IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Men (Brothers)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The duties of Men (My personal view)  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The duties of Men (My personal view)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The duties of Men (My personal view)
    Posted: 21 May 2006 at 12:40pm

Salaam,

I hope this find all of you well. I wanted to make a seperate topic because I didn't want to take away from Moona's original question and if I contributed to that I apologize to sister Moona. I hope you (Muslimah's and people of the forum) will read clearly and respond to me in accordance of my words here rather interpret what you may think I'm referring to. Let me first say that there should be no circular explanations here in regards to the duties of men. I read the Qur'an serveral times over and have studied it in school and on my own personal time so I'm quite aware of the iplications of 'important verses' this including the duties of men.

My Position

I believe that a Muslim man in the faith of Islam has one of the greatest duties which is to be the provider of his family. He is the protector and trustee of his wife and partner and father of his children. He, like the wife is the example is which the children will see as models and will feed of the knowledge that he (the father) will teach them. With respect to this I understand the Qur'an is clear on the specific duties of men and although this is aparrent it is not always possible in every case.

For instance I noticed none of you members ever used an example of a Muslim Law Enforcement official either you guys don't know any or perhaps don't truly understand. I'm in a unique position here. I'm going to be done with the Academy soon and already have a station where I will be working. It is in my future at the station I will be working almost 50-55 hours per week this including overtime because I'm a "rookie" because rookies normally don't have "say so's" on what hours they want to work even with aset schedule. This is usually the first 6 months because I'm in probation and plus I need to pass my requirements as a rookie with several of my TO's (Training Officer).

This is really not the point because I know several guys now in the Academy who have wives at home and they have already made planning arrangements so this is not the issue, the issue is the independence of a woman. Let me be clear that I think the coment made by sister Mishmish when she said I wouldn' except a woman who believes its her right to stay at home is wrong. First off any good woman regardless what religion understands that if she loves her husband there would be some grounds for compromise first off. I want a woman who understands the dangers of my job. If I ever become incapacited or killed what will my wife do?

I want you guys to contemplate rather react emotionally and thump me over the head with Qur'an for a moment. Let us assume I have children and we live in a house and our mortage payments are $2500 per/month plus other expenses and let's say my wife does work to try to support her children what will she do? She will obviously work but she will have a difficult time because she is not only supporting herself, but the children as well as the house. She could move of course but even still the road to stability will be difficult. What I'm saying here is that I want a woman who understands herself and her capbilities but I also want a woman who also understands and knows that my life is temporal and its a possibility I may not come home.

This is not some job where there is no immediate threat like a Pharmecutical Tech, or a sit at home Mother or a Banker. I'm literally putting my life on the line to save each and every one of you (those in California at least) every single day. I need a woman to understand that and accept that reality. This is why I would want my wife to work because in the event that happens she can atleast manage the financial aspect and have the means to manage herself.

I know some of you would like to use the duties of men in accordance to the Qur'an to prove a point to me. No need. There are things in the Qur'an that we should do, must do and some we cannot always do. For instance we should judge judge each other on piety not culture, we must believe in God's Oneness but we don't always work our life around God's mandate on the duties of a Muslim family.

I feel some of the women here thumb their noses at me at the fact that I believe this. Well if women in Islam cannot understand my point then that is why I may feel that maybe being with a Muslim woman is not in my destiny. The hard part about finding good people is that there are not a lot and I don't feel like someone lecturing e about what I should do especially when my job is so dangerous and my life is always at an immediate threat. None of you will go what I will go through so in actuality, none of you can basically tell me "Women have this and that right and as a man I should understand that."

I feel that it would selfishness on a woman's aspect to think first about herself and what she can get out of a marriage rather than think about "family." It's funny that non-muslim women are on the same page as I am with this respect as well as some Muslim women I know. Some Muslim women do work because they understand that even to manage a simple lifestyle here is difficult. Some work because of cultural reasons because their families push them to be doctors or lawyers. Not like what Mishmish says "because they want to." Some Muslim women work because as immigrants their community forbade them to work.

One reality of our religion is that it is very much patriarchal and very much culturally influenced. but noting these particulars would be, besides the point. I'm not saying a woman should work hard hard and hard like me but at least even in partial, contribute financially. Not only does this teach independence (trust me in my life as of now I know some women raised to be dependent so not all women understand independence) but it also teaches interdependence because in relationships I feel that both the man and the woman should be equal partners. I hope you guys understand my position here and not may sweeping judgements in thinking that I think women should do this opr that but understand my opinion in respec with my career.

