Print Page | Close Window

Tolerance

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Religion - Islam
Forum Name: Islam for non-Muslims
Forum Description: Non-Muslims can ask questions about Islam, discussion for the purpose of learning.
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14873
Printed Date: 18 May 2024 at 3:35pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Tolerance
Posted By: Epsilon
Subject: Tolerance
Date Posted: 16 June 2009 at 11:43pm
Dear Forum members,
                                       This is my first outing on this forum. I am now retired and now have the time to try and understand matters that previously I had no time to pursue. My personal experiences of religion from childhood on have been very negative. As a consequence, after long and intense deliberations, I came to the conclusion that all religion is man-made and that I would seek truth rather than God. I am not intending to be confronting, just being open about my own beliefs.

I am very concerned about the future of the world if mankind cannot find a way for Muslims to be at peace with the rest of humanity. I have read the Quran, and other books about the history of Islam. As an unbeliever in any gods, I find that there are growing numbers of people like me who are more tolerant of others than people from any religion. I do not want to harm, insult, or make war on anyone; and I try to make the world a better place for all.

I am therefore made uneasy by all the vilification that the Quran heaps on unbelievers. I have many other misgivings about what the Quran prescribes, but the question of most concern to me is whether it is at all possible that Islam can co-exist with unbelievers, and acknowledge their right to unbelief. We are not a religion that threatens anyone on behalf of any god, we only want peace and to be allowed to live by the golden rule that predates all religions.

Replies:
Posted By: Chrysalis
Date Posted: 23 June 2009 at 6:16am
Originally posted by Epsilon Epsilon wrote:

Dear Forum members,
                                       This is my first outing on this forum. I am now retired and now have the time to try and understand matters that previously I had no time to pursue.

Hello Epsilon,

Welcome to the forums, there are some really nice people here, muslims nonmuslims alike. . . Nice to see you here. Hope you have a pleasant stay, and are an active member. . .looking forward to your participation here. 

question of most concern to me is whether it is at all possible that Islam can co-exist with unbelievers, and acknowledge their right to unbelief.

Then you need not be concerned at all. I would reccommend you read about Islamic history, back when Muslims were the superpower  - and how they coexisted peacefully with the peace-abiding nonmuslims. The Muslim society is one that revolves around preserving the family unit, and working for the collective benefit of the society - not eliminating non-muslims around the world. Smile

Even if we take a look at the non-muslims' worst fear i.e. Islamic Shariah - nonmuslims are treated very tolerantly and thier rights are protected.
Under Shariah, nonmuslims have a right to practise thier religion (or lack of) freely, build thier places of worship, live thier life according to thier religious (or lack of) principles etc. Non-Muslims dont even have to follow the laws which are set for Muslims. . . i.e. all the prohibitions and limitations that exist for Muslims within Shariah, are not applicable to Non-Muslims at all, and cannot be forced on them (drinking alcohol, eating pork, dress code, marriage laws etc). They cannot be discriminated against and have equal rights as a Muslim (except that they cannot preach thier religion to Muslims - thats about the only difference I can think of).

So Islam is perfectly tolerant towards Non-Muslims and does not enforce itself on them. The Qur'an says 'Let there be no compulsion in religion'. You need not fear.

See you around on the forums. Smile

-------------
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."

Posted By: honeto
Date Posted: 23 June 2009 at 5:30pm

Dear Forum members,
                                       This is my first outing on this forum. I am now retired and now have the time to try and understand matters that previously I had no time to pursue. My personal experiences of religion from childhood on have been very negative. As a consequence, after long and intense deliberations, I came to the conclusion that all religion is man-made and that I would seek truth rather than God. I am not intending to be confronting, just being open about my own beliefs.

I am very concerned about the future of the world if mankind cannot find a way for Muslims to be at peace with the rest of humanity. I have read the Quran, and other books about the history of Islam. As an unbeliever in any gods, I find that there are growing numbers of people like me who are more tolerant of others than people from any religion. I do not want to harm, insult, or make war on anyone; and I try to make the world a better place for all.

I am therefore made uneasy by all the vilification that the Quran heaps on unbelievers. I have many other misgivings about what the Quran prescribes, but the question of most concern to me is whether it is at all possible that Islam can co-exist with unbelievers, and acknowledge their right to unbelief. We are not a religion that threatens anyone on behalf of any god, we only want peace and to be allowed to live by the golden rule that predates all religions.

Dear Epsilon,
welcome to the forum and I hope you get your answers  as there are many learned people here on this forum that have good explaination and answers to satisfy your desire for knowlege about Islam.
I have also read Quran, and I can tell you that God does not teach us to force our belief on others. We are to only convey God's messege to others as part of our obligation but in the most honorable ways.
And after that we are told to leave it upto that person what they do with it, and what judgement awaits for him/her when accountability day arrives.
Each one of us will answer for only ourselves for what we intented, and did, none will be wronged to the smallest measure.
The One who knows all, the One who creates and provides for what we can see and what we are unable to see will show us the truth of all what we did, agaisnt us and for us both.
Because we may do so many things wrong knowingly and unknowingly, our only safty net is to aknowledge us being created and God as our Creator. Seek and follow His guidence and forgiveness. 

I am curious to know about your statment: "we only want peace and to be allowed to live by the golden rule that predates all religions" Do you believe there was a period without religion? Because Islamic teachings, through Quran tell us that the first man, Adam, knew his maker. He acknowldge, and worshiped his maker, God Almighty. Adam submitted to the will of God, and was a Muslim.
Hasan

-------------
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Posted By: Natassia
Date Posted: 21 July 2009 at 11:57am

I am made uneasy by these verses as well:

8:22

8:55

9:5

9:28-30

98:6

I always wondered how Muslims reconciled the verse about no compulsion in religion with the verses that speak about fighting people until they become Muslims as well as reconciling them with the Hadiths that describe forced conversion.  That's why I decided to research the context of the "no compulsion" verse as well as the concept of abrogation.

From the Tafsir Ibn Kathir (found at http://www.tafsir.com - www.tafsir.com ):

[2:256] There is no compulsion in religion. Verily, the right path has become distinct from the wrong path. Whoever disbelieves in Taghut and believes in Allah, then he has grasped the most trustworthy handhold that will never break. And Allah is All-Hearer, All-Knower.

Allah said, There is no compulsion in religion, meaning, "Do not force anyone to become Muslim, for Islam is plain and clear, and its proofs and evidence are plain and clear. Therefore, there is no need to force anyone to embrace Islam. Rather, whoever Allah directs to Islam, opens his heart for it and enlightens his mind, will embrace Islam with certainty. Whoever Allah blinds his heart and seals his hearing and sight, then he will not benefit from being forced to embrace Islam.''

It was reported that the Ansar were the reason behind revealing this Ayah, although its indication is general in meaning. Ibn Jarir recorded that Ibn `Abbas said [that before Islam], "When (an Ansar) woman would not bear children who would live, she would vow that if she gives birth to a child who remains alive, she would raise him as a Jew. When Banu An-Nadir (the Jewish tribe) were evacuated [from Al-Madinah], some of the children of the Ansar were being raised among them, and the Ansar said, `We will not abandon our children.' Allah revealed, There is no compulsion in religion. Verily, the right path has become distinct from the wrong path.'' Abu Dawud and An-Nasa'i also recorded this Hadith.

As for the Hadith that Imam Ahmad recorded, in which Anas said that the Messenger of Allah said to a man,"Embrace Islam.'' The man said, "I dislike it.'' The Prophet said, "Even if you dislike it.''

First, this is an authentic Hadith, with only three narrators between Imam Ahmad and the Prophet . However, it is not relevant to the subject under discussion, for the Prophet did not force that man to become Muslim. The Prophet merely invited this man to become Muslim, and he replied that he does not find himself eager to become Muslim. The Prophet said to the man that even though he dislikes embracing Islam, he should still embrace it, `for Allah will grant you sincerity and true intent.'

From the Tafsir Ibn Kathir (found at http://www.tafsir.com - www.tafsir.com ):

[2:106] Whatever a verse (revelation) do Nansakh (We abrogate) or Nunsiha (cause to be forgotten), We bring a better one or similar to it. Know you not that Allah is Able to do all things

To read about the meaning of nanskh: http://www.tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=2&tid=2938 - http://www.tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=2&tid=2938

Sahih Muslim, Book 1, Number 33:

It has been narrated on the authority of Abdullah b. 'Umar that the Messenger of Allah said: I have been commanded to fight against people till they testify that there is no god but Allah, that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah, and they establish prayer, and pay Zakat and if they do it, their blood and property are guaranteed protection on my behalf except when justified by law, and their affairs rest with Allah.

See these additional hadith:

Sahih Muslim, Book 19, Number 4294
Sahih Muslim, Book 19, Number 4366
Sahih Muslim, Book 31, Number 5917
Sahih Bukhari, Volume 1, Book 8, Number 387
Sahih Bukhari, Volume 1, Book 2, Number 24
Sahih Bukhari, Volume 5, Book 59, Number 643

Also, read the story about Abu Sufyan's forced conversion in Ibn Ishaq's Sirat Rasoul Allah.

Date Posted: 05 August 2009 at 4:46pm
Natassia,
I see you are taking up a lot of issue at once, not that I have a problem with that but only that it does not help rather confuse yourself probably and make us wander going in every direction without any purspose.
Why don't you start with one problem you are having and we go after that then next.
I find it quite interesting that in another post you mentioned to have only gone through 2nd and 4the Sura before closing the Quran, while your above post suggest that either you have reopened the Quran (good for you) or you are following leads from someone. Whatever be the case I take your concerns seriously.
Let me address of what you have of the Quran made you uneasy.
I  understand, sometimes a little bit help is needed to make sense of things that seem to be locked for some of us.
8:22 and 8:55 both say nothing different or strange, unless you live in a closet.
You reject God, you will be rejected. You reject the authority of Law of the USA, you will condemned and punished. You reject and deny your maker and His bounties He bestowed upon you, what else should be your fate?
That's what is called justice. Those who acknowledge, thank, and praise their maker must be better in the sight of a just Maker, why not.
I don't think Matthew 23:33 says anything different:
"you snakes, you brood of vipers, how will you escape being condemned to hell." I don't see you having a problem with that in your post?
or Matthew 23:15 "Woe to you, teachers of law and pharisees, you hypocrites...a son of hell as you are."
I want you  to address these two first and get done first before we ake the others.

Hasan

-------------
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Date Posted: 09 August 2009 at 6:40pm
@ honeto

You wrote: I see you are taking up a lot of issue at once, not that I have a problem with that but only that it does not help rather confuse yourself probably and make us wander going in every direction without any purspose.

I'm a multi-tasker when it comes to thinking. Sorry.

You wrote: Why don't you start with one problem you are having and we go after that then next.

I have a problem with forced conversion and forced submission and being devalued as a human.

You wrote: I find it quite interesting that in another post you mentioned to have only gone through 2nd and 4the Sura before closing the Quran, while your above post suggest that either you have reopened the Quran (good for you) or you are following leads from someone. Whatever be the case I take your concerns seriously.

I didn't say that I didn't finish the Quran. I said I had a hard time even getting through the first 4 Surahs. It was in Surah 4 that I realized the Quran was not from the God I know.

You wrote: Let me address of what you have of the Quran made you uneasy.

I understand, sometimes a little bit help is needed to make sense of things that seem to be locked for some of us.

8:22 and 8:55 both say nothing different or strange, unless you live in a closet.

You reject God, you will be rejected. You reject the authority of Law of the USA, you will condemned and punished. You reject and deny your maker and His bounties He bestowed upon you, what else should be your fate?

I don't have a problem with God rejecting me if I reject Him. That's not the problem here. What Allah says is that disbelievers are the WORST OF BEASTS (some translations: VILEST OF ANIMALS). At that point we disbelievers become less valuable than a pig.

You wrote: That's what is called justice. Those who acknowledge, thank, and praise their maker must be better in the sight of a just Maker, why not.

"you snakes, you brood of vipers, how will you escape being condemned to hell." I don't see you having a problem with that in your post?

or Matthew 23:15 "Woe to you, teachers of law and pharisees, you hypocrites...a son of hell as you are."

I want you to address these two first and get done first before we ake the others.

Jesus was talking to a very specific group of people in Matthew 23. He was not talking to disbelievers in general. He was talking to the Pharisees and teachers of the law who sit in the seat of Moses and oppress the people with their religious traditions. He was talking about hypocritical people who lead their followers astray. He was not talking about people rejecting him or his message.

But, it shouldn't matter what the Bible says since the Bible is a "corrupted book" and the Quran has completely abrogated it. This topic is not supposed to be about Jesus, Christianity, or the Bible. This topic is supposed to be about tolerance in Islam.

