive to doing moral good is the future paradise that we end up in once we die. You mentioned this briefly by saying if you were to die you know you'd go to heaven. Not just because you were baptized but because you feel in heart that what you do as a Christian you would be rewarded for. Christians may operate on similar though processes by doing missionary work. Although they may not admit to acting for self-interest their actions whether good intention or not is not pure altruistic.

Tom123 think about it in your chair for a second that, there is no such thing as pure altruism in this word. Humans are selfish creatures and its not necessarily a bad thing but merely a biological process in our brains that trigger a "reward mechanism" when certain beneficial actions take place. with that being said I'm continuously skeptical of mssionaries who say they are doing the work of Christ because their reasons are religiously motivated not necessarily humanitarian. Of course the humanitarian part is second but take into account the prioritization.

You make some interesting points. Perhaps there is no such thing as 'pure altruism'. Helping others does make us feel good, and for those of us (Christians, Muslims, Jews, others) who believe in God and believe that by helping others we are serving Him yes, our actions are for faith rather than purely altruistic reasons. Yes, I do feel good when I help others and when I do what I know what is right. I think you do too. I think everyone does.

Are you also skeptical of Muslims who help others, like Islamic Relief? I personally see nothing wrong with people (either Christians or Muslims or Jews or others) who go out to help others and do it on the basis of their faith, which they share with others including the people they are helping- as long as they are not abusing others.

Personally, I do not believe that anything I can do will get me to Heaven. I don't deserve to go there or God's mercy or His love, and nothing I have ever done that is good can wash away my sins. Only Jesus did that on the cross, that is what I believe. So when I help others, I guess it isn't purely altruistic- I do feel good doing it but primarily I do it because that is what I believe God wants me to do and I want to serve Him.

When you help others (and I assume you do), why do you? Just curious.

Cristo Vive!
     - Tomasz

Date Posted: 11 September 2007 at 8:48am

Feeling good by doing good things is not necessarily a bad thing its just that we've developed a reward mechanism in our body that rewards us with this "feeling" ofelation that we've done a good thing. Humans biologically are geared to more pleasurable things than harmful things so it is not surprising that people do things for God and for helping others both are triggers for the reward mechanism.

Am I skeptical of muslims who help others? Yes I am skeptical. There are muslims who fund bad groups and some who fund good groups. The same rule applies to Jews and Christians it depends on the organization. Not saying God isn't in all things because God is existing and his essence is an emanation of all things but, if we do things it should be because we want to not some religious or spiritual motivation.

When I'm on the streets and I help someone yes I do feel good about helping people but I try to get rid of the feeling of feeling good because this is my job and that is what I should do. I want to help other humans because it the human thing to do. I believe in the success of our species and in order to maintain that I must preserve human life that is how I see things. I've heard muslims talk about doing things to get mutiple blessings and doing things to get triple blessings. To me, I don't look at charity or other things like a video game with the person with the most blessings wins, I look at it as something that all humans who are conscious of morality should do.

As far as evangelical christianity is concerned I'm glad to see your an apologist to those in mainstram chgristianity because as far as the running opinion of Christianity of today is concerned, Islam is the anti-christ (although such terminology is wrong since we believe in the christ who is Jesus). Don't get me wrong I'm not saying all christians but I say most christians in mainstream believe this way. The pope changed his answers based upon soiciety but he still believes those views. I remember read about him and his beliefs on Islam and let me say that he had nothing good to say about it.

Sawtul I disagree with you on that you assume that the entire U.S military is Christian. Do you not know there are Muslims, Jews and Buddhist in the military? Of course in different branches but there are people of different faiths in the U.S. military so it would be wrong to assert the U.S. military is entirely Christian. Of course Christianity maybe the majority faith but its wrong to say the entire military is majority Christian.

Date Posted: 12 September 2007 at 6:16am

Feeling good by doing good things is not necessarily a bad thing its just that we've developed a reward mechanism in our body that rewards us with this "feeling" ofelation that we've done a good thing. Humans biologically are geared to more pleasurable things than harmful things so it is not surprising that people do things for God and for helping others both are triggers for the reward mechanism.

Am I skeptical of muslims who help others? Yes I am skeptical. There are muslims who fund bad groups and some who fund good groups. The same rule applies to Jews and Christians it depends on the organization. Not saying God isn't in all things because God is existing and his essence is an emanation of all things but, if we do things it should be because we want to not some religious or spiritual motivation.

When I'm on the streets and I help someone yes I do feel good about helping people but I try to get rid of the feeling of feeling good because this is my job and that is what I should do. I want to help other humans because it the human thing to do. I believe in the success of our species and in order to maintain that I must preserve human life that is how I see things. I've heard muslims talk about doing things to get mutiple blessings and doing things to get triple blessings. To me, I don't look at charity or other things like a video game with the person with the most blessings wins, I look at it as something that all humans who are conscious of morality should do.

We agree on everything. Even if you don't help people just to make yourself 'feel good' though, Israfil, you do feel so after you help them, don't you? Not necessarily 'aww... I'm such a nice person' feeling but you do feel some satisfaction after seeing someone benefiting from something good you've done, even if you don't want to feel that way.

This may be one of the things we have in common. I also don't go out to help people so people can see 'what a nice person I am' (I'm not) or to get something back from them or to feel 'good about myself'. I also feel that if someone needs help I have a responsibility and duty to help them, perhaps like in your case, my conviction comes from my faith. When I start feeling 'good' about myself for helping someone, I also do my best to push these thoughts aside and have been getting better at it. I'll actually say 'in Christ's name, go away Satan'. I believe that such thoughts are actually sinful b/c they are pride, and I don't believe we should be proud of ourselves because we are all sinners and only God is perfect, secondly when we help someone we don't do anything extraordinary except living out our faith. I don't deserve any blessings from God, I believe as a Christian He has already given me the ultimate blessing on the cross so I have no reason to ask for more.

As far as evangelical christianity is concerned I'm glad to see your an apologist to those in mainstram chgristianity because as far as the running opinion of Christianity of today is concerned, Islam is the anti-christ (although such terminology is wrong since we believe in the christ who is Jesus). Don't get me wrong I'm not saying all christians but I say most christians in mainstream believe this way.

Thanks, Israfil.

I don't hate Muslims or think Islam is violent or demonic like some do, though to be honest with you I also don't believe that it is correct in all its teachings (as I'm sure you feel about Christianity and other faiths).

In terms of the 'antichrist' word, the New Testament does say that people who deny that Jesus is from God ( http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=69&chapter=4&verse=3&version=31&context=verse - 1 John 4:3 ), who deny 'the Father and the Son' ( http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=69&chapter=2&verse=22&version=31&context=verse - 1 John 2:22 ), who deny Jesus Christ 'coming in the flesh' ( http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=70&chapter=1&verse=7&version=31&context=verse - 2 John 1:7 ) (Christians believe Jesus was God in flesh when He walked on the earth)  is 'an' antichrist.

I know that as a Muslim you see this as offensive, though the Quran also has passages that would offend many Christians- like where it says that those who believe Jesus Son of Mary is God (which happens to be what Christians believe) are 'blasphemers'.

So in terms of the word 'antichrist' being applied by some Christians, it does have some Biblical background although their behaviour does not. Christians are told to be loving towards others, to be humble and patient, not to judge or condemn others, and to look for logs in our own eyes before we point out the specks in those of others. None of these traits apply to most of the televangelists who go around bashing Muslims.

I don't see how labelling someone an 'antichrist' would be helpful in discussion with him or her, especially if we want to share our faith with them. John does not tell Christians to run around condemning and insulting people and he does not call anyone an antichrist to his face. The term is used  to denote people who deny Christian beliefs, but nowhere do the disciples go around calling people antichrists.

I think a comparison can be made with the word 'blasphemer' in the Quran. Muslims may believe it applies to non-Muslims who believe in the Trinity but in a friendly discussion with a Christian where both of you are conducting yourselves in a respectful manner you aren't probably going to yell 'you blasphemer!' at him or her.

