Forum Description: General Discussion
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3699
Printed Date: 01 June 2024 at 2:16am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Proud day for 7 July bomb heroes
Posted By: Ketchup
Subject: Proud day for 7 July bomb heroes
Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 12:04am

Respect were it is due.... animals attacked our people to make a point.. these people and others here risked thier lives to save others.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4716874.stm - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4716874.stm

Last Updated: Wednesday, 15 February 2006, 17:57 GMT
Proud day for 7 July bomb heroes
By Claire Heald
BBC News

Peterkin family at Buckingham Palace
Emergency workers' families joined them at the Palace
Twenty people who helped in the aftermath of the 7 July London suicide bombings have received their awards from the Queen at Buckingham Palace.

Tube and bus, hospital and police staff told the BBC News website about their role on the day and their feelings on collecting their awards.

INSP STEPHEN MINGAY MBE, BRITISH TRANSPORT POLICE

Inspector Stephen Mingay was the first police officer to reach the bombed tube train on the Piccadilly Line. He felt the bomb go off as he stood at the top of the escalator and went to the scene.

He raised the alarm, evacuated passengers and went to the first carriage, where the bomb went off, to help the seriously injured.

Inspector Stephen Mingay
Survivors remember Insp Mingay's voice in the dark tube train

"I knew when I got on the train that there could have been secondary devices, " he says. "I knew there was a risk of it being chemical, biological radiation or nuclear.

"If it had been one of those scenarios, I was probably already contaminated, the best thing I could do was give information to others that were going to have to go down."

He is modest about how brave he was: "Or stupid. It's what the training is there for. I had a job to do, a function to perform, I had to do those things."

But it was his words: "Ladies and gentleman, I am a police officer," when he first entered the carriage, that calmed those who he evacuated and let them know someone had come to help.

"That's what they say they remember," he smiles. "In situations like that people are looking for someone to take control. Everyone cooperated, without the cooperation, I couldn't have evacuated them as quickly and efficiently.

Receiving his honour from the Queen was "nerve-wracking" but she was "wonderful", he added.

JOHN BOYLE MBE, LONDON UNDERGROUND

Tube driver John Boyle was taking a detour through Aldgate on his way to work when the Circle Line train bomb went off.

As a former station inspector who knew "every nook and cranny" of the line at Aldgate, he believes it was fate that put him there, to guide shocked passengers out along the track.

John Boyle
John Boyle says fate put him at Aldgate station that day

Despite witnessing the grim bomb scene, he helped people walk down the track to safety at Aldgate and went on to evacuate another train stuck at Aldgate East.

At the palace, he said: "I thought I'd never get that close to the Queen in my lifetime. Twice in one day, that's unbelievable.

"She's obviously done her homework because she knew I was off-duty on the day. She said I was very courageous."

PC DEBORAH RUSSELL-FENWICK MBE, BTP

Constable Deborah Russell-Fenwick ran to the scene of the Tavistock Square bus bomb from Tottenham Court Road station, where she was on duty.

Deborah Russell-Fenwick
PC Russell-Fenwick ran to help at Tavistock Square

She was the first police officer on the scene and tried to get to a man trapped in the bus wreckage, but could not because of the way it had been damaged. She does not know what happened to him.

"I just started assessing people that were injured, on the ground."

The Queen asked her how long she had been in the police. "Twenty-five years. But nothing prepares you for that," she says.

TIM WADE MBE, LONDON UNDERGROUND

Line manager Tim Wade was also on his way to work on the Tube when the Kings Cross bomb went off. For two hours evacuated passengers and then helped those in the "mayhem" of the first train carriage.

Tim Wade and grandfather Ray
Tim Wade was proud to bring his family to the palace

He brought his parents and his "terrifically proud" 89-year-old grandfather Ray to the palace to witness him receive his MBE.

Mr Wade paid tribute to colleagues who have been too traumatised by what they saw to return to work yet.