-------------
You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life. (John 5:39-40)

Date Posted: 12 August 2009 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Natassia Natassia wrote:

@ honeto

You wrote: I see you are taking up a lot of issue at once, not that I have a problem with that but only that it does not help rather confuse yourself probably and make us wander going in every direction without any purspose.

I'm a multi-tasker when it comes to thinking. Sorry.

You wrote: Why don't you start with one problem you are having and we go after that then next.

I have a problem with forced conversion and forced submission and being devalued as a human.

You wrote: I find it quite interesting that in another post you mentioned to have only gone through 2nd and 4the Sura before closing the Quran, while your above post suggest that either you have reopened the Quran (good for you) or you are following leads from someone. Whatever be the case I take your concerns seriously.

I didn't say that I didn't finish the Quran. I said I had a hard time even getting through the first 4 Surahs. It was in Surah 4 that I realized the Quran was not from the God I know.

You wrote: Let me address of what you have of the Quran made you uneasy.

I understand, sometimes a little bit help is needed to make sense of things that seem to be locked for some of us.

You reject God, you will be rejected. You reject the authority of Law of the USA, you will condemned and punished. You reject and deny your maker and His bounties He bestowed upon you, what else should be your fate?

I don't have a problem with God rejecting me if I reject Him. That's not the problem here. What Allah says is that disbelievers are the WORST OF BEASTS (some translations: VILEST OF ANIMALS). At that point we disbelievers become less valuable than a pig.

You wrote: That's what is called justice. Those who acknowledge, thank, and praise their maker must be better in the sight of a just Maker, why not.

I want you to address these two first and get done first before we ake the others.

Jesus was talking to a very specific group of people in Matthew 23. He was not talking to disbelievers in general. He was talking to the Pharisees and teachers of the law who sit in the seat of Moses and oppress the people with their religious traditions. He was talking about hypocritical people who lead their followers astray. He was not talking about people rejecting him or his message.

But, it shouldn't matter what the Bible says since the Bible is a "corrupted book" and the Quran has completely abrogated it. This topic is not supposed to be about Jesus, Christianity, or the Bible. This topic is supposed to be about tolerance in Islam.

Natassia,
good to hear from you again.
Its good to be multi tasker as you mentioend you are. What I meant was let's have one issue cleared first before getting into another or else it's a never ending deal and serves purpose other than learning. 

You mentioned your problem about forced conversions, I am with you on that. I ,as the Quran says, believe in no compulsion in religion. If any believe in God and follow His command does it for their own good. If anyone is forced to believe, I believe God will serve them justice in the End. I have seen (first hand) many Christians converting or we call it reverting to Islam in my life here in US and Mexico with willful submission to their Creator.
It is happening everyday despite the myths against Islam.  

God refering those who reject Him, as their rightful God, as worst of creatures?
well, aren't they just that when they will be rejected and thrown into the fire. I don't think animals will face that fate, since they will not be judged. Thus if even animals will not be in hell with them, they will probably wish to have been animals on earth, so they would not end up in hell at least. From that perspective, yes I can see why God has addressed them as such that after giving them with best of ablity and providing them with guidence, if one still choose to make a bad choice, what else will you call them. Don't you hear here in the West some men refered as pigs for their behavior? You think we have  right on vocabulary and our maker God does not?
Also, either you are not fimiliar with your own book, you profess to believe in it? Let me show you what I mean, and its just to show you how different opinion you have of the other. For me the above explaination is sufficient.

Let us look into Matthew 3:7
 " But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to where he was baptizing, he said to them: " you brood of vipers! who warned you to flee from the coming wrath." 

Let us look another one:

Matthew 23:33
" you snakes, you broad of vipers! how will you escape the condemnation to hell....."

Here is another:

Jude 1:10 "yet these men speak abusively against whatever they do not understand; and what things they do understand by instinct, like unreasoning animals, these are the very things that destroy them."

Remember, tolerance is for us toward each other, but for God, if one who is granted all the faculties, to reject them is not a question of tolerance. Such a person simply makes his/her choice to ignore/reject it to his own dome. God has said to have forgiveness for those who seek it, but the one that thinks as self sufficient and to not turn toward Him in submission and rejects his Creator will only see a fate he/she intentionally chose, and they are not going to like it.

Hasan

-------------

Date Posted: 12 August 2009 at 8:41pm
@ honeto / Hasan

Jesus was not calling people animals because of their disbelief. Because of their behaviors, they were like pits of vipers. Have you read the entire passage to keep things in context?

And in Jude, it was comparing their way of thinking and abusing to be like unreasoning animals. Jude didn't say they WERE animals, let alone the VILEST of animals. And if you read the whole passage, these were immoral people who abused their own bodies and slandered God and celestial beings.

But according to the Quran, simply because I do not believe in Muhammad that makes me a disbeliever and therefore the worst of beasts. It has nothing to do with my behavior or love for God. It has to do with believing in Muhammad. I'm sorry, but that is rather bizarre to me.

Besides, according to the New Testament, there is no vile or unclean animal (ie pig) or human (ie Gentile)...so I cannot be lowered to the level of a pig or worse since all animals are equal, and in Christ all people are equal.

You said there is no forced conversion in Islam. But I must object to that statement. There seems to be plenty of examples of forced conversion/submission:

Quran 9:5

Quran 9:29

Sahih Muslim, Book 1, Numbers 29-35

Sahih Muslim, Book 31, Number 5918

-------------
You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life. (John 5:39-40)

Posted By: Akhe Abdullah
Date Posted: 12 August 2009 at 10:35pm
Salams Hasan good job May Allah reward you for your efforts.

Date Posted: 13 August 2009 at 5:19am

You said there is no forced conversion in Islam. But I must object to that statement. There seems to be plenty of examples of forced conversion/submission:

<FONT size=3 face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">Quran 9:5

There is no compulsion.They had a choice either or,when someone is forced to do something there is no choice,(example my mother made me go to church,if I didnt I would be on punishment)ie choice)They baptise infants(no choice)You have to read more,even some of the pagans said they believed then went astray,it was there choice.Do you see any captured Americans today being forced into Islam?simple you accept it or you dont lets move on.

Date Posted: 13 August 2009 at 5:33am
Originally posted by Akhe Abdullah Akhe Abdullah wrote:

<FONT size=3 face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">Quran 9:5

There is no compulsion.They had a choice either or,when someone is forced to do something there is no choice,(example my mother made me go to church,if I didnt I would be on punishment)ie choice)They baptise infants(no choice)You have to read more,even some of the pagans said they believed then went astray,it was there choice.Do you see any captured Americans today being forced into Islam?simple you accept it or you dont lets move on.

Date Posted: 13 August 2009 at 1:56pm

@ honeto / Hasan

Jesus was not calling people animals because of their disbelief. Because of their behaviors, they were like pits of vipers. Have you read the entire passage to keep things in context?

And in Jude, it was comparing their way of thinking and abusing to be like unreasoning animals. Jude didn't say they WERE animals, let alone the VILEST of animals. And if you read the whole passage, these were immoral people who abused their own bodies and slandered God and celestial beings.

But according to the Quran, simply because I do not believe in Muhammad that makes me a disbeliever and therefore the worst of beasts. It has nothing to do with my behavior or love for God. It has to do with believing in Muhammad. I'm sorry, but that is rather bizarre to me.

Besides, according to the New Testament, there is no vile or unclean animal (ie pig) or human (ie Gentile)...so I cannot be lowered to the level of a pig or worse since all animals are equal, and in Christ all people are equal.

Quran 9:5

Quran 9:29

Sahih Muslim, Book 1, Numbers 29-35

Sahih Muslim, Book 31, Number 5918

Natassia,
I am glad we are in this talk. See a lot of what you regard as problems with the Quran is just due to problem with not studying them fully. How God All knowing can say something that is not consistent with His position as 'All aware'.
You mentioned 9:5
I read the whole Sura and its clear to me that there is nothing like what you are assuming of it. It deals with Muslims being under aggression by the enemies. Read the whole sura and you will realize that you rushed in your judgement.
Here is some part of the same sura that will explain to you the fact of the situation.
9:13 Will ye not fight people who violated their oaths, plotted to expel the Messenger, and took the aggressive by being the first (to assault) you? Do ye fear them? Nay, it is Allah Whom ye should more justly fear, if ye believe!"
I am not well versed on the Hadith, so I would not get into that.
On your not accepting the prophet, like we believe its your choice. But how can I not acknowledge his role in showing me the right way to worship my Creator? Isn't he the one who is only calling us to worship, not him, but our Creator and no one else, where is he wrong?
Would you not acknowledge and thank a brave firefighter as such who rescue you from a fire? thus we acknowledge the messenger as a servent of God, and we ask God to send His blessings on him through whom came the right guidence. Who only called us to come and worship his and our Creator. Acknowledging the messenger as a servent of God is only aknowledging his true position, nothing more, nothing less. We do not and cannot make him equal to God as Christians did with Jesus.

Hasan

-------------

Date Posted: 17 August 2009 at 7:13am

The following excerpt is from the Guardian Newspaper, August 6, 2009:

TEARS flowed freely from their eyes. Others sobbed and wept uncontrollably. As survivors of the recent sectarian crisis in some northern states narrated their ordeal and escape from the Boko Haram's den, even the most stoic among them broke down.

The scene was the cemetery of the Goodnews Church of Christ, Maiduguri, where its Pastor, George Orji, killed during the crisis by the fundamentalists, was buried yesterday in Maiduguri, Borno State capital. Three pastors and 15 other Christians were allegedly killed by the sect members during the violence.

But Northern Elders under the auspices of Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) yesterday attributed such crisis in the country to the prevailing poverty and deprivation which they said the Federal Government has failed to address.

The Arewa Leaders said that Nigerians should see the Boko Haram mayhem in Bauchi, Yobe, Borno and Kano states, with the prolonged agitation by Niger Delta militants as protests by "those who feel aggrieved by the prevailing conditions in the country", noting that "this attitude is agitated by the widening gap between our affluent and ostentatious leaders and the broad masses of the poverty stricken and deprived people".

Also present at the meeting of its Board of Trustees (BOT) under the leadership of retired Lt.-General Jeremiah Useni in Kaduna to deliberate on emerging national issues were the ACF Chairman, General Ibrahim Haruna (rtd); Secretary General, Colonel Musa Shehu (rtd) and several other Arewa leaders.

Speaking at the event, Mr. Thomas Ali, a survivor along with other Christians, claimed that apart from being forced to adopt Islam, they were not freed after their conversion.

Ali alleged that some Christians were killed by the Islamic group, who also burnt 20 churches and killed the three pastors on Monday, July 27, 2009.

He told The Guardian that he was forced by the sect members to undergo some Islamic rites of initiation but could not recall how he escaped from the group's den.

Mr. Emmanuel Ndah, who was abducted along with Orji said: "When we told them our names, they knew that we were not Moslems and asked whether we would denounce our faith and accept Islam. However, Pastor Orji encouraged us not to accept Islam but to hold unto what we believe in. He was singing and praying all through and encouraging the believers not to give up even unto death.

"It was his encouragement that kept us till the time we were released. But the men outside killed so many of us Christians who were even forced into Islam. I could not say how I survived it, but I did by the Grace of God."

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/article03//indexn2_html?pdate=060809&ptitle=Gory%20tales%20from%20Boko%20Harams%20den - http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/article03//indexn2_html?pdate=060809&ptitle=Gory%20tales%20from%20Boko%20Haram's%20den

The following excerpt is from the Associated Press, May 17, 2007:

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan  �  Christians in a Pakistani town beset by pro- javascript:siteSearch%28Taliban%29; - About 500 Pakistani Christians in Charsadda, a town in the North West Frontier Province bordering Afghanistan, received letters earlier this month telling them to close their churches and convert by Thursday or be the target of "bomb explosions."

Several Christians, a tiny minority in the predominantly Muslim country, have fled town and others are living in fear, community leaders said.

Some complained that police were not taking the threat seriously.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,273075,00.html - http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,273075,00.html

You're right, I guess.  Forced conversions don't happen anymore.  Just several hundred years ago.  And those perpetrators weren't really Muslims anyway.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 August 2009 at 7:22am
@ Hasan

Sura 9 is not about self-defense.

First of all, ayah 5 speaks about "the pagans."  It doesn't differentiate between pagans who left Muhammad alone and pagans who forced him to leave Mecca.

Secondly, if sura 9 was really about self-defense, there would have been no stipulation of a 4 month waiting period.  According to 2:217, Muslims may fight in self-defense even during the sacred month.  In fact, they may even fight simply because they are not allowed in the Ka'aba.

So, if Muslims were really under attack when sura 9 is revealed, do you honestly think the Muslims would be sitting around for 4 months under aggressive persecution waiting until the time period was up to go slay pagans wherever they found them?

And the Christians and Jews weren't attacking Muslims.  So, why was 9:29 revealed?

I came across plenty of commentary regarding 9:29.  The people of the Book are to have their authority wrested from them by the Islamic armies and they are to be subjected to the humiliation of the jizya.

Please check out the following tafsirs:

Tafsir Ibn Kathir
Tafsir al-Jalalayn
Sayyid Abul Ala Maududi - Tafhim al-Qur'an
Tanw�r al-Miqb�s min Tafs�r Ibn �Abb�s

-------------

Date Posted: 17 August 2009 at 8:46pm

You're right, I guess.� Forced conversions don't happen anymore.� Just several hundred years ago.� And those perpetrators weren't really Muslims anyway.
Several African Slaves were robbed of there freedom and religion(Islam) when they were brought to America and made to be Christians,which started a tremendous cycle throughout generations. How's that for force?True story,To be forced to do anything against your will is terrible no matter who's doing it.

Date Posted: 17 August 2009 at 9:27pm

Sura 9 is not about self-defense.[
9:1 (Y. Ali) A (declaration) of immunity from Allah and His Messenger, to those of the Pagans with whom ye have contracted mutual alliances:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Al Tawbah:The Repentenceor Bara'ah(The Disavowal) Intro.Treaties with those Pagans who have treacherously broken their terms are denounced.but four months'time is given for adjustments or repentence.Pagans to be excluded from the sacred Mosues.Infidelity to be fought(9:1-29 and C.93)                                                    The People of the Book have obscured the light of Allah,but the Truth of Allah must prevail over all.We must be ready to fight for the Faith that is in us:otherwise we shall be unworthy to uphold Allah's banner,and He will raise other people in our place(9:30-42 and C.94)[ The Hypocrites and their double dealing:their evil ways pointed out.Their punishment will be as sure as the blessing of the righteous(9:43-72 and C. 95All evil should be resisted,unless there is repentence:falsehood is not content with breach of faith but mocks all good:it should not be envied but shunned(9:73-99, and C 94)To make a long story short Surah 9 AlTawbah is about repentanceAl Tawbah is also a warning thats why it doesnt start with BismillahThere's alot you dont know about The Qur'an just because you read dont mean you understand thats you're first mistake,you will do better if you just keep to asking questions and quit acting like you know what you talking about.

Date Posted: 17 August 2009 at 9:43pm
[QUOTE=Natassia] I came across plenty of commentary regarding 9:29.� The people of the Book are to have their authority wrested from them by the Islamic armies and they are to be subjected to the humiliation of the jizya[QUOTE]We already discussed Jizyah tax in another topic you dont fight you pay, simply get over it.

Date Posted: 17 August 2009 at 9:48pm

Sura 9 is not about self-defense,Secondly, if sura 9 was really about self-defense, there would have been no stipulation of a 4 month waiting period.� According to 2:217, Muslims may fight in self-defense even during the sacred month.�
Topics discussed in this Verse:
[Fighting (and striving) in the ca'use of Allah] [Kabah:fighting at] [Masjid al Haram] [Months]

2:217 (Y. Ali) They ask thee concerning fighting in the Prohibited Month. Say: "Fighting therein is a grave (offence); but graver is it in the sight of Allah to prevent access to the path of Allah, to deny Him, to prevent access to the Sacred Mosque, and drive out its members." Tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter. Nor will they cease fighting you until they turn you back from your faith if they can. And if any of you Turn back from their faith and die in unbelief, their works will bear no fruit in this life and in the Hereafter; they will be companions of the Fire and will abide therein.
Natassia,what are you trying to say?

Date Posted: 18 August 2009 at 7:10am
[QUOTE=Akhe Abdullah]

I came across plenty of commentary regarding 9:29.  The people of the Book are to have their authority wrested from them by the Islamic armies and they are to be subjected to the humiliation of the jizya[QUOTE]We already discussed Jizyah tax in another topic you dont fight you pay, simply get over it.

You missed this part:

The people of the book are to have their authority wrested from them by the Islamic armies...

Do you understand what that means?  No?  That's okay, Maududi will explain it for you:

[29] Fight with those from among the people of the Book, who do not believe in Allah nor in the Last Day; http://www.englishtafsir.com/Quran/9/index.html#sdfootnote27sym - who do not make unlawful that which Allah and His Messenger have made unlawful, http://www.englishtafsir.com/Quran/9/index.html#sdfootnote28sym - and do not adopt the Right way as their way. (Fight with them) until they pay Jizyah with their own hands and are humbled. http://www.englishtafsir.com/Quran/9/index.html#sdfootnote29sym - http://www.englishtafsir.com/Quran/9/index.html#sdfootnote27anc - Though the people of the Book professed to believe in Allah and the Hereafter, in fact they believed in neither. For only that person really believes in Allah who acknowledges Him as the only One God and the only One Lord, and does not associate with Him any other, whatsoever, in His Being, in His characteristics, in His rights and in His powers and authority. But according to this definition of shirk both the Christians and the Jews were guilty of shirk as has been made plain in the verses that follow: therefore their profession of belief in Allah was meaningless. Likewise they did not really believe in the Hereafter, in spite of the fact that they believed in Resurrection. For it is not enough: one must also believe that on that Day absolute justice will be done on the basis of one's belief and actions. One should also believe that no ransom and no expiation and no 'spiritual' relationships with any 'saint' shall be of any avail on that Day. It is absolutely meaningless to believe in the Hereafter without this. And the Jews and the Christians had polluted their faiths because they believed that such things would protect them against justice on that Day.

http://www.englishtafsir.com/Quran/9/index.html#sdfootnote28anc - The second reason why Jihad should be waged against them is that they did not adopt the Law sent down by Allah through His Messenger. 

http://www.englishtafsir.com/Quran/9/index.html#sdfootnote29anc - This is the aim of Jihad with the Jews and the Christians and it is not to force them to become Muslims and adopt the `Islamic Way of Life.' They should be forced to pay Jizyah in order to put an end to their independence and supremacy so that they should not remain rulers and sovereigns in the land. These powers should be wrested from them by the followers of the true Faith, who should assume the sovereignty and lead others towards the Right Way, while they should become their subjects and pay jizyah.  Jizyah is paid by those non-Muslims who live as Zimmis (proteges) in an Islamic State, in exchange for the security and protection granted to them by it. This is also symbolical of the fact that they themselves agree to live in it as its subjects. This is the significance of "..... they Pay jizyah with their own hands," that is, "with full consent so that they willingly become the subjects of the Believers, who perform the duty of the vicegerents of Allah on the earth. "

At first this Command applied only to the Jews and the Christians. Then the Holy Prophet himself extended it to the Zoroastrians also. After his death, his Companions unanimously applied this rule to all the non-Muslim nations outside Arabia.

This is jizyah " of which the Muslims have been feeling apologetic during the last two centuries of their degeneration and there are still some people who continue to apologize for it. But the Way of Allah is straight and clear and does not stand in need of any apology to the rebels against Allah. Instead of offering apologies on behalf of Islam for the measure that guarantees security of life, property and faith to those who choose to live under its protection, the Muslims should feel proud of such a humane law as that of jizyah. For it is obvious that the maximum freedom that can be allowed to those who do not adopt the Way of Allah but choose to tread the ways of error is that they should be tolerated to lead the life they like. That is why the Islamic State offers them protection, if they agree to live as its Zimmis by paying jizyah, but it cannot allow that they should remain supreme rulers in any place and establish wrong ways and impose them on others. As this state of things inevitably produces chaos and disorder, it is the duty of the true Muslims to exert their utmost to bring to an end their wicked rule and bring them under a righteous order.

As regards the question, "What do the non-Muslims get in return for Jizyah " it may suffice to say that it is the price of the freedom which the Islamic State allows them in following their erroneous ways, while living in the jurisdiction of Islam and enjoying its protection. The money thus collected is spent in maintaining the righteous administration that gives them the freedom and protects their rights. This also serves as a yearly reminder to them that they have been deprived of the honor of paying Zakat in the Way of Allah, and forced to pay jizyah instead as a price of following the ways of error. 

-------------

Date Posted: 18 August 2009 at 7:26am

Sura 9 is not about self-defense,Secondly, if sura 9 was really about self-defense, there would have been no stipulation of a 4 month waiting period.  According to 2:217, Muslims may fight in self-defense even during the sacred month. 
Topics discussed in this Verse:
[Fighting (and striving) in the ca'use of Allah] [Kabah:fighting at] [Masjid al Haram] [Months]

2:217 (Y. Ali) They ask thee concerning fighting in the Prohibited Month. Say: "Fighting therein is a grave (offence); but graver is it in the sight of Allah to prevent access to the path of Allah, to deny Him, to prevent access to the Sacred Mosque, and drive out its members." Tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter. Nor will they cease fighting you until they turn you back from your faith if they can. And if any of you Turn back from their faith and die in unbelief, their works will bear no fruit in this life and in the Hereafter; they will be companions of the Fire and will abide therein.
Natassia,what are you trying to say?

I am trying to say that it is illogical to expect me to believe sura 9 is only about self-defense.  The context of those verses is not about self-defense; it's about aggressive fighting against pagans and the people of the Book.

If Muslims were actively being persecuted by pagans, Jews, and Christians then sura 9 would never have been revealed because there would have been no need for it.

[9:1-2] This is a declaration http://www.englishtafsir.com/Quran/9/index.html#sdfootnote1sym - of immunity (from obligations) by Allah and His Messenger to those mushriks with whom you had made treaties: http://www.englishtafsir.com/Quran/9/index.html#sdfootnote2sym - "You are free to move about in the land for four months more: http://www.englishtafsir.com/Quran/9/index.html#sdfootnote3sym - but you should know that you cannot frustrate the Will of Allah, and that Allah will degrade the rejecters of the Truth."

http://www.englishtafsir.com/Quran/9/index.html#sdfootnote3anc -  The respite of four months from the tenth of Zil-Haj (the date of the proclamation) to the tenth of Rabi'-uth-thani; was granted to give time to the mushriks so that they should consider their position carefully and decide whether to make preparation for war or to emigrate from the country or to accept Islam.

In other words, at the time of this revelation the mushriks were not at war with the Muslims.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 August 2009 at 7:29am

Sura 9 is not about self-defense.[
9:1 (Y. Ali) A (declaration) of immunity from Allah and His Messenger, to those of the Pagans with whom ye have contracted mutual alliances:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Al Tawbah:The Repentenceor Bara'ah(The Disavowal) Intro.Treaties with those Pagans who have treacherously broken their terms are denounced.but four months'time is given for adjustments or repentence.Pagans to be excluded from the sacred Mosues.Infidelity to be fought(9:1-29 and C.93)                                                    The People of the Book have obscured the light of Allah,but the Truth of Allah must prevail over all.We must be ready to fight for the Faith that is in us:otherwise we shall be unworthy to uphold Allah's banner,and He will raise other people in our place(9:30-42 and C.94)[ The Hypocrites and their double dealing:their evil ways pointed out.Their punishment will be as sure as the blessing of the righteous(9:43-72 and C. 95All evil should be resisted,unless there is repentence:falsehood is not content with breach of faith but mocks all good:it should not be envied but shunned(9:73-99, and C 94)To make a long story short Surah 9 AlTawbah is about repentanceAl Tawbah is also a warning thats why it doesnt start with BismillahThere's alot you dont know about The Qur'an just because you read dont mean you understand thats you're first mistake,you will do better if you just keep to asking questions and quit acting like you know what you talking about.

Where do you get your information from?  Your own personal feelings and opinions?  Are are you honestly referring to the Tafsir in order to understand the TRUE meanings?

Because I refer to the Islamic writings to keep things in context and explain the true meanings.

I provide sources and citations.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 August 2009 at 7:30am

You're right, I guess.  Forced conversions don't happen anymore.  Just several hundred years ago.  And those perpetrators weren't really Muslims anyway.
Several African Slaves were robbed of there freedom and religion(Islam) when they were brought to America and made to be Christians,which started a tremendous cycle throughout generations. hows that for force?True story,To be forced to do anything against your will is terrible no matter who's doing it.

Red herring

-------------

Date Posted: 18 August 2009 at 7:43am
The Qur'an shall be a means of salvation for the one who reads and act upon it;otherwise it would be an evidence against those who neither LEARN it or act upon it.May Allah save and guide us.(Ameen) (Nawawi,Mirqat-ul-Mafatih)

Date Posted: 18 August 2009 at 12:41pm

You're right, I guess.� Forced conversions don't happen anymore.� Just several hundred years ago.� And those perpetrators weren't really Muslims anyway.
Akhe Abdullah]Several African Slaves were robbed of there freedom and religion(Islam) when they were brought to America and made to be Christians,which started a tremendous cycle throughout generations. hows that for force?True story,To be forced to do anything against your will is terrible no matter who's doing it.

