Category: General
Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Description: General Discussion
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5047
Printed Date: 26 April 2024 at 12:02am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Attacked in my sleep- Terrified.
Posted By: 3_sets_of_twins
Subject: Attacked in my sleep- Terrified.
Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 12:28am

Salam alaikom all.

Let me get to the point. I am 27. Ever since I was about 18 I have been having...well, nightmares?

When I sleep...I often wake up to the feeling of someone, or, something, squeezing me. Or, sitting on me, or hugging me real hard? People ask me if I was dreaming, IT IS NOT A DREAM.

It once got to the point where I could not sleep without my husband in fear it would happen. When this does happen, it usually wakes me up and I'm so terrified the only way I can "make it stop" is reciting quran over and over till it eases up and lets go. It wont even let me reach for my husband in attempt to wake him up and help me.

Fellow muslims, Have any of you heard of this, or gone through it?

Why does it only come to me, and not my husband, he's right next to me? (may it never happen to him inshallah)

What is this???? a jinni????? shaitan??? It is not a dream I wake up during it.

I've started reciting quran before going to sleep, and my husband reads quran on me. Hamdulillah I am happy to say it has been quite a while since I last experieced it. All I am seeking ar answers to what this thing is? I hate it. I wish it would leave me alone forever inshallah.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and Allah bless you all Inshallah.

Replies:
Posted By: Abeer23
Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 1:04am

Wa alaikum as salam,

From your description sister I would say it's probably a jinn.  You've done the right thing.  Keep reading and having the Quran read for you.  Yahfadhik allah.

Salaam

Posted By: Angel
Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 1:08am
Originally posted by 3_sets_of_twins 3_sets_of_twins wrote:

I'm not muslim, but I know what you speak of, I've had similar or same experience. Until I learnt what is was, it stopped. It is sleep paralyzes

And it doesn't happen to everyone which explains why your husband doesn't go thru it.

I have felt that there is pressure on me and I cannot move except the eyes and the only way for me to get moving is by shaking my head a little and then the rest of the body follows.

It is just that the body is still asleep but the mind is awake

Yes I was afraid somewhat because i didn't know what was happening and it did feel like someone really putting pressure on me as if crushing me. But then I was watching something about sleep and that proped up about sleep paralyzes so I proped up my ears and then it pretty much went away and I haven't had an episode since.

Have a look into sleep paralyzes.

-------------
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~

Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 1:15am

Thank you very much sisters for your appreciated replies. However I dont believe it, in my case anyway to be paralysis, since you stated you can prop your head when it happens, I cant move my body at all when it happens. I cant even call my husbands name. And it is usually accompanied by some jinn oriented nightmare. My husband told me that there is a jinn with a particular name who does this to people as they sleep ( Islamic belief anyway). I only wonder why he chooses some and not others. Alhumdulillah like I said before it has been a while since it has happened.

Any more opinions or suggestions are highly welcome and appriciated! Allah bless us all Inshallah, Salam alikom.

Posted By: BlueSun
Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 1:43am

Salaam Sister,

I experienced the same problem a number of years ago, and used to have similar episodes once every few months until about a year ago. My wife luckily was besides me to help, simply by shaking and calling me seems to wear out the affect of being strangled or weighted down.

I now ensure I read Ayat'ul Kursi (Second Surah x 3 and blow over right and left shoulders and over chest, I also read Surat Naas Chapter 114 Holy Qur'an. Ever since I have started the above, I now have meaningful dreams, the likes of which can be interpreted to mean / convey a message like I used when I was a boy and teens. I must also point out that It has been practicing Islam for over 2 years.

Surat al-Nas

In the name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful.

"Say: I seek refuge with the Lord and Cherisher of Mankind

The King (or Ruler) of Mankind

The god (or judge) of Mankind

From the mischief of the Whisperer (of Evil), who withdraws (after his whisper),

(The same) who whispers into the hearts of Mankind

Among Jinns and among men "

Ayat al-Kursi

In the name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful.

"Allah! There is no god but He - the Living, The Self-subsisting, Eternal. No slumber can seize Him Nor Sleep. His are all things in the Heavens and on the earth. Who is there can intercede in His presence except as he permitteth? He knoweth what (appeareth to His creatures as) before or after or behind them. Nor shall they compass aught of his knowledge except as he willeth. His throne doth extend Over the heavens and on earth, and he feelth no fatigue in guarding and preserving them, for he is the most high. The Supreme (in glory)"

(Surat al-Baqarah 2: 255)

Insha-Allah you will not encounter this problem again

-------------
Khalid ibn Waleed - The Sword of Allah - Greatest General of all time !!!

Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 1:52am

Salaam again !

I would also like to point out the fact that my dreams were usually a frightening nightmare, in which I could see clearly see the evilness.

This is not sleep paralyses !

**Correction � I have been a practicing Muslim for over 2 years now.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 1:52am

Thank you very much sisters for your appreciated replies. However I dont believe it, in my case anyway to be paralysis, since you stated you can prop your head when it happens,

No i didn't say i could prop my head, I could only move my head side to side, and at that very hard to begin with, I too could not at first upon awaking move at all, nor speak It was very hard to move my head at all, But what little I could do afterwards, was enough to gradually get my body awake and then move and be free. 

Not everyone is the same.

What you speak of is the same things of sleep paralysis.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 1:56am
Originally posted by BlueSun BlueSun wrote:

My wife luckily was besides me to help, simply by shaking and calling me seems to wear out the affect of being strangled or weighted down.

That is sleep paralysis.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 2:03am

Here are some information on sleep paralysis. Some of the things here I have experienced and it is the same of those here who are talking about it, without the name.

Dreams & Nightmares: http://www.dreamsnightmares.com/sleepparalysis.html - http://www.dreamsnightmares.com/sleepparalysis.html

quote]Sleep Paralysis

Sleep paralysis is now being studied as an explanation for terrors in the night, which have been experienced by people across all cultures and for thousands of years. If one is looking for a purely physical and scientific explanation for these terrible nightmares, this one works quite well. For some it will offer relief but for others, doubt.

Sleep paralysis is a condition in which someone, most often lying in a supine (face up) position, about to drop off to sleep, or just upon awaking from sleep realizes that s/he is unable to move, or speak, or cry out. This may last a few seconds or several moments, occasionally longer. People frequently report feeling a 'presence' that is often described as malevolent, threatening, or evil. An intense sense of dread and terror is very common. The presence is likely to be vaguely felt or sensed just out of sight but thought to be watching or monitoring, often with intense interest, sometimes standing by, or sitting on the bed. On some occasions, the presence may attack, strangling and exerting crushing pressure on the chest.

There are a number of historical and urban cultural myths, which can be, somewhat, explained by this experience. The Incubus, which appears in ancient literature, is one such example. In the book Incubus by Kiessling, It was described as half man half beast, attacking in the night. The word night "mare" has been derived from the word incubus. In Greek it was ephialtes, in Latin incubus, in German mar/mare, in Old English maire, Old Norse mara, Old Irish mar/mor, and all mean "one who leaps on, oppresses or crushes."

The demon of the night has also been called 'The Old Hag' a description and myth coming out of several cultures. The Old Hag was described in Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.

The Old Hag attack is most closely associated with extreme pressure on the chest while sleeping on your back. People may also feel like they are being choked or even bitten. In his research, Al Cheyne of the University of Waterloo has discovered that between 25 and 30 per cent of the population reports that they have experienced at least a mild form of sleep paralysis at least once. It most often has an adolescent onset but can begin at any age.

Cheyne believes sleep paralysis to be an hallucination created by physical things occurring in the body as a result of a dysfunction or malfunction of the normal R.E.M. state of sleep. This malfunction may be brought on by life stressors or sleep deprivation. Cheyne has also discovered a much higher incidence of sleep paralysis for those who sleep on their back. He has found that changing sleep position can reduce the incidence of these nightmares. He also suggests getting up and physically moving around after having an episode as several can occur in one night.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

http://watarts.uwaterloo.ca/~acheyne/S_P.html - http://watarts.uwaterloo.ca/~acheyne/S_P.html

-------------

Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 2:10am

OK, if you consider this to be sleep paralyses, then so be it.

However, these we believe to be symptoms of some other underlying cause, which you believe as being where the "mind is awake and the body is asleep"

Not only is that impossible, as all possible states of consciousness are controlled by the brain, so if they mind is awake then so is the body. I've had instances where I rolling around, eyes wide open fighting off something, this is not sleep paralyses !

Sleep paralyses is the attempted scientific explanation given to this phenomenon, it lacks in proof and even theory. What you have read is the scientific opinion, and of course religion is not based on science. Science on the other the study to unravel the marvels of gods creation, even then most of what science is purely theoretical. It is not proven to this day whether an Atom exists or not !!  

And Allah knows best !

-------------

Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 2:23am

It amazes me how we are so inclined to believe an article in a journal, yet reject the word of Allah (swt).

I don't see the point you are making, the only thing the above text is doing is examining the symptoms of "Sleep Paralyses". What is the cause, the changes of chemicals in our brain, again this is a symptom and not the cause, the weight on a persons chest or strangling, again a symptom not the cause.

I guess firstly you have to believe in god to have some understanding of Jinn�s or demons. If you believe in scientology then there is no basis of such belief, as it would contradict the foundations on which science is based. (but this is not a discussion on the existence of god, so we will not tread this path)

-------------

Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 2:45am

Dear Sister,

Thank you very much for the interesting info about sleep pyralisis. I do however agree with Bluesun as science has tried to make up several 'logical sounding' solutions to religious issues. I understand that you are not a muslima so this might be hard for you to comprehend, but again thank you so much for even taking the time to post and even pasting that article. It shows you care.

Blue thank you so much for the translated aya! I have printed it out and will keep it by my bed at night. It is terrifying to go through and alhumdullilah it has been quite a while now, maybe a 3months, ( Id get it as often as twice a month) since I have experienced it.

But can anyone answer my questions about Why this Jinn will choose one person and not another? Or why it does this period? Is it just mean?

Salam alikom

Posted By: ak_m_f
Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 4:24am

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">It amazes me how we are so inclined to believe an article in a journal, yet reject the word of Allah (swt).<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">I don't see the point you are making, the only thing the above text is doing is examining the symptoms of "Sleep Paralyses". What is the cause, the changes of chemicals in our brain, again this is a symptom and not the cause, the weight on a persons chest or strangling, again a symptom not the cause.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">I guess firstly you have to believe in god to have some understanding of�Jinn�s or demons. If you believe in scientology then there is no basis of such belief, as it would contradict the foundations on which science is based. (but this is not a discussion on the existence of god, so we will not tread this path)<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

show me the ayat in quran where it says that jin will come and sit on you?

Posted By: salman_s
Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 4:38am

Salam alaikom all.

Let me get to the point. I am 27. Ever since I was about 18 I have been having...well, nightmares?

When I sleep...I often wake up to the feeling of someone, or, something, squeezing me. Or, sitting on me, or hugging me real hard? People ask me if I was dreaming, IT IS NOT A DREAM.

It once got to the point where I could not sleep without my husband in fear it would happen. When this does happen, it usually wakes me up and I'm so terrified the only way I can "make it stop" is reciting quran over and over till it eases up and lets go. It wont even let me reach for my husband in attempt to wake him up and help me.

Why does it only come to me, and not my husband, he's right next to me? (may it never happen to him inshallah)

What is this???? a jinni????? shaitan??? It is not a dream I wake up during it.

I've started reciting quran before going to sleep, and my husband reads quran on me. Hamdulillah I am happy to say it has been quite a while since I last experieced it. All I am seeking ar answers to what this thing is? I hate it. I wish it would leave me alone forever inshallah.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and Allah bless you all Inshallah.

masha Allah it is good that you have started to recite the Qur'an in the night before sleeping.

when you are going to sleep, recite surah fatiha, ayatul kursi, the  four Qul of the Qur'an and recite as much of the Qur'an you know. insha Allah you will be at ease and your problem will disappear. pray to Allah as he is the Only Wali (Protector). 

Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 5:20am
You need an "exorcist"
I command you in the name of jesus !

Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 5:25am
Originally posted by ak_m_f ak_m_f wrote:

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">It amazes me how we are so inclined to believe an article in a journal, yet reject the word of Allah (swt).<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">I don't see the point you are making, the only thing the above text is doing is examining the symptoms of "Sleep Paralyses". What is the cause, the changes of chemicals in our brain, again this is a symptom and not the cause, the weight on a persons chest or strangling, again a symptom not the cause.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">I guess firstly you have to believe in god to have some understanding of Jinn�s or demons. If you believe in scientology then there is no basis of such belief, as it would contradict the foundations on which science is based. (but this is not a discussion on the existence of god, so we will not tread this path)<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

show me the ayat in quran where it says that jin will come and sit on you?

Firstly I never mentioned anything of the sort (that in the Qur'an it is written Jinn will come and sit on you, Nauthubillah !!), secondly my knowledge on what is in the Qur'an is like a drop in the ocean. Instead why don't you prove to me that sleep paralysis does exists, and that Jinn don't, as I know for sure that there is mention of good and bad Jinn in the Qur'an.

And Allah knows best !!

-------------

Posted By: foody
Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 5:45am
I would just like to point out that I too face this and not only that..but feel a hand scratching the back of my kneck and I force myself to wake up many many times but I am unable too wake up until finally the hand scratching at the back of my kneck stops then I can wake up. Sometimes I feel such horrible pressure on me and unable to move and open my eyes even though I am awake..

Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 6:35am

However, these we believe to be symptoms of some other underlying cause, which you believe as being where the "mind is awake and the body is asleep"

Not only is that impossible, as all possible states of consciousness are controlled by the brain, so if they mind is awake then so is the body.

Then explain to me why i am awake, and my body cannot move! ?

Quote I've had instances where I rolling around, eyes wide open fighting off something, this is not sleep paralyses !

I wouldn't say that myself either and it doesn't sound like sleep paralysis either.

Quote Sleep paralyses is the attempted scientific explanation given to this phenomenon, it lacks in proof and even theory.

lacks proof??? what am I and many people out there?? even test sleep test have been performed.

There are many people out there who have and continue with this, including me!(although since becoming aware I haven't had any episodes) 

Quote What you have read is the scientific opinion, and of course religion is not based on science. Science on the other the study to unravel the marvels of gods creation, even then most of what science is purely theoretical. It is not proven to this day whether an Atom exists or not !!  

And rain falling from the sky is not factual  

-------------

Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 6:46am

It amazes me how we are so inclined to believe an article in a journal, yet reject the word of Allah (swt).

I'm going on personal experience here and not necessarily an article and where there are evidence, what about you?

It was asked if others had experience, so since I had I talked and gave what it is and some more information, it is not just that article, I gave other resources that talks more and with causes.

Quote I guess firstly you have to believe in god to have some understanding of Jinn�s or demons.

just a guess of yours not fact!

I do believe in God.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 7:04am

Rain is mentioned in the Qur'an, Sleep Paralyses is not !!!

Thousands of scientific studies into all the ayats of the Qur'an have revealed that no person is able to come up with a single ayat that is exactly the same as one in the Qur'an. And this will never happen, why? because it says so in the Qur'an, like it there are ayats on rain ! 

It seems obsurd that since you became aware of this scientific phenonmenon you no longer experience "Sleep Paralyses", if only we could cure the world in this way !!! I'm sure in this case you are a medical marvel, perhaps you should donate your body to scientific study. ( I have very little time, else I would go into this subject a little more, perhaps later, since right now I am at work !)

-------------

Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 7:13am

I'm sorry, I'm not having a go at you, but it appears you are attacking my beliefs, since in the Qur'an Jinns are mentioned frequently so not to believe in Jinns, is not to believe in the All Mighty.

All I can say it is impossible for the mind to be awake and the body to be asleep. These studies always involve people who suffer from such episodes, I know how results can be portrayed, I studied Bio-Psychology for 4 years, and believe me when the mind is awake the body is awake !

-------------

Posted By: Colin
Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 7:28am

It seems obsurd that since you became aware of this scientific phenonmenon you no longer experience "Sleep Paralyses", if only we could cure the world in this way !!! I'm sure in this case you are a medical marvel, perhaps you should donate your body to scientific study. ( I have very little time, else I would go into this subject a little more, perhaps later, since right now I am at work !)

Bluesun, it's not really that absurd, it's probably a manifestation of the widely accepted psychosomatic principle that the mind can have a direct affect on the body.

psy�cho�so�mat�ic    https://secure.reference.com/premium/login.html?rd=2&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdictionary.reference.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3DPsychosomatic">Audio pronunciation of "Psychosomatic" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (sk-s-mtk)
adj.

1. Of or relating to a disorder having physical symptoms but originating from mental or emotional causes.
  2. Relating to or concerned with the influence of the mind on the body, and the body on the mind, especially with respect to disease: psychosomatic medicine.

Posted By: ops154
Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 7:38am

Thousands of scientific studies into all the ayats of the Qur'an have revealed that no person is able to come up with a single ayat that is exactly the same as one in the Qur'an. And this will never happen, why? because it says so in the Qur'an, like it there are ayats on rain ! 

I'll stick with the thousands of books over just 1. Any 1 book.

-------------
Get it through your heads that I don't support Bush or the Israeli's! Thank your lucky stars for America is here to stay!!!

Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 7:56am

Thankyou for looking into the dictionary for Psychosomatic for me !

Lack of faith in the Almighty Creator is one of the theories of psychological disorders leading to psychoneurosis and psychoses.  This can be understood from the knowledge of the mechanisms of development disorders.

Man is constantly exposed to stress conditions.  It is not possible to avoid stress in life.  One tries to adjust to the stresses of life by methods which he has learned as well as by the inherited tendencies of reactions to stress.  The resul of this stress adaptation interaction is a STESS REACTION.  The effect of this stress reaction will depend upon the severity on stress and on the power of adaptation of the individual to stress.  If stress is mild an dpower of adaptation is good, the reaction results in an adjustment which is beneficial to the individual.  However, if the stress is severe and adjustment poor, it results in major mental disorders (psychosis).

A person who has the faith in Allah the Alkmighty and He is with Him, has an intense moral support which will sustain him in th emost adverse situations in life.

The hadith mention extensively of the importance of the virtues of remembrances of Allah and the Holy Quran bears a testimony to it in the following words:

BEHOLD ITS MERIT THAT REMEMBRANCE OF ALLAH BESTOWS SATISFACTION OF HEART

Maybe Sleep Paralyses has it's foundations in psychoneurosis??

It is logical to conclude that believing in one Allah as preached by Islam provides the real moral support as needed in life and bestows satisfaction of heart.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 8:07am

Ah, is this how its going to be, if its not in the qu'ran then is not possible.

The qur'an is not a science book. I learnt that a long time ago.

Its funny how you use science to prove qu'ran but not in anything else, I thought that you said that science is theory, so what you say above is just theory about ayats according to you .

Quote It seems obsurd that since you became aware of this scientific phenonmenon you no longer experience "Sleep Paralyses", if only we could cure the world in this way !!!

why is it obsurd ?

Many things are just a mind over matter.

Conquer your fears and they will disappear as they say  

-------------

Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 8:16am

The Qur'an is something which you know not. 

Science is used today to disprove the Qur'an, yet all it manages to acheive is to approve it. Take the example of Iron, if I were you I would read on this matter, and read what it says in the Qur'an.

Please read this book �The Bible, The Qur'an and Science" author Dr. Maurice Bucaille. I'm sure this book will any many questions as to the scientific qualities in the Qur'an and modern science.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 8:21am

I'm sorry, I'm not having a go at you, but it appears you are attacking my beliefs, since in the Qur'an Jinns are mentioned frequently so not to believe in Jinns, is not to believe in the All Mighty.

where have I attacked your beliefs ? whether you believe in jins or not it does not discount what i shared and put forth

Quote All I can say it is impossible for the mind to be awake and the body to be asleep. These studies always involve people who suffer from such episodes, I know how results can be portrayed, I studied Bio-Psychology for 4 years, and believe me when the mind is awake the body is awake !

And I'm saying that it is possible from what I have studied.

Here is more info if you haven't researched, it is from wiki:

Physiologically, it is closely related to the normal paralysis that occurs during REM (rapid eye movement) sleep, also known as REM atonia. Sleep paralysis occurs when the brain is awakened from an REM state into essentially a normal fully awake state, but the bodily paralysis is still occurring. This causes the person to be fully aware, but unable to move. In addition, this state is usually accompanied by hypnagogic hallucinations.

Little is known about the physiology of sleep paralysis. However, some have suggested that it may be linked to post-synaptic inhibition of motor neurons in the pons region of the brain. In particular, low levels of melatonin may stop the depolarization current in the nerves, which prevents the stimulation of the muscles.

There is also a significant positive correlation between those experiencing this disorder frequently and those suffering from narcolepsy. However, various studies suggest that many or most people will experience sleep paralysis at least once or twice in their lives.

Some report that various factors increase the likelihood of both paralysis and hallucinations. These include:

-------------

Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 8:29am

Lack of faith in the Almighty Creator is one of the theories of psychological disorders leading to psychoneurosis and psychoses.  This can be understood from the knowledge of the mechanisms of development disorders.

It is logical to conclude that believing in one Allah as preached by Islam provides the real moral support as needed in life and bestows satisfaction of heart.

oh please don't get me started!

Quote A person who has the faith in Allah the Alkmighty and He is with Him, has an intense moral support which will sustain him in th emost adverse situations in life.

And what makes you think I am not one of those people?  oh right I am not muslim

-------------

Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 8:31am
Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

where have I attacked your beliefs ? whether you believe in jins or not it does not discount what i shared and put forth

yes, Allah has clearly revealed in the Qur'an that Allah has created two classes and the purpose He created these two classes is to worship Allah (alone)

these classes are - jinn which Allah created from smokeless fire, and mankind which Allah created from clay.

Allah created the angels from very fine light, and the angels worship Allah day and night.

so we as muslims have been ordered by Allah to believe in what Allah has revealed in the Qur'an. if we don't believe then we are not muslims.

Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 8:34am

The Qur'an is something which you know not. 

oh please, I know I don't know everything, but I do know some things

-------------

Posted By: Suleyman
Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 8:37am
Angel,your count says 4255,quite crazy it seems,lol!...

Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 8:39am

Originally posted by salman_s salman_s wrote:

so we as muslims have been ordered by Allah to believe in what Allah has revealed in the Qur'an. if we don't believe then we are not muslims.