I'd like to here a reasonable argument from any of you women and men since many of you have opinions about what I should do. Knowing about my job now do you think I should let a woman stay home? If so, why? If not why? Knowing my situation as a cop do you think I'm wrong to believe this? I know to some of you I'm a "little brother" and whatever and to that I'm sure my respect level is low but honestly I'd like to hear (or in this case read) what you have to say.

Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2006 at 1:24pm

Assalamu Alaikum Brother Israfil:

"Let me be clear that I think the coment made by sister Mishmish when she said I wouldn' except a woman who believes its her right to stay at home is wrong."

I simply responded to what you wrote here: 

" I personally don't like it when some sisters ( not you in particular) say "It's my right to stay at home and so be it"

My reaction is like What!"

You have stated again and again that you will probably not marry a Muslimah because they hold this belief. In fact, you wrote it again in the above post:

"Well if women in Islam cannot understand my point then that is why I may feel that maybe being with a Muslim woman is not in my destiny."

Many people have dangerous jobs. For many Muslims, just living where they live: Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, Somalia, Palestine, is extremely dangerous. Death can come upon anyone at any time.

4:78 Wherever you may be, death will overtake you - even though you be in towers raised high. "Yet, when a good thing happens to them, some [people] say, "This is from God," whereas when evil befalls them, they say, "This is from thee [O fellow­man]!� <>Asad(4,92)

Brother, if your job is so dangerous and you feel that your wife has to work because of this, and to be prepared in case something happens to you, then why would you want to have a family? What if something did happen to you and your wife would be left alone to raise the children? She would only have one income, the very thing you feel you have to avoid. How could she make it alone with children on one income if you and she can not make it on one income?

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2006 at 1:39pm
Well said Mishmish. I would like to add that even during the time when Quran was being revealed, The Prophet(saw) and his companions went for wars. All of them were at risk of dying. Many of them died. Were the women commanded to work? No, the men, the society took care of them. Again, it isn't wrong for her to work. Especially today, when there is no society like in the time of Prophet (saw), which was the best of all societies. Women may have to work....so they should be educated and prepared. But "wanting" your wife to work is an entirely different thing...

Besides brother, earlier you gave a different reason for you wanting your wife to work, ie, to meet expenses, now you talk about her working after (Allah forbid) your death.

I can only pray for you brother, I sincerely wish Allah protects you and blesses you.

No offence...wassalaam...
Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2006 at 3:15pm

Wa Salaam

I'm glad you commented on those particulars, allow to explain in detail.

Mishmish your comments will be in bold:

Accoridng to my statement I was referring to women you say that it was their right to stay home. I made this comment in conjuction to my original thought in light of when I choose a mate. I should have been more distinctively clear in what actually I was referring to. If I'm choosing a Muslimah and let's say I told her my situation such as my career and let's say I'm looking for someone who is a professional like myself who can also contribute to the household financially. Given that knowledge if her only answer to that is "It is my right to stay home" I am going to react in opposition to that.

Especially if I'm telling you that what I'm, making cannot sustain two people especially if one is staying home. Well, actually my job can sustain two people but it would really be difficult. Rather, I'd avoid that by having a two party household working to a point where we both are financially secure and able to plan having additonal members to the family. I don't want to marry a woman who just wants to sit around the house only to household duties. I want an equal contributing member because I feel my wife is my equal. Now, we we get to a point where we are financially secure then if she wants we can both plan on how we can accomodate each other.

Many people have dangerous jobs. For many Muslims, just living where they live: Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, Somalia, Palestine, is extremely dangerous. Death can come upon anyone at any time.

You said:

>>>Many people have dangerous jobs. For many Muslims, just living where they live: Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, Somalia, Palestine, is extremely dangerous. Death can come upon anyone at any time. <<<<

That is true there are many people that live in dangerous environments and their lives are at risk there is no quarrel here. The difference I can only note that although their environement is dangerous this is a situation some cannot control, whereas in my profession I look for danger and embrace because I have the duty to contain these dangers.

Sister you said:

>>>>Brother, if your job is so dangerous and you feel that your wife has to work because of this, and to be prepared in case something happens to you, then why would you want to have a family? What if something did happen to you and your wife would be left alone to raise the children? She would only have one income, the very thing you feel you have to avoid. How could she make it alone with children on one income if you and she can not make it on one income? <<<<<

Sister that is the whole point not only is it a learning experience but I also want a woman to not be dependent on me in the event that something happens to me. Again the type of person I'm choosing is someone who is a professional like myself, someone who has a college education and someone who has a specialty in something that way she has no problem pulling in a salary (or wage) in that field and has the ability to bring in a supplimental income. This is why I said that I'm looking for a woman who understands these things. If a woman whom I'm seeking out is capable of love then she is also capable of understanding that there is the possibility I cannot provide for her.