Red herring
δίκοπο μαχαίρι Troll

Date Posted: 18 August 2009 at 12:58pm

Where do you get your information from?� Your own personal feelings and opinions?� Are are you honestly referring to the Tafsir in order to understand the TRUE meanings?

Because I refer to the Islamic writings to keep things in context and explain the true meanings.

I provide sources and citations.
All the above information comes from the Quran Y Ali.Surah 9 Al Tawbah.(Iqra) Are you honestly trying to make me think you know what your talking about because you read Tafsir.A.Yusuf Ali has commentary in the Qur'an as well but you probably wont see it on the any sites.

Date Posted: 18 August 2009 at 1:10pm
Dear Natassia I have Tafsir in my Qur'an it is only commentary not words from Allah or any Prophets.

Haqa'iq at-tafsir ()
"The truths of tafsir" by abu 'abdu'r-rahman as-sulami (325/936 - 412/1021) he quotes extensively from the tafsir of ibn 'ata', an earlier sufi (d. 309/922) and companion of al-junayd, and seeks to bring out the mystical allusions in the qur'an.(Source:Taha Publication)

Tafsir (tuf-seer)
Any kind of explanation, but especially a commentary on the Qur'an. Translations of the Qur'an from Arabic into other languages such as Spanish, Urdu, or English are considered tafsirs of the Qur'an, since only the original Arabic text actually constitutes the content of the Qur'an. (Source:CIE)

Tafsir ()
Commentary of explanation of the meanings of the qur' an. firstly there is tafsir bi'l-ma'thur (tafsir by what has been transmitted, as is seen in the tafsir of ibn kathir), which conveys past opinions and secondly tafsir bi'l-ma `qul wa bi'd-daraya (tafsir by logic and comprehension), which involves interpretation. the second form of tafsir is further divided into at-tafsir al-lughawi (linguistic tafsir as in al-kashshaf); at-ta'wil, falsafa wa't-tasawwuf (allegorical, philosophical and sufic like mafatih al-ghayb of ar-razi); al-isra'iliyat (based on jewish sources, like tafsir ibn hayyan); tafsir ayat alahkam (verses which contains judgements (like ahkam al- qur 'an by ibn al-'arabi); tafsir ar-riwaya wa'd-daraya ( commentary through narration and proof like tafsir ibn kathir), and tafsir bi'r-ra'y, based on individual interpretation.(Source:Taha Publication)

Tafsir al-jalalayn ()
"Commentary of the two jalals," jalal ad-din as-suyuti's (d. 911/1505) completion of the tafsir of his teacher, jalal ad-din al-mahalli (d. 863/1459). a paraphrase of the text of the qur'an with linguistic explanations and material from hadith and variants. it is also known as al-itqan fi 'ulum at-tafsir ("the perfection of the sciences of tafsir").(Source:Taha Publication)

Tafsir al-qur'an ()
By ibn kathir, a synopsis of earlier material in an accessible form, which made it popular. he relies totally on hadith material without any opinion of his own.(Source:Taha Publication)

Tafsir at-tabari ()
Its actual title is jami' al-bayan. at-tabari's commentary on the qur'an is a compendium of earlier interpretations with his own opinions interspersed. it is valued but very large (thirty volumes).(Source:Taha Publication)

It's Qur'an first then Sunnah.Tafsir is basically commentary, it gives insight about the two.

Date Posted: 18 August 2009 at 1:23pm

Dear Natassia I have Tafsir in my Qur'an it is only commentary not words from Allah or any Prophets.

LOL  Cop out.

How can you prove that Allah only meant that 9:5 and 9:29 are to be obeyed in self-defense...not aggressive action?

-------------

Date Posted: 18 August 2009 at 1:25pm

δίκοπο μαχαίρι Troll

non sequitur  LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 18 August 2009 at 2:24pm
Volume 9, Book 92, Number 381:
Narrated Hudhaifa:

Allah's Apostle said to us, "Honesty descended from the Heavens and settled in the roots of the hearts of men (faithful believers), and then the Quran was revealed and the people read the Quran, (and learnt it from it) and also learnt it from the Sunna." Both Quran and Sunna strengthened their (the faithful believers') honesty. (See Hadith No. 208)

Date Posted: 18 August 2009 at 2:44pm
Volume 9, Book 92, Number 387:
Narrated Abu Musa:

The Prophet said, "My example and the example of what I have been sent with is that of a man who came to some people and said, 'O people! I have seen the enemy's army with my own eyes, and I am the naked warner; so protect yourselves!' Then a group of his people obeyed him and fled at night proceeding stealthily till they were safe, while another group of them disbelieved him and stayed at their places till morning when the army came upon them, and killed and ruined them completely So this is the example of that person who obeys me and follows what I have brought (the Quran and the Sunna), and the example of the one who disobeys me and disbelieves the truth I have brought."

Natassia you say:you refer to the Islamic writings to keep things in context and explain the true meanings.But you clearly don't believe in it true meanings do you?

Date Posted: 18 August 2009 at 2:59pm

Natassia you say:you refer to the Islamic writings to keep things in context and explain the true meanings.But you clearly don't believe in it true meanings do you?

No, I don't.  Isn't that fascinating?  I understand the "clear" message of the Quran.  I understand the context.  I understand the five pillars of faith, the shahadah, "science of hadith," etc.

I get it.

I just don't believe in it.

I wonder...would you blame that on pride, the shaitan, or Allah himself?

-------------

Date Posted: 19 August 2009 at 4:26am

Nope, just ignorance.

-------------
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."

Date Posted: 19 August 2009 at 5:17am
Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

Nope, just ignorance.
Ignorant of what?

-------------

Date Posted: 19 August 2009 at 6:17am

You said there is no forced conversion in Islam. But I must object to that statement. There seems to be plenty of examples of forced conversion/submission

You're right, I guess. Forced conversions don't happen anymore. Just several hundred years ago. And those perpetrators weren't really Muslims anyway.

Muslims and forced conversions? Apart from a particular �incident� you picked up in a particular newpaper, or *ahem* Fox News, can you really back up your claim that Muslims have been forcible converting people all this time?

India:

India today is a predominantly HINDU country (pagans), with various other religious communities existing there, including, Sikhs, Parsis, Zoroastrians, Jains, Christians, Jews. Muslims have ruled India for CENTURIES. Islam officially came to India in 712 CE, ..many Muslim dynasities followed - first the Delhi Sutalanate, and then the Mughals. Infact during Mughal Rule, various Hindu states actually flourished. (Vijayanagaras, Marathas, Rajputs). The Muslim rulers had CENTURIES to �forcibly convert� the nonmuslim majority in India. They didnt. Which is why India still is home to a multitude of religious beliefs.

Middle East:

Jews have lived in the ME for thousands of years, most of the time UNDER Muslim Rule
. (Also Christians & Zoroastrians) Most of the Jews that settled in the Middle East were actually fleeing from Byzantinian persectution, to a safer haven � Muslim rule. Where they were welcomed and provided security. Approximately 1million Jews lived in Arabia � most of which migrated later to Israel, USA etc for better financial prospects. They spoke Arabic and were known as �Arab Jews�. How did these �Arab Jews� survive in Arabia until now? Why weren�t they �forcibly converted� by Muslim Rulers? Interestingly, the only Jewish Holocaust that we know of, occurred when Muslims were NOT in power, and by Christians & Athiests. Holocausts are even worse than �forced conversions� � which you claim Muslims like to indulge in.

Ottoman Empire:

At one time, almost half of the known world was under muslim rule. Areas under Muslim rule were: Southeast Europe, Western Asia, North Africa. I cant even name all the countries today that were once under Muslim rule. Muslims armies advanced to countries such as Hungary, Transylvania. . .how many muslims live there today? How many were forcible converted? During that period, Jews were actually fleeing to Muslim controlled areas � in an effort to escape Christian persecution. Spain; how many forcibly converted muslims live in Spain today? Spain was once the centre of Islamic civilisation.

Coptic Christians in Egypt:

Coptic Christians are some of the earliest Christians in the world today, who embraced Christianity around the 1st century. They represent 10-20% of the Egyptian Population today � Egypt has been under Muslim rule for ages, why do these Coptic Christians still exist? Why were they not forcibly converted? They have been living peacefully, unhindered, unconverted for centuries�

Indonesia is the largest muslim country in the world today by population. Which Muslim army advanced into Indonesia to forcibly convert them?

The fundamental principle in �Islamic conversions� is Niyyah i.e. Intention. A person needs to have the intention to convert in their heart. Which is why the Islamic System does not recognize or support �Forced Conversions�. This is why Muslim preachers do not and cannot use �financial or material inducement� to convert people � unlike Christian missionaries who exploit human poverty and use the promise of better financial prospects to lure ignorant, poorer masses, so they can report numbers back to church.

What does the Qur�an have to say on forcible conversions?

Allah says: �So if they dispute with you, say �I have submitted my whole self to Allah, and so have those who follow me.� And say to the People of the Scripture and to the unlearned: �Do you also submit yourselves?� If they do, then they are on right guidance. But if they turn away, your duty is only to convey the Message. And in Allah�s sight are all of His servants.� [S�rah �l `Imr�n: 20]

Let there be no compulsion in religion. Truth has been made clear from error. Whoever rejects false worship and believes in Allah has grasped the most trustworthy handhold that never breaks. And Allah hears and knows all things.� [S�rah al-Baqarah: 256]

�If it had been your Lord�s will, all of the people on Earth would have believed. Would you then compel the people so to have them believe?� [S�rah Y�nus: 99]

The Messenger�s duty is but to proclaim the Message.� [S�rah al-M�idah: 99]

� (not compel or foricibly convert people)

Bottom-Line: Forcible Conversions are against the essence of Islam and go against its teachings. Qur�an proves it, History proves it.

Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world today (http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9704/14/egypt.islam/)

. . . who is forcibly coverting these nonmuslims today? Maybe the reason is not forcible conversions � but the fact that, how Allah puts it in the Qur�an: �Truth stands out from falsehood� (Baqarah 256)

-------------

Date Posted: 19 August 2009 at 9:36am

[IMG]http://www.islamicity.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="LOL" />� Cop out.

How can you prove that Allah only meant that 9:5 and 9:29 are to be obeyed in self-defense...not aggressive action?
First of all I said nothing about Surah 9.being about self defense.

Date Posted: 19 August 2009 at 9:40am

No, I don't.� Isn't that fascinating?� I understand the "clear" message of the Quran.� I understand the context.� I understand the five pillars of faith, the shahadah, "science of hadith," etc.

I get it.

It doesnt matter if you believe in it, since you know this and understand as you say you can be held accountable.

Date Posted: 19 August 2009 at 9:43am
As Salamu Alaikum Chrysalis,nice to see you back here.

Date Posted: 19 August 2009 at 12:03pm
Wa'alaikum salaam Akhe. Nice to be back, been away for some time... hope you keep me in your duas. :)

-------------

Date Posted: 19 August 2009 at 9:29pm

Muslims and forced conversions? Apart from a particular �incident� you picked up in a particular newpaper, or *ahem* Fox News, can you really back up your claim that Muslims have been forcible converting people all this time?

Actually, I could provide you with a lot of sources...of course it is likely that each one will be disgarded as "brainwashing by the media" or "biased sources" etc.  I've noticed that unless a news report comes from an Islamic source, it is easily disregarded by Muslims as false.  If you notice the Fox News article was simply summarizing what a separate reporting group had said.

And, since forced conversions were happening in 7th century AD Arabia by the prophet of Islam himself and his closest companions, it is not too hard for me to believe it is happening now. (And I never said that it happens all of the time.  Don't put words in my mouth.)

India:

India today is a predominantly HINDU country (pagans), with various other religious communities existing there, including, Sikhs, Parsis, Zoroastrians, Jains, Christians, Jews. Muslims have ruled India for CENTURIES. Islam officially came to India in 712 CE, ..many Muslim dynasities followed - first the Delhi Sutalanate, and then the Mughals. Infact during Mughal Rule, various Hindu states actually flourished. (Vijayanagaras, Marathas, Rajputs). The Muslim rulers had CENTURIES to �forcibly convert� the nonmuslim majority in India. They didnt. Which is why India still is home to a multitude of religious beliefs.

Can you explain how Pakistan came into existence?

Middle East:

Jews have lived in the ME for thousands of years, most of the time UNDER Muslim Rule. (Also Christians & Zoroastrians) Most of the Jews that settled in the Middle East were actually fleeing from Byzantinian persectution, to a safer haven � Muslim rule. Where they were welcomed and provided security. Approximately 1million Jews lived in Arabia � most of which migrated later to Israel, USA etc for better financial prospects. They spoke Arabic and were known as �Arab Jews�. How did these �Arab Jews� survive in Arabia until now? Why weren�t they �forcibly converted� by Muslim Rulers? Interestingly, the only Jewish Holocaust that we know of, occurred when Muslims were NOT in power, and by Christians & Athiests. Holocausts are even worse than �forced conversions� � which you claim Muslims like to indulge in.

Excuse me, but what gave the Muslims the right to rule the entire Middle East?  What gave them the right to invade and conquer North Africa and parts of Europe?  And would you like to discuss the treatment of Yemeni Jews?  Historians admit that the treatment of the Dhimmi is directly related to the security of the Islamic leadership.  The more Islam is secure, the less likely the Dhimmi are mistreated.  (And have you read about the conditions put forth by Caliph Umar for the Dhimmi?  Ibn Kathir describes it in his Tafsir for Quran 9:29.)

Ottoman Empire:

At one time, almost half of the known world was under muslim rule. Areas under Muslim rule were: Southeast Europe, Western Asia, North Africa. I cant even name all the countries today that were once under Muslim rule. Muslims armies advanced to countries such as Hungary, Transylvania. . .how many muslims live there today? How many were forcible converted? During that period, Jews were actually fleeing to Muslim controlled areas � in an effort to escape Christian persecution. Spain; how many forcibly converted muslims live in Spain today? Spain was once the centre of Islamic civilisation.

Again, what gave them the right to be there in the first place?  According to Islam, Christians and Jews are not to be forced into conversion.  No, they are to be forced to submit under Islamic rule and pay the humiliating jizya tax and be treated like 2nd class citizens.  Pagans, however, are to be forced into conversion.

Coptic Christians in Egypt:

Coptic Christians are some of the earliest Christians in the world today, who embraced Christianity around the 1st century. They represent 10-20% of the Egyptian Population today � Egypt has been under Muslim rule for ages, why do these Coptic Christians still exist? Why were they not forcibly converted? They have been living peacefully, unhindered, unconverted for centuries�

I guess you haven't been reading the news lately.  Google: "Persecution of Coptic Christians in Egypt"

Indonesia is the largest muslim country in the world today by population. Which Muslim army advanced into Indonesia to forcibly convert them?

Indonesia is not ruled by shariah law.

Not all missionaries are guilty of exploitation.  Whether Muslims should be concerned with intention or not...it didn't seem to bar the earliest Muslims, did it?

And don't think that I don't know about abrogation and the truth regarding Surah al-Baqarah:256.

It's not always about forced conversion.  Oftentimes it is about forced submission.

Quran 9:5, 9:29
Sahih Muslim, Book 1, Numbers 29 - 35
Sahih Muslim, Book 19, Numbers 4294 & 4366
Sahih Muslim, Book 31, Numbers 5917 & 5918

-------------

Date Posted: 21 August 2009 at 10:01am

� I've noticed that unless a news report comes from an Islamic source, it is easily disregarded by Muslims as false.�

Unless we muslims here are quoting our own islamic texts - we seldom use 'muslim' sources to prove ourselves. All the historical facts about the spread of islam mentioned above - can be found on nonmuslim sites and sources.

Did u read the CNN article about Islam bieng the fastest growing religion in the world? Non-muslim source.
If Islam had been forcibly converting people - the rise in muslim conversions would have fallen to minimal in the later centuries. Why is Islam STILL spreading so quickly?
Forcible conversions? or maybe there IS something in Islam that appeals to the masses. "and truth shall stand out from falsehood"

Quote Can you explain how Pakistan came into existence?

You can google it up later - fairly easy to find. I fail to understand how the creation of Pakistan proves your point of 'forced conversions'. There were some muslims in India who chose to collect in muslim majority areas and form thier own seperate government because they feared persecution by the Hindu majority... how does that in anyway relate to forced conversions?

Quote Excuse me, but what gave the Muslims the right to rule the entire Middle East?� What gave them the right to invade and conquer North Africa and parts of Europe?�

The same right that the portugese, british, americans, french, christian armies etc etc had to colonise, and build thier empires. It was the norm of the day. It happened.

In case you missed the initial crux of the discussion - you were trying to prove how muslims have been forcibly converting people all this time - or 'most of the time' however you wanna twist that. We are not discussing the ethics/moralities of empire-building. If you want to discuss that, thats a seperate issue entirely, and not one that pertains to 'islam' as such.

Bottomline: Had muslims been forcibly converting people - all the areas they ruled would be 'forcibly' muslim by now.

Quote And would you like to discuss the treatment of Yemeni Jews?�

Interesting. You say 'Yemeni' Jews. Just because (assuming for the heck of it, that this is true.) 'Yemeni' Jews were mistreated in some place at some time does not prove that Muslims were forcible converting people. Jews under Islam is a golden part of history and an amazing one at that. Jewish historians themselves have sung praises of Muslim empire and rulers for protecting them from christian persecution. (See Sallahuddin Ayyubi.) Had Muslims not harbored those fleeing Jews I'm sure the Jewish population and culture that we know today would have suffered a huge blow.

The Jews have not been persecuted more in history than by christians and nonmuslims. Muslims and Jews have shared a pretty civilized past. (beyond 1940s)

Leon Poliakov a Jewish historian who writes on anti-semitism and the holocaust speaks highly of how the Jews were treated under Muslim rule...

Quote I guess you haven't been reading the news lately.� Google: "Persecution of Coptic Christians in Egypt"

I'm sure the coptic christians have had thier bad days, like anyother community.

Fact remains - they have survived perfectly fine without bieng forcibly converted by thier muslim rulers for centuries...

Quote Indonesia is not ruled by shariah law.

So?

The point was - no muslim army ever advanced to Indonesia - how did the majority become Muslim?

Bottomline: alleged 'forced conversions' by Muslims as a whole is simply a classic e.g of nonmuslim ignorance & phobia towards islam and muslims. - with no actual basis.

Had Muslims been 'forcibly converting' the oh-so-poor victimised nonmuslims all along - Half the world today would be Muslim, and Islam would not be the fastest growing religion today...

Ramadhan Mubarak everyone...

-------------

Date Posted: 22 August 2009 at 9:28am
@ Chrysalis

Why is Islam spreading quickly?

1. Muslims consider their children to be Muslims. So, as Muslim families grow, so do the statistics.

2. People desire to belong to a group...and individualistic cultures leave many people feeling a bit bereft. (The Islamic Ummah opens its arms to all races and cultures--as long as you conform to the Islamic culture after conversion.)

3. In the West, people are not subjected to Islamic law. So, people are free to practice their religion as they see fit. If new converts to Islam do not want to follow Islam the way the earliest Muslims did, they don't have to.

By the way, it is illogical to try and prove that Islam is peaceful and the truth because it is the fastest growing religion. You are trying to make an argument based on the logical fallacy known as Appeal to Popularity.

The thing is, only the religious aspect of Islam may be growing but its political and military aspects are not keeping up with it. That is because non-Muslims are in positions of authority in the West. Islam is more than just a religion. It is a way of life that incorporates a rule of law for everything: economics, marriage, clothing, diet, entertainment, military, crime & punishment, etc. So, really...Islam is not the fastest growing considering it is not being fully implemented.

I brought up Pakistan to show how Muslims will use their religion as an excuse to break away from authority and separate themselves forcing Hindus and Sikhs to either convert or leave. Tens of thousands of people died because of it.

You wrote: The same right that the portugese, british, americans, french, christian armies etc etc had to colonise, and build thier empires. It was the norm of the day. It happened.

In case you missed the initial crux of the discussion - you were trying to prove how muslims have been forcibly converting people all this time - or 'most of the time' however you wanna twist that. We are not discussing the ethics/moralities of empire-building. If you want to discuss that, thats a seperate issue entirely, and not one that pertains to 'islam' as such.

Bottomline: Had muslims been forcibly converting people - all the areas they ruled would be 'forcibly' muslim by now.

The Portuguese, British, etc. had no right to do what they did. Are you telling me that the followers of the perfect truth were simply doing what everyone else did? They lowered themselves to the level of the kufaar?

Like I said, it is not always about forced conversion. In reality, it is more about forced submission. Forced conversion is convenient in the beginning when trying to increase income and troops and earn yourself a ruthless reputation (which is what happened in the Arabian peninsula in the 7th century AD.) You can't force large groups of people (ie nations) to submit to you if you do not have a large enough number of followers to begin with. However, once you have a vast enough army, then forced conversions are no longer necessary (and they are also quite impractical.)

The point of the matter is that forced conversion has occurred at the hands of Muslims since the time of Muhammad, and it continues to happen today.

Force conversion works one of two ways:

1. Person points weapon at your head or throat and says, "convert or I will kill you."

2. Person makes your life a living hell because you are not a follower of their religion...causing you to choose between four options (not all of which are available depending on the circumstances): moving away, fighting back, continuing to suffer, or converting to their religion.

You wrote: I'm sure the coptic christians have had thier bad days, like anyother community.

Fact remains - they have survived perfectly fine without bieng forcibly converted by thier muslim rulers for centuries...

So are you saying that survival is all that matters...nevermind truly living as a free human being? They don't have to be forcibly converted because they are outnumbered and are easily forced to submit. Forced conversion only happens when the Islamic State is threatened.

So?

The point was - no muslim army ever advanced to Indonesia - how did the majority become Muslim?

Indonesia is not an Islamic State because no army ever forced it to be one. It wasn't until the 13th century that Muslim merchants began spreading Islam there. The Hindu kings converted to Islam. Once the monarchies (which had control over their respective nations) were Muslim, then their countries followed suit. (You might want to look into the Muslim attacks on Thailand, though, that occurred once the leader of Indonesia became Muslim.)

Bottomline: alleged 'forced conversions' by Muslims as a whole is simply a classic e.g of nonmuslim ignorance & phobia towards islam and muslims. - with no actual basis.

Forced Conversions (in modern times, nevermind the examples I already provided of it happening in Muhammad's time)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,273075,00.html -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6412453.stm -

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/religionreport/stories/2007/1937124.htm -

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/08/opinion/08iht-edisaac.1.5618504.html?_r=1 -

http://www.aina.org/news/20070518111715.htm -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/1146224.stm -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4080777.stm -

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/08/27/fox.journalists/index.html -

http://www.engagemedia.org/Members/yuthra65/videos/Conversion_issue.mp4/view -

http://www.speroforum.com/a/15847/Christian-girls-forced-to-convert-to-Islam -

Examples of Religious Intolerance in Islamic Countries

Iran

http://www.voanews.com/english/archive/2009-02/2009-02-14-voa19.cfm?CFID=272539437&CFTOKEN=44632442&jsessionid=84308c1e875b90d1e60a41294d4f49766452 -
http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2009/02/06/local-optometrist-remembers-religious-persecution-iran/ - http://www.bosnewslife.com/3639-3639-news-alert-iran-police-detain-christian-who -
http://thepersecutiontimes.com/category/country/iran/ - Saudi Arabia

http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/irf/2007/90220.htm - http://www.leaderu.com/common/saudiarabia.html - Pakistan

http://www.punjabnewsline.com/content/view/15239/38/ - http://www.cswusa.com/Reports%20Pages/Reports-Pakistan.htm -
- http://www.thepersecution.org/news/09/salem0806.html

Had Muslims been 'forcibly converting' the oh-so-poor victimised nonmuslims all along - Half the world today would be Muslim, and Islam would not be the fastest growing religion today...

It was more about forcing submission...which is what would have happened throughout Europe if armies like those of the Franks hadn't stopped them. Forced conversion is not necessary if non-Muslims are in a state of submission and the Islamic State is not under any threat.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 August 2009 at 3:42pm
Natassia,
after reading you and your silly arguments it is obvious that you don;t have any serious intention to learn rather force your opinion upon others, and get upset when they don't believe you. That's pittyful and a shame, but you choose what you do, you are going to reap it.
There is a term in geology that says " present is the key to the past"
You don't need to know what happened in the past if all you are going to do is to deny it. So like a geologist, we will apply this and see what has been going on in our times in terms of spreading of Islam. You  and I live in today's world, so you can believe as an eye witness that what is going on is true.
Despite a global effort to control the spread of Islam (in our eye witnessed history), Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world. This fact use to circulate around the globe just ten years ago very openly after the publishing of the century report by the Catholic church. This report showed Islam as the fastest growing religion by a big margin, in double digit percentage numbers in 20th century.
Unlike Christian conversions of low cast Hindus and of the poor and the orphens in India, poor and orphens of Africa and other poor countries which still turned out to be only in fractions, the coversions to Islam was not by exploiting the disadvantaged or the poor, but by people from all walks of life and mostly in the Western hamisphere where people have more, education, wealth and freedom.
No swords, no armies, no forcing, no compulsion and no proof of such fake cries and lies, just plain truth. And like I said that is despite the full scale efforts to oppose this spread through all hidden and open methods by those who are going to end up as loosers one day anyway, as they not only deny the truth of submission to their Creator, but on top mislead others. And as expected, their punishment will pile up to be rightly most severe for what they do.

