Forum Description: Current Events
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Printed Date: 07 May 2024 at 2:40am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Egypt’s ’Dr. Ruth’: Muslims need better s
Posted By: wasi siddiqui
Subject: Egypt’s ’Dr. Ruth’: Muslims need better s
Date Posted: 26 April 2007 at 1:50am

CAIRO, Egypt (CNN) -- Dr. Heba Kotb is tackling a taboo in the Arab world unlike anyone else: She's talking about sex openly on a show broadcast all over the Middle East.

It's a big first in these parts of the world, and Kotb leaves little uncovered.

"We talk about masturbation ... sex over the Internet. We talk about sex and Ramadan. We talk about the wedding night," said Kotb. Entitled "The Big Talk," the show is broadcast once a week over a satellite channel from Cairo, Egypt.

It took the 39-year-old mother three years of negotiations to get her show on the air. And a main reason she succeeded is that she talks only about sex allowed in the Quran -- sex between husband and wife. ( javascript cnnVideo'play','/video/world/2007/04/25/sots.egypt.sex.doctor.cnn','2009/04/24'; - Watch sexologist describe why sex is good javascript cnnVideo'play','/video/world/2007/04/25/sots.egypt.sex.doctor.cnn','2009/04/24';">Video )

But even with that guideline, it's no easy sell.

The promo for "The Big Talk" starts with Kotb saying, "Sex. Don't be afraid. Join me to talk about sex without shame."

And people are doing just that. The show is gaining in popularity throughout the Middle East. So much so that Kotb just signed with a new production company and plans to push the sexual envelope even further in her discussions.

For the moment her main advice for married couples: Have more sex.

"You have nowhere else to get your sexuality but from your spouse. It's the only source available, so it's very important."

And for the men she has some blunt advice: "You have to have foreplay with your wife and you have to have sex with her frequently, not just when you want to."

Surgical dreams to sexologist

Growing up, Kotb desperately wanted to be a surgeon. But years later, when she started a family after medical school and wanted more time with her daughters, she decided to change paths.

"Leaving surgery felt like falling from a very high point to a low point. I thought, 'Oh my God, I'm going to end up just doing something less exciting.' I wanted to be productive."

It was while making that decision, that Kotb was writing a dissertation on sexual assaults. For the study, she needed to discuss normal sexual behavior and suddenly realized she had no idea where to start.

"I thought, 'Oh my God, me -- a medical doctor who has a masters; is working on a Ph.D. -- doesn't know anything about this.' How did all these people I was reading know about sexuality?"

So she started researching while wondering why her part of the world was so averse to talking about sex. It was something Kotb wanted to change and she found a way in the Quran: a passage that discusses sex between husband and wife.

The passage reads: "Your wives are as a tilth [land or soil to be cultivated] unto you; so approach your tilth when or how ye will; but do some good act for your souls beforehand; and fear Allah."

That verse, she says, makes it known that sex shouldn't just happen when the husband wants but that the wives have rights too.

"I was so proud of my religion when I saw that. My religion was advanced enough to talk about women's rights in sexuality how many years before modern science did?"

From that moment, there was no turning back.

First come patients, then the show

Kotb got her first degree in clinical sexology in 2003. A year later, she earned her doctorate in human sexuality, clinical sexology and pastoral counseling from Maimonides University in Florida.

All the while, her family showed steadfast support. Her father helped her to pay for her doctoral degree, while her husband kept pushing her to do what she loved.

And shortly after getting her degrees, she did, opening a clinic in downtown Cairo. In the beginning, things were rough.

"It was a mess," she said. "I had one or two patients per week."

But five years later, things have certainly changed. Now, Kotb's calendar is booked three months in advance. She says patients are much more open about sex and the specifics they talk about in her sessions.

She expanded her work to include television, launching "The Big Talk" several months ago. The show is, by all accounts popular, although you wouldn't know it from walking Cairo's streets.

In the middle of downtown, women refused to discuss the show when asked about it.

It was an expected sign of just how sensitive the topic of sex is in the Muslim world. And even though the men were more willing to talks about it, they were less than enthusiastic about the subject.

