Print Page | Close Window

FMG

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Religion - Islam
Forum Name: Islam for non-Muslims
Forum Description: Non-Muslims can ask questions about Islam, discussion for the purpose of learning.
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2436
Printed Date: 29 April 2024 at 6:06pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: FMG
Posted By: Begbie
Subject: FMG
Date Posted: 29 September 2005 at 5:12pm
First post, here goes.

What is the consensus on FMG ?

Replies:
Posted By: Angel
Date Posted: 30 September 2005 at 4:45am
What is FMG ?

-------------
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~

Date Posted: 30 September 2005 at 8:06am
Woops, a type-o.

I meant FGM, female genital mutilation.

Regards,

Francis Begbie.

Posted By: firewall
Date Posted: 30 September 2005 at 8:49am
no such thing in Islam.
i'm a female muslim & 100% pretty sure FGM never happened to me & friends here.

Posted By: AhmadJoyia
Date Posted: 30 September 2005 at 9:04am
FGM is a cultural practice in some African countries. It has nothing to do with Islam, though much of such practices are fueled on the name of religion, be it Islam for Muslims or Christianity for Christians of that culture.

Date Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:50am
Hmmm, there seems to be a difference of opinion here;

Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi

whoever finds it serving the interest of his daughters should do it, and I personally support this under the current circumstances in the modern world. But whoever chooses not to do it is not considered to have committed a sin for it is mainly meant to dignify women as held by scholars.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503543886 - Islamic rule on female circuncision (FGM)

How would this "dignify women" I wonder ?

Posted By: ummziba
Date Posted: 30 September 2005 at 1:46pm

I am afraid you are mixed up in your understanding of FGM as compared to female circumcision.  The later is a small cut in the hood of the clitoris, the former is much more and completely forbidden in Islam.  Anything more than a small cut is not circumcision at all, but mutilation.  I do hope this clears up the misunderstanding.

Just to be clear, female circumcision is not obligatory in Islam.

-------------
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~

Date Posted: 30 September 2005 at 2:11pm
I don't believe I am mixed up or misunderstanding anything.

Date Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:26pm

Originally posted by Begbie Begbie wrote:

Hmmm, there seems to be a difference of opinion here;

Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi

whoever finds it serving the interest of his daughters should do it, and I personally support this under the current circumstances in the modern world. But whoever chooses not to do it is not considered to have committed a sin for it is mainly meant to dignify women as held by scholars.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503543886 - Islamic rule on female circuncision (FGM)

How would this "dignify women" I wonder ?

So, where is the difference of opinon since I clearly highlighted it to be a cultural practice than having anything to do with divine origin? same as  the shiekh himself has declared it when he says "..But whoever chooses not to do it is not considered to have committed a sin ........". On the more, the evidence presented in support of FGM, is not authentic. Hence, there is no doubt left. Whatever, the Shiekh is saying is his personal feelings, depending upon his own cultural inclinations.

Date Posted: 01 October 2005 at 8:23am
Originally posted by AhmadJoyia AhmadJoyia wrote:

So, where is the difference of opinon since I clearly highlighted it to be a cultural practice than having anything to�do with�divine origin?

qaradawi says it's sharia, i'm not disputing divine or cultural. I'm questioning the ethic.

same as� the shiekh himself has declared it when he says�"..But whoever chooses not to do it is not considered to have committed a sin ........".
and then says I personally support this
What has it got to do with sin anyway ?

On the more, the evidence presented in support of FGM, is�not authentic. Hence, there is no doubt left. Whatever, the Shiekh is saying is his personal feelings, depending upon his own cultural inclinations.

Then the sheik is a dangerous quack ?

Posted By: Deus
Date Posted: 01 October 2005 at 11:22am

i'm not disputing divine or cultural. I'm questioning the ethic. 

Well then, this comes down to personal opinion since different people have different views of "ethics". But the question of whether or not Islamic law commands it has already been answered.

Date Posted: 01 October 2005 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Deus Deus wrote:

Well then, this comes down to personal opinion since different people have different views of "ethics".
I see, Female Genital Mutilation is not only tolerated but allowed to be promoted.

But the question of whether�or not Islamic law commands it has already been answered.
Not really.

Posted By: Deus
Date Posted: 01 October 2005 at 3:28pm

I don't believe I am mixed up or misunderstanding anything.

I don't mean to lecture you on semantics nor anatomy... but as mentioned already, circumcision is not the same as mutilation. The former involves removing the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clitoral_hood - prepuce of the clitoris (the female equivalent of the male foreskin). The latter involves cutting the clitoris.
Islam commands neither. But from what has been presented in this thread, it looks like Islam promotes circumcision (and it stresses that even this must not be severe as to affect the sexual pleasure.)

I personally believe this issue to be of a cultural origin that seems to have crossed the line of various religious groups including Muslims, Christians and Jews.

Date Posted: 01 October 2005 at 9:32pm

I don't mean to lecture you on semantics nor anatomy... but as mentioned already, circumcision is not the same as mutilation
I don't see a difference.

The former involves removing the of the clitoris (the female equivalent of the male foreskin). The latter involves cutting the clitoris.Islam commands neither.
But it does promote, encourage and tolerate it ?

But from what has been presented in this thread, it looks like Islam promotes circumcision (and it stresses that even this must not be severe as to affect the sexual pleasure.)

Then what is the purpose ?

I personally believe this issue to be of a cultural origin that seems to have crossed the line of various religious groups including Muslims, Christians and Jews.

I personally believe it to be an unnecessary practice.

Posted By: Maryga
Date Posted: 02 October 2005 at 5:00am

I personally believe it to be an unnecessary practice.

Begbie, you are absolutely right! So much for scholarship these days! To justify it in any form is abominable and it is not Islamic! It is sickening!

Posted By: ummziba
Date Posted: 02 October 2005 at 5:40am

Assalamu alaikum,

Begpie, too bad you didn't start off your first post with your position that "I believe it is an unnecessary practice".  On that point I am sure most would agree!  Personally, I would go so far as to say neither female or male circumcision is a necessary practice - after all, if we are not even allowed to pluck our eyebrows because it "changes Allah's creation", why would we cut off a part of our body?

Peace, ummziba.

-------------
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~

Date Posted: 02 October 2005 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Maryga Maryga wrote:

Begbie, you are absolutely right! So much for scholarship these days! To justify it in any form is abominable and it is not Islamic! It is sickening!

It disturbs me tht the quackery of qaradawi is held in such high regard in certain muslim (and leftists) quarters.

Date Posted: 02 October 2005 at 10:17am

So, where is the difference of opinon since I clearly highlighted it to be a cultural practice than having anything to do with divine origin?

qaradawi says it's sharia, i'm not disputing divine or cultural. I'm questioning the ethic.

Well you are not very correct in quoting Sheikh Qaradawi. Here it is as what the website says, if at all anything about shariah but not by the Sheikh Qaradawi. "As for the Shari`ah stance on female circumcision, it�s a controversial issue among the Muslim scholars and even doctors." (Bold and underlined are from my self to highlight the actual stance).

Hence, your assertion is not supported but contradicted. Secondly, the issue of ethic in FGM is intrinsically associated with culture, as is now clear, therefore, its meaningless to find its roots from religion, though I have already provided the answer to that.

same as  the shiekh himself has declared it when he says "..But whoever chooses not to do it is not considered to have committed a sin ........".
and then says I personally support this

I guess personal opinions are different than official ones. That is how I understand it. Personal opinions are, sometimes, held due to cultural influences, as I have alluded to, than on sound evidence.

What has it got to do with sin anyway ?

I don't know. Probably you need to consult the one who said this.

On the more, the evidence presented in support of FGM, is not authentic. Hence, there is no doubt left. Whatever, the Shiekh is saying is his personal feelings, depending upon his own cultural inclinations.

Then the sheik is a dangerous quack ?

I don't say such a thing simply as I have already explained as how a "personal opinion" could be different than the "official" one.

Allah knows the best.  

Date Posted: 02 October 2005 at 6:36pm

Well you are not very correct in quoting Sheikh Qaradawi.
I quote him because he is a well known, prominant "scholar".

Hence, your assertion is not supported but contradicted.
Surely you mean qaradawi is contradicted ?

Secondly, the issue of ethic in FGM�is intrinsically associated with culture, as is now clear,�therefore, its meaningless to find its roots from religion, though I have already provided the answer to that.
I know that but it concerns me that the likes of qaradawi allows this "culture" to perpetuate by condoning it in a pseudo islamic grounding.

I guess personal opinions are different than official ones. That is how I understand it. Personal opinions are, sometimes, held due to cultural influences, as I have alluded to, than on sound evidence.
He seems to draw his opinion from islamic teachings, does he not ?

Quote Then the sheik is a dangerous quack ?

