Forum Description: Radio, TV & Film
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16519
Printed Date: 16 April 2024 at 10:06pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Impact of Indian Media on Subcontinental Muslims
Posted By: Chrysalis
Subject: Impact of Indian Media on Subcontinental Muslims
Date Posted: 19 March 2010 at 3:06am
The video is in Urdu, but you can still glean something by watching. A short piece on how the Indian Media is having an effect on the Muslims living in the Sub-Continent...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo4O6RikUtE - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo4O6RikUtE

If it weren't saddening and true, the little kid might have been amusing . . .

-------------
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."

Replies:
Posted By: seekshidayath
Date Posted: 19 March 2010 at 4:12am
As Salamu Alaikum

Its very sad ! Even most of the Indian muslims are just carried away by it. May Allah swt steadfast us in deen and protect us from these kind of fitnahs.

Yahan kay kuch ma-baap khush hotay hain, jab unka ladka, ganaa gaata hai ! You know that.How sad !

-------------
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."

Posted By: abuayisha
Date Posted: 19 March 2010 at 7:20am
There was an Indian Muslim sister here in Los Angeles, who was collecting money for her sister in the UK.  The sister in the UK had only paid half of the dowry to the man, and after several years of marriage he was demanding payment of the other half, or he would divorce her.  Dowry practice adopted directly from Indian Hindus; completely mind blowing.  How to live with such a man?  I was told the higher the status of the man (doctor, professional, etc.), the higher amount families must pay for the man to marry the girl.  Amazing!

Date Posted: 19 March 2010 at 7:50am

Yes, brother. Here we Indian girls feel we are burden to the society, while Islam uplifted us. Its very true the higher the status / profession more we need to pay. This problem is not just of India but of Pak as well. This dowry system is the reason, why many girls are crossing their ages. Its not easy to eradicate this problem as its well rooted in the society. Its clearly impact of that hindu society over us.

Apart from dowry, we have many other expenses as well, Thats the reason why people cry {show negative emotions} when a daughter is born.

Alhamdullilah, my brother's marriage was acc to sunnah, but we had to face lot from the society for not taking dowry ! Can u imagine. Infact the girl's side was feeling bad that we did not take any dowry ! This is the state of mind here.

May Allah guide us all

Yes brother, there are few organisations for it, but as said, its not easy to eradicate

-------------
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."

Date Posted: 19 March 2010 at 9:09am
Oh yes we Muslims in the subcontinent have borrowed a lot of Hindu aspects of culture after having lived together for so long ! Dowry is just one of the aspects. . .

However thankfully, I have noticed that in Pakistan, Dowry is becoming less rampant, and is not as big an issue as in India. Atleast in the urban cities. . .or maybe of what I have observed around me... especially compared to before.

Not only Dowry, but the whole concept of a multi-event wedding spanning over a week including weird traditions of "Mangni" (Engagement) , "Mehndi" (Henna), "Mayon" (Donno how to translate) is borrowed from Hindus. Infact the actual Nikah event seems invisible.

MashAllah Seeks that is so nice that your family broke the mould by rejecting the dowry. Even at our Uncle's wedding, we refused dowry, and none was exchanged. alhamdulilah.

Although I still don't like the fact that the girl's family has to pay for the Nikah Event . . . isn't that supposed to be a western/christian concept ? i.e Girl's family pays ?

In Islam, are both supposed to pay, or is the Man supposed to pay for the Nikah event ?

-------------
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."

Date Posted: 19 March 2010 at 9:18am
Insha Allah, there shall be no mehendi and Mayon at myside. I shall be the first girl in my community {qandaan} to abandon that, alhamdullilah. But the fact that, as we were groom's side during my brother's marriage, we cud stop that dowry system,

About Nikah event - its so simple. I envy my neighbourhood girl. We did not even know that it was her nikah. Few members from bridegroom's side visited her home and bride's close relatives {very few not exceeding 10} were invited. Nikah was in maghrib , at a masjid, and by Ishaa'n she was departed. Valima was at grand scale, i mean all relatives from both sides were invited. I hope this is exactly the sunnah, is n't it ?

-------------

Date Posted: 19 March 2010 at 9:22am

By the way we were talking of media. I heard that star plus was blocked at Pak ? Is n't that true? It seems that these serials are been dubbed and telecasted at Afghanistan.

And kindly note when i talk of Indian muslims, its not that all muslims are of that kind. Alhamdullilah, there are many families that stay away from these kinds

-------------

Date Posted: 19 March 2010 at 9:28am
Originally posted by seekshidayath seekshidayath wrote:

Insha Allah, there shall be no mehendi and Mayon at myside. I shall be the first girl in my community {qandaan} to abandon that, alhamdullilah. .

InshAllah Sister! May Allah always enable to stick to sunnah and stand up for sunnah!

You are right, the Bridegrooms' families are the ones that can break this tradition. Unfortunately not many do Confused.

Quote About Nikah event - its so simple. I envy my neighbourhood girl. We did not even know that it was her nikah. Few members from bridegroom's side visited her home and bride's close relatives {very few not exceeding 10} were invited. Nikah was in maghrib , at a masjid, and by Ishaa'n she was departed. Valima was at grand scale, i mean all relatives from both sides were invited. I hope this is exactly the sunnah, is n't it ?

Wow! I have read a hadith, that the most blessed marriages are those that cost the least trouble to both bride & bridegroom's families...

But you know sis, sometimes even if the girl insists on having things the simple way - the relatives disagree. If I ever say something like "I wont do such & such things" my relatives get annoyed! especially grandmother. For them, having lavish weddings is expressing their joy. And some get superstitious about "solemn" weddings...

