Print Page | Close Window

Force the non-believing world to submit to Allah?

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Religion - Islam
Forum Name: Islam for non-Muslims
Forum Description: Non-Muslims can ask questions about Islam, discussion for the purpose of learning.
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18278
Printed Date: 23 April 2024 at 6:47pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Force the non-believing world to submit to Allah?
Posted By: Cyrusgames
Subject: Force the non-believing world to submit to Allah?
Date Posted: 11 February 2011 at 6:37pm

Do muslims believe that it is right to use violence to make the non-believing world submit to Allah?

Replies:
Posted By: semar
Date Posted: 12 February 2011 at 2:02am
No. We don't.

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"

Posted By: Chrysalis
Date Posted: 12 February 2011 at 2:30am
Originally posted by Cyrusgames Cyrusgames wrote:

Do muslims believe that it is right to use violence to make the non-believing world submit to Allah?

No we don't.

2:256 "There is no compulsion in religion"... (Qur'an)

-------------
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."

Posted By: Cyrusgames
Date Posted: 13 February 2011 at 10:56am
If that is true (which I thank God that it is) what about Islamic conquests in the centuries after the founding of Islam? 

Posted By: Matt Browne
Date Posted: 21 February 2011 at 7:25am
The interpretation of holy books do change over time. This applies to both the Quran and the Bible. During the early years of Christianity Romans used violence to make the non-believing world north of Rome submit to Christianity and stop worshiping Wotan, a West Germanic god corresponding to Norse Odin.

We have to be very grateful that religions evolve over time.

The biggest change to Christianity was caused by the Age of Enlightenment.

-------------
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: 21 February 2011 at 9:12pm

If that is true (which I thank God that it is) what about Islamic conquests in the centuries after the founding of Islam? 

Hi, like Matt Browne pointed out correctly - every nation used to fight wars and capture lands in the older days. Including Christians, Hindus, Persians, Romans, etc. It had more to do with 'survival of the fittest' and 'capture or be captured' rather than forcing people to submit to religion.

You will find that compared to their non-Muslim conquerors - the Muslim conquerors allowed freedom of religion in thier lands.  That is why to this day you shall find Coptic Christians (who have been christian since centuries) in Egypt - which is surrounded by, and was mostly a Muslim controlled region. Or you will find Hindus dominating the Sub-Continent - which again, has been under Muslim rule for centuries. Also, did you know for example, that during the Crusades, the only safe-haven for persecuted Jews were Muslim lands? Jews flocked to the Ottoman states because they were treated as 1st class citizens and their educational/ scientific contributions were appreciated. I would suggest you google Jews under Ottoman rule - to read for yourself.

The above examples were to illustrate my point that Muslim conquests were not to force the world to submit to Allah - they were the norm of the day. There is no compulsion in religion like I quoted from the Qur'an before. Because had that been the case, you would not find century-old non-muslim communities established in these areas. Unlike what happened to Muslims  in Bosnia, Central-Asia, Spain. They were forced to convert to Christianity, and their identities were forcibly erased.

If Muslims wanted to/ believed in forcing others into accepting their values & ideologies they would be attacking nations today. Yet in today's modern times when warfare is abhorred, it is non-Muslims enforcing their ideologies (Operation Freedom Iraq, Afghanistan) by attacking sovereign nations. Actions speak louder than words right?

-------------
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."

Posted By: tmac26
Date Posted: 30 November 2012 at 3:54pm
Ok which aya came first theres no compultion in religion or fight those who beleive not in allah or the last day until they pay the jizya and feel subued. Does the latter not abrigate the first. As islam is for all people for all time why do muslims say... Well in the time of muhammad... Or in history. You cant have no compultion in religion and force non muslims to pay the jizya. The laws in the quran are not equal with the hadiths. So for al men for all time doesnt just mean history. Is there a aya that abrogates the fight againt non beleivers?

Date Posted: 06 December 2012 at 3:51am
Originally posted by tmac26 tmac26 wrote:

You cant have no compultion in religion and force non muslims to pay the jizya. The laws in the quran are not equal with the hadiths. So for al men for all time doesnt just mean history. Is there a aya that abrogates the fight againt non beleivers?

Do you know what a Jizya is? It is a word that refers to Tax. Both Non-Muslims and Muslims need to pay taxes to their government. The Jizya Tax basically excuses the non-muslims from having to fight in the Muslim Military, and ensures that their rights are protected by the ruling Muslim government.

The Muslim civilians pay Zakat, Sadaqah, Ushr, and other sorts of religiously determined ''taxes'' (although they are not exactly like taxes, more a religious obligation) which non-muslims are excused from. Non-Muslims need not even be part of the muslim military because may not want to fight nations that belong to their faith.

-------------

Posted By: honeto
Date Posted: 07 December 2012 at 6:01pm

If that is true (which I thank God that it is) what about Islamic conquests in the centuries after the�founding of�Islam?�

Cyrus,
I thought your question was, if Muslims don't force others with violence to convert to Islam.
And the answer to that is NO.
Now you are asking a different question, but are you confusing it with your first.
Now you are asking about Islamic conquests. Conquest and Conversion are different things, I hope you realize that.
Muslim conquests were to establish God's law on the earth, to provide justice, security and equality for all, and to spread knowledge and guidance, not to force people in to becoming Muslims.
Hasan

-------------
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Posted By: Webber
Date Posted: 17 February 2013 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

Do you know what a Jizya is? It is a word that refers to Tax. Both Non-Muslims and Muslims need to pay taxes to their government. The Jizya Tax basically excuses the non-muslims from having to fight in the Muslim Military, and ensures that their rights are protected by the ruling Muslim government.

The Muslim civilians pay Zakat, Sadaqah, Ushr, and other sorts of religiously determined ''taxes'' (although they are not exactly like taxes, more a religious obligation) which non-muslims are excused from. Non-Muslims need not even be part of the muslim military because may not want to fight nations that belong to their faith.

Thanks for the explanation. That makes more sense. From what I understood previously it sounded more like a non-Muslim persecution tax.

-------------
I'm a Gentile.
Numb. 6:24-26

Date Posted: 04 March 2013 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Webber Webber wrote:

Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

Thanks for the explanation. That makes more sense. From what I understood previously it sounded more like a non-Muslim persecution tax.

Yup. Also, from what I have read, according to Imam Abu Hanifah (who is one of the greatest muslim scholars of Islam) it was only applicable to able-bodied,  on-muslim males who were fit for military service. Women, Children, Poor, Monks, Hermits, slaves and elderly were exempted from the Jizya. It was a military compensation (or defense tax) for non-muslims who did not want to fight in the muslim army.

-------------

Posted By: icehorse
Date Posted: 13 August 2013 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by honeto honeto wrote:

Muslim conquests were to establish God's law on the earth, to provide justice, security and equality for all, and to spread knowledge and guidance, not to force people in to becoming Muslims.

Can you clarify this? I assume that when you say "God's law" you're referring to Sharia, is that correct?

From my understanding Sharia is an essential aspect of Islam, is that not the case?

-------------
Peace through mutual understanding

Posted By: nurun_yolcusu
Date Posted: 28 August 2013 at 1:20am
�Every village must have its
headman; every needle must have
its manufacturer and craftsman.
And, as you know, every letter must
be written by someone. How, then,
can it be that so extremely well-
ordered a kingdom should have no
ruler?"

Posted By: NABA
Date Posted: 11 September 2013 at 7:38am
Sharia means the word path or way,Allah says in ch 45 v 18-Follow the path of your religion not the way of those who know not.for eg division of property rules by Allah is mentioned in ch 4 v 11-12,so we say division of property should be according to Shariah,Prophet Muhammad S.A.W(pbuh) said that the zakah should b 2.5% of savings equal to 85 gms of gold,if we implement shariah law in Sha Allah crime rates will decrease,another example we know in this era situations of rape,molestations are increasing,but if one is God fearing he will always lower his gaze when he sees a non permissible women if all men follow this in sha Allah crime rate will decrease,there R several examples that how shariah will bring peace in this world.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net