Yes Salman, But did Allah reveal everything ? Is there something saying that computers will be invented? or the internet?

-------------

Posted By: Israfil
Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 8:52am

Wow the discussion of the Qur'an and Science defies what is being talked here....Oh well I might as well commence in this! I disagree with the following statement:

>>>Science is used today to disprove the Qur'an, yet all it manages to acheive is to approve it. Take the example of Iron, if I were you I would read on this matter, and read what it says in the Qur'an.<<<<

A common error that my brethren make here is saying "Science tries to disprove Qur'an" first off science itself is abstract, inanimate and a non-living thing but a word. Now if you were to say "scientist" then that is another story. First off scientist don't try to disporve anything. They are the first ones to say that God cannot be proved or disproved. However there are some scientist both believers and non-believers that have their own personal beliefs about science itself. Scientist live by a universal rule: Empiricism. But that doesn't mean that empiricism is used to prove or disprove God its a way of finding truth. 

Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 8:58pm

Wow.

I never expected this to turn into such a debate. But Mashallah hamdulillah I am very happy with the responses. Iv'e never really known anyone I could talk about this to.

I'm not the smartest person out there, trust me, so I'll just stick with facts:

*When dear sister angel acknowledged the problem, it went away for her hamdillilah. It did not go away for me though.

*It however DID go away when I started reciting the Quran. But again this is ME PERSONALLY.

*I do feel this unexplainable feeling of 'evil' (as cheesy as it sounds) or 'something/one there' while this happens.

*The quran does say (forgive me for not knowing the Aya) that from everything in the universe there is for us to discover, we will only ever discover a "little" of it. I heard that scholars estimated "a little" to be around 10%-forgive me if I am wrong.

I'm not rejecting the sleep pyralisis idea. I think even if I had to choose one over the other to have I'd definately choose the pyralisis over the idea of a jinn being near me!! Whatever this is, It is an awful feeling and I wouldnt wish it on anyone.

Jinni or pyralis, whatever it is it's terrifying. If I go to a shaikh he'll say jinn. If I go to a doctor he'll say pyralisis. Allahu aalam. For now however, with my constant recital of quran before falling asleep, and the aya kursi that was so graciously given to me by sun, I have not experienced this thing for some time now Alhamdulillah.

Thank you to all the people who replied to my post. It made me very happy and grateful. It's enough to just know there are other people this happens to.

To the poster who posted about the back scratching--OH GOD I would be utterly terrified. But I feel whatever that was that happened to you is very similar to my experieces.

Innah lillah, salam alaikom, and allah bless.

Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 11:20pm

Yes Salman, But did Allah reveal everything ? Is there something saying that computers will be invented? or the internet?

Allah has revealed what is good for mankind, and to bring mankind out of depth of darkness into light and for that he sent many prophets (peace be on all of them) and then finally Allah sent the last prophet, that is, Prophet Muhammad (may peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and revealed to him the Qur'an.

Allah is the All-Knower of the unseen and the seen. Allah is the All-Knower of all the things. Allah knows best what to reveal and what not to reveal.

Date Posted: 30 May 2006 at 11:57pm

Yes Salman, But�did Allah�reveal everything ? Is there something saying that computers will be invented? or the internet?

Allah has revealed what is good for mankind, and to bring mankind out of depth of darkness into light and for that he sent many prophets (peace be on all of them) and then finally Allah sent the last prophet, that is, Prophet Muhammad (may peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and revealed to him the Qur'an.

Allah is the All-Knower of the unseen and the seen. Allah is the All-Knower of all the things. Allah knows best what to reveal and what not to reveal.

So Computer is bad for mankind?

Date Posted: 31 May 2006 at 12:05am

So Computer is bad for mankind?

i don't know. Allah knows best

Allah has revealed what is good for mankind

i should say Allah has revealed what is best for mankind.

hope this solves the issue

Date Posted: 31 May 2006 at 3:24am

Israfil and 3, I like your posts.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 May 2006 at 3:51am

Salaam everyone,

Looks like this discussion has drawn to a close, the questioner seems content with the answers she got, all bet somewhat vague in nature, and open to discussion.

I only have one thing to add

Angel wrote

�Little is known about the physiology of sleep paralysis. However, some have suggested that it may be linked to post-synaptic inhibition of motor neurons in the pons region of the brain. In particular, low levels of melatonin may stop the depolarization current in the nerves, which prevents the stimulation of the muscles.�

There is no definitive answer provided, only theories, and the quote above is only a possible chain of events not the cause, the cause lays somewhat deeper in mystery hence very difficult to explain, similar to schizophrenia.

Jazak-Allah Khare

Next topic - Quran, Science and Modern beliefs ?? how about it Angel ?

-------------

Date Posted: 31 May 2006 at 10:35pm

Sorry at the moment I can't, got to slow down and concentrate on other things

-------------

Posted By: Workerman
Date Posted: 12 June 2006 at 8:50am

I used to have the same problem few times a week at least. Hasn't happened for some time now though.

I can relate exactly to what you have been experiencing. I don't think some of the scientific arguments are accurate in the context at least.

I say that because when I used to have these episodes, I used to recite the verses from the Holy Quran and as I did that, the "grip" got stronger....when I stopped it got "looser".

I can recall that at one point, I even got quite angry and forced my body to get up and face "it". I didn't have a problem after that....at least not for months.

The way I see it. I almost like facing these kind of things. This is because these "things" only serve to increase my faith in the Creator of all things. We can only ask for His protection and will He not protect one who asks for it?

Date Posted: 12 June 2006 at 1:07pm
maybe you should stop smoking crack for a while.

