URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=315
Printed Date: 26 April 2024 at 8:28am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Complains about the avatars
Posted By: chastebeauty
Subject: Complains about the avatars
Date Posted: 30 March 2005 at 2:13am

Salam!

I really need to make a personal complain regardin the avatars available, not a general one where the posts turn into a battle Cos I really don't want to make a big deal out of a simple opinion/suggestion that would lead to so many arguements.. A hint (The avatars scare me)

-------------
From Allah we come and to him is our return

Replies:
Posted By: nadir
Date Posted: 30 March 2005 at 10:15am

As-Salaamu Alaikum

Narrated Ibn 'Umar (may Allah be pleased with him): Allah's Messenger (SAW) said, "Those who make pictures will be punished on the Day of Resurrection, and it will be said to them, 'Make alive that which you have created."   [7:835 O.B.]

Narrated Abu Huraira (may Allah be pleased with him): "I heard Allah's Messenger (SAW) saying that Allah said, 'Who would be more unjust than the one who tries to create the like of my creatures? Let them create a grain: let them create a gnat�. In an other quotation it is added: 'let them create a barley." [7:837 O.B.]

translation of the meanings of Sahih Al-Bukhari by Dr Muhammad Muhsin Khan.

I do not want to argue either, rather I wish to ask - Are we Muslim's, or are we innovators?

I agree, most of the avatars are scary, the �one eye� for a start, is a symbol some use to represent the dajjal! If we obeyed Allah�s command, you would not have had to make a complaint, nor would I have needed to write these words!

Wa-Salaam

Posted By: Angel
Date Posted: 30 March 2005 at 7:14pm

haven't looked at them yet

-------------
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~

Date Posted: 31 March 2005 at 5:05pm

Salaam!

Thanks Nadir for acknowledging my fear, well I expected a moderator or administrator contacting me but so far I hear silence.

Seems I would have to open up and add up to what nadir has said may be I would get a response;

First of all the designer got me thinking; what are avatars? Why do we need them on this site?

I never went into details on what avatars are until this minute because all along from my experience like in yahoo avatars I thought they were images you customize, funny, attractive and can express your moods while you chat.

Guess what? Browse for the literal meaning of avatars and find out if it�s necessary on this website.

I would not deny the fact the person that created the avatars did a very tedious job ...but this person must really be in love with the eye and not just two eyes but one eye. Did you notice the number of one eyes' we gat? Dragon eye, Eye, Eye II, Eye storm, Stone fish, Taran, Techno eye, Authubillah!!!!!

I really wonder who approved the pictures. Is this a general website for the promotion of all religions or Islam? They even went ahead fixing a Red Cross symbol I know what it characteristically means but have we thought of the origin? We don�t even have our Islamic symbol (the moon and the star).  Other avatars look just like faces for a horror website e.g. the mask, bone head, Alien helmet, funky fish, white face, stone face etc what�s up with black and white negatives, is that how a basket looks? Did u even see the so called giraffe, horse and bird �it looks likes the intestine of the bird, the bear is not even cute, the butterfly looks like a dragon fly, the praying hands look as if they are erupting from molten magma with fire at the background Subhanallah!!!! I can�t go on and on, please see for yourself. Not even the most unattended websites have such avatars.

This is what I perceive and I am sure others see it in a different way and it�s up to you. I know we were given an option to browse for our choice but atleast the display on the site should be meaningful like fruits, trees, flowers and please not in negatives. It�s a pity I am not creative, but I am sure we can find someone out there that understands and can help If not we rather eliminate the whole avatar thing.

Thank you

Masalaam

-------------

Date Posted: 31 March 2005 at 7:51pm

Is there a gallery of the avatars somewhere, I tried to look yesterday but didn't see anything. I would like to have a look before deciding which one.

I saw the list in edit profile, must admit the titles are strange.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 March 2005 at 10:29pm

Salam,

Angel,

Oh sure one can view the preview of the avatars, right beside the list u viewed, as you click on each avatar the preview appears by the window next to it........Hope you find it.

-------------

Posted By: icforumadmin
Date Posted: 01 April 2005 at 11:10am

Asslamu alaikum chastebeauty,

We agree that the avatar collection are poor, that images was included on the forum software bundle. Insha Allah we will (if possible) remove the bad images and add the better one.

