URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1787
Printed Date: 19 April 2024 at 4:38am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: moderator issues
Posted By: Yusuf.
Subject: moderator issues
Date Posted: 04 August 2005 at 9:00am

Assalamu alaikum,

I see that once again the moderators are editing a brother's posts (i.e. Akhi Whisper) and yet letting the abusive comments of a non-Muslim (i.e. niko) remain. I am not referring to his abusive comments toward me, about that I couldn't care less, but toward other believers on this board.

This preference for the kuffar over Muslims is why I resigned as moderator.

The only action I have seen against non-Muslims since my return was toward Colin and fezziwig, two long-term participants on this board. The public censure of these two individuals was uncalled for, and has apparently caused fezziwig to leave the community altogether. Why then are newcomers who abuse Muslims in every post left alone?

There must be consistency in the moderation policy if this board is to function.

I came back to this site owing to my affection for several participants, despite the fact that there has been a consistent tolerance for abusive kuffar. However, the atmosphere on this board has degenerated to such as low level that I will be taking another extended leave.

-------------
Yusuf

Replies:
Posted By: Suleyman
Date Posted: 04 August 2005 at 9:40am

Aleykum Selam Brother Yusuf,

Brother i understand what you are talking about please do not care keep on the way...karde�im bilirsin belki T�rkiye'de bir atas�z� vard�r "it havlar kervan y�r�r diye"...l�tfen b�rak onlar� kendi hallerine, bahsetti�in mant���n alt�nda bayan bir moderat�r yat�yor olduk�a dik kafal� anlay��� k�t ve gereken dersini de  ald� benden...l�tfen bo�ver onlar�...Allah'a emanet....

Posted By: ummziba
Date Posted: 04 August 2005 at 10:30am

Assalamu alaikum,

I agree with Brother Yusuf that the "atmosphere on this board has degenerated to such a low level".  It is full of non-Muslims who constantly put down our religion, our Prophet (pbuh) and Muslims.

I know the moderators are volunteers and have a very hard job.  Still, there must be someway to prevent the board from becoming the negative and upsetting way that it has now become.  Perhaps limiting the number of posts by any individual in each day would help a bit?

I don't know what the answer is and I wish I could offer some concrete suggestions, (but, I also don't feel leaving is the way to solve this, Brother Yusuf).  If all the reasonable people leave, what would be left? 

May Allah help the moderators see a way to improve the tone and atmosphere here so our little cyber community can enjoy being here, rather than feeling sad and upset by so many of the posts!

peace, ummziba.

-------------
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~

Posted By: MOCKBA
Date Posted: 05 August 2005 at 8:25am

Bismillah

Wa'alaikumu Salaam Brother Yusuf,

I regret to hear that you once resigned as a moderator, but i do share your views very much. I recently took a couple of breaks myself after having allowed a train of useless thoughts enter the tunnel of politics, conspiracies and what not.

Often there are petty discussions with rather lengthy posts which i personally feel reluctant to go through... even as a moderator. If there is something very evident i pick it up and do the cleaning (not editing).

If participants would assist in moderation by ignoring provocative topics which start with suicide attacks and end with history of creation the environment may become less polluted.

Sister Ummziba made a very important point, if all reasonable people leave what would be left...?

-------------
MOCKBA

Posted By: ZamanH
Date Posted: 05 August 2005 at 10:58pm
As Salaam Alaikum,
Sister Ummziba has been a very active member of this discussion forum since the past few months. Though, herself not a moderator, she has been performing the task of moderation on various threads. I suggest that sister Ummziba offered the responsibility of moderator, too (just in case, that hasn't been done yet).

-------------
An enemy of an enemy is a fickle friend.
There will be more women in hell than men.
..for persecution is worse than the slaughter of the enemy..(Quran 2:191)
Heaven lies under mother's feet

Posted By: Serinidad
Date Posted: 05 August 2005 at 11:00pm

Why can't there just be an "ignore" key that we could use? That would solve a lot. Can this be added? That way the abusive people would not have to affect the rest of the community here.

Date Posted: 05 August 2005 at 11:03pm
Quote The only action I have seen against non-Muslims since my return was toward Colin and fezziwig, two long-term participants on this board. The public censure of these two individuals was uncalled for, and has apparently caused fezziwig to leave the community altogether.

