IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Who or what is killing Christianity?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who or what is killing Christianity?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2006 at 8:58pm

(we have few here in the earlier mornings and of course they are americans)

We bloody yanks are ridiculous ;)

DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2006 at 1:32am
Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

Have you ever watched the evangelicals on tv with the volume down...

Turn the volume off, and tune another TV to cartoons.  It can get really funny when you hear the televangelist talking like Spongebob.
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
eliyahu1 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eliyahu1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2006 at 4:59am
I was raised on Christian TV. I became a Christian nine years ago and since then I have grown in my faith and knowledge of it. Now that I have children, I will not watch most of those programs because of their sharp contrast with the faith of the new testament. It is so much show and glam, etc. I won't ridicule those people, but I can live the rest of my life without hearing shallow sermons and calls for money. Jesus isn't a showman. He isn't afraid of what people might say. He often cause a division in the crowds. The gospel in the new testament caused unrest at times. Many of these TV preachers make people laugh or misunderstand Christianity. I can safely say that Xian TV is not a proper representaion of Biblical Xianity.
BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2006 at 7:07pm

eliyahu,

Greetings and welcome.

"Now that I have children, I will not watch most of those programs because of their sharp contrast with the faith of the new testament. It is so much show and glam, etc. I won't ridicule those people, but I can live the rest of my life without hearing shallow sermons and calls for money. Jesus isn't a showman."

Absolutely correct observation.

I think the Televangelists and the Cybervangelists are causing the maximum damage to Christianity.

I don't know if it is correct but I have heard that one cannot change or switch to another church, in the same city or town, if one wishes to. The local "Fathers" don't allow that. Is that true?

BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2006 at 7:22pm

I have to agree with brother Israfil when he says (edited a li'l bit):

"evangelicals are everywhere and they are perhaps the most
profound sources of gospel preaching. But I have experienced so-
called Christianity first hand, not only growing up in the
Christian faith but as a both a Christian and as a Muslim.
Evangelical christianity is nothing more than extreme literalist
who believe that they must preach the "Word of God" but in the
same breath, condemn others to hellfire. These people are no
better than Islamic extremist who preach and twist holy words
for their own gain.
"

That is a valid observation.

Israfil, you think too much and you think well.

Angela: Keep on running. I do the same. There is no other choice. My evangelist friends upstairs would not let me go away and they have a ladies group who are taking my wife to church lunches every Tuesday to bring her closer to the Lord.

However, she has started telling the ladies what the Qur'aan says and the ladies are taking a great interest in listening to what the Muslim Yahweh says. 

Edited by bmzsp
eliyahu1 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eliyahu1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2006 at 4:12am

This is a reply to bmzsp,

This is about your Q about Christians not being allowed by the local "fathers" to change churches. While some church leaders, for various reasons (some reasonable and some not), would try to disuade members of their congregation from changing churches, it is not something that most leaders could do anything to forcefully prevent a member from leaving. Back in the days of the Catholic Church's power, to leave the "church" usually meant torture, execution, persecution, shame, etc.  In today's world, many leaders often resort to business styled, commercial agendas to keep people and money coming in. This is called being "seeker sensitive." But there is a large, yet scattered and a small percent, of Christians who do not embrace "seeker sensitive" programs to draw people in or other more "traditional" forms of the faith, like formal, tightly structured services, "official" leaders occupying leadership positions that must be filled by  "professionals," and a number of popular teachings like tithing money, the pre-tribulation rapture of the Chrisians (Jesus secretly snatching away all the true believers and then the end of the world begins to unfold- like the popular "Left Behind" fiction novels), insisting on large, impressive buildings to meet in, fancy and official names of the congregation or denomination (version) of the faith they embrace, etc.

I would also like to add as a side comment that, although I believe that the situations Israel is involved with since 1948 are a part of God's plan, I also grieve over the death and destruction Israel causes on others while trying to defend itself. I am broken in my heart over both Israeli and "Palestianian," Lebonese, etc. casualties and suffering, no matter who  is really at fault or not. All of it is a great trajedy. The land is indeed called "God's land" in the Bible. He also is clear and repetative that there is a designated area, of which Israel currently exists in a small part of it, which God calls His "promised land." He promised to give it to Jews at some point. However, many Christians are ignorant or intimidated by the fact that these promises were given a historical context of when God would give the land to Israel. It would be after a thorough purging of the Jewish people, after a great time of unpresidented calamity for Jews and all who identify with them as God's chosen people, after many of those still alive finally repent and embrace Jesus as their messiah and saviour. After all these things Jesus is to return and destroy the, still attacking,  enemies of Israel (whoever they are) and establish a universal kingdom of peace and true knowledge of God, effectively turning this world right side up. The current state of Israel is not that kingdom at all. It is a part of God's working through history which will one day be "crucified" like their true King, and then lie virtually "dead" and overwhelmed for a season. Then, will God send Jesus back and "resurrect" the Jewish people and their broken state back from hopelessness and near genocide. Israel will be totoally reborn in His way, fulfilling His intentions for them as a people to be a true "light to the nations" and be his Spiritual "sons." That is when the Surviving, Jews with new hearts will inherit the promised land in security and peace, without any disputers left, and without Jews forcibly taking anything unjustly. All the world will bow down to God and learn His ways of peace and righteousness, finally . No more Jihad, no more six day wars or occupations, no more war on terror, no more anti-Semitism or hate of any kind in anyone. There is so much more to this, but I hope that this is something for you to consider. This is part of what the apostle Paul and the prophet Jeremiah called "the hope of Israel."

Anyhow, that is my snippet of what is called "eschatology" (knowledge of the final things). I hope it adds to your understanding of Christianity a little more.

BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2006 at 9:45am

eliyahu1,

Thanks for the response.

Leaving the eschatology aside  , there is one point I would like to make clear. Qur'aan does confirm that the Jews were brought in the Holy Lands by Moses upon God's instructions. Thus the Jews were given part of certain lands within the Holy lands.

Even Muslims cannot deny that as Qur'aan states that clearly.

BMZ

eliyahu1 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eliyahu1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2006 at 7:45pm

bmzsp,

I was not aware of that about the Qur'aan's teachings about that. Where does it say that (I have an English copy)? Do the Hadith state anything about that? Also, my understanding is that many Muslims believe that once a geographic area is ruled by Islam, it must remain under Islam's rule forever and is "holy" in that respect. This is part of the reason for the desire of many to uproot and/or destroy the nation of Israel in its location which was once ruled by the religion of Islam. That land is forever banned from the rule of any other religion or people other than the "house of peace" which is Islam. Is that true?

Is there any teaching which clarifies which specific land(s) are counted as set apart for the Jews or "holy" for some reason? What makes the land "holy?" Do some Muslims still deny that certain lands were or are given to Jews by God in the middle east in spite of the Qur'aan?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic