IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > Current Events
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - S. Korean hostages beaten for Christ  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

S. Korean hostages beaten for Christ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2007 at 5:49am
Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

Tom123 then allow me to officially change my opinion and give you the benefit of the doubt. Although this interfaith dialogue doesn't accomplish anything at least you have thus far acknolwegded your intentions.

Glad you know where I stand. I acted quite boorish, I should have introduced myself and stated why I'm here in the Introduction Section.

Regarding the Christian Missionaries

I didn't say specifically that the Korean missionaries called the muslims "devils" rather, I'm merely indicating the running opinion of mainstream evangelical christianity. Time and time again I have heard that missionaries are out to do the work of "Jesus" by preaching the word of God to the godless (that being muslims).

OK, glad you clarified that. There are Christians who call Muslims 'devils', although this is not as mainstream as you may believe. Although that kind of offensive language is used by some high profile religious leaders in the USA, they do not represent most Christians around the world. They do not represent even all Christians in the US, and even in their denominations (evangelical, pentecostal and baptist for the most part) there are many who are beginning to question and challenge their misinterpretation and political abuse of the Christian faith. The Pope also quoted an offensive statement about Muslims, I know, but he later stated he did not believe what the quote said. It was dumb of him to said what he said but he I don't believe he hates Muslims. The Islam-bashers are for the most part found in the American South (not S. America ), they do not represent most of the Christian world although with the media attention they get one could be justified for believing that.

Now as Christians, we do believe that our faith has the whole truth about God, as you as a Muslim believe that you have the whole truth about God. So we both want to share what we believe is the truth with others.

I have also heard Muslims speak of the Christian faith in very arrogant terms, even if they do not mean to. I read a 'testimony' by a person who converted to Christianity from Islam ending by saying that he or she (I read this a while ago, will try to find it) hopes that one day churches will lead people to heaven instead of hell like they are now.

Regarding altruism

Tom123 in my opinion when people do charity especially when such charities are associated with religion it usually generates this feeling that one is doing good for the deity they worship, but, in essence, such charitble acts as I have experienced personally are done because there is usually a blessing or reward. Obviously religionist like yourself will not admit to the fact that what they do are inherently selfish of course not and I wouldn't expect you or others to admit that. But haven't you ever done something that makes you feel good and you find yourself doing that again because it makes you feel good (as well as the person whom you're helping)?

Scientifically speaking we are attracted to the things that makes us feel good whether its sex or charity we do certain things based on our biological chemistry. Seeing the smile from a child after give him/her a toy makes us feel good inside because we are seeing the fruits or labor so to speak. When it comes to religion this generates the same results. People do things for God because obviously they link moral action with religious teachings but an incentive to doing moral good is the future paradise that we end up in once we die. You mentioned this briefly by saying if you were to die you know you'd go to heaven. Not just because you were baptized but because you feel in heart that what you do as a Christian you would be rewarded for. Christians may operate on similar though processes by doing missionary work. Although they may not admit to acting for self-interest their actions whether good intention or not is not pure altruistic.

Tom123 think about it in your chair for a second that, there is no such thing as pure altruism in this word. Humans are selfish creatures and its not necessarily a bad thing but merely a biological process in our brains that trigger a "reward mechanism" when certain beneficial actions take place. with that being said I'm continuously skeptical of mssionaries who say they are doing the work of Christ because their reasons are religiously motivated not necessarily humanitarian. Of course the humanitarian part is second but take into account the prioritization.

You make some interesting points. Perhaps there is no such thing as 'pure altruism'. Helping others does make us feel good, and for those of us (Christians, Muslims, Jews, others) who believe in God and believe that by helping others we are serving Him yes, our actions are for faith rather than purely altruistic reasons. Yes, I do feel good when I help others and when I do what I know what is right. I think you do too. I think everyone does.

Are you also skeptical of Muslims who help others, like Islamic Relief? I personally see nothing wrong with people (either Christians or Muslims or Jews or others) who go out to help others and do it on the basis of their faith, which they share with others including the people they are helping- as long as they are not abusing others.

Personally, I do not believe that anything I can do will get me to Heaven. I don't deserve to go there or God's mercy or His love, and nothing I have ever done that is good can wash away my sins. Only Jesus did that on the cross, that is what I believe. So when I help others, I guess it isn't purely altruistic- I do feel good doing it but primarily I do it because that is what I believe God wants me to do and I want to serve Him.

When you help others (and I assume you do), why do you? Just curious.

Cristo Vive!
     - Tomasz

Edited by Tom123
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2007 at 8:48am

Feeling good by doing good things is not necessarily a bad thing its just that we've developed a reward mechanism in our body that rewards us with this "feeling" ofelation that we've done a good thing. Humans biologically are geared to more pleasurable things than harmful things so it is not surprising that people do things for God and for helping others both are triggers for the reward mechanism.

Am I skeptical of muslims who help others? Yes I am skeptical. There are muslims who fund bad groups and some who fund good groups. The same rule applies to Jews and Christians it depends on the organization. Not saying God isn't in all things because God is existing and his essence is an emanation of all things but, if we do things it should be because we want to not some religious or spiritual motivation.

When I'm on the streets and I help someone yes I do feel good about helping people but I try to get rid of the feeling of feeling good because this is my job and that is what I should do. I want to help other humans because it the human thing to do. I believe in the success of our species and in order to maintain that I must preserve human life that is how I see things. I've heard muslims talk about doing things to get mutiple blessings and doing things to get triple blessings. To me, I don't look at charity or other things like a video game with the person with the most blessings wins, I look at it as something that all humans who are conscious of morality should do.

As far as evangelical christianity is concerned I'm glad to see your an apologist to those in mainstram chgristianity because as far as the running opinion of Christianity of today is concerned, Islam is the anti-christ (although such terminology is wrong since we believe in the christ who is Jesus). Don't get me wrong I'm not saying all christians but I say most christians in mainstream believe this way. The pope changed his answers based upon soiciety but he still believes those views. I remember read about him and his beliefs on Islam and let me say that he had nothing good to say about it.

Sawtul I disagree with you on that you assume that the entire U.S military is Christian. Do you not know there are Muslims, Jews and Buddhist in the military? Of course in different branches but there are people of different faiths in the U.S. military so it would be wrong to assert the U.S. military is entirely Christian. Of course Christianity maybe the majority faith but its wrong to say the entire military is majority Christian.

Edited by Israfil
Tom123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2007 at 6:16am

Feeling good by doing good things is not necessarily a bad thing its just that we've developed a reward mechanism in our body that rewards us with this "feeling" ofelation that we've done a good thing. Humans biologically are geared to more pleasurable things than harmful things so it is not surprising that people do things for God and for helping others both are triggers for the reward mechanism.

Am I skeptical of muslims who help others? Yes I am skeptical. There are muslims who fund bad groups and some who fund good groups. The same rule applies to Jews and Christians it depends on the organization. Not saying God isn't in all things because God is existing and his essence is an emanation of all things but, if we do things it should be because we want to not some religious or spiritual motivation.

When I'm on the streets and I help someone yes I do feel good about helping people but I try to get rid of the feeling of feeling good because this is my job and that is what I should do. I want to help other humans because it the human thing to do. I believe in the success of our species and in order to maintain that I must preserve human life that is how I see things. I've heard muslims talk about doing things to get mutiple blessings and doing things to get triple blessings. To me, I don't look at charity or other things like a video game with the person with the most blessings wins, I look at it as something that all humans who are conscious of morality should do.

We agree on everything. Even if you don't help people just to make yourself 'feel good' though, Israfil, you do feel so after you help them, don't you? Not necessarily 'aww... I'm such a nice person' feeling but you do feel some satisfaction after seeing someone benefiting from something good you've done, even if you don't want to feel that way.

This may be one of the things we have in common. I also don't go out to help people so people can see 'what a nice person I am' (I'm not) or to get something back from them or to feel 'good about myself'. I also feel that if someone needs help I have a responsibility and duty to help them, perhaps like in your case, my conviction comes from my faith. When I start feeling 'good' about myself for helping someone, I also do my best to push these thoughts aside and have been getting better at it. I'll actually say 'in Christ's name, go away Satan'. I believe that such thoughts are actually sinful b/c they are pride, and I don't believe we should be proud of ourselves because we are all sinners and only God is perfect, secondly when we help someone we don't do anything extraordinary except living out our faith. I don't deserve any blessings from God, I believe as a Christian He has already given me the ultimate blessing on the cross so I have no reason to ask for more.

As far as evangelical christianity is concerned I'm glad to see your an apologist to those in mainstram chgristianity because as far as the running opinion of Christianity of today is concerned, Islam is the anti-christ (although such terminology is wrong since we believe in the christ who is Jesus). Don't get me wrong I'm not saying all christians but I say most christians in mainstream believe this way.

Thanks, Israfil.

I don't hate Muslims or think Islam is violent or demonic like some do, though to be honest with you I also don't believe that it is correct in all its teachings (as I'm sure you feel about Christianity and other faiths).

In terms of the 'antichrist' word, the New Testament does say that people who deny that Jesus is from God (1 John 4:3), who deny 'the Father and the Son' (1 John 2:22), who deny Jesus Christ 'coming in the flesh' (2 John 1:7) (Christians believe Jesus was God in flesh when He walked on the earth)  is 'an' antichrist.

I know that as a Muslim you see this as offensive, though the Quran also has passages that would offend many Christians- like where it says that those who believe Jesus Son of Mary is God (which happens to be what Christians believe) are 'blasphemers'.

So in terms of the word 'antichrist' being applied by some Christians, it does have some Biblical background although their behaviour does not. Christians are told to be loving towards others, to be humble and patient, not to judge or condemn others, and to look for logs in our own eyes before we point out the specks in those of others. None of these traits apply to most of the televangelists who go around bashing Muslims.

I don't see how labelling someone an 'antichrist' would be helpful in discussion with him or her, especially if we want to share our faith with them. John does not tell Christians to run around condemning and insulting people and he does not call anyone an antichrist to his face. The term is used  to denote people who deny Christian beliefs, but nowhere do the disciples go around calling people antichrists.

I think a comparison can be made with the word 'blasphemer' in the Quran. Muslims may believe it applies to non-Muslims who believe in the Trinity but in a friendly discussion with a Christian where both of you are conducting yourselves in a respectful manner you aren't probably going to yell 'you blasphemer!' at him or her.

I think there are many good and true things in Islam and I have a lot of respect for many Muslims, even if I believe that on certain issues you are mistaken. I believe that many of the vociferous and disgusting attacks on islambashing engaged in by certain 'christian' religious leaders like Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, Anne Coulter, others...are usually wrong, often unjust, almost always hypocritical, and always unChristian.

The pope changed his answers based upon soiciety but he still believes those views. I remember read about him and his beliefs on Islam and let me say that he had nothing good to say about it.

Can you show me where, please? I wouldn't be surprised if that was true but I'm curious to see what he actually wrote. The reason I'm saying this is sometimes the media misquotes people. I certainly had a lot of issues with Pope John Paul 2 but I think he was far more respectful towards Muslims than Ratzinger and he built many bridges with Muslims which sadly the new Pope is now destroying.

Cristo Vive!

- Tomasz

palistine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palistine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 10:22am

IN THE NAME OF ALLAH, THE BENEFICIENT, THE MERCIFUL.

HAPPY  RAMADAN!

I just couldn�t resist to lend few words on the topic; thought I have read the entire responses, I just think that you either have to be too ignorant or a hypocrite to be an oblivious to the sheer deceitfulness of these so called humanitarian workers who�s only agenda is to convert and lure, and have absolutely no respect for human life what so ever. After having studied the movement, I have come to realized that war and the entity are in- separable.  I hope iam not being too harsh but the hypocrisy of those serpent missionaries who have not only  blessed slavery, but are the sole perpetuators� of war and misery in this world AS WE SPEAK .