May God guide you to the right and the truth, seek His guidence in this month of blessings. Seek His forgiveness and mercy by speaking and spreading only the truth.

Hasan

-------------

Date Posted: 22 August 2009 at 11:35pm

@ honeto/Hasan

after reading you and your silly arguments it is obvious that you don;t have any serious intention to learn rather force your opinion upon others, and get upset when they don't believe you. That's pittyful and a shame, but you choose what you do, you are going to reap it. (No logical bearing on this discussion.)

There is a term in geology that says " present is the key to the past" (We're not talking about rocks.)

You don't need to know what happened in the past if all you are going to do is to deny it. So like a geologist, we will apply this and see what has been going on in our times in terms of spreading of Islam. You and I live in today's world, so you can believe as an eye witness that what is going on is true. (I also see an incredibly high number of violent acts being perpetrated by Islamists. Should I just show them a blind eye?)

Despite a global effort to control the spread of Islam (in our eye witnessed history), Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world. (There has not been a global effort to control the spread of Islam. There was a global effort for quite some time to control the spread of communism...but Islam? No.) This fact use to circulate around the globe just ten years ago very openly after the publishing of the century report by the Catholic church. This report showed Islam as the fastest growing religion by a big margin, in double digit percentage numbers in 20th century. (Do you think ex-Muslims in Saudi Arabia or Iran report their conversion to other faiths or atheism?)

Unlike Christian conversions of low cast Hindus and of the poor and the orphens in India, poor and orphens of Africa and other poor countries which still turned out to be only in fractions, the coversions to Islam was not by exploiting the disadvantaged or the poor, but by people from all walks of life and mostly in the Western hamisphere where people have more, http://www.islamicity.com/forum/l - education , wealth and freedom. (Exactly my point. You can't truly practice Islamic law in the West, so the religious aspect of Islam appeals to people...whereas most Westerners are downright ignorant about shariah law and are probably quite uninformed regarding the more detailed writings of the Hadith and Tafsirs.)

No swords, no armies, no forcing, no compulsion and no proof of such fake cries and lies, just plain truth. (Uh huh. Just ignore all those persecution reports.) And like I said that is despite the full scale efforts to oppose this spread through all hidden and open methods by those who are going to end up as loosers one day anyway, as they not only deny the truth of submission to their Creator, but on top mislead others. And as expected, their punishment will pile up to be rightly most severe for what they do. (Typical Islamic propoganda.)

May God guide you to the right and the truth, seek His guidence in this month of blessings. Seek His forgiveness and mercy by speaking and spreading only the truth. (You really think God isn't guiding me? Or perhaps it is your Allah who misguides me. Did you ever consider that?)

-------------

Posted By: Andalus
Date Posted: 23 August 2009 at 1:05am

I am made uneasy by these verses as well:

8:22

8:55

9:5

9:28-30

98:6

I always wondered how Muslims reconciled the verse about no compulsion in religion with the verses that speak about fighting people until they become Muslims as well as reconciling them with the Hadiths that describe forced conversion.  That's why I decided to research the context of the "no compulsion" verse as well as the concept of abrogation.

From the Tafsir Ibn Kathir (found at http://www.tafsir.com/ - ):

[2:256] There is no compulsion in religion. Verily, the right path has become distinct from the wrong path. Whoever disbelieves in Taghut and believes in Allah, then he has grasped the most trustworthy handhold that will never break. And Allah is All-Hearer, All-Knower.

Allah said, There is no compulsion in religion, meaning, "Do not force anyone to become Muslim, for Islam is plain and clear, and its proofs and evidence are plain and clear. Therefore, there is no need to force anyone to embrace Islam. Rather, whoever Allah directs to Islam, opens his heart for it and enlightens his mind, will embrace Islam with certainty. Whoever Allah blinds his heart and seals his hearing and sight, then he will not benefit from being forced to embrace Islam.''

It was reported that the Ansar were the reason behind revealing this Ayah, although its indication is general in meaning. Ibn Jarir recorded that Ibn `Abbas said [that before Islam], "When (an Ansar) woman would not bear children who would live, she would vow that if she gives birth to a child who remains alive, she would raise him as a Jew. When Banu An-Nadir (the Jewish tribe) were evacuated [from Al-Madinah], some of the children of the Ansar were being raised among them, and the Ansar said, `We will not abandon our children.' Allah revealed, There is no compulsion in religion. Verily, the right path has become distinct from the wrong path.'' Abu Dawud and An-Nasa'i also recorded this Hadith.

As for the Hadith that Imam Ahmad recorded, in which Anas said that the Messenger of Allah said to a man,"Embrace Islam.'' The man said, "I dislike it.'' The Prophet said, "Even if you dislike it.''

First, this is an authentic Hadith, with only three narrators between Imam Ahmad and the Prophet . However, it is not relevant to the subject under discussion, for the Prophet did not force that man to become Muslim. The Prophet merely invited this man to become Muslim, and he replied that he does not find himself eager to become Muslim. The Prophet said to the man that even though he dislikes embracing Islam, he should still embrace it, `for Allah will grant you sincerity and true intent.'

From the Tafsir Ibn Kathir (found at http://www.tafsir.com/ - ):

[2:106] Whatever a verse (revelation) do Nansakh (We abrogate) or Nunsiha (cause to be forgotten), We bring a better one or similar to it. Know you not that Allah is Able to do all things

To read about the meaning of nanskh: http://www.tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=2&tid=2938 -

It has been narrated on the authority of Abdullah b. 'Umar that the Messenger of Allah said: I have been commanded to fight against people till they testify that there is no god but Allah, that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah, and they  prayer, and pay Zakat and if they do it, their blood and property are guaranteed protection on my behalf except when justified by law, and their affairs rest with Allah.

See these additional hadith:

Also, read the story about Abu Sufyan's forced conversion in Ibn Ishaq's Sirat Rasoul Allah.

Once more your cursory attempt at scholarship only reveals just how ignorant you are. One key bit of evidence that tells me you are simply out of your league is the incoherent nature of your contribution. It really does not make a solid point, except your opposition to Islam, and you vaguely mash in some quotes and then �handwave� as a means to show everyone how truthful your belief is. Lets try and make sense of this convoluted mishap.

Nansakh and Nunsiha

You cranked out a very interesting topic. Our scholars actually study at the feet of a scholar for decades to fully understand this subject and to be able to apply it to matters of religion and theological discussion. So you start with 2:256, appeal to the concept of Nanskh and Nunsiha, claim a study of it, and then, �shazam� (handwaving), you paste some hadith, and make an unclear conclusion implying that your opposition to Islam is justified.

Since you claim you have reseacrhed this, could you please show us how 2:256 was applied to a legal ruling governing forced conversions and show us how Nansakh was applied? You must know something I do not. I only ask this because if you are to make such bold claims with my religious texts, then I expect you to back up your claims. If not, then leave the scholarly material of my faith to scholars.

Now, your major misunderstanding comes from your inability to separate jihad and qital, from compulsion in faith. The two are not the same. If they were, your faith would have been wiped out from the middle east long ago. You cannot be a Muslim unless you believe with your heart. Outward actions do not make you a Muslim, and this idea is why there should not be any compulsion in Islam. Only you can choose to follow God on the right path. So any verse about fighting does not conflict with the no compulsion verse. And nansakh/nunsiha does not play a role in this instance.

So we have two examples where no one was forced to convert. At this point you loosely invoke �abrogation� as if this has now changed. 

It has been narrated on the authority of Abdullah b. 'Umar that the Messenger of Allah said: I have been commanded to fight against people till they testify that there is no god but Allah, that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah, and they  prayer, and pay Zakat and if they do it, their blood and property are guaranteed protection on my behalf except when justified by law, and their affairs rest with Allah.

There is no coercion in this hadith. Jihad is not coercion. Understanding the hadith implies you understand the rules of warfare in Islam, and the understanding that there is no compulsion.

It is a story that took place in the early days of Islam and deals with raids. There is no coercion rulings.

Has to do with making the sacred land for Muslims only, there is no ruling on coercion.

I am bored, and have stopped looking at your evidences. If you want to find some real dirt, take a look at Jesus in your OT�He LOVED to kill people�did not even find out if they were going to convert, or pay a special tax. Nope, he flat out had people killed�babies, women, did not matter. So when did Jesus change His mind about children and why? 

-------------
A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/

Date Posted: 24 August 2009 at 6:27am

Once more your cursory attempt at scholarship only reveals just how ignorant you are. One key bit of evidence that tells me you are simply out of your league is the incoherent nature of your contribution. It really does not make a solid point, except your opposition to Islam, and you vaguely mash in some quotes and then "handwave" as a means to show everyone how truthful your belief is. Lets try and make sense of this convoluted mishap.

Really?

I could have sworn that I proved that compulsion does happen in Islam. It happened under Muhammad's leadership, and it continues to happen today. I also proved that there really wasn't any religious tolerance under Muhammad's leadership. The only religions tolerated were those of the people of the Book, and only then after they had been forced into submission.

You cranked out a very interesting topic. Our scholars actually study at the feet of a scholar for decades to fully understand this subject and to be able to apply it to matters of religion and theological discussion. So you start with 2:256, appeal to the concept of Nanskh and Nunsiha, claim a study of it, and then, "shazam" (handwaving), you paste some hadith, and make an unclear conclusion implying that your opposition to Islam is justified.

Since you claim you have reseacrhed this, could you please show us how 2:256 was applied to a legal ruling governing forced conversions and show us how Nansakh was applied? You must know something I do not. I only ask this because if you are to make such bold claims with my religious texts, then I expect you to back up your claims. If not, then leave the scholarly material of my faith to scholars.

I'm simply showing how abrogation can be applied. Now, think about this...if 2:256 was not abrogated, then all of those other Quran verses telling Muslims to fight people until they convert or submit, and all those Hadith describing Muhammad and his followers as forcing conversions and submissions prove them to be hypocrites.

OR if it wasn't really abrogated, then 2:256 isn't really about not forcing people to believe in Islam but is strictly related to its historical context with the women and their infants. (Which means Muslims should stop quoting it in their attempt to prove that there is no compulsion in Islam.)

It's one of three ways:

2:256 was abrogated by later verses telling Muslims to force conversions

2:256 was not abrogated by later verses but it even applies to not forcing people into Islam, therefore we have quite a confusing and hypocritical mess, don't we?

2:256 was not abrogated because it only referred to that particular situation with the women and their children and really only applies to inner compulsion...not compulsion of non-Muslims.

Now, your major misunderstanding comes from your inability to separate jihad and qital, from compulsion in faith. The two are not the same. If they were, your faith would have been wiped out from the middle east long ago. You cannot be a Muslim unless you believe with your heart. Outward actions do not make you a Muslim, and this idea is why there should not be any compulsion in Islam. Only you can choose to follow God on the right path. So any verse about fighting does not conflict with the no compulsion verse. And nansakh/nunsiha does not play a role in this instance.

I'm trying hard not to scoff at this. It seems to me that jihad in the Quran is primarily about PHYSICAL fighting (especially if we keep things in their historical context). And qital...it looks like that is also evidenced in the Quran.

Once the Holy Prophet was constrained to say: "I intend to tell the Muazzin (person who calls the Azaan) to call out the takbir and ask someone to lead the prayer and I myself set the house of that person on fire who did not attended the congregational prayer." (Bukhari & Muslim) http://www.inter-islam.org/Actions/Congregation.html

Are you trying to say that fighting people until they are forced to convert to Islam is not compulsion?

There is no coercion in this hadith. Jihad is not coercion. Understanding the hadith implies you understand the rules of warfare in Islam, and the understanding that there is no compulsion. (Muslim 1:33)

So, fighting people until only Islam remains is not compulsion? What is that then?

What happened to just remaining where you are in peace, living by the fruit of your hands, and practicing your religion where you live? Why did Muhammad have to fight people throughout the entire Arabian peninsula? Why did the Muslims have to try and spread Islam by the sword outside of the Arabian peninsula?

It is a story that took place in the early days of Islam and deals with raids. There is no coercion rulings. (Muslim 19:4294)

I'm laughing. Seriously. So, those raids...besieging forts...Muslims aren't allowed to do that anymore? Only Muhammad and his close companions were allowed to attack and loot?

