Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: India and U.S. to explore the moon
Posted By: salman
Subject: India and U.S. to explore the moon
Date Posted: 09 May 2006 at 11:54pm
India and US to explore the Moon
The Moon
India is also considering a manned mission to the Moon
India and the US are to conduct joint research experiments on the Moon.

Under an accord between the countries' space agencies, India's first unmanned lunar mission will carry two scientific payloads from the US agency, Nasa.

Indian officials called the deal a "milestone". The Indian spacecraft is due to be launched in early 2008.

The Nasa instruments will scan the Moon's surface for minerals and ice. Devices from the European Space Agency and Bulgaria will also be on board.

Today is an important milestone in the co-operation between Nasa and Isro
Isro Chairman Madhavan Nair

The deal is being seen as another sign of increasingly close ties between Washington and Delhi after years of Cold War suspicion.

Earlier this year, the two countries finalised a landmark deal on civilian nuclear co-operation.

The US and India have also agreed to co-operate in civil space, including areas such as space exploration, satellite navigation and Earth science.

'Partnership'

Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) chairman Madhavan Nair signed the agreement with Nasa chief Michael Griffin in the southern Indian city of Bangalore.

"Today is an important milestone in the co-operation between Nasa and Isro," Mr Nair told reporters.

Mr Griffin said the pact was "an important partnership to advance the exploration of the Moon".

"The two-year mission of Chandrayaan-I to map the lunar surface and investigate its surface properties will advance knowledge about the Moon's history and evolution, and inform future exploration decisions by characterising the content of the lunar soil," he said.

This was the first visit by a Nasa chief to India in 30 years. The US imposed an embargo on Isro, following India's nuclear tests in 1998.

Mr Nair urged the US to lift certain sanctions that are still in place and allow more high-tech imports.

'No seats'

Chandrayaan-I would be launched in early 2008 from Sriharikota on India's east coast, Mr Nair said.

The European Space Agency (Esa) will also deploy four scientific instruments aboard the spacecraft, which will orbit the Moon at a distance of 100km (62 miles).

On the subject of a manned Indian mission to the Moon, Mr Nair said no decision had been taken.

And asked whether the US might fly an Indian astronaut on one of its space shuttles, Mr Griffin said "we can train but we don't have any seats for the next eight years".

-------------
It is better to be alone than to be in bad company.

Replies:
Posted By: ak_m_f
Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 7:09am
India should first eliminate its hunger problem then think about the moon

Date Posted: 10 May 2006 at 7:12am

Originally posted by ak_m_f ak_m_f wrote:

what has hunger to do with the moon?

-------------

Posted By: Dayem
Date Posted: 12 May 2006 at 10:56pm
You never know Mr.AK_m_f, maybe there is fertile land in moon.

~Never give up hope~

-------------
"the mooslims! they're heeere!"
LOONWATCH.COM

Date Posted: 13 May 2006 at 7:17am

Originally posted by Dayem Dayem wrote:

You never know Mr.AK_m_f, maybe there is fertile land in moon.

~Never give up hope~

what is the use of fertile soil with no sunlight

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2006 at 7:37am
dayem, may be india is looking for something else on the moon

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2006 at 10:16am
Originally posted by salman salman wrote:

I hope you never become president of India.

Date Posted: 13 May 2006 at 10:38am
'No space for Indian astronaut in US shuttle'
(IANS)

10 May 2006

BANGALORE � Even as the second Indian American astronaut Sunita Williams braces up to board the US space shuttle later this year, there is no seat available in Nasa space missions to fly an Indian astronaut, a top official of the US agency said yesterday.

"We could not train an Indian astronaut at the Johnson Space Centre last year although we would have been happy to do that," National Aeronautics and Space Administration (Nasa) administrator Michael Griffin told reporters here. "As we are restricting the space shuttle flights to only those missions necessary for completing the International Space Station (ISS) and one mission for the Hubble space telescope, there is no seat left for an Indian trained astronaut on board the shuttle over the next four years," Griffin said.

He was here to sign an agreement with Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) to send two American advanced scientific instruments on board Chandrayaan-1, India's first moon mission, in 2008.

In the aftermath of the Columbia space shuttle's crash on February 1, 2003, resulting in the death of first Indian American astronaut Kalpana Chawla along with six other crew members, Nasa had restricted its future missions to 17 space flights. Budgetary constraints were also responsible for the move. "In view of the existing agreements we have with the other member countries for the ISS and other constraints, we could not promise a flight for the Indian trained astronaut though we will be happy train one," Griffin pointed out. Nasa has a crew exploration vehicle but it is not used for space missions. It also has simulators to train astronauts in space condition.

Besides Nasa and the European Space Agency, space agencies of Russia, Japan and Canada are the partners collaborating in setting up the multi-billion dollar ISS for conducting experiments, research and space explorations by 2010.

Date Posted: 14 May 2006 at 5:00am

I hope you never become president of India.

In India, President does not play a big role. The bigger role is played by the Prime Minister, unlike other countries.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 May 2006 at 5:05am

'No space for Indian astronaut in US shuttle'
(IANS)

10 May 2006

BANGALORE � Even as the second Indian American astronaut Sunita Williams braces up to board the US space shuttle later this year, there is no seat available in Nasa space missions to fly an Indian astronaut, a top official of the US agency said yesterday.

no problem. whatever may happen may be for good of india. you never know mishap might happen with this shuttle as well.

insha Allah a day will come when india will make its own space shuttle

-------------

Posted By: Dayem
Date Posted: 14 May 2006 at 8:33pm
Anyone, Is there already a US in moon?

-------------
"the mooslims! they're heeere!"
LOONWATCH.COM

Date Posted: 15 May 2006 at 8:10am

There are many US in moon

Note: US - Uneven Spots (crators)

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2006 at 12:25am

by the way, why do you think so?

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2006 at 5:12am

'No space for Indian astronaut in US shuttle' (IANS) 10 May 2006 BANGALORE � Even as the second Indian American astronaut Sunita Williams braces up to board the US space shuttle later this year, there is no seat available in Nasa space missions to fly an Indian astronaut, a top official of the US agency said yesterday.

no problem. whatever may happen may be for good of india.�you never know�mishap might happen with this shuttle as well.

First eliminate caste system, India needs to work on Satisfying basic needs of its people.

but there is no harm in dreaming.

Date Posted: 17 May 2006 at 12:04am

'No space for Indian astronaut in US shuttle' (IANS) 10 May 2006 BANGALORE � Even as the second Indian American astronaut Sunita Williams braces up to board the US space shuttle later this year, there is no seat available in Nasa space missions to fly an Indian astronaut, a top official of the US agency said yesterday.

no problem. whatever may happen may be for good of india. you never know mishap might happen with this shuttle as well.

First eliminate caste system, India needs to work on Satisfying basic needs of its people.

again ak ! what has caste system to do with science and technology?

-------------

Date Posted: 17 May 2006 at 4:43am

and ak, you stop worrying about india

-------------

Date Posted: 17 May 2006 at 4:46am

insha Allah this dream will come true

-------------

Date Posted: 17 May 2006 at 2:58pm

no problem. whatever may happen may be for good of india. you never know mishap might happen with this shuttle as well.

First eliminate caste system, India needs to work on Satisfying basic needs of its people. but there is no harm in dreaming.

I dont think you get my post, I am not anti India or any thing like that.

Do you know about Maslows theory of basic needs?

first you need basic need like food, shelter, and water.

India is not strong enought financially to support a massive space program when majority of its people are malnutrished.

Cast system has to do with this a lot, if inda wants to join a superpower club then first take care of problems at home, end racism first then think about space programs.

People need basic needs first, what will landing a guy on moon gonna do? how it will help average person?

india depends of foreign aids to support its people.

. In 1980 this aid totaled nearly US$1.5 billion and reached US$2.5 billion in 1990. In 1992 Western aid reached a new height: US$3.9 billion, which represented 49.8 percent of all Western multilateral and bilateral aid given to South Asian nations that year

As another example, Bill Gates announced in November 2002 a massive donation of $100 million to India over ten years to fight AIDS there.

If you can spend billions of dollars to have an space programm then what kind of message you send to public? what making a rocket is more important then average joe?

Date Posted: 17 May 2006 at 11:48pm

no problem. whatever may happen may be for good of india. you never know mishap might happen with this shuttle as well.

First eliminate caste system, India needs to work on Satisfying basic needs of its people. but there is no harm in dreaming.

I dont think you get my post, I am not anti India or any thing like that.

Do you know about Maslows theory of basic needs?

first you need basic need like food, shelter, and water.

India is not strong enought financially to support a massive space program when majority of its people are malnutrished.

Cast system has to do with this a lot, if inda wants to join a superpower club then first take care of problems at home, end racism first then think about space programs.

People need basic needs first, what will landing a guy on moon gonna do? how it will help average person?

india depends of foreign aids to support its people.

. In 1980 this aid totaled nearly US$1.5 billion and reached US$2.5 billion in 1990. In 1992 Western aid reached a new height: US$3.9 billion, which represented 49.8 percent of all Western multilateral and bilateral aid given to South Asian nations that year

As another example, Bill Gates announced in November 2002 a massive donation of $100 million to India over ten years to fight AIDS there.

If you can spend billions of dollars to have an space programm then what kind of message you send to public? what making a rocket is more important then average joe?

you know ak, indian people are very thoughful and adventurous. even if a beggar sees an indian person on the moon, he may become so happy that may be he may be his hunger may get extinguished by looking at that. even an average indian person or under average indian may feel proud just at the sight of looking an indian or its space shuttle on the moon. we indians want to make progress in such fields.

-------------

Posted By: Patty
Date Posted: 19 May 2006 at 7:22am

ak_m_f posted:

"People need basic needs first, what will landing a guy on moon gonna do? how it will help average person?"

While you are absolutely correct in stating that people need basics, such as food, clothing, and shelter, it is also true they need good paying employment.  I think Salman is right in his thinking.  This agreement between India and NASA will most likely provide thousands of very high paying jobs for the people of India.  This scientific and cooperative effort could well be the beginning of India (and her people) becoming more prosperous and able to have purchasing power to provide themselves with the basic needs of life....and more.  Time will tell, but I see it in a very optimistic light for India.  I truly hope this is a sound and prosperous effort for them.

God's Peace,

Patty

-------------
Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.

Date Posted: 06 June 2006 at 7:22am

you know ak, indian people are very thoughful and adventurous. even if a beggar sees an indian person on the moon, he may become so happy that may be he may be his hunger may get extinguished by looking at that.

Is this guy funny or what ?!

Posted By: salman_s
Date Posted: 06 June 2006 at 7:28am

you know ak, indian people are very thoughful and adventurous. even if a beggar sees an indian person on the moon, he may become so happy that may be he may be his hunger may get extinguished by looking at that.

Is this guy funny or what ?!

really...i am not joking....come to india....indian people are different than others....they are lovely, very thoughtful, adventurous...

Date Posted: 06 June 2006 at 10:42am
Originally posted by salman_s salman_s wrote:

they are lovely, very thoughtful, adventurous...

not all of them.

What about the mobs of Indian ppl killing Sikhs after operation blue star?

remember how the mobs of people ambushed muslims going to Paksitan in 1947?

just recently mobs of your "lovely" & "thoughtful" people committed genocide in Gujarat.

Instead of spending big bucks on a rocket wouldnt it be wise to first educate people ? and ending racism?

http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5001&KW=ak%5Fm%5Ff - here you can see their true colours

Date Posted: 06 June 2006 at 10:46am

not all of them.

What about the mobs of Indian ppl killing Sikhs after operation blue star?

remember how the mobs of people ambushed muslims going to Paksitan in 1947?

just recently mobs of your "lovely" & "thoughtful" people committed genocide in Gujarat.

Instead of spending big bucks on a rocket wouldnt it be wise to first educate people ? and ending racism?

i am talking about the majority of indian population...

Date Posted: 06 June 2006 at 10:48am

and you did the head count ?

Date Posted: 06 June 2006 at 11:03am

and you did the head count ?

i did the tail count....

Date Posted: 06 June 2006 at 11:26am

I can only say that there is good and bad in all countries.  You would not believe the horrendous crimes which are committed here in the US against women and children.....and men.  Sadistic, heinous crimes!  It goes on everywhere.  It is the sinful nature of man. 

I worked for many Indian physicians.  All I can say is they were wonderful to me.  One was a sikh and one was a muslim.  I was treated like a queen.  They especially liked my sense of humor, and it didn't both them in the slightest that I am a blue eye blond from Ireland (originally)....my grandfather is buried in Londonderry, Ireland.

-------------
Patty

Date Posted: 06 June 2006 at 12:26pm

i did the tail count....

You should stop counting monkeys

Date Posted: 07 June 2006 at 12:10am

i did the tail count....