Like they say, pictures speak louder than words. Here is a bit of reality check for the author of the post and for those who defend the so-called humanitarian workers.   

Radical Christian Missionaries in Iraq

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owCXbDVTLRE

peace

Edited by palistine
Sawtul Khilafah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawtul Khilafah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 10:34am

They invade our countries, kill thousands of people making tens of thousands of children homeless and orphans. Then they gather the poor and the orphans who dont even know how to read or write and have little or no idea what religion they belong to and convert them by giving them a few gifts.

Tom123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by palistine palistine wrote:

IN THE NAME OF ALLAH, THE BENEFICIENT, THE MERCIFUL.

HAPPY  RAMADAN!

I just couldn�t resist to lend few words on the topic; thought I have read the entire responses, I just think that you either have to be too ignorant or a hypocrite to be an oblivious to the sheer deceitfulness of these so called humanitarian workers who�s only agenda is to convert and lure, and have absolutely no respect for human life what so ever. After having studied the movement, I have come to realized that war and the entity are in- separable.  I hope iam not being too harsh but the hypocrisy of those serpent missionaries who have not only  blessed slavery, but are the sole perpetuators� of war and misery in this world AS WE SPEAK .

Like they say, pictures speak louder than words. Here is a bit of reality check for the author of the post and for those who defend the so-called humanitarian workers.   

Radical Christian Missionaries in Iraq

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owCXbDVTLRE

peace

Happy Ramadan to you as well, Palistin.

I don't share your religion but I pray that God blesses you with peace and guidance during this season and throughout your life.

You have shown a video of some fanatics who lie and try to bribe people and claim to be doing it in the name of Christ. Some so-called 'christian missionaries' do that. Most others don't.

Have you heard of Mennonite Central Committee? Development and Peace? ChristianAid? Lutheran World Relief? Christian Peacemaker Teams?

These and many other Christian groups operate in parts of the world where there is great poverty and injustice, and they help people around them. They are Christian and are sharing the Gospel with others with their actions and their words too sometimes. They do not bribe anyone. They do not demonize anyone. For the most part they are highly respected by the people they help and work with, Christians and nonChristians. They speak out against imperialist US policies as loudly as you do, if not more. So don't put all Christian missionaries and aid workers in the same category.

Lastly, the video you showed is about US missionaries in Iraq. The people who were kidnapped, beaten and some murdered were South Koreans and they were in Afghanistan. They did not even verbally preach the Gospel but helped deliver medical aid and organized recreation activities for kids.

They had nothing to do with the zealots in Iraq.

BTW aren't there Muslim missionaries in Iraq, trying to convert people to Islam? Didn't you know that Iraq also has thousands of Christians, and Christianity in Iraq predates Islam?

In Iraq, are Iraqi Christians allowed to share their faith with others like Iraqi Muslims are? Or is prosyletizing only OK for Muslims?

Cristo Vive!
        - Tomasz

Tom123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Sawtul Khilafah Sawtul Khilafah wrote:

They invade our countries, kill thousands of people making tens of thousands of children homeless and orphans. Then they gather the poor and the orphans who dont even know how to read or write and have little or no idea what religion they belong to and convert them by giving them a few gifts.

Are you saying that the South Korean aid workers invaded Afghanistan?

Cristo Vive!
       - Tomasz
Sawtul Khilafah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawtul Khilafah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 3:25pm

Originally posted by Tom123 Tom123 wrote:

Are you saying that the South Korean aid workers invaded Afghanistan?

Cristo Vive!
       - Tomasz

South Korea sent troops to Afghanistan (as did the United States) then sent missionaries to convert.

Obviously, everyone does their own job. One man doesnt plan, bomb, shoot and convert people at the same time!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic