Print Page | Close Window

Muslims confuse Mary

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Religion - Islam
Forum Name: Interfaith Dialogue
Forum Description: It is for Interfaith dialogue, where Muslims discuss with non-Muslims. We encourge that dialogue takes place in a cordial atmosphere on various topics including religious tolerance.
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24287
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 1:12pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Muslims confuse Mary
Posted By: Experiential
Subject: Muslims confuse Mary
Date Posted: 13 November 2012 at 2:06am

According to the Quran (Surah 19:28, 3:33-36), Mary, the mother of Jesus, was the daughter of Imran or Amram, the father of Moses and Aaron.

Mary is also said to be the sister of Moses and Aaron.

Replies:
Posted By: Abu Loren
Date Posted: 13 November 2012 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Experiential Experiential wrote:

According to the Quran (Surah 19:28, 3:33-36), Mary, the mother of Jesus, was the daughter of Imran or Amram, the father of Moses and Aaron.

Are you an id iot  or just plain stu pid?

Surah 19:28 is simply referring to her lineage as she was descended from the Levi clan, Aaron (pbuh) being an ancestor.

Threads like this makes you look like the fo ol that you are.

Posted By: honeto
Date Posted: 14 November 2012 at 3:44pm
I believe whoever this Experiential guy is he is really making these senseless and irresponsible statements for some particular reason other than to really learn. Just look at the time he is up writing his posts, he is up to something, may be trying to catch H.spirit or something haha!
Caringheart makes us believe that his sense making posts are never posted, should we believe him in light of these senseless statements being posted clear.
Hasan   

-------------
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Date Posted: 14 November 2012 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by honeto honeto wrote:

I believe whoever this Experiential guy is he is really making these senseless and irresponsible statements for some particular reason other than to really learn. Just look at the time he is up writing his posts, he is up to something, may be trying to catch H.spirit or something haha!
Caringheart makes us believe that his sense making posts are never posted, should we believe him in light of these senseless statements being posted clear.
Hasan   

Well bro he's obviously a man who hates Islam as he seems to research and post anti-Islamic material. He doesn't listen to the answers we give him, he comes back again again with the same questions and posts as if what we say is going over his head. Every question he asked, we answered.

Posted By: Experiential
Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 1:39am
Originally posted by Abu Loren Abu Loren wrote:

Originally posted by Experiential Experiential wrote:

Surah 19:28 is simply referring to her lineage as she was descended from the Levi clan, Aaron (pbuh) being an ancestor.

Firstly your sarcasm and aggression is inappropriate. If you cannot engage in discussion with maturity then you have no place in this forum.

So you are saying that Mary (mother of Jesus) descended from Aaron rather than being his sister?

We know from the Injil that Mary�s cousin Elizabeth was connected with the lineage of Aaron (Luke 1:36). But there is no indication this applies to Mary. There is no record of Mary (mother of jesus) descending from Aaron except in your Quaran which was written 600 years after the Injil so why should anyone believe something written 600 years later.

Also bearing in mind there are two Marys (Jesus mother and Aron sister) and what the Quran talks about Miriam, Aaron sister and Imrans daughter then the confusion seems apparent by the writer of verse 19.33.

Posted By: Ron Webb
Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 4:28am

I wonder why there are spaces in the words I highlighted above.  Could it be to obscure those words from the moderators, because you know that they do not permit such abusive language to be used on this forum?

If Experiential's point is so easily refuted, it should be possible to do so without ad hominems and without violating the forum rules, don't you think?

-------------
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.

Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 4:32am
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

I wonder why there are spaces in the words I highlighted above.  Could it be to obscure those words from the moderators, because you know that they do not permit such abusive language to be used on this forum?

If Experiential's point is so easily refuted, it should be possible to do so without ad hominems and without violating the forum rules, don't you think?

No because the impact of what I was trying to convey would be lost. He has been trying to discredit the Holy Qur'an for some time now and he should know that no human being can achieve it.

And you can get lost!

Posted By: Salaam_Erin
Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 7:21am
Surah 19:28:

"O sister of Aaron, your father was not a man of evil, nor was your mother unchaste."

Miriam was the sister of Aaron and Moses.  Mary is the English form of Miriam.  Miriam, Aaron and Moses were the children of Amram (Imran) and Jochebed. 

Surah 3:33-36:

"Indeed, Allah chose Adam and Noah and the family of Abraham and the family of Imran [Amram in the Bible] over the worlds- Descendants, some of them from others.  And Allah is Hearing and Knowing.  Mention when they wife of Imran said, "My Lord, indeed I have pledged to You what is in my womb, concescrated, so accept this from me.  Indeed, You are the Hearing, the Knowing.  But when she delivered her, she said, "My Lord, I have delivered a female."  And Allah was most knowing of what she delviered, and the male is not like the female.  "And I have named her Mary, and I seek refuge for her in You and her descendants from Satan, the expelled." 

I'll continue with the passage, as to give some context:

So to Ayah 37 onwards:

"So her Lord accepted her with good acceptance and caused her to grow in a good manner and put her in the care of Zechariah.  Every time Zechariah entered upon her in the prayer chamber, he found her with provision.  He said, "O Mary, from where is this to you?"  She said, "It is from Allah.  Indeed, Allah provides for whom He wills without account."  At that, Zechariah called upon his Lord, saying, "My lord, grant me from Yourself a good offspring.  Indeed, You are the hearer of supplications."  So the angels called him while he was standing in prayer in the chamber, "Indeed, Allah gives you good tidings of John, confirming a word from Allah and honorable, abstaining, and a prophet from among the righteous."  (Ayahs 37-39.) 

The last bit refers to the promise of the conception, birth and career of John the Baptist.  When looking at ayahs 42-47 it is clearly Mary the mother of Jesus who is discussed.  So Mary has a brother called Aaron and a father called Imran.  And her son is Jesus. 

Moses and Aaron are called "Musa ibn Imran and "Harun ibn Imran http://www.sunnah.org/ibadaat/fasting/ascen3.htm - in the Hadiths, just the same way as Mary is called "Maryam ibnat `Imran" in Sura 66:12.

Moses and Aaron are clearly depicted as brothers in both the Qur'an and the Bible. 

Posted By: Placid
Date Posted: 15 November 2012 at 12:25pm
Hi Experiential,

Quote: According to the Quran (Surah 19:28, 3:33-36), Mary, the mother of Jesus, was the daughter of Imran or Amram, the father of Moses and Aaron.

Response: --- I am sorry about the negative responses you received when your question is straightforward and fairly easy to answer, considering the time difference, from Moses to the NT. (The others seem to treat it as a trick question.)

However in the Pickthall intro to Surah 3 it gives some explanation.
Surah 3, which is titled, �The Family of Imran� speaks of it as a �lineage�. --- So, from the intro to Surah 3:

Quote: the Family of Imran (the father of Moses) occurs as a generic name for all the Hebrew prophets from Moses to John the Baptist and Jesus Christ. --- This with the mention of the mother of Mary as the �Wife of Imran (3:34), and the words �sister of Aaron,� addressed to Mary in 19:28, have given rise to a charge of anachronism. --- End of quote.

An �anachronism� means --- A chronological error placing an event in a time in which it could not occur.
--- However, again, In Scripture it is often done in places to show �lineage.� Here are some examples:
Matthew 1:20 �But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, �Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.
21 And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.� --- (Joseph, �son of David,� --- but the two were separated by about 1000 years.)

Matthew 21:9 Then the multitudes who went before and those who followed cried out, saying:
�Hosanna to the Son of David!
�Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!�
Hosanna in the highest!�
10 And when He had come into Jerusalem, all the city was moved, saying, �Who is this?�
11 So the multitudes said, �This is Jesus, the prophet from Nazareth of Galilee.�
--- (This was called �The Triumphal Entry� --- Jesus was called �the Son of David.)

Luke 13:14 But the ruler of the synagogue answered with indignation, because Jesus had healed on the Sabbath; and He said to the crowd,
16 So ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has bound�think of it�for eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the Sabbath?� --- (A Jewess, --- �daughter of Abraham� --- separated by some 2380 years.)

The lineage of Mary had to come through the Line of King David, so Moses was born to Amram and Jocebed about 1490 BC, from the Tribe of Levi --- and David was born about 1040 BC, the son of Jesse of Bethlehem, of the tribe of Judah
And Mary, the mother of Jesus was born some years before the Calendar was restarted at the time of the birth of Jesus.

It is interesting that they related their family back to the family of Moses, the great Prophet, --- but it was from Moses� words, that Jews looked forward to another Prophet coming, who was like Moses.
Another interesting thing is that the Hebrew name Miriam was not used again in the OT, and the name Mary, was used only in the NT, and it would appear that she was named Mary (the Greek name for Miriam) ---after Miriam, of the family of Amram. --- (The beautiful story of Miriam�s wisdom is seen in Exodus 2:1-10.)    

These are quite interesting verses you mentioned in Surah 3:
35 Sher Ali: Remember when a woman of Imran said, `My Lord, I have vowed to Thee what is in my womb to be dedicated to Thy service. So do Thou accept it of me; Verily Thou alone art All-Hearing, All-Knowing.'
36 But when she was delivered of it, she said, `My Lord, I am delivered of a female,' - and ALLAH knew best of what she was delivered and the male she desired to have was not like the female she was delivered of - `and I have named her Mary, and I commit her and her offspring to Thy protection from Satan, the rejected.
--- So Mary was especially blessed of God, as seen elsewhere..

There is a little confusion with �Aaron� as the brother of Mary, since there is no clarification.
Khalifa renders it this way in Surah 19:
28 "O descendant of Aaron, your father was not a bad man, nor was your mother unchaste." --- identifying her as a descendant of the �Family of Imram.�

Placid

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net