It is best that a womn can be independent financially then rather than struggle later. Trust me she would have a harder time later if she didnt work than she did if she did work. At least while working she can make financially arrangements for herself and the children than if she did if she wasn't working at all. True a woman in a incident where the husband is incapcitated can plan financially arrangements but depending on the situation it would be a lot difficult. Some may choose to take out loans or depend on people. I would hope that isn't the case for my wife. I would hope as a professional she would not need that. She would be emotionally strong enough to financially plan just in case this happens. You aks how can she make it alone on one income if I feel that we both cannot live off my income?

First off I believe I noited the type of individual I'm looking for so that should answer your question. First off my mother was a single parent with me who had two jobs and raised us. She evntually got her own busniess and made really good money so any woman saying that they couldn't is a weak woman in my opinion. There are many like my mother who have worked and made good living by themselves. What my mother has missed out is a man who contributed equally. If she had one whop worked as hard and was as good of a person as she was she wouldn't have had to struggle. That is my point.....Eventually she would be able to plan her life and relax and stay home rather struggle like she did....That is my point.

Amah you may feel that I "want" my wife to work as wrong but that is how I feel. my wants are not necessarily bad and obviously they aren't because none of you gave a logical explanation to why it maybe bad so I assume what you are commenting on is me as a man who desires someone to be my equal. What the companions of the prophets went through was a different society. I cannot say it was the best society because we don't have a historical record of every society in human existence and even so, every society is different as the society of today is different. How they lived was a lot different than how we lived. So comparing how they lived then is very difficult in comparison to living arrangements. Sister Amah there is no difference in my reasons as you falsely claim. They are the same. I said I want my wife to work because it allows not only a supportive supplimental income but also she is not dependent on me because in the event that I become incapcitated or I die she is already working and able to financially plan how she will be able to survive without me....Honestly my reason makes all the best sense in the world according to my environement here in Southern California. I hope my clarification helps.

hakeema View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hakeema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2006 at 8:12pm

As-Salaam Alaiukum,

Israfil, I understand what you are saying.  My cousin is also a cop in California.  Two years ago he got into a gunfight with a criminal, and my cousin shot the criminal.  All of us was worried.  I mean he could've been shot and killed.  So I understand your point.  But, if you are concerned about how your future wife will handle herself financially you can set up some kind of fund that can help your wife financially if something were to happen to you.  I know that the money may not last forever but at least it will give her a little boost.  I know having life insurance is one good way.  My cousin is doing this for his wife and children.  His wife is a stay at home mother for now, but if something were to happen to him "TODAY" she does have something to fall back on.  She can go back to teaching school again.  She was a school teacher before she had her third child two years ago and decided to take a little break.  So I would just ask around.  I know the police department offer good benefits so I would just ask around.  Plus you are still young.  At least you have a chance to move around in the department, and make more money. Don't worry so much.  Just pray to Allah that he will provide for you, your future wife and children.

Hakeema  

Edited by hakeema
-ArabianKnight- View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -ArabianKnight- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2006 at 9:00pm
I think I understand What Israfil is saying...

its not about making sure the wife is taken care of.. but ensuring she has her independence. She is a person too.. no? Shouldnt She have a life of her own apart from the whole family thing? Some women are capable of doing the whole Career & Mother thing... some women arnt.. Everyone's life is different.

Its like some men go bald.. and others dont.... Just deal with it.

Originally posted by israfil israfil wrote:

I look for danger and embrace because I have the duty to contain these dangers.

Sweet!.. so do I... thats why I'm a volunteer Fireman..

Edited by -ArabianKnight-
THere Is no god, BUT GOD
and Adam was his First Messenger
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2006 at 10:13pm

Assalamu Alaikum:

Women don't have to work to have a fulfilling, independent life. Having a full time career can actually keep you from fulfilling many of your goals in life.

I understand what you are saying Brother Israfil. You are looking for a wife that can take care of herself and any children you may have on her own. But if you expect that of your wife, shouldn't she expect that of you? Shouldn't you expect that of yourself?

Besides, what if you get married, have children, and your wife were to die? What would you do then? You'd have yourself, children, and only one income.

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2006 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Mishmish Mishmish wrote:

Assalamu Alaikum:

Women don't have to work to have a fulfilling, independent life. Having a full time career can actually keep you from fulfilling many of your goals in life.

I understand what you are saying Brother Israfil. You are looking for a wife that can take care of herself and any children you may have on her own. But if you expect that of your wife, shouldn't she expect that of you? Shouldn't you expect that of yourself?

Besides, what if you get married, have children, and your wife were to die? What would you do then? You'd have yourself, children, and only one income.

Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic