Print Page | Close Window

Mohammad & Wives

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Religion - Islam
Forum Name: Islam for non-Muslims
Forum Description: Non-Muslims can ask questions about Islam, discussion for the purpose of learning.
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8283
Printed Date: 23 April 2024 at 11:25pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Mohammad & Wives
Posted By: senekerk
Subject: Mohammad & Wives
Date Posted: 18 January 2007 at 8:43am

Bismillahi Ah-Rahman, Al-Rahim

Assalaam alaikum

I am over half way through Martin Lings Mohammad.  I am troubled by the many times in which the prophet (pbuh) seemed to marry the most beautiful girl of his conquests and had revelations telling him it was alright. That seems a little ironic to me.  Perhaps it is my western mind that finds the idea of more than one wife troubling. would someone please help me understand this. thank you in advance

-------------
Kay

Replies:
Posted By: rami
Date Posted: 18 January 2007 at 10:54am
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

assalamu alaikum

I think you should read the passages carefully sister,

with the exception of Aisha all his wives where not virgins, either older women, divorced or widowers whom he only approached after revelation.

In Islamic culture/religion after the first wife Muslim men would generally marry widowed or divorced women to look after them, try to imagine a widowed or divorced women living in conditions 1400 years ago.

Muslim men do not just see outward beauty when describing a women which i think is how you are understanding the passages, combine what you know with what our prophet said about women and how men should treat them and you will gain a holistic understanding of how he viewed women.

He (God) it is who did create you from a single soul and therefrom did create his mate, that he might dwell with her (in love)...(Qur'an 7:189)

The Prophet Muhammad. (P) said:

The best of you is the best to his family and I am the best among you to my family.

The most perfect believers are the best in conduct and best of you are those who are best to their wives. (Ibn-Hanbal, No. 7396)

-------------
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.

Date Posted: 18 January 2007 at 11:11am
perhaps then it is the author who seems to make an issue out of the beauty of the wives.  I did overlook the fact that the wives were widowed or divorced.  I know from what i have read that the qur'an speaks about how widowed and divorced women should be taken care of. Thank you for reminding me.

-------------
Kay

Posted By: rami
Date Posted: 18 January 2007 at 11:09pm
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

That may be allahu alam, i no longer have my copy of the book so i cant check up on it but remember that these women wore the veil and where modest and careful not to show there outward beauty.

Any comments on the full measure of there beauty would have been made after the fact and come from other women who knew them personally as Muslim men do not talk about there wives or women in general espetialy to other men, as people of our times do. The author would have combined a number of different accounts about these women from diferent sources and circumstances while he was researching the book and then amalgamated them into narrative form. This is the beauty of this book as you are not reading it as a chronological order of facts which other works do.

this work brings the historical figures to life which is something "the sealed nectar" another popular biography does not do or at least its English translation anyway.

-------------
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.

Posted By: DavidC
Date Posted: 19 January 2007 at 2:00am
Hi Kay,

Remember Lings is drawing 100% from Hadith.  This has some obvious advantages, but you also get a few problems.

Different hadith are sometimes conflated, context is lost and Lings cannot go in and add too much explanation or commentary. He has picked out the most relevant hadiths and roughly arranged them for us, but does not go much further.

In any case, there seems little doubt Muhammad was a moral exemplar for his time and culture.

-------------
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.

Posted By: Sign*Reader
Date Posted: 21 January 2007 at 11:29pm
Salaam Kay:
I had recommended the Br. Ling's acclaimed book for it's beautiful language and unique narrative loved by all I have come across.

Your point on his marriages should never be compared with the current western norm. Need a comparison look up the Prophets of the OT.

What is page  # you have the issue with the author and we can discuss the appropriate detail for your edification.

Rami and David's responses were just superb scholarship.

-------------
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.