Posted By: schwester
Date Posted: 12 June 2006 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by foody foody wrote:

I would just like to point out that I too face this and not only that..but feel a hand scratching the back of my kneck and I force myself to wake up many many times but I am unable too wake up until finally the hand scratching at the back of my kneck stops then I can wake up. Sometimes I feel such horrible pressure on me and unable to move and open my eyes even though I am awake..

my god. what oyu're all talking about. more scaring than the Ring

Posted By: mariyah
Date Posted: 12 June 2006 at 7:27pm

Salaam everyone,

Looks like this discussion has drawn to a close, the questioner seems content with the answers she got, all bet somewhat vague in nature, and open to discussion.

I only have one thing to add

Angel wrote

�Little is known about the physiology of sleep paralysis. However, some have suggested that it may be linked to post-synaptic inhibition of motor neurons in the pons region of the brain. In particular, low levels of melatonin may stop the depolarization current in the nerves, which prevents the stimulation of the muscles.�

There is no definitive answer provided, only theories, and the quote above is only a possible chain of events not the cause, the cause lays somewhat deeper in mystery hence very difficult to explain, similar to schizophrenia.

Jazak-Allah Khare

AS a night nurse ,I have seen this phenomena in patients, it is more commonly called night terrors. I pray for Allah to keep the person safe from the shaytan, and it usually stops it. My nursing assistants think I am crazy for quoting Bismallah before I go into each dark room, but the Jinn seem to like illness and places of illness! I am well educated and very modern, does this make me superstitious or just cautious?

-------------
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.

Date Posted: 13 June 2006 at 5:36am

There is a way to know if anything is in the room, have some animals in there and they soon will let you know.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 June 2006 at 7:32am

There is a way to know if anything is in the room, have some animals in there and they soon will let you know.

I prefer kpeeping a wild bear in the room, what about you Angel?

Posted By: Megatron
Date Posted: 14 June 2006 at 12:02am
I don't understand it.  Angel gave a perfect description of the symptoms.  Sleep paralysis is a psychological phenomenon.  Yet so many people deny this perfectly good explanation.

I'm a Muslim but where does Islam tell you to be a big idiot denying the underlying cause of things and making up ridiculous stories?

Example, you're walking down the street and you trip on a rock and break your arm.  Are you gonna blame it on some Jinn that put the rock there and caused you to trip? Maybe some kids put it there...isn't that a more feasible explanation.

When one of my patients has a skin infection for example, I give him/her antibiotics.  I don't tell her that her infection is caused by a Jinn scratching at her skin and tell her to pray more to get rid of it. 

I'm not denying the power of prayer but as a Muslim you're supposed to can these dark-aged religious ideologies.  Embrace the truth.  This is a psychological phenomenon.  Curing ills require using that massive cranium Allah has given you by correcting the wrong and praying that your actions have worked.  

Anyway to the sister that had the problem, antidepressants have met some success in treating sleep paralysis.  Talk to your doctor if this is a feasible option.  If prayer alone works for you then by all means do it.  But don't believe these non-sensical stories about jinn, ghosts, leprachauns and unicorns causing problems.  Jeez!!!

Date Posted: 14 June 2006 at 2:46am

I prefer kpeeping a wild bear in the room, what about you Angel?

lol!

-------------

Posted By: Patty
Date Posted: 14 June 2006 at 10:53am

I used to suffer from sleep paralysis.  It was terrifying.  I was soon afraid to fall asleep!  I had to see a doctor and go to a "sleep clinic" for an evaluation. 

Here in an interesting article which accurately describes what all goes on during this horrifying experience:

Relations among hypnagogic and hypnopompic experiences

associated with sleep paralysis*

J . ALLAN CHEYNE, IAN R. NEWBY-CLARK and STEVE D . RUEFFER

Department of Psychology, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Accepted in revised form 11 May 1999; received 16 November 1998

SUMMARY The Waterloo Sleep Experiences Scale was developed to assess the prevalence of sleep paralysis and a variety of associated hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinoid experiences: sensed presence, felt pressure, floating sensations, auditory and visual hallucinations, and fear. Consistent with results of recent surveys, almost 30% of 870 university students reported at least one experience of sleep paralysis. Approximately three-quarters of those also reported at least one hallucinoid experience, and slightly more than 10% experienced three or more. Fear was positively associated with hallucinoid experiences, most clearly with sensed presence. Regression analyses lend support to the hypothesis that sensed presence and fear are primitive associates of sleep paralysis and contribute to the elaboration of further hallucinoid experiences, especially those involving visual experiences.

KEYWORDS fear, hallucinations, hypnagogic, hypnopompic, sleep paralysis

INTRODUCTION 1962; Ness 1978; Penn et al. 1981). More recent surveys have yielded somewhat more consistent rates of 25�40%

et al. 1998; Fukuda et al. 1987, 1998; Spanos et al. 1995; Wing

associated with sleep paralysis

Often, however, investigators have asked about hallucinoid experiences and sleep paralysis in the same question. Sleep paralysis occurs immediately prior to falling asleep or upon waking. During these episodes, individuals are conscious Simple counts of sleep paralysis alone, or assessments that conflate sleep paralysis and various combinations of of their surroundings and able to open their eyes, but unable to move (Hishikawa 1976). An acute sense of fear and various experiences, leave open many questions.

How many cases consist of only paralysis? How many consist of paralysis with hypnagogic and hypnopompic experiences often accompany sleep paralysis, although little systematic evidence is available additional experiences? What is the prevalence of the most common hallucinoid experiences? Do particular constellations on the prevalence of different experiences within a sleepparalysis episode. Sleep paralysis may occur during sleep onset- of experiences co-occur?