"I'm proud I'm here today. We've all said we are here to represent colleagues who weren't so fortunate."

JULIE DENT CBE, SW LONDON STRATEGIC HEALTH AUTHORITY

As staff put their emergency training into practice at the attack scenes, Julie Dent was heading to a control centre to co-ordinate the capital's health service response.

Julie Dent
Julie Dent says she concentrated on being professional

She oversaw the operation that treated 750 walking wounded hurt in the attacks and 100 admitted to hospital.

Staff, she says, had to put the human aspect aside have professional detachment to deal with the situation. Some of those who had loved-ones in the four blast areas but could not contact them found it hard.

"I wasn't emotional until a week later when we had a service a week later at the London Ambulance Service. We had prayers and people cheered the service.

"That was it. It's a long time later that it catches up with you."

JULIA PETERKIN MBE, ROYAL LONDON HOSPITAL

Julia Peterkin was the senior sister in charge on the Intensive Care Unit at The Royal London Hospital when her bleep alarm went off to notify her of the incoming wounded.

The hospital took the most patients from the bombings. It treated 208 in Accident and Emergency and 27 of the most seriously injured were admitted.

Julia Peterkin
Julia Peterkin has high praise for her team at Royal London Hospital

In ICU, Julia led the team who cared for seven patients with blast injuries including amputations and shrapnel.

"The team was outstanding," she says. "They just rallied and made my job incredibly easy. Everyone was calm and got on with what they were asked to do in an efficient manner.

"Psychologically, you can have all the plans in place, but for the staff to see that level of injury on so many people at once... but they carried on regardless to do the best job they could, and for days afterwards. "

ALAN DELL MBE, LONDON BUSES

Alan Dell says it was the experience of his team at the London Buses control room that ensured a professional response following the bomb blast on a bus at Tavistock Square.

Alan Dell
Alan Dell's team took the call to say bus had been bombed

He was there when news came through from another bus driver that it had blown up and co-ordinated getting people out of central London amid the disruption that followed.

Looking around at his emergency service colleagues, he said it was nice to be at the palace "but it brings back some bad memories".

"On the day you deal with the event, you don't realise what you have been dealing with until afterwards. There's a lot of people who aren't lucky enough to be standing here today."

PETER SANDERS MBE, LONDON UNDERGROUND

Instinct, says group station manager Peter Sanders, told him the incident was more than a power surge as he stood at Kings Cross when the bomb went off.

Peter Sanders
Peter Sanders organised the response at Kings Cross

It was his job to co-ordinate the response - including the passenger evacuation and getting first-aiders down onto the Piccadilly Line train.

He said: "The escalators had stopped. We went down and saw people coming out with their skin blackened and clothes missing. It was quite horrific."

He praised his team but says it was hard for some of them to come back to work after dealing with the blast.

"The team was excellent, I can't praise them enough, they did so well on the day," he said.

Replies:
Posted By: Whisper
Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 12:59am

Poor slippery slimy Ketchup! Try her / his best bit for the Queen and the country.

The Basra video should lay to rest a scurrilous lie

The smug superiority of the British over their peacekeeping efforts in Iraq is an insult to those of us who live there
Jasem al-Aqrab
Thursday February 16, 2006
http://www.guardian.co.uk/ - The Guardian

Since April 2003, the people of Basra have consistently been bemused by reports that they and their city enjoy a state of calm and stability under the command of the British forces, in contrast to the north of Iraq and the so-called Sunni triangle. As someone born and bred in Basra, I hope that the recent images of British troops beating young Basra boys to within an inch of their lives will allow such claims to be laid to rest and show a fraction of the reality that has made life throughout Iraq a living hell.

When the Abu Ghraib scandal broke a couple of years ago, I recall a commentator on the BBC World Service smugly saying that the Americans were heavy-handed and undisciplined when it came to dealing with civilians, while the British were far more restrained, touring Basra in their berets as peacekeepers rather than occupiers. My estimation of the BBC World Service dipped when the other side of the picture was not presented.