If some of you have a good images please pm the link to administrator or email to mailto:[email protected] - [email protected] . If you could please resize the image to 64x64 pixel before you send it.

Thanks,

-------------
Best Regards & Peace,

Admin

Date Posted: 01 April 2005 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by chastebeauty chastebeauty wrote:

Salaam!

Thanks Nadir for acknowledging my fear, well I expected a moderator or administrator contacting me but so far I hear silence.

Seems I would have to open up and add up to what nadir has said may be I would get a response;

First of all the designer got me thinking; what are avatars? Why do we need them on this site?

I never went into details on what avatars are until this minute because all along from my experience like in yahoo avatars I thought they were images you customize, funny, attractive and can express your moods while you chat.

Guess what? Browse for the literal meaning of avatars and find out if it�s necessary on this website.

I would not deny the fact the person that created the avatars did a very tedious job ...but this person must really be in love with the eye and not just two eyes but one eye. Did you notice the number of one eyes' we gat? Dragon eye, Eye, Eye II, Eye storm, Stone fish, Taran, Techno eye, Authubillah!!!!!

I really wonder who approved the pictures. Is this a general website for the promotion of all religions or Islam? They even went ahead fixing a Red Cross symbol I know what it characteristically means but have we thought of the origin? We don�t even have our Islamic symbol (the moon and the star).  Other avatars look just like faces for a horror website e.g. the mask, bone head, Alien helmet, funky fish, white face, stone face etc what�s up with black and white negatives, is that how a basket looks? Did u even see the so called giraffe, horse and bird �it looks likes the intestine of the bird, the bear is not even cute, the butterfly looks like a dragon fly, the praying hands look as if they are erupting from molten magma with fire at the background Subhanallah!!!! I can�t go on and on, please see for yourself. Not even the most unattended websites have such avatars.

This is what I perceive and I am sure others see it in a different way and it�s up to you. I know we were given an option to browse for our choice but atleast the display on the site should be meaningful like fruits, trees, flowers and please not in negatives. It�s a pity I am not creative, but I am sure we can find someone out there that understands and can help If not we rather eliminate the whole avatar thing.

Thank you

Masalaam

Assalaamu Alaikum

Al-Hamdulilah

Dear Chastebeauty,

I liked your post, Masha Allah

Thanks for the tip on the literal meaning of Avatar, I�d never have guessed!!!

The administrator has certainly been exposed! Your so right Chastebeauty, this is a so called �Islamic website�, and yet the images they have made available, would not �sit out of place� on a demoniacal webpage.

And as for you, administrator, tame excuse, it doesn�t �wash with me�.

Guess this is a lesson for us, �they� are watching (as if we didn�t know that already).

Wasalaam

Nadir

p.s.

�You� do not scare me, however I know �you� are scared of us, that�s why �your� watching. Trying to see how we work, so �you� can manipulate/deceive us. If you think you are clever, come and pick on me, and leave the innocent (Angel & Chastebeauty) alone!!!

Date Posted: 01 April 2005 at 5:26pm

Assalamu alaikum,

We have so limited resources, so w can not address it right away. We have to priorities, during the launching most of our resources concentrated to address technical issue. Insha Allah we will do something, and meanwhile you can use outside pictures though.

-------------
Best Regards & Peace,

Admin

Posted By: abuayisha
Date Posted: 01 April 2005 at 7:27pm

"...and meanwhile you can use outside pictures though."

Yeah, you know - I searched and searched, trying to find something appropriate.  Trying to find something unique - you know, one that would be ME.  After days of looking through nonsense, filth, horrifying images; finally I found one, and guess what? The next day someone else was using MY hard found avatar.  Wow, good thing we can at least have our own login name.

Posted By: semar
Date Posted: 01 April 2005 at 8:10pm

Salam,

Everything in the internet is public, don't be upset if somebody use it.
That you can do, create your passport picture, put your name under it then upload it somewhere then link it in this forum. So somebody will hesitate to use it, they still can use it though if they are really-really stubborn.

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"

Posted By: ummziba
Date Posted: 02 April 2005 at 3:25am

abuayisha,

If you are referring to the peace kangi, I was using it before you were!  If you wish, I'll delete mine.  Let me know.

Peace, ummziba.

-------------
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~

Date Posted: 02 April 2005 at 4:00am
Really, oh well - back to the drawing board.

Date Posted: 02 April 2005 at 8:04am
Originally posted by chastebeauty chastebeauty wrote:

Salam,

Angel,

Oh sure one can view the preview of the avatars, right beside the list u viewed,

talk about being blind as a bat

Quote  as you click on each avatar the preview appears by the window next to it........Hope you find it.

I did, found it

Thank you and I must agree with you a lot of the pics are horrible. Apart from the 2 flowers, the sun over the mountians, the sun over the lake, pyramid and the one you can see, I chose seem to be the best ones

-------------

Posted By: Suleyman
Date Posted: 02 April 2005 at 8:20am
Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

[QUOTE=chastebeauty]

Thank you and I must agree with you a lot of the pics are horrible. Apart from the 2 flowers, the sun over the mountians, the sun over the lake, pyramid and the one you can see, I chose seem to be the best ones

Angel,i apologize;but your pic at your signature is also horrible;it looks like a chick crashed on the highway;where it's connection with an  Angel,i can't see...no offend please 

Date Posted: 03 April 2005 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Administrator Administrator wrote:

Assalamu alaikum,

We have so limited resources, so w can not address it right away. We have to priorities, during the launching most of our resources concentrated to address technical issue. Insha Allah we will do something, and meanwhile you can use outside pictures though.

Wa Alaikum Salaam wa Rahmatullah

My apologies admin, I only wish to try & do the right thing.

I guess it bugged me a bit that you are �overseeing� us, while not actually letting us know anything about yourself. Hence I was wondering if you would be kind enough, to choose a Muslim name (different to your current name), so that at least I might know (a little about) you as a person, rather than just knowing - Administrator.

I am not suggesting changing your username, rather that you choose a name (& post it on this thread) because you identify with it�s meaning, & not just because you like how it sounds.

Insha Allah

Date Posted: 04 April 2005 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Suleyman Suleyman wrote:

[QUOTE=chastebeauty]

Angel,i apologize;but your pic at your signature is also horrible;it looks like a chick crashed on the highway;where it's connection with an  Angel,i can't see...no offend please 

chick crashed on the highway ?? why i thought it was the moon shining on the lake  

-------------

Posted By: Nausheen
Date Posted: 04 April 2005 at 10:38am

Originally posted by Suleyman Suleyman wrote:

[QUOTE=chastebeauty]

chick crashed on the highway ?? why i thought it was the moon shining on the lake  

Probably he is talking about the one near our feet are earthbound....

-------------
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]

Date Posted: 04 April 2005 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by nadir nadir wrote:

I guess it bugged me a bit that you are �overseeing� us, while not actually letting us know anything about yourself. Hence I was wondering if you would be kind enough, to choose a Muslim name (different to your current name), so that at least I might know (a little about) you as a person, rather than just knowing - Administrator.

I am not suggesting changing your username, rather that you choose a name (& post it on this thread) because you identify with it�s meaning, & not just because you like how it sounds.

Assalamu alaikum Nadir,

We use "administrator" because we are a team, not only one person. We don't mean it to hide our identity. Most the time administrator only deal with technical issue. Topic/content issues are managed by moderators. So I think it's not critical to show the administrator's real name, because usually just a simple post and  it's not personal opinion but representing IslamiCity.

Thanks, Jazakallah khair,

Adji

Posted By: Nausheen
Date Posted: 04 April 2005 at 3:01pm

Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

Really, oh well - back to the drawing board.

You did a good job on the drawing board, brother, congratulations!

-------------
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]

Date Posted: 04 April 2005 at 8:16pm

Yeah, thanks Sister.  I went back into the horrors of searching, and alhumdulillah - found something nice.

Date Posted: 14 April 2005 at 11:00am

Asslamu alaikum chastebeauty,

We agree that the avatar collection are poor, that images was included on the forum software bundle. Insha Allah we will (if possible) remove the bad images and add the better one.

If some of you have a good images please pm the link to administrator or email to mailto:[email protected] - [email protected] . If you could please resize the image to 64x64 pixel before you send it.

Thanks,

Assalaamu Alaikum

Administartor

i have sent you an image i would like to use as a visual representation of me, i would appreciate if you could apply it to my settings, as i don't have a clue how to do this myself.

i didn't want to upload the image onto any old place on the internet, hence i tried to use a link directly to this computer, however it didn't work... hmmmm

hope you can help

nadir 

Date Posted: 14 April 2005 at 4:37pm

Assalaamu Alaikum

Administrator

Many thanks, it looks funny all condensed, but i like the fact that it's not plain to see, a bit like getting to know Allah (S.W.T.), if you don't seek, you will not find.

Now i've got the hang of it (i can make them clearer than this), i'll create a few more things for whoever if you want? Insha Allah

nadir

Date Posted: 14 April 2005 at 7:10pm

[QUTOE=NADIR]

Now i've got the hang of it (i can make them clearer than this), i'll create a few more things for whoever if you want? Insha Allah

[QUOTE]

Please do so and email me the images, please make the size 64x64 pixels. However if you have difficulties to resize it, don't worry about that, we will resize it for you.

We also encourage other members to do so, so we will have better collections.

-------------
Best Regards & Peace,

Admin

Date Posted: 15 April 2005 at 9:31am

Salam,

We removed the scarry monster avatars and we added many good avatars. Check it out.

-------------
Best Regards & Peace,

Admin

Posted By: -ArabianKnight-
Date Posted: 15 April 2005 at 10:28am

Salam,

We removed the scarry monster avatars and we added many good avatars. Check it out.

So what you're saying.. is that the web board is girly now?... no more skull and bones?... sad... ..

-------------
THere Is no god, BUT GOD
and Adam was his First Messenger

Date Posted: 15 April 2005 at 11:54am
Originally posted by -ArabianKnight- -ArabianKnight- wrote:

Salam,

So what you're saying.. is that the web board is girly now?... no more skull and bones?... sad... ..

I can sleep better now, since the scary monsters have gone  

-------------

Posted By: Daniel Dworsky
Date Posted: 18 April 2005 at 1:11pm
Totally cool I just knew that Islam had a thing with images too.
Orthodox Judaisim does and conservative jews do but they go ahead
and just feel guilty about not following the ban. Musical instruments
haven't been allowed in prayer or ritual since the destruction of the
second temple.
This explains why y'all are so good at Poetry

...and Music

...and cuisine

We must have peace. Have you ever eaten Jewish Food ? ugh

Originally posted by nadir nadir wrote:

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">As-
Salaamu Alaikum<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-
microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
</SPAN>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY:
Verdana">Narrated Ibn 'Umar (may Allah be
pleased with him): Allah's Messenger (SAW) said, "Those who make
pictures will be punished on the Day of Resurrection, and it will be
said to them, 'Make alive that which you have created."�� [7:835
O.B.><o:p></o:p>
</SPAN>

Verdana">Narrated Abu Huraira (may Allah be
pleased with him): "I heard Allah's Messenger (SAW) saying that Allah
said, 'Who would be more unjust than the one who tries to create the
like of my creatures? Let them create a grain: let them create a gnat�.
In an other quotation it is added: 'let them create a barley." [7:837
O.B.>
</SPAN>

Verdana">translation of the meanings of Sahih Al-
Bukhari by Dr Muhammad Muhsin Khan.
</SPAN>

Verdana">I do not want to argue either, rather I
wish to ask - Are we Muslim's, or are we innovators?<o:p></o:p>[/
COLOR></SPAN>

Verdana">I agree, most of the avatars are scary,
the �one eye� for a start, is a symbol some use to represent the dajjal!
Verdana">If we obeyed Allah�s command, you
would not have had to make a complaint, nor would I have needed to
write these words!
</SPAN>
</SPAN>

Verdana"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR:
black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"><o:p>Wa-Salaam</
o:p>
</SPAN>

</SPAN>

Date Posted: 18 April 2005 at 4:35pm

Assalaamu Alaikum

Dear Administrator,

I have sent you another couple of paintings, I was wondering if you would be kind enough to replace my current painting (the Light), with �the Just� (the green & yellow piece).  Could you then please delete my current (or it was until someone changed it) painting (the Light).

The rest (the Alive, the Protecting friend, & the Loving. you may display for anyone�s use.  [p.s i do not trust the english translation in the book of, the 99 names of Allah which i have, so please correct me if i am wrong]

Insha Allah

Wasalaam

nadir

Date Posted: 19 April 2005 at 3:30am

Assalaamu Alaikum

Administrator

many, many thanks.....

if i create anymore, i'll save them up and send them all at once to save time. Insha Allah

nadir

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net