The latter sort of question is particularly interesting as it opens up the intriguing possibility or offset-REM (Fukuda 1994; Hishikawa and Shimizu 1995) and the hallucinoid experiences may result from neurological of exploring the structure and dynamics of the hallucinoid experiences. Moreover, understanding even basic issues such events associated with REM dream imagery (Hishikawa and

Shimizu 1995). These experiences include a sensed presence, as the prevalence and nature of sleep paralysis requires a more detailed and systematic assessment of both sleep paralysis and auditory and visual hallucinations, unusual bodily sensations including floating, and feelings of pressure on the body associated experiences.

The Waterloo Sleep Experiences Scale was designed to assess the prevalence of sleep paralysis and (Hishikawa 1976; Hufford 1982).

Early reported rates in clinical and nonclinical populations associated experiences, as well as to permit the analysis of relations among such experiences. Related research with this vary dramatically � from a low of 3% to a high of 62% (Goode instrument has discovered a high degree of structure in the patterning of hypnagogic and hypnopompic experiences.

* This research has received ethics clearance from the Office of Human (Cheyne et al. in press). This structure is consistent with cultural

Research of the University of Waterloo.

accounts of the �Old Hag�, �Kanashibari�, and ghost oppression Correspondence: J. Allan Cheyne, Department of Psychology,

that have been linked to sleep paralysis and associated University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. E-mail:

[email protected] experiences (Fukuda 1994;

In plain language, hallucinations also occur during sleep paralysis.  This would be the reason for "seeing" evil things, etc.  It is due to "misfiring of some of the neurons in the brain.  I take a low dose of a tranquilizer, and I don't have them anymore at all.  It is such a relief to be rid of them, because I was truly terrified too!!  It is really not a laughing matter for anyone who has had them.  There are some good, and safe, medications which control this ailment.

I hope this might be of some help!

God's Peace.

-------------
Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.

Date Posted: 14 June 2006 at 10:55am

Angel said:

"There is a way to know if anything is in the room, have some animals in there and they soon will let you know. "

Does my husband count?

God's Peace.

-------------
Patty

Date Posted: 14 June 2006 at 11:03am

ak chortled:

"maybe you should stop smoking crack for a while."

LOLOLOLOLOLOOL!!!! Where DO you come up with this stuff?  You have such a talent as a comic when you want to....you and Colin should get an act together! 

-------------
Patty

Date Posted: 14 June 2006 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by Patty Patty wrote:

ak chortled:

LOLOLOLOLOLOOL!!!! Where DO you come up with this stuff?  You have such a talent as a comic when you want to....you and Colin should get an act together! 

We have Patty, it is yet another unique service brought to you by the senior executives of Happiness Inc (Formerly Happiness LTD).

PS. To all you rich but unhappy people out there: Keep sending us the cash/cheques and we at Happiness Inc will continue to guarantee you a happy life free from the stress and sorrow that excessive wealth brings.

Date Posted: 14 June 2006 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Colin Colin wrote:

We have Patty, it is yet another unique service brought to you by the senior executives of Happiness Inc (Formerly Happiness LTD).

PS. To all you rich but unhappy people out there: Keep sending us the cash/cheques and we at Happiness Inc will continue to guarantee you a happy life free from the stress and sorrow that excessive wealth brings.

we do not trust in what you say.....

Date Posted: 14 June 2006 at 11:01pm

We have hundreds of satisfied customers.

Date Posted: 14 June 2006 at 11:04pm

you are fooling all of them.......and i don't want to be among those who get fooled

Date Posted: 14 June 2006 at 11:40pm

you are fooling all of them.......and i don't want to be among those who get fooled

Salman, how could you be so cynical?

Here's a customer endorsement from a Mr GWB of Idiotsville Texas:

Dear Colin and AK,

I would like to thank the caring folk of Happiness Inc for making me so happy. Before I signed up to your fantastic ten day wealth-loss program I was the most misrable person in America. I would mope about all day in my eliptical shaped office, often staring manically at the big red button on my desktop that said NUKE EM ALL. In a futile attempt to forget my unhappiness, I would order the invasion of countries for no logical reason, overdose on pretzels and kick my faithful dog Rummy.

I can honestly say that since I sent you all my money I am the happiest person in the world. I have no hesitation in recommending your marvelous service to sad gits everywhere.

Yours, GWB

Date Posted: 14 June 2006 at 11:48pm

Salman, how could you be so cynical?

Here's a customer endorsement from a Mr GWB of Idiotsville Texas:

Dear Colin and AK,

I would like to thank the caring folk of Happiness Inc for making me so happy. Before I signed up to your fantastic ten day wealth-loss program I was the most misrable person in America. I would mope about all day in my eliptical shaped office, often staring manically at the big red button on my desktop that said NUKE EM ALL. In a futile attempt to forget my unhappiness, I would order the invasion of countries for no logical reason, overdose on pretzels and kick my faithful dog Rummy.

I can honestly say that since I sent you all my money I am the happiest person in the world. I have no hesitation in recommending your marvelous service to sad gits everywhere.

Yours, GWB

yes, i have heard of this man Mr. GWB. he has come from a mental hospital

only crazy people like Mr. GWB can accept your offer

i assume everybody is smart in this forum and they won't accept your offer

Date Posted: 15 June 2006 at 5:03am

Okay, okay.....so maybe you've made a "hit" with one single famous, or infamous, depending on your politics, individual.  Name two more.  I'll betcha can't do it!  Or, did you and ak make so much money on this one formerly mentioned client that you can now retire for life?  I mean you're both good -- even better as a team, but c'mon.  How much call is there, really, for your services?  I mean how good are you?  Have there been any clients from whom you have been unable to illicit a good chuckle?  Have you tried to get mr. whisper to chuckle, even one little chuckle?  How do you accept failure?  Do you take it badly, or do you just "let it go" and move on to the next gullible sap, er, client?

God's peace always.

