Deuteronomy 18:15 Jesus Prediction???

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Religion - Islam
Forum Name: Prophets - Jesus
Forum Description: Prophets - Jesus
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=507
Printed Date: 25 April 2024 at 7:20am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Deuteronomy 18:15 Jesus Prediction???
Posted By: jalillah
Subject: Deuteronomy 18:15 Jesus Prediction???
Date Posted: 10 April 2005 at 11:44am

The Lord They God....will raise Unto Thee a Prophet (pbuh) from the Midst of Thee, of They Brethren,like Unto me; Unto Him Ye shall Harken...deuteronomy 18:15

========
Admin:
Please read guidelines:
3. Use of upper case and bold (font) is not permissible for the whole of the message body, however it may be used to add emphasis to words or phrases contained within your message.
http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=30 - http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=30

Replies:
Posted By: Beyan44
Date Posted: 14 August 2005 at 7:48am
Deuteronomy 18:15 I would think refers to Mohammed{pbuh}. Jesus was a Jew, so he would not be "brethren" in this sense. "Brethren" here, I am led to understand, would be the relationship between the Jewish and Arabic peoples going back to Ismael and Issaec. If it was Isa, " of thy brethren" would be left off. This is a key phrase.

Posted By: Deus
Date Posted: 14 August 2005 at 11:39am
Besides, Jesus had no father, so no genealogy.

Posted By: Angela
Date Posted: 11 October 2005 at 10:53am

Mary was also decendent of King David...therefore Abraham.  They are dicussing the Levites in that chapter.  The levites are one of the tribes of Israel. 

Posted By: kenski70
Date Posted: 26 November 2005 at 10:43am
brethren means brothers in this case.as in  all the followers of god are brothers.as you Muslims have pointed out.the original script was in Hebrew and the interpretations you make is off the translation.i was taught this passage is gods promise of the Messiah.Jesus Christ

-------------
Sorry about that turn signal,I must have fallen asleep.

Posted By: Katherine
Date Posted: 12 April 2006 at 7:39am
Yes, Deut 18 is referring to the Messiah, eventually.  A Jew would tell you that Deut. 18 speaks of all prophets who came after Moses, and that these prophets were Jewish and they would tell you that it couldn't possibly be Muhammad who was not a Jew.

Brethern could refer to any tribe of Israel.  Ishmael's group were really step-brethern.

"The Levitical priests, that is, all the tribe of Levi, shall have no portion or inheritance with Israel ... they shall have no inheritance among their brethren".  Deuteronomy 18.1-2.

Therefore the only logical interpretation of Deuteronomy 18.18 can be: "I will raise up for them (that is, the tribe of Levi) a prophet like you from among their brethren (that is, one of the other tribes of Israel)". Indeed throughout the Old Testament we often find the expression "their brethren" meaning the remaining tribes of Israel as distinct from the tribe specifically referred to. Look at this verse as an example:

But the children of Benjamin would not listen to the voice of their brethren, the children of Israel.  Judges 20.13

Here "their brethren" is specifically stated to be the other tribes of Israel as distinct from the tribe of Benjamin. In Deuteronomy 18.18, therefore, "their brethren" clearly means the brethren in Israel of the tribe of Levi.  Again in Numbers 8.26 the tribe of Levi is commanded to minister to "their brethren", that is, the remaining tribes of Israel.  In 2 Kings 24.12 the tribe of Judah is distinguished from "their brethren", once again the remaining tribes of Israel. (Further scriptures proving the point are Judges 21.22, 2 Samuel 2.26, 2 Kings 23.9, 1 Chronicles 12.32, 2 Chronicles 28.15, Nehemiah 5.1 and others).

In Deuteronomy 17.15 we read that Moses on one occasion said to the Israelites "One from among your brethren you shall set as king over you; you may not put a foreigner over you, who is not your brother". Only an Israelite could be appointed king of Israel - "one from among your brethren" - no foreigner, be he Ishmaelite, Edomite or whoever he may be, could be made King of Israel because he was not one of "their brethren", that is, a member of one of the tribes of Israel.

Since all of the tribes of Israel are called "brethern" a Muslim would have to come up with a reason why they were excluded, based on facts.

Further than this, the promise came through Isaac and not Ishmael.

In addition the New Testament identifies the prophet like Moses as Jesus Christ.

Posted By: Athanasius
Date Posted: 17 April 2006 at 2:37pm
Katherine is quite right here.  The Messiah was to come from the brethren of Moses, who were the Jews - not Muslims, of course.  This is a reference to the One Who came from the Jews, the Seed of Abraham, the seed mentioned in Genesis 3:15 who tampled on Satan's head: Jesus Christ

-------------
Freedom is a gift from God - to deny men freedom is to worship evil.

Posted By: ak_m_f
Date Posted: 17 April 2006 at 4:24pm
lol.... 3 in a row banned ... what a coincidence

Posted By: Arab
Date Posted: 31 January 2007 at 12:21am
No this is about prohet Mohammed. Arabs are the brethren of Jews. Also the verse later on says "and I shall put my words in his mouth" this is the Quran which was a verbal revelation.

Posted By: minuteman
Date Posted: 04 July 2007 at 5:29am

Katherine has tried to prove thatThe brethren are the Jews. But if we read the complete verse 18:18, we see that Jesus does not match Moses at all. Moses was a commander of his followers. Jesus never commanded any one. Moses had brought a law for the people. Jesus never brought any new law. But his followers rather got rid of the law of Moses, calling it a curse.

This last point is very serious against Jesus, i.e. doing away with the law of Moses. Then how could Jesus be the like of Moses a.s.??? Cannot be.

There are many other flaws. I would like to read (see)  any one verse from the Bible NT, from the four gospels stating that Jesus was the like of Moses. I hope none can be shown. But I can clearly show a verse of the Quran which states that "Allah has sent to you (O people) the prophet exactly as he sent a prophet to Pharoah...".

Then if you take into account the status of Moses a.s. and Jesus a.s. they do not match. Moses was a prophet only. Jesus was not a prophet only. He was a god too. Moses was sinful (as per church theory). Jesus was not sinful. Moses was successful. Jesus was not successful in his native land. Moses overcame his enemies. Jesus did not.

Please just do not go to the words brethren only. See the other things too.  Jesus never said anything in the name of the Lord. But every (except one) chapter of the Quran opens with the words " In the name of Allah, the Beneficient, the Merciful".

Also, please see verses 19 and 20. It says that if any one will not listen and obey THAT PROPHET, then I shall take account of him, meaning I shall require of him. DiD God take any account of the enemies of Jesus??? No. Jesus disappeared suddenly and so did his disciples, some of them hid themselves and suffered for 300 years.

Next is the verse 18:20. It is very clear against Jesus. God says that any prophet who will speak something that God had not commanded it to him then that propht will be killed. Now according to the christian friends Jesus died on the cross. Even though he may have suffered on the cross and died as a result of that only for one day, it means that he was killed on the cross. That is the genearl belief of the christians (Not the Muslims). Therefore he was killed on the cross. So Jesus cannot be that prophet of God as per Deut 18:20. Means that he will be a false prophet.

-------------
If any one is bad some one must suffer

Posted By: buddyman
Date Posted: 15 August 2007 at 3:31pm
[QUOTE=jalillah]

The Lord They God....will raise Unto Thee a Prophet (pbuh) from the Midst of Thee, of They Brethren,like Unto me; Unto Him Ye shall Harken...deuteronomy 18:15

========
Admin:
Please read guidelines:
3. Use of upper case and bold (font) is not permissible for the whole of the message body, however it may be used to add emphasis to words or phrases contained within your message.
http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=30 - http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=30

Deutoronomy 18:15 actually read:

15"(A)The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you, from your countrymen, you shall listen to him.

Now lets see this in context: adding verse 16

15"(B)The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you, from your countrymen, you shall listen to him.

16"This is (C)according to all that you asked of the LORD your God in Horeb on the day of the assembly, saying, 'Let me not hear again the voice of the LORD my God, let me not see this great fire anymore, or I will die.'

This is what I was discussing with Andalus- When Moses gave them the commandments (or as Jews call them statutes) they couldn't bare to hear the voice of God so they asked God to send them a prophet to speak to them instead... 

Posted By: believer
Date Posted: 01 February 2008 at 7:37pm

The commandments can be considered law.  Jesus brought this one:

John 13

34"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

-------------
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Date Posted: 01 February 2008 at 7:42pm

What Jesus said of the law.

Matthew 5

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

-------------
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Posted By: B.H.
Date Posted: 09 March 2008 at 9:50pm

I would not use this verse from Deuteronomy to prove anything---for Muhammed, or Jesus, or any one person.  there are some manuscripts where instead of using the term raise up a prophet" it has raise up prophets" in the plural.

Even if the original was "a prophet"  it does not say just which one.

Date Posted: 11 March 2008 at 3:51pm
Posted: 04 July 2007 at 5:29am | IP Logged Report Post http://www.islamicity.com/forum/edit_post.asp?M=Q&PID=85798&TPN=2">Quote minuteman

minuteman- Jesus rules over the kingdom of GOD.

Jesus fulfilled the law, He did not abolish it.

How do you know the enemies of Jesus are not rotting in hell?

yes the Jews did believe that Jesus was blaspheming against GOD.  That is why the Jews crucified Him.

-------------
John 3

Posted By: honeto
Date Posted: 14 May 2008 at 3:05pm

Hi,

I would like to push this topic further as I see I have a few things to mention here.

Katherine writes:
"Yes, Deut 18 is referring to the Messiah, eventually.  A Jew would tell you that Deut. 18 speaks of all prophets who came after Moses, and that these prophets were Jewish and they would tell you that it couldn't possibly be Muhammad who was not a Jew."
Among those who claim to Worship One God, have these three names:
1- Jew is a term we now use for those who:
a)- rejected Jesus (pbuh), but accept previous prophets.
b) rejected Mohammed (pbuh)

2- Christian is term we use now for those who
a)- accepted Jesus
b)- rejected Mohammed (pbuh) 

3- Muslim is a term we use for those who
a)- accept Jesus (pbuh), and all the previous prophets sent by God.
b)- accepted Mohammed (pbuh)

In essence all three profess believe in the same God, same belief. And thus claim to be 'true believers'. Jew, Christian, and Mulsim are just terms used along above mentioned lines.

Thus all the "Jewish" prophets including Jesus, submitted to the will of God and thus are "Muslims" technically speaking.

The Quran attests to that:
42:13 The same religion has He established for you as that which He enjoined on Noah - the which We have sent by inspiration to thee - and that which We enjoined on Abraham, Moses, and Jesus: Namely, that ye should remain steadfast in religion, and make no divisions therein: to those who worship other things than God, hard is the (way) to which thou callest them.

Another verse:
3:67 Abraham was not a Jew nor yet a Christian; but he was true in Faith, and bowed his will to God (Which is Islam), and he joined not gods with God.
As far as the matter who is meant in Deut 18, " like onto Moses".

Let me ask my Christian friends here this, was Moses God in human flesh as you claim Jesus was? If your asnwer is no, then it cannot be Jesus (they were not alike, one God in flesh, according to your belief, the other just a human) who you say was God in human flesh, while prophet Mohammed was a 100% human like Moses.
In 1 John 4 Jesus is quoted to have said, that if a prophet acknowledges that he (Jesus) is the Christ, is from God.
1 John 4 "....Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God."

And we know that the Quran confirms that Jesus Christ(pbuh) was sent by God and Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) taught that acknowledgement to his followers.
Hasan

-------------
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Posted By: robin
Date Posted: 20 May 2008 at 12:53am

Originally posted by Deus Deus wrote:

See Matthew Ch. 1 and Luke Ch. 3.

Date Posted: 20 May 2008 at 1:10am
Originally posted by jalillah jalillah wrote:

========
Admin:
Please read guidelines:

The above means:-

Alike Early in Their Careers

Both Moses and Jesus escaped the slaughter of very young male children. The infant Moses was concealed among the reeds on the banks of the Nile River and thus escaped the slaughter of Israelite male babies as ordered by Pharaoh of Egypt. As a young child, Jesus also escaped the slaughter of males up to two years old in Bethlehem and its districts. This massacre was ordered by King Herod the Great, who, like Pharaoh, was an enemy of God and His people.�Exodus 1:22�2:10; Matthew 2:13-18.

A mild-tempered, or meek, spirit was displayed by both Moses and Jesus. Though he was reared as a son in the household of a powerful king of Egypt, Moses came to be �by far the meekest of all the men who were upon the surface of the ground.� (Numbers 12:3) Comparably, Jesus had served as the mighty prince Michael in heaven but humbly came to the earth. (Daniel 10:13; Philippians 2:5-8) Moreover, Jesus had compassion for people and could say: �Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am mild-tempered and lowly in heart, and you will find refreshment for your souls.��Matthew 11:29; 14:14.