In fact, Kotb has critics on all sides. Those more liberal think she's not being open enough about sex, ignoring topics like extra marital affairs, homosexuality and pregnancy out of wedlock. Meanwhile, conservatives think sex is not for public discussion.

"There is no reason to talk about sex on television. Our society doesn't need something like this," a shopkeeper named Fawi said.

For her part, Kotb has no plans to slow down.

"I wanted to be the first sexologist in the Arab World not because of the challenge of being first," she said. "That didn't cross my mind. I did it because I was interested in the subject and I wanted to help people."

And she has no regrets.

"A mother of a friend of mine, when she first knew I was doing this career five years ago, she looked at me and said, 'Oh my God, are you teaching people to sleep with each other?'"

"I said 'yes,'" Kotb responded with a laugh. "That's what I do. This is the truth. And I'm very proud of this."

Replies:
Posted By: Abu Mujahid
Date Posted: 06 May 2007 at 1:08am

"Kotb got her first degree in clinical sexology in 2003. A year later, she earned her doctorate in human sexuality, clinical sexology and pastoral counseling from Maimonides University in Florida".

This says all about her academic up brining in Florida Univeristy, A Jewish playground that prey feeble minded people like her that looks fame and money on the expenses of Islamic modesty. This creature could be gynaecology Dr. helping muslim pregnant women in Cairo, asyut, Said Misr etc but alas she opted Jerry Springer Style among clean innocent muslims.

To surprise of many and with all correct Hadiths that orders men and women shouldn't discuss their intimacy with anyone else- except for few under strict conditions when necessary and with huge ramification,- her husband and father looks duyuth men by letting this loose canon brainwashed rented walks and preach filthy talks among real muslims. Besides, her selective rememberance of Islamic teaching shows how west is desperate to legitimize all ill characters under Islam. But these attempts has failed as military ones did. The war on Islam will continue as Islam  and Muslims grow stronger by every attack on its foundation.

If there was Islamic rule in Egypt she would be given Tazir and stashed away in Islamic rehab programs until she made towbah and become productive to muslim society.

Abu Mujahid

-------------
Islam need true muslims

Posted By: fatima
Date Posted: 06 May 2007 at 6:07am

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Assalamu alaykum

Very well said brother Abu Mujahid, SubhanAllah you got a good flare. But please to be effective you need to be more selective. There is a hadith of Sayyidina Muhammad sallallahu alayhe wassalam that tells us that we should give dawah according to the level of understanding of our audiance. But in this case you are spot on bro.

wassalam

-------------
Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL

Posted By: Muslim mind
Date Posted: 11 August 2007 at 10:58am

Salam Abu  bro.

I been reading this thread on sister Heba Kotb. I recently read an article on her. And it seemed quirt postive and encouraging.

I am not to sure on on her Islamically; but she does quote the Quran and hadith to back up her studies.

You said she is corrupting clean inncoent women-but she might be helping them? I mean, maybe by getting people to talk about these issues it would be a good idea...if it is allowed in Islam?

Mabye she has only taken selective teaching of Islam; but then if that is her area of spealization; then is it very wrong what she is doing?

Anyway, brothers and sisters, forgive me if i said anything wrong. I am always happy to learn about Islam and keep on growing.

:) Bless u all.

ps...Don't forget, in Asia, africa, and the middle east, we do have a very male dominated society, perhaps this is one of the reasons sisters like Heba Kotb are driven to help other women.

Posted By: syed123
Date Posted: 11 August 2007 at 12:15pm

Dr Heba Kotb a licensed sexologist is doing a great service to  muslims everywhere by   her informative talks on sexuality and associated issues.

Islam is a progressive religion which encourages dialogues and discussions on all the essential topics including sex within the confines of Quran and the Sunnah.

Islamic society is only going to stagnate if we do not encourage greater freedom of speech and an open forum  on all matters including sex.

All is not well among muslims with the ever increasing rates of divorce,marital incompatibilities,subjugation of the weaker sex in the name of islam etc

We need to have a honest look within our society and try to encourage progress and reform instead of falling prey to those  Mullahs preaching hatred and ignorance.