Has to do with making the sacred land for Muslims only, there is no ruling on coercion. (Muslim 19:4366)

Why are Muslims allowed to do this but the Christians and Jews are not? And in the process of making this land sacred....did that involve forcing conversion? I think it did (as is evidenced by the stories in the Hadith.)

I am bored, and have stopped looking at your evidences. If you want to find some real dirt, take a look at Jesus in your OT�He LOVED to kill people�did not even find out if they were going to convert, or pay a special tax. Nope, he flat out had people killed�babies, women, did not matter. So when did Jesus change His mind about children and why?

Ad hominem tu quoque. (And you provided no evidence anyway.)

-------------

Posted By: BMZ
Date Posted: 25 August 2009 at 1:52am
@ Natassia

Just to let you know that Qur'aan has only abrogated the past Scriptures.

Qur'aan does not abrogate any of it's own verses.

2:256 stands valid.

BMZ

-------------
Shasta's Aunt: "Well, there's the difference you see. The Bible was written by man about God, The Quran was revealed to man by God."

Posted By: Andalus
Date Posted: 26 August 2009 at 6:38am

Once more your cursory attempt at scholarship only reveals just how ignorant you are. One key bit of evidence that tells me you are simply out of your league is the incoherent nature of your contribution. It really does not make a solid point, except your opposition to Islam, and you vaguely mash in some quotes and then "handwave" as a means to show everyone how truthful your belief is. Lets try and make sense of this convoluted mishap.

Really?

I could have sworn that I proved that compulsion does happen in Islam. It happened under Muhammad's leadership, and it continues to happen today. I also proved that there really wasn't any religious tolerance under Muhammad's leadership. The only religions tolerated were those of the people of the Book, and only then after they had been forced into submission.

Yes really. I clearly showed that the only thing you proved was your complete ignorance and sophmoric approach to religion. You did not prove any "compulsion" rule in Islam. Please go back and re read what I gave you before you make such an assinine claim again.

Now if you want to read up on a faith that has the largest "compulsion" of religion read your own faith. In the last 2000 years, your clerics are the biggest violators. You suffer from what is call the "plank in your eye" syndrome. I find christians are the biggest sufferers of this afflication. Too bad your dying man god did not take care of that one nasty blimish that haunts your faith.

You cranked out a very interesting topic. Our scholars actually study at the feet of a scholar for decades to fully understand this subject and to be able to apply it to matters of religion and theological discussion. So you start with 2:256, appeal to the concept of Nanskh and Nunsiha, claim a study of it, and then, "shazam" (handwaving), you paste some hadith, and make an unclear conclusion implying that your opposition to Islam is justified.

I'm simply showing how abrogation can be applied. Now, think about this...if 2:256 was not abrogated, then all of those other Quran verses telling Muslims to fight people until they convert or submit, and all those Hadith describing Muhammad and his followers as forcing conversions and submissions prove them to be hypocrites.

Irrelevant. No on is arguing that abrrogation does or does not exist. This is not the topic and your attempt at this petty strawman reveals your duplicity.

Nice try.

And by the way, once more, none of the examples you provided indicate any kind of "axiom" about the claims you are making. In fact, you are just making things up as you copy and paste your way through life.

OR if it wasn't really abrogated, then 2:256 isn't really about not forcing people to believe in Islam but is strictly related to its historical context with the women and their infants. (Which means Muslims should stop quoting it in their attempt to prove that there is no compulsion in Islam.)

You have not yet shown a precedence where forced conversion is endorsed.

So there is nothing on the topic that is or is not abbrogated. In other words, you are simply pulling things out of your christ saved rear end to compensate for your lack of critical thinking skills. Seriously. You have not even gotten to first base and you are jumping up and down about a home run.

Show that an "infants and women" case creates a precedence in Islam for forced conversions. ass-ertions prove nothing. More of your big claims.

It's one of three ways:

2:256 was abrogated by later verses telling Muslims to force conversions

2:256 was not abrogated by later verses but it even applies to not forcing people into Islam, therefore we have quite a confusing and hypocritical mess, don't we?

2:256 was not abrogated because it only referred to that particular situation with the women and their children and really only applies to inner compulsion...not compulsion of non-Muslims.

The foundation of your claim is an ass-ertion, please PROVE the foundation. You are too used to dealing with people who agree with you. There is no choir to preach to here. If you make a claim, back it up.

You are putting the cart before the ox.

I'm trying hard not to scoff at this. It seems to me that jihad in the Quran is primarily about PHYSICAL fighting (especially if we keep things in their historical context). And qital...it looks like that is also evidenced in the Quran.

I do not doubt that you are finding it hard not to scoff this off. This happens when someone is intellectually incompetent or when their critical thinking skills are surpassed by the topic. Hang in their kid, even with your jaded prejudices and plank in the eye syndrome there may still be hope for you.

So again, are you able to comprehend that one thing does not mean another? Or is this too big for you?

Once the Holy Prophet was constrained to say: "I intend to tell the Muazzin (person who calls the Azaan) to call out the takbir and ask someone to lead the prayer and I myself set the house of that person on fire who did not attended the congregational prayer." (Bukhari & Muslim) http://www.inter-islam.org/Actions/Congregation.html

Are you trying to say that fighting people until they are forced to convert to Islam is not compulsion?

LOL......God loves babies and idiots. This hadith is not a rule to burn houses, the hadith is about the seriousness of congregational prayer for those who are close enough to the mosque to make the prayer. The Prophet (pbuh) was referring to Muslims who were not making the congregational prayer. Your ability to discern theological matters REALLY "sux"....really. How old are you?

There is no coercion in this hadith. Jihad is not coercion. Understanding the hadith implies you understand the rules of warfare in Islam, and the understanding that there is no compulsion. (Muslim 1:33)

So, fighting people until only Islam remains is not compulsion? What is that then?

Meaning Islam remains as the dominant theolgocial justice, not until everyone is Muslim. There is a difference. Muslim, Islam...Muslim, Islam. One is the faith, the other is the one who practices the faith. Realy....can you not get this?

What happened to just remaining where you are in peace, living by the fruit of your hands, and practicing your religion where you live? Why did Muhammad have to fight people throughout the entire Arabian peninsula? Why did the Muslims have to try and spread Islam by the sword outside of the Arabian peninsula?

I already replied about the Arabian peninsula.
And nothing is wrong with living in peace and if Islam taught other wise then you faith would have been wiped out in the middle east. You do know it was not an oddity to see Christian regiments being part of the Muslim army int the early days all the way through the Ottoman period. You do know that right?

Why did Christians use the sword for mass conversions? Islamic theology was spread partially through conquest, but also a great deal of it was spread through trade. Keep in mind we are referring to the religion and not to conversions. As far as being spread by the sword, this is a topic that cannot be generalized and though it is off topic (your claim is forced conversion remember?), I would be happy to debate the elements of spreading the faith...compared to your faith. Contrast and compare, that way we take each instance as its own exmaple.

It is a story that took place in the early days of Islam and deals with raids. There is no coercion rulings. (Muslim 19:4294)

I'm laughing. Seriously. So, those raids...besieging forts...Muslims aren't allowed to do that anymore? Only Muhammad and his close companions were allowed to attack and loot?

I am sorry. It appears that you are easily amused, which is not my problem. What you should be concerned with is your poor reasoning skills. The topic is about forced conversion, your are now creating a red herring. You can start a new topic and discuss the ideas of raids in islam. The last I checked, Christians and Jews are quite good at them these days. If you have a problem with raids, then discuss it in a seperare thread.

Has to do with making the sacred land for Muslims only, there is no ruling on coercion. (Muslim 19:4366)

Why are Muslims allowed to do this but the Christians and Jews are not? And in the process of making this land sacred....did that involve forcing conversion? I think it did (as is evidenced by the stories in the Hadith.)

Actually you did. read you history. So did Jews. Read your bible.

Ad hominem tu quoque. (And you provided no evidence anyway.)

Ad hominem tu quoque? LOL...now this is the time for laughter. Do you even know what this means? No sporto, there is no "ad hominem tu quoque (at least get rid of the bold lettering so it does not look like copy and paste).

1) You have not proven any precedence in Islam for commading followers to commit forced conversions.
2) What you have accused Muslims of doing is committed by your God. One is not being used by the other to argue anything by me.

The proof is in your bible. Do you want me to hash out the verses or are you really this obtuse and do not believe that such events occured in your "OT", that was during the days when Jesus was a rough and tough Cowboy Jehova....where collateral damage was never a problem. LOL....that is funny.

-------------
A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/

Date Posted: 26 August 2009 at 8:41am

@ Chrysalis

Why is Islam spreading quickly?

1. Muslims consider their children to be Muslims. So, as Muslim families grow, so do the statistics

Uhhh, ok.

Yes, birth-rate is one of the reasons why Islam is growing globally. The other reason is conversions to Islam. Islam is not only growing, it is spreading . . . refer to CNN article (just one e.g of a source)

And mind you, Muslims did not spread in the world based on birth rates alone. . . masses converting to Islam has a lot to with its spread. Which is why the growing Muslim population is not restricted to a particular race, ethnicty or nation - rather, there is a diverse mixture of races and ethnicities involved - which logically denotes conversions, not just birthrates.

Quote 2. People desire to belong to a group...and individualistic cultures leave many people feeling a bit bereft. (The Islamic Ummah opens its arms to all races and cultures--as long as you conform to the Islamic culture after conversion.)

Agree with the part in bold. One of the many reasons why people opt for Islam is its sense of community and importance of society. Family bieng the core unit of the society... not to mention its tolerance/equality towards all sorts of races and ethnicties.

3. In the West, people are not subjected to Islamic law. So, people are free to practice their religion as they see fit. If new converts to Islam do not want to follow Islam the way the earliest Muslims did, they don't have to.

So?

How and what point does this prove?

Btw, even in muslim majority countries that try to implement some semblance of islamic law, muslims are not forced to practise Islam. Its a given, its something that you either do, or you dont. Save perhaps 2 countries I can think of at the moment, the average muslim is not forced or pressured into practising Islam. If we do, it is because we feel the need to or want to - not because some external force is pressuring us!

By the way, it is illogical to try and prove that Islam is peaceful and the truth because it is the fastest growing religion. You are trying to make an argument based on the logical fallacy known as Appeal to Popularity.

Dont tell me you're one of those people who are either philosophy students or have taken a course or two, and join such forums for some pseudeo-intellectual adrenaline rush.... We get a lot of those here. . .

The point is - Islam is the fastest growing religion today, if it did not provide the masses with some sort of benefit or spiritual allure, it would not be the fastest spreading religion today. I brought in this fact in response to your 'forced conversion' theory . . . if 'forced conversions' are part and parcel of Islam/Muslims - then who is forcing these current accelerating conversions today? How many forced conversions are going in the USA? the UK?

Had Islam really  been the way you and the likes of you percieve it to be - it would have withered down and become defunct long ago, like the many other religions today.

As for your 'Appeal to Popularity' . . . I agree, just because the masses believe in something, does not make it auomatically correct. And Muslims really dont need this concept to prove anything about Islam anyway.

Besides, I dont think this concept even applies here. . . the global majority as a whole today does not believe Islam to be correct, nor peaceful, nor the truth. If anything, Muslims today are bieng cornered by the media and those in authority . . . so Islam is not exactly very popular today - globally. Even if we wanted to, we couldnt use appeal to popularity.

Infact, if you are supporting Islam, or practising it - you're going against the tide - not mingling with a popular/universal opinion at all.

The thing is, only the religious aspect of Islam may be growing but its political and military aspects are not keeping up with it.

Agreed.  So ?

An unfortunate reality yes, the Ummah has some aspects it needs to work on and fix. . . . but what exactly are you trying to prove?

That is because non-Muslims are in positions of authority in the West. Islam is more than just a religion. It is a way of life that incorporates a rule of law for everything: economics, marriage, clothing, diet, entertainment, military, crime & punishment, etc. So, really...Islam is not the fastest growing considering it is not being fully implemented.

Agree with the part in bold. Again, one of the all-encompassing, holistic aspects of Islam that appeal to people.

As for your last sentece: ???? I will have to agree with Hassan here, some of your "arguments" are plain silly and make no sense. How do you know at all  whether or not the aspects you mentioned are bieng implemented at all? Brings us back to the 'ignorance' all over again.

Contrary to what you believe, almost all of the above aspects of Islam are widely practised - almost on a day-to-day basis by Muslims all over the world.   This is what makes Islam different from the other defunct, expired religions: it is not something restricted to a church/temple/annual occasions/ or a book. The only other religious followers today (that i can think of) who try to follow some semblance of thier religion are orthodox Jews and hindus.

