URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1616
Printed Date: 19 May 2024 at 9:29am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: why cats are moody
Posted By: Yusuf.
Subject: why cats are moody
Date Posted: 25 July 2005 at 12:09pm

Apropos of absolutely nothing:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050725/ap_on_sc/feline_sweet_gene - http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050725/ap_on_sc/feline_sweet_ge ne

"Because cats can't taste sweets, they're cranky,"

-------------
Yusuf

Replies:
Posted By: ummziba
Date Posted: 25 July 2005 at 12:19pm

Assalamu alaikum,

So much for science.  My last cat, China, used to love sweets - chocolate (it's supposed to be poisonous to cats, she never believed it!), ice cream, and so on!  I guess there are exceptions to every rule, but, I've had lots of cats and only one out of all of them was cranky.

Sometimes its such a relief to just talk about "absolutely nothing"!  Thanks for the relief in the midst of all this drama, Brother Yusuf!

Peace, ummziba.

-------------
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~

Posted By: Khadija1021
Date Posted: 25 July 2005 at 1:38pm

Assalamu Alaikum

I have two cats and the only time either of them get cranky is when little kids pull on their tails or try to dress them in doll clothing. 

I had a cat once that loved water so much he would jump in the bath tub for a swim if you would let him.  He also loved pasta and would try anything to get some if I were eating it including making a mad dash for my plate.  All of my cats have loved ice cream.  One of my current cats thinks he's a human; he loves to eat french fries and to sit in arm chairs like the rest of us.  

PAZ, Khadija

-------------
Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)

Date Posted: 25 July 2005 at 1:40pm

Walaikum assalam,

My last cat was fond of brussels sprouts and olives.

-------------
Yusuf

Posted By: copenhagen
Date Posted: 25 July 2005 at 6:08pm
Can I hear

All cats are grey

--the Cure

-------------
Some people before you asked questions, and on that account lost their faith.

Posted By: human
Date Posted: 25 July 2005 at 10:19pm

And I had a cat that used to break shells and eat pea nuts. I am serious.

Human

Date Posted: 26 July 2005 at 9:24am
Originally posted by human human wrote:

And I had a cat that used to break shells and eat pea nuts. I am serious.

Human

lol I believe it.

-------------
Yusuf

Posted By: ummsaleh
Date Posted: 26 July 2005 at 9:30am
This is really a cute thread; my cat likes corn; weird huh

Posted By: ZamanH
Date Posted: 28 July 2005 at 11:10pm
Dogs are dirty, but they like the owners, not the house; cats are cleaner, but they like the house, not the owners.

-------------
An enemy of an enemy is a fickle friend.
There will be more women in hell than men.
..for persecution is worse than the slaughter of the enemy..(Quran 2:191)
Heaven lies under mother's feet

Date Posted: 28 July 2005 at 11:17pm
My cats love me...

-------------
Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)

Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 4:28am

Assalamu alaikum,

Cats are just very discriminate with their affections.  That is part of their appeal.  Myself, I'll take the aloof respect of a cat any day over the blind love of a dog .

Peace, ummziba.

-------------

Posted By: Angel
Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 7:03am

My cat plays fetch  and is a long distance runner, not short he will not go and fetch if its a short distance, he just flops down instead

And if you throw a frisby hoping the dog will go after it, forget it, the cat will, lol! and then he sits on it with a look, 'its mine its mine', lol! 

He kinda eats whatever I eat  except fruit, he gives mum this strange look everytime she eats fruit, and when you start to reach your hand out with the fruit he starts to back away, its funny

Cats can tell whether their food is cheap stuff or the expensive, they perfer the expensive.

As for moods, he does get into somekind of mood if he doesn't get his own way sometimes.

oh and what they say about cat nip, it doesn't work, I've had four other cats before this one and mum had more, none of them liked, it did nothing to them, so much for what they

My cat and my dog, they're like 2 peas in a pod, they are best friends

-------------
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~

Posted By: kim!
Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 8:19am
My 2 kittens (Weebl and Bob, nearly 2 yers old) ADORE broccoli and potato. They also quite like corn, zucchini and carrot and will also eat onion, lettuce, mushroom and cucumber, if there is some there.  

And they like meat, too. 

They love ice cream, like most cats and they love ME to bits! They follow me to the shops (just across the road) and even walk down the street with me.

THey sleep with me and cuddle and lick my nose.

Kim...

Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 8:20am
Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

And if you throw a frisby hoping the dog will go after it, forget it, the cat will, lol! and then he sits on it with a look, 'its mine its mine', lol! 

That's because you live in Australia and everything is upside down there. I know, I saw on a globe once.

-------------
Yusuf

Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 8:36am
Yusuf...LOL!!

-------------

Posted By: Suleyman
Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 9:19am

Es_Selam'un Aleykum ve Rahmetullahi ve Berakatuh,

I feed two squirrels in my house,hey!!!,the lover of the cats please answer this question:"why are your cats run behind my squirrrels for catching and trying to eating them?"...i love cats if they don't want to eat my sweet squirrels...

Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 9:40am

Assalamu alaikum,

Brother Suleyman:  the cats are just acting the way Allah made them!  Cats will chase anything that moves, especially small, quick moving things like squirrels, mice and birds.  They can't help it, it is instinct. 

It is the way of the world - cats are predators and squirrels are prey - very natural.  That is why cats are so valuable at keeping down the population of mice and rats.  It is too bad they also target things we like, like squirrels .

May Allah bless all the animals that bring us such joy!

Peace, ummziba.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 9:53am

Aleykum Selam ve Rahmetullahi ve Berakatuh Sister Ummziba,

Of course like that,do you know Turkish Cats whose eyes one of green and the other one is yellow?...take a look at that pic...

Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 9:54am
Originally posted by ummziba ummziba wrote:

That is why cats are so valuable at keeping down the population of mice and rats. 

Someone better tell New York City that   

-------------

Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 9:58am

Wa alaikum salaam, Brother Suleyman,

Your picture didn't work, but I have seen pictures of a cat called the "Turkish Van cat", who apparently love to swim!  I think they are mostly red in colour.  Most other cats really dislike the water.  Is this the same cat perhaps?

Oh, and my cat, Ziba, is afraid of little birds called "chick-a-dee's" - I guess her instinct is more for cat kibbles! 

Peace, ummziba.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 10:10am
I can see my pic...please use that link:http://www.panpet.com/kedi/b_ankara.jpg...this cat is Ankara more fine than Van,Van cats are a little bit wild...but you know more than me...wa salaam...

Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 10:18am

Assalamu alaikum,

Thanks, now I got to see her...wow!  What a beautiful cat! 

Oh, and I may have known more than you at some point (because of my age), but now, I have forgotten more than you know ! ! !

Peace, ummziba.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 10:21am
Lol..by the way i am 11!...

Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 10:21am

Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 10:22am
let's make it 29

Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 11:04am

Originally posted by Suleyman Suleyman wrote:

let's make it 29

hahaha, 29?? 9 + 2 = 11  

by the way my cat is part turkish van, and at times he trys to walk on water when I'm having a bath   

-------------

Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 2:24pm

My cat that loved to swim was a Turkish Van.  They are mostly white but have orange or black ears and tail...some have a few spots on their back.  And yes, my Turkish Van was rather wild I must say.  I should have named her Guerra (war) instead of Paz (peace).    She would go from sleep to high speed racing through the house and she could climb a wall all the way to the ceiling.  She could also dash into my plate and grab a mouth full of pasta without my having a clue what was going on.  I miss her!  

PAZ, Khadija 

-------------

Date Posted: 01 August 2005 at 7:28am

The claws on my cat, oh my god, they're a lethal weapon

And you know what, I had four other cats before oscar and I would get scratched (an hazard when having cats ) I would scar, but with this one, man I got a few scars

-------------

Date Posted: 01 August 2005 at 7:45am

Hi Angel,

Do you trim your cat's claws regularly?  I cut Ziba's every two weeks or so, and have done so since she was a kitten, so she is used to it.  Never any scratches or cuts from her.

(P.S. - I once had a cat named Oscar - he was a black, brown and tan tabby!)

Peace, ummziba.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 August 2005 at 10:48am
With all hearing these stories i wanted to buy a one...i love Iran cats they look so cool...

Date Posted: 01 August 2005 at 10:53am

a note: they want 600,-USD for a little Iranian Cat...to the strory tellers of the cats;please put your  hands to the pockets i want to see the papers...

Date Posted: 01 August 2005 at 12:50pm

Assalamu alaikum,

Ya Allah!  $600!!!  No cat is worth that - adopt a nice little stray and give it a good home.  Do you have a Humane Society in Turkey?  Here, the Humane Society takes care of unwanted cats and dogs until they are adopted.  That is where I got all my cats.

Peace, ummziba.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 August 2005 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by ummziba ummziba wrote:

Assalamu alaikum,

Ya Allah!  $600!!!  No cat is worth that - adopt a nice little stray and give it a good home.  Do you have a Humane Society in Turkey?  Here, the Humane Society takes care of unwanted cats and dogs until they are adopted.  That is where I got all my cats.

Peace, ummziba.

Aleykum Selam ve Rahmetullahi ve Berakatuh Sister Ummziba,

I had an one while i was going to high school,she has an one eye and there was an hole at the absent eye's place that everybody was scaring from him though it was really ugly a hughe one with her interesting colors also she was too old then i have discovered an secret beauty on it that she loved me too much,one day i have opened my eyes that there is an smooth thing under my head and  on the pillow it was she then i screamed...i began feeding her with the fishes which my father was loving to cook every weekend then she loved me more that one day we heard some interesting voices coming from the wardrobe,it was again she who gave birth on my mother's wedding dress that my mother had been protecting it for 25 years like her eyes,there was an hughe blood on the dress and 7 little cat was crying on she was trusting to me that chosen the place to give birth,i loved them but my mother got crazy....

The best thing is adopting one from the street then it will also be like zakat in the name of Allah as i had done to my squirrels they were on the way of death in an small box little childs were annoying them...the best one is adopting...Jazak Allah....

Posted By: islam360-com
Date Posted: 02 August 2005 at 5:23am
I love all animals, but I believe cats are special because they are the cleanest animal (they always clean themselves, especially my cat 'miau-miau'), and they are also among the most intelligent.

Is it true that cats are the only animal that cleans itself or are there other animals that cleans itself?

-------------
http://www.islam360.com

Date Posted: 02 August 2005 at 5:55am

Assalamu alaikum,

It is my understanding that birds must keep their feathers clean to keep their water-resistant quality, as well as their insulating quality (this is called "preening").  As well, I know that otters, beavers and mink regularly clean their fur using their "musk" (oil) glands in order to keep the water-resistant quality of their fur as well.

But, I do agree - cats are special!

Peace, ummziba.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net