For the sake of Jehovah�s service, both Moses and Jesus left behind prominent positions and great riches. To serve Jehovah and His people, Moses gave up wealth and a prestigious place in Egypt. (Hebrews 11:24-26) Similarly, Jesus left behind a greatly favored position and riches in heaven so as to serve God and His people on the earth.�2 Corinthians 8:9.

Moses and Jesus both became God�s anointed ones. The prophet Moses served as Jehovah�s anointed one to the nation of Israel. As the apostle Paul said, Moses �esteemed the reproach of [being] the Christ [anointed one] as riches greater than the treasures of Egypt.� (Hebrews 11:26; Exodus 3:1�4:17) When did Jesus become the Christ, or anointed One? This occurred when he was anointed with God�s holy spirit, or active force, upon being baptized. To the Samaritan woman at Jacob�s fountain at Sychar and before Israel�s high priest when on trial, Jesus testified that he was the Messiah, or Christ.�Mark 14:61, 62; John 4:25, 26.

Both Moses and Jesus fasted for 40 days. Early in his career as God�s spokesman, Moses fasted for 40 days while in the mountain of Sinai. (Exodus 34:28) Jesus fasted for 40 days in the wilderness and then resisted satanic temptation early in his career as the promised Messiah.�Matthew 4:1-11.

Both Men Glorified Jehovah

Jehovah used both Moses and Jesus to magnify His holy name. God told Moses to go to the Israelites in the name of �Jehovah the God of their forefathers.� (Exodus 3:13-16) Moses represented God before Pharaoh, who was kept in existence so that Jehovah�s power could be shown and His name declared in all the earth. (Exodus 9:16) Jesus likewise came in Jehovah�s name. For instance, Christ said: �I have come in the name of my Father, but you do not receive me.� (John 5:43) Jesus glorified his Father, made Jehovah�s name manifest to the men God gave him, and made it well-known on the earth.�John 17:4, 6, 26.

By divine power, Moses and Jesus both performed miracles that glorified God. Moses performed miracles to prove that he was commissioned by Jehovah God. (Exodus 4:1-31) Throughout his career, Moses, who was used by God to part the Red Sea, continued to perform miracles that glorified Jehovah. (Exodus 5:1�12:36; 14:21-31; 16:11-18; 17:5-7; Psalm 78:12-54) Similarly, Jesus brought glory to God by performing many miracles. So much was that the case that Jesus could say: �Believe me that I am in union with the Father and the Father is in union with me; otherwise, believe on account of the works themselves.� (John 14:11) Among his miracles was that of causing a violent windstorm to abate, so that the Sea of Galilee became calm.�Mark 4:35-41; Luke 7:18-23.

Other Important Similarities

Moses and Jesus were both associated with a miraculous provision of food. Moses was Jehovah�s prophet when food was miraculously provided for the Israelites. (Exodus 16:11-36) Similarly, on two occasions of Bible record, Jesus miraculously fed multitudes with material food.�Matthew 14:14-21; 15:32-38.

Manna from heaven was linked with the service of both Moses and Jesus. Moses was leading the Israelites when they were provided with manna from heaven, as it were. (Exodus 16:11-27; Numbers 11:4-9; Psalm 78:25) In a comparable but highly important way, Jesus provided his own flesh as manna from heaven for the life of obedient mankind.�John 6:48-51.

Both Moses and Jesus led people out of bondage into freedom. Moses was used by God to lead the Israelites out of bondage to the Egyptians and into freedom as His people. (Exodus 12:37-42) Similarly, Jesus Christ has been leading his followers into freedom. Christ will yet lead obedient mankind into freedom from bondage to the organization of Satan the Devil, as well as from sin and death.�1 Corinthians 15:24-26; Colossians 1:13; 1 John 5:19.

Moses and Jesus both mediated covenants. Moses was the mediator of the Law covenant, between Jehovah God and the Israelites. (Exodus 19:3-9) Jesus is the Mediator of the new covenant, between God and spiritual Israel.�Jeremiah 31:31-34; Luke 22:20; Hebrews 8:6-13.

Judging was committed to both Moses and Jesus Christ. Moses served as judge and lawgiver to fleshly Israel. (Exodus 18:13; Malachi 4:4) Jesus serves as Judge and has given the spiritual �Israel of God� its laws and commandments. (Galatians 6:16; John 15:10) Christ himself said: �The Father judges no one at all, but he has committed all the judging to the Son, in order that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He that does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him.��John 5:22, 23.

Both Moses and Jesus were entrusted with headship over God�s house. Moses was faithful as the head over the house of God in ancient Israel. (Numbers 12:7) Comparably, Jesus was made the Head of Jehovah�s spiritual house of sons and has proved faithful over it. Indeed, Jesus �was faithful to the One that made him such, as Moses was also in all the house of that One. For the latter is counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as he who constructs it has more honor than the house. . . . Moses as an attendant was faithful in all the house of that One as a testimony of the things that were to be spoken afterwards, but Christ was faithful as a Son over the house of that One. We are the house of that One, if we make fast our hold on our freeness of speech and our boasting over the hope firm to the end.��Hebrews 3:2-6.

Even as to death, Moses and Jesus were alike. How so? Well, Jehovah removed Moses� body, thus preventing men from either profaning it or idolizing it. (Deuteronomy 34:5, 6; Jude 9) Similarly, God disposed of Jesus� body, not allowing it to see corruption and thus preventing its becoming a stumbling block to faith.�Psalm 16:10; Acts 2:29-31; 1 Corinthians 15:50.

Jesus�A Prophet Like Moses

Here are some of the ways in which Jesus proved to be like Moses:

▲ Moses and Jesus both escaped the wholesale slaughter of male infants as ordered by the ruler of their time.�Exodus 1:22; 2:1-10; Matthew 2:13-18.

▲ Moses was called out of Egypt with Jehovah�s �firstborn,� the nation of Israel. Jesus was called out of Egypt as God�s firstborn Son.�Exodus 4:22, 23; Hosea 11:1; Matthew 2:15, 19-21.

▲ Moses and Jesus both fasted for 40 days in wilderness locations.�Exodus 34:28; Matthew 4:1, 2.