A majority of muslims today pratcise Islam habitually. As a part of thier daily routine! Whether it is prayers, fasting, diet, clothing, economics: zakat, sadaqah, marriage, ablutions/hygine, etc! The only aspect where we lack may be polictial or military - and that too because we are currently not in a global position of authority!

I brought up Pakistan to show how Muslims will use their religion as an excuse to break away from authority and separate themselves forcing Hindus and Sikhs to either convert or leave. Tens of thousands of people died because of it.

Looks like I shall have to explain subcontinental history anyway.

First of all, Muslims did not use any 'excuses' to 'break away from authority' ! They had valid reasons!!! Simple example, Muslims in India today cannot even eat beef or slaughter a cow in peace! Talk about a 'secular' state!

Btw, which authority are you talking about anyway? The illegal British one? We challenged that authority together with the nonmuslims of India. . .it was a mutual struggle. There was no 'legitimate' authority in India.

And who said Hindus and Sikhs were either forced to convert or leave? Sindh has the largest Hindu population in Pakistan, they wished to stay, they stayed. Punjab still is home to many Sikhs to wished to stay on thier land! Indian Sikhs visit Lahore annually for thier annual religous festival at the Golden Temple in Lahore!!! They were not forced to leave or converted!

Migration was a choice for the people. If either party wished to stay in either territory, they were allowed to!

Tens of thousands of people were killed by the British in the war for independence.  . .muslims/nonmuslims alike! Things like that happen when you are trying to break free from illegetimate rule.

Quote The Portuguese, British, etc. had no right to do what they did. Are you telling me that the followers of the perfect truth were simply doing what everyone else did? They lowered themselves to the level of the kufaar?

Under Islam - There is no harm in following a norm of the day/age - as long as it does not go against the basic principles of Islam. In every time and age trends differ. If it is morally wrong, and goes against Islam - then you have to say No and stand up.

The interesting thing to note however is - if the Portugeuse and the Brits were also responsible for the same thing, how come you have a particular bone to pick with Muslims? We were simply trying to survive in a time and age where might was right . . . It was an unfortunate reality of the time - either you were in authority, or you were victimised/suppressed/attacked. Naturally Muslims preferred the former. And what a blessing for the non-Christian minorities of the time that Muslims chose to fight for authority! or they would have had to live under suppressive, middleaged Christian rule. Thanks to the Muslim empire - global civilisation gained a lot. So look on the bright side... In our defense, we stopped attacking countries loooong ago. . . It would be nice if your side stopped too.

Quote Like I said, it is not always about forced conversion. In reality, it is more about forced submission.

Yeah, somewhere down the line your stance switched from 'forced conversions' to 'forced submission'. Donno whatchu mean.

Forced conversion is convenient in the beginning when trying to increase income and troops and earn yourself a ruthless reputation (which is what happened in the Arabian peninsula in the 7th century AD.)

I dont know why its in your head that the initial Muslims were forcibly converted! You cannot build a ruthless, loyal, cohesive unit of an army that consists of 'forcibly' converted, victimised people. In order to have the metal, drive and motivation to fight for a cause - you have to believe in it! You are talking about a time when wars were won based on individual efforts of the soldiers, they didnt have guns and tanks. . . . so unless the Muslim Army was fiercly loyal to thier cause and commanders, they couldnt have achieved what they did. They fought for thier cause willingly.

Whenever a people were forced by thier government to fight a war or a cause - they have failed. See Vietnam War, Iraq war . . . etc.

Quote You can't force large groups of people (ie nations) to submit to you if you do not have a large enough number of followers to begin with. However, once you have a vast enough army, then forced conversions are no longer necessary (and they are also quite impractical.)

I dont even know what you are trying to prove anymore. I can see that now your emphasis is on 'forced submission' rather than your initial claim of forced conversions. . . Duh, during Wars - you force your opponent to submit! Isnt that what Christian Armies did? What USA did? Isnt that what any army does? during times of war?

The question that arises is - where/how did that initial 'large enough number of followers' begin with in the first place? Like I explained before - forced conversions may provide you with statistics, or a 'quantity' or even a 'label' . . . they do not however provide you with a functioning, loyal, cohesive public - that constitutes the army - or fiercly backs thier community/leaders . . . .had that initial number of people been a suppressed, victimised lot - I doubt we would even be having this discussion. . . there would have been no Muslim Empire. The Muslims would have lost the first war they fought.

The point of the matter is that forced conversion has occurred at the hands of Muslims since the time of Muhammad, and it continues to happen today.

Just repeating that to yourself, or on this forum does not make it true - unfortunately for you. Pl re-read the previous posts by me and other members on this subject.

Force conversion works one of two ways:

1. Person points weapon at your head or throat and says, "convert or I will kill you."

2. Person makes your life a living hell because you are not a follower of their religion...causing you to choose between four options (not all of which are available depending on the circumstances): moving away, fighting back, continuing to suffer, or converting to their religion.

Option # 1 - Moving Away: That is exactly what the Jews living under Christian rule did. They moved away - and migrated to Muslim controlled areas under the Ottoman Empire. I do not see examples of nonmuslims moving away from Muslim controlled areas, fleeing to other territories. In anycase - nonmuslims were free to move about, enter or leave Muslim territories. They were in no way pressurised nor was thier life made a living hell. Au contraire, the Jews enjoyed a golden peak period during the Ottoman Empire - where they were actually allowed to function as contributing members of the society, holding government offices even. Which is why they chose to move away from christian territories.

Option # 2 - Fighting Back: Again, the nonmuslims who feared persecution had the opportunity to ally themselves with the main Muslim opponent at the time, i.e. Christian Army  and fight back . They chose to ally themselves with the Muslims instead.

Option # 3& 4 - Continuing to suffer/ converting: Nonmuslims under Ottoman rule - had to go through niether. Because :

a) they actually were not sufferring, rather were enjoying the maximum possible security/freedom they could have ever hoped to achieve at that time, under any government of the day. On the contrary, they were flourishing.

b) they did not feel compelled to convert on a whole - WHICH IS WHY nonmuslim areas under Ottoman rule maintained thier status quo - and remained nonmuslim. For more details, refer to my very first post on the subject, which gives you living examples of how nonmuslims retained thier identity and religion despite centuries under Muslim rule.

So are you saying that survival is all that matters...nevermind truly living as a free human being?

No, you're saying that..not me.

I was simply correcting your misconception that Muslims have been forcibly converting nonmuslims living under thier rule. E.g Coptic Christians.

They don't have to be forcibly converted because they are outnumbered and are easily forced to submit. Forced conversion only happens when the Islamic State is threatened.

??????

Indonesia is not an Islamic State because no army ever forced it to be one. It wasn't until the 13th century that Muslim merchants began spreading Islam there. The Hindu kings converted to Islam. Once the monarchies (which had control over their respective nations) were Muslim, then their countries followed suit.

Yeah, hence an example of how muslims have not been forcibly converting people.

Quote Chrysalis : Had Muslims been 'forcibly converting' the oh-so-poor victimised nonmuslims all along - Half the world today would be Muslim, and Islam would not be the fastest growing religion today...

Natassia: It was more about forcing submission...which is what would have happened throughout Europe if armies like those of the Franks hadn't stopped them. Forced conversion is not necessary if non-Muslims are in a state of submission and the Islamic State is not under any threat.

Uhhh, oK. Back to forced 'submissions' . . . .

Forget about the Franks 'stopping' us. . .  even While Muslims were ruling - they did not do so.

As for you latter comment . . . That is simply ridiculous! The only time when you can 'force' someone into converting is when you have the upper hand!!!

How can you forcibly convert someone, if you yourself are under threat and no longer in a secure position???? That logic simply doesnt make any sense.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 August 2009 at 4:52pm

@ honeto/Hasan

after reading you and your silly arguments it is obvious that you don;t have any serious intention to learn rather force your opinion upon others, and get upset when they don't believe you. That's pittyful and a shame, but you choose what you do, you are going to reap it. (No logical bearing on this discussion.)

There is a term in geology that says " present is the key to the past" (We're not talking about rocks.)

You don't need to know what happened in the past if all you are going to do is to deny it. So like a geologist, we will apply this and see what has been going on in our times in terms of spreading of Islam. You and I live in today's world, so you can believe as an eye witness that what is going on is true. (I also see an incredibly high number of violent acts being perpetrated by Islamists. Should I just show them a blind eye?)

Despite a global effort to control the spread of Islam (in our eye witnessed history), Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world. (There has not been a global effort to control the spread of Islam. There was a global effort for quite some time to control the spread of communism...but Islam? No.) This fact use to circulate around the globe just ten years ago very openly after the publishing of the century report by the Catholic church. This report showed Islam as the fastest growing religion by a big margin, in double digit percentage numbers in 20th century. (Do you think ex-Muslims in Saudi Arabia or Iran report their conversion to other faiths or atheism?)

Unlike Christian conversions of low cast Hindus and of the poor and the orphens in India, poor and orphens of Africa and other poor countries which still turned out to be only in fractions, the coversions to Islam was not by exploiting the disadvantaged or the poor, but by people from all walks of life and mostly in the Western hamisphere where people have more, http://www.islamicity.com/forum/l - education , wealth and freedom. (Exactly my point. You can't truly practice Islamic law in the West, so the religious aspect of Islam appeals to people...whereas most Westerners are downright ignorant about shariah law and are probably quite uninformed regarding the more detailed writings of the Hadith and Tafsirs.)

No swords, no armies, no forcing, no compulsion and no proof of such fake cries and lies, just plain truth. (Uh huh. Just ignore all those persecution reports.) And like I said that is despite the full scale efforts to oppose this spread through all hidden and open methods by those who are going to end up as loosers one day anyway, as they not only deny the truth of submission to their Creator, but on top mislead others. And as expected, their punishment will pile up to be rightly most severe for what they do. (Typical Islamic propoganda.)

May God guide you to the right and the truth, seek His guidence in this month of blessings. Seek His forgiveness and mercy by speaking and spreading only the truth. (You really think God isn't guiding me? Or perhaps it is your Allah who misguides me. Did you ever consider that?)

Natassia,
you remind me of "believer and Robin" who use to do your job on this forum, they are kind of disappeared as you appeared??
Are you incarn .... ..anyway let us continue:

I will address in order to what you commented:
1- right, no logical bearing on this discussion, when you simply deny facts shown to you. Further your jumping from issue to issue with endless arguments and draging show your real intentions, which I don't need to reveal, its too obvious.

2- right, we are not talking about rocks, but since you and I live in today's world and if you see leaves of a plant green, logic and science help us assume that they were green five hundered years or a thousand years ago too. Even though there is no doubt that the leaves were green then you cannot claim to have witnessed them. But today with your own eyes you see them green and can testify as such. So if you see that there is no sword, no army, no money, no ignorence and no compulsion that is making people to turn to Islam, what I am saying is that you, I and our time is a witness to this fact and if people like you who do not believe the past, the one they did not witness, you have the present as a eye witnessed truth. Will you deny what you and your time sees?

3-You just don't get it, do you? how old are you? or do you not live in this world. First you know that violent acts are committed by people, if you need more than that I will be glad to give you a world history 101 class.
Second I will give a number here, this will give an idea of the truth and real numbers, also its a challenge: Just between 1990 and 1994 more than 2 millions Muslims were killed by Christian armies. In last ten years more than 2 million more. You fill in the gaps of time to figure out the rest. There is no comparison to what you are trying to portray as somethng major. And anything unjust whether be killing or act is un-Islamic in the first place, thus you cannot blame Islam, its the act of people. Just like killings and violent acts committed by those who happen to be Christians don't represent their religion.

4- Again, I would say you are a)out of touch with reality b)deny the facts c)yourself part of that anti-Islamic crusade.
Live and see a day from the eyes fo a Muslim here in the West, and you will know the truth.

5- that is purely a political question, it is wrong to think that those countries practice Islam. The are Muslim countries, but their laws may not be completely in accordance to Islamic teachings. For example, Saudi Arabia has kings and princes who enjoy a luxurious lifestyles generations after generations, that is un-Islamic. Under a true Islamic society all will have protection of law.

5- I see the conversted Western commit to practicing and following more aspects of Islam than those born into it. Does that tell you something?

6 " Uh huh" I don't know what are you talking about, all the converted people I personally met did not face anyone of those things: sword, army, compulsion etc.

7- If you mean your Creator and my Creator, then we are talking of the same. God only guides, its some of us that humble ourself and answer that call, and some of us ignore or reject that call.

Because I believe and care for my life that comes after this one, I acknowledge my Creator and I answer to His call for my own good. And I seek His forgiveness as I make mistakes too.

Hasan

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net