I think there are many good and true things in Islam and I have a lot of respect for many Muslims, even if I believe that on certain issues you are mistaken. I believe that many of the vociferous and disgusting attacks on islambashing engaged in by certain 'christian' religious leaders like Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, Anne Coulter, others...are usually wrong, often unjust, almost always hypocritical, and always unChristian.

The pope changed his answers based upon soiciety but he still believes those views. I remember read about him and his beliefs on Islam and let me say that he had nothing good to say about it.

Can you show me where, please? I wouldn't be surprised if that was true but I'm curious to see what he actually wrote. The reason I'm saying this is sometimes the media misquotes people. I certainly had a lot of issues with Pope John Paul 2 but I think he was far more respectful towards Muslims than Ratzinger and he built many bridges with Muslims which sadly the new Pope is now destroying.

Cristo Vive!

- Tomasz

Posted By: palistine
Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 10:22am

IN THE NAME OF ALLAH, THE BENEFICIENT, THE MERCIFUL.

HAPPY  RAMADAN!

I just couldn�t resist to lend few words on the topic; thought I have read the entire responses, I just think that you either have to be too ignorant or a hypocrite to be an oblivious to the sheer deceitfulness of these so called humanitarian workers who�s only agenda is to convert and lure, and have absolutely no respect for human life what so ever. After having studied the movement, I have come to realized that war and the entity are in- separable.  I hope iam not being too harsh but the hypocrisy of those serpent missionaries who have not only  blessed slavery, but are the sole perpetuators� of war and misery in this world AS WE SPEAK .

Like they say, pictures speak louder than words. Here is a bit of reality check for the author of the post and for those who defend the so-called humanitarian workers.   

Radical Christian Missionaries in Iraq

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owCXbDVTLRE - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owCXbDVTLRE

peace

Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 10:34am

They invade our countries, kill thousands of people making tens of thousands of children homeless and orphans. Then they gather the poor and the orphans who dont even know how to read or write and have little or no idea what religion they belong to and convert them by giving them a few gifts.

Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by palistine palistine wrote:

IN THE NAME OF ALLAH, THE BENEFICIENT, THE MERCIFUL.

HAPPY  RAMADAN!

I just couldn�t resist to lend few words on the topic; thought I have read the entire responses, I just think that you either have to be too ignorant or a hypocrite to be an oblivious to the sheer deceitfulness of these so called humanitarian workers who�s only agenda is to convert and lure, and have absolutely no respect for human life what so ever. After having studied the movement, I have come to realized that war and the entity are in- separable.  I hope iam not being too harsh but the hypocrisy of those serpent missionaries who have not only  blessed slavery, but are the sole perpetuators� of war and misery in this world AS WE SPEAK .

Like they say, pictures speak louder than words. Here is a bit of reality check for the author of the post and for those who defend the so-called humanitarian workers.   

Radical Christian Missionaries in Iraq

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owCXbDVTLRE -

peace

Happy Ramadan to you as well, Palistin.

I don't share your religion but I pray that God blesses you with peace and guidance during this season and throughout your life.

You have shown a video of some fanatics who lie and try to bribe people and claim to be doing it in the name of Christ. Some so-called 'christian missionaries' do that. Most others don't.

Have you heard of Mennonite Central Committee? Development and Peace? ChristianAid? Lutheran World Relief? Christian Peacemaker Teams?

These and many other Christian groups operate in parts of the world where there is great poverty and injustice, and they help people around them. They are Christian and are sharing the Gospel with others with their actions and their words too sometimes. They do not bribe anyone. They do not demonize anyone. For the most part they are highly respected by the people they help and work with, Christians and nonChristians. They speak out against imperialist US policies as loudly as you do, if not more. So don't put all Christian missionaries and aid workers in the same category.

Lastly, the video you showed is about US missionaries in Iraq. The people who were kidnapped, beaten and some murdered were South Koreans and they were in Afghanistan. They did not even verbally preach the Gospel but helped deliver medical aid and organized recreation activities for kids.

They had nothing to do with the zealots in Iraq.

