URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=895
Printed Date: 09 June 2024 at 4:46pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Dealing with non-Muslim parents
Posted By: ummziba
Subject: Dealing with non-Muslim parents
Date Posted: 13 May 2005 at 12:36pm

Assalamu alaikum sisters and brothers,

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but decided here would be O.K.  I think perhaps, only brand new Muslims read the "new Muslims" board and I need advice from anyone who might have some - anyway...

I know there are many reverts on the board.  I was wondering if anybody has any useful suggestions on how to deal with non-Muslim parents who do not accept that you are Muslim.

I have been a Muslim for many years, but still, my parents deny anything to do with it.  They hate that I am a Muslim, they hate that I wear hijab, they despise that I changed my name, they hate everything about my being a Muslim to the point that they pretend it isn't so.

They treat me with the barest civility, which is not the part that hurts, we were never all that close.  I try my best to be as good and kind to them as I can, as this is what Allah demands.  It's the little hurts that bother me the most. 

They never call me by my correct name (after all these years I've given up on trying to change that, though it hurts me everytime they call me by my 'other' name).  They almost always serve pork when my husband and I are invited to eat there.  Though I've told my mother umpteem times that I can't eat off of silver, she always "forgets" to put out a regular place setting for me.

When ever I have managed to voice something Muslims believe, my mother calls it stupid, or says things like, "I don't think God would want us to do that (or not do that)".  My parents quickly dismiss what I say or change the subject whenever it is about Islam.

I could go on and on, but will spare you from being bored to death!  My purpose is not to complain about my parents, but to get some help in dealing with their denial.

The thing is, though I have tried and tried, they do not wish to talk to me about religion.  They don't want to hear about Islam, or why I became a Muslim.  They don't want to hear about my beliefs or why I do or do not do certain things. 

It's as if, in their denial, they pretend that nothing has changed, that I am not standing there in hijab, that I am not anything but what they wish I were.

On top of this are the problems of their "values" in opposition to mine.  For example, my family all drink alcohol at every gathering.  They love to talk about sex, gambling and drinking.  They use a lot of "swear" words I find offensive. When I am with them, I feel so out of place!

I know it is forbidden to break the ties of kinship.  I wouldn't want to, really.  Any suggestions on how to deal with my family, especially my parents? 

Lately, I have settled on accepting things as they are, always asking Allah to give me patience to deal with them, always trying to be kind.  Sometimes I feel like a hypocrite though, because my inner thoughts and feelings toward them are so very strained. 

My parents are getting quite old.  I feel it would be a shame if they died before I could help them come to terms with who and what I am.  Any thoughts on this?  (By the way, my parents are Catholics, though not particularly religious.)

Peace, ummziba.

-------------
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~

Replies:
Posted By: aisha
Date Posted: 14 May 2005 at 5:39am
sallam sister,i know lust how you feel,i reverted to islam about 3 years ago,my parents dont belive in allah we offten have arguments about how they think the world was made and they always try to throw qustions at me thinking there is no answer,but i try to answer best i can or i look it up in the quran,it is hard to have parents like this but we still have to love them and care for them.inshallah allah will take of thier blindfold one day.

-------------
aisha

Posted By: ron75
Date Posted: 14 May 2005 at 3:34pm
Sorry about your experiences, but to keep things in perspective, those individuals that leave Islam from Christianity usually face far worse reactions from their family those would leave Christianity for Islam.

Posted By: Yusuf.
Date Posted: 14 May 2005 at 9:43pm

Originally posted by ron75 ron75 wrote:

Sorry about your experiences, but to keep things in perspective, those individuals that leave Islam from Christianity usually face far worse reactions from their family those would leave Christianity for Islam.

to put it bluntly, ron, who cares? this thread is to help Muslims deal with their problems, not for people like you to pontificate.

-------------
Yusuf

Posted By: nadir
Date Posted: 15 May 2005 at 2:50pm

Assalaamu alaikum

Peace Sister Ummziba,

& welcome Aisha, I hope you enjoy & learn from your stay here (I sent you a PM welcoming you, as I did not know if you would return to this thread)�..

Sorry to hear of your difficulties Ummziba, I can sympathise only too well, seen as though I am cooped up here with my parents, who are also not Muslim.

My conversations regarding Islam are equally unappreciated, hence I have turned to my creative talents to try to open up my parents (& the rest of my family). I do not even mention Islam much anymore, rather I covertly use techniques designed to help them appreciate Allah (SWT) in all His Glory�..

A brief example of this is something I tried with my father, during his �mid-life crisis� he took up hobbies including art & photography. I consciously try to communicate on his level, using things he likes as a platform to get him thinking��.