-------------
Patty

Date Posted: 15 June 2006 at 5:08am

Okay, okay.....so maybe you've made a "hit" with one single famous, or infamous, depending on your politics, individual.  Name two more.  I'll betcha can't do it!  Or, did you and ak make so much money on this one formerly mentioned client that you can now retire for life?  I mean you're both good -- even better as a team, but c'mon.  How much call is there, really, for your services?  I mean how good are you?  Have there been any clients from whom you have been unable to illicit a good chuckle?  Have you tried to get mr. whisper to chuckle, even one little chuckle?  How do you accept failure?  Do you take it badly, or do you just "let it go" and move on to the next gullible sap, er, client?

God's peace always.

Sorry, I'm much to busy counting cash to fully respond to you.

Date Posted: 15 June 2006 at 5:14am
Drat!

-------------
Patty

Date Posted: 15 June 2006 at 6:04am

God's peace always.

i think ak_m_f is smart....poor colin, ak_m_f has given colin the work of counting the cash.....and ak_m_f is busy enjoying himself......

Date Posted: 15 June 2006 at 8:24am

i think ak_m_f is smart....poor colin, ak_m_f has given colin the work of counting the cash.....and ak_m_f is busy enjoying himself......

no mr colin is smart, I am counting change

He always gets away with the 'clip'

Date Posted: 15 June 2006 at 8:17pm

ak chortled:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!   

-------------

Date Posted: 15 June 2006 at 8:19pm

God's peace always.

Patty I think you should get him back, Colin ditched you  

-------------

Date Posted: 15 June 2006 at 8:26pm

associated with sleep paralysis*

Some of the things I brought across also explains about hypnagogic and hypnopomic

-------------

Posted By: Angela
Date Posted: 15 June 2006 at 8:34pm

Oh, guys, AK, Colin, Angel, Salman, Patty, thank you, thank you, thank you.

I've been depressed all day and I am wiping tears from my eyes after laughing very hard at that exchange.

Spacibo Bolshoiya

Date Posted: 15 June 2006 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Angela Angela wrote:

I've been depressed all day and I am wiping tears from my eyes after laughing very hard at that exchange.

Spacibo Bolshoiya

Your Welcome

I guess its true what they say, laughter is the best medicine  And that colin and ak's little company is working

-------------

Date Posted: 15 June 2006 at 10:32pm

Spacibo Bolshoiya

Your Welcome

I guess its true what they say, laughter is the best medicine  And that colin and ak's little company is working

colin and ak_m_f have built their company without taking any permission....the bulldozers have been ordered to demolish their company....

Date Posted: 16 June 2006 at 12:46am

Spacibo Bolshoiya

Your Welcome

colin and ak_m_f have built their company without taking any permission....the bulldozers have been ordered to demolish their company....

Happiness Inc is a virtual company... so until someone invents a virtual bulldozer, we're safe.

Posted By: Mishmish
Date Posted: 16 June 2006 at 1:42am

"Happiness Inc is a virtual company... so until someone invents a virtual bulldozer, we're safe."

I'm sure we Mods have one somewhere... I'll look around.

-------------
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)

Date Posted: 16 June 2006 at 2:00am
Originally posted by Mishmish Mishmish wrote:

"Happiness Inc is a virtual company... so until someone invents a virtual bulldozer, we're safe."

That's ok, Happiness Inc* will simply hop to other forums until we've made the whole online world happy**.

*All major credit cards accepted. Remember, happiness levels can go down as well as up. **Your happiness may be at risk if you don't keep up payments. Happiness Inc is a licensed Joy broker governed by the Independent Happiness Services Regulatory Board (License no: 13256/Ak/C/0005).

Date Posted: 16 June 2006 at 4:44am

Read salman's post then yours and I cracked laughing    that was a good come back.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 June 2006 at 8:18am

Spacibo Bolshoiya

Your Welcome

Happiness Inc is a virtual company... so until someone invents a virtual bulldozer, we're safe.

i am talking about virtual bulldozers colin.....they have been given order to demolish your virtual company...they may b there any time.....

Date Posted: 16 June 2006 at 8:20am

Originally posted by Mishmish Mishmish wrote:

That's ok, Happiness Inc* will simply hop to other forums until we've made the whole online world happy**.

and virtual bulldozers will be following you wherever you go....until they demolish all your virtual companies....

Date Posted: 16 June 2006 at 10:48am

and virtual bulldozers will be following you wherever you go....until they demolish all your virtual companies....

comeup with something new.

Date Posted: 16 June 2006 at 10:57am

comeup with something new.

ofcourse, i will bring brand new virtual hi-fi bulldozers which will demolish your company into dust particles

Date Posted: 16 June 2006 at 11:13am
ok, I think its enough now, we should turn back to the original topic, although I don't think there is any more to put down for sleep paralysis/night terrors thou.  

-------------

Date Posted: 16 June 2006 at 11:17am
i agree

Date Posted: 16 June 2006 at 11:22am
i also agree, but their company will be demolished....

Posted By: Velvet
Date Posted: 07 July 2009 at 8:07pm
 Aslaam Ali kum~
 I have sleep paralyses and I do have bouts with this pretty often....I am not able to move ...only my eyes~ I am Thankful to Allah that I have not had any "thing" set on my chest nor have I seen any "hags" or black shadowy figures but many people do have. You must relize that your body is asleep and your brain is awake (some how the brain has not signaled the body that is has woke-up)~ Once you relize this... you will not be soo frightened~ We are believers (Thank God) and God promises us that we are "looked" after all the time. 
 Some things that might help...
Don't sleep on your back..(almost always happens on your back...wierd)
Don't nap in the day and if you do set a time say 30 minutes or so-have some one wake you.
Try to sleep at a regular time. I hope this helps all my prayers for you...Assalaam alikum

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net