Some members of the forum (especially, the "senior" members) overestimate their intellect and that of each other. If they can't do any good, they should not do any harm, either. I suggest they should resign and Akhi Yusuf  be requested to take up the responsibility of being a moderator, again.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 August 2005 at 8:27pm

Bismillah

Brother ZamanH, there are four moderators, if i am not mistaken. When you identify "some", and suggest "they" should resign - you are pointing your fingers at more than one. Of these you further highlight some as being "senior".

I have much respect for the moderators on this board and have always visited the board primarily to participate in discussions and share thoughts, not to moderate. Moderators on this board are not extraordinary intellectuals, distinguished scholars, trained leaders, professional negotiators or exceptionally pious people. Even if they are, I have personally never heard them publicly announcing it or displaying their certificates of achievement.

If your description of "overestimated intellect" was the result of any of my responses, posts or actions - I resign as a moderator. I am quite alright partipating without any special powers and stars. During my lengthy stay with prolonged breaks I have seen many knowledgeable members come and go, I can only appreciate the opportunity i had to learn from them without having to let them know.

The same goes with a couple of current members and i would not mention names in fear that their intellectual capacities are somehow questioned by those who are missed.

If some want to put all airs jumping the topic and never intending to learn something - it is up to them... Others may want to gather all  information available on Islam's stand on masturbation and have deep intellectuall discourse on the subject. It is indeed pity that some of very worthy contributors find it hard to participate in such a noisy and polluted environment where thoughts and opinions are easily hijacked and turned around... 

-------------
MOCKBA

Posted By: Angel
Date Posted: 06 August 2005 at 11:31pm

Yusuf, how is favouritism any good? You are asking that muslims take precendence over non muslims, yes this is dominately an islamic site but both groups of people are here, both needs to be moderated in equal terms no favouritism shouldn't take place. Aren't the rules for ALL ?

Muslims (not all) haven't exactly been that respectful, i.e: rehmet he's muslim, all you have do to is go thru his posts and you'll see. Some muslims need also moderating.

I can't understand this precendence over non muslims. Is this how its going to be if islam took over the world to rule, as muslims clearly wish. 

Ummziba, how is limiting the number of post suppose to help ?

-------------
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~

Posted By: Israfil
Date Posted: 07 August 2005 at 12:01am

I never really would like to complain about moderators but I have noticed similar complaints raised and have myself an issue. Not naming any names but this individual knows who he is I really would like more of  a different approach. I understand the rules here are clearly stated but there are people here as brother Yusuf has mentioned, that have done far worse and their comments are allowed. As I believe in the freedom of Speech there is also the freedom of speech which can also deter others from commenting for fear of repetitive discussion. If there are to be some corrections especially to what Muslims post and since we as Muslims have a duty to help each other I would appreciate kind PM message on the reason why a person maybe silenced. I say especially Muslims as the reason I have stated above. Again I'm not saying to do so in vain even if the rules are clearly stated but to be sure if what was said was intentional or not.

The internet unfortunately cannot convey feelings or expressions so a lot of times words can be misunderstood and unfortunately the moderators too are humans and could err just as bad as we, the forum attendees.

Date Posted: 07 August 2005 at 4:15am

Assalamu alaikum,

I do not know the answers.  Just trying to help this nice cyber space stay friendly rather than antagonistic.  There is too much bickering, useless arguing, name calling and mud slinging!  The poor moderators cannot be expected to keep their eyes everywhere when this stuff is running so rampant. 

We all need to help by remembering the rules ourselves and by not engaging in useless and endless argument with those who come here to put down our faith, our Prophet (pbuh) and us.  If reasoned and respectful dialogue does not stop those kinds of posters - ignore them!  Dont' carry on endlessly trying to "win a point" that they have no intention of letting you anyway.

The World Politics and Current Events threads are so ridiculous lately it is astonding!  We all need to try harder to keep all threads to reasoned and respectful dialogue (and a little humour never hurts!).

We could all be more helpful by using the "report" button on posts we find offensive instead of just posting "where are the moderators?" - how can they know what every post says?  There are not enough hours in the day for that!