▲ Moses and Jesus were exceptionally meek and humble.�Numbers 12:3; Matthew 11:28-30.

▲ Moses and Jesus both performed miracles.�Exodus 14:21-31; Psalm 78:12-54; Matthew 11:5; Mark 5:38-43; Luke 7:11-15, 18-23.

▲ Moses and Jesus both served as mediators of covenants between God and His people.�Exodus 24:3-8; 1 Timothy 2:5, 6; Hebrews 8:10-13; 12:24.

Date Posted: 06 July 2008 at 2:19am
Originally posted by believer believer wrote:

Posted: 04 July 2007 at 5:29am | IP Logged http://www.islamicity.com/forum/report_post.asp?PID=85798&FID=39&TID=507&TPN=1">Report%20Post http://www.islamicity.com/forum/edit_post.asp?M=Q&PID=85798&TPN=2">Quote minuteman

minuteman- Jesus rules over the kingdom of GOD.

Jesus fulfilled the law, He did not abolish it.

How do you know the enemies of Jesus are not rotting in hell?

yes the Jews did believe that Jesus was blaspheming against GOD.  That is why the Jews crucified Him.

Believer, our posts have completed about one year on the net. So celebrate. Can you please tell me what is the punishment for Blasphemy in the Jewish religion. Please be strict and give a correct plain answer again. Thanks.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 July 2008 at 2:29am
Originally posted by robin robin wrote:

Originally posted by Deus Deus wrote:

See Matthew Ch. 1 and Luke Ch. 3.

Good point robin. You have reminded that geneology of Jesus is there in the bible NT. Very good. What is the use of that geneology please? Who we would say was the father of Jesus? He called himself son of man, son of man every time. So he was the son of a man. But I want to know who was that man? Please tell.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 July 2008 at 7:07am
Really- ONE YEAR Thumbs%20Up

Thank you for the catch -it should read wanted Jesus crucified and Barabbas freed.

Romans punishment for a sedition/crime-curcifixion
Jews punishment for blasphemy -stoning

-------------
John 3

Date Posted: 07 July 2008 at 9:19pm

Really- ONE YEAR Thumbs%20Up

Thank you for the catch -it should read wanted Jesus crucified and Barabbas freed.

Romans punishment for a sedition/crime-curcifixion
Jews punishment for blasphemy -stoning

Thanks for the reply. The charge against Jesus was sedition or blasphemy? I hope it was blasphemy. That is clear because Jews had charged him. They could have nothing to do with any sedition. What do you say please?

-------------

Date Posted: 07 July 2008 at 9:22pm

robin has not replied about the son of man. Jesus was son of man. I wanted to know who  was that man please?

-------------

Posted By: Ron Webb
Date Posted: 08 July 2008 at 4:39pm

Originally posted by minuteman minuteman wrote:

robin has not replied about the son of man. Jesus was son of man. I wanted to know who  was that man please?

I used to find that confusing too.  "Son of man" means "son of mankind", i.e. a man.  It's just a way of emphasizing that He was human like us.

I think it was also a kind of code phrase.  The Zealots would recognize the phrase "son of man" as referring to the prophecy of the Messiah, while the Romans would not.  To openly declare Jesus as the Messiah, i.e. the rightful King of the Jews, would have been seditious.  And yes, I think He was ultimately crucified for sedition.

-------------
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.

Date Posted: 09 July 2008 at 12:55am

robin has not replied about the son of man. Jesus was son of man. I wanted to know who  was that man please?

In Hebrew this is mainly a translation of the expression ben-�a�dham�. Instead of referring to the person, Adam, �a�dham� is here used generically for "mankind" so that the expression ben-�a�dham� means, in essence, "a son of mankind, a human, an earthling son." (Ps 80:17; 146:3; Jer 49:18, 33) The phrase is often employed in parallel with other Hebrew terms for "man," namely, �ish, meaning "a male person" (compare Num 23:19; Job 35:8; Jer 50:40) and �enohsh�, "a mortal man." (Compare Ps 8:4; Isa 51:12; 56:2.) At Psalm 144:3 the "son of mortal man" is ben-�enohsh�, while the Aramaic equivalent (bar �enash�) appears at Daniel 7:13.

In Greek the expression is hui�os� tou an�thro�pou, the latter part of the phrase representing the Greek generic word for "man" (an�thro�pos).�Mt 16:27.

Posted By: mariyah
Date Posted: 09 July 2008 at 10:53am
Quote [QUOTE=Katherine] Yes, Deut 18 is referring to the Messiah, eventually.  A Jew would tell you that Deut. 18 speaks of all prophets who came after Moses, and that these prophets were Jewish and they would tell you that it couldn't possibly be Muhammad who was not a Jew.

Brethern could refer to any tribe of Israel.  Ishmael's group were really step-brethern.

"The Levitical priests, that is, all the tribe of Levi, shall have no portion or inheritance with Israel ... they shall have no inheritance among their brethren".  Deuteronomy 18.1-2.

Therefore the only logical interpretation of Deuteronomy 18.18 can be: "I will raise up for them (that is, the tribe of Levi) a prophet like you from among their brethren (that is, one of the other tribes of Israel)". Indeed throughout the Old Testament we often find the expression "their brethren" meaning the remaining tribes of Israel as distinct from the tribe specifically referred to. Look at this verse as an example:

But the children of Benjamin would not listen to the voice of their brethren, the children of Israel.  Judges 20.13

Here "their brethren" is specifically stated to be the other tribes of Israel as distinct from the tribe of Benjamin. In Deuteronomy 18.18, therefore, "their brethren" clearly means the brethren in Israel of the tribe of Levi.  Again in Numbers 8.26 the tribe of Levi is commanded to minister to "their brethren", that is, the remaining tribes of Israel.  In 2 Kings 24.12 the tribe of Judah is distinguished from "their brethren", once again the remaining tribes of Israel. (Further scriptures proving the point are Judges 21.22, 2 Samuel 2.26, 2 Kings 23.9, 1 Chronicles 12.32, 2 Chronicles 28.15, Nehemiah 5.1 and others).

In Deuteronomy 17.15 we read that Moses on one occasion said to the Israelites "One from among your brethren you shall set as king over you; you may not put a foreigner over you, who is not your brother". Only an Israelite could be appointed king of Israel - "one from among your brethren" - no foreigner, be he Ishmaelite, Edomite or whoever he may be, could be made King of Israel because he was not one of "their brethren", that is, a member of one of the tribes of Israel.