BTW aren't there Muslim missionaries in Iraq, trying to convert people to Islam? Didn't you know that Iraq also has thousands of Christians, and Christianity in Iraq predates Islam?

In Iraq, are Iraqi Christians allowed to share their faith with others like Iraqi Muslims are? Or is prosyletizing only OK for Muslims?

Cristo Vive!
        - Tomasz

Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 3:22pm

They invade our countries, kill thousands of people making tens of thousands of children homeless and orphans. Then they gather the poor and the orphans who dont even know how to read or write and have little or no idea what religion they belong to and convert them by giving them a few gifts.

Are you saying that the South Korean aid workers invaded Afghanistan?

Cristo Vive!
       - Tomasz

Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 3:25pm

Cristo Vive!
       - Tomasz

South Korea sent troops to Afghanistan (as did the United States) then sent missionaries to convert.

Obviously, everyone does their own job. One man doesnt plan, bomb, shoot and convert people at the same time!

Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 3:34pm

Cristo Vive!
       - Tomasz

South Korea sent troops to Afghanistan (as did the United States) then sent missionaries to convert.

Obviously, everyone does their own job. One man doesnt plan, bomb, shoot and convert people at the same time!

What proof do you have that the South Korean government is trying to convert Afghans to Christianity?

What proof do you have that these aid workers were working for the South Korean or American government?

What proof do you have that they were actually verbally trying to convert people?

Show me that these people were working for the South Korean government and trying to bribe children (as you accused them of in your previous post) to convert to Christianity and we can talk.

One man doesnt plan, bomb, shoot and convert people at the same time!

Actually Al Qaeda in Iraq and the Taleban in Afghanistan claim to be fighting for Islam and want to convert everyone in Afghanistan and Iraq or run them out or worse and they are simultaneously bombing and shooting people (as well as torturing and beheading them). So I guess it is possible after all!

Cristo Vive!
         - Tomasz

Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 3:35pm

What proof do you have that the South Korean government is trying to convert Afghans to Christianity?

What proof do you have that these aid workers were working for the South Korean or American government?

What proof do you have that they were actually verbally trying to convert people?  

What proof do you have that they even existed? Maybe they were just inventions of the media

Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 3:38pm

What proof do you have that they even existed? Maybe they were just inventions of the media

When you come up with something worth replying to, let me know. Shukran and nasalaama.

Cristo Vive!
       - Tomasz

Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 3:42pm

When you come up with something worth replying to, let me know.

Where's your proof that what I said was not worth replying to?

Date Posted: 18 September 2007 at 3:43pm

When you come up with something worth replying to, let me know.

Where's your proof that what I said was not worth replying to?

LOL. 

Cristo Vive!
     - Tomasz

Date Posted: 19 September 2007 at 1:16pm

Thanks for the kind words, Tom.

Tom, i agree with you that there are some decent Christians who are righteous/ sincere in helping the poor etc, but that does not mean that there weren�t missionaries who not only justified slavery, but have worked hand in hand with colonial powers and the oppressors. I mean if there action are genuine in any sense, which i really doubt, why don�t they condemn the occupiers rather than pretending to be against the occupation superficially, but are collaborating with them secretly as evident in the video i have shown.

Honestly speaking, it disgusts me more than anything by the actions of the so called peace loving missionaries because i guess i happened to dig too deep into the laundry- perhaps. Anyways iam a bit short of time, but i disagree with your synopsis in general, per my understanding, its just a lure to the faith-nothing more.

palistine

Date Posted: 19 September 2007 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by palistine palistine wrote:

Thanks for the kind words, Tom.

Tom, i agree with you that there are some decent Christians who are righteous/ sincere in helping the poor etc, but that does not mean that there weren�t missionaries who not only justified slavery, but have worked hand in hand with colonial powers and the oppressors. I mean if there action are genuine in any sense, which i really doubt, why don�t they condemn the occupiers rather than pretending to be against the occupation superficially, but are collaborating with them secretly as evident in the video i have shown.