I don't say such a thing simply as I have already explained as�how a�"personal opinion" could be different than the "official" one.
Why wouldn't you call him a dangerous quack if he is so far off the mark ? His personnal opinions also stretch to killing homosexuals and apostates. Does anybody in the muslim world take this man seriously ?

Date Posted: 02 October 2005 at 6:48pm

It disturbs me tht the quackery of qaradawi is held in such high regard in certain muslim (and leftists) quarters.

This is unfortunate. The first ayat that came down to the prophet Mohammed (PBUH) was "Iqra" meaning "read". We are to read and seek knowledge and that would mean to start with the Qur'an and then the "hadith" and so on. When we are well equipped with the treasure that has been revealed to us in the Quran and then listen to scholars we can distinguish between the right & the wrong or the truth & the false. I have little knowledge of this person that you refer to except that I heard a person preaching youngstrs that it is alright to eat at "Mcdonalds" eventhough it is not halal. This she quoted was from qaradwi. I am not in agreement with this.

Posted By: Abeer23
Date Posted: 02 October 2005 at 7:44pm

I have little knowledge of this person that you refer to except that I heard a person preaching youngstrs that it is alright to eat at "Mcdonalds" eventhough it is not halal. This she quoted was from qaradwi. I am not in agreement with this.

As salamu alaikum,  I don't mean to go off topic but I'm not really sure where else to post my response.

If indeed Yusuf Qardawi gave that fatwa it was on the basis that Muslims are permitted to eat the food of the people of the book (Jews and Christians).  However, I've found that many foreign Muslims(by foreign I mean not form the west) assume that all Americans (or westerners I suppose) are Christian; and that simply isn't the case.   Mc Donald's has never claimed to be a "Christian restaurant" so we can't assume the food there is halal for us.

Salaam

Date Posted: 02 October 2005 at 9:28pm
Abeer23, Alhamdulillah halal food is available almost everywhere in the western countries. It is available even in some supermarkets. But to issue a fatwa so loosely defeats the purpose of eating halal and the efforts of all those who have helped make halal so easily available. Eating in the homes of the people of the book yes, but again if pork or anything haram is offered no. Allah has permitted us to eat non-halal in exceptional circumstances, but I personally find it very sad that this notion is spreading even amongst those who would otherwise eat only halal.

Date Posted: 03 October 2005 at 5:37am

Maryga, I agree with you that muslims should support the efforts of other muslims in making halal food available.  BUT, that still doesn't change the legality of eating the food of the people of the book.  Allah made their food halal for us, without any clause.  And technically, the people of the book don't eat pork.  Unfortunately, Christians in the states don't always follow the rules.    Whether or not we choose to eat the food of ahl-kitab is up to us; but as I stated before, that doesn't change the hukm clearly stated in the Quran.

You're lucky to be in Australia.  While I was in China I noticed a lot of the products in the supermarket with the "halal" symbol were from Australia.  We don't have such conveniences in supermarkets in the States.  I personally have always chosen to just make trips to the halal meat market and load my freezer up.

Salaam

Date Posted: 03 October 2005 at 7:15am

Well you are not very correct in quoting Sheikh Qaradawi.
I quote him because he is a well known, prominant "scholar".

Well my dear brother Begbie, I didn't say "why" you quoted Sheikh Qardawi but incorrectly quoted him. Kindly go back and read my objection again and verify. 

Quote Surely you mean qaradawi is contradicted ?

Again, you misunderstood the whole reply of mine and same you are doing to the personal opinon of Sheikh Qardawi. 

Quote I know that but it concerns me that the likes of qaradawi allows this "culture" to perpetuate by condoning it in a pseudo islamic grounding.

I don't blame the Sheikh, but the website which is promolgating the personal opinons without qualification despite the fact that they know that the issue is "controversial" and yet forwarding a biased "personal" opinon in favour of one side without the other.

Quote He seems to draw his opinion from islamic teachings, does he not ?
As I said before, its more of a cultural influence than anything else, simply because there is not authentic source for his "official" opinon, though the website is blamed for advertising such an image.

Quote Why wouldn't you call him a dangerous quack if he is so far off the mark ?

The website is to be blamed for this issue.

His personnal opinions also stretch to killing homosexuals and apostates. Does anybody in the muslim world take this man seriously ?

This is off the topic, and hence can't comment.

Date Posted: 03 October 2005 at 6:08pm

Well my dear brother Begbie, I didn't say "why" you quoted Sheikh Qardawi but incorrectly quoted him. Kindly go back and read my objection again and verify.�
No, qaradawi is quoted correctly.

Again, you misunderstood the whole reply of mine and same you�are doing to the personal opinon of Sheikh Qardawi.
I understand perfectly what qaradawi is saying.

I don't blame the Sheikh, but the website which is promolgating the personal opinons without qualification despite the fact that they know that the issue is "controversial" and yet forwarding a biased "personal" opinon in favour of one side without the other.
So if qaradawi was to publish his opinions in a pamphlet or shout them from the rooftops, who would you blame then ?

As I said before, its more of a cultural influence than anything else, simply because there is not authentic source for his "official" opinon, though the website is blamed for advertising such an image.
So lets say a muslim convert living in Cornwall, England reads qaradawis "opinion" and decides to take action based on that opinion, how does culture fit it now ?

The website is to be blamed for this issue.
That makes no sense. Did the website influence qarardawi at all before he came to this opinion ?

This is off the topic, and hence can't comment.
Fair enough.

Date Posted: 04 October 2005 at 9:39am

Well my dear brother Begbie, I didn't say "why" you quoted Sheikh Qardawi but incorrectly quoted him. Kindly go back and read my objection again and verify. 
No, qaradawi is quoted correctly.

This is what I call wastage of time simply because people forget what they wrote and don't want to reconcile if they err. Kindly show us where did Sheikh Qardawi says "It is Shariah" as what you told us concerning him?

So lets say a muslim convert living in Cornwall, England reads qaradawis "opinion" and decides to take action based on that opinion, how does culture fit it now ?

This is again an hypothetical reasoning without understanding as what the impression is about this issue. Even so with the "personal" opinon of Shiekh, it is clearly an optional thing for those who don't want to go for it.

Date Posted: 04 October 2005 at 6:34pm

This is again an hypothetical reasoning without understanding as what the impression is about this issue. Even so with the "personal" opinon of Shiekh, it is clearly an optional thing for those who don't want to go for it.

Assalamalaikum AhmadJoyia, Ramadan Mubarak! May Allah guide eveyone of us to the right path. I have read many of your posts and have respect for the patience with which you handle every query/debate. I have no intention of causing any rift between anyone, but I could'nt help responding to what you have written only because in my view this practise is abhorrent and who are we to correct God's creation. Allah has created us in the most perfect mould and when nowhere in the Quran or hadith this practise is mentioned why do people torture others by this inhuman practise. People of respectable standing or so called scholars should be very careful in mentioning their personal opinions in public. Ignorant people value the opinions of the "shiekhs" or "scholars" and will happily put it into practise at the expense of the innocent and the weak/helpless. There would be no confusion in the minds of the people if scholars withheld their personal opinions and spoke only of what is clear and unambiguous in Islam.

Posted By: ZEA J
Date Posted: 04 October 2005 at 10:01pm
Is  he the same "scholar"who said it is ok for muslim women in UK to leave their homes whithout hijab to avoid harasement,after the london bomb attack?

-------------
"You will never attain piety and righteousness,(and eventually paradise)until you
spend of that which you love."(Al-Imran:92)

Date Posted: 09 October 2005 at 11:54am

Assalamalaikum AhmadJoyia, Ramadan Mubarak! May Allah guide eveyone of us to the right path. I have read many of your posts and have respect for the patience with which you handle every query/debate. I have no intention of causing any rift between anyone, but I could'nt help responding to what you have written only because in my view this practise is abhorrent and who are we to correct God's creation. Allah has created us in the most perfect mould and when nowhere in the Quran or hadith this practise is mentioned why do people torture others by this inhuman practise. People of respectable standing or so called scholars should be very careful in mentioning their personal opinions in public. Ignorant people value the opinions of the "shiekhs" or "scholars" and will happily put it into practise at the expense of the innocent and the weak/helpless. There would be no confusion in the minds of the people if scholars withheld their personal opinions and spoke only of what is clear and unambiguous in Islam.

Brother, I think, I don't have anything to disagree with you as I already pointed out this. Thanks anyway for the clarification.

Date Posted: 09 October 2005 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by ZEA J ZEA J wrote:

Is  he the same "scholar"who said it is ok for muslim women in UK to leave their homes whithout hijab to avoid harasement,after the london bomb attack?
My brother, this not a logical way of looking at the issue. Everyone has some weaknesses and no one is perfect. However, it doesn't imply that everyone is wrong, all the time. Isn't it? We, therefore, must look at each issue case by case and then comment accordingly rather than developing "impressions".

Date Posted: 10 October 2005 at 3:32pm

This is what I call wastage of time simply because people forget what they wrote and don't want to reconcile if they err. Kindly show us where did Sheikh Qardawi says "It is Shariah" as what you told us concerning him?
I agree my initial assertion that qaradawi said it was sharia is in errror. However, I was trying to stress that the statement I quoted was attributed to qaradawi. The emphasis was on qaradawi's statement not that it was sharia.

Even so with the "personal" opinon of Shiekh, it is clearly an optional thing�for those who don't want to go for it.
It doesn't seem optional to the young girls who suffer with this practice. So I don't agree it is optional.

Date Posted: 10 October 2005 at 7:41pm

AhmadJoyia wrote:
Even so with the "personal" opinon of Shiekh, it is clearly an optional thing for those who don't want to go for it.
It doesn't seem optional to the young girls who suffer with this practice. So I don't agree it is optional

O my dear brother, why is there so much difficulty to understand a basic issue. Here is another statement from the link you have provided by anothor Islamic scholar on the same issue "Because there is no absolute proof from the sources of Islam prescribing female circumcision, the vast majority of scholars do not include it in the OBLIGATORY rituals of Islam." If you don't find it, here is the link

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503545826 - http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamO nline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=111950354582 6

Look under " http://www.islam-online.net/fatwa/english/FatwaDisplay.asp?hFatwaID=79655 - Female Circumcision: Is It Really Obligatory? " to reach the above stated link from your provided webpage. Hope this shall pin the issue down, once for all. Inshallah.

Date Posted: 11 October 2005 at 7:23am

O my dear brother, why is there so much difficulty to understand a basic issue.
Not on my part. You keep saying it is "optional". It is not optional for the 3 year old girl being pinned down though is it ?

Here is another statement from the link you have provided by anothor Islamic scholar on the same issue "Because there is no absolute proof from the sources of Islam prescribing female circumcision, the vast majority of scholars do not include it in the OBLIGATORY rituals of Islam."
But it still ALLOWS it and in some cases, PROMOTES it as a ritual of islam.

Regards,

Francis Begbie

Date Posted: 11 October 2005 at 3:26pm

Not on my part. You keep saying it is "optional". It is not optional for the 3 year old girl being pinned down though is it ?

Yes "optional" according to people's customs and not according to Islam. Can anyone blame Islam for the cultural habits of different people of this world? I don't think so. 

Here is another statement from the link you have provided by anothor Islamic scholar on the same issue "Because there is no absolute proof from the sources of Islam prescribing female circumcision, the vast majority of scholars do not include it in the OBLIGATORY rituals of Islam."
But it still ALLOWS it and in some cases, PROMOTES it as a ritual of islam.
Francis Begbie

I think, this new webpage quite categorically makes this thing clear that this practice is not from Islam. I don't know from where the impression of "still ALLOWS it" comes in? Not from this web link at least. 

But definitely "and in some cases, PROMOTES it as a ritual of islam" is total exaggeration. Hence your assertions are nothing but false.

Posted By: rami
Date Posted: 11 October 2005 at 3:39pm
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

asslamu alaikum

Female circumsision and mutilation are not the same thing aserting they are is your ignorance, if you insist on stating that they are then your opinion is not in line with msulim scholars or islam.

If you consider male circumsision to be mutilation then there is no discussion what so ever, you are not interested in learning the corect islamic position but to simply argue for or against a religious practice.

Get your baisc premise right beffore you start an argument.

-------------
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.

Date Posted: 11 October 2005 at 6:29pm

It is unfortunate the way this debate is heading. Instead of openly condemning this practise I find now that there is a distinction made in the way this heinous practise is performed. When Allah and His Prophet have not sanctioned this practise the debate should end with open condemnation. Though it is cultural it is the Muslims in certain countries that are practising it and every scholar should condemn it outright. I see a subtle defence of this practise and it is not surprising that it is coming from some of the male quarters. The real sufferers from this are the innocent and helpless females especially children whose rights have been snatched from them even before they can speak and understand.

I do not see any ignorance on the part of the questioner.

Date Posted: 11 October 2005 at 7:59pm

assalamu alaikum

Garbage, are male children also having there rights taken away from them. Female circumsision is an islamic practice lack of exposure to traditional islam is what most people are suffering from.

I sugest you understand the difference between Circumcision and mutilation.

The only reason why it is not widely practiced as it used to be is becouse the science has almost been lost entirely and there is a real risk of  the Circumcision becoming mutilation. It was not widely prohibited before, there i a difference.

The Shafii madhhab alows female circumcision, that alone is enough to prohibit people from condeming it.
http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=1702&CATE=89 -
http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=1702&am p;am p;CATE=89

-------------
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.

Posted By: hafezabutaleb
Date Posted: 11 October 2005 at 9:31pm
My Feeling on this is That Probaly should be forbidden in islam, What is the Moral Behind it. Males are cucumsized to follow the covenent of abraham. there is no need for this. This is Not Sanctioned by Allah. Were you there When He Commanaded Thus? It is Allah Who gives plesure and pain. Wold you then Rob some one of the gifts and Graces Allah has Given?
Peace

Date Posted: 11 October 2005 at 10:50pm
Well said hafezabutaleb. Seems like the shafi madhab has received special sanctions, if what is being said is true. Shameful and sickening! May Allah save the innocent female children who before Islam used to be buried alive and now are subjected to torture under the pretense of the sanctions of the shafi madhab.

Date Posted: 11 October 2005 at 11:06pm

hafezabutaleb

If you do not know the reason behind it then do not comment, if you do not know on what basis the law in the shafii madhhab has been established then what are talking about.

It is Allah Who gives plesure and pain. Wold you then Rob some one of the gifts and Graces Allah has Given?

this clearly shows your ignorance of what female
Circumcision entails, it does not take away the womens ability to enjoy marital relation, mutilation does but as i have clearly said and shown they are not the same thing.

Maryga do you know what a madhhab even is?

what pretence are you talking about, can you tell me on what basis the shafii madhhab has made this ruling what are the reasons?

do you even know the procedure that is being discussed, and why you are calling  it mutilation.

if not then nothing you have said is of value only emotional outbursts due to a lack of understanding of the matter.

-------------

Posted By: mouhssine4
Date Posted: 12 October 2005 at 3:58am

salamou alaikoum

bismi Allah a Rahman a rahim

i though i wil visit quikly to see who is say what, but when i saw this thread, i could not help myself but writing something

mister rami, our brother is stating that femalle circomp is not forbiden

i have never heard such a thing, not in the coran nor in the hadith

since when was a madhab ,the source of revelation, while the chrition are preasing jesus to the point of equating him with God

we muslim are venerating scholors to the point of equating them with messangers

prophet mohamed peace be upon him has said and Allah knows best

i am parahrazing " the halal (permitted) is in the Holy Coran, and the Haram (forbiden, not allowed) is in the Holy Coran"

this Hadith sums it up, nobody and i mean nobody even prophet Mohamed peace be upon hin can allow or forbid something without Allah permissiong, and in the Holly Coran everything is stated

about femalle mutulation, go to the Holly Coran and read it from the begining to the end and you will not find anything refering to a such unjustified action (also barbarique to my point of view)

now, is male circom stated in the holly Coran (i am not sure) but i know that it is a sunna of our prophet Mohamed peace be upon him

and the sunna like the islam revelation is like a beam of light that started from the day of the revelation and it will end the day of judgement (proof at hand: Allah will spread and conserve that beam of light until the day of judgement, it is in the holly coran), i guess will  blow away the idea of not considering hadith and sunna as source of revelation, hadith is merly an expleanation of what is in holy coran, not an other module or extantion to the revelation of Allah swt

salam

-------------
if your heart is not clean of hatred, jalousy and all the bad things your salat or priers are not accepted

Date Posted: 12 October 2005 at 5:37am

A madhhab is where we get our fiqh from, there are four in islam. You have the privelage of living in an age where people are ignorant of there own history and what this ummah has done to preserve the message of rasul allah [sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam].

The argument you present of it not being mentioned in quran and sunnah therefore this prooves impermisability lacks scholarship and understanding of Islam. You are not a scholar of any calibr to present this as an argument for something being haram or halal, no scholar would accept that as the sole reason for impermisability.

Unless you know why the ruling is there how on earth can you argue that the rulling is wrong?

First explain the precedure which you think is wrong, what its harmfull efffects are, what specificly prohibts it in the Quran and sunnah.

You should know this, It is impermisable for an unqualified person to go into the Quran and Sunnah and make up there own fatwah!

-------------

Date Posted: 12 October 2005 at 6:02am
Bi ismilahir rahmanir raheem

Just pre-emting the next person to repeat what the last few posts have said.

I want someone to Define female cicumsision and the procedure and clearly state what is the harm and why it is mutilation!

-------------

Posted By: mouhssine4
Date Posted: 12 October 2005 at 6:38am

rami said

"Bi ismilahir rahmanir raheem

I want someone to Define female circumcision and the procedure and clearly state what is the harm and why it is mutilation! "

i will take a step back and ask you because i am ignorant about this matter or maybe we are referring to different subject so let us first reach a common ground,

1) tell me  please  what do you mean by female circumcision and what is the purpose behind it ? and did Prophet Mohamed (pbh) allowed

2) i have nothing about the scholars of Islam, but when using them as reference or explanation , tell us their studies and finding and what source you have gotten that information,

to just say madhab x say that and madhab z say this is really not helping us, and except for the holly Coran everything is subject to questioning, such as was this really said or not, did he or she really said it, in what context was it said, did he or she said something else negating the first thing said etc..

stating my point of view does not make me a scholar, nor does it portray me as making fatwa, but let me see brother rami how you will define female circumcision and what are your references that is the essence.

salam

-------------
if your heart is not clean of hatred, jalousy and all the bad things your salat or priers are not accepted

Date Posted: 12 October 2005 at 7:51am

Can�anyone�blame Islam for the cultural habits of different�people of this world? I don't think so.
While quacks like qaradawi and his ilk peddle their pseudo scholarship around and while people (like yourself) provide the apologetics necessary for it to perpetuate then I can and do lay the blame at islams door.

I think, this new webpage quite categorically makes this thing clear that this practice is not from Islam.�I don't know from where the impression of "still ALLOWS it" comes in? Not from this�web link at least.
qaradawi back up his assertion with hadith, albeit suspect hadith. Clearly qaradawi embraces the practice and tries to wrap it up islam.

But definitely�"and in some cases, PROMOTES�it as a�ritual of islam" is�total exaggeration. Hence your assertions are�nothing but�false.
My assertion is based on the evidence provided by a leading scholar of islam who is promoting the practice so I neither exaggerate or provide false information.

Date Posted: 12 October 2005 at 8:59am

Now that bro Rami has brought in totally new perspective through Shafi Madhab, I shall refrain commenting about the topic till he provides his evidence from this Madhab as on what evidence this view is based, though the website clearly rejects all such evidences of ahadith by calling them un-reliable.

As far as bro begbie's "My assertion is based on the evidence provided by a leading scholar of islam who is promoting the practice so I neither exaggerate or provide false information." is concerned, I think he already admitted his mistake of misquoting the scholar. I have nothing else to say untill any new evidence is provided "for or against" the issue.

However, one thing may be realized that in a cultural traditions (not Islamic) of FGC (not FGM), it is the women who insists on continuing their cultural traditons more than their men. Hence, within the cultral tradition, this act is not considered un-human or abhorrent of any kind. Their mothers are infact the real torch bearer of this tradition to continue this activity to this time more than their fathers. However, now this cultrual tradition has taken the umbrella of religion, where religion is not the source but an excuse of continuity. 

Date Posted: 12 October 2005 at 10:28am

Originally posted by rami rami wrote:

Bi ismilahir rahmanir raheem

I want someone to Define female cicumsision and the procedure and clearly state what is the harm and why it is mutilation!

Brother, it seems like no one can.  Could you define it for us????  jazak allahu khairan

Salaam

Date Posted: 12 October 2005 at 11:06am
Double post; deleted by Begbie

Date Posted: 12 October 2005 at 11:08am

As far as bro begbie's "My assertion is based on the evidence provided by a leading scholar of islam who is promoting the practice so I neither exaggerate or provide false information." is concerned, I think he already admitted his mistake of misquoting the scholar.
NO ! I quoted qaradawi accurately and provided a link. I admitted that I had made an error in stating qaradawi's position that FGM was sharia, which he did NOT state. Please, try not to obfuscate my point.

I have nothing else to say untill any new evidence is provided "for or against" the�issue.
What more evidence do you need ?!! qaradawi promotes FGM in the name of islam !

However,�one thing may be realized that in a cultural traditions (not Islamic) of FGC (not FGM), it is the women who�insists on continuing their cultural traditons more than�their men. Hence,�within the cultral tradition, this act is not considered un-human or abhorrent of any kind.
Yes it is. All you are doing is providing the apologetics to allow it to continue under the guise of religion.

However, now this cultrual tradition has taken the�umbrella of religion, where religion is not the source but an excuse of continuity.�
And now you contradict yourself. You are now saying the practice DOES have religious (read islamic) connotations.

Date Posted: 12 October 2005 at 3:48pm

I think its not wise for me to respond to either defend or accuse a Muslim scholar in discussions. Yes, we can critize his decisions through logical arguments but its totally a different thing if we starting calling names to him. On the more, the topic of this thread happens to be "FGM" and not cursing a scholar. Hope this distinction must be kept while postings.

Specifically responding to bro begbie, I couldn't understand your response when you say: "Yes it is". Kindly elaborate.

AhmadJoyia wrote:
However, one thing may be realized that in a cultural traditions (not Islamic) of FGC (not FGM), it is the women who insists on continuing their cultural traditons more than their men. Hence, within the cultral tradition, this act is not considered un-human or abhorrent of any kind.
Yes it is. All you are doing is providing the apologetics to allow it to continue under the guise of religion. 

Secondly, I think you got me wrong from the day one on this thread, this is why you say

AhmadJoyia wrote:
However, now this cultrual tradition has taken the umbrella of religion, where religion is not the source but an excuse of continuity. 
And now you contradict yourself. You are now saying the practice DOES have religious (read islamic) connotations. 

I hope people on this forum would use their own wisdom to understand as what my position was and is, on this topic. Indeed Allah knows the best.

Date Posted: 12 October 2005 at 4:08pm

I think its not wise for me�to respond to either defend or accuse a Muslim scholar in discussions. Yes, we can critize his decisions through logical arguments but its totally a different thing if we starting calling names to him.
The "islamic world" is filled with these quacks masquerading as "scholars". Shouldn't the ordinary muslim take a stance against these "scholars" ?

Specifically responding to�bro begbie, I couldn't understand your response when you say: "Yes it is". Kindly elaborate.
Although there is clearly a differing opinion on FGM, using qaradawi I have demonstrated that there is, in qaradaqis mind at least, a an islamic context for FGM. Yes, it was a pre islamic cultural custom, however, it would appear that islamic "scholars" have embraced this cultural tradition and in some cases (qaradawi) condones and promotes it. It is time to stop peddling this barbaric custom under any guise and stop providing the apologetics that allows it to perpetuate.    

I hope people on this forum would use their own wisdom to understand as what my position was and is, on this topic.
I doubt you even know yourself.

Date Posted: 12 October 2005 at 7:29pm

regarding labaling female circumcision as FGM, this is ignorance on the part of all those involved as not one of them could even describe the procedure or what was harmfull and why it is mutilation.

mutilation.

websters dictionary;

1 : to cut up or alter radically so as to make imperfect <the child mutilated the book with his scissors>
2 : to cut off or permanently destroy a limb or essential part of :

Dictionary.com

1:To deprive of a limb or an essential part; cripple.
2:To disfigure by damaging irreparably: mutilate a statue.
3:To make imperfect by excising or altering parts.

female circumcision is non of the above, like male circumcision it is a medical procedure.

Regarding the shafii madhhab Imam shafii himself held the opinion that the evidence for male circumcision  also  aplied to females which is why he considered it wajib.

In islam if  a thing is harmfull to the person it becomes haram for them this is an Usul principle of law. Islamic law is based on principles derived from the Quran, sunnah, shaba and tabiin. This why many people today do not understand many rulings in Islam they only look for literal evidence in the Quran and sunnah. "if it wasnt mentioned specificly then it is not right" this is a completely false understanding if it was the truth the Islam would not be for all time.

Another Usul principle taken directly from the prophets example is "Al Ada wal Urf" meaning the cutoms of a people is legislatively considered. This means that if there is nothing in Islam prohibiting the customs of a particular people then it is permisable for them to continue the practice.

regarding female circumcision, asuming Urf is why a people practice this you would have to show the harm in it for it to be made haram.

Many shafii scholars have nowday said it shouldnt be practiced becouse the number of people who know how to do this properly is decreasing and there is a real chance that mutilation could result, ie harm has been established. This isnt the same as saying the act it self is haram! and reason for trying to stop it all together. Many people do have access to medical profesionals and people who do know how to perform it properly.

FGM occurs in some tribes in africa, this is the act that most westerners are trying to abolish dont confuse this with female circumcision the two are not the same. They perform actual mutilation as a cultural practice, meaning they do this with intent it doesnt come about by accident.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 October 2005 at 7:31pm

I am closing this thread becouse of repeated insults of a Scholar, begbie read the forum guidlines beffore posting this is your first warning.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net