Forum Description: General Discussion
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=285
Printed Date: 26 April 2024 at 5:22am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Yusuf Islam
Posted By: islamhussain
Subject: Yusuf Islam
Date Posted: 28 March 2005 at 2:47pm

http://www.mobile786.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17 - http://www.mobile786.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17

what do peaople think of Yusuf Islam.... I was listening to an internview with him on bbc radio and was kinda unsure with the fact that he is returning to pop music... have a listen to the interview.

Replies:
Posted By: semar
Date Posted: 28 March 2005 at 3:26pm

Salam,

In my view, nothing wrong with music as long as the lyric if any is OK and used for a good mission. If we think clearly, music is the west's religion. If you want to touch the west heart, so music is very powerful media.

Allah/God know best.

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"

Posted By: ummziba
Date Posted: 29 March 2005 at 3:35am

Yes, I agree with Semar on this.  It was music that started me on the road to Islam!  It can be a very powerful message.

Peace, ummziba.

-------------
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~

Date Posted: 29 March 2005 at 10:39am

Thanks for getting back to me, I really am still un sure about it.... I was brought up with elders saying that music is very bad, and now everyone is fine...... should we not indulge in doubtful matters, as they will evetually lead us astray....

did anyone listen to the interview

http://www.mobile786.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17 - http://www.mobile786.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17

Posted By: Yusuf.
Date Posted: 29 March 2005 at 11:03am

Assalamu alaikum,

Insha'Allah read the fatwa at the link below:

http://www.sunnipath.com/resources/Questions/qa00002024.aspx - http://www.sunnipath.com/resources/Questions/qa00002024.aspx

-------------
Yusuf

Date Posted: 29 March 2005 at 1:05pm

that was an interesting read - anybody else have any thoughts on this?

-------------
Islam
-------------------------
http://www.mobile786.com

Date Posted: 29 March 2005 at 7:43pm

From the fatwa:
====
"This is also one of the main reasons for the prohibition of music, as it effects one�s emotions, creates arousal, passion and excitement, and also leads to various physiological changes in the person."

"It is also proved that music affects one�s emotions, increases arousal in terms of alertness and excitement and also leads to various psychological changes in the person. In a psychological experiment, it was found that listening to moderate type of music increased one�s normal heart beat, whilst listening to rock music the heart beat increased even further"
===

I totally agree with this. But I think music is just a tool, a "neutral tool" we can use for bad or evil. Music can make someone humble or arrogant, close to the creator or even further, bad excitement or good excitement and so on. Like a knife can be used to kill somebody or to help somebody. So it's not the music as a whole that must be prohibited but the type of music, the type of lyric etc. But "type" doesn't mean that rock is always bad, slow music always good. Probably the correct term is the "value" or "content" of the music. With similar analogy we can not prohibit a knife because can be used to kill somebody.

Allah knows best.

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

Posted By: MOCKBA
Date Posted: 29 March 2005 at 8:30pm

salaamz,

lets hope that Br. Yusuf Islam, may Allaah reward him for his contributions, has done an in-depth and careful research on the subject and would not do something against Islaamic teachings or something that could harm Ummah

his not so old audio-project entitled "I Look, I See", mainly targeted for children, helps establish some basics of Islaam in adults, too. Months of islaamic calendar, respect towards parents (a very nice piece on Mother), unity... voices, percussions - all well packaged on a CD.

Perhaps it is not so much of a music... but communication tool. 

Must be careful though with definitive statements. Something we definetely do not need is for "progressive" groups to start advocating some Islamic Gospels in the mosques...

MOCKBA 

Posted By: Alwardah
Date Posted: 29 March 2005 at 9:14pm

As Salamu Alaikum

I have read lots of articles and heard a lot of lectures given by Br.Yusuf Islam Masha Allah they were very inspiring, but his going back to music that is something I am distressed about. To me it seems like he is undoing his good works even if this is done for a good cause.

The fatawas given by most scholars is that music is Haram.

The Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) stated that Haram is clear and Halal is clear but there are doubtful thing in between the two. It is better to stay away from these doubtful things and music is one of those doubtful things, because there are a few scholars who say it is okay.

Allah knows best as He is the Only One Who knows the intention of each and every one of us.

-------------
�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)

Date Posted: 29 March 2005 at 10:52pm

Salam,

I strongly against gospelization of the mosque. I myself don't like music but my wife and my kids do. They like Islamic song such as Muslim kids song, Adam world song etc. All of their collections have meaningful lyrics. For my kids other than entertaining also help them to understand Islam better, such us the ones of God, memorizing pillars of Islam, history of the prophet, be kind to others, etc.

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

Date Posted: 30 March 2005 at 3:57am

It seems to me that there is far more "evil" on the internet than could ever be in music!  And yet, here we all are using this evil thing! 

It's not like we are four year olds who don't know right from wrong or how to control ourselves.  We all use this internet and (Allah willing) manage to keep away from all the very bad stuff available at the touch of our fingertips.  Why can't we manage to control ourselves to listen only to good/inspiring/useful music???

I couldn't imagine my life without music (and yes, I like rock).  Music lifts my spirits, makes me happy and most of all reminds me to thank Allah for all His wonderful gifts.

From what I have seen and read of Yusuf Islam, his deen is very strong.  I can't imagine that he would do anything but good, inspirational music that might bring more people to the fold of Islam.  And even if he does "bad" music, are we not mature enough not to listen if we don't want to? 

Peace, ummziba.

-------------

Posted By: nadir
Date Posted: 30 March 2005 at 7:29am

As-Salaamu Alaikum

Also from the Fatwa;

Music and temporary entertainments sink the human in physical pleasures and prevent him/her from true spiritual gains. In conclusion, music has a great role to play in preventing a human from realising the purpose of creation.�

I agree with this 100%.

I admit that in my pre-Islamic period of ignorance, lyrics within music, at times, strengthened my search for the truth. However a Muslim who has given up the use of haram instruments, (in my opinion) should not transgress back therein.

I am aware he may be doing so with pure motivation, but surely Allah (SWT) has placed others (within the music world), who have not yet embraced Islam (but Insha Allah, will do so) to guide the �Lost� into the �Light�?

As I gradually corrected the unlawful things in my life (as I continue to do so), I realised that we do need to �sense something� (ie some evil people use sensory deprivation, as torture). However I found that in the silence of non-music, Allah (SWT) had been dwelling. I heard the songs of His birds, the sound of the trees dancing in the wind.

It is our own conditioning that makes us think, certain things are more enjoyable than others. Why are Allah�s (SWT) songs (which are free of cost & free of any �manipulation�) not as beautiful and enjoyable, as music?

I also agree about the fact that music can take us into a trance like state, where we forget our obligations (�As far as the songs are concerned, if they consist of anything that is unlawful or they prevent one from the obligatory duties, then they will be unlawful�).

Hence I do not intend to suggest that if you listen to music you should replace one trance like state (music) for another (Allah�s [SWT] songs), as in that silence of non-music, Allah (SWT) out of His Compassion, may wish/need to condemn the error of our ways, so that we may move closer to Him.

A final point, if I may, I see the harp used on coats of arms (crests) that belong to people whom I don not trust (I�ll let you decide if you want to look into masonic symbolism, it is easy to find on the internet), and I have even heard a scientific �theory of everything�, called �string theory� I do not want to corrupt you with it�s details, but it is a direct derivative of the �worship� of stringed instruments.

Wa-Salaam

nadir

Date Posted: 30 March 2005 at 8:43am

Salam,

Good point ummziba, internet is another tool, another "neutral tool". And there is no script (hadith/quran or even classic scholar) talked about that specifically. So the judgment for it will be purely using logic.

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

Date Posted: 30 March 2005 at 10:44am

As-Salaamu Alaikum

Are we Muslim's, or are we innovators?

For Yusuf Islam to transgress back into using musical instruments (after not using them) is to say (to non-Muslim's), I found peace in Allah (SWT) - without music, but now, I am more knowledgeable, I fancy using music again! 

In other words - music is permissible - I�ll do what I want!   

Music is Haram!

Did Adam & Eve under/overstand why they were not allowed to eat from the forbidden tree?

No they didn't, otherwise they would not have done so, as they were ashamed to face their/our Lord (SWT), after they had eaten from the tree. Allah (SWT) asks that we obey his command, even though we may not comprehend why we need to do so.

Whatever happened to - Labbaika wa sa�daika

I respond to your call, I am obedient to your orders

Al-Hamdulilah

Date Posted: 30 March 2005 at 10:52am

Assalamu alaikum,

I find it very easy to agree with ukhti ummziba that music is a neutral tool, and that far worse things can be found on the internet. However, it would be wise to recall the conclusions of Ahmad Ibn al-Naqib al-Misri in "The Reliance of the Traveller:

The position of the Ash`aris, the followers of Abul Hasan Ash`ari, is that the mind is unable to know the rule of Allah about the acts of those morally responsible except by means of His messengers and inspired books.

For minds are in obvious disagreement about acts. Some minds find certain acts good, others find them bad.

Moreover, one person can be of two minds about one and the same action. Caprice often wins out over the intellect, and considering something good or bad comes to be based on mere whim.

So it cannot be said that an act which the mind deems good is therefore good in the eyes of Allah, its performance called for, and its doer rewarded by Allah; or that whatever the mind feels to be bad is thus bad in the eyes of Allah, its non-performance called for and its doer punished by Allah.

The basic premise of this school of thought is that the good of the acts of those morally responsible is what the Lawgiver (syn. Allah or His messenger (Allah bless him and give him peace) ) has indicated is good by permitting it or asking it be done. And the bad is what the Lawgiver has indicated is bad by asking it not be done.

The good is not what reason considers good, nor the bad what reason considers bad. The measure of good and bad, according to this school of thought, is the sacred Law not reason (dis:W-3). ("Sacred Knowledge," Chapter One).

