Print Page | Close Window

halal meat

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Religion - Islam
Forum Name: General Islamic Matter
Forum Description: Discuss Islamic matters/issues that not covered by other sub catagories
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4372
Printed Date: 19 April 2024 at 11:18pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: halal meat
Posted By: mohamedanis
Subject: halal meat
Date Posted: 12 April 2006 at 3:21pm

I live in the state , i got used to buying meat from super market and eating outside (mc donald and other fast food ). is it ok to eat that as long as you say bissmillah before , or is it haram to eat meat if it`s not from a muslim store .

-------------
allahou akbar , allahou akbar

Replies:
Posted By: BrutalHonesty
Date Posted: 12 April 2006 at 8:28pm
haram since halal is available and it will not kill you to be without meat.

Posted By: salman
Date Posted: 13 April 2006 at 5:12am
it is haram to eat meat from a non muslim store

-------------
It is better to be alone than to be in bad company.

Posted By: ak_m_f
Date Posted: 13 April 2006 at 8:59am
Originally posted by salman salman wrote:

what if the non-muslim store sells halah meat?

because I get my meat from non-muslim store, but its halal

Date Posted: 13 April 2006 at 9:08am
In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,

Consuming unlawful (haram) meat becomes permissible only when one�s life is threatened in that one fears death. As such, consuming Haram meat will remain unlawful even in countries where Halal meat is not easily available.

Allah Most High says:

He (Allah) has only forbidden upon you dead meat, and blood, and the flesh of swine, and that on which any other name has been invoked besides that of Allah. But if one is forced by necessity, without willful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits, then he is guiltless. For Allah is Oft-forgiving Most Merciful.� (Surah al-Baqarah, 173)

Therefore, it will not be sufficient to merely pronounce the name of Allah on the meat and then consume it; rather, all the necessary conditions for a valid slaughter must be fulfilled, even in countries such as Brazil.

If one is unable to obtain Halal meat, then one will have to do with fish, vegetables and other types of Halal food.

And Allah knows best

Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari
Darul Iftaa, Leicester, UK

you may find this helpful

http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3643&KW=halal+meat+ - click here

Posted By: Danty
Date Posted: 14 April 2006 at 6:58am
Dear brother or sister,

In my opinion, you cannot say that it is haram to eat outside or buy meat from supermarket. The reason why I say this is because, It says that we can eat the meat of the people of the book. Why should we restrict what is not forbidden? It says that we should not eat the meat that is strangled or meat that was killed by another animal. But if you say Bismiallah, I am sure it is fine. If halal meat is available, support your brother or sister and buy from them.If not, it is not haram for you to go to the store and buy what you like, as long as it is not pork. It is up to you. Allah knows best. Sincerely, your sister in Islam.

Posted By: Meryem
Date Posted: 14 April 2006 at 7:20am

salam,

the prophet PBU said that it is ok , if a person is in a hard situation or if he has not a choice , it is ok for him to say bissmillah and start eating with the right hand

allah knows,,

-------------
assalam alaikum

Date Posted: 14 April 2006 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Meryem Meryem wrote:

salam,

the prophet PBU said that it is ok , if a person is in a hard situation or if he has not a choice , it is ok for him to say bissmillah and start eating with the right hand

allah knows,,

then I guess we all are stupid here in Canada. Iam going to KFC to get me a big bucket !

Posted By: mariyah
Date Posted: 15 April 2006 at 12:13am
Originally posted by Meryem Meryem wrote:

salam,

allah knows,,

So what is a left handed person like myself supposed to do?

-------------
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.

Posted By: MunirG
Date Posted: 15 April 2006 at 2:03pm

when we buy meat from chain grocery store. how do we know that it is slaughter accordingly to islamic teaching. for all we know that the chicken could have been hung or choked. and the cattle shot to death. thats what i have experience when i visited slaughter houses.

so when you do buy meat i highly recomend buying meat from your local halal store.

chain grocery store you just dont know.

-------------
we continue to get and forget. while allah continue to give and forgive.

Posted By: MunirG
Date Posted: 15 April 2006 at 2:20pm

maryah im also left handed. i use my left hand for everthing: writing, playing sport shoot left handed playing basketball,everyday stuff. but for some reason when it comes to eating using my right hand is natural for me, using spoon, fork, chopsticks and eating with my fingers. when i would try to swith my fork to my left hand or chopstick i literally feel like a toddler learning how to use the utensil on my left hand..in no way am i ambidextrous. just the fact that i was probably brought up learning it that way. and the fact that my left hand would be use to clean myself, there is no way im gonna use the same hand to eat and clean.

-------------
we continue to get and forget. while allah continue to give and forgive.