Angel, you ask: Ummziba, how is limiting the number of post suppose to help ?

Well, I don't know if it would, it's only an idea.  Perhaps it would help curb the endless bickering back and forth in some of the more political threads.  It might also help curb the endless stream of new topic after new topic that never quite get addressed because there is just so much new stuff on the boards each day.  And it might make us all think twice before wasting a post on useless argument if we know we can only post so many per day.  I don't know....

Insha'allah the regular users here will try hard to set a good example and help curb nastiness so we can all enjoy being here!

Peace, ummziba.

-------------

Posted By: abuayisha
Date Posted: 07 August 2005 at 8:33am

Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

The internet unfortunately cannot convey feelings or expressions

Expressions, certainly not, but feelings, sure it can.

Date Posted: 07 August 2005 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

Yusuf, how is favouritism any good? You are asking that muslims take precendence over non muslims, yes this is dominately an islamic site but both groups of people are here, both needs to be moderated in equal terms no favouritism shouldn't take place. Aren't the rules for ALL ?

Muslims (not all) haven't exactly been that respectful, i.e: rehmet he's muslim, all you have do to is go thru his posts and you'll see. Some muslims need also moderating.

I can't understand this precendence over non muslims. Is this how its going to be if islam took over the world to rule, as muslims clearly wish. 

Angel, my post mentions allowing non-Muslims to post hate filled, abusive messages while at the same time editing the posts of Muslims. I only want a level playing field, not preference. The policy of this board, at least when I was moderator, is to give non-Muslims more leeway than Muslims, a policy that has given free reign to abusive people to come and post dozens of antagonistic messages a day and caused endless disputes between the moderators about how far such an abusive person should be permitted to go. My position as moderator was that all abusive posts should be eliminated and people who post abusive messages on more than one occasion should be banned.

-------------
Yusuf

Posted By: Alwardah
Date Posted: 07 August 2005 at 12:06pm

As Salamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

I agree with Sis Ummziba, leaving the forum will not solve the problem, most of us are here to learn, share and increase our knowledgeable from people like you.

The moderators have their work cut out for them, so Insha Allah we must show patience and tolerance and pray to Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala to guide them and reward them for their efforts Ameen! They are doing their best.

Members who abuse the Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) in any way should be warned once and then their membership should be cancelled. There is no place for these type of people in any Islamic forum, besides that I think we should show tolerance like Ummziba said: "Dont' carry on endlessly trying to "win a point" that they have no intention of letting you anyway.

May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala make this Forum the best platform for learning about Islam and other issues. Ameen!

Salams to all

-------------
�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)

Posted By: Serinidad
Date Posted: 07 August 2005 at 12:35pm

[/QUOTE]

Angel, my post mentions allowing non-Muslims to post hate filled, abusive messages while at the same time editing the posts of Muslims. I only want a level playing field, not preference. The policy of this board, at least when I was moderator, is to give non-Muslims more leeway than Muslims, a policy that has given free reign to abusive people to come and post dozens of antagonistic messages a day and caused endless disputes between the moderators about how far such an abusive person should be permitted to go. My position as moderator was that all abusive posts should be eliminated and people who post abusive messages on more than one occasion should be banned. [/QUOTE]

I have noticed that it goes both ways here. I think it all does even out. I know I have seen many posts by someone named Jibreel and he uses "pigs" in his posts to the non-muslims and nothing has been done about that and that is offensive too. Also, I have seen non-Muslims posting things that are hate and prejudiced filled and that does not seem to be corrected either.

So, I suppose that it does all even itself out. You cannot moderate one over the other. Maybe if someone complained to a Moderator then they can look at the post. I know the moderators do not have time to read everything, the are only human.

Serinidad

Date Posted: 08 August 2005 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Serinidad Serinidad wrote:

Maybe if someone complained to a Moderator then they can look at the post. I know the moderators do not have time to read everything, the are only human.

Serinidad

I did complain about a post and a participant, and while the moderator removed one of his abusive posts, another one was left untouched and this individual continues to post abusive comments.

I actually logged on to deal with yet more maligning of the Holy Qur'an and Saiduna Rasulallah Salallahu alaihi wassalam in a different thread; the forum "Quran and Sunnah," which in the old days was an exclusively Muslim forum, has been taken over by Christian fanatics determined to waste the time of Muslims in foolish arguments that were settled centuries ago or have no basis to be argued in the first place.

But I have no more time to waste on this nonsense. Yusuf was a persona that suited this forum under more friendly conditions; some of the veterans know who "I" really am. Since the forum I once knew and enjoyed has ceased to exist, with the posting of this message Yusuf has ceased to exist.

-------------
Yusuf

Date Posted: 08 August 2005 at 11:45am

Assalamu alaikum,

May Allah guide you and Bless you, Brother Yusuf.

Peace, ummziba.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 August 2005 at 12:53pm

Es_Selam'un Aleykum,

You can't find more Yusufs on this world..if he says something then someones should rethink...

Date Posted: 08 August 2005 at 9:06pm

Bismillah

It's a bad weather in the forum these days...

-------------
MOCKBA

Posted By: abuayisha
Date Posted: 09 August 2005 at 6:32am

Originally posted by MOCKBA MOCKBA wrote:

It's a bad weather in the forum these days...

True, and reflective of overall climate in our ummah these days.

Posted By: Nausheen
Date Posted: 12 August 2005 at 3:23pm

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah,

I dont consider myself entitled to any comment, the reason being, my scarce participation on the boards lately. However will state just a few things.

One. Brother Yusuf, when you report a post, and it is removed by one of the moderators, later when other moderators would check their e-mail, the message will be something like "the post does not exist" ... I dont remember the exact words. Thus if could at times be hard to guess what is going on. I would request you to please report the very post you want to be moderated. I usually check all reports, even if I cannot check many of the discussions. Two, I sincerly hope this does not stirr up any calm waters. Islamicity should not and will not tolerate any lewd and vulgar discourses. The person who you mentioned have stopped coming, was publicly censured to make this a point - to those who participated and read this discourse. If people stop comming here in condemnation of my public censures, I am still grateful to them, because at the end of the day it makes our job easier. Although I sincerely thought this particular person is ashamed of his behavior, coz dont know why I expected more decorum from some "senior" non-muslim members.

Three, not everyone knows Brother Mockba too well, due to his long absence before the new forum was started. In the present team, he is not only the best moderator, he had been a wonderful mentor too. His suggestions, advices, and reprimands are always in line with Islamic etiquette. I guess insha allah the attack on the intellects were not directed to his person.

Lastly, everyone is human, and error prone. Please bear this in mind. Your comments, suggestions and reports are all welcome and much appreciated. Moderators are here to help the smooth running of discussion. Their presence does not however lift responsibilities from participants, weather it is to follow the rules, or to handle an individual who is not doing so.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

-------------
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]

Date Posted: 13 August 2005 at 7:08am

True sister however if humans are error prone this means Moderators are error prone if there is an error made then I would like moderators (not yourself but others) to make mention of their mistakes rather than try to make "examples" out of people and cut their comments or discussions. Frankly I'm tired of all the hypocrisy since there are other non-Muslims who talk much negativity about Islam but then again so-called freedom of speech right?

Posted By: fanaofallah
Date Posted: 13 August 2005 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Nausheen Nausheen wrote:

I dont consider myself entitled to any comment, Nausheen

lol mshaAllah that is funny

-------------
http://www.islam.forumwise.com">

Date Posted: 13 August 2005 at 9:09am
Originally posted by fanaofallah fanaofallah wrote:

Originally posted by Nausheen Nausheen wrote:

I dont consider myself entitled to any comment, Nausheen

lol mshaAllah that is funny

Well brother, I am a laughing stock these days  You make me feel so down

Nausheen

-------------

[/COLOR]

Date Posted: 13 August 2005 at 9:14am

True sister however if humans are error prone this means Moderators are error prone if there is an error made then I would like moderators (not yourself but others) to make mention of their mistakes rather than try to make "examples" out of people and cut their comments or discussions. Frankly I'm tired of all the hypocrisy since there are other non-Muslims who talk much negativity about Islam but then again so-called freedom of speech right?