As for the Internet, it is a neutral tool which contains good as well as bad. However, the nearly unanimous verdicts of the scholars have determined that music, by its very nature, is haram. And as Imam al-Naqib has clearly pointed out, human reason is insufficient to determine what is good and bad. In a situation such as this, one must defer to the consensus of our scholars, who have devoted their entire lives to these questions using the Holy Qur'an and Sunnah of the Noble Prophet, salallahu alaihi wassalam.

Allah 'Alim

-------------
Yusuf

Posted By: blond
Date Posted: 30 March 2005 at 11:38am

"27:16. And Solomon was David�s heir, and he said: O men, we have been taught the speech of birds, and we have been granted of all things. Surely this is manifest grace."

I have heard it said that this is symbolic language used to describe those who live on top of society and study knowledge which is kept from those on the bottom of society. This hidden knowledge allows them to rise far above others. Within these circles, music is spoken of as one of the highest forms of language. Therefore, it is called "the language of the birds". King David was taught this language as a child. Some scriptures say he played instruments while his brothers excelled physically.

I guess the point is that music is a vibration, and everything in the universe vibrates at a resonant frequency. Wise people know how to set up a resonant frequency that is translated as "harmony", using sound. This is why music can unite people who can't even speak the same language.

I don't think this allegorical interpretation of "idle speech" as music, is correct.

"3:7. He it is Who has revealed the Book to thee; some of its verses are decisive � they are the basis of the Book � and others are allegorical. Then those in whose hearts is perversity follow the part of it which is allegorical, seeking to mislead, and seeking to give it (their own) interpretation. And none knows its interpretation save Allah, and those firmly rooted in knowledge, they say: 'We believe in it, it is all from our Lord.' And none mind except men of understanding."

Thank you.

Date Posted: 30 March 2005 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by blond blond wrote:

"I don't think this allegorical interpretation of "idle speech" as music, is correct.

Assalamu alaikum,

You are free to agree or disagree with whatever you choose, but in this case you are diasgreeing with Abd Allah ibn Mas�ud, and Abd Allah ibn Abbas, radiallahu anhumaa, both Companions of the Noble Prophet, salallahu alaihi wassalam, as well as Hasan al-Basri, radiallahu anhu, the author of Tafsir al-Kathiir, the authoritative commentary on the Holy Qur'an.

What is rather shocking to me is that you are bold enough to invoke the Qur'anic injunction in 3:7 against three such indisputable authorities, two of whom walked with our Beloved Prophet, salallahu alaihi wassalam, and listened to his words. Do you really feel you have enough knowledge to do this?

-------------
Yusuf

Date Posted: 30 March 2005 at 12:24pm

nadir,

I can find "fatwas" on the internet that say music is not haram.  There are as many opinions out there as people expressing them.  I feel you are being rather self righteous about this and very judgemental.  This is not a black and white, cut and dried issue, as all the varying opinions will attest to.

If you choose not to listen to music, good for you!  Please don't call those of us who do innovators and not Muslims - you have no right to judge, that is Allah's place.  Calling a Muslim, not a Muslim is a serious charge.

Take a look at these, if you wish:

http://www.islamonline.net/fatwa/english/FatwaDisplay.asp?hFatwaID=90851 - http://www.islamonline.net/fatwa/english/FatwaDisplay.asp?hF atwaID=90851

http://www.islamonline.net/fatwa/english/FatwaDisplay.asp?hFatwaID=40116 - http://www.islamonline.net/fatwa/english/FatwaDisplay.asp?hF atwaID=40116

Perhaps you are prepared to call Ahmad Kutty and Qaradawi innovators and not Muslims?

I am getting a headache, I think I'll go listen to some soothing tunes .

Peace, ummziba (perhaps a lesser Muslim than you but a Muslim all the same)

-------------

Date Posted: 30 March 2005 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Yusuf. Yusuf. wrote:

"I don't think this allegorical interpretation of "idle speech" as music, is correct.

What is rather shocking to me is that you are bold enough to invoke the Qur'anic injunction in 3:7 against three such indisputable authorities, two of whom walked with our Beloved Prophet, salallahu alaihi wassalam, and listened to his words. Do you really feel you have enough knowledge to do this?

W.A.S.

I am no scholar. I am just a baby in Islam. I meant no offense to you or anyone else. I will always admit I am wrong, when I am shown I am in error.

In the Ayat 3:7 that I quoted, I have seen versions where the mere placement a comma changes the meaning of the Ayat.

Example: "And none knows its interpretation save Allah, and those firmly rooted in knowledge. They say: We believe in it, it is all from our Lord. And none mind except men of understanding."

If you notice, the translator placed the comma in such a way as to make the reader believe that they know the thinking of Allah. This is something that no one can claim, in my perspective. Allah is the Best Knower, not you and I or anyone claiming scholarship.

Therefore, the comma should be replaced with a period.

Example: "And none knows its interpretation save Allah. And those firmly rooted in knowledge, they say: We believe in it, it is all from our Lord. And none mind except men of understanding."

And the period should be replaced with a comma.

Example: "And none knows its interpretation save Allah. And those firmly rooted in knowledge, they say: 'We believe in it, it is all from our Lord'. And none mind except men of understanding."

Again, no offense is intended. But, if the scholars want the credit for scholarship, then they must also take the blame for the condition of the divided Muslim world who follows their scholarship.

Thank you.

Date Posted: 30 March 2005 at 2:48pm

As-Salaamu Alaikum

Ahmad Ibn al-Naqib al-Misri in "The Reliance of the Traveller

�The basic premise of this school of thought is that the good of the acts of those morally responsible is what the Lawgiver (syn. Allah or His messenger [Allah bless him and give him peace]) has indicated is good by permitting it or asking it be done. And the bad is what the Lawgiver has indicated is bad by asking it not be done.

The good is not what reason considers good, nor the bad what reason considers bad. The measure of good and bad, according to this school of thought, is the sacred Law not reason (dis:W-3). ("Sacred Knowledge," Chapter One).�

I liked the post Yusuf, thank you, Al-Hamdulilah

It inspired me to answer my own question posted earlier (within the Unity subject), which I�d like Yusuf to correct if he thinks it to be wrong, Insha Allah.

A Muslim should submit to the Sacred Law (decreed within Islam) without having to under/overstand why!!!!! The amount of literature, contemplation, direct experience & sincerity, are only a means to achieve a greater level of submission, hence success (knowledge) is - how well one submits to Allah�s will.

One of the biggest problems facing the Muslim community is that, we all think - �I know best�, the only way to unite, once again under one ummah, is to humble ourselves, and adhere to the Sacred Law � �Allah knows best�.

Hence the above exert is beautiful when it mentions a good deed is not what we think it to be, but what the Lawgiver has deemed (syn. Allah or His messenger [Allah bless him and give him peace]) & vice versa.

Narrated Abu Huraira (may allah be pleased with him): The Prophet (SAW) said, �Leave me as I leave you, for the people who were before you were ruined because of their questions and their differences over their Prophets. So, if I forbid you to do something, then keep away from it. And if I order you to do something, then do of it as much as you can.� [9:391 O.B.]

To Ummziba,

�I feel you are being rather self righteous about this and very judgemental.�

I am not insecure enough to feel that I need to justify myself (& what I know) to you. If I follow Allah�s Last Messenger (SAW), I know I am on the right path, and he definitely did not play a musical instrument, so for me there is no doubt. However you do have doubt, because the topic is unclear.  

If music was Halal - & I was to act upon the above Hadith (with regards to listening/creating music), I would be �lost in a trance of music�. I would rather submit to Allah, & be cognizant of my true surroundings here-now, than be lost in (someone else�s) time zone from the past. You may wish to listen to (the same) songs over & over again, I might prefer to look up at the sky, where a cloud has never repeated the same shape.

Narrated �Abdullah bin �Amr (may Allah be pleased with him): I heard the Prophet (SAW) saying, �Allah will not deprive you of knowledge after He has given it to you, but it will be taken away through the death of the religious learned men with their knowledge. There will remain ignorant people who, when consulted, will give verdicts according to their own opinions, whereby they will mislead others & go astray.� [9:410 O.B.]

Al-Hamdulilah

Date Posted: 30 March 2005 at 3:14pm

Salam,

But in many verses in the Quran Allah asks us to use our brain, our mind, to think. Thinking is always comes from "why". It's not fair if Allah asks us to use our brain and on the other hand we can not ask "why" to understand Allah's law.

If so we don't need any more Islamic scholars just follow the text that already written, it has everything, don't ask , just do it. So we will be "taqlid" (follow blindly).

This is probably why Muslim declined since 1100 because they discouraged to ask "why".

Allah knows best.

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

Date Posted: 30 March 2005 at 3:32pm

Assalamu alaikum,

No offense taken whatsoever, blond.

First of all you should be credited with such a sincere determination to understand the meaning of the Ayaats fully, within their context. This is most admirable. However, one must remember that all translations of the Holy Qur'an are merely interpretations. Only someone with sound knowledge of Arabic as it was spoken at the time of the Noble Prophet, salallahu alaihi wassalam, should undertake this effort. I have been studying Arabic for a number of years and still do not feel comfortable enough to consider the nuances of the language.

You mention that Allah Knows Best, not the scholars, and of course I agree. However, if one's opinion varies from that of a specific scholar and one does not possess the linguistic and theological background to adequately address the issue, one should defer to the consensus of scholars who do possess these skills.

As I have learned Arabic, I have found that a number of verses in the Yusuf Ali translation of the Holy Qur'an are not precise, and in some cases other scholars have presented persuasive arguments that some of his translations are erroneous.

As you seem to be most enthusiastic about increasing your knowledge, I strongly recommend the following book:

An Introduction to Koranic and Classical Arabic: An Elementary Grammar of the Language by Wheeler M. Thackston 

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0936347406/qid=1112225855/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-1536555-9364135?v=glance&s=books - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0936347406/qid =1112225855/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-1536555-9364135?v=glance&a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;s=books

This has greatly helped me learn the language of the Holy Qur'an, and Insha'Allah you will find it useful as well.