Date Posted: 16 April 2006 at 3:51am

Originally posted by ak_m_f ak_m_f wrote:

what if the non-muslim store sells halah meat?

because I get my meat from non-muslim store, but its halal

meat from non-muslim store cannot be halal.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 April 2006 at 9:09am

what if the non-muslim store sells halah meat? because I get my meat from non-muslim store, but its halal

In north America they sell meats that are already packaged, they have halal seal on it.

Posted By: Suleyman
Date Posted: 16 April 2006 at 9:57am

As Sallamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,

The helal meat issue is so much important for the muslims in America,i think the administration of islamicity should make a list including a map where can halal meat be found,all muslims and i will be appreciate for the efforts being touch on this issue,also this project may provide a support for the sellers who are trying to serve halal meat in the stores beside their limited sources...ok...the mission waits us...more voices please, what can be done?????

Posted By: ummziba
Date Posted: 16 April 2006 at 12:35pm

Assalam alaikum,

Sometimes it is a matter of good communication.  In our town are only 6 Muslim families.  When one sister noticed a local grocery store selling halal hot dogs, she and her husband approched the store manager and thanked him and let him know that our small community would be interested in buying any halal products he could get in his store.  Now, we have all sorts of halal meat that are brought in in small quantities that suit our needs. 

Good communication + showing appreciation = halal meat in a place you would never normally get it!

Peace, ummziba.

-------------
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~

Date Posted: 16 April 2006 at 12:39pm

Good example what Sister Ummziba did,let us all do;Jazak Allah Khair....

Date Posted: 16 April 2006 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by ummziba ummziba wrote:

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>Assalam alaikum,

<FONT face=Arial size=2>Sometimes it is a matter of good communication.� In our town are only 6 Muslim families.� When one sister noticed a local grocery store selling halal hot dogs, she and her husband approched the store manager and thanked him and let him know that our small community would be interested in buying any halal products he could get in his store.� Now, we have all sorts of halal meat that are brought in in small quantities that suit our needs.�

<FONT face=Arial size=2>Good communication + showing appreciation = halal meat in a place you would never normally get it!

<FONT face=Arial size=2>Peace, ummziba.

what town u live in?

Date Posted: 16 April 2006 at 12:47pm
Come on!!!,rebel to the World,repeat after me-WE WANT, WE WANT, WE WANT-HALAL MEAT!!!...STAND UP EVERYBODY!!!....

Date Posted: 16 April 2006 at 12:51pm

what town u live in?

In a backwater town at the edge of no where in a galaxy far, far away....but at least we have accomodating store keepers!

Peace, ummziba.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 April 2006 at 2:06pm

what town u live in?

In a backwater town at the edge of no where in a galaxy far, far away....but at least we have accomodating store keepers!

<FONT face=Arial>Peace, ummziba.

dont worry I canta track you, I am not stalker

Date Posted: 16 April 2006 at 2:16pm

Assalamu alaikum,

I am not worried, Brother ak_m_f, just following my husband's rules .  He pays for my internet so I must do as he says....

Peace, ummziba.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 April 2006 at 5:04am

what if the non-muslim store sells halah meat? because I get my meat from non-muslim store, but its halal

In north America they sell meats that are already packaged, they have halal seal on it.

just by having a halal seal on it, you cannot say that the meat is halal.

ak, i suggest that you start eating halal meat from muslim store (if Allah wills)

-------------

Date Posted: 17 April 2006 at 6:21am

just by having a halal seal on it, you cannot say that the meat is halal.

ak, i suggest that you start eating halal meat from muslim store (if Allah wills)

They dont do fraud here, Or else I can sue them and never work again!.

Of course I also get my meat from muslim stores too.
and I also eat outside (restraunts, ofcourse halal ones)

Date Posted: 17 April 2006 at 6:23am

Assalamu alaikum,

am not worried, Brother ak_m_f, just following my husband's rules .� He pays for my internet so I must do as he says

ok makes sense, btw I live in toronto.

Posted By: Jenni
Date Posted: 17 April 2006 at 5:47pm
I really like the kosher chicken sold by trader joes, if you are lucky enough to have one nearby. There is kosher and kosher organic, it is nicer than ANY chicken I have bought from the halal stores. I buy the goat at a halal market and it is really nice, and also some beef. But far and away the best beef is grass fed naturally raised and as yet the halal markets have not yet caught on. It is cleaner, healthier, tastier ect. So I buy that from a health food store and it is not halal, however I know it lived on a clean farm and ate grass the way ALLAH Pak intended cattle to feed. So I think it is more halal than a dirty animal that ate animal byproducts mixed with its own feces and was simply slaughtered the halal way in the end. Peace

-------------
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.

Posted By: DigitalStorm82
Date Posted: 17 April 2006 at 8:13pm
Asalamu Alaikum

There is a difference between halaal food, and zubiah food.  Zubiah is the slaughtering of the animal with islamic principles...

Halal meat includes the ahl al-kitab... meaning the meat of the jews and christians.

It is prefered that you eat zubiah food if you can get your hands on it.  But many sheikhs have issued fatwas allowing people living in non-muslim countries to eat meat of the people of the scriptures.

-------------
Ma'Salama,
Hamid

Posted By: Saad_Aamir
Date Posted: 18 May 2008 at 8:13am
Asalam-o-alikum

i am only 13 year old but i saw some videos about people harming animal badly before they are killed and send to store or killed to be cooked like e.g KFC ,gives some drugs to chicken to make them not grow feathers and beaks and they are in alot of pain so eating such meat is halal or haram?

and does in any muslim country will they sell the same meat as KFC of america .

Thank u for reading

Posted By: Chrysalis
Date Posted: 05 June 2008 at 1:41pm
First of all . . .it is NOT haram to eat meat bought at a non-muslim store. Do not propogate misinformation pl. UNLESS you KNOW that the meat is not Zabihah, i.e halal. There are many non-muslim stores that keep and sell Halal and Zabihah (Or Kosher) meat for thier Muslim/Jewish customers. Im not saying that u assume every nonmuslim store has halal meat. . .

Secondly, the McDonalds etc in USA do NOT serve Halal meat. So please refrain from eating meat there (which btw includes chicken. Some muslims think that only beef is considered halal/nonhalal) You have several options of non-meat dishes like Fillet-O-Fish, Veggie Burgers and what not. Just like someone mentioned here, not having a Big Mac will not kill you :p Unless ofcourse your resturaunt states, claims or says they have Halal.

There are basically 2 conditions for Halal meat, it needs to be slaughtered (i.e blood needs to flow out of animal) and the Kalima has to be pronounced (amongst other things, i.e money should be of halal means as well etc etc)

Someone mentioned that it is okay to eat the meat served by People Of the Book . . . would like to clarify furthur . . .  The verse was targetting the notion that ppl used to have that non-muslims were unclean etc and so thier food was not permissable. (and is reffering to Kosher probably) The verse is referring that it is perfectly fine to dine with people of the book  and eat thier food with them, even if it be in the same plate. As far as the meat is considered . .  .it is permissable to eat thier meat AS LONG AS IT IS ZABIHAH. (i.e as long as the animal was slaughtered and blood flowed out, becuase blood is unclean to ingest, and a haven for germs/bacteria)

If however, it is clear knowledge that the animal was not slaughetered, and was merely choked,suffocated etc to death then the meat is HARAM. The safest option would be to eat Kosher meat . .  i.e by the Jews. Because Jews also slaughter thier meat and have a proper slaughtering process for that. Kosher Meat is considered a second option. I.e if you do not have access to Halal Meat, you can have Kosher . . .eat it after pronouncing Allah's name. (bismillah) However . .  . better only to have it if u've been without Halal meat for long.

So to break it down.

1. If you dont find Halal meat . . . opt for vegetarian, or Fish or other seafood. If you have an alternative of Kosher (bcz it fulfills the slaughtering criteria, just not the kalima one), you can have that as well, after pronouncing Kalima.

2. Just pronouncing bismillah on ANY non-halal food does NOT make it halal and okay to eat. Especially since there are SO MANY options available to us.

3. If you are stranded, and reeeally hungry and do not have or will not have access to EITHER Kosher or Halal for sometime. Also, u do not have the option of fish, veggies, etc etc and ONLY meat is available. Then you can go ahead and have non-halal meat (but enough to pull u through). Non-Halal meat is preferable in such instances to Pork.

4. If all other options have failed, and u are trapped in a broom-closet for days on end without food and only Pork to eat. Then subhanallah, you can have Pork as well. but enough to help u survive. The reason I put that as a Joke is bcz unless we are going someplace isolated . . . we ALWAYS have alternatives to non-halal. In todays day and age. . . .

Date Posted: 05 June 2008 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Jenni Jenni wrote:

I really like the kosher chicken sold by trader joes, if you are lucky enough to have one nearby. There is kosher and kosher organic, it is nicer than ANY chicken I have bought from the halal stores. I buy the goat at a halal market and it is really nice, and also some beef. But far and away the best beef is grass fed naturally raised and as yet the halal markets have not yet caught on. It is cleaner, healthier, tastier ect. So I buy that from a health food store and it is not halal, however I know it lived on a clean farm and ate grass the way ALLAH Pak intended cattle to feed. So I think it is more halal than a dirty animal that ate animal byproducts mixed with its own feces and was simply slaughtered the halal way in the end. Peace

I apologize in advance if I offend you, but I had to say something just so other ppl out there dont assume that wht u mentioned was islamic.

