Print Page | Close Window

plastic surgery/womens only subject

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Culture & Community
Forum Name: Groups : Women (Sisters)
Forum Description: Groups : Women (Sisters)
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3559
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 7:04pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: plastic surgery/womens only subject
Posted By: Jenni
Subject: plastic surgery/womens only subject
Date Posted: 29 January 2006 at 5:16pm

Salaam sisters, I just wanted to get your opinions on some things. Do you think the following things are permissible or not?

1. Breast reduction for one with very large breasts.

2. Breast lift for women that have had breasts drastically changed by pregnancy and breastfeeding.

3. Teeth whitening

4. Braces on the teeth when you are an adult for cosmetic reasons and not for medical reasons.

5. Chemical face peel to give the skin a fresh look and reduce wrinkles.

Thanks for your input!

-------------
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.

Replies:
Posted By: ak_m_f
Date Posted: 29 January 2006 at 5:32pm
Beautification to reshape a deformed part of the body is generally recommended in Islam, as long as it is used for a valid reason. But cosmetic surgery that is done in an attempt to look more beautiful�such as enlarging or reducing the breasts, lifting the face, reducing the size of lips or nose�is not permitted because they alter the Creation of Allah.

In his response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

�If the condition you are referring to is considered a deformity or an abnormality that causes emotional and psychological suffering, then you are allowed to undergo surgery to remove or improve it. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) did allow some of his companions to undergo certain procedures to repair nose and teeth.

But it must be pointed out, however, that in Islam we are not allowed to undergo such procedures simply for cosmetic purposes alone, for to do so would be akin to tampering or interfering with the creation of Allah.

So consider carefully whether yours is a deformity. If it is deemed so, then you are allowed to take such steps that are deemed safe so long as they have been recommended by experts in the field and are considered safe.�

Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: www.muslims.ca

Date Posted: 29 January 2006 at 5:36pm
Question of Fatwa: Is it allowed in Islam to have breast implant for women?

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

As regards your question, we�d like to make it clear that Islam basically denounces excess in beautifying oneself to the extent of altering one's physical features as Allah created them. The Glorious Qur'an considers such alterations as inspired by Satan, who � ...will command them (his devotees) to change what Allah has created...� (An-Nisa�: 119).

However, if undergoing such operation is just to address an unusual physical defect or alleviate embarrassment that makes one�s life miserable, this is something permissible under the rule of removing harm. This point is further clarified in the following fatwa issued by Sheikh Muhammad Iqbal Nadvi, Imam of Calgary Mosque, Alberta, Canada, and Former Professor at King Saud University, Riyad, Saudi Arabia:

"This question is too general and the ruling for it can be different from one case to another. What I think of this kind of operation is that it can be done in both cases as follows:

1. A lady can resort to this kind of breast implant for the sole reason of seeking extreme and unnecessary beautification of the body in order to look, as she thinks, more sexually attractive. Actually this kind of beautification is unacceptable in Islam�s perspective. Islam is a religion of moderation and a woman should beautify herself with what Allah, the Almighty, has made lawful and never go to the extreme in this regard.

And I can find support for the prohibition of this extreme beautification in the following Hadith. It is reported in Al-Bukhari that a woman said to the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, "O Messenger of Allah, due to her being infected with measles, my daughter�s hair has fallen out, and I am about to give her in marriage. Shall I add some strands of hair to her hair?" Thereupon the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, replied, "Allah has cursed the Wasilah (a woman who makes wigs and hairpieces) and the Mustawsilah (a woman who wears wigs and hairpieces) (Reported by Al-Bukhari.)"

So the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, did not approve of this kind of beautification though the woman was bald.

2. However, some women might resort to this operation of breast implant due to a considerable slimness or thinness in their breasts that it affects their relationship with their husbands and it might be a reason that their husbands will ignore them or become no longer interested in them. In this case, if we draw an analogy (Qiyas) between the aforementioned case where the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, forbade the lady to use wigs and pieces and this case of breast implant, we will find a difference between the two cases. In the first case, the lady is not married yet and this could be a trick to the new husband, something which is haram in Islam; however in the other case the lady is already married and is seeking this kind of surgery to save her marriage. So, the Qiyas will be Qiyas ma�a al-fariq (analogy with discrepancy).

Thus, the case of woman resorting to breast implant for curing a remarkable slenderness would fall under the category of �Add-Darar yuzaal (harm should be prevented). So, it can be allowed as an exceptional case which should be judged according to the circumstances surrounding it."

Allah Almighty knows best.

Date Posted: 29 January 2006 at 5:55pm
whats with the "women only" in the subject line.

The fatwas that I posted were from male shcolars

Date Posted: 29 January 2006 at 6:25pm
ak-m-f, I said womens only because some men don't take this kind of stuff seriously. I don't think it is to personal or anything as it is a general question.

-------------
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.

Date Posted: 29 January 2006 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Jenni Jenni wrote:

ak-m-f, I said womens only because some men don't take this kind of stuff seriously. I don't think it is to personal or anything as it is a general question.

I c.... so waht do you think of the fatwas?

Date Posted: 29 January 2006 at 8:13pm
I agree with the fatwa. In this case as a married person I think if you are very self consious about something  and it is affecting how you feel with your husband than it is allowed. Many women are unhappy about thier bodies or breasts after having children and this affects the intimacy level. Also having nice teeth that look clean really makes the whole face look brighter and crooked yellow teeth are very noticeable and people stare at them. Peace

-------------

Posted By: Khadija1021
Date Posted: 29 January 2006 at 11:08pm

Assalamu Alaikum

Sisters, I personally have a problem with a woman having breast implants simply to please her husband.  Does this mean that anything a man wants from his wife he should get even if it is haraam otherwise?  I don't think so.  Maybe in some cases the defect is not in the woman's body but in her husband's deen and we should ask him to readjust his deen and leave his wife the way Allah made her.  I say this because the mentality that is being put forth here is no different than the mentality of some non-Muslim men who get their wives to have such surgeries as a means to satisfy their sexual fantasies. 

If a woman is allowed to alter her body, which would be haraam otherwise, to satisfy her husband, where does it stop?  I thought women were supposed to listen to their husbands unless their husbands made demands that were haraam.  At that point, they are not sinning if they do not do as they husbands say since it is always more important to obey Allah above all other...EVEN OUR HUSBANDS!  Also, he cannot take steps to correct her for refusing to do something that Allah says is haraam.

Unlike women how have extremely large breast which can cause them to suffer from serious health problems, women who have small breasts do not risk suffering from any health problems.  Having small breasts is not a deformity.  Maybe we should take a moment to look at the possible consequences of having breast implants?  Will getting them just to satisfy her husband lead her to feel as if she is not good enough the way Allah made her and that the only way she is valued as a wife is through altering herself as a means to satisfy her husbands sexual desires?  What kind of psychological problems may this cause her to suffer from?  Having breast implants is not like getting your ears pierced.  This is a very serious surgery which is painful and has caused some women to suffer from irreversible body damage; some women have even died from having implants.  Will her husband still love her if she is left with irreversible damage to her body due to demanding her to have this surgery?  What if he leaves her because of it?  Who will want to marry her after that? 

We should ask ourselves why Allah gave women breasts in the first place?  Sure they are a part of sexual pleasure but they are primarily for feeding their offspring and having breast implants could affect the woman�s ability to nourish her offspring through her own body.  Maybe some people take this lightly; however, I for one do not.  If the couple is planning on having children, then they should have a concern for their future offspring.  Believe it or not, children also have rights in Islam.  If a woman has breast implants and she is able to breast feed, then there is a risk that her breast could become engorged (which by the way is very common, especially with first time moms).  If this happens, the mom�s life becomes at risk of serious health problems because of the affect engorgement will have on her implants.  Should a woman put her life in danger just so that her husband will be happier sexually?  Should she deny her future offspring what is rightfully theirs in order to make her husband more sexually satisfied?

There is no doubt that a man has a right to divorce his wife if she has some deformity of the sexual reproduction system which either cannot be surgically repaired or she is unwilling to have it surgically repaired if it is possible and it is not life threatening for her to do so.  Likewise, a woman has the right to divorce her husband if he is impotent or if he is unable to make her become pregnant and there is no means to correct the problem or he refuses to do what is possible if it is available for him to do so.  However, it is also possible in either case for the couple to remain together and to agree to either have no children or to adopt children who are in need of a home.  There is nothing in the Qur�an or Hadith which states that a couple must have children in order to be or stay married. 

Something which I find to be grossly overlook by those who give fatwa is that a couple's sexual life is not just about what the husband wants. I get so sick of hearing "If he wants this or if he want that."  Sex is to be satisfying for both partners not just for the pleasure of the husband.  If we are going to make allowances for men who may want their wives' bodies altered for their sexual pleasure, don't we have to make the same allowance for women?  I don't have to say what I am implying but I think we should think of this as well.  How many men do you think would feel great about the idea of their wives telling them their sexual parts were not good enough and they expected them to have an "enhancement"?  How do you think that would affect him psychologically?  If you think this is different for men than for women, why? 

I read a fatwa once that made me so upset and angry.  A sister who was seriously disturbed by the sexual demands of her husband had written in to ask for help.  She said that her husband desired from her every night something that she detested and that he expected her to do this sexual act with him every night until he fell asleep.  She was simply told that it was his right and she had to continue to do it.  I was shocked.  If I had known that sister, I would have contacted her and told her that she has like rights and she should demand of her husband something when he found detestable and see if he liked it.  When Allah said that women are a tilt unto their husband so he can go to her the way he wants, it was simply a means to say they didn't have to have sex in one position only (i.e., the way the Jews had sex with their wives); it didn't mean he can do anything to her without regards to her own desires.   

I good Muslim husband who obeys Allah and loves his wife will not find fault with the body Allah has given him for his pleasure through her.  He will not made sexual demands of her which are detestable to her or which will cause her harm mentally, physically of spiritually.  Furthermore, a good Muslim husband who obeys Allah and loves his wife will not leave her, abandon her, punish her, or divorce her simply on the grounds that her body doesn�t look like that of a woman in a centerfold.  A good Muslim husband will have married his wife for her deen above all other reasons.  A good Muslim woman will feel the same way about her husband.  She will have married him for the sake of his deen and his ability to guide her and their offspring as the spiritual head of their family.  Otherwise, as the Prophet (pbuh) said, they will be losers.

Ashukru-lillahi Rabbil-Alameen wala- hawla  wala quwata illa billah

ALLAH HAFIZ

Sister Khadija

-------------
Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)

Posted By: rami
Date Posted: 30 January 2006 at 12:16am
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

I agree with the fatwa. In this case as a married person I think if you are very self consious about something  and it is affecting how you feel with your husband than it is allowed. Many women are unhappy about thier bodies or breasts after having children and this affects the intimacy level. Also having nice teeth that look clean really makes the whole face look brighter and crooked yellow teeth are very noticeable and people stare at them. Peace

Jenni i dont know if you noticed it but you have just taken your own opinion as the basis for making something permisable in Islam. The basis for something being allowed is the Quran and Sunnah, simply becouse you see somethings have some benefit in them it does not mean there is no harm. For example Allah says in the Quran in alcohol you will find benefit but the harm outweighs the good, since our perception of harm is limited to what we see as mere humans a muslim relies on Allah and his prophet to tell him what is harfull for him.

There is a legal principle in islam Unless something is scepcificly said to be haram it should be taken as being permisable as stating what is haram and halal is only for allah. so now a muslim has a duty to see if allah has said anything about such matters.

117�They (all those who worship others than Allaah) invoke nothing but female deities besides Him (Allaah), and they invoke nothing but Shaytaan (Satan), a persistent rebel!

118. Allaah cursed him. And he [Shaytaan (Satan)] said: �I will take an appointed portion of your slaves.

119. �Verily, I will mislead them, and surely, I will arouse in them false desires; and certainly, I will order them to slit the ears of cattle, and indeed I will order them to change the nature created by Allaah�

[al-Nisa� 4:117-119]

Is Cosmetic Surgery Allowed?
Answered by Shaykh Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari

Is cosmetic surgery allowed?

In the name of Allah Most Merciful, Most Compassionate,

Mutilation of one�s body has been clearly prohibited in Islam. Allah Almighty mentions in Surah al-Nisa the words of Shaytan, when he said:

�I will mislead them and I will order them to slit the ears of cattle, and to deface the (fair) natural creation of Allah.� (4: 119).

To deface the fair nature created by Allah, both physically and spiritually, is what Shaytan likes and orders to practise.

In a Hadith it is stated:

�Abdullah ibn Mas�ud (Allah be pleased with him) said: �Allah�s curse is on those women who practise tattooing and get themselves tattooed, and those who remove hair from their faces, and those who make space between their teeth artificially to beautify themselves. They are such that they change the nature and features created by Allah. Allah�s Messenger (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) also cursed such women� [Recorded by Imam al-Bukhari and Imam Muslim in their respective Sahih collections]

In view of the above, the Fuqaha have declared that all types of mutilation to one�s body is unlawful (haram) unless when Shari�ah permits to do so, such as: circumcision, trimming the hair from the body, cutting the nails, etc� or that which is considered an adornment for the body, such as: piercing the ears or the nose, etc.