Honestly speaking, it disgusts me more than anything by the actions of the so called peace loving missionaries because i guess i happened to dig too deep into the laundry- perhaps. Anyways iam a bit short of time, but i disagree with your synopsis in general, per my understanding, its just a lure to the faith-nothing more.

palistine

Hi Palistin,

Glad to hear back from you. I agree with you among Christians claiming to be serving Jesus and sharing the Gospel with others and serving the poor there are those who actually do that and are as you said sincere and righteous and there are also those who do not and are hypocrites.

Among people who serve as missionaries there are those who do the above mentioned things and do a lot of good, and there are those who are cynically going to defend imperialism and Western politics while falsely claiming they are doing it to serve Jesus. Among Muslims who claim to be spreading Islam there are those who do so by telling people about their faith and expressing their beliefs in good works, and there are those who bomb, behead, murder and invade others.

The South Koreans went to Afghanistan as aid workers, not even as missionaries. So while they were going there as Christians, they were not verbally prosyletizing.

The video you showed me was about US 'missionaries' sent by the Southern Baptist Convention. Most of them are rabidly pro-war and support George Bush. They put patriotism ahead of the Gospel, which calls for love of enemies and serving the poor.

The people taken hostage in Afghanistan had nothing to do with them. It would be like comparing Muslims who preach Islam on this forum with Al Qaeda in Iraq- since both you and them claim to be wanting to spread Islam. If you can provide me with any proof that the South Koreans were working with the occupation forces or abusing Afghan people in any way, please show it to me. Otherwise, I stand by what I said previously- they were true servants of Christ and have only brought good to the people of Afghanistan whom they were serving in His name.

About my synopsis being a 'lure to the faith' let me elaborate I have been invited to this forum by a Muslim poster for interfaith discussion and while I am here I also engage in other forms of discussion with people here. I am a Christian and am here to share my faith with Muslims on this forum and to listen to what you have to tell me about what you believe. My faith is everything in my life and extends into social justice issues. My involvement in social justice work and antiwar activism and human rights campaigning (on and off internet forums ) is because Jesus clearly says in Scripture He expects this of His followers. I do not separate my faith from my activism or anything else in my life.

Nice exchanging views with you. Take care and all the best. Assalamu Alaikum.

Cristo Vive!
        - Tomasz

Date Posted: 20 September 2007 at 3:21am

Tom,

The South Koreans went to Afghanistan as aid workers, not even as missionaries. So while they were going there as Christians, they were not verbally prosyletizing.

A question? How do you know? Do you know these people? I am sure you know some people go under the cover of "aid" workers to go and "spread the word." How are you so sure that they did none of this?

-------------

Date Posted: 20 September 2007 at 6:28am

Tom,

A question? How do you know? Do you know these people? I am sure you know some people go under the cover of "aid" workers to go and "spread the word." How are you so sure that they did none of this?

There is an article about that which I posted earlier in the thread but I will bring it up again: http://www.opinionjournal.com/taste/?id=110010420

The excerpt about what they were doing can be found here:

The people taken hostage in Afghanistan were on a popular kind of tour in which church groups go on short, nonevangelical aid trips. (emphasis added be me)

Of course I don't know these people personally, neither do you. I am assuming the same can be said of Margaret Hassan. Since neither you or I knew her should we be making claims that she went to Iraq to convert non-Muslim Iraqis to Islam, or that she was only providing help to Muslims or people interested in becoming Muslims while using CARE as a cover? Of course not! It would be an outrageous statement to make! There is no proof that such a thing ever happened. If  anyone were to make such statements they'd better be damn sure to bring some evidence saying that she was guilty of such things.

If there is any evidence that the South Korean aid workers were indeed prosyletizing (which Muslims do too) while claiming to be aid workers or as some other posters have said trying to bribe people or working for the occupation forces, I look forward to seeing it.

So far all sources seem to indicate that they went to Afghanistan on a purely humanitarian trip with a Christian group to help Afghan people, and that during their journey they were kidnapped and physically abused before their Taleban kidnappers released them (after having killed two). They showed great witness to the Gospel by going in there to help people they did not even personally know in spite of the risks, and remarkable courage in not allowing their captors to terrorize them into renouncing their faith in Jesus.