-------------

Date Posted: 19 March 2010 at 9:36am

By the way we were talking of media. I heard that star plus was blocked at Pak ? Is n't that true? It seems that these serials are been dubbed and telecasted at Afghanistan.

And kindly note when i talk of Indian muslims, its not that all muslims are of that kind. Alhamdullilah, there are many families that stay away from these kinds

Haha  yes we got sidetracked. Whenever we are having a discussion of some sort, my father complains that girls have a very short attention span Embarrassed

That is true Sis. During Zia-ul-Haq's time, all sorts of Indian channels were banned in Pakistan. Including sale of Indian movies. People were not even allowed to play Indian songs in public places. Censorship was very strong back then.

Unfortunately Musharraf allowed too much Media leverage. And under the pretext of "Pak India" friendship now they telecast movies etc on some Pak channels, and even songs on radio. Ouch

PS: ofcourse sister I know not all Indian Muslims are like that (am sure there are many more SeeksHidayaths out there Tongue, inshAllah )

-------------

Date Posted: 19 March 2010 at 9:37am

Its not easy to break their mindset. Even my grandmother is the same. Anyways, am preparing my mother to face people who are surely going to criticise us for no mayon. My people know me very well that am stubborn in these matters. If at all , anyone wants to talk, let them talk to me. I made this clear. May Allah ease it.

What i feel is Chrysalis, that we youngsters need to stand up and raise our voice. Else even we become like our grandmothers. {heheee}

I had been trying all these years to awaken my cousins, and stand up against these unislamic acts.

And yes, would like to share a good news, You remember our member Wisdom seeker. Alhamdullilah, she is soon going to get married {by next month}. We met here at IC, and then, at my home as well. Alhamdullilah, that family who seeked her hand, is n't demanding any dowry at all. Its going to be simple, alhamdullilah.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 March 2010 at 9:40am

haha, we soon get side track and talk endlessly. Is n't it ! But it was Bro. Abu Ayisha, who started this topic, else we were on the topic. Is n't it ?

-------------

Date Posted: 19 March 2010 at 9:43am
Was nice discussing with you, sis. I wish you were in India, or i were at Malaysia. We would chat endlessly. Mazay kartay thay !

-------------

Date Posted: 19 March 2010 at 10:03am

Its not easy to break their mindset. Even my grandmother is the same. Anyways, am preparing my mother to face people who are surely going to criticise us for no mayon. My people know me very well that am stubborn in these matters. If at all , anyone wants to talk, let them talk to me. I made this clear. May Allah ease it.

Yes, may Allah make it easy for you to stand your ground.

Quote What i feel is Chrysalis, that we youngsters need to stand up and raise our voice. Else even we become like our grandmothers. {heheee}

I had been trying all these years to awaken my cousins, and stand up against these unislamic acts.

Very true. May Allah help you in increasing Islamic Awareness. It can be tough to do, especially with family members. They get offended very easily - so is best to tread carefully. Sometimes, you may not even be preaching to them, and just trying implement something in your life, and you get criticized by grandmothers and relatives !

And yes, would like to share a good news, You remember our member Wisdom seeker. Alhamdullilah, she is soon going to get married {by next month}. We met here at IC, and then, at my home as well. Alhamdullilah, that family who seeked her hand, is n't demanding any dowry at all. Its going to be simple, alhamdullilah.

Oh Yes, I heard the good news. Sis Wisdom and I are in touch via PM. So she told me just today! May everything go well with her inshAllah. Smile

Quote Was nice discussing with you, sis. I wish you were in India, or i were at Malaysia. We would chat endlessly. Mazay kartay thay !

Same here dear sis! Koi baat nahi, internet zindabad! meray paas aap ka email hai, main aap ko add kar loon gi :) inshAllah. Apna khayal rakhiye ga!

-------------

Date Posted: 19 March 2010 at 11:24am
Seekshidayath, be sure to figure out some way to invite/involve your virtual - online family in your wedding; masha'Allah, we stumbled upon good news!  Khair Insha'Allah - all the best for you.

Date Posted: 19 March 2010 at 11:35am
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

Seekshidayath, be sure to figure out some way to invite/involve your virtual - online family in your wedding; masha'Allah, we stumbled upon good news!  Khair Insha'Allah - all the best for you.

Lets all crash Seek's wedding via skype. Big%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: 19 March 2010 at 12:30pm

...at least open a special thread with a few tidbits of info...let us share in on the khair.

Date Posted: 19 March 2010 at 7:04pm
As Salamu Alaikum

Yes brother, sure shall invite you all. I assigned this task to my brother. He is not yet a member here. By the way, i have two more months to go.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 March 2010 at 7:38pm
Thumbs%20Up

Posted By: wisdomseeker
Date Posted: 20 March 2010 at 4:15am
Assalamu alaikum,

Jazakallahu khair to you sisters, surely feels nice to have people who are genuinely loving,like you two, alhumdulillah.

Do pray for me.

Date Posted: 20 April 2010 at 11:00am

As Salamu Alaikum

Yes brother, sure shall invite you all. I assigned this task to my brother. He is not yet a member here. By the way, i have two more months to go.

Getting close....don't forget us.Smile

Date Posted: 20 April 2010 at 8:50pm

How can i forget my online family brother Smile

Insha Allah, shall surely write to you all. Thanks a lot for remembering me.

Exactly one month from today is left ----

-------------

Date Posted: 21 April 2010 at 6:26am
Masha'Allah!  Khair, Insha'Allah.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net