The truth is that ever since the fall of Saddam Hussein's tyrannical regime, abuses and atrocities committed against Iraqi civilians have been a regular, at times daily, occurrence throughout the country, including in Basra. These have been committed by American, British and Iraqi official forces. Hearing the British prime minister describe this latest incident as an isolated case fills me and fellow Iraqis with anger.

It adds insult to very serious injury when we are told that this humiliation, torture and violence is the work of a few "bad apples". From previous experience, the most we can look forward to is a whitewash inquiry and possibly a young, low-ranking soldier being made a scapegoat.

As a strong believer in the need for Iraqis to use the political process to bring about change, it is not difficult to see how innocent youngsters are radicalised and why they turn to widely available arms. Those who were beaten mercilessly while being mocked by the film-maker for their pain and humiliation will never listen to me or my colleagues when we try to win them over to peaceful ways of venting their anger and frustration. Their families, loved ones, friends and even those who see the horrific images on TV will be ever more convinced that such degradation can only be met with fire and force.

The allegation that insurgents have flooded into Iraq from neighbouring Syria and Iran may hold some truth, but the flooding I fear is the daily recruitment of insurgents by the brutal, inhumane and tyrannical treatment that young Iraqis experience every day at the hands of occupation forces, as well as the Iraqi government forces they support.

Although I and numerous members of my family suffered personally, physically and otherwise at the hands of the Saddam Hussein regime, and dreamed for many years of the day he would be gone, I always opposed the invasion and occupation of our country. Subsequent events have made me even more convinced of the fallacy and immorality of the military campaign that Britain and the US have pursued in Iraq. The biggest indictment of the war and occupation is surely that more and more Iraqis are speaking publicly of how life was far better when Saddam was in power - an achievement most Iraqis never imagined possible.

Tony Blair's suggestion that British forces are in Iraq to educate Iraqis in democracy has only added salt to our bleeding wounds. This rhetoric harks back to imperial times when Britain was a colonial power and treated my forefathers, as well as many other peoples in the world, as backward savages. It hurts me that despite Mr Blair's first-class education, he seems to have learned so little. Until recently, Britain was admired and respected by Iraqis. The few who had the chance to visit or study in the UK were looked upon with envy. The past three years have seen to it that that respect has been obliterated.

Iraqis have suffered immensely over recent years, first from the west's support for a despotic dictatorship, then from 13 years of sanctions that ravaged the country, and finally from a war and occupation that reduced a once-affluent country and its highly-educated people to rubble and dust.

It saddens me that Britain has had a significant hand in every episode that has heaped misery on Iraqis. At a time when a brief apology and admission of fault by the prime minister would have gone a long way towards reconciliation between our peoples, he has chosen to widen the gap still further. I suggest that next time Britain hears of a fallen British soldier in Iraq, Mr Blair should be asked about his role in that tragedy.

I share with the majority of Iraqis the belief that the only way forward is the immediate departure of American and British troops from our country. The suggestion that this would make matters worse is at best laughable and at worst a scurrilous lie. Matters cannot get any worse, and they only became this bad because of the decision by American and British leaders to wage war against a people who were already suffering.

I have no doubt that I will see my country truly free and liberated from tyranny and occupation. I pray that this happens without the further spilling of blood - Iraqi, American or British.

Dr Jasem al-Aqrab is head of organisation for the Iraqi Islamic party in Basra

Posted By: Colin
Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 2:25am
Originally posted by Whisper Whisper wrote:

Poor slippery slimy Ketchup! Try her / his best bit for the Queen and the country.

Careful Ketchup, you know Whisper has deep-rooted psychological issues with Britain. He finds it almost impossible to say anything possitive about the country. He's the type who spends half his time sl*gging off the west and the other half moaning about how badly Muslims are portrayed by the west.  In other words, he's guilty of doing the very same thing that he accuses the west of doing.

Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 2:49am
Originally posted by Colin Colin wrote:

Careful Ketchup, you know Whisper has deep-rooted psychological issues with Britain. He finds it almost impossible to say anything possitive about the country. He's the type who spends half his time sl*gging off the west and the other half moaning about how badly Muslims are portrayed by the west.  In other words, he's guilty of doing the very same thing that he accuses the west of doing.

While at the same time putting muslims in a bad light..  what sort of message does this kind of attitude send out to the rest of the world?  Not a good one.  No one here argues that his "ideals" are flawed or littered with hate.. I don't know if that is because it is a westerner pointing it out or because you all agree with him..  silence speaks volumes.

Whisper the point of this post was as a mark of respect.. for those that selflessly at a time of need risked thier lives to help thier fellow man, regardless of creed or gender.  It wasn't just "brits" that were caught up in this.. muslims were needlessly  injured and killed too.

Posted By: ak_m_f
Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 3:07am

I would have done the same.

Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 3:10am

Careful again Ketchup, Whisper seems to have special (Diplomatic?)status here at Islamicity. He appears to be the "bully in residence" for the anti-West brigade. He's allowed a free rein when it comes to bad-mouthing the West. I wonder if the powers that be on this forum often forget that there are Muslims living in the West - who are members of this forum - that might also find his frequent rants insulting? Perhaps because of their silence, they don't find him insulting, who knows?

Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 3:26am
Yes, I can see that...

Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 5:46am

Yaar Colin, I am just against loaded advertising and self promotion in days of exceptionally bad behaviour by the Brits. Is it really bullying to show the world and the Brits their true colours?

Specially with the likes of Ketchup who fail to find anything more aesthetic if not outright human for an avtar. I have never stood for flag-worshippers of any ilk.

For good forty years no "animals" attacked you. Had July 7 been possible without your active contribution in the US killing games?

Just think for a change if you wish to stay in the world now reshaping with brand new power structures instead of basking in the misdeeds of the lost centuries.

Britain is the biggest contributer in Global Terrorism through the partitioning of India, messing Palestine and a horde of other lethal acts. Correct me if you can!

Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 5:57am

Barking up the wrong tree. July 7 was caused by 10 Downing Street.

Funny people. George Gallaway plays a cat and licks some fading actress' palms - the whole country wakes up crying. Though his act is for some charity.

Your Prime Minister kills, maimes hundreds of thousands of people, lays waste a whole region acting as the US poodle and that's okay.

Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 6:10am
Thanks for so eloquently proving my point Whisper.

Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 7:24am
I'd say he did an exceptional job at it too.

-------------
"The days followed one another patiently. Right back at the beginning of the multiverse they had tried all passing at the same time, and it hadn't worked."

Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 8:48am

Originally posted by Ketchup Ketchup wrote:

I'd say he did an exceptional job at it too.

A first rate and absolutely spiffing show old bean.

Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 8:52am

I say old chap, tally ho!

-------------
"The days followed one another patiently. Right back at the beginning of the multiverse they had tried all passing at the same time, and it hadn't worked."

Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 9:43am

If I didn't know Brits and the English language I would have taken your comment to mean something. I wouldn't have known its hollowness. Almost like your politics.

I have political and intellectual issues with Britain. You obviously paint them in colours of yoru own suitability.

Good luck flag worshippers.

Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 9:52am

I have political and intellectual issues with Britain.

I would say your issues are more psychological in nature, hence the constant ranting.

Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 10:22am

I have political and intellectual issues with Britain. You obviously paint them in colours of yoru own suitability.

Red white and blue are the new black

I do suggest you get some anger management. it can't be healthy.

