IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Youth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 10 Things Every Muslim in West Should Do  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10 Things Every Muslim in West Should Do

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2005 at 10:23am

Assalamu alaikum,

You are so right, Sister Nausheen, about those who find it hard to live without their families finding it difficult to live somewhere else.  I suppose people have to weigh all the pros and cons with great care. 

In some countries people can find a freedom to actually practice and live their Islam freer than where they came from.  For others, the "bad" things about the west far outweigh the freedoms.  Either way, we cannot just all leave because some here do not like us!

There is no doubt that it is very difficult to raise Muslim children in the west, and getting harder all the time.  I feel very sorry for my Muslim friends here with children - they are constantly freting over one thing or another with their kids.  At least "back home" they would have their families to fall back on and people to set a good example as role models for their children.  Where to find that here?

I do believe that Muslims will continue to increase in the west, but it is not for everyone, that is for sure.  I pray that if you cannot go back, that Allah will grant you strength to raise your children as good Muslims here.

Peace, ummziba.

Edited by ummziba
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2005 at 8:31pm

Originally posted by ZamanH ZamanH wrote:

I  am not from the West. I am from India. Can't you see it on my profile on the L.H.S?? 

Oops! As they say, you have burst his bubble And as we say, haste is waste, he did not look before leaping ...

I agree with you Zaman, We should teach our children our culture. For me it is becoming too challenging and too tiering an endeavor. Perhaps I am the one who is considering what bugler has said ... ie go back.

I came here looking for something which is not there. My language, my cultrue and my heritage and above all my religion are my identities, and I want to identify these in my kids as well. I thought these things are not so scarce here, coz ppl from "back home" are living here since decades now. But they have lost most of what belongs to them. Its not that they are not religious, but there is something missing ... can't put my fingre exactly.

Ummziba has said that it is not impossible for muslims to live here, which is true, but it is very difficult to live without your family. I think it is a great place for muslims, who do not have much to fall back in their homelands, as for those who cherish their roots, should not leave those.

Peace,

Nausheen

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
ZamanH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZamanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2005 at 10:47am
I am not from the West. I am from India. Can't you see it on my profile on the L.H.S??
An enemy of an enemy is a fickle friend.
There will be more women in hell than men.
..for persecution is worse than the slaughter of the enemy..(Quran 2:191)
Heaven lies under mother's feet
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2005 at 12:48pm

bugler,

O.K., now I see what point you were trying to make.  Perhaps you don't realize that a lot of the Muslims in the west are not from somewhere else.  Some are second, third or fourth generation Canadians or Americans or Europeans or Australians and so on.  Many are converts.

So, where would we go back to?  We belong here just as much as you do.  You use the word assimilate - that is not what immigrants should have to do.  To assimilate means to become something other than what you are.  I'll use Canada as the example, since I know it best.  There are Greek-Canadians, Italian-Canadians, Finnish-Canadians, Malaysian-Canadians and so forth.  There are also Christian-Canadians, Jewish-Canadians, Sikh-Canadians, Muslim-Canadians, atheist-Canadians, and so forth.

What they all have in common is Canada.  They are all expected to follow Canadian laws and be tolerant of others.  They are not expected to forget about their "roots", no matter how many generations back, nor to forget about their religious beliefs.

Muslims can, and do, live in the west.  It is difficult because the society does not follow Islamic laws or traditions, but it is not impossible.  Just like you live in the west, but do not follow Islamic laws or traditions, this being easy for you as "your way" is the norm here.

Being offended that we wish to teach our children our "ways" is silly.  You have the right to raise your children as you see fit, so do we.

Telling us to "go back" is foolish.  What is needed is for you to learn tolerance, and that works both ways of course.  Hate and fear come from lack of knowledge.  Tolerance comes from understanding and knowledge.  I would suggest you might educate yourself about those who are different than you.

I would also point out (if you are American or Canadian or Australian) that unless you are aboriginal, you are also from immigrants!

Peace, ummziba.

bugler View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2005 at 12:30pm

Originally posted by ZamanH ZamanH wrote:

Also, Muslims should ensure that their children don't forget their native culture and adopt the Western culture. Western culture is too much different from Islam ( I see it just the opposite of what Islam stands for).  I know the difference between religion and culture, but I still believe any culture, other than the Western culture will surely be better than the Western "culture" for the Muslims to follow.

I'm just saying if this is the way you feel you should go back home to your own culture where you feel more comfortable among your own. This is western culture and if you cannot or won't assimilate then it's time to hit the road.

Obviously, you haven't achieved much at home because no where in the middle east do you have a democracy, But perhaps with your  "western" educations you can go back now and make a difference.

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2005 at 9:01am

bugler,

If you only came here to insult and not learn, don't bother - your insults hurt no one but yourself.

Peace, ummziba.

bugler View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2005 at 5:14am
If the west isn't what you want for you and  your children,perhaps you should consider moving to one of those islamic paradise states inthe middle east or southeast asia. There you could wallow in you islamic faith
ZamanH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZamanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 11:42am
Also, Muslims should ensure that their children don't forget their native culture and adopt the Western culture. Western culture is too much different from Islam ( I see it just the opposite of what Islam stands for).  I know the difference between religion and culture, but I still believe any culture, other than the Western culture will surely be better than the Western "culture" for the Muslims to follow.
An enemy of an enemy is a fickle friend.
There will be more women in hell than men.
..for persecution is worse than the slaughter of the enemy..(Quran 2:191)
Heaven lies under mother's feet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic