Print Page | Close Window

Muslims Celebrating Christmas?!?

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Culture & Community
Forum Name: Groups : Women (Sisters)
Forum Description: Groups : Women (Sisters)
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7742
Printed Date: 20 April 2024 at 12:02pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Muslims Celebrating Christmas?!?
Posted By: Muslimah07
Subject: Muslims Celebrating Christmas?!?
Date Posted: 03 December 2006 at 9:40am

Salaam,

I was born & raised Muslim in America. My Mom told me that she knew Muslims who celebrate Christmas, but I never met anyone who did.

Well, I'm a Teacher at a Public Elementary School. There is an Arab/Muslim Women (covered with hijab) who has a son at the school. (She comes to the school often). On Friday, the boy's Teacher told me that the Muslim Sister said she was "going Christmas shopping" for her children. The Teacher then asked if I was going to celebrate Christmas also.  ( I said No, but I didnt say anything negative about the Muslim Sister's choice to celebrate Christmas).

In America, we all understand that Christians celebrate Christmas to celebrate 'The Birth of Jesus Christ, The Birth of Lord & Savior'. Of course, Muslims believe in Jesus, but dont believe he is "the son of God"

DO SOME MUSLIMS CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS?? I am very curious about this.

-------------
Peace

Replies:
Posted By: J.R.
Date Posted: 03 December 2006 at 11:58am
Assalamu Alaikum,

To me Christmas in America is mainly cultural than a true religious
celebration. The gift-giving and family gatherings can appeal to many
people in this country, no matter what faith or no faith at all. Perhaps
this sister wants her children to be included in that gift-giving
atmosphere but not necessarily for the purpose of recognizing Christ's
birth as Christians celebrate.
I was raised Christian and I have nothing but the fondest memories of
Christmas during my childhood. The decorations, happy times, and
moments with my family will always be treasured in my heart. I still like
to buy gifts for my family members out of that respect and positive
memories. But personally I would never buy my husband a Christmas gift
and I don't think I would go Christmas shopping for my kids but maybe
this sister is trying her best to make her kids relate to this culture.
One does need to be careful not to take it too far though.

-------------
Smile

Posted By: Jenni
Date Posted: 03 December 2006 at 12:08pm
I don't clelebrate Christmas in the same way as Americans, however being raised as a christian and loving the festivities we do a few things. We get a very small tree and decorate it and put the gifts from my relatives under the tree. Thats it, we don't exchange gifts or buy anything for each other and give gifts to each other on eid. I do buy christmas presents for my extended family though. Peace

-------------
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.

Posted By: taliyya
Date Posted: 03 December 2006 at 1:28pm

We get a very small tree

Is there supposed to be a difference between getting a small tree and a big tree. If you're going to get a tree go all out up in there.

Posted By: Jenni
Date Posted: 03 December 2006 at 3:56pm
I would love a big tree, but want to keep the emphasis on the holiday small. I just love the tree and decorations, nothing to do with celebrating the religous part. I try to make Eid really fun for the kids and go all out with visiting people, gifts and eating somewhere nice,I guess I could decorate for Eid too.

-------------
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.

Posted By: Hayfa
Date Posted: 04 December 2006 at 10:35am

Well it is something that can be hard for Moslems to relate.. especially devout Moslems. But Christmas is les and less about religion as it is a cultural phenomena of keeping the economy going by enocouraging you to buy a lot of syuff (often junk in my opinion). The spiritual aspect is rather secondary.  Some people focus on good works and such.

A good quote by Dave Barry:

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice.

-------------
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi

Date Posted: 04 December 2006 at 5:08pm

Christmas is the holiday created to Worship Prophet Jesus as God and the only begotten Son of God; and the rituals of buying Trees is based on Pagan beliefs. So, it's just acceptable now for us Muslims to partake in this because its "fun for the kids"?

I am not a strict Muslim, but I thought that the Belief in 1 God was the first Pillar of Islam... and that "shirk" (worshipping other gods)and Paganism was one of the main reasons why Allah sent Prophet Muhamad.

I mean, I know some Christians who dont even celebrate Christmas because they think the holiday is of falsehood.

I'm surprised that people some Muslims seem to have a somewhat relaxed attitude about this..Please dont think I'm being "judgemental", I'm just expressing my opinion..

(It also amazes me that it seems that many Muslim sisters who wear hijab wont even speak to a Muslim woman who doesnt cover her hair, or even respond to her greeting because she's not "Islamic" enough--but these same hijabed women will go home and put up a Christmas Tree or buy Christmas presents?? I dont get it)

-------------
Peace

Posted By: hakeema
Date Posted: 04 December 2006 at 6:03pm

As-Salaam Alaikum sister Muslimah07,

I don't celebrate Christmas anymore.  I used to go spend time with my family on Christmas day, and I thought that was ok.  But soon I became too uncomfortable participating in it.  Plus, I talk to my mother and my family all the time.  My mother and I are very close.  Everytime I saw that tree, and Satan Claus and knowing what it represents I become TOO uncomfortable.  I began to think about what Prophet Jesus(may peace and blessing of Allah upon him) would think if he saw me in a way participating in this holiday when it has pagan roots to it.  How would he feel about me celebrating his so-called birthday, but at the same honoring another false god and saying that he is responsible for getting me something.  When in reality it is Allah who provides me not NO FAT MAN IN A RED SUIT.  HOW WOULD JESUS FEEL?  So I stopped.  Christmas does have pagan roots to it.  I knew people who practice actually practice pagan religions, and they have told me themselves that is holiday historically is not about Jesus.  Also, they told me the history behind it.  Sister Muslimah07 I can send you some information if you like. 

Sister Hakeema

Posted By: Angel
Date Posted: 04 December 2006 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by taliyya taliyya wrote:

We get a very small tree

Is there supposed to be a difference between getting a small tree and a big tree. If you're going to get a tree go all out up in there.

yes there is a difference - the cost  and that's just the decoratons

-------------
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~

Posted By: usama
Date Posted: 04 December 2006 at 7:05pm
Question:
What is the ruling on eating food prepared for a Christian festival? What is the ruling on accepting their invitation to their celebrations of the birth of the Messiah (peace be upon him) [i.e., Christmas celebrations]?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

It is not permissible to celebrate innovated festivals such as the Christmas of the Christians, or Nowrooz (Persian New Year) or Mahrajaan (Persian festival), or festivals that have been innovated by Muslims such as the Prophet�s birthday in Rabee� al-Awwal or the Israa� in Rajab and so on. It is not permissible to eat from that food which the Christians or Mushrikeen prepare on the occasion of their festivals. It is also not permissible to accept their invitations to join them in their celebrations of those festivals, because this encourages them and is tantamount to approving of their bid�ah, which gives the wrong idea to ignorant people and makes them think that there is nothing wrong with that. And Allaah knows best.

From Al-Lu�lu� al-Makeen min Fataawaa Ibn Jibreen, p. 27.

It is inconsistent with the obligation of the Muslim Ummah to carry the message (da`wah) of Islam to the world when we celebrate the holidays which nonMuslims themselves have made for various reasons out of ignorance.   There is more to the responsibilities that Muslims have to nonMuslims than just joining them in whichever holiday they produce out of their imagination.  To most, they have no clear idea about Allah (SWT) and their relationship with Him (SWT).  I know I didn't before I accepted Islam. 

Brothers and Sisters, please heed the above fatwa on this matter. There is a great deal of evidence behind this legal position. I will attempt to present if one requires. And Allah knows best.

-------------
Let there arise from amongst you a group inviting to all that is good, enjoining what is right, forbidding what is wrong, and they are the successful ones. Al Imran:104

Posted By: J.R.
Date Posted: 05 December 2006 at 3:33am
I haven't been home in over a year and a half and I plan on attending my
family Christmas party not because I'm supporting their beliefs or
partaking in a pagan ritual but because I want to show my family that I
can be firm in my fiath and respect their beliefs at the same time. Eating
the food my mother will make is not un-Islamic and I think this idea is
ridiculous. What about us reverts who come from Christian families?
We're already under such fire from them that Islam is not tolerant and i
that I think they'll go to hell. I will be there and a be a loving family
member and show my tolerance by sharing this food with them out of
love and respect. Givve me a break!

-------------
Smile

Date Posted: 05 December 2006 at 5:34am

JR Wrote:What about us reverts who come from Christian families?

Salaam J.R,

It's funny you say that..Both my parents are American-Muslims who converted in the 70's, but everyone in my parents families are Christian (my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc). When I was growing up, my father was very adamant that I was not to partake in any Christmas celebrations whatsoever. Every year my grandparents & aunts always tried to give me presents, and every year my father wouldn't accept them...So, because  I raised to believe that Christmas is a big "no-no",  I do not feel comfortable at all with accpeting an invitaion to anyone's house on Christmas Day now that I'm an adult... Even though I'm an adult now, my Christian family STILL inviltes me over to their house on December 25th, they're like "Come over! You dont have to celebrate, just be with us!!"..I know they mean no harm at all and they love me ,but I politely stay home--because it just doesnt feel right to me.

However, I have noticed that Muslims who converted from Christianity--they seem to not be able to completely let Christmas go, and I guess that situation is understandable. I guess if you grew up celebrating it--then  I guess you would feel weird not going to your family's house that day..

I do know that during the Prophet's time, Allah did allow Muslims to gradually come into Islam. I've read that for example, many Muslims used to drink alcohol and ven come to their prayers drunk; but the Prophet didn't instruct them to give up alcohol until years later. Allah does say he teaches man "through stages", and Allah is The Most Wise...I guess this pertains to Christain converts as they are coming to Islam as well.

Let me tell you my first 'Christmas experience'. When I was 5 years old, I belived in Santa Claus.  (Like I said, my family is Christian, and my little cousins convinced me it was true)..As Christmas approached, all of my little cousins were sooo excited about Christmas Day. They all told me that Santa was coming, and I was sooo excited. I imagined him flying thriough the sky, coming through our window, leaving presents.... On December 25th I got up at about 6am, and ran to the living room at full speed. When I entered my parents living room, I was shocked. There was no tree, no presents, no nothing. I knew how to use the phone, so I picked up the living room phone, and called my Aunts house (who was Christian).  I said "Santa didn't come here!". There was this silence on the phone, and we hung up.....Even though I was 5, at that moment I completely understood that I was Muslim, and that meant my life was going to be different. I never looked for Christmas agian.

Good Luck. And I dont think you'll be punished for eating your Mom's food :)

Salaam

-------------
Peace

Date Posted: 05 December 2006 at 5:45am

[QUOTE=hakeema]

Everytime I saw that tree, and Satan Claus and knowing what it represents I become TOO uncomfortable.  I began to think about what Prophet Jesus(may peace and blessing of Allah upon him) would think if he saw me in a way participating in this holiday when it has pagan roots to it. 

...saying that he is responsible for getting me something.  When in reality it is Allah who provides me not NO FAT MAN IN A RED SUIT.  HOW WOULD JESUS FEEL?  like. 

Salaam Hakeema,

Thats funny

And yes I would like to see the information about Christmas. Thank You!

Salaam

-------------
Peace

Posted By: Angel
Date Posted: 05 December 2006 at 6:31am

Santa Claus, is basically based on Saint Nicholas. He gave gifts to people at night secretly.

The Real Face Of Santa
8:30pm Monday, December 19, 2005

Santa Claus is the world's most famous character, yet little is known about the real man behind the legend. This film reveals to the world the real face of St Nicholas, and pieces together the mysterious story of his life. As the film progresses we peel back the layers of history to tell the controversial story behind the man who inspired Santa.

This Christmas Special applies cutting edge forensics to the bones of this 3rd century saint that lie in his shrine in Bari, Italy to reconstruct his face from his skull. For the first time since his death in 340 AD, the world will see the true face of Father Christmas.

Led by FBI-trained Italian pathologist, Franco Introna who divides his time between investigating Mafia killings and examining saints and their relics for the Vatican, our investigation into the real Santa takes us from the third century Roman Empire via Turkey and Italy up to present- day Manchester where a crack forensic team painstakingly reconstructs the great man's face. Along the way we discover an international jigsaw puzzle of missing bones, fake relics, an audacious seaborne raid to steal Santa's body and the modern day scandal of how the business of miracles is threatening the very survival of St Nicholas's mortal remains.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/netw/200512/programs/ZY7889A001D19122005T203000.htm - http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/netw/200512/programs/ZY7889A0 01D19122005T203000.htm

above is for a documentary that was on tv, it is very good.

more on the man:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=23 - http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=23

-------------
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~

Posted By: niqab_ummi
Date Posted: 08 December 2006 at 6:09pm

Assalamu'Alaikum,

Wow lot of opinions on this subject....MASH'ALLAH!

Well, I'm a revert and have been a muslimah for 18 years and married for 17 years with 4 boys......

My non-muslim family members...grandparents, aunties, etc do celebrate the holiday...

we do not....

But what we do is exchange gifts with them on Eid and just write a little note in the card to please open it whenever they feel comfortable doing so

....LOL....

It works out great.....

Now they watch the news reports on the local stations to see when Ramadan is starting and when Eid will be...

It's funny because on Eid-Ul-Adha they tease the boys and say "you mean there is 2-Eids are you sure or do you just want more toys"......

Well got to run...

I don't want to push my opinion on right or wrong.

I think that as muslims we all know that we should only celebrate the 2-Eids but when you live in a non-Islamic country and have diverse family dynamics sometimes a little creativty mixed with Dawah goes a long way.....

MasSalaama

-------------
Umm Abdelkhalek

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net