Assalamualaikum Borther Israfil,

Moderators are as human as anyone else. Wish we were angels who could do things in a snap of a fingre, and never make any mistakes, but unfortunately that is not true. I dont exactly get your point. Honestly I had been reading very little on the boards since months now, and still do not feel fit to visit regularly, but i try my best. Please send a "report" if you have a special concern, insha allah I wont miss that one.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

-------------

[/COLOR]

Date Posted: 13 August 2005 at 7:58pm
LOL perhaps I was beating around the bush sorry

Date Posted: 14 August 2005 at 6:38am
Don't worry Israfil, I get you

-------------

Date Posted: 14 August 2005 at 9:17am

What I see is this, is that there is too many forums, and too much activity due everyday to an influx of new members since the new layout, for the few moderators here who are only here somewhat part time/when they can. And this leads to many threads that obviously needs to be moderatored not moderatored and behaviour from both sides checked.

And also those forums as Yusuf mentioned that once where checked before postings are not anymore.

I believe that the solution to kerbing abusive/negative terms (bashing each other) from both muslims and non muslims is to have more moderators.

And moderators from non muslims to help kerbing them and enforce the board rules also, while the islamic issues and islamic behaviour is still left to muslim moderators. Perhaps an idea to toy with and try.

I just believe that there needs to be more moderators for the amount of activity that is going on everyday.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 August 2005 at 2:07pm
LOL Angel I'm glad somebody got me....

Posted By: Jazz
Date Posted: 16 August 2005 at 3:31am

since we as Muslims have a duty to help each other I would appreciate kind PM message on the reason why a person maybe silenced. I say especially Muslims as the reason I have stated above.

Dear Israfil,

Would you please clarify what you mean by "we as Muslims have a duty to help each other".............I am hoping you mean that "each other" relates to each and every other being....................if  not (I hope not).......well therein lays the essential problem with a core fundamental principle of Mohammed's religion.........add to this a notion of superiority of the "group" and one has a recipe for division and conflict between fellow humans.

Such a principle and notion are so against the loving guidances of Jesus. (a founder and member of no religion)

Think about it!

Date Posted: 16 August 2005 at 8:02am
Originally posted by MOCKBA MOCKBA wrote:

Bismillah

Brother ZamanH, there are four moderators, if i am not mistaken. When you identify "some", and suggest "they" should resign - you are pointing your fingers at more than one. Of these you further highlight some as being "senior".

I have much respect for the moderators on this board and have always visited the board primarily to participate in discussions and share thoughts, not to moderate. Moderators on this board are not extraordinary intellectuals, distinguished scholars, trained leaders, professional negotiators or exceptionally pious people. Even if they are, I have personally never heard them publicly announcing it or displaying their certificates of achievement.

If your description of "overestimated intellect" was the result of any of my responses, posts or actions - I resign as a moderator. I am quite alright partipating without any special powers and stars. During my lengthy stay with prolonged breaks I have seen many knowledgeable members come and go, I can only appreciate the opportunity i had to learn from them without having to let them know.

The same goes with a couple of current members and i would not mention names in fear that their intellectual capacities are somehow questioned by those who are missed.

If some want to put all airs jumping the topic and never intending to learn something - it is up to them... Others may want to gather all  information available on Islam's stand on masturbation and have deep intellectuall discourse on the subject. It is indeed pity that some of very worthy contributors find it hard to participate in such a noisy and polluted environment where thoughts and opinions are easily hijacked and turned around... 

walai kum as salaam,

I am sorry brother, Mockba, its wasn't certainly you. I didn't take any name because I didn't intend to deteriorate the situation further.

-------------

Posted By: Saif Al-deen
Date Posted: 19 August 2005 at 2:55pm

Asalamu Alaikum,

Well, I can see not much has changed here. In any case, how are the folks of Islamicity doing?

Wasalam,

Liam

Date Posted: 20 August 2005 at 2:12am
Originally posted by Saif Al-deen Saif Al-deen wrote:

Asalamu Alaikum,

Well, I can see not much has changed here. In any case, how are the folks of Islamicity doing?

Wasalam,

Liam

Aleykum Selam ve Rahmetullahi ve Berakatuh Brother Saif,

Welcome back to islamicity,we are all fine though i agree with you that arguments keep goin'...no problem still good friends we have to so much share....what about you Brother?,just an visit or turning back?...take care....

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net