Posted By: Whisper
Date Posted: 15 August 2007 at 4:36pm

instead of falling prey to those Mullahs preaching hatred and ignorance.

Morshed, just a reminder, you forgot to add that "and Americans saved the Muslims in Bosnia and Kosovo" line in this such brilliant khutba

Every single thing in this entire world has no other reason for going wrong other than the Mullahs preaching hatred!

-------------
Sasha Khanzadeh

Date Posted: 15 August 2007 at 8:25pm

The topic of sex and marital problems  is a very serious and burning issue and needs to be tackled with maturity,modesty  and utmost importance which it deserves.

we, as Muslims, have a lot to learn about sex and �sexology� from our ancestors. One can find countless books in our classical Islamic literature that deal with the topic of �sex.� The treatises by Imam Suyuti on the topic of having sex are well known amonst the `ulema.

Individuals like Heba Kotb have to step in only because our Ulema and Scholars have failed in their duty to educate the Ummah .

One can see a clearly different attitude towards sex nowadays. Nowadays it�s almost a taboo. If you talk about sex, you�re basically being immodest, so to speak. I think there should be viable and healthy discussions on sex. Off course maintaining the  necessary islamic etiquette is necessary. .

Date Posted: 16 August 2007 at 1:39am

Morshed, we all know how important is sex and, as a Psychologist, I also know how Sexual Phobias effect our lives. That's not a problem at all.

The problem is that, as a psychologist, I also know the state of a mind that's obssessed with the one and only route cause of every single problem of our world!

Mullahs preaching hatred!

We would have enjoyed it if it were some fresh invention. The State Department has been trying to drum it into all minds, for ages, across the whole world just to mask their crimes.

Please get some fresh punch lines.

-------------
Sasha Khanzadeh

Date Posted: 16 August 2007 at 10:38pm

Morshed, we all know how important is sex and, as a Psychologist, I also know how Sexual Phobias effect our lives. That's not a problem at all

Again i would like to appeal to some of the contributors to focuss on the topic in this case  about Dr Heba Kotb and her revolutionary approach to the issue of sexual problems and not indulge in personal mudslinging  and waste everybody's time.

Thank you

Date Posted: 17 August 2007 at 12:14am

Again i would like to appeal to some of the contributors to focuss on the topic

My friend, "topic" is SOMETHING that's "DISCUSSED", Discussions are just a bit different from empty sermons.

and waste everybody's time.

We are well used to dicussions here, but we treat empty sermons as a mere waste of our time, specially, the ones with some bland Googled wizdom.

-------------
Sasha Khanzadeh

Date Posted: 18 August 2007 at 12:35am

I dont know about what  Whisper is talking about.Any ways its probably one of his daily dose of bitter  criticism  about me  which probably is necessary to satisfy  his own ego and make him feel good..

Without getting into another Slanging match all i can say is that certain individuals  like Whisper etc are quick in their character assasinations and ridicules without offering any kind of meaningful contributions of their own.

I have personally listed and read Dr Heba Kotb's talks and interviews and feel that she is filling an important vacuum in our societies by daring to talk and offer advice on issues regarding sexuality.

Date Posted: 18 August 2007 at 3:12am

I dont know about what Whisper is talking about. Any ways its probably one of his daily dose of bitter criticism about me which probably is necessary to satisfy his own ego and make him feel good.

Bitter criticism? Morshed, I have always had just sweet simple Whispers, of your own very taste! Why would anyone ever need anything more than having such a fine Morshed, for feeling good?

Without getting into another Slanging match all i can say is that certain individuals like Whisper etc are quick in their character assasinations and ridicules without offering any kind of meaningful contributions of their own.

Sir, do you leave your peasants any choice when at the very sight of any meaningful contributions you simply refuse to address them or jumpstart some other thread?

Sir, I hope you realise that some of us find this to be extremely rude, specially, when you treat the whole world as some sort of a peasants' camp.

-------------
Sasha Khanzadeh

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net