If you have an option of Halal Chicken and Beef etc, then Islamically speaking, THAT is what should be the Muslim's preference. And in that case, eating Kosher for the heck of it, just bcz it is organic or free-range or 'tastes better' is NOT halal i.e permissible.

Perhaps the Halal Market will catch on to the Free-Range, Organic fad if ppl WRITE to them or inform them of thier choice/preference. In todays day and age, consumers rule the market. Make your preference HEARD. If the Halal  supplier does not know that Muslim consumers want organic/free-ranfe options how will he supply it?

Saying that its ok to eat non-halal Free-Range just because the cow lived a life Allah intended it to is wrong. You have an option . . .go for Halal. Allah also intended for us Muslims to eat Halal i.e Zabihah food and He expects us to respect that. I agree with you on the Vulgar-Inhumane and Unsanitory conditions of many meat-packing/slaughter houses. If that repels you . . . dont buy beef fullstop. Its not healthy anyway. . . we all know that. Poultry and Fish is much much healthier. You mention u opt for free-range non-halal bcz of the healthy factor, so dont buy beef.

I'm not condemning you for buying non-halal . . .thats your personal preference, and I would not even have spoken unless you had posted in the midst of a halal vs non-halal discussion, since it seems you're justifying your choice Islamically. Again, I apologize for any disrespect.

Regards,

Date Posted: 05 June 2008 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Saad_Aamir Saad_Aamir wrote:

Asalam-o-alikum

i am only 13 year old but i saw some videos about people harming animal badly before they are killed and send to store or killed to be cooked like e.g KFC ,gives some drugs to chicken to make them not grow feathers and beaks and they are in alot of pain so eating such meat is halal or haram?

and does in any muslim country will they sell the same meat as KFC of america .

Thank u for reading

Hi there. The meat used in most Fast Food chains in Muslim countries is Halal. That is a prerquisite for them operating. HOWEVER, there are so called 'Muslim' countries which have non-halal as well e.g Turkey etc. So you need to know which Country it is ur talking abt.

MOST muslim countries , Pakistan, UAE, Egypt, Malaysia etc all have Halal foodchains.

Thier meat either comes from local halal suppliers or is sometimes imported from Halal Slaughter-House/Suppliers in places like South Africa for example. The responsible thing to do, is simply to ask.

In SOME countries, Malaysia and Turkey for example . . . Pork, Non-Halal, Alchohol are legal due to the presence of non-muslim locals. In that case, one should look for the Halal label . . .or simply ask. If a store serves Pork . . . its safe to say its Non-Halal since they may be using the same utensils for cooking and may contaminate. Alcohol however is a debatable issue. Some say its ok to eat in a resturaunt serving alchohol, but halal meat. Others say its better to stay away on principle. Depends on person's taqwa and what point of view they take.

As for your question about the drugs and artificial feed for Chickens. . . I agree with u there ..its awful. Technically, it goes Islamic injunctions. . .bcz Chickens shd not be fed Feed that includes blood and dead-remains of other chickens, niether should they be kept in unsanitory, cruel conditions. That is Animal Cruelty - hence unislamic. . . UNFORTUNATLEY this is practised ALL over the world. Including Muslim countries. . . ideally we should not be eating that . . . but its impossible to escape it. Bcz unless ur willing to live without chicken for the rest of ur life, u hav to eat, cz no other option. Unfort, free-range and organic has yet to catch up in many muslim states bcz unfort we're turning to the western meat-producing ways.

The only way to avoid that is make our voices heard to the govt, or buy halal organic/free-range if ur country has that option.

Posted By: Saad_Aamir
Date Posted: 06 June 2008 at 10:35pm
Thank you my brother,thank you very much indeed i am now know that what i think it rite in my religious and again thank you.Big%20smile

Posted By: mariacanadiana
Date Posted: 18 December 2008 at 6:18am

you live in toronto! you are so lucky, you have no excuse to not eat halal, its everywhere!

in novascotia we have 1 halal groceryshop and 1 halal restaurant, both in Halifax. I miss pizza! When I go to TO the first thing I do is hit the halal pizza joints :) mmmmm.....pizzaaaaaaaaa

Posted By: alabama2010
Date Posted: 09 September 2010 at 6:56pm
I really prefer kosher chicken at kosher new york if you are lucky enough to have one nearby. It is kosher and kosher organic chicken is better than any in the shops that I bought from the halal stores. :D

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net