Cristo Vive!
        - Tomasz

Date Posted: 02 October 2007 at 11:17am

Hello Tom, sorry for the late reply, I have been busy.

Glad to hear back from you.

i have to admit you are one of the first few Christians I would say, is Jesus like. Apparently, you guys have got plenty of work at hand to bring back the already strayed masses of Christendom, who have gone ferociously insane over the course of the last few centuries or more!  It seems to be that Jesus is superficial but the prevailing doctrine has been the conquest and domination of Rome Empire.

I agree with you among Christians claiming to be serving Jesus and sharing the Gospel with others and serving the poor there are those who actually do that�. And ere are also those who do not and are hypocrites.

Oh- this is why history has been so unfavorable in the eye of Christendom because ever since the inception of this faith who has been adapted after its messenger, it has been turned twisted and used to annihilate the indigenous inhibitors of various lands/ counties of many seemingly more loving people than the exporters of peace and  love that Jesus thought us.    

Among people who serve as missionaries there are those who do the above mentioned things��

these people have had too much of their days. It�s about time that decent and righteous Christians like your self take the podium and triumph the loving message of Jesus. Enough is enough.  

and do a lot of good, and there are those who are cynically going to defend imperialism and Western politics while falsely claiming they are doing it to serve Jesus. Among Muslims who claim to be spreading Islam there are those who do so by telling people about their faith and expressing their beliefs in good works, and there are those who bomb, behead, murder and invade others.

Sure Tome, there is good and bad in every comp, but this camp has had too much of the nasty guys who evoke the message of love but at day and turn serpents at night. Ex. Pat Roberson, who surely prays in front of his audiences but do you know that he has been secretly investing in Liberia/seara leon (sp?) which not only fueled the bloody civil war, but have contributed the lose of human life for the sake of diamond.

Once again what evidence is there to punish anyone ,especially if that being is reluctant to speak to his/her persecutors. Let me just say that, I have been acquainted with one evangelist and they would tell me in my face that they would hide behind the cover of �humanitarian� to lure poor and suffering masses while turning a blind eye to the cause of their suffering,  Which is not only hypocritical but criminal in every sense who should be sent Hagues as the murderers who kill because they been ordered by their superiors. it is also fair to acknowledge that there are decent and  sincere Christians who fight for justice, thought I would say that they are minority and often lack influence in their own church let a lone their denomination.    

The video you showed me was about US 'missionaries' sent by the Southern Baptist Convention. Most of them are rabidly pro-war and support George Bush. They put patriotism ahead of the Gospel, which calls for love of enemies and serving the poor.

The people taken hostage in Afghanistan had nothing to do with them. It would be like comparing Muslims who preach Islam on this forum with Al Qaeda in Iraq- since both you and them claim to be wanting to spread Islam. If you can provide me with any proof that the South Koreans were working with the occupation forces or abusing Afghan people in any way, please show it to me. Otherwise, I stand by what I said previously- they were true servants of Christ and have only brought good to the people of Afghanistan whom they were serving in His name.

About my synopsis being a 'lure to the faith' let me elaborate I have been invited to this forum by a Muslim poster for interfaith discussion and while I am here I also engage in other forms of discussion with people here. I am a Christian and am here to share my faith with Muslims on this forum and to listen to what you have to tell me about what you believe. My faith is everything in my life and extends into social justice issues. My involvement in social justice work and antiwar activism and human rights campaigning (on and off internet forums  ) is because Jesus clearly says in Scripture He expects this of His followers. I do not separate my faith from my activism or anything else in my life.  

The term 'lure' was not being referred to you, but iam addressing the issue with in the context of the missionaries who are out as humanitarians but are really there to convert people. Furthermore, It does not concern me the color of your skin/ creed/ gender as long us we are all for justice. You have every right to practice and preach your faith as long as iam not forced upon it.    

Nice exchanging views with you. Take care and all the best. Assalamu Alaikum.

Its been nice to exchange views with you as well. God bless and take care.

Palestine

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net