You should stop counting monkeys

why....don't you know ak...there are monkeys in indian forests....and even they are emotional, very thoughtful, adventurous.....just like the indian people

everything is so beautiful in india...

so if somebody lives in india, it does not really matter wether he does the head count or tail count.......

Date Posted: 07 June 2006 at 6:37am

The plans apparently extend not only to the moon, but also to Mars:

After Moon, India is keen to reach out to Mars

BY RAMNATH SHENOY BANGALORE, JAN 17 (PTI)

After the Moon mission, India wants to reach out to Mars and the Government is keen to jump into a possible global bandwagon for this potentially exciting planetary exploration.

Indian Space Research Organisation Chairman G Madhavan Nair said the US and Europe appear to favour a global partnership in this context, and India would be more than willing to be a partner in this huge exercise.

"For the mankind, the next interesting thing (after Moon) is Mars. Already there are indications that more inhabitable...And so on", Nair told PTI here. "To reach there and make an investigation is a big challenge. After the Moon, Mars could be logical step".

India has proposed an unmanned scientific mission to Moon (Chandrayaan-I) in early 2008, in a Rs 380 crore project. The 525 kg satellite is planned to be launched on board India's Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle and placed in 100 km polar orbit around the moon. It will have a life-time of two years.

On Mars, he said there were many countries looking forward to reach Mars in the 2010-2015 time frame. "My personal opinion is we should not be left behind in the race".

According to him, the US and Europe have suggested a global partnership for planetary explorations.

"If planetary explorations become an international theme, it benefits all. We (India) will welcome such a move (global partnership) from any quarter", Madhavan, who is also the Secretary in the Department of Space said.

The ISRO Chairman said the Indian space agency is not shying away from manned mission to Moon. "It's not a question of shying away. Whether we need it (manned mission to Moon) immediately....That debate is going on. Opinion is truely divided. Some people believe that the instruments themselves are more than adequate...Robots can do the job and so on. A few others believe it (manned mission) is a national pride and we should do it.

"We are also subjecting this for an internal review as well as in various professional bodies. May be in the course of a year, we will have better clarity on that (whether or not India should go for a manned mission)," he said.

"If we decide to do such a job, yes, we will gear up for facing such a challenge".

Asked if ISRO has plans to go in for a manned mission, after the unmanned Moon one, Nair said manned mission is going to be very expensive and one has to do cost-benefit analysis. "So, when all this analysis is complete and if there is a positive edge on that (manned mission), we will do it".

Nair also said it's not the fear of failure that's holding back ISRO on manned mission.

"Any ISRO mission is of that kind, very very complex. We have got rockets with hundreds of sub-systems. Satellites with equal complexities in terms of computer and power...Risk has to be taken. In any field there is a finite chance of failure. We have to take risk".

He also said ISRO, at the same time, is also studying technologies associated with manned mission.

On China's manned missions to Moon, Nair said he believed India's neighbour would have got technologies for it from Russia.

God's Peace,

Patty

-------------
Patty

Date Posted: 07 June 2006 at 6:46am

Here are some excerpts from a recent article which show ways in which those in extreme poverty will benefit from space exploration:

"In addition to this acknowledged source of demand for methanol fuel cells, the author now proposes a new use that could create demand that dwarfs the markets described previously, specifically the deployment of alcohol-powered fuel cells as an interim step in providing electricity to rural India and China. Anil K. Rajvanshi, Director of the Nimbkar Agricultural Institute in Maharashtra, India http://pune.sancharnet.in/nariphaltan/ruralelec.htm - has recently written that �it is a matter of shame for all of us that even 56 years after independence, 63% of all rural households in India do not have electricity and use kerosene for lighting.� Running power grid electricity into every rural hamlet in India, China, and elsewhere in Asia, as well as South America and Africa, will cost trillions of dollars and require decades to accomplish, yet that task is essential for the economic development of billions of human beings.

This potential use also creates political allies as space advocates seek sustained governmental funding for space exploration, both inside the United States and around the world. This potential use also establishes a basis for India and the United States to form a strategic partnership for the development and exploitation of lunar platinum. Our assistance with the economic development of the rural poor in India could assist the United States in forging even stronger ties with a vital future ally."

If you are interested, there is much more information available at this link:

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/555/1 - http://www.thespacereview.com/article/555/1

God's Peace!

-------------
Patty

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net