I asked him about the fact that, if he were to take a photograph of the night sky, the photo would not pick up the stars in the sky, due to the limitations of cameras (ie the requirement for the long time exposure, needed to pick up the [distant] light from the stars).

I then asked why it is that, if we as human beings merely glanced at the night sky (ie a very brief exposure), we can still instantly see the stars?

Obviously I was trying to get him to realise how magnificent his sight is, and how supreme Allah�s creation is (our eye-sight), compared to man-made creations (ie a camera). His answer to the question, was a typical example of the conditioning he has been put through, as he stated (without much thought): �I don�t know, a physicist could probably tell you�. Doh!

In other words, he assumes (as many do) scientists have all the answers!!!

Ummziba maybe your parents are a bit freaked out, & cannot handle the fact that you have changed, and are now not as (blindly) accepting of their values. Maybe when you visit them you could remove your Hijab when in the house (you may already do so), showing them that you are still you, only the more improved version�.. just a suggestion.

Wasalaam

nadir    

Posted By: firewall
Date Posted: 15 May 2005 at 8:54pm
i'm sorry to hear that.. but i hope you can heal your own heart first, before your parents. there's a saying, "you can't give what you don't have". so i hope you'll have happiness in Islam, & then you can radiate it to your parents -- even if they dislike Islam, they're still human. & Humans love people being good to them. True?

I've read some articles on new Muslims, that they finally win over their parents by them being a better person. Their parents feel happy to have a good son/daughter that treats the great. Treats them wonderful. Just start from there, hopefully it will work out. & a lot of patience is required too, but I guess you already have that. :)

insya Allah, all will be well. Maybe you can pray to Allah to soften their hearts. good luck!

Date Posted: 16 May 2005 at 10:32pm
ron, your private message to me was deleted unopened, and I've blocked you from sending any more. If you don't have the character to state your opinions in the open, that's your problem.

-------------
Yusuf

Posted By: ZamanH
Date Posted: 17 May 2005 at 11:27am

Originally posted by ron75 ron75 wrote:

That depends more on the culture of the person, rather than religion. African, Arab and Indian non-muslims will act in the same way as Muslims over such matters. Muslims in Eastern Europe will act differently.

-------------
An enemy of an enemy is a fickle friend.
There will be more women in hell than men.
..for persecution is worse than the slaughter of the enemy..(Quran 2:191)
Heaven lies under mother's feet

Date Posted: 24 May 2005 at 10:46am

Originally posted by Yusuf. Yusuf. wrote:

ron, your private message to me was deleted unopened, and I've blocked you from sending any more. If you don't have the character to state your opinions in the open, that's your problem.

No reply.

As I suspected, ron, it appears you do not have the character to discuss issues in the open.

-------------
Yusuf

Posted By: blond
Date Posted: 24 May 2005 at 11:39am

During the negotiations of the Hudabuyia expedition, the Prophet (pbuh) signed his name "The Messenger of Allah". The enemy would not accept this. So, he crossed it out and signed "Son of Abdullah".

Posted By: ummziba
Date Posted: 24 May 2005 at 5:05pm

Assalamu alaikum,

I want to thank everyone who has given me advice in this thread.  Sometimes one needs to see things from someone else's perspective in order to see more clearly, all your input has helped me with that.

I guess I don't need my parents "approval" of my religion (or me for that matter, any more than I ever did).  I think it just irks me that they are so bigoted.  Of course I can't change them (and was foolish to think I could!), so I'll have to just take them as they are.

Peace, ummziba.

-------------
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~

Posted By: herjihad
Date Posted: 26 May 2005 at 10:27am

Bismillah,

I really thought that my family would at least acknowledge my holidays, put it on their calendars, call or send a card, but no.  For a couple of years I hinted that my kids would like Eed presents a month before the holiday, and they did get some small gifts and cards. 

This year, my dad gave presents to the kids on our holiday. (I think it was money, but that's the norm for him.)

If you have the time and energy, why don't you send them a Happy Eed card a week before the holiday to remind them?  You could send a small gift as well.

Thanks for reminding me why I want to go live in Jordan.  My kids deserve to have respect for their religion!  It's so nice to be around a lot of other people celebrating when you are.

-------------
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.

Posted By: modarjan
Date Posted: 21 June 2005 at 3:20pm
Assalamualaikum. my humble suggestion will be to let your actions speak it all, what Islam is all about. persevere through patience even in the hardship you face with unislamic and insensitive attitude towards you. that includes them placing silver for you. in a very indiscreat way, eat as you like. following the tradition of prophet(pbuh) or them eating pork. just ignore and in your heart say a prayer for them that Allah swt brings the light to them, inshallah ameen. I see the strentgh in your eeman, when I read your responses. inshallah, Allah swt will help you to touch their heart once again. in my prayers. modarjan

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net