Print Page | Close Window

salaat

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Culture & Community
Forum Name: Groups : Women (Sisters)
Forum Description: Groups : Women (Sisters)
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2229
Printed Date: 29 March 2024 at 12:07am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: salaat
Posted By: revert786
Subject: salaat
Date Posted: 09 September 2005 at 11:17am

salaams everyone...

i recently started learning how to pray....i just wanted to know from all the sisters in here i know to you guys it may seem a silly question but I dont have any family members that i could ask...

is there any differences in the way a man and a woman pray as all the web sites on the net describe it from a mans point of view...

also if we do not know many suras is it permissible to read the surah from the quran or do we have to memorise them?

kudahafiz

Replies:
Posted By: ummziba
Date Posted: 09 September 2005 at 1:45pm

Assalamu alaikum sister revert...,

Welcome!  To the best of my knowledge, there is no difference in the way men and women pray.  And it is perfectly alright to read a surah from the Qur'an until you have managed to learn some by heart.  It takes awhile, but learn one short surah at a time and you will soon know enough for prayers!

Sister, never be shy to ask any question!  That is how we all learn from one another.

Peace, ummziba.

-------------
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~

Posted By: Knowledge01
Date Posted: 10 September 2005 at 9:26am

Originally posted by revert786 revert786 wrote:

also if we do not know many suras is it permissible to read the surah from the quran or do we have to memorise them?

As Salam Alaikum sister,

I would recommend starting with memorizing the last 10 surahs of the Holy Qur'an, one at a time.  That way, after a short while, you will not have to look at the Qur'an every time you perform salat.

Posted By: Suleyman
Date Posted: 10 September 2005 at 10:17am
How to Perform Salaat,
the Islamic Ritual Prayer

Before Salaat

1. Body, clothes and place of prayer must be clean.
2. Perform http://muslim-canada.org/wudu.html - wudu (ritual ablution) if needed.
3. Women are required to cover their hair.
4. Face the Qibla, the direction of Mecca.
5. Stand erect, head down, hands at sides, feet evenly spaced. 
6. Recite Iqama (private call to prayer):
6a. Here are some sample audiofiles of the Athan (call to prayer) http://muslim-canada.org/prayer_qt.mov - Quicktime , they are very similar to Iqama: http://muslim-canada.org/adthan.rm - Real Audio   http://muslim-canada.org/athan_mp3.mp3 - MP3

7. Express intent to perform Salaat (niyyat):

I intend to offer  _____ rakats of the ____ prayer, and face the Qibla for the sake of Allah and Allah alone.
(For example: "I intend to offer the 4 rakats of the Isha prayer and face the Qibla for the sake of Allah and Allah alone.")

Begin Salaat

1. Niyyat: Stand with respect and attention; put the world behind you.
Bring hands to ears, palms forward, thumbs behind earlobes and say (The entire prayer must be recited in Arabic, but for your information we give the English translation next to the Arabic transliteration) :

Allahu Akbar God is great.
2. Qiyam: Place right hand over left, men below navel, women at chest level;
look at the ground in front of you and recite Opening Supplication (optional):

Subhaana ala humma wa bihamdika
wa tabaara kasmuka wa ta'aalaa jadduka
wa laa ilaaha ghairuk

A'uudhu billaahi minash shaitaan ar-Rajeem

Glory to You, O Allah, and Yours is the praise.

And blessed is Your Name, and exalted is Your Majesty.
And there is no deity to be worshipped but You

I seek refuge in Allah from Satan, the accursed.

3. Fatiha: Recite aloud the Fatiha, the first surah of the Qur'an. http://muslim-canada.org/Fatiha_mp3.mp3 - MP3   http://muslim-canada.org/Surah1.rm - RealAudio

Bismillaah ar-Rahman ar-Raheem

Al hamdu lillaahi rabbil 'alameen
Ar-Rahman ar-Raheem 
Maaliki yaumid Deen
Iyyaaka na'abudu wa iy yaaka nasta'een
Ihdinas siraatal mustaqeem
Siraatal ladheena an 'amta' alaihim
Ghairil maghduubi' alaihim waladaaleen
Aameen

In the name of God, the infinitely Compassionate and Merciful.
Praise be to God, Lord of all the worlds.
The Compassionate, the Merciful.
Ruler on the Day of Reckoning.
You alone do we worship, and You alone do we ask for help.
Guide us on the straight path,
the path of those who have received your grace;
not the path of those who have brought down wrath, nor of those who wander astray.
Amen.

For the first two rakats at any time of prayer, recite an additional http://muslim-canada.org/ayats.html - short selection from the Qur'an after al Fatiha.
4. Ruk'u: Hands drop to sides; bend from waist, palms on knees, back parallel to ground; look at feet.
    (While bending:) Allahu Akbar

(While bent:) Subhanna rabbiyal 'Azeem (3x) 

God is great.

Holy is my Lord, the Magnificent.

5. Qauma: Rise from bending to standing, arms at sides.

(While rising:) Sami' allaahu liman hamidah

(Response from congregation:) Rabbanaa wa lakal hamd

(Standing straight, pause:) Allahu Akbar

Allah listens to him who praises Him.

Our Lord, to You is due all praise. 

God is great.

6. Sudjood: Prostrate�hands on knees, lower slowly to kneeling position;
touch forehead, nose and palms to ground (but not elbows);
bend toes so tops of feet face the Qibla.

Subhaana rabbiyal 'Alaa (3x) 

(Pause:) Allahu Akbar

Glory to my Lord, the Most High. 

God is great.

7. Qu'ud: Rise to sitting position, looking at lap. Men turn up heel of right foot,
right toes bent; women keep both feet, soles up, under body.

(Pause:) Allahu Akbar God is  great.
8. Sudjood: Prostrate again.

Subhaana rabbiyal 'Alaa (3x) 

(Pause:) Allahu Akbar

Glory to my Lord, the Most High. 

God is great.

9. Qu'ud: Rise to sitting position;

pause pause
10. To proceed to the second and fourth rakats:
    (While rising:) Allahu Akbar God is great. Return to standing position recite http://muslim-canada.org/salaat.html#fatiha - al-Fateha
Then recite the http://muslim-canada.org/salaat.html#fatiha - Fatiha , (if this is the second rakat of any time of prayer, recite another short portion of the Qur'an); continue the second or fourth rakat with Ruku.... 

11. To complete every second rakat and the last rakat:
Remain seated and recite At-Tashahhud: http://muslim-canada.org/salaat.html#miraj - 1

To proceed to the third rakat:

(While rising:) Allahu Akbar God is  great. Return to standing position recite http://muslim-canada.org/salaat.html#fatiha - al-Fatiha
Recite the http://muslim-canada.org/salaat.html#fatiha - Fatiha and continue third rakat with Ruk'u.... 

At the end of any time of prayer (when all rakats have been completed):
Remain seated, recite http://muslim-canada.org/salaat.html#tashahhud - At-Tashahhud , and then recite the Salawat:

To Complete the Prayer:  Look over right shoulder (toward the angel recording your good deeds), then the left (toward the angel recording your wrongful deeds); say each time:

As Salaamu 'alaikum wa rahmatulaah Peace and blessings of God be upon you.
Say personal prayers with hands cupped and palms up at chest level.
Wipe face with palms.

If praying in a group, stand and greet each other individually,
saying: "May God receive our prayers."

1At-Tashahhud is a recreation of the conversation held between Allah and the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing upon him) during the night of the Heavenly Ascent (Miraj)

http://muslim-canada.org/sitedex.htm - CONTENTS PAGE | http://muslim-canada.org/index.html - HOME PAGE

<> < =1.2> <>

Date Posted: 12 September 2005 at 1:21am

salaams everyone!

thank you everyone that replied its really nice to know that all the sisters are really helpful...

just have one more question...I dont wear the hijab or jilbab yet but i know that when praying we must cover our hair...do all of you sisters where the jilbab as well or is it ok to pray with hijab and clothes that cover our legs and arms and are loose?

Posted By: firewall
Date Posted: 12 September 2005 at 7:01am

Posted By: Dayem
Date Posted: 12 September 2005 at 7:32am

salam

Hmm, but i was under the impression that the ways of prayer of men and women are different?I mean not the words but the sitting position (aftr sajood) and also the folding of hand after starting the prayer.

Or am I wrong?

was salam

-------------
"the mooslims! they're heeere!"
LOONWATCH.COM

Date Posted: 12 September 2005 at 12:27pm

salaam firewall

thanks for your reply....that doesnt sound too strict I have been wearing a long black dress that is loose is that ok with a scarf...is black ok to wear or is white better?

Posted By: rami
Date Posted: 12 September 2005 at 10:18pm
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

assalamu alaikum sister

just a minor corection, there are slight diferences in how men and women pray, women do not call out the azzan prior to prayer, if they are alone they can as i understand do iqamah for the salat.

Quote The recommended sitting posture for women in prayer, when reasonably possible without hardship or difficulty, is as follows:

Sit on the left buttock, take the feet out to the right and keep the right thigh on the left thigh. The feet must be kept horizontally on the ground and not erect. Keep the hands on the thighs with the fingers close together.

This is the method mentioned by the Fuqaha and is supported by narrations recorded in the Musnad of Imam Abu Hanifa andMussanaf ibn Abi Shayba. The author of al-Hidayastates that in this there is greater concealment for women. (Al-Hidaya, 1.111, Qadimi Kutub Khana , Pakistan )

And Allah Ta`ala Knows Best.

Quote As for the differences between how a man and woman pray, these relate to

optimality, not validity.

In short:

a) When standing, women place their hands on their chests;

b) In bowing, they bow only slightly, enough for their hands to reach their knees, while keeping arms close to their bodies;

c) In prostration, they keep their body close together, rather than spreading out, with arms on the ground;

d) In the sitting, it is best for them to keep both legs on the right of the body�

-------------
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.

Date Posted: 13 September 2005 at 12:12am

salaams everyone!

thank you everyone that replied its really nice to know that all the sisters are really helpful...

Yes,sister we are all trying to help to our sisters,as you kow from our life it is so hard doing the house works and listening the mouths of our husbands at everyday at the same time...in the limits we have we are trying to help to our sisters...take care....

Your Sister in Islam....

Date Posted: 13 September 2005 at 4:33am

Salaams, I have been given this information...is this what you sisters follow as alot of you have said there is no difference so just confused

Difference between Ladies and Men's Salah

There are some differences between how women and men�s way of performing Salat.
1) Men raise there hands all the way to the ear for Takbeer while women raise their hands only up to their shoulders.

2) In Qayam (the standing posture) Men place their hands below Navel while women place their hands on their chest.

3) Men grasp their wrist while women do not. They only place right hand on the top of left with fingers intact together.

4 ) In Ruku (the bowing posture) Men�s back is horizontal while women suppose to bend their back only far enough to touch their knees. Looking from far it will look like a bow arc. They won�t flatten their back.

5 ) In Sajdah men�s back portion is raised from ground and hands apart from body and fingers of feet twisted while women suppose to be gathered in a way so that all their body parts are close together and abdomen placed over her thighs.Both feet and ankles sticking out to the right. Lower portion of back touching the ground.

6 ) During Jalsa and Qaida (sitting between Sajdah and during Attahyat) men sit on their left ankle and their right foot�s fingers are twisted while women sit on floor and their both ankles and feet sticking out towards right hand side.

Date Posted: 13 September 2005 at 10:12am

Salaams, I have been given this information...is this what you sisters follow as alot of you have said there is no difference so just confused

Oh no sister,please do not offend may we did not realize the difference till to that time by the cause of the house works and the husbands in our life...i don't know if you married or not but they want all day and all day...the best husband is the dead husband who can not talk anymore...ohhh,i can't resist...all day and all day...

Your sister in Islam...

Date Posted: 13 September 2005 at 10:42am

assalamu alaikum sister

Men and women dont usualy watch each other while praying so many people dont know that slight diferences do exist. esentialy the prayer is the same but the above are more natural postures for a women to take during prayer.

The information is accurate it is from sunnipath.com which is run by a number of scholars from the shafii and hanafi madhhabs in Sunni Islam.

Suleyman this is a silly question after all this time but are you a sister?

-------------
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.

Date Posted: 13 September 2005 at 10:47am

Originally posted by rami rami wrote:

Suleyman this is a silly question after all this time but are you a sister?

Oh brother,i don't remember,all day and all day...

Date Posted: 13 September 2005 at 10:49am
answer the question please, this is you second warning 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 September 2005 at 10:52am

answer the question please, this is you second warning 

Sister Nausheen,where are you???,he is going to eat me!...brother i am seriously an brother...but an interesting brother,as you see....best regards...

Date Posted: 13 September 2005 at 10:53am
then why did you write "Your sister in Islam..."

-------------

Date Posted: 13 September 2005 at 10:54am

then why did you write "Your sister in Islam..."

Imitation brother,imitation...

Date Posted: 13 September 2005 at 1:13pm

to brother suleyman why are you coming to the sisters section and pretending to be a sister...you said "your sister in islam" why would you do such a thing and then make nasty comments about how the best husbands are dead husbands

i cant speak for the other sisters on this site but I find that type of thinking offensive

astaghfirrulah

Date Posted: 13 September 2005 at 11:29pm

to brother suleyman why are you coming to the sisters section and pretending to be a sister...you said "your sister in islam" why would you do such a thing and then make nasty comments about how the best husbands are dead husbands

i cant speak for the other sisters on this site but I find that type of thinking offensive

astaghfirrulah

My subhanAllah,i write from an large perspective...if the visions are incapable to understanding my style of writings this is not my fault...tho i'll consider to your caution i will not wirte anymore to whom i don't know;there is an sentence i know:"worth to who worths"....i can't resist elementary style of discussions...i love the art on the words...whom the persons i write to(give worth,trust their understandings) knows the taste of my words in the board and i am sure they took the message...i think you are an new user....wa salaam...

Date Posted: 14 September 2005 at 1:22am
Originally posted by Suleyman Suleyman wrote:

astaghfirrulah

My subhanAllah,i write from an large perspective...if the visions are incapable to understanding my style of writings this is not my fault...tho i'll consider to your caution i will not wirte anymore to whom i don't know;there is an sentence i know:"worth to who worths"....i can't resist elementary style of discussions...i love the art on the words...whom the persons i write to(give worth,trust their understandings) knows the taste of my words in the board and i am sure they took the message...i think you are an new user....wa salaam...

i still dont get why you have to pretend to be a sister. mashallah i know some brothers who are very wise so that is not the problem but you could just admit u r a brother not a sister

Date Posted: 14 September 2005 at 1:27am
Forget!!!

Date Posted: 14 September 2005 at 2:20am

Suleyman it is haram in Islam to act as a women, you should know this so please dont do it anymore.

Sister revert the brother is harmless and no ill intention was there becouse if there was the moderators would not have alowed this to occur, if you read the guidlines you will see this. His language is not clear at times so he does seem to be saying things which he doesnt mean to say, but having said that you do have a right to be upset.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 September 2005 at 2:23am

Ok...issue is over...

Date Posted: 14 September 2005 at 7:17am

Suleyman it is haram in Islam to act as a women, you should know this so please dont do it anymore.

Sister revert the brother is harmless and no ill intention was there becouse if there was the moderators would not have alowed this to occur, if you read the guidlines you will see this. His language is not clear at times so he does seem to be saying things which he doesnt mean to say, but having said that you do have a right to be upset.

its ok i am not upset but i just didnt understand the need to call yourself a sister..i wouldnt have minded a brother answering my question anyway.

I am sure you are harmless brother so i am sorry if I have offended you in any way may allah forgive me.

Date Posted: 14 September 2005 at 7:21am

Last notice!,issue is over...

Posted By: amna_ali
Date Posted: 14 September 2005 at 8:01am

Asslamualaikum dear Bord

How is everyone?

Its after a long time that I am here. Responsibilities of life make it difficult for me to visit site regularly. But I really miss forum family.

Revert 786 welcome to the forum. You are new here. Hope you will enjoy and learn a lot from this board. Though I am not an old memeber yet little time that I spent here help me develop an image of different members.

Sister Ummziba, sister Nausheen, Sister Khadija,and some others(sorry I cant remember their names) are wonderful and very helpful sisters. JAzak AllahuKhair

Brothers are also great with their unique qualities. And Brother_Suleyman, yes I find him the most jovial member of this forum. Life is not so easy and we need such people who can give us some moments when we can smile and  forget worries of life. And he provides us such moments. Jazak Allahu Khair

Brother Suleyman .

Ma Salaam

-------------
Kind words and the covering of faults are better than charity followed by injury. God is free of all wants and He is most forebearing. (Al baqra: 263)

Date Posted: 14 September 2005 at 8:32am
Jazak Allah Khair...this is our family in the board...this is my english...Jazak Allah Khair....

Posted By: Brother123
Date Posted: 23 September 2005 at 9:04am

As sister Ummzaiba said teher is no diffrence between a man and womens prayer. if you are praying in jammah ie behind men then dont lift your head up when you are in prostaion untill the mans straightened up.

Details decription of prayer iand discusion on prayer can be found on

www.shariahway.com/prayer

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net