Forum Description: General Discussion
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4438
Printed Date: 30 April 2024 at 2:31am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: OUD perfume and the Sunnah
Posted By: on_the_sunnah
Subject: OUD perfume and the Sunnah
Date Posted: 17 April 2006 at 5:24am
Has anybody ever tried real OUD perfume?  They say it's the costliest perfume in the world...  

I hear a lot of people claiming that perfume is a real important pillar of the Sunnah.  Anyone have any idea about this?

I found this one website with really expensive Oud perfumes, http://www.oriscent.com - www.oriscent.com .  They don't mention anything about the relationship of Oud or perfume to the Sunnah though.

Has anyone ever tried their oils?  Are they really worth the money?

Shukran for your feedback.

Replies:
Posted By: salman
Date Posted: 17 April 2006 at 5:30am

perfumes and scents contain alcolhols in them. it is not sunnah to use perfume and scents.

yes, it is sunnah to use itar which falls under a different category and gives a sweet smell.

-------------
It is better to be alone than to be in bad company.

Posted By: ak_m_f
Date Posted: 17 April 2006 at 6:26am
Pure Indian Oud = $299.95 , wtf?!. I can go to India and get a whole case of it with that money !

Date Posted: 17 April 2006 at 6:30am
In Islam, it is unanimously held that all things are supposed to be deemed pure, and that it is not necessary that all what is declared forbidden is considered impure. This is because impurity is a legal ruling that needs evidence. For example, drugs and fatal poisons are forbidden, yet this by no means qualify them to be impure.

For this reason, some scholars including Rabi`ah, Al-Layth Ibn Sa`d, Al-Muzani (the companion of Ash-Shafi`i) and some other scholars hold that wine is pure regardless of its being unlawful, and that only drinking it is forbidden. However, the majority of jurists are of the view that wine is impure and forbidden.

Thus, we conclude that all that is impure is deemed forbidden, but not vice versa. This is because regarding something as impure is to forbid any physical contact with it, whereas regarding something as unlawful is not necessarily to forbid any contact with it. To illustrate, wearing gold and silk is unlawful (for men), yet they are considered pure by the consensus of scholars and thus can be touched by men.

As far as perfumes containing alcohol is concerned, they consist of many ingredients like water, perfume, and alcohol that comprises the highest percentage. It is known that alcohol is produced from sugarcane by way of distillation. Thus, according to the juristic rule, which states that all things are presumed to be originally pure and that being prohibited does not render something impure, perfumes that contain alcohol are pure, particularly if we bear in mind that they are used for cleaning and perfuming the body. Thus, it is permissible to use these perfumes and there is nothing wrong in that."

Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi, former President of the Islamic Society of North America, adds:

"It is forbidden to drink alcohol. In the perfumes usually denatured alcohol is used. This alcohol is not unclean (najas). According to some jurists even natural alcohol is not najas. According to the Shari`ah, there is nothing wrong in using alcohol based perfumes."

Posted By: Danty
Date Posted: 17 April 2006 at 7:00am
Dear on_the _sunnah,

Oud perfume is made from the oud tree. It is a rare tree that is only grown in certain parts of the world. Primarily, Saudi Arabia. If you want to buy the OUD pefume it is up to you. Some people like the smell and some donnot. It depends on your smell. There are some that cost $24.00 but goes even higher. One of the highest prices I found cost $800.00.

Dear Brother Salman,

It is not good that you said that wearing perfume or musk is not a sunnah. The Prophet (PBUH) liked good smell. And he recommended us to be clean and have a good smell. Our Prophet's(PBUH) life was simple but did not shun the use of good things in life.

There a couple of hadith's that I would like to quote:

1.) Abu Sa'id Khudri reported that Allah's Messenger(PBUH) made a mention of a woman of Banu Isra'il who had filled her ring with musk and musk is the most fragrant of scents. Sahih Muslim,VOLIV, page 1219

2.) Nafi' reported that when Ibn Umar wanted fumigation he got it from aloeswood without mixing anyhthing with it, or he put camphor along with aloeswood and then said: This is how Allah's Messenger(PBUH) fumigated.Sahih Muslim.VOL>IV.page1219.

Also it is fine for men to wear perfume or musk. For women, It is fine to wear perfume or musk, in the presence of their maharam. It says that women who wore perfume outside the home are considered an adultress.It is good for the woman to smell good, but have a light scent which will not attract anyone from the opposite sex. Then again, it is good to keep yourslef clean and smelling good.

Did you know that some of the sahabis of the Prophet (PBUH) even use to collect the sweat of our Prohet(PBUH) as a perfume or musk. He was the most perfect human being.
                      Your sister in Islam.Peace.

Posted By: Mishmish
Date Posted: 17 April 2006 at 10:52am

Assalamu Alaikum:

I have smelled some very expensive oud from Saudi Arabia and it smelled delicious. But there are different types and they do have different aromas.

-------------
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)

Posted By: Jenni
Date Posted: 17 April 2006 at 1:09pm
What about wearing deoderant? I have noticed sometimes at the Masjid when it is crowded that some people haven't yet discovered it. It you have body odor, no perfume will help.

-------------
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.

Date Posted: 17 April 2006 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Jenni Jenni wrote:

What about wearing deoderant? I have noticed sometimes at the Masjid when it is crowded that some people haven't yet discovered it. It you have body odor, no perfume will help.

or better yet, take a shower !

Date Posted: 17 April 2006 at 7:54pm
You know sister Jenni,

Your are silly! . Some people don't even wash with soap and water. That really scares me. HA! Lets just make duaa that every muslim knows the importance of being clean and surely smelling good. Yarabi! Please take care. Salam my sis!

Posted By: salman
Date Posted: 18 April 2006 at 12:17am

Originally posted by Danty Danty wrote:

Dear Brother Salman,

It is not good that you said that wearing perfume or musk is not a sunnah.

danty, let me tell you that perfumes and scents are alcoholic in nature. use of alcohol is haram in islam.

perfumes and scents are different from itar.

what Prophet Muhammad (may peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) used to apply was itar and such other sweet smelling things. so it is sunnah to apply itar and not perfumes. 

-------------
It is better to be alone than to be in bad company.

Posted By: Colin
Date Posted: 18 April 2006 at 1:19am
Originally posted by salman salman wrote:

danty, let me tell you that perfumes and scents are alcoholic in nature. use of alcohol is haram in islam.

So you've been warned boys and girls....no sipping the aftershave....

Date Posted: 18 April 2006 at 1:40am
Originally posted by Colin Colin wrote:

danty, let me tell you that perfumes and scents�are alcoholic in nature.�use of alcohol is haram in islam.

Just to let you know, I have a stock of "scope" under my bed. Anyone wants it ?

hmmm scope? is minty

Date Posted: 18 April 2006 at 1:42am
Originally posted by Colin Colin wrote:

danty, let me tell you that perfumes and scents�are alcoholic in nature.�use of alcohol is haram in islam.

Alcohol can be used as a medecine.

Posted By: Colin
Date Posted: 18 April 2006 at 1:46am

WARNING: aftershave can become an Obsession...

...Just ask Calvin Klein...

Posted By: superme
Date Posted: 18 April 2006 at 2:27am

If I new this famous name, oh girl if iknew it. A woman at work asked me about my newly bought perfume which she smelt it deeply over and over, where I bought it? If I knew this OUD name, and than I told her that name, I don't think she would know it. I told her that I bought it for $2.29 at the reject shop, smell very good with at least one woman fan.

Oh btw I am barely new too in here, just like you. You must be a girl I assume by the way you look, there are few beautiful women too in here you know. Can you tell us a bit about yourself? I am all ears.

Posted By: on_the_sunnah
Date Posted: 18 April 2006 at 5:53am
But there surely must be a difference between OUD and regular perfume.  Oud is a thick, weird smelling oil.  They say it's very spiritual, and lots of Muslims use it.  It is alcohol-free.        

Date Posted: 18 April 2006 at 6:08am
Salman ,

Cool yourself down and splash some aftershave on. Yes, we cannot drink alcohol. Do you know that several things contain alcohol. So, when you are in a hospital, and you get hurt, you want them to clean you with soda?
Salman, go ask a scholar about cologne. They will tell you what you need to know about perfume. Or better yet, have a reality check and smell yourself. Don't forget that our Prophet(PBUH) wanted us to be clean and smell good. Don't make things forbidden that are halal! Smelling good is a priority in my life in a halal way. Did you know that aftershave, cleaning agents, lotions, deodrant and many things in our life contain alcohol. Also, if you buy a good brand cologne they don't have a lot of alcohol in them. Lastly, you didn't read my post carefully. I hope you understand that what you said is WRONG. Deal with it brother!

Posted By: Oudyss�e
Date Posted: 25 April 2014 at 8:59am
As salam alaykoum,

You can find pure oud oil and oud chips at a good price here:
http://www.oudyssee.com/en/shop-2/

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net