Since all of the tribes of Israel are called "brethern" a Muslim would have to come up with a reason why they were excluded, based on facts.

In addition the New Testament identifies the prophet like Moses as Jesus Christ.

this is what the Torah really says:

Devarim - Deuteronomy

Chapter 18

1 The priests the Levites, even all the tribe of Levi, shall have no portion nor inheritance with Israel; they shall eat the offerings of HaShem made by fire, and His inheritance.

2 And they shall have no inheritance among their brethren; HaShem is their inheritance, as He hath spoken unto them.

3 And this shall be the priests' due from the people, from them that offer a sacrifice, whether it be ox or sheep, that they shall give unto the priest the shoulder, and the two cheeks, and the maw.

4 The first-fruits of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the first of the fleece of thy sheep, shalt thou give him.

5 For HaShem thy G-d hath chosen him out of all thy tribes, to stand to minister in the name of HaShem, him and his sons for ever.

6 And if a Levite come from any of thy gates out of all Israel, where he sojourneth, and come with all the desire of his soul unto the place which HaShem shall choose;

7 then he shall minister in the name of HaShem his G-d, as all his brethren the Levites do, who stand there before HaShem.

8 They shall have like portions to eat, beside that which is his due according to the fathers' houses.

9 When thou art come into the land which HaShem thy G-d giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations.

10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, one that useth divination, a soothsayer, or an enchanter, or a sorcerer,

11 or a charmer, or one that consulteth a ghost or a familiar spirit, or a necromancer.

12 For whosoever doeth these things is an abomination unto HaShem; and because of these abominations HaShem thy G-d is driving them out from before thee.

13 Thou shalt be whole-hearted with HaShem thy G-d.

14 For these nations, that thou art to dispossess, hearken unto soothsayers, and unto diviners; but as for thee, HaShem thy G-d hath not suffered thee so to do.

15 A prophet will HaShem thy G-d raise up unto thee, from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;

16 according to all that thou didst desire of HaShem thy G-d in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying: 'Let me not hear again the voice of HaShem my G-d, neither let me see this great fire any more, that I die not.'

17 And HaShem said unto me: 'They have well said that which they have spoken.

18 I will raise them up a prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee; and I will put My words in his mouth, and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.

19 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto My words which he shall speak in My name, I will require it of him.

20 But the prophet, that shall speak a word presumptuously in My name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, that same prophet shall die.'

21 And if thou say in thy heart: 'How shall we know the word which HaShem hath not spoken?'

22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of HaShem, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which HaShem hath not spoken; the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously, thou shalt not be afraid of him

-------------
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.

Posted By: mariyah
Date Posted: 09 July 2008 at 11:04am
Information on the book  Deuteronomy:

Literary History

Traditionally, the entire book of Deuteronomy has been attributed to Moses. However, some features, including the account of Moses' death, have led scholars to conclude that parts of it come from a later time. While there is little consensus as to its precise history, there is general agreement that the book reflects a long process of compilation as the community reapplied the Mosaic traditions in later situations, as indeed the book itself suggests (e.g., 30:1-5, cf. 6:20-25).

However, this does not preclude the possibility that some core of the book, perhaps large portions of it, does come from Moses. It is generally believed that Josiah used an early form of the book of Deuteronomy to guide his sweeping reforms (ca. 621 BC; 2 Kings 22:1-7; 2 Chron. 34:1-7; see http://www.cresourcei.org/othbabylon.html#Josiah - Josiah and Religious Reforms ). There is also some evidence that portions of the book reflect the crisis of Babylonian exile (587-539 BC, e.g., 29:28; cf. 29:29-30:5, 28:49-57, 64-68). The present form of the book reflects the application, reuse, and reinterpretation of the older Mosaic instructions in new and changing historical circumstances.

Features and Theology

Deuteronomy is not a book of laws; it is a book of the heart, instruction (Heb:  torah) in how to live intentionally as God's people in response to His love and mercy (e.g., 4:29, 6:4, 32-40, 11:1). One of the most important features of the book is its homiletical style. The commandments are not presented in legal format, but are cast in the style of a sermon, interwoven with pleas and exhortations to obedience, all grounded in the prevenient (initiating) grace of God.

Also, the concept of covenant around which the book revolves is not primarily a legal concept, but a cultural way of expressing relationship between Yahweh and His people. The call to obedience throughout the book is an appeal to order all of life in relation to the One who had revealed Himself in their history as the true and living God. It is not just the imposition of law; it is a call to choose God (30:15-20, cf. Josh 24:14-15), which worked out in practical instructions.

Read the rest at
http://www.cresourcei.org/deuteronomy.html - http://www.cresourcei.org/deuteronomy.html

-------------
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.

Date Posted: 09 July 2008 at 11:30am

From the above post:
8 I will raise them up a prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee; and I will put My words in his mouth, and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.

19 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto My words which he shall speak in My name, I will require it of him.

20 But the prophet, that shall speak a word presumptuously in My name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, that same prophet shall die.'

21 And if thou say in thy heart: 'How shall we know the word which HaShem hath not spoken?'

22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of HaShem, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which HaShem hath not spoken; the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously, thou shalt not be afraid of him.

It is quite clear that the promised prophet is only one and not the many prophets of the Israelis. That prophet will be the like of Moses a.s. He will be raised up from the brethren of Israelis. God will put His words in the mouth of the prophet. The prophet will then speak onto the people.

If any one will not listen to that prophet, God will take an account of him. The prophet will speak in the name of God. It is very cleat that prophet Muhammad told everything in the name of Allah. The same is written on the head of every chapter of the Quran that it is coming from Allah, the Beneficient, the Merciful.

After Moses, no prophet had come who was the like of Moses a.s. Moses a.s. was prophet who brought a law for the people. So did Muhammad. Both are law bearing prophets. Whatever Muhammad said was fulfilled. That is another proof that he was the true prophet of God. Muhammad was not a god, a semi god or demi god. He was completely a man, like Moses a.s.

Why would Moses a.s. say the word Brethren without further explanation.  Every where else when word brethren is spoken then the other verses expalin that Israelis are meant. But in verse 18:18 it is not done.

There is enough report that after the Jews rejected Jesus, the blessing was taken away from the house of Jacob. Jesus also said at a time "Your house is being left desolate... The kingdom will be given to other people...

-------------

Date Posted: 10 July 2008 at 10:43am
Jesus was the Word of GOD!!  GOD's Word did come from Jesus' mouth.  Jesus did speak under the authority of GOD.

YUSUFALI: O People of the Book! Commit no excesses in your religion: Nor say of Allah aught but the truth. Christ Jesus the son of Mary was a messenger of Allah, and His Word, which He bestowed on Mary, and a spirit proceeding from Him: so believe in Allah and His messengers. Say not "Trinity" : desist: it will be better for you: for Allah is one Allah: Glory be to Him: above having a son. To Him belong all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough is Allah as a Disposer of affairs.
PICKTHAL: O People of the Scripture! Do not exaggerate in your religion nor utter aught concerning Allah save the truth. The Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, was only a messenger of Allah, and His word which He conveyed unto Mary, and a spirit from Him. So believe in Allah and His messengers, and say not "Three" - Cease! better for you! - Allah is only One Allah. Far is it removed from His Transcendent Majesty that He should have a son. His is all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth. And Allah is sufficient as Defender.
SHAKIR: O followers of the Book! do not exceed the limits in your religion, and do not speak against Allah, but the truth; the Messiah, Isa son of Marium is only a messenger of Allah and His Word which He communicated to Marium and a spirit from Him; believe therefore in Allah and His messengers, and say not, Three. Desist, it is better for you; Allah is only one Allah; far be It from His glory that He should have a son, whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth is His, and Allah is sufficient for a Protector.

-------------
John 3

Date Posted: 11 July 2008 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

robin has not replied about the son of man. Jesus was son of man. I wanted to know who  was that man please?

I used to find that confusing too.  "Son of man" means "son of mankind", i.e. a man.  It's just a way of emphasizing that He was human like us.

I think it was also a kind of code phrase.  The Zealots would recognize the phrase "son of man" as referring to the prophecy of the Messiah, while the Romans would not.  To openly declare Jesus as the Messiah, i.e. the rightful King of the Jews, would have been seditious.  And yes, I think He was ultimately crucified for sedition.

The term son of man was son of mankind. Then son of God could be son of godkind. Could it be so? You have tried to take the matter towards sedition. But it does not prove. Because he was arrested on the charges by the Jews, not Romans. They tried to get another charge on Jesus of being the king of Jews.

That is like in some Urdu saying, they say "Marray ko maaray Shahmadaar", that means, a man is caught and already in trouble and you pile up more trouble (charges) on him as much as you like. He cannot do anything about it.

The problem is that Jews were crying hoarse that jesus should be Crucified. Why? It can only mean that there was no charge of blasphemy. The actual charge was (as described in the Quran) that Jewish high priests were exposed as criminals by Jesus. They were exposed as irreligious people. They could not get rid of him in any way. So they supported the idea of him being a prince or from the line of David, calling himself as the king of the Jews, the rightful heir to the throne of David.

It was the Jews who tried to involve Jesus in the charge of sedition. Your posts help even though I do not understand the full implications of your post. My English is not so good.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 July 2008 at 5:56pm
The verse 18:8, 
8 I will raise them up a prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee; and I will put My words in his mouth, and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.

minuteman- you are reading more into the verse then what is there.  All this verse is saying is that the words the prophet speaks will be GOD's words.

John 19
12From then on, Pilate tried to set Jesus free, but the Jews kept shouting, "If you let this man go, you are no friend of Caesar. Anyone who claims to be a king opposes Caesar."

-------------
John 3

Date Posted: 08 August 2008 at 4:25am

The verse 18:8, 

minuteman- you are reading more into the verse then what is there.  All this verse is saying is that the words the prophet speaks will be GOD's words.

John 19
12From then on, Pilate tried to set Jesus free, but the Jews kept shouting, "If you let this man go, you are no friend of Caesar. Anyone who claims to be a king opposes Caesar."

Dear believer, I am reading the right thing. Nothing more nothing less. Please see the words again. I have colored some of them....

The verse  Deut 18:18, 
 I will raise them up a prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee; and I will put My words in his mouth, and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.

"I"  means God or Allah.
  "them" means Israelis. AllIsraelis, not one tribe.
  " a prophet " means a prophet, not a god, or not God and prophet.
  "their brethren" means the brethren of the israelis. Not the bretheren of any one tribe of the Israelis.

"Like unto thee" means that prophet who is promised will be like of Moses. Forget from where he will come. Just concentrate that will be a prophet only and will be the like of Moses a.s. who commanded his people and gave them a law. Who led his people to victory against their adversaries (enemies, the Egyptians).

"My words" means a lot. That prophet will get some words from God. The words will be put in his mouth. He will receive revelation from God.

"he" means that promised person (That prophet).
  " Shall speak unto them" means that prophet will convey the message given to him from God. He will speak unto his people.... Will pass the message onto the people and willtell them that it is from God.

"all that I command him" means that he will tell all that is given to him from God and will not say that he had many things to say..... But he could not do it.... He will tell all also menas that he will be a prophet with a code (Shariah). It is the duty of the law bearing prophet to tell all things to his people. If he is not a law bearing prophet then he may not tell all things to his people because some things may be only for him from God. The one who has to tell all is a law bearing prophet.

Please consider all the points above and make judgement if Jesus could be That prophet. It is sure that "That promised Prophet" had not come till the time of Jesus. And if Jesus was not "That prophet" then no one has come after Jesus except Muhammad. So the point becomes clear that the christians have to admit that the promised prophet is Muhammad only, no one else. There is no use towing the line of the Jews and denying the blessings to Muhammad.

The important point is that Moses a.s. told about some one to come after him. It is no use giving that seat to Jesus. Some one was to come. Jesus also told about some one to come after him. But church has assigned it to a ghost or holy spirit and not a man. Please remember that previously only the men have been coming to guide the men. It is a new theory that church has brought a God (Jesus) on earth and that also to be killed on the cross... What a strange formula !

Then to complicate the matters further, the church has got a ghost to lead the people. That is also a new theory. It is funny that ghost was already leading and guiding Jesus. He needed the ghost too, being a god himself, he needed the ghost. That is strange. But there is something in it. They need the ghost, and the ghost also needs some one too, to whom the ghost will come (land upon).

But that ghost is the holy spirit and that holy spirit primarily lands only and specially on the prophets, not on other men. And it conveys the words of God to that prophet. That is already proved from the bible.

It therefore transpires that there will be a prophet after Jesus who will be visited by the holy spirit.That is excatly what happened in the case of Muhammad. He was visited by the angel Gabriel, who is called the holy spirit in the Quran. That angel had been bringing messages before to other prophets. So there is no complication and we can admit that the prophet to come after Jesus is Muhammad.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 August 2008 at 10:11am

It therefore transpires that there will be a prophet after Jesus who will be visited by the holy spirit.That is excatly what happened in the case of Muhammad. He was visited by the angel Gabriel, who is called the holy spirit in the Quran. That angel had been bringing messages before to other prophets. So there is no complication and we can admit that the prophet to come after Jesus is Muhammad.

Not according to the Prophet Jesus:-

John 14:6
Jesus said to him: "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Thus nothing needs to be added to the Bible as it has all the sayings of God's prophet Jesus!

Jesus did not fix a time factor to the above statement!

Date Posted: 06 September 2008 at 11:30am
Originally posted by mariyah mariyah wrote:

Quote [QUOTE=Katherine] Yes, Deut 18 is referring to the Messiah, eventually.  A Jew would tell you that Deut. 18 speaks of all prophets who came after Moses, and that these prophets were Jewish and they would tell you that it couldn't possibly be Muhammad who was not a Jew.

this is what the Torah really says:

Devarim - Deuteronomy

Chapter 18

1 The priests the Levites, even all the tribe of Levi, shall have no portion nor inheritance with Israel; they shall eat the offerings of HaShem made by fire, and His inheritance.

2 And they shall have no inheritance among their brethren; HaShem is their inheritance, as He hath spoken unto them.

3 And this shall be the priests' due from the people, from them that offer a sacrifice, whether it be ox or sheep, that they shall give unto the priest the shoulder, and the two cheeks, and the maw.

4 The first-fruits of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the first of the fleece of thy sheep, shalt thou give him.

5 For HaShem thy G-d hath chosen him out of all thy tribes, to stand to minister in the name of HaShem, him and his sons for ever.

6 And if a Levite come from any of thy gates out of all Israel, where he sojourneth, and come with all the desire of his soul unto the place which HaShem shall choose;

7 then he shall minister in the name of HaShem his G-d, as all his brethren the Levites do, who stand there before HaShem.

8 They shall have like portions to eat, beside that which is his due according to the fathers' houses.

9 When thou art come into the land which HaShem thy G-d giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations.

10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, one that useth divination, a soothsayer, or an enchanter, or a sorcerer,

11 or a charmer, or one that consulteth a ghost or a familiar spirit, or a necromancer.

12 For whosoever doeth these things is an abomination unto HaShem; and because of these abominations HaShem thy G-d is driving them out from before thee.

13 Thou shalt be whole-hearted with HaShem thy G-d.

14 For these nations, that thou art to dispossess, hearken unto soothsayers, and unto diviners; but as for thee, HaShem thy G-d hath not suffered thee so to do.

15 A prophet will HaShem thy G-d raise up unto thee, from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;

16 according to all that thou didst desire of HaShem thy G-d in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying: 'Let me not hear again the voice of HaShem my G-d, neither let me see this great fire any more, that I die not.'

17 And HaShem said unto me: 'They have well said that which they have spoken.

18 I will raise them up a prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee; and I will put My words in his mouth, and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.

22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of HaShem, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which HaShem hath not spoken; the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously, thou shalt not be afraid of him

Islam teaches that Deuteronomy 18:15 & 18 are talking of the coming of Mohamed.  Will close look show this  to be the case?

DEUTERONOMY CH. 18: 15 & 18,  WITH THE HEBREW WORDS:-

1899 Douay-Reims Bible Deut 18:15

The Lord thy God will raise up to thee a PROPHET of thy nation and of thy brethren* like unto me: him thou shalt hear:

*The 'Tanakh' (Torah) reads "your own people."

Contemporary English Version Deut 18:15

Instead, he will choose one of your own people to be a prophet just like me, and you must do what that prophet says.

K.J.V. Deut 18:15

The LORD3068 thy God430 will raise up6965 unto thee a Prophet5030 from the midst4480, 7130 of thee, of thy brethren,4480, 251 like unto me;3644 unto413 him ye shall hearken;8085

Hebrew Words underlined:-

J. Strong�s Heb. #4480  נּי    מנּי    מן  min  minnîy  minnêy  min, min-nee', min-nay'

For H4482; properly a part of; hence (prepositionally), from or out of in many senses: - above, after, among, at, because of, by (reason of), from (among), in, X neither, X nor, (out) of, over, since, X then, through, X whether, with.

J. Strong�s Heb. #251  אח  'âch  awkh

A primitive word; a brother (used in the widest sense of literal relationship and metaphorical affinity or resemblance (like H1)): - another, brother (-ly), kindred, like, other. Compare also the proper names beginning with �Ah-� or �Ahi-�.

1899 Douay-Reims Bible Deut 18:18

I will raise them up a prophet out of the midst of their brethren* like to thee: and I will put my words in his mouth, and he shall speak to them all that I shall command him.

*The 'Tanakh' (Torah) reads "thier own people."  

Contemporary English Version  Deut 18:18

So when I want to speak to them, I will choose one of them to be a prophet like you. I will give my message to that prophet, who will tell the people exactly what I have said.

K.J.V. Deut 18:18

I will raise them up6965 a Prophet5030 from among4480, 7130 their brethren,251 like unto thee,3644 and will put5414 my words1697 in his mouth;6310 and he shall speak1696 unto413 them (853) all3605 that834 I shall command6680 him.

�The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible� - The oldest know Bible translated for the first time into English. Translated and with commentary by Martin Abegg Jr., Peter Flint & Eugene Ulrich page 172; Deuteronomy 18:18
�I will raise for them a prophet like you from among their COUNTRYMEN; I will put my words* in his mouth, and he will speak to them all that I command him.�
*Thus Jesus is called �The Word� in John 1:1-2.

Hebrew Word underlined:-

J. Strong�s Heb. #251  אח 'ach  awkh

A primitive word; a brother (used in the widest sense of literal relationship and metaphorical affinity or resemblance (like H1)): - another, brother (-ly), kindred, like, other. Compare also the proper names beginning with �Ah-� or �Ahi-�.

Thus showing that God's prophet like Moses was an Israelite!

K.J.V. Deuteronomy 18:14-18

Setting and Context.

Vs. 14  For these nations, which thou shalt possess, hearkened unto observers of times, and unto diviners: but as for thee, the LORD thy God hath not suffered thee so to do.

In verse 14 God is talking about the �nations,� those who are non Israelites (Gentiles), then turn his attention back to the Israelites when he says �which thou ...� and �for thee ...� as he is talking about giving his people the �promised land� etc. and they should not copy the ways of the people that live there!

Vs. 15  The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;

Here in verse 15 with his, that is God�s attention, on the Israelites or Moses people, called �thy brethren� or �your brothers� who he, Moses, is in the �midst of� or �among.�   God here is speaking in the 2nd person about the people of Moses, not others or �these nations� of verse 14.  So the subject of the verse is �a prophet� that God will �raise up� from the nation that Moses belongs to, the Israelites.

Vs. 16  According to all that thou desiredst of the LORD thy God in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying, Let me not hear again the voice of the LORD my God, neither let me see this great fire any more, that I die not.  See Exodus 20:18 below.

In verse 16 where is �Horeb� and who is assembled there?   Verse 16 shows that God continues talking of the Israelite nation as he speaks to, via Moses, in �Horeb in the day of the assembly saying ... .�   This is the nation of Israel at Mt Sinai in the district of Horeb:-

�Horeb�  - �The mountain of the true God,� apparently the same as Mount Sinai.   See 1 Kings 19:8; and Exodus 33:6.   Generally, though, Horeb seems to designate the mountainous region around Mount Sinai, otherwise called the Wilderness of Sinai.�Deut. 1:6, 19; 4:10, 15; 5:2; 9:8; 18:16; 29:1; 1 Kings 8:9; 2 Chron. 5:10; Ps 106:19; Malachi 4:4; compare Exodus 3:1, 2; Acts 7:30. 

Cross reference to show what Deut. 18:16 is referring to with Exodus 19:18, 20, 25; 20:18:-

18 And mount Sinai was altogether on a smoke, because the LORD descended upon it in fire: and the smoke thereof ascended as the smoke of a furnace, and the whole mount quaked greatly. ... 20  And the LORD came down upon mount Sinai, on the top of the mount: and the LORD called Moses up to the top of the mount; and Moses went up. ...

Exodus 19:25  So Moses went down unto the people, and spake unto them. ....  [Then the 10 Commandments where given] to ...

Exodus 20:18  And all the people saw the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the noise of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking: and when the people saw it, they removed, and stood afar off.   19  And they said unto Moses, Speak thou with us, and we will hear: but let not God speak with us, lest we die.

Vs. 17  And the LORD said unto me, They have well spoken that which they have spoken.

�They have spoken well� is said of the Israelites� in Horeb or Sinai cross reference to:-

Deut. 5:28  And the LORD heard the voice of your words, when ye spake unto me; and the LORD said unto me, I have heard the voice of the words of this people, which they have spoken unto thee: they have well said all that they have spoken.

Said at the time of:-

Deut. 5:1  And Moses called all Israel, and said unto them, Hear, O Israel, the statutes and judgments which I speak in your ears this day, that ye may learn them, and keep, and do them. ...

2  The LORD our God made a covenant with us in Horeb. ...

22  These words the LORD spake unto all your assembly in the mount out of the midst of the fire, of the cloud, and of the thick darkness, with a great voice: and he added no more. And he wrote them in two tables of stone, and delivered them unto me.

Vs. 18  I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.

The prophet to be raised up for �them� is speaking of the people mentioned is verse 17 which we have seen was the Israelites at Mt. Sinai in the district of Horeb.   Where God says �Their brethren,� here God speaking in the 3rd person, so in verse 18 he is therefore talking of the nation of Israel as this has been the objective of the discourse to explain the �Prophet� that God will �raise� from their �midst� that is from the Israelites is to be The promised One.  �Like unto thee� means that first this prophet is to come from the Israelite nation, thus one of his, Moses, �brethren� or �brothers.

As special "one" is spoken of in vs. 19 says Note grammar in brackets:-

Deuteronomy 18:19
�And it must occur that the man who will not listen to my words that he* (pronoun; singular; of one person) will speak in my name, I shall myself require an account from him.�

*�He� is of the �prophet,� also in the singular, mentioned in vs. 17.

Here is what the Gospel says to show that they support the above:-

Luke 7:16

"Now fear seized them all, and they began to glorify God, saying: �A great prophet"

Luke 24:19

"And he said to them: �What things?� They said to him: �The things concerning Jesus the Nazarene, who became a prophet powerful in work and word before God and all the people;"

John 1:45

"Philip found Nathanael and said to him: �We have found the one of whom Moses, in the Law, and the Prophets wrote, Jesus, the son of Joseph, from Nazareth.�"

John 6:14

"Hence when the men saw the signs he performed, they began to say: �This is for a certainty the prophet that was to come into the world.�"

Posted By: honeto
Date Posted: 26 November 2008 at 6:54pm

Robin,
I don't think John 14:6 say anything a Muslim would have problem with. Because all prophets were the way to God.
Also, as the Bible predicts of a prophet (prophet Mohammed) Jesus is quoted to have said this in
1 John 4:
1Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God.

Hasan

-------------
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Date Posted: 21 January 2009 at 2:18am

Katherine has tried to prove thatThe brethren are the Jews. But if we read the complete verse 18:18, we see that Jesus does not match Moses at all. Moses was a commander of his followers. Jesus never commanded any one.

That is not correct:-

Jesus said:-
Matthew 28:18
And Jesus approached and spoke to them, saying: "All authority has been given me in heaven and on the earth.

Thus Jesus said:-
Matthew 28:19-20
Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded YOU. And, look! I am with YOU all the days until the conclusion of the system of things."

Jesus said
John 15:17-18
"These things I command YOU, that YOU love one another. 18 If the world hates YOU, YOU know that it has hated me before it hated YOU.

Date Posted: 21 January 2009 at 2:25am
Originally posted by honeto honeto wrote:

Robin,
I don't think John 14:6 say anything a Muslim would have problem with. Because all prophets were the way to God.
Also, as the Bible predicts of a prophet (prophet Mohammed) Jesus is quoted to have said this in
1 John 4:
1Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God.

Hasan

YOU SHOULD READ ON to see what is really being said!!:-

1 John 4:15
"Whoever makes the confession that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, God remains in union with such one and he in union with God."

Muslims do not beleive Jesus "is the Son of God" so they are Not in "union" with God and God is Not in "union" with them!!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net