-------------

Posted By: Angel
Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 4:40pm

Red white and blue are the new black

I got those colours to in my flag

-------------
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~

Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 4:51pm

Fashionable isn't it ha ha

-------------

Posted By: Jenni
Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 5:06pm
Aren't you all getting pretty petty here? Let me say one thing blind patriotism and nationalism takes away peoples humanity no matter what nation it is they belong to. Whether you are swiss, kenyan or british. Someone please explain to me why, by just sharing the same geograhpical location with other people they are suddenly more important to you than any other humans on the planet. To me a kid dying in Afghanistan or China is just as sad as one dying a mile from me. A life is a life, period. And I don't care whos flag they live under. Peace

-------------
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.

Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 5:21pm

Originally posted by Jenni Jenni wrote:

Aren't you all getting pretty petty here? Let me say one thing blind patriotism and nationalism takes away peoples humanity no matter what nation it is they belong to. Whether you are swiss, kenyan or british. Someone please explain to me why, by just sharing the same geograhpical location with other people they are suddenly more important to you than any other humans on the planet. To me a kid dying in Afghanistan or China is just as sad as one dying a mile from me. A life is a life, period. And I don't care whos flag they live under. Peace

British humour phases many Americans..  we are taking the piss which is no way, in any in shape or form, related to toilet habits.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 5:47pm

British humour phases many Americans..  we are taking the piss

true  

Someone please explain to me why, by just sharing the same geograhpical location with other people they are suddenly more important to you than any other humans on the planet.

I cannot answer that.

Australia is far from other geographical locations, besides New Zealand

-------------

Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 7:17pm

Aren't you all getting pretty petty here? Let me say one thing blind patriotism and nationalism takes away peoples humanity no matter what nation it is they belong to.

I agree that blind patriotism is a very bad thing, but I don't think anyone here was displaying it. People were just trying to lighten the atmophere caused by a certain individual's blind ranting.

Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 7:46pm

Aren't you all getting pretty petty here? Let me say one thing blind patriotism and nationalism takes away peoples humanity

It's just the saddness of our realities. When we are left with nothing else to hang onto we end up worshipping a flag. And live with the lame excuses of one or the other humour.

Those chaps in Basra, I suppose, were also taking the piss out of the Iraqis. And, so do all our others Brits at football matches across the world - really made Britain very popular specially in Europe!

I had thought that somehow Colin had freed himself of the poor island mentality.

My friend, why should we have any psychological issues with anyone? We have all the world primary resources in our lands? The sun smiles and shines at us? We are not the most overcharged country in the world. Won't mention the law & order thingi at all.

Talking about your political mess is not ranting. Just trying to show you how you could rise out of the mess Britain and her trans-Atlantic English speaking cousins have created in the world., O B L and all the other dirty terrorists are a creation of your messing up with the world - for sheer third rate greed.

Any real contributions to this other than the hyena giggle?

Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 7:51pm

People were just trying to lighten the atmophere caused by a certain individual's blind ranting.

I had genuinely thought at least for a while that you could afford to think, but then perhaps just the bleakness of a Sunset power can be quite painful.

Date Posted: 16 February 2006 at 7:51pm

"""Any real contributions to this other than the hyena giggle?"""

No, I'll leave you to your ranting.

Date Posted: 17 February 2006 at 12:17am
I say old chap, would you care to take a stroll on the front lawn?  Perhap you would care to partake in a fine cup of tea..

-------------

Date Posted: 17 February 2006 at 12:29am

I never knew you would run into such a sad state. I will leave you with your blindfolds. We all need at times like these.

Good luck.

Also to the dim minded BNP flag hugger. 

Date Posted: 17 February 2006 at 12:38am

As a wise man once said...

"You can't trample infidels when you're a tortoise. I mean, all you could do is give them a meaningful look."

-------------

Date Posted: 17 February 2006 at 3:27am
Whisper, don't you have a sense of humour ?

-------------

Posted By: Servetus
Date Posted: 17 February 2006 at 10:08am

Spin off to new topic:

http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3723&PN=1 -  

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net