Date Posted: 22 January 2007 at 5:00pm

Originally posted by Sign*Reader Sign*Reader wrote:

Salaam Kay:
I had recommended the Br. Ling's acclaimed book for it's beautiful language and unique narrative loved by all I have come across.

Your point on his marriages should never be compared with the current western norm. Need a comparison look up the Prophets of the OT.

What is page  # you have the issue with the author and we can discuss the appropriate detail for your edification.

In respect to what has been written, I am focusing on a trival word-beauty- pg 168- Hafsa bint Umar described as beautiful and accomplished.

pg 213-Umm Salama described as a great beauty

pg 219 Zaynab bint Jash described as beautiful amd the Prophet(pbuh) was amazed by her beauty.

Pg 250 Juwaryirya, a captive- described as woman of great lovliness and beauty

pg 279 Safiyya bint Huyayy Captured in battle, described as beautiful-caused jealousy among other wives

pg 286-287 Maria al Qibitiyy- slave?? Prophet (pbuh) marveled at her beauty reavelation on banning.

I can see where some people would exploit the use of this word and cast doubt on the Prophet (pbuh) and his motives.  When i did a search for wives of Muhammad I got a list with motives and most were charity or political to cement relations with others. I don't really have a problem with more than one wife, but that word beautiful kept jumping out at me. 

-------------
Kay

Posted By: peacemaker
Date Posted: 23 January 2007 at 5:53am

Senekerk:

Please ask your questions in Islam for non-Muslim section. This thread will be moved there.

Peace

-------------
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13

Date Posted: 23 January 2007 at 6:03am
Thank you peacemaker.

-------------
Kay

Posted By: Arab
Date Posted: 23 January 2007 at 6:10am

Salam Alaikom. Well, lets not forget that the prophet never wanted to marry after Khadija whom he greatly loved.

The main reason he married many women was that the Arabs were tribal people. They have been divided for hundreds of years. So he was afraid that after he dies, if he had only married one woman from one tribe the people would fight. The tribe boasting that he only married from them. So he married a woman from the biggest tribe so that there would be no problems between them. He didnt care about women (as in sexually) proof is that he was offered by the Quraish tribe to be their king and their richest one and to get all the women he wants as long as he gives up calling ppl to Islam. He refused and said that "I sware by the name of God oh uncle that if they place the moon in left hand and the sun in my right hand that I should leave this matter I did not leave it until God makes it triumph or I perish defending it".

Even his beloved wife Aisha reported that he could ignore sexual activity and all these things for an infinite amount of time. Prayer was all he cared about and "He was the living Quran".

Hope I cleared it up senekerk. So in conclusion the mainr eason was not to divide the Arabs and so that they wont have conflicts after his death. Keep in mind the Arabs would go to war over anything two tribes once went to war for 40 year over a goat. They had an argument who would have the goat! And killed each other for fourty years!

Date Posted: 23 January 2007 at 6:14am
Yes as you said. He said after Khadija died to one who told him why dont u get married that "and is there any woman after Khadija" thats how greatly he loved her and he would always speak of her in front of his wives which would make them jelous. He would also never forget her friends and give them charity because he loved Khadija greatly.

Date Posted: 23 January 2007 at 10:18am

OK so he married to form bonds with Arab tribes, and he did not really want to marry and sex wasn't an issue so why did he marry beautiful women?

-------------
Kay

Date Posted: 23 January 2007 at 10:20am
He was a human being and who doesnt love beauty? Plus not al the woman he married were beatiful, many were and theres nothing wrong with that as I said who doesnt love beauty.

Date Posted: 23 January 2007 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by senekerk senekerk wrote:

OK so he married to form bonds with Arab tribes, and he did not really want to marry and sex wasn't an issue so why did he marry beautiful women?

By asking this type of questions you are past the point of seeking into rude trolling and wasting the time and energies of sincere members of this forum. You have overlooked the rest of his grand performance and and being a picayunish on his personal life.

Allah does not tolerate the rudeness to his messenger and doesn't care for someone who has pathetic ideas stuck into her head. IMHO the Satan is whispering this to nafs.

My answer to your question is>>>>>>>> why not?

I think your nafs (ego) will not be satisfied by any body when you let your wild imagination run into trivial non productive areas of such sort of seeking.
I would suggest that other folks to stop answering this kind of nonsense.

Arab: salaam
 If I remember correctly that you are graduating from high school wants to study psychology, mashallah you have good knowledge of faith and you like to help and  inform the seekers.
Ithink you are young and sincere but you know your efforts will well served for some one who is really seeking and not trolling.

-------------
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.

Date Posted: 23 January 2007 at 2:33pm

By asking this type of questions you are past the point of seeking into rude trolling and wasting the time and energies of sincere members of this forum. You have overlooked the rest of his grand performance and and being a picayunish on his personal life.

Allah does not tolerate the rudeness to his messenger and doesn't care for someone who has pathetic ideas stuck into her head. IMHO the Satan is whispering this to nafs.

My answer to your question is>>>>>>>> why not?

I think your nafs (ego) will not be satisfied by any body when you let your wild imagination run into trivial non productive areas of such sort of seeking.
I would suggest that other folks to stop answering this kind of nonsense.

Arab: salaam
 If I remember correctly that you are graduating from high school wants to study psychology, mashallah you have good knowledge of faith and you like to help and  inform the seekers.
Ithink you are young and sincere but you know your efforts will well served for some one who is really seeking and not trolling.

I am truely sorry you think I am being rude. I am not a troll and my feeling are very hurt by your sarcasm.  I am 58 yrs old not graduating from high school and after reading about four wives who were described as beautiful I was a little put off by it.  The rest of the book is not a problem. and I know it is a trival point but somehow it makes Muhammad (pbuh) less prophet like and more male-like and I just want to understand.  I think an apology is owed

-------------
Kay

Date Posted: 23 January 2007 at 2:35pm

Originally posted by Arab Arab wrote:

He was a human being and who doesnt love beauty? Plus not al the woman he married were beatiful, many were and theres nothing wrong with that as I said who doesnt love beauty.

Thank you arab this is the answer I expected and I accept it

I guess the best answer is because Allah willed it.

-------------
Kay

Date Posted: 23 January 2007 at 5:47pm

Sign reader, i can not afford to hold a resentment over what you said I admit I was pickyunise and trite concerning the word beautiy please accept my apologies. i must let my hurt feelings go and let allah handle the situation

Regards Kay

-------------
Kay

Posted By: ZEA J
Date Posted: 23 January 2007 at 8:46pm
Now i am begining to wonder wheather senekerk is here to learn about islam or to creat fitnah.

-------------
"You will never attain piety and righteousness,(and eventually paradise)until you
spend of that which you love."(Al-Imran:92)

Posted By: Andalus
Date Posted: 23 January 2007 at 9:33pm

Bismillahi Ah-Rahman, Al-Rahim

Assalaam alaikum

I am over half way through Martin Lings Mohammad.  I am troubled by the many times in which the prophet (pbuh) seemed to marry the most beautiful girl of his conquests and had revelations telling him it was alright. That seems a little ironic to me.  Perhaps it is my western mind that finds the idea of more than one wife troubling. would someone please help me understand this. thank you in advance

Greetings senekerk.

I am not sure what particular thing is troubling to you?

So it is wrong to marry more than one woman in your view?

So it is wrong for a man to be attracted to a woman who has some physical attribute that is pleasing to the eye?

Please clarify.

[/QUOTE]

-------------
A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/

Date Posted: 23 January 2007 at 9:46pm

Salaam Kay:

In respect to what has been written, I am focusing on a trival word-beauty- pg 168- Hafsa bint Umar described as beautiful and accomplished.

pg 213-Umm Salama described as a great beauty

pg 219 Zaynab bint Jash described as beautiful amd the Prophet(pbuh) was amazed by her beauty.

Pg 250 Juwaryirya, a captive- described as woman of great lovliness and beauty

pg 279 Safiyya bint Huyayy Captured in battle, described as beautiful-caused jealousy among other wives

pg 286-287 Maria al Qibitiyy- slave?? Prophet (pbuh) marveled at her beauty reavelation on banning.

I can see where some people would exploit the use of this word and cast doubt on the Prophet (pbuh) and his motives.  When i did a search for wives of Muhammad I got a list with motives and most were charity or political to cement relations with others. I don't really have a problem with more than one wife, but that word beautiful kept jumping out at me. 

So you would be happier if someone described them as ugly? Do you think that if any of them were ugly, that a companion would have transmitted that word in any form?

Look at Umm Salama.

She declined the Prophet's (saw) invitation for marriage because she was of age and already had 4 children!

-------------
A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah

Date Posted: 23 January 2007 at 9:47pm

So he should only choose ugly women? The leaders of other tribes should only offer ugly women?

Senekerk, I am not sure what your particular trouble is?

-------------

Date Posted: 23 January 2007 at 9:50pm

Sign reader, i can not afford to hold a resentment over what you said I admit I was pickyunise and trite concerning the word beautiy please accept my apologies. i must let my hurt feelings go and let allah handle the situation

Regards Kay

senekerk,

some may seem to be quick to label you as a troll or missionary, etc. This is due to some of the ugly bashing that takes place in the internet. Please do keep up your investigation, and your questions, and keep your heart open to what you may find.

May God guid us all.

-------------

Posted By: DavidC
Date Posted: 23 January 2007 at 10:06pm
Look at Qu'ran 18:7-18:8 in the Asad translation and also in the Yusuf Ali translation.  The differences indicate we might benefit from going back to the Arabic  on this use of 'beauty'.

It could also be a idiomatic use too.  In American culture we always call brides and babies beautiful even though that might not be an objectve truth .  Perhaps the authors of the hadiths were simply being polite.

-------------
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.

Date Posted: 23 January 2007 at 10:13pm

Regards Kay

My dear Kay:
I am sorry that it had to come to this kind of exchange between us. My comment was not meant to hurt you at all rather to set a threshold i.e., what is the limit in this journey of yours  into the house where Muhammad (pbuh) happens to be the King of hearts. And no body enters unless heart and mind is in absolute alignment in reverence of the owner of the realm; meaning that he would be dearer than our parents, children and our spouses cuz he came back from the presence of Allah to complete the message for us and cleared the path by traveling each aspect of it in its perfection and selflessness of character. He was a man like no other man that
in Quraan 33:56-Lo! Allah and his angels shower blessings on the Prophet. O ye who believe! Ask blessings on him and salute him with worthty salutations.
The masses are blind being with 20/20 sight, they have the visions for the Almighty cuz of him. Knowing what sacrifices he made that transformed the companions from the barbarians to the elite of humanity. If you read about the details of his wives they became the delegates for him towards the woman folks of the community cuz they would learn his character  and qualities first hand and transmit and train others after he was gone.
The last but not the least thing about entering in the
house of Islam starts with the Kalima:
which starts with la ilaha meaning there is no god, why does it start like that cuz you would need to wipe the slate clean before from your heart and mind that also includes your selfish ego, next is illiah but Allah and Muhammad is His messenger.
These are the stages you need to understand.
Peace to you

-------------

Posted By: amah
Date Posted: 23 January 2007 at 11:22pm

Bismillah..

Senekerk,

It is natural to have doubts at this stage, shaitan is working overtime after you. But you need to cast aside these doubts and concentrate on the bigger things. Say "aoozobillahi minash shaitanir rajeem". (I seek refuge in Allah from satan the rejected)

My brothers have explained so well to you that I have nothing to add. Keep reading quran (translation) and keep reading books on islam. MAy Allah help you find the true path.

wassalaam. 

-------------
Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)

Date Posted: 24 January 2007 at 1:19am

I think senekerk is sincere in her questions  let her clear her doubts now better then having them latter and or forgetting about them and having them affect her uncontiouse mind. Senekerk, what you are having trouble with is what also many Muslims have troubles with. Not the prophets marriage, but understanding him. You see, at times he would behave as a normal human being, he gets married, he has conflicts with his wives and they make up etc. At times he would behave as a prophet, at times as a friend. We have to be able to understand these different parts of his life. For example, a conflict happened between two Muslims Al Zubair and another guy may Allah be pleased with them. So they went to the prophet for him to judge between them, and he told Zubair that it would be better for you if you did so and so. Zubair understood the different parts the prophet had so he asked him "is this an advice from a friend or is this the ruling of a prophet"? And the prophet said "no its an advice from a friend".

He had different parts of his life, and we have to know how to differ between them. For example, since he was a prophet and it would be better for us to imitate hm since he is our role model, should we also eat all that he ate and sleep like he slept etc. No these are personal things these are parts of his normal life as a human being we dont have to immitate them. So you have to be able to understand that he was a normal human being like us he used to get happy and get sad and laugh and joke and so on. If he didnt have these human urges that he had we would have said "well then how are we supposed to take him as a role model he didnt even have the urges we had". U know? So he was like us, but divinely inspired. A man, a ruler, a father, a husband, a friend, a prosecuted man, a politician, a negotiator, a single guy, a Prophet, a religious leader, a general, everything so that we would take him as a role model in everything but we have to understand the different aspects of his life. People study this at Islamic colleges for years and years, its hard for me and or you to understand this in one discussion. For example, there was a specific type of honey he didnt like because it would cause bad breath so he didnt use to eat it, can we eat it? Of course. He used to get sad and cry at times for example when his son Ibrahim died and when he was escaped Mecca, should we do the same thing if it happens to us and have the same reaction? We dont know because every human being has a different reaction. He is the best role model for us but he was still human and has the right to behave like one.

Date Posted: 24 January 2007 at 1:28am
Keep in mind that his entire biography and hadiths which speak about him are as wide as the wall of a house lol. They are thousands and thousands of pages so do not expect by reading this book that you will understand his personality and so on this is a mere summary of what happened.

Posted By: hat2010
Date Posted: 24 January 2007 at 4:53am
Peace, Arab - your generous heart is a shining example of what this
forum can be used for. I have been reading your exchanges with Kay and
really dig your soulful posts.   Bless you - wa t'barak Allah, ya khoya.

Senekerk - Ask yourself what you are getting out of this experience.
Hopefully, folks like Andalus and Arab have shown you some of it's
magic. I, for one, have gelled with a few folks here and (naturally) am
repelled by others.

We can all be hurt by rough responses to our questions, like yours.

But then you read on - and see there is more spiritual depth to all of the
characters here, including S*R. A tough-looking but warm hearted Zen
Master (as maybe a few gruff fellows might be around here) ready with a
stick in case you get drugged listening to the sound of one hand clapping
or too caught up with questions that will lead further from any effective
realizations of the divine.

As they'd say in the Lower Ninth Ward, "Keep your eye on the donut, not
the hole, sugah!"

Anyway - more concisely - since I am part of this community for the time
being I will say what should be said without the rationalizing/moral
Tartufferie:

"I am sorry. It was short sighted and wrong to suggest you were a troll,
making fitna, etc."

Bless you, sweet Kay - God keep you close and God help us all Jamal
Morelli

Date Posted: 24 January 2007 at 5:58am

Look at Qu'ran 18:7-18:8 in the Asad translation and also in the Yusuf Ali translation.  The differences indicate we might benefit from going back to the Arabic  on this use of 'beauty'.

It could also be a idiomatic use too.  In American culture we always call brides and babies beautiful even though that might not be an objectve truth .  Perhaps the authors of the hadiths were simply being polite.

Thank you for this explaination.

I think senekerk is sincere in her questions  let her clear her doubts now better then having them latter and or forgetting about them and having them affect her uncontiouse mind. Senekerk, what you are having trouble with is what also many Muslims have troubles with. Not the prophets marriage, but understanding him. You see, at times he would behave as a normal human being, he gets married, he has conflicts with his wives and they make up etc. At times he would behave as a prophet, at times as a friend. We have to be able to understand these different parts of his life.

Arab-i think you hit the nail on the head so to speak. Thank you for your time and explainations and support.

This site means alot to me and I learn very much from it.  It has been a positive experience for me and I don't want anything to hamper that. So bear with me while I ask my questions. Bismillah  Ar-Rahmaan Ar-Raheem this is what I cling to and try to emulate.

Peace

-------------
Kay

Date Posted: 24 January 2007 at 11:06am
We are with you sister  dont worry, we are with you. It has also been a positive experence for me and honor sister.

Posted By: hat2010
Date Posted: 25 January 2007 at 5:28am
Heard this morning on an mp3 of hadiths and then went and found it
online to post -

seemed pertinent, anyway...

Bismillah,

On the authority of Al-Hasan bin Ali, the grandson of the messenger of
Allah, who said : I memorized from the messenger of Allah his saying :

"Leave that which makes you doubt for that which does not make you
doubt."

narrated by Termithi and Nasaee, and Tirmithi said it is true and fine
hadith.

Date Posted: 25 January 2007 at 6:12pm
I will remember that. Thank you Jamal

-------------
Kay

Posted By: on1on5
Date Posted: 26 January 2007 at 11:44am

I had been away from the dscussions for the last few days and wondered about the reactions of muslims about the topic when I saw the heading. I am glad to see that everything is okay and peace has come back to the forum. I want to thank especially to Arab who grasped the subject strongly and narrated a very understandable, simple but rich paragraph about the view point of Islam towards the last prophet.

I read another book written by Lings however his perspective seemed to be covering the culture rather than having a deep insight into the religion itself. I hope I am not forcing the treshold of politeness by explaining this idea since I am certainly not a writer nor an authority about Mohammed's (sav) life. As a citizen of a developing country (as the developed say) I am well aware of that muslims will be bothered with similar questions either about Mohammed's private life or about some other issues which doesn't seem easily understandable by the western mind. These exercises will help the muslim to develop the way of thinking and deepen their sincere understanding of Islam and help newcomers pass over the obstacles of mind they encounter during the walk to the reality.

This discussion was an exciting one, thanks everybody for their contributions.

I hope Kay will not stuck on rough points but walk through the wider way of understanding. In time muslims learn more about life and about Allah and become closer to Allah so that rough points become smoother and questions find their answers one by one.

As salaam.

Date Posted: 26 January 2007 at 4:04pm

on1on5 wrote: 

I hope Kay will not stuck on rough points but walk through the wider way of understanding. In time muslims learn more about life and about Allah and become closer to Allah so that rough points become smoother and questions find their answers one by one.

There is a lot of truth in what you say.  I have been told acceptance is the answer to most of my problems.

Jamal thank you for the link. it was a good article

-------------
Kay

Date Posted: 26 January 2007 at 6:17pm

Salam Alaikom.. I also would like to add that (unfortanetly I cant findthe hadith humber for this, Im trying to find it) that the Prophet never saw any of his wives completely without clothing out of respect to them and never allowed any of them to see him in that way either. I will try and find the hadith humber insha Allah

Date Posted: 27 January 2007 at 6:25am

As Salaam Alaikom

Arab, thank you for your kindness, but it is not necessary for you to find the hadith.  I am through this rough spot.  Your previous posts satisfied my questions.

Peace

-------------
Kay

Date Posted: 27 January 2007 at 7:12am
 my pleasure, thank you.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net