Cosmetic surgery for the purpose of beautifying oneself is also (in the light of the above) impermissible. The body given to us by our creator is a trust (amanah), thus it is unlawful to tamper with it in any way. If one does so, then he will be committing the sin of �changing the nature created by Allah (taghyeer khalq Allah).

However, if there is a genuine need, as in a particular organ of the body is severely deformed, e.g. the nose is damaged or a child is born with six fingers, etc�, then to perform cosmetic surgery will become permissible.

Imam Abu Dawud, Imam Nasa�i and Imam Tirmizi (Allah have mercy on them) relate in their respective Sunan collections, that a Companion (sahabi) by the name of Arfajah ibn Aswad (Allah be pleased with him) had his nose damaged in the battle of kulab. He replaced it first with silver, and then with a nose made of gold, with the order and consent of the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam).

It is stated in al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya:

�If one intends to cut off an extra finger, it will be permissible as long as there is no fear of perishing. (4 /114).

It should be also remarked here, that if cosmetic surgery was carried out due to a genuine reason, then the ablution (wudu) and obligatory bath (ghusl) will be valid by letting the water flow on the surgical area, even though the water does not reach the actual body (See: Radd al-Muhtar, 1/104).

In conclusion, cosmetic and plastic surgery for the purpose of beautifying and adornment is impermissible. However, if there is a genuine need due to something abnormal, then there is a dispensation of permissibility.

And Allah knows best
Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari, UK

[al-Nisa� 4:117-119]

-------------
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.

Posted By: umsami
Date Posted: 30 January 2006 at 6:03am

Assalamu Alaikum:

I would say that all are allowed except the chemical peel and teeth whitening (even though I want teeth whitening :))... but let's remember allowed vs. recommended are two different things.

In America, we are so desensitized to the truly real risks of surgery (any surgery) by all of the makeover shows, Dr. 90210, etc.  Anytime you undergo surgery you risk the very real possibility of dying.  So, knowing that, I would ask myself if having lifted breasts was more important than being there for my kids or whatever. 

I am very blessed to have a husband who is totally against all of that and says that nothing is more beautiful than somebody the way Allah(swt) made them.  He hates it when I wear make-up or dye my hair because he says I'm so much more beautiful without that stuff.

Peace.

Date Posted: 30 January 2006 at 7:43am
Rami-I was agreeing with the fatwa that ak_f_m noted. IT sounded right. If you think it is wrong that tell him not me as it is not my opinion. And in my case I am talking about a woman feeling that she is deformed, as in the case of severely large breasts or that her breasts were ruined after having children. I am not saying she should do it to please her husband or anything else. I was asking a question and someone gave a fatwa that seemed to make sence. I guess that is the Promblem  WITH FATWAS!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 30 January 2006 at 9:22am
The FAtwas were given by a committee of the major scholars headed by Dr. Yusuf Qardawi.

So I turst them more then people here on IC .

Posted By: herjihad
Date Posted: 30 January 2006 at 1:34pm

Bismillah,

Originally posted by Jenni Jenni wrote:

Salaam sisters, I just wanted to get your opinions on some things. Do you think the following things are permissible or not?

1. Breast reduction for one with very large breasts. Only if it is causing pain that won't decrease otherwise.

2. Breast lift for women that have had breasts drastically changed by pregnancy and breastfeeding. No.

3. Teeth whitening Why not?

4. Braces on the teeth when you are an adult for cosmetic reasons and not for medical reasons. Why not?

5. Chemical face peel to give the skin a fresh look and reduce wrinkles. Why not?

Thanks for your input!

Jenni, I believe you asked for our opinions, so these are mine in pink.

Why not the cosmetic surgery?  My personal OPINION is that surgery is a very serious undertaking and people die in surgery or receive unlooked for malformations and it shouldn't be done for cosmetic reasons alone  unless the person is significantly deformed and dysfunctional because of the need for the surgery.

Surgery for having a breast removed from cancer I see differently.  That person has suffered enormously and should weigh the benefits to her of then having cosmetic surgery to add another breast surgery to her plate.

But teeth whitening, braces, et cetera are not life threatening, so why shouldn't the person do that if they feel comfortable with the procedures and don't feel bad about spending that much money on personal appearance.

But isn't it true that if your teeth are crooked that usually your bite is off and you would benefit in many ways by having better aligned teeth?

-------------
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.

Posted By: rami
Date Posted: 30 January 2006 at 5:32pm
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

Jenni i am sorry i somehow missed your opening words, "i agree with the fatwah" it may be due the shortness of the sentence and the fullstop Allahu alam. My reply was to everything else you said with out having seen that line.

i am sorry sister.

-------------
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net