Allah Hafiz

-------------
Yusuf

Date Posted: 30 March 2005 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by nadir nadir wrote:

I liked the post Yusuf, thank you, Al-Hamdulilah

Walaikum assalam akhi. The "Reliance of the Traveller" is a text every Muslim should have on his/her bookshelf, and now there is a fine new translation Alhamdulillah by Sheikh Nuh Ha Mim Keller:

http://www.masud.co.uk/ISLAM/nuh/reliance.htm#reliance - http://www.masud.co.uk/ISLAM/nuh/reliance.htm#reliance

I'll look at your post in the other thread Insha'Allah, akhi, but I'm afraid I am woefully limited in my knowledge and most likely won't be able to offer much.

Allah Hafiz

-------------
Yusuf

Date Posted: 31 March 2005 at 4:40am

Thank you very much for your concideration and for the book that you offered to me.

I have studied the Arabic language and read Quran daily. I am no master of the language, but Insh Allah I will become one.

Your spirit seems to be one of nuturing the growth of Muslims. That's cool.

Date Posted: 31 March 2005 at 7:58am
Originally posted by semar semar wrote:

Salam,

But in many verses in the Quran Allah asks us to use our brain, our mind, to think. Thinking is always comes from "why". It's not fair if Allah asks us to use our brain and on the other hand we can not ask "why" to understand Allah's law.

If so we don't need any more Islamic scholars just follow the text that already written, it has everything, don't ask , just do it. So we will be "taqlid" (follow blindly).

This is probably why Muslim declined since 1100 because they discouraged to ask "why".

Allah knows best.

Wa-Alaikum Salaam wa Rahmatullah

Semar

I agree that we should use the gifts Allah (SWT) has bestowed upon us, otherwise He would not have given us those attributes (He would have given us wings, if He wanted us to fly).

My point is that I am looking at �the big picture�, this forum is a public place, and hence any one (Muslim or non-Muslim) may pass through (casually or otherwise).

It is upon this premise that I state � submit to the best of your ability (closest to the ways of the Qur�an & Prophet�s [SAW] Sunnah), now, as currently we do not have the attributes to be able to question Allah�s (SWT) will (ie His Messenger [SAW]). The questions/doubts we may have about �clear or unclear� areas, will, Insha Allah, be explained within time.

So yes I agree, it strengthens one�s faith to actually know why we are required to perform/refrain from certain acts, however if you are truly sincere in your belief, you will submit now, & trust Allah (SWT) will calm one�s heart, with regards to our incessant - needing to know why? Because I might know better!    

It is not my intention to judge any as non-Muslim, rather I am thinking of the example we are setting for all whom are brought to view �us�.

Al-Hamdulilah

Date Posted: 31 March 2005 at 8:24am

"7:11. And We indeed created you, then We fashioned you, then We said to the angels: Make submission to Adam. So they submitted, except Iblis; he was not of those who submitted."

This has been a sore spot for many in Islam, because we make submission to none but Allah. Who is the "We", since Allah has no parnters? The Arabic name used is not Adam, it is Khalifa. The meaning of Khalifa is "one who takes the place of another who has died". That definition opens up a whole world of debate, because Allah never dies.

My point is, Adam was a man whom Allah named Khalifa. Is Adam the potential of all of humanity? If so, we all have the potential to become Khalifa and wield great power over creation from Allah.

We cannot grow without the ability to respectfully question our Creator.

Date Posted: 31 March 2005 at 9:13am

"7:11. And We indeed created you, then We fashioned you, then We said to the angels: Make submission to Adam. So they submitted, except Iblis; he was not of those who submitted."

This has been a sore spot for many in Islam, because we make submission to none but Allah. Who is the "We", since Allah has no parnters?

Assalamu alaikum,

It is the royal "we," which is a very common  device in many languages, including English. The English kings/queens regularly referred to themselves as "we," as in the phrase "we are not amused."

In the Holy Qur'an, it is used for rhetorical purposes. "We" is used to imply distance between Allah, subhanahu wa ta'ala, and His servants. "I" is used when Allah's closeness to His servants is emphasized. An excellent example of the use of this device in the Holy Qur'an can be found in Sura Ta Ha, where "we" ("nah.nu") is used to decribe Allah's acts, but "I" ("ana") is used when Allah, subhanahu wa ta'ala, speaks to Musa, alaihi salam.

-------------
Yusuf

Date Posted: 31 March 2005 at 10:21am

This has been a sore spot for many in Islam, because we make submission to none but Allah. Who is the "We", since Allah has no parnters?

Assalamu alaikum,

It is the royal "we," which is a very common  device in many languages, including English. The English kings/queens regularly referred to themselves as "we," as in the phrase "we are not amused."

In the Holy Qur'an, it is used for rhetorical purposes. "We" is used to imply distance between Allah, subhanahu wa ta'ala, and His servants.

W.A.S.

With all due respect to you, When the personal pronoun "We" (referring to Allah) is used, it is BEFORE Adam's creation. How could Allah display nearness to HIS servants, or their works before they existed, by calling Himself "We"? That does not make sense to me.

"We" can't take credit for "Our" creation, before "We" were born.

Who, then, is the "We" referring to?

Also, "And We indeed created you, then We fashioned you", and then, in the middle of the sentence, Allah speaks in the past tense of Adam, "then We said to the angels: Make submission to Adam." as though Allah is calling us Adam. The angels were ordered to make submission to Adam and all submitted, except for Iblis.

This is facinating to me. I love language and I sincerely want to know Allah's meaning of His Book. So, I study every word.

Date Posted: 31 March 2005 at 10:58am

As-Salaamu Alaikum

Dear blond, 

Narrated Anas bin Malik (may Allah be pleased with him); Allah's Messenger (SAW) said, "People will not stop asking questions till they say, This is Allah, the Creator of everything, then who created Allah?� [9:399 O.B.]

Please do not think my quoting this Hadith is a means to dodge your issue, I would love to give you an answer from my own interpretation of the matter, but I am going to first see if Yusuf knows of an article on the matter (by a scholar/learned man), that we may read?

Wa-Salaam

nadir

Date Posted: 31 March 2005 at 11:02am
Originally posted by nadir nadir wrote:

As-Salaamu Alaikum

Dear blond, 

Narrated Anas bin Malik (may Allah be pleased with him); Allah's Messenger (SAW) said, "People will not stop asking questions till they say, This is Allah, the Creator of everything, then who created Allah?� [9:399 O.B.]

Please do not think my quoting this Hadith is a means to dodge your issue, I would love to give you an answer from my own interpretation of the matter, but I am going to first see if Yusuf knows of an article on the matter (by a scholar/learned man), that we may read?

Wa-Salaam

nadir

Yessir.

"4:153. The People of the Book ask thee to bring down to them a Book from heaven; indeed they demanded of Moses a greater thing than that, for they said: Show us Allah manifestly. So destructive punishment overtook them on account of their wrongdoing. Then they took the calf (for a god), after clear signs had come to them, but We pardoned this. And We gave Moses clear authority."

I understand your point of view. But, that evil intent is not in my heart.

I want to be the full manifestation of what I am created to be, to serve the full purpose for my creation. This is the reason for my perspective on study and accuracy.

Thank you.

Date Posted: 31 March 2005 at 11:06am

Assalamu alaikum,

In the Holy Qur'an, it is used for rhetorical purposes. "We" is used to imply distance between Allah, subhanahu wa ta'ala, and His servants.

W.A.S.

With all due respect to you, When the personal pronoun "We" (referring to Allah) is used, it is BEFORE Adam's creation. How could Allah display nearness to HIS servants, or their works before they existed, by calling Himself "We"? That does not make sense to me.

Assalamu alaikum,

I'm a bit busy till evening, but briefly: in the passage you quote, Allah, subhanahu wa ta'ala, is addressing the angels. Throughout the Holy Qur'an, "We" is used by Allah, subhanahu wa ta'ala, in His relationship to the angels. Thus, the usage is both consistent and logical, since the angels are also servants, but since they lack the knowledge man possesses, they cannot have the intimate relationship with Allah, subhanahu wa ta'ala, that man can have Insha'Allah.

Allah 'Alim

-------------
Yusuf

Date Posted: 31 March 2005 at 11:43am

[QUOTE=blond][QUOTE=Yusuf.][QUOTE=blond]

Assalamu alaikum,

I'm a bit busy till evening, but briefly: in the passage you quote, Allah, subhanahu wa ta'ala, is addressing the angels. Throughout the Holy Qur'an, "We" is used by Allah, subhanahu wa ta'ala, in His relationship to the angels. Thus, the usage is both consistent and logical, since the angels are also servants, but since they lack the knowledge man possesses, they cannot have the intimate relationship with Allah, subhanahu wa ta'ala, that man can have Insha'Allah.

Allah 'Alim

But if "We" created Adam, then Adam would make submission to "Us".  But to the contrary, the angels were ordered to make submission to Adam. So I don't agree that the "We" here is referring to Allah and the angels. According to what we read, the angels did not create Adam, they bowed to him at the order of Allah.

I hope you don't feel I am being a "smart alec" by pointing this out, and I hope you are offended. I am just pointing out what my study has manifested and I am striving to learn more.

Thank you.

Date Posted: 31 March 2005 at 1:37pm

Has anyone actually listened to Yusuf Islam's interview on Radio five live?

the link is available here....

-------------
Islam

Date Posted: 31 March 2005 at 1:48pm

Assalamu alaikum,

Allah 'Alim

But if "We" created Adam, then Adam would make submission to "Us".  But to the contrary, the angels were ordered to make submission to Adam. So I don't agree that the "We" here is referring to Allah and the angels. According to what we read, the angels did not create Adam, they bowed to him at the order of Allah.

I hope you don't feel I am being a "smart alec" by pointing this out, and I hope you are offended. I am just pointing out what my study has manifested and I am striving to learn more.

Thank you.

Assalamu alaikum,

I guess i wasn't very clear. The "we" is the royal "we" indicating distance between Allah, subhanahu wa ta'ala, and his servants, in this instance the angels. But the "we" refers to Allah Alone, subhanahu wa ta'ala.

-------------
Yusuf

Date Posted: 01 April 2005 at 4:14am

Assalamu alaikum,

Allah 'Alim

Thank you.

Assalamu alaikum,

I guess i wasn't very clear. The "we" is the royal "we" indicating distance between Allah, subhanahu wa ta'ala, and his servants, in this instance the angels. But the "we" refers to Allah Alone, subhanahu wa ta'ala.

Since Allah knows best the precise language of Arabic in which He revealed the Quran, why use "We", when He really means "I"; why use "Us" when He really mean "Me". This royal "We" is Allah, and Allah is not confused over the identity of the "We".

I am not confused on the subject, but I really want to encourage discussion on the subject.

Date Posted: 01 April 2005 at 4:25am

Blond,

Perhaps you should open a new thread on the topic of Allah's pronouns in the Qur'an if you would like to explore this more as we are getting rather off topic!

I'll just put in my two cents.  It is my understanding that Allah is undefinable to the human mind.  It is also my understanding that perhaps Allah uses various pronouns (we, us, etc.) to emphasize that we cannot fathom our Sustainer at all.  If only 'he' or 'I' were used we might form a picture of a "male person", which would not be correct.  Allah is beyond our comprehension and the varied pronouns just support that idea.  (*Perhaps pronoun is not the correct term!!!?)

Apologies to Islamhussain for getting off your topic!

Peace, ummziba.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 April 2005 at 4:51am

Thank you.

Date Posted: 01 April 2005 at 8:56am

Since Allah knows best the precise language of Arabic in which He revealed the Quran, why use "We", when He really means "I"; why use "Us" when He really mean "Me". This royal "We" is Allah, and Allah is not confused over the identity of the "We".

I am not confused on the subject, but I really want to encourage discussion on the subject.

Assalamu alaikum,

because the royal "we" is in fact an acceptable, widely used and, with all due respect, universally understood literary device that really poses no serious problems. The fact that many westerners do not understand this device is the result of the lack of proper education in the field of rhetoric. Anyone who has read the seminal works of English literature would automatically understand this device, as I did when I first read a translation of the Holy Qur'an.

I am constantly shocked at the low level of understanding of English, their native language, demonstrated by young people in college. The pathetic state of affairs in western education should not be used to criticize the majestic style of the Holy Qur'an, whose clarity in this matter is unquestionable.

I will not be saying any more on this subject.

-------------
Yusuf

Date Posted: 01 April 2005 at 11:39am

Assalamu alaikum,

because the royal "we" is in fact an acceptable, widely used and, with all due respect, universally understood literary device that really poses no serious problems. The fact that many westerners do not understand this device is the result of the lack of proper education in the field of rhetoric. Anyone who has read the seminal works of English literature would automatically understand this device, as I did when I first read a translation of the Holy Qur'an.

I am constantly shocked at the low level of understanding of English, their native language, demonstrated by young people in college. The pathetic state of affairs in western education should not be used to criticize the majestic style of the Holy Qur'an, whose clarity in this matter is unquestionable.

I will not be saying any more on this subject.

Thank you.

Your comment sounds as though you have distain for those who you feel do not know as much as you do. I could be incorrect, but that is the perception that is conveyed.

This is a character defect that you will need to correct, to be truly effective at teaching any subject.

I apologize for frustrating you.

Date Posted: 01 April 2005 at 12:17pm

Thank you.

Your comment sounds as though you have distain for those who you feel do not know as much as you do. I could be incorrect, but that is the perception that is conveyed.

This is a character defect that you will need to correct, to be truly effective at teaching any subject.

I apologize for frustrating you.

Assalamu alaikum

I have disdain, and contempt, for the educational system of the west, which produces individuals who are only semi-literate in their own language. The people themselves are not to blame, of course.

And I have many, many character defects to correct!!!!!

-------------
Yusuf

Posted By: Alwardah
Date Posted: 03 April 2005 at 7:20am

As Salamu Alaikum

Insha Allah going back to the topic I found this Fatwa from Islam Q and A

Question Reference Number:: 67925
Title: She loves Islamic nasheeds and they take up a lot of her time

Home > Jurisprudence and Islamic Rulings > Customs and traditions > Rulings on art and acting > Condemnation of Singing and Musical Instruments >
Question:

I used to be one of those who listen to songs all the time, to such an extent that I memorized them, but praise be to Allaah, for nine years I have not listened to them. But there is another problem; I started to love Islamic nasheeds very much and they take up a considerable amount of my time. Is there any sin in that?.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly: 

Songs which are accompanied by musical instruments or which contain words of love or provoke desire, are undoubtedly haraam, because of a great deal of evidence to that effect, which you will find in the answers to questions no. file:///D:/index.php?ln=eng&QR=5000 - 5000 and file:///D:/index.php?ln=eng&QR=20406 - 20406

So we praise Allaah for having enabled you to give up listening to songs and turned your heart away from them. 

Secondly: 

There is nothing wrong with listening to Islamic nasheeds which contain words of wisdom, exhortation, encouragement to do good, and promotion of noble attitudes, so long as there are no musical instruments and the voices do not provoke fitnah or incite one to do haraam deeds, and so long as one does not listen to them a great deal. 

The Standing Committee issued a detailed fatwa concerning the ruling on Islamic nasheeds, which states the following: 

You have spoken the truth concerning the prohibition on songs as they exist nowadays, because they include immoral and indecent words, and they include things in which there is nothing good. Indeed, they are full of idle talk and provocation of desire, sexual urges and promiscuity, and softening of the voice in such a way that it tempts the listener to evil. May Allaah help us and you to do that which pleases Him. 

It is permissible, as an alternative to these songs, for you to listen to Islamic nasheeds which include wisdom, exhortation and words that promote enthusiasm and protective jealousy for Islam, and stir up Islamic feelings, and put one off evil and the things that lead to it, to motivate the one who �sings� the nasheeds and the one who listens to them to obey Allaah and deter them from sin and transgressing the sacred limits of Allaah, and encourage them to live life within the framework of sharee�ah and to strive in jihad for His sake. But he should not regard that as a �wird� that he must adhere to, or a habit in which he engages on a continual basis, rather it should be something that he listens to from time to time on appropriate occasions when there is a need for it, such as at weddings, when travelling for jihad, and so on, or when he is feeling listless and needs something to revive his spirits and encourage him to do good, or when he feels inclined towards evil so he listens to it to deter himself from it. 

Even better than that is committing oneself to reasing a portion of Qur�aan on a daily basis, or a wird of dhikrs that are narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). That is purer for his soul and is more effective in bringing comfort to the heart. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): 

�Allaah has sent down the Best Statement, a Book (this Qur�aan), its parts resembling each other (in goodness and truth) (and) oft‑repeated. The skins of those who fear their Lord shiver from it (when they recite it or hear it). Then their skin and their heart soften to the remembrance of Allaah. That is the Guidance of Allaah. He guides therewith whom He wills; and whomever Allaah sends astray, for him there is no guide�

[al-Zumar 39:23] 

�Those who believed (in the Oneness of Allaah � Islamic Monotheism), and whose hearts find rest in the remembrance of Allaah verily, in the remembrance of Allaah do hearts find rest.

29. Those who believed (in the Oneness of Allaah � Islamic Monotheism), and work righteousness, T�b� (all kinds of happiness or name of a tree in Paradise) is for them and a beautiful place of (final) return�

[al-Ra�d 13:28, 29] 

The way of the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) was to pay particular attention to the Qur�aan and Sunnah, memorizing it, studying it and acting upon it. Along with that they also had nasheeds and chants which they would recite, such as when digging the ditch and building mosques, and when travelling for jihad, and on other such occasions, without making that their habit or focusing all their attention on it; it was simply something with which they would relax occasionally or stir their emotions.   

With regard to the tabl drum and other musical instruments, it is not permissible to use them with these nasheeds, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and his companions (may Allaah be pleased with them) did not do that. 

Allaah is the Guide to the Straight Path. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon his family and companions. End quote from Fataawa Islamiyyah, 4/532 

Thirdly: 

You should remember Allaah a great deal (dhikr) and read Qur�aan; set yourself a daily wird to memorize and review. Also keep yourself busy listening to some lessons and lectures, because this is the best means of reducing the amount of nasheed you listen to, and making use of your time with something that is beneficial and useful. 

It is very unfortunate that the one who listens to nasheed a great deal finds it difficult to read Qur�aan or even to listen to it; this is something harmful which should not be taken lightly. Even if the harm is only causing him to miss out on a great deal of reward, that is should be sufficient deterrent for the people of faith from becoming attached to nasheeds and always listening to them. 

It is well known that if a believer spends an hour reading Qur�aan, thousands of hasanaat will be recorded for him, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: �Whoever reads one letter of the Book of Allaah will have one hasanah for that, and a hasanah brings a tenfold reward. I do not say that alif-laam-meem is a letter, rather alif is a letter, laam is a letter, meem is a letter.� Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2910; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi

One hour is sufficient to read twenty pages of Qur�aan, in which there are no less than nine thousand letters. 

How can a person let listening to nasheeds distract him from listening to the Book of Allaah and reciting it? 

Strive to reduce the amount of time you spend listening to these nasheeds as much as you can, so that you only listen to them during weddings, Eid and so on, and make the best use of your time so that you may rise in status. Soon, by Allaah�s leave, you will find delight in reading Qur�aan, and the joy of worship and the sweetness of faith, with the words of the Most Merciful. 

We ask Allaah to help us and you to do that which He loves and which pleases Him. 

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)

�Copyright Islam Q&A 1997-2000
You are granted the right to use and display all the information on this site without any consent from the site maintainer(s). You may copy, distribute, print, link to any document, or translate to any language, as long as the information is quoted in its entirety, the source is mentioned, and without changing the contents.

-------------
�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)

Date Posted: 07 April 2005 at 2:32pm
i am impressed that my orignal post has